• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
As Sebastian led Ardyn through the crowds of the market he paid close attention to the pulse of its commerce. From the tone of people haggling to the prices of goods he recognized. It could tell him the early signs of how prices were changing since Lau'sha had been attacked and give him a clue on the honesty of Wahton's traders.

Though the time they spent there was quite insufficient for such information gathering as they soon moved past the busyness of the dock market and towards the harbor masters office. Sebastian had already been here in his own search for their transportation to the dragons cove.

It was through the governors assistance that he had been introduced to a few captains and merchants that might suit the party's needs. Though Sebastian had not found a crew by the time they had gathered in Wahton he had made a number of acquaintances while keeping both his search and motivations quiet.

Upon their arrival Sebastian returned Ardyn's reins to Aranaea before knocking on the harbor masters door.

The door opened, and Sebastian found himself greeted by a pair of green eyes belonging to a young girl no more than ten years of age looking up at him.

"It's rude to stare, Hromi. Let them in, please." Came a powerful, booming voice from further back in the room.

The girl pulled the door open and trotted away as a large burly man sitting inside a windowed office who was sifting through documents while occasionally glancing up at them from beneath his bushy brow.

"Come on in." He called.

With permission granted Sebastian entered the office. "My thanks for the invitation good sir. Though your office has been of assistance to me during my stay in Wahton I have yet to have the honor of meeting you directly. Allow me to rectify that. My name is Sebastian Wyrmsung. It is my pleasure." With his introduction, Sebastian gave a polite bow.

"Wyrmsung... I've heard that name before. It's an honor, sir Sebastian." He said, standing behind his desk and extending a return bow of his own.

"May I ask what brings you to my harbor? I'm afraid we've had quite a bit of activity here of late so if there was a message you left for me I haven't seen it yet."

"Allow me to apologize for our impromptu arrival. As for our business on this occasion, you may have been informed that I am looking for a crew to man a ship for myself and my colleagues. Though this is official business supported by Kallam this endeavor requires some discretion. As such we have been screening candidates before making our offer."

"Otherwise, the governor is simply helping me as a courtesy. Now that my colleagues have arrived a new name has been suggested for us to meet with."

"Firstly, we would like to ask you if he is currently docked in Wahton's harbors. Secondly, given his circumstances and reputation I suspect that it is likely that you would have some experience with the man. The individual in question is known under the name Ragewave. Would you be able to assist us in this matter?"

The Harbor Master listened calmly to Sebastian's explanation before sitting down with a deep inhale.

"Ah... I know the man of which you speak, Sir Sebastian." He grumbled, somewhat grimly.

"In fact... I fear I know him perhaps too well."

The man leaned back in his chair and looked to the side to a drawer in the desk. Inside were dozens of documents which he sifted through using his thumb and index finger before pulling out just one and putting it on the table.

It was a "Wanted" portrait. The man in the painted image seemed... Off. His left eye was slightly larger than his right, and his smile was as crooked as a corrupt politician. He was missing one of his front two teeth, and it looked like his nose had been broken several times. Was this just the artist screwing with his image? Or was it real?

"I'm certain you're aware already of the man's reputation, Sir. And I can't say that it's earned him that many friends. This poster was made one week ago by some folks in strange clothing I've never seen before and posted to that bulleting board by the front door without my approval. I tore it down, of course. But given who's on it I thought it best to keep it just in case."

He slid the poster across the desk towards Sebastian.

"The man comes and goes from this city so randomly it's almost impossible to predict his next appearance. But if he's here, I'd focus my search on the Northern docks near the Tiger's Claw Inn. I had a lad several months ago come in and tell me he'd seen a real weirdo sitting against the back wall of the place muttering to himself with a crazed look in his eye. Most like it's him. And if he's been there once, he'll probably be there again since we know he likes to visit the same spots when he's here."

The man stood up and offered Sebastian a bow.

"I'm afraid this is all I have to offer, Sir Sebastian. I wish I could be of more help."

"Worry not my friend. You have provided us plenty of help already. Though I may not be in this city for long, please contact me if there is anything I can do to return the favor." Sebastian spoke as he gave a bow.

"If you will excuse us, then we will allow you to return to your work. Thank you for sparing your time."

Upon their exit from the harbor masters office Sebastian addressed the party. "Well now, we have both a new destination and a warning. Though it is a bit concerning that he is a wanted man, on the bright side it is an unofficial bounty. As it was posted a week ago we may have some competition in our search. He may even be held as we speak by bounty hunters or criminals. It is a shame we have no one with such unsavory contacts in Wahton with us."

Though he wondered if perhaps the man that had entered the city without alerting the guards of his presence might have the right kind of "friends" to ask such questions. If not then Sebastian might have to make those friends himself.

The news was interesting, and very much more complicated given the severity. Ragewave being a wanted man certainly caused more problems then less to finding Ragewave directly. Aranaea pinched the bridge of her nose in frustration at the news, which did signify the wild goose chase involved with the whole thing.

“A fine time for the blind man and the other boy to be gone.” she thought. “Just when they would’ve been more useful then just looking for rumors of why he’s mad.“

Zaldir however tapped the handle of his sword. “Well if it’s competition we have to worry about I understand. The fact that it’s potentially bounty hunters means we have to get our hands dirty, Tiger’s Claw inn appears to be our next destination.“ Zaldir said to the group In general.

“You just feel the opportunity to test the integrity and power of the magic sword You’ve created.” Aranaea said, eyeing her brother as she pulled a strand of hair aside.

“Hey, if I can make more and sell them, I could get enough to get that Shop I always wanted once this adventure’s done!” He retorted. He looked around once more and stared at the ocean before them.

“That is, if we ever complete it in one piece.” He thought to himself, as he waited to hear the input of their fourth member in the group. The quiet, ancient language speaking companion.

Zagaroth was walking through the city towards the docks with Korose. They were completely silent as the thief went through his thoughts. In his mind, Korose had caused a big issue for him. Not only did he now have a target on his back in Wahton, the news traveled fast in the underworld. It might affect his whole work. He had planned to appeal to Rechenston's desire for information and sell the stories of their upcoming journey for his knowledge about Ragwave. But the elf had ruined that for him, and the whole scene had been a deadend.

He was also thinking about Rechenston´s words. What had he meant by “likes of you” when talking about Korose? And the elf’s response had been even more worrisome. "The living seldom do." Would he have to watch his back around Korose as well?

The silence was palpable.

Every few steps Korose let out a pulse to help “see” the world around him so as not to walk into anything or anyone. But as his focus remained forward, he neglected to pay attention to anything behind him.

In the alleys to either side of the road crouched a single individual. Dressed in the ragged clothing of a homeless, it would be easy for anyone to overlook him as simply that. A pathetic vagrant. But his eyes remained locked on Korose and Zagaroth before sliding up and looking at an individual on the roofs across the way. This individual was laying down and their head just barely visible above the roof line before slinking away behind the skyline.

Every step Korose and Zag took down the road saw fewer and fewer people in the streets around them until it seemed that the streets had become deserted.

As they walked further Zagaroth noticed the quiet streets. It was even too quiet. His hand moved to his side, close to his dagger as he kept walking forward scanning the area. From corner of his eye he saw ever so slight movement from a rooftop. A trick he had used himself many times. They were being followed and if there was one, there was probably more.

His hand moved away from his dagger as he snatched once of this throwing knives between his fingers. They were in disadvantage but he wasn't going to let their followers sneak up on them.

