Other [deleted]

I didn't read anything about boys not being allowed into the girl scouts. It just didn't mention that because it wasn't relevant.

It firstly depends on whether it is a public or private organization on the first step. This has been a controversy for a while, though I haven't kept up with it since I first heard of it. But for those new to this it's because they have received government funding before, but have shown discriminatory policies involving gay people. In this case, it's just the fact that (as is mentioned in the article) the programs aren't the same - They're different. If it's a public organization, then I see it as unjustified. If it's private, then legally they are free to do as they please. However, I'd still encourage them to at least make a separate branch of themselves for women - Again, because of the differences.
Let's see how far this rides until the anti-feminists get here.
Hall Kervean Hall Kervean

I mean, this who discussion is fruitless because you have a Scouts group for girls and a Scouts group for boys.

Last edited:
I never got why Scouts had to be gender-segregated. No reason why boys can't sell cookies and girls can't hunt for lizards in the woods. I reccomend just combining the two, instead of continuing the weird separation.

Ah, so you're one of them "protect the innocents" types. I don't know a single girl over 10 who hasn't seen a penis yet, and vice versa. Overly prudent societies rarely breed children as naïve as they hope. It's not an obviously situation at all. If anything, the opposite should be obvious. It can be more dangerous to teach children to fear the opposite sex.

No? Lol I don't really see the point I mean:
There are camps that allow both boys and girls to do the same things together; group building, trust exercises, rock climbing, survival techniques. They're summer camps. Both genders can go. Sure they cost money, but so do the Scouts right?

There are Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts. To my knowledge they learn about the same stuff? At least around here they do? The only difference I know of is that boys sell popcorn and girls sell cookies (which come on, cookies are better lol)

No? Lol I don't really see the point I mean:
There are camps that allow both boys and girls to do the same things together; group building, trust exercises, rock climbing, survival techniques. They're summer camps. Both genders can go. Sure they cost money, but so do the Scouts right?

There are Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts. To my knowledge they learn about the same stuff? At least around here they do? The only difference I know of is that boys sell popcorn and girls sell cookies (which come on, cookies are better lol)

Actually, they don't learn the same stuff. Girl scouts is a much more casual setting, with very little outdoor opportunities. Most merit badges they can earn are along the lines of making hand puppets or learning how to comb a horse.

Venture Scouts. It has better stuff than Boy Scouts (they get to shoot handguns) and both boys and girls can join, and they don't have to leave till they're 21.
And I think they're pretty much private.
That responds to half of what I said. Regardless of whether there are alternatives, the Boy Scouts can not be for just one sex if it is a public program.
http://www.militaryatheists.org/regs/DODI1015-9pv1999.pdf
10 U.S. Code § 2554 - Equipment and other services: Boy Scout Jamborees
36 U.S. Code Chapter 309 - BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA
These three links show that they aren't just a private organization, at least in the typical sense.
4.1. The Boy Scouts of America and the Girl Scouts of the United States of America are organizations chartered by the Federal Government. These organizations are recognized as important adjuncts to the overall requirements for accommodating
and supporting DoD personnel and their families assigned to overseas areas.
4.2. The President of the United States has determined that the Secretary of Defense’s cooperation with and assistance to qualified scouting organizations in establishing and providing facilities and services, within available resources, at locations outside the United States is necessary in the interest of the morale, welfare, and recreation (MWR) of DoD personnel and their families.
The Secretary of Defense is hereby authorized to lend such cots, blankets, commissary equipment, flags, refrigerators, and other equipment and without reimbursement, furnish services and expendable medical supplies, as may be necessary or useful … [and to provide] transportation from the United States or military commands overseas, and return [and to provide] personnel services and logistical support at the military installation.
Because of this, uh... no. They aren't a typical private organization. They are federally recognized and receive certain privileges, thus they can not function like a typical private organization. At least they shouldn't.

And with the venture scouts, I'm not sure what your point is. I get the idea that it's supposedly a better version of the boy scouts where both girls and boys can join, but they're actually just one of the six programs offered by the boy scouts. I might have mistaken how it was presented though? It was listed in the "Boy Scouts of America" website under "Programs," so that's how it looks. But regardless, they also function differently with a different rank structure and age requirements (13 minimum.) The rank bit is important though, because things like the Eagle rank and the girl scouts Gold Award (Gold Medal? Gold Floppy disk? I'm too lazy to find the name again) can be grounds for a rank advancement when joining the military (Army-Portal.com - Army Advanced Enlistment / Early Enlisted Promotions Enlistment Opportunities For Advancement From Day 1). If their rank isn't recognized, then Venture scouts won't have the same benefit. Sooo is it? I would like a citation this time please.

