Viewpoint Do you ever play the opposite gender? Do you prefer it?

I used to prefer females, and then I began to prefer males after I found myself getting attached to them, and then I found myself preferring both, so XD yea.

In fairness women absolutely have the jerk with the heart of gold trope too. It’s usually called something like ice queen with the heart of gold.

Virtually every romantic character trope is gender neutral. There are male and female versions of every character type. Usually deliberately so to provide drama (or in more introspective stories to provide a contrast on how the exact same behavior is viewed depending on a characters gender).
I'm aware.

At this point, I'm not sure what I prefer over the other 🤔 I've written plenty of male and female characters, I've also written a fair amount of nonbinary characters. But if I'm doing, say, female or male... Then I definitely have tropes I prefer for either of them. Many of my male characters get the sarcastic asshole or mischievous dummy treatment lol. My female characters tend to get the "Strong woman" or the "Silent woman with heart of gold" treatment. I find it interesting that I don't really think in tropes when creating a nonbinary character though.

Also, since I deal with things like ADHD, depression, anxiety -- A good many of my characters deal with those things as well.

No! I am not at all interested in portraying men, tbh. I am a representation-starved queer, so I won't deprive myself of it in my own writing endeavors as well.

Last edited:
It depends on what the rp has too much of.
Sausagefests and clambakes are both undesirable imo. Or if we're missing certain kind of energy. Like if it's all tomboys and strongmen then I'd bring in the feminine touch; and vice versa.
If I get there first then usually I play female cause then I don't have to do as much pretending.
It's easier to put yourself in someone else's shoes if they're a similar size x)

It depends on what the rp has too much of.
Sausagefests and clambakes are both undesirable imo. Or if we're missing certain kind of energy. Like if it's all tomboys and strongmen then I'd bring in the feminine touch; and vice versa.
If I get there first then usually I play female cause then I don't have to do as much pretending.
It's easier to put yourself in someone else's shoes if they're a similar size x)
^^^Put the words I was writing to perfection. Even though I'm female and prefer playing guys, I lean more towards bringing in characters that mix things up if needed.

any and all work for me! but genuinely? i prefer writing guys. i think it’s because my earliest rps were as a kiddo and nobody else wanted to write the guy, so i always did and just came to prefer it!

Yes I do. It is fun. I also dream that my future wife will be a person that likes stories and Rps and makes a Rp story where she Rps the male character and me the female character. There is a very interesting aspect to that.

i've tried rp'ing as males before. i've personally found them fun to rp as, but i can't draw dudes lmao

i like to draw my characters, but it's a lot harder for me to come up with and draw masculine designs since my designs are generally incredibly feminine in nature. (plus i tend to enjoy female designs more than i do male hahaha)

Definitely. I prefer to play females and males, it's fun and I've been writing for both since I started to roleplay.

I roleplay as females, not that often. I am not that good as RPing as female characters though, they act different compared to my male characters. I RPed as a tomboy too, it wasn't that much of a difference.

I personally don't have a gender preference when it comes down to it. I've role-played male, female, and non-binary characters and it's all the more fun when you have a more diverse set of fictional babies to build up on. In terms of playing the opposite or different genders, it gives me the opportunity to explore ideas from a different perspective, do research about what people's lived experiences are (I tend to prefer realistic characters over caricatures), and learn and understand something new about people in general. It's a win-win, the way I see it.

I play both, I have been around long enough to realize gender doesn't define anyone no more than hair or skin color. I basically get an idea for a character and create, male female, other whatever. It's the story that I like and gender is such a small part.

for me, the only difference between playing a male or female muse is pronouns. that's it. if i like a character, its because of other factors, such as their personality or mannerisms. gender makes no difference imo, and when it comes to ocs, its usually one of the things i decide last ^^,

I write both. It really depends on the plot and what seems to fit it. I don’t mind writing a male character. It’s easy to draw from the real-life experiences of my siblings, cousins, and friends. All it usually comes down to is balance. I usually try to balance the personalities in an RP. Having two chaotic personalities is fun, but could get old without a contrasting partner. ^ _ ^;

for me, the only difference between playing a male or female muse is pronouns. that's it. if i like a character, its because of other factors, such as their personality or mannerisms. gender makes no difference imo, and when it comes to ocs, its usually one of the things i decide last ^^,
i so agree with this
(im in love with your profile)

I think I prefer playing male characters. As some posters have mentioned previously, I started playing more and more dudes because the group RP was lacking them and then I just ended up with more Male OCs then Female ones. Nowadays they tend to be the ones I reach for more often since I play with them so much.

Though I'd like to add I do feel like I have just a few stock Male and Female characters lol. I seem to always fall back on the same two or tree types of male and female characters, just switching them up a little to fit new stories. Might be telling on myself with that, but I also don't want to write characters that are so far out of my wheelhouse they just end up falling flat. If that makes sense. I can try, but I'm always going to be more comfortable with certain tropes for my characters.

Squishyness Squishyness I don’t think there is inherently anything wrong with sticking to a handful of tropes (or honestly even playing variations on a handful of characters).

I think the issue most people have is sort of growing out of the self esteem issues that bind you to one playing self-insert style characters.

Like that mentality that says I have to play characters like me because otherwise people will be mad or make fun of me or I will get things wrong.

It’s totally different than just saying nah I like this one character so I will play them over and over again.

One is a preference the other is an anxiety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back