He pushed one foot firmly on the ground and spinned around quickly. With a quick movement he send the knife flying towards the roof. There was a metallic sound as it hit a drain. But that was enough. It was just a sign to their attackers that they had been noticed.

The sudden turn and throw of the knife from Zagaroth forced Korose to stop in his tracks as the clang of metal on metal rang out through the emptied streets.

Korose slowly shifted his weight and turned his head like an owl before sending out another pulse.

The pulse was hard to decipher as the alleys were shrouded in shadows as it was thanks to the angle of the sun. But he could just barley make out at least two in the alley to the right, and two on the left. What was much easier to see were the multiple shadows on the rooftops since there was nowhere to hide but behind and/or beneath the roof line.

Six on the rooftops. A solid number.

”Save those knives. You may need them.”

The thief simply nodded, not even thinking if Korose would notice that or not. He took his dagger from his belt, his eyes looking for even the slightest bit of movement.

With the jig being up, their pursuers emerged from their hiding places.

Turned out, thanks to the sun casting shadows into the alleyways, there were in fact four in the alley on the right and another four on the right for a total of eight.

Six on the rooftops made for fourteen. A perfectly manageable number if there wasn’t magic to worry about… But that was the problem.

Korose could sense the subtle shift of the mana in the area around them indicating imminent magical attacks. But his pulse couldn’t help him see or feel exactly where it was coming from. Sensing the shift of mana and actually knowing where it was happening were two entirely different things. And as far as Korose knew, there was no way to precisely locate where a shift in the mana was coming from unless you were basically standing right next to the mage.

”They have mages. Watch yourself.”

Korose took in a deep breath and the mana around him swirled in response. The shadows beneath his feet began to turn darker. Something only Zag would likely notice due to his proximity to him.

The eight at street level all gathered in a line across from them in the road, with one of them walking a few steps forward and pointing a sword at Korose.

It dies first.”

One of the first to attack was a water mage on the rooftops. Because they were by the sea, the air was filled with more moisture than normal allowing him to gather the water around him in a thin, but potentially deadly whip-like extension from his hand which he used to fire directly at Korose.

Turning his head in the direction of the sound of the attack, Korose rose a wall of solid shadows which collided with the water causing it to dissipate. The shadows fell to the ground around Korose once again, and his attention returned to the one who’d made the declaration that he would die first.

“It has Shadowfare magic! Don’t get too close! Shoot it!” The man cried.

Two on the rooftops drew flintlock rifles, and began loading them in preparation to attack while those in the streets rushed the pair and the others on the rooftops all began drawing bows as well.

“Great. Absolutely freaking great.” The thief thought as he saw the amount of attackers. He could only hope the mages would focus on Korose as he had no chance against them. Even the ones without magic would be a challenge. Given one or two he might have been able to hold his ground, but with 14 he'd be as good as dead. Zagaroth quickly scanned the area. Getting to highground was not an option as the mages and archers were occupying the roofs. On the ground level they were pretty much surrounded, expect behind them. Which suited Zagaroth better than fine, given his back was protected.

The charge came in two-man waves. The first two synched their movements around and away from Korose to keep clear of his Shadowfare magic. The Elf didn't seem interested in going after them either as he was focused on the archers, gunmen, and mages on the rooftops.

Coming together again once behind Korose, the pair charged Zagaroth. The first with a knife extending a stab towards his chest, the second hanging back and slightly to his left to act as backup with his own knife ready and waiting.

The thief, not being one to result into violence that often, took one of his throwing knives and threw it towards the attacker's leg in hopes to cribble him before turning on his heels and run away. Korose had gotten them into this mess, and frankly Zagaraoth wasn't too keen on helping the Elf. If he was as good as he seemed to think he was, he’d see Korose again later. For now, it was time to get somewhere safe.

”Tch! Little wretch!” Korose cursed under his breath as he caught Zag fleeing in his Pulse Vision.

”Ha! Looks like it’s just you now!” The lead attacker for Zag shouted at Korose’s back.

Korose would have forced Zag to stay, but it was too little too late. The knives at his back and the arrows now in the air as pinged by his Pulse Vision forced his hand. A wall of shadows erupted at his back to protect him from the iknives while two shadowy tendrils rose up to his right to stop the incoming arrows.

With them batted away, Korose had to dive to his right to avoid an incoming volley of bullets from the two on the opposite roof. As he came back up, the two with knives were on him with another two rushing from the opposite side.

Korose waited just a split second longer before lashing out with a shadow tendril at the legs of those who’d attacked Zag sending them both to the ground. Afterwards, he spun rapidly and reached out to catch the wrists of the next two, stopping them just short of stabbing his chest as they came grinding to a halt in front of him.

”What the?!”

”How can it do this if it’s blind?!”

”Lose one sense, the others become sharper.” He growled.

Korose’s grip on their wrists tightened until a sickening crunch reverberated through the streets around them before both men screamed in agony and fell to their knees in his grip. Korose violently jerked their arms to the left side, snapping the already cracked bones into an ’L’ shape simultaneously tearing the flesh as the broken bones tore their way through. With those two incapacitated, the other two, now on their feet, both hesitated just a second too long before Korose brought two tendrils up from beneath their feet which wrapped and snapped their legs at the knees.

Korose was then sent flying across the ground as a massive stream of water slammed into his back. Skidding to a halt and hitting a nearby wall, Korose grit his teeth as he surrounded himself in shadows before disappearing from view.

”Where’d it go?!”

”Eyes open! It couldn’t have gone far!”

One of the water mages felt the tingle of mana manipulation behind him and spun around, but saw nothing.

”What?”

”What is it?” The other mage asked.

”I sensed mana being manipulated behind us just now.”

”I didn’t feel anything.”

”… Watch the street. I’ll watch our backs.”

Clouds began gathering overhead casting a light shadow over the land. In the street, the leader took notice of this and a bead of sweat rolled down his temple.

”Double your caution! Its power increases as the world grows dark!” He shouted.

Everyone tensed, watching and waiting.

… Nothing.

”Did it flee?”

Two of the men in the street wandered closer to an alleyway nearby to check the shadows for any signs of-

An explosion of red caught everyone’s attention. The spray of blood into the streets was enough to drop their stomachs into their feet as they spied the how torso-less bodies of their comrades. Their torso’s had seemingly burst from the inside out thanks to two shadowy hands with sharp claw-like digits which had been thrust into their stomachs, and then opened like umbrellas. Bits of torso littered the ground before the legs fell due to lack of balance or muscle control.

”What in the name of the Gods?!?” Screamed one of the gunmen.

”Don’t panic! It can’t do that more than once or twice! Stay focused!” The leader called.

The water mages once again sensed mana manipulation behind them and turned around. A moent later, the screams of the two with broken legs caught their attention. They’d been grabbed by two more shadowy hands and were dragged into the closest alleyway before more explosive blood sprays painted the streets.

Korose’s voice then broke the silence, echoing as if he was in twenty places at once. ”What do the dead say to each other about their final moments of life?”

The leader brought out a pistol from behind his back.

”Come out and face us, Demon!”

The gunmen on the roof tried to adjust their position, but found themselves unable to move.

”Hey! We’re stuck!”

”It has you by your shadows! Keep your guns ready! If the shadows appear, he can’t be far away!”