Where we live, we just have "scouts".
Either boys or girls can join. Simple and to the point.
Why have like four different types of scouts when you can have one general one xO

Last edited:
In the first one, it is relatively private even though it has government endorsement when operating internationally for the purposes of the families of DoD personnel. Every single one of those you cited were all related to the families of DoD personnel overseas who could not ordinarily access the materials most Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts can, and as a result, there is a support system in place.
In the second case, everyone was stating that Girl Scouts fail to do high adventure activities, and so Boy Scouts should shove aside their foundation and invite girls in. I advised that they look into Venture Scouts, which has a better program (a subjective statement) for high adventure than Boy Scouts. And they can shoot handguns. And they're co-ed.
I can't cite an opinion.
And Venture Scouts can pin the Gold Medal onto their uniforms, so it would appear they're compatible with both programs.
Basically it is a high-adventure extension of Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts.

And also as a Boy Scout I can tell you that most boys don't want girls in their troops, at least where I live. So maybe you should let the boys have an opinion in this fundamental change as well.

Holding back a sigh here. The DoD instruction was the only link that was about DoD personnel overseas, the rest were on how code 36 relates to the Boy Scouts or the Jamboree. Code 36 is not just for overseas DoD families. It's about patriotic societies and observations. I don't know... why you think it's just about overseas members of these organizations.
Alright.
It's not an opinion. If you are making a claim that the military does or does not recognize the rank as grounds for advancement then your claim is now on the facts. Not on how you think things ought to be, but on how things are. That is citable.
You are currently showing why your 'can't cite an opinion' point doesn't make sense. This is the exact thing I was asking citation for.
Edit: I... think? You're talking about the military rank advancement thing, right?
Extension how? Is it a separate, equally recognized program, or something you take after going through the boy scouts?

If their reasoning makes sense, sure. If it doesn't, I don't care. Can I please have a citation?

giphy.gif

mfw I see they're trying to let the girls into the boy scouts
When I was a wee youngin I used to be in the cub scouts until I was a weeblo,
Just... Seriously? That's like saying a guy can waltz into the girl's volleyball team when it clearly says GIRLS ONLY. I guess I can kind of make an exception for trans people, but like, seriously? Man, what a disappointment the 21st century is.

Ok. I don't really disagree with much there.

"What am I citing!?"
I brought up the military thing to point out that the Venture scouts don't have the same recognition as the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, since no one argued that the Girl Scouts was comparable to the Boy Scouts until now. If you were going to disagree then I needed a citation. I thought you did disagree, so I asked for a citation. It turns out you didn't, so never mind. Hope that's cleared up now.
Hall Kervean Hall Kervean

Last edited:
WHAT ABOUT NONBINARY GENDERS IM TRIGGERRd

THE NONBINARY SCOUTS WILl rule

fuck i hate myself

I don't think so. If they end up doing so, I feel like a lot of the meaning and integrity of the organization is suddenly gone. There are girl scouts for a reason. If they want to do a lot of what boy scouts are doing, have them do it in their troops or have the organization offer badges for them.

It's like you and your brother/sister. Your sibling already bought their cool toy with their own money, so it's their choice to have it for themselves. Instead of going to the store and buying your own toy, just like your sibling, you want to skip all of that and demand that you play with their toy.

Just laziness when they have the option to do exactly what the boy scouts are doing in their organization.

This was a question I had to respond to in school. Or rather, there was an article that gave some reasoning as to why girls should be allowed in.
Opinion | I’m a girl. I’ve been part of the Boy Scouts for years. It’s time I become a member.
Basically, to sum it up, the author was unofficially a member of the Boy Scouts and managed to achieve identical achievements. But she failed to gain any ranks.
So her idea is to let girls into Boy Scouts.
But not Girl Scouts! Can't let boys in there.
So, thoughts?
As an Eagle Scout and a member of the O.A. Brotherhood, I'm personally adamantly against it. But I'm not you. So lemme know!
LEAVE YOUR ANSWERS IN THE COMMENTS BELOOOOOW!
I'LL PICK MY FAVORITES IN THE NEXT EPISOOOOODE
OF YIAY!
Stupidest thing I heard all day. Lol here's a good video on it

Trans boys and gays can join. Girls already have their own scout group. And nobody ever said anything bad about girls. I'm a girl who walked out into the woods at the age of 7, found a spider, and swallowed it... in front of some boys. That was the day people started finding me creepy.

It's called Boy Scouts for a reason.

Boy. Scouts.

Boy. Scouts.

BOY. Scouts.

Get your facts right, boi.

I'm with Chimney Swift Chimney Swift (again) and Noble Scion Noble Scion . I don't see why the scouts have to be segregated in 2017. Shouldn't all children be learning more or less the same things? Like . . . I don't see, for example, why "the girls are offered more art activities than the boys, but science activities make up only 2% of their activities and 6% for the boys. The girls’ activities are more communal, with 30% of their badge work taking place in groups, while the boys work is more self-oriented with less than 20% of their work taking place in a group." Why. Gender segregation is mostly based on antiqued ideas of gender-- what boys and girls should enjoy and be proficient in-- so I just don't see the point.
Not everything has to be gendered.
I feel like both boy scouts and girl scouts should continue to exist if given the same funding and opportunities, so that those who prefer the functioning of either can join, and those who wish to adhere to gender norms can do so. But there should be a less gendered organization available as well, for those who want to do both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back