No sooner had the leader made this declaration than two shadowy spikes shot out from another alleyway impaling both in the soft tissues of their stomachs. Both men fell backwards gripping the spikes which dissipated thus allowing their innards to begin spilling out as their bodies were forced to turn over by the shadows beneath them.

The two water mages once again sensed mana manipulation, but this time it was from several locations.

”How is it doing this?!” One of them growled.

”It’s because he’s got the time to concentrate! We need to find him!”

In the streets, the men all grouped together in a four-man team while the two bowmen stayed near the mages. They couldn’t afford to be spread out at this point even if it seemed counterintuitive. The further apart they were, the easier it was for this creature to pick them off. By grouping up, they should be able to force him to reveal himself through how much mana he had to manipulate in order to try an attack on larger groups.

”Focus.” One mage said.

”I am.” The other replied.

”The strongest mana source. That’s him.”

”I know… They’re all so close though. I can’t tell them apart.”

”Wait. Doesn’t he have to be able to see the shadows to manipulate them?”

”Normally, yes. But this thing’s got something that allows it to maniplate shadows not in its field of view. There’s nowhere he could be to see all these alleys unless he was flying.”

The other mage looked up. Nothing.

”Okay. So then where-”

Too late they sensed a sharp spike in the mana around them before four massive tendrils, each one at least 5 meters long, rose up around them from the alleys and slammed into their bodies. The two bowmen were immediately impaled and vomitted almost a pint of blood each. The two mages were able to resist the bulk of the impact, but still lost their wind before using their water to break and dispel the tendrils.

”Come out, coward!”

One of them shouted.

”As you wish.”

They spun around towards the street, and there was Korose standing on the ledge. Both immediately launched water streams at him but were met and blocked by a wall of shadows. However, it did still carry enough force to knock Korose off. Landing in the streets like a cat, he was immediately set upon by all four men with knives who attacked him in a group. Korose ducked the first attack and shoved him back into one of his comrades. But it wasn’t in time to stop the leader from thrusting his dagger into Korose’s chest just below the clavicle. Korose managed to catch the blade, but not before it sunk about 2 inches into his flesh.

”Ha! It bleeds! Help me finish it!” The leader yelled.

”The flowing blood of the vessel means nothing!” Korose growled in an otherworldly voice.

However, before he could do anything to the leader he turned his head just in time with a Pulse to see a blade coming at his face. He jerked his head back, but the fabric of his blindfold was sliced directly over his right eye. By some miracle it missed his flesh, but the damage was done. The red glow of his eyes shone brightly through the tear showing all of them exactly who they were dealing with.

”H-he’s… The Red-Eyed Demon!!’ The one who’d sliced his blindfold shouted.

”Kill it!” The leader shouted.

They all continued pressing their attack. And Korose took a few more slices to his right shoulder and his right side beneath the ribs. The clouds above were clearing as well. And Korose knew he was running out of time as he sprinted into an alley with all four hot on his tail. And as they reached the dead-end of the alley, he spun on his heel and threw his arms to the side. Shadow tendrils shot out from the walls to either side of the onrushing men spiking each in the head and pinning them to the opposing walls. Blood and brain matter splattered into the alleyway at Korose’s feet.

Korose’s chest rose and feel with deep breaths as sweat dripped from his chin and neck. Wiping a few drops away, he walked calmly into the streets and looked up at the two mages.

”Those damn fools!” One of them growled.

”Do we retreat?”

”We’ve no choice. Let’s go.”

Both men vanished beyond the sky line, and Korose took a deep breath letting it out on a sigh as he undid the blindfold and retied it so the torn fabric was at the back of his head.

”Zagaroth...” He growled.

”… We’ll remember this.” Came a low, guttural voice in his head.

”Shut the fuck up!” Korose growled.

With that, Korose walked away from the scene towards the docks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------​

Meanwhile, as the group had made their way to the Harbor Master Elena had taken the time to wait outside. It was a small building, after all. Plus, she saw something she wanted to look at.

Dashing towards a nearby vendor booth, her eyes sparkled at the sight of an adorable wooden carving of a sheep.

Awwwwww! She cooed. It’s so cute! Just like Hireo back home!

”Hello, ma’am. Is that an Elvish dialect? I’m afraid I don’t understand what you’re saying.” The vendor said.

Ah!

Elena brought out her parchment and quill, and scribbled something before turning it around to show him, This sheep carving is so cute! It’s just like one of the sheep I knew back home! So fluffy and cuddly! How much is it?

”Ah. I see. It’s ten Silver, ma’am.”

Elena dug into her pack and found her coin pouch. Counting the coins within, she was pleased to find she had a little more than enough. Dropping ten Silver coins one after the other, she happily picked up the sheep carving and nuzzled it.

”I hope you enjoy, ma’am. Please have a pleasant reset of your day.”

Elena bowed and wrote, To you as well!

She then returned to the Harbor Master’s and walked in just in time to catch the group discussing the matter of Ragewave being located near the Tiger Claw’s Inn.

21f76d8f61d9f12331e57471910fff1b.png

The thief was hurrying away from the alley that had turned into a battlefield. He kept checking behind his back, kept eyes on the rooftops and held a dagger in his hand just in case. He was rather surprised that no one came after him. It seemed they were more interested in Korose after all. He wasn't feeling sorry for leaving the elf behind. If it had been a friend of his, Zagaroth would have stayed to fight side by side. But in his mind, Korose was the reason of their troubles and thus could handle the situation himself.

As he felt being far enough from the battle, he started making his way to bigger streets and the docks. He hated being in the crowds and right now, it was a double edged sword. He could hide among them, but so could the attackers. He hoped they weren't going to attack him in public, but someone stabbing a knife in his back was a concern.

It took some time for him to reach the docks, as people stopped to look at merchants' stalls and he had to get around them. If he wasn't in a hurry, he would have certainly stopped to steal a couple of knives for the ones he lost, or at least the money to buy them. However a single apple disappeared from its place as the man walked past it. Eventually Zagaroth saw a familiar group in the distance. Making his way over to them, he gave a simple nod as a greeting. "Before you ask. The elf comes, if he comes." He said biting into the apple.

As Sebastian was preparing to lead the party to the Tiger Claw’s Inn the danyell lad had made his arrival known. Alone to boot. From the slight red of his cheeks to his mildly winded state it was clear that the boy had done some kind of extraneous activity.

What had drawn Sebastian's concern however was the "if" in Zagaroth's opening statement. Add Ragewave's bounty and it's potentially criminal origins and things get a bit tricky.

"You don't sound so certain the he will make the journey. Did you perhaps find yourselves in some trouble? Given your state of calm, I presume the matter will be resolved before we could intervene, yes?"

Zagaroth stayed calm. "My apologies. When, not if. There is no trouble, he is just taking care of some business." He lied smoothly.

Sebastian was not so easily convinced, as a slip of the tongue was often more honest then a measured response.

"Ah, I see. Forgive me. For I should not have been so presumptuous. Now, pray tell, have your efforts borne fruit? Given your apparent state you have been put through some form of labor. A run, perhaps? I trust it was worth the rush, yes?"

Elena was a little slow picking up the conversation until she realized that the blind Elf wasn't with them anymore.

"I pray he's all right." She whispered.

It sounded like Zag and him had run into some sort of issue. Perhaps just an unfruitful series of questions for the locals? A promising lead turning to a dead end? She knew how frustrating that could be when looking for something or someone.

Meanwhile, Zagaroth kept himself calm despite Sebastian's suspicion.

"Unfortunately it was a dead end. The informant didn't know why he fell out of his noble status."

Elena blinked. But then she remembered Ragewave was once a noble and she understood.

As the group began to move outside, a familiar figure was waiting for them leaning up against the wall just outside the door.

"Hopefully your search went better than ours." He said calmly.

Korose's left clavicle still showed the signs of a blade tearing through his jacket and tunic with blood dripping down his side all the way to his boots leaving a tiny trickle trail of blood behind where he'd come from. His left hand was also sliced from catching the blade last second to prevent worse damage. But he didn't seem to pay either wound any attention.

"We didn't find anything worth noting."

Upon exiting the Area and discovering Korose waiting for the rest of them, looking a bit injured from dealing with whatever it was the thief said he was handling, Aranaea paled a little bit at seeing the injuries on him. Just what the hell was the blind elf? Zaldir however, shrugged at the statement of Korose and Zagaroth not finding anything.

“Other then a scrap or two I see.“ Zaldir said, remarking Korose’s injuries and what the thief told the group. Which was then rewarded with a scolding slap to the back of his head from his sister.

“Zaldir.“ She said in admonishment. “We found where he could be. The Tiger’s Claw Tavern. We also learned some more awkward details which complicates things. Turns out he’s got a price on his head.”

Zaldir nodded and looked again at the Blind Elf. “Well the chance of unwanted competition looking for him is a bit high. Other then that, the Inn’s the only viable lead. If he’s not there then we’re out of luck as far as Ragewave goes.” Zaldir added.

Sebastian nodded to the siblings words. "Indeed my boy, though I am afraid that I have to leave him to you all. I will be taking our battle weary friend to see proper medical attention. Miss Aranaea, please take this for the time being."

As he spoke Sebastian handed her a small bronze shield, taken from his bag. It fit in one's palm and was embossed with wings in the front. The design matched the master's insignia on his robes, and was often held by merchants and mercenaries that had ties to his family and their business.

"Look for us in the mayor's manor if I don't rejoin you first. That medal will serve as proof of our affiliation if needed." Sebastian did not expect that it would be needed, but he was happy to take the precaution all the same. Then he turned his attention to the young Danyell.

Sebastian was disappointed with Zagaroth. While he would have accepted the truth, even that Zagaroth had likely abandoned Korose, he was displeased that the lad had lied about it. They were all strangers true, it could not be helped that they would not give their lives for one another. But deception can breed even worse distrust.

"I understand your choice. But keep in mind that we are in no small amount of danger. The demons work through mortal hands. We can't afford such secrecy when our lives are at stake."

Lastly, Sebastian moved next to Korose. "Honestly, I wasn't expecting you to have been in a battle when Sir Danyell came to us. I thought you had gotten the lad in trouble from smuggling yourself in! Oh, but you didn't get in trouble with the guard right? That would be a problem."

Korose huffed through his nose accompanied by a small scrunch on the left side.

"We've had no trouble with the guards of late. Just a few unscrupulous characters whom I didn't see eye to eye with. No pun intended."

Korose stood up straight from leaning on the wall.

""And just so you and everyone else here are clear on the matter, I don't need medical attention. Despite the blood in my clothing, most of which is that of my enemies, the wounds themselves are minor and will heal. They always do."

As Korose spoke the words "they always do," a subtle breeze blew through the area. And it was just enough to mask the all but imperceptible whisper of a second voice speaking in unison with him.

"Don't you fucking dare..." Korose growled mentally before addressing the group again.

""It's more important that we find Ragewave before anything happens to him. So we should all get moving as soon as possible."

Elena, however, was not keen on this.

"With all due respect, sir Elf, that amount of blood on your clothing is nothing to simply brush aside. Even if most of it isn't your own, you can't go around the city wearing bloodied clothing. We need to get you a change of clothes at the very least. Immediately. You've been lucky to avoid trouble with the guards up until now. But will they be able to overlook such a... Display?" She asked, gesturing to the subtle drip of blood from his jacket to the ground below.

After interpreting for Elena, Sebastian shared his own thoughts on the matter.

"Yes, yes, I'm sure you'll be just fine. I always laughed it off when I was filled with broken blades. But when you survive long enough to heal it's the infection that comes after that you need to avoid." With his family's natural constitution and the wealth to secure medical treatment Sebastian was rarely ill, dispite countless wounds from both man and beast. Even so, most of his closest encounters with death were not during the battle, but after it.

"And if that doesn't convince you, how about the trouble I'll have explaining why your in need of care in the first place. And that is to say nothing of the commotion you'll cause for the people along the way. And Ragewave himself! His head holds a bounty. Would you be at ease taking to someone covered in blood? Especially when they assure you that most of it is not their own?"

Korose's head turned towards Sebastian and his brow furrowed behind the blindfold.

"I'm over two hundred and forty years old, human. I know my body and limits better than you know how to find your dick in your pants." He said on a bit of a hiss.

He held up his left hand, palm up, and turned his head as if to look at the slices across his palm and the first juncture of his four primary fingers. The wound was clean and had already clotted. And Korose closed his fist with only the tiniest bit of clear fluid seeping from the corners of the palm slice.

"They always heal." He said on a calmer whisper.

A twinge in the back of his head, accompanied by an otherworldly growl in his mind, caused Korose's head to twitch subtly before it was quickly corrected and passed off as a need to crack his neck before dropping his hand to his side.

"I'll agree to buy new clothes. You lot go find Ragewave. I'll find you when I find you... Don't worry about how."

That subtle pulse from the day of the attack suddenly reappeared as Korose turned and began to walk away.

Through his encounters with Korose Sebastian was sure that he used those pulses to see in some manner. He resolved to ask about the whole process at a later time however.

"Ho ho, quite the tongue you got there. But I must say, you may have thrice my years, but you aren't half my age. Accept compassion when it given, for it is the least you can do to help the world be a better place. Otherwise you have no right to say that you dislike people. To find light, you must first leave shade."

Last edited:
Zagaroth pinched the bridge of his nose as the, quite literally, bloody elf appeared. No amount of smooth talk would make the situation turn into his favor anymore. Somehow that man had the skill to get him from one trouble to another. He couldn't even bothered to get a change of clothes? That darned elf with his fancy magic was just another proof that magic only brought trouble and worry. He was proof that magic users only thought about themselves and not about others.

"I understand your choice. But keep in mind that we are in no small amount of danger. The demons work through mortal hands. We can't afford such secrecy when our lives are at stake."

Zagaroth didn't answer to Sebastian, but glanced at Korose. "Well I'm not only one who keeps secrets", he thought in his mind. Seeing the elf there, with minimum injuries, made him even more certain that the man was not who he claimed to be. Fighting 14 men alone was an impossible task for anyone, no matter how skillful person was.

Normally the thief hadn't care about Sebastian's suspicion and reprimands. But he was getting more worried about the possibility of a new target on his back. Korose certainly wasn't too pleased with him and neither was Sebastian. From the group they had gathered that was two people who possibly didn't want him on board. If any of the last three elves remaining would go against him, there was a good chance of him getting kicked out. In which case, he would certainly face the wrath of Retchenson alone.

Would he be any use for them in Dragons Cove? He was highly doubting it. He had already found and given a name for a Captain. He wasn't a fighter or a mage. Could he proof his worth to them?

Aranaea eyed the back and forth conversation and accepted the seal given to her by Sebastian. She wondered what secrets the blind elf had to be able to fend off a group of assailants, but for right now, that had to wait. At any rate she nodded at Sebastian’s instruction. “Yes Sir Sebastian.“ was her reply.

Zaldir meanwhile, walked up to Zaggaroth and clapped him on the shoulder. “Well I don’t blame ya for running, if I was outnumbered i’d have done the same thing.” He said to him, before turning to his sister, “So it’s us two, Ms. Elena and Zagaroth here?”

“It would appear so. Come along then. We have a Tavern to search through for a madman.” She told the group, positioning Ardyn to move to the Tiger’s Claw Tavern. “The sooner we find him, the sooner we can make preparations for the Cove and getting to the bottom of this whole mystery.”

“Or we don’t find him and immediately head back to the Mayor’s place to regroup with folks. Stick with me Zag, you can help me guide the horses.” Zaldir said, as he gave him a once over. “In exchange, I think I got some spare enchanted items I can give you. On a discounted price of course.”

“Zaldir, no business during this search.” came the sharp curt order of Zaldir’s sister, along with a small glare. “Not the time or the place.”

“Yes sis.” was the only reply from him as he readied to go with the now group of four to the Tavern in question.

"Ho ho. While I appreciate your enthusiasm, our friend did decline my offer. And as I am not of mind to whisk him off quite yet, I shall be joining you. Let us be off! I would have us speak along the way." Just as Zaldir suggested, Sebastian left the task of guiding the horses to the young men. In part hoping that the exchange would encourage the young danyell into further interaction, rather then allow him to isolate himself.

Meanwhile Sebastian began rearranging his belt by retrieving articles from his bag. "Ah! Keep the badge. I can't exactly be with everyone at all times now can I?" He moved his decoy coin purse, with real and worn coin, back in order to allow quick access for a couple of pouches and a dagger that he had added.

With his work done and the next step of their journey started, Sebastian addressed his companions.

"Now then, as we have confirmed that we can expect combat to ensue at any time from here on, I would suggest that we discuss our capabilities for such a scenario. And perhaps our skills beside. I myself am trained and equipped-" Sebastian rapped a gauntlet against his cuisses for emphasis "-as a knight. I boast plentiful experience fighting both man and monster in large and small scale battle, along with the skills that come from it. Such as moderate skill in providing first aid. And last yet not least, I am a transportation mage with just over five decades of practice."

"Aside from my capability in the art of violence, I have spent the better half of a decade as a diplomat. Should the ruling authority approve it, we shall have the support of the local governance. With that all said; I believe that is everything that is as yet relevant. I could go on, but we likely don't need me to cook anytime soon."

Aranaea stopped short of giving back the badge to Sebastian, then merely shrugged and placed it in a pouch of her own as the group moved on towards their next destination, and listened to Sebastian’s inquiry about her skill set. ”I’m not home schooled in defending myself with a staff. However, I rarely have use for it as I have two things at my disposal. My magic being the main part of the two.”

Aranaea smiled a bit as she thought of her magic. But her small moment of reverie was interrupted by Zaldir who adopted an small teasing smile of his own. ”Wait, your magic outranks me? That’s mean, even for you, big sis.” he said, ”Especially after all the time and effort you take to support me and my own magical ability.”

Aranaea rolled her eyes ”I meant in terms of practicality you cynical boy. Alchemy has a bit of a better use in a situation where you find yourself in need of cover, or a quick weapon when all you have is a wooden broomstick on hand.”

As the siblings began talking about their schooling, staff work, and magic, Elena's eyes flickered with life and curiosity. Her hands came up in fists in front of her chest and she nodded with each sentence.

By the time Aranaea had ended her talks about the uses of Alchemy, Elena had already jotted down a question on her parchment.

Giving Aranaea's right elbow a soft poke (actually several), she held it up for her to read: Is there anything you can't make with Alchemy?

Aranaea blinked at Elena poking her and looked at her then her written question. ”Oh. Well, I haven’t mastered changing things to certain materials, mostly due to their rarity and Zaldir spending most of our shared money on things he needs too keep is currently mobile business running. But I know for one thing I can’t just make a person with Alchemy. It can’t be done.” She explained, trying to think of the things she hasn’t gotten the hang of making yet.

Zaldir meanwhile sighed and patted Ardyn on the head. He’d let the girls have their talk. But that reminded him, he’d need to make sure he had a good stock of Magic Essence if his creative ideas got the better of him again. But he had to admit, Aranaea’s magic was a bit more fun and useful then his.

Elena nodded with little "Hm!" sounds as Aranaea explained her magic and that she couldn't make people. And it was then that she remembered she hadn't asked what magic her brother actually used.

She quickly scribbled in her parchment, and poked Zaldir's elbow the same way she did Aranaea's and held it up for him to read.

What magic do you practice?

Zaldir blinked when Elena poked him and had a shade of pink after looking at her for a moment before clearing his throat. ”Well... I’m a Magic Smith. I enchant weapons and armor to do certain magical effects. It’s a rather complicated magic.” He explained.

”Zaldir always had a knack for crafting things. Now he just makes them do crazy magical effects.”Aranaea added.

”Well, depends on the Magic essence and the type I want the essence to be. With such talents I thought about opening up a Smithy. But looks like I’m on an adventure for the time being so the Smithy can wait.” He replied with a small chuckle. ”What can you do Ms. Elena, just out of curiosity?”

Elena's eyes were sparkling as she leaned in with an excited expression much like that of a child who'd just seen their dream idol perform the most amazing feat of whatever it was they wanted to see.

She rapidly scribbled on her parchment and thrust it up towards Zaldir's face.

Can you enchant regular clothing or jewelry?!?

Zaldir was startled by the next question and had to blink a bit. ”I could enchant most things...I mean. I could infuse a Rock with a magical essence if I had the time to demonstrate and I had magical essence on hand. But to answer your question I could possibly enchant Clothing and Jewelry to some degree.”

”I think you’ve gotten a new admirer Zal-dear.” Aranaea teased.

”Sis! Stop! No teasing please!” Zaldir said, turning more pink. Ardyn the horse gave a sound that almost sounded like amusement, leading Zaldir to glare at the horse.

Elena's eyes sparkled a bit more as a big smile grew on her face. She looked down and scratched things out on her parchment, writing something new down for him and thrusting it up at him as before.

If I handed over my favorite necklace, could you enchant it with some kind of healing essence?!

Zaldir blinked and heaved a small sigh of surrender. ”Well, maybe once this Ragewave business is done with maybe I’ll see if I got any Healing Essence on hand. Then we can enchant it. I’ll have to see the necklace in question later on.” He said, giving a small shrug.

Aranaea however had a surprised look on her face. He didn’t even mention a Fee or anything! Did she manage to embarrass Zaldir that badly??

Elena's smile widened along with her eyes and she hopped with joy while quickly folding up her parchment and tucking it hastily into her blouse while reaching into said blouse at the collar and pulling out a jeweled necklace.

With a silver chain mostly hidden beneath the collar, it was no wonder nobody had seen it yet. But at the center was a gold frame around an octagonal Moon Sapphire, a pale light blue, similar in color to the sky. She removed the necklace and held it up in offering to Zaldir.

Zaldir blinked and looked at the a necklace and amulet in question, giving it a careful examination and looked at the jewel and gave a low whistle. ”This is a rather nice piece of craftsmanship. Yes, I think I’ll be able to do something with this. You hang onto it and I’ll get my tools squared away so I can enchant it later.” Zaldir said, nodding at her with a smile.

Aranaea was still gobsmacked and looked at Ardyn, speaking in Elvish, “Is Zaldir sick boy? I’ve never seen him go this long without asking for a commission fee!”

The horse simply gave an exasperated sigh, as if the stallion didn’t know exactly what was going on either.

Elena's smile reached its widest as she retrieved and re-donned her necklace before gripping Zaldir's hands and shaking them up and down.

"San Kyu!" She chirpped.

Zaldir was at a loss for words when Elena gripped both hands and shook them. Then he heard her thanking him, the best she could do to say the common tongue it seemed, as he nodded. ”You’re very welcome Miss Elena. I’ll give it my best work yet.” He said with a grin.

Service with a smile Zaldir, service with a smile! I’m probably not gonna charge anything since we’re all most likely pooling our assets as far as paying for the boat trip and other things besides. He thought to himself.

21f76d8f61d9f12331e57471910fff1b.png

Zagaroth gave a slight irritated side glance at Zaldir as this patted his shoulder. He stayed silent and just took the reins of the horse. There was no point arguing over a mundane task despite he didn’t really care for it. Even with Zaldir’s offer of enchanting his items, Zagaroth was suspicious about it. He didn’t really want to rely on anything magical, even weapons or armor, so he just shrugged and walked after them.

When Sebastian suggested them to share their skill, he felt as if the world was against him. He would have to twist his words enough to both be truthful but not give out the full truth. The fact that he was a thief and a street rat probably didn’t settle well with certain people. He tried to think of his skills, pickpocketing, stealing, sneaking… None of them were something he would want to reveal.

Listening to the conversations going on, the thief rolled his eyes mentally. “So besides the lying bastard we have an overachiever of an old man, a somewhat arrogant woman who thinks she’s better than even her own blood relative, who just happens to be overfriendly, and a girl who can’t talk. What a great group of people.” he thought in his mind. But then again, did he truly have the right to judge them given his own background? Most likely not, but he was still annoyed and it reflected in his thoughts.

Zagaroth let out a slightest sigh as it came to his turn of telling about himself. “As you already know, information gathering.” He stated simply. “I’m also a locksmith, I carry my tools with me.” It wasn’t too far from the truth. Locksmiths and thieves, both had ways of opening locks, others just did it without permission. He turned his head slightly towards the others, giving them a glance. ”So I have a way to access certain places others can’t.” They could take his last sentence as they wanted to.

And indeed, Sebastian had his own opinions on everyone's statements. As for the siblings, he would have to inquire if their respective professions gave them deep enough contacts to provide him a lead on his own family's long quest. And in the unlikely event that Sebastian was forced to over tax his equipment then they could prove invaluable in returning to operational efficiency post haste. The cost should be within his means, assuming that Sebastian would not be privy to Zaldir's smitten discount, if Aranaea's last exclamation was anything to go by.

"If I may interject for a moment, are you proficient in the manipulation of mana miss Elena? If not, I am afraid you'll have little use of an enchanted object yourself. As I am sure sir Zaldir can attest."

While Elena may not have answered his question, Sebastian had instead gotten a glimpse into her character. She seemed an excitable young lady brimming with curiosity. He suspected that he would be the one questioned for a change, if he were to catch her interest. An exciting prospect, as Sebastian was ever happy to participate in the exchange of knowledge.

Elena glanced to Sebastian with a tilt of her head. "Ah, is that true?" She placed her necklace around her neck and thought about how she'd be able to do what she wanted to do about this conundrum.

"Indeed it is. Suffice it to say that all enchanted objects require mana to activate. Though they still have value even to those unable to use mana, albeit with less versatility. Do to my own use of such tools I know a fair bit about their functions and limitations. However, I would direct you to our resident expert if you are inclined to learn the craft's finer points."

Sebastian finished with a playfully dramatic bow, with one arm to his waist, and the other drawing an arc from one side, over his head and onto the other to gesture to Zaldir, ending with a sharp flick of the wrist. This caricature of noble posturing was done all while keeping the same pace, before he hopped back into his former stride.

With Sebastian's act of whimsy complete, done in part to maintain the air of levity, he sought to keep Zagaroth in the fold. "But a locksmith you say? I suppose that means that you are entwined into the ever escalating war of superior security and its circumvention. A useful skill should we need to breach the former."

Whether Sebastian's growing suspicions were correct, or the young danyell had merely fallen into unfortunate circumstances, he planned to keep an open mind on the matter. However, the circumstational evidence was not to the boys favor. Firstly, how and why would a locksmith, a wandering one no less, need to keep a strong information network? Secondly; the men had been attacked by criminals, but why? Had they been attacked because they had lacked subtlety, or had they gotten into trouble due to the kinds of people Zagaroth had taken them to meet. Lastly was his demeanor and prior actions. Secretive and standoffish, the lad had sought to protect his image during a life threatening situation. His one saving grace was that Elena had spoken of his bravery and kind heart during the trying times in Lau'sha.

"Though in all honesty, in the event that we were to face such a scenario I think a thief would be just as welcome!" While Sebastian had laughed at his statement, it had been no lie. He had made friends with folks from all walks of life. After all, what was a soldier, a knight, but a killer heaped with honor.

With their thoughts collected and the course set, the group began the move North along the docks towards the Tiger Claw Inn where Ragewave was said to frequent.

Along the way, they passed numerous humble sights including various street vendors, men and women fishing with poles and casting nets, people sunbathing, and dozens of people simply moving about from one area to another in their day-to-day. The Tiger Claw Inn, very aptly named for the shape of the sign hanging over the front entrance, was easy to spot thanks largely due to the vivid orange-red coloration and black stripes painted along the edge. Metal was shaped like claws hooking down almost as if the sign was ready to lash out and grab whomever took its fancy.

Elena stared at the sign with a subtle sense of wonder as they all got closer.

"It's almost unsettling." She whispered.

As she said that, someone emerged from the building.

"Blast these prices!" He growled while storming away.

As he stomped past, his left shoulder rammed into Elena's left shoulder pushing her off balance. She managed to steady herself quickly, but gave him a rather frustrated stare with pursed lips as he kept walking.

"How rude." She mumbled.

Zaldir walked with the others to the the Inn as Sebastian commented on how his enchantment might not go so well if he put it on a Manipulation essence. Zaldir may be a cynical Magic Smith, but given his own personal knowledge and how he didn’t see much in terms of magic yet from her, it probably wasn’t going to be a manipulation essence he put on Elena’s necklace anyway. Perhaps Generation if he had a good amount to spare. But he had to worry about such planning and crafting later as the group moved north towards the Tiger Claw Inn.

When they arrived at the inn he looked upon the sign, and raised an eyebrow. “A bit gaudy if you ask me. I get a picture’s worth a thousand words, but a sign should no-“ his cynical critique was interrupted by the dissatisfied customer of said establishment storming out of the inn and roughly bumped Elena aside as he went. Glaring at the leaving figure with a glare that he seemed to learn from his fellow Dwarven students, Zaldir was about to move to his hand to his sword and go to teach that man some manners, when he got a nudge on his own shoulder from the head of Ardyn. He looked at the stallion and then the direction of the departing figure, then back again before nodding.

“You’re right Ardyn. Not worth the time or the energy.“ He muttered, giving the horse a gentle rub on his head.

“Right, sounds like this establishment is going to be a bit on the rough side given our brief glimpse. Zaldir, be on your guard, and your best behavior.” Aranaea said as she lighted off of Ardyn.

“When am I not on my best behavior?” Came Zaldir’s reply with a small grin before looking at the others. “Shall we see if Ragewave is in?”

Last edited:
"Yes indeed. Hopefully our preliminary efforts will bring this matter to a swift end. Now then, please allow me to be of assistance." After assisting the lady's down, Sebastian lead the charge into the inn.

And for all its forshadowing, the inn was quite mundane inside. Though it was relatively bustling with activity, that was it's most striking feature. Lacking in filth and seedy characters, it was instead fairly clean, with its guests respectably dressed. Sebastian in contrast stood out, tall and in fine robes over brilliant metal, as the inn clearly catered to the commonwealth, rather then the rich or poor.

Upon initial inspection it seemed ragewave was not to move found amoungst the patrons. And with the lobby lacking an apparent bar or any other such extensions they would need to question the staff directly.

Minding his manners, Sebastian waited for an opportune moment to speak to the receptionist. The wait was thankfully quite short as the receptionist swiftly handled their current client before addressing the lobbies newest occupants. It looked like their timing was most fortuitous. Or perhaps the receptionist had decided that keeping the well groomed, clearly armed wall of steel waiting was less then ideal.

Regardless, the resulting conversation would prove fruitful in the search for ragewave. While he was unfortunately not currently present, he had been at the inn just a bit earlier. Given the timing he was still likely to be in the nearby area.

After thanking the receptionist for their time, Sebastian returned outside before discussing the party's next course of action. "While we may need to put in a bit more leg work, we are closing in to the negotiations phase of this little adventure. Though splitting up may hasten our search, I fear that may leave some of us vulnerable to ambush. It could also prove troublesome to reconvene after one of us finds him."

Elena had elected to remain outside due to how the sign above the entrance unsettled her, and stood quietly with her hands folded over her stomach and waiting for Sebastian's reappearance. When he walked out and spoke about putting in more leg work to find Ragewave, she sighed before...

"I agree."

She started with a gasp as Korose walked around the corner donning fresh new clothing. And upon further inspection, Elena found them near identical to his old garb. A black jacket and undershirt, black pants, dark brown boots, and a charcoal gray belt with a silver buckle along with a new black blindfold to replace the torn one from earlier. And even if it was near identical to before, she had to admit he cleaned up well. He'd even managed to clean the blood from his hair which was now damp with each spike glistening in the sun and waving gently in the wind.

"I didn't hear you approach." She said, which made him turn his head her way.

She was about to reach for her parchment and pencil... But was then quick to put it away with a light blush filling her cheeks as she glanced to Sebastian hoping he would either translate or quickly change the subject for her.

"If Ragewave's as crazy as they say, which I believe he is, he'll make for the alleyways and use them as a means to reach a place that's safer for someone like him to freely speak his wacked out mind. Somewhere like the slums, sewers, or..."

Korose turned his head East and sent out a pulse which gave everyone a soft thump in the chest.

"... An underground segment of the city which has long been buried and forgotten." He said while turning his head back to face them.

Elena's eyes flickered at the mention of such a place, and her fingers instantly tightened against the backs of her hands as they remained interlaced in front of her stomach. The tiniest gulp was visible in her throat as she took a breath and nodded slowly.

"If we follow the alleyways we're bound to find the entrance somewhere nearby. It's most likely to be some kind of disguised piece of everyday living like a dried out well or a 'broken' sewer entrance hatch. So let's get moving."

Pantheran Pantheran King Castle King Castle Firewind Firewind

Much to the disappointment of Aranaea, it seems Ragewave was not at the inn. Searching for this ‘ideal Captain’ was running her brain ragged. This was the last place that was suggested to them to look. She felt Elena’s disappointment and almost wanted to agree with her. But then before any thought was given from her, Korose’s voice interrupted everyone.

As she whirled around to scold him she took in how he looked and how he no longer looked like some mere wandering blind vagabond she took him for. Her mouth dropped open at how he looked, but no words were coming out. “What are you?” She thought, trying hard to fight against her thoughts of how he looked when the dirt, blood and grime was wiped off his face.

Though, she had to admit, he was handsome. All the while Zaldir listened to Korose’s suggestions and when he used his magic to send out a pulse, it shook his sister out of her thoughts.

“Welcome back sis.“ He said with a sly grin on his face. “Brain have a nice trip after seeing how well our blind fri-Ow!” He was cut off by Aranaea tweaking one of his ears at the pointed end. Her universal signal of stop or she’d transmute a stick into a staff and clobber him.

“Jeez, can’t take any teasing you dish out at me?” he muttered in Elvish before nodding at Korose and replying in common. “Sooner we find the elusive crazy Bastard the better for us to get onto the boat and to the cove that much quicker. Well I’m geared up and ready for searching spooky places. Let’s go!”

It was an all-around agreement as everyone set off towards the alleyways behind the inn. Following Korose's lead they rounded the corner and had to walk in pairs to fit into the narrower streets between the buildings.

Korose's pace slowed slightly as he released a slightly weaker pulse than the one he'd used earlier. And when they came to a split in the path, he paused.

"Anyone see any signs of a direction we should go?"

Elena blinked.

Could he not see their path forward with whatever that pulse was?

Zagaroth had stayed silent and observed the situation as he was walking last behind everyone else. He was somewhat familiar with the undergrounds of Wahton, as stolen goods needed to be sold somewhere. However he was already one leg in the grave with the group. A locksmith wouldn't know about such a thing or where to go.

But once Korose sent another pulse and asked his question, the thief frowned. "So he can't see everything... Interesting." He skimmed the pathway in the darkness trying to see anything he could use: a muddy footstep or chalk mark on the stone as not to make others suspicious.

His hand run along the wall, his fingers looking for the marks he knew were there. A simple, yet barely noticeable lines carved into the stone. There was a short pause in his movement as he felt them. “"Let's go right."

Elena blinked as she looked over at Zagaroth. Hearing him speak was quite rare. But she liked his voice.

Korose's head turned as if to look at Zag out of the corner of his eye.

"Very well. Perhaps you should take lead for now?" He asked calmly.

Zagaroth looked at him and shrugged. “"If you want, elf." He walked forward, and took the right pathway.

He kept walking his hand along the walls as casually as possible. “"Another right." He told the group at the next turn and at the following “"Left."

He turned his head ever so slightly towards them. “ "Two rights and a left. Easy to remember if we get lost and need to backtrack."

After a couple more turns, the group was standing next to an old water well. It definitely looked broken, but the thief knew better. What he didn't know, was how to move on.

Elena cocked her head to one side.

"A well?" She asked aloud.

Korose took a few steps forward and sent out another pulse similar in strength to the one he'd used before pointing out that there was an underground section of the city, but slightly weaker to those more sensitive to the pulse.

"Stand back."

Korose took a breath and the shadows around his feet grew darker. A moment later a black streak slithered across the ground and over the edge of the well, seeming to climb it and inside the stone circle before a large slab of stone was lifted and removed by said shadows and set to the side.

"The drop is about ten feet. I'll go first."

Korose walked forward and hopped into the well, disappearing with an echoing "thud" before calling back up.

"Next one down!"

Zagaroth watched the shadows, still feeling the chill in his back from it. Magic like this was too dangerous for people like him. He watched as the elf disappeared inside and called for next. Being next in line he sat at the edge of the drop but then looked at the group. More specifically Elena and Aranaea. “"Do you ladies need help? I can set up ropes if you don't want to jump."

Elena blinked and smiled, looking back to Aranaea giving Zag a little triumphant grunt with a double fist pump.

"I can do this!" She declared.

However... There was a subtle tremor in her knees hidden from view by her dress. As she came forward and hoisted herself up onto the ledge of the well, she looked down to Korose who was "looking" up at them.

She made a tiny gulp before taking a deep breath and sliding off. Falling down she pushed both legs out and found herself gently falling into Korose's arms. But... her dress then fell down around said arms and she felt his hands cradling the bare flesh of her thighs. And even if he couldn't see her, Elena could all but confirm for herself that Korose could sense how red she had just gotten as he gently set her down and looked up to wait for the next.

Elena fixed her dress and fanned herself in a desperate bid to get her face to return to normal before anyone else saw it.

With Korose leading the way Sebastian felt that their vanguard had decent enough experience for the task. Unlike Korose however, he had little indication that anyone else was familiar with real combat. With this in mind Sebastian decided to take position in the back to guard against ambush.

Which was soon complicated when Korose's technique began to show it's limitations. Sebastian, of course, added the event to his growing list of observations. Of note was the tight confines of their current space. Could it be that physical objects limited the reach or clarity of his "sight"? When he found the underground did his ability not permeate said ground?

But that seemed to be a relatively strong "pulse", no? Then perhaps it was akin to sound, and would more easily envelope then penetrate objects. If so, could it be that it was wasting its momentum trying to permeate through the walls?

"Let's go right."

Sebastian's attention was pulled away from his theory crafting onto Zagaroth. He doubted that the suggestion was a mere guess. Thus the boy must have found somthing. After letting him pass Sebastian took a moment to check the wall where Zagaroth had been searching. There seemed to be naught, save a few scratches in the wall, for all he could tell. But perhaps it was different for someone who knew the "local language".

It was easily confirmed however, by simply checking the wall where ever Zagaroth found the next direction. The scratches, lines rather, even began to repeat for left and right. Sebastian would have neither found nor understood them if the boy had not so readily "told" him. But he could recognize the methods themselves. His family had spent quite some time looking for their stolen heirlooms after all. And who better to find such things then those who make a living from perpetuating the trade?

"A locksmith indeed." He decided to keep the thought and the knowledge to himself out of consideration to Zagaroth's efforts. The lad would tell them when he was ready.

Even with that mystery solved it would seem that Sebastian would still learn more of his companions. Upon their arrival they were met with a well topped by a troublesome stone. He was spared the effort of removing it himself thanks to Korose's display. And shadowfare magic certainly explained why the elf was not welcomed by the guards. Surely the hassle would not out weigh the risk from smuggling oneself in? Unless your profession was less then legal. Another "locksmith"? Or something more?

Perhaps he was over thinking things. It wouldn't have been easy for Korose to learn magic as a criminal. And if it started after he had learned then it would likely mean that he had passed at one time. The alternative would make things complicated. Perhaps he shouldn't press that particular matter. At least for the time being.

With that settled Sebastian decided to make himself usefull. "If you need more rope just let me know. Meanwhile I shall see to our lighting." He was happy that Zagaroth had taken the initiative to be friendly. And to help give him that chance Sebastian entered the well, careful not to land on anyone. As if practiced he placed one hand atop the wall, and swung his body over and around. Carrying the motion, he joined his other hand to the ledge and braced his feet against the inner wall. He then lowered himself down before finishing the drop with a clank.

He turned around to find Korose waiting to help everyone down and Elena furiously fanning her red face. "Miss Elena?" Sebastian moved to keep out of the way while he retrieved his bag. He pulled a plain wooden board from the bottem of the bags exterior, upon which he kept an anchor. "You are not proficient in combat, correct?" In the event that the board was too small he would make an appropriate anchor. In his guest room he kept a number of miscellaneous tools and equipment. They were placed on a flat surface where nothing could interfere with the spell. "Since we are to travel without the grace of the sun, would you be so kind as to be our lightbearer?"

In a flash his lantern had appeared. It was sturdy enough to endure both the wear and tear of the rough road and fierce battle. While not plain, it carried a quiet elegance. While its decorations were not ostentatious enough to win the envy of the nobility, they were clearly made with great care and skill. It also showed signs of age. Those who knew the current techniques could tell that it was at least a decade out of date. And though it had been carefully maintained, one could not hide the subtle marks of adventure.

"You can move the walls to change its illumination. From a wide area to a focus in one direction. Or you can completely hide the light without snuffing it out."

Last edited:
The siblings followed the group towards what appeared to be a well, Aranaea looking the more apprehensive about going into a sewer. Zaldir on the other hand was preparing Ardyn for when they had to part with the stallion, as underground is no place for a horse. When they arrived and people started to make their way down, Aranaea was about to answer Zag’s question when she saw Elena do a double fist pump and immediately went with no ropes and allowed herself to drop in. Aranaea raised an eyebrow and felt like she needed to match her adventurous spirit.

“I’m sure I can manage to get down without a rope.” She answered, as she walked up to the well and went up on it, looking down at the ten foot drop and swallowing nervously at the sight of it. Zaldir rolled his eyes and gestured to Ardyn who looked more then happy to join his master on a bit of mischief as the horse trudged up towards her and nudged her. “Wait Ardyn don’t-KYAA!” she cried out and fell in.

“Well, that worked better then I expected. Well Zag, either you or me next. Or we go roughly the same time into the sewers. Doesn’t matter to me.“ Zaldir said with a grin. “Though maybe we should make sure we set up some rope first so we can come back out. Eh Ardyn?”

The horse only huffed in reply. Zaldir nodded once. “Alrighty, Let’s go get the rope ready!”

Elena's face had begun to return to normal as Sebastian approached and called her name.

"I DIDN'T NOTICE!!" She yelled as her body stiffened.

Korose glanced over his shoulder with a subtle pulse, and then looked back up.

Elena turned around and nodded when Sebastian inquired about her proficiency in combat. And as he asked her to be the light bearer, she could hardly refuse. And as she took the lantern and listened to Sebastian's explanation of how it worked, her eyes filled with child-like wonder as she began toying with the panels to see how the light changed with each one and in different combinations.

Korose, meanwhile, saw Aranaea get pushed by the horse and caught her in his arms as she fell within reach. Now bridal style in a pair of arms that barely budged upon impact, Korose's head lowered and "looked" at her for a moment.

Aranaea opened one eye and looked down at how she didn’t hit the floor. Then, while opening her other eye, looked towards Korose with a long stare. She flushed pink ever so slightly which was a perfect contrast to her sapphire hair.

”T-Thank you. Much appreciated. Now i-if you don’t mind?” She said trying really hard not to freak out being carried bridal style.

Korose gently tossed her to the left, pushing up on her shoulders a little so she would land on her feet if she wasn't too clumsy.

Aranaea gave a quiet “Eep!” as Korose tossed her to the left and steadied her by pushing on her shoulders, automatically going from embarrassed, to angry and flustered. ”Watch where you’re putting those hands next time will you?!” she shouted, still pink in the cheeks, as she made sure nothing about her was out of place.

"Do I need to help you both down?" He called up to Zag and Zaldir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back