• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

D&D 5e - Spelljammer: The Light of Xaryxis

Sarevok

Lord of the Underworld
Roleplay Type(s)
Safe in their own lives of mundane stability, most people are not aware that beyond their own world lies a vast universe stretching into infinity itself connected by an Astral Sea of limitless possibilities. And although the vast majority of beings that travel the Astral Sea could not care less about the inhabitants of the Prime Material Plane, not all of them are so benign.

It is at the very edges of time and reality that lies a terrible and forgotten evil who's name has been scoured from the memory of the ignorant people that live their lives blissfully unaware of the impending destruction that lies in wait for them in the darkest corners of the multiverse itself. And that even now, unknown to most, it turns hungry, covetous eyes on the world beneath it as it reaches out with grasping tendrils.....

037EA576-7AB3-484E-8C75-DC44B345B99E.jpeg

The city trembles and but for a moment you brace yourself for an earthquake. However, this is no earthquake, this is something much much more terrible. You stand there, aghast as the ground itself splits open. Gigantic, twisting vines burst up from the very earth itself, and all turns into chaos. Everywhere you look, everywhere you turn there are people running for their very lives as strange creatures drop from the vines, killing people where they stand. And it is not just this one place. All over the world, vines are tearing upwards as if they are growing from the core of the world itself.

A chance encounter with the beautiful Elaina Sartell, Captain of the Moondancer, a Space Galleon capable of sailing the Astral Sea changes the tides of fate itself. Forced to flee your dying homeworld as it is ripped apart from within, you are flung into a journey across the very multiverse itself, one that it is as strange and bizarre as it is exciting. As you sail through the stars themselves and beyond, you will discover a realm quite unlike anything you have ever known. A realm where entire cities exist on the surface of gigantic flying asteroids and the hulking corpses of dead and forgotten gods float across oceans of infinity is just the beginning of the strangeness you will encounter as you delve into the heart of a cosmic conspiracy and try to find a way to save your homeworld from certain destruction…..

50621F23-4DD4-4AB6-8A8E-C074501F9A07.jpeg

Welcome all to what will be my take on a Spelljammer game. For the uninitiated, Spelljammer is basically what you get if you combine sci-fi with Dungeons and Dragons.

This is going to be a wild and wacky ride across space and the multiverse, so if your idea of really good fun involves things like space pirates fighting against nihilistic astral elves or being chased down by a race of arachnid-like aliens flying a metallic deathspider warship then you’re going to love this game :).

I’m looking for 5-6 people to join this game and we’ll be aiming for a posting rate of 2-3 posts per week. If possible I’d like applications in the following format:-

Name:
Race:
Class:
Alignment:
Personality Traits:
Ideal/Bond/Flaw:

Go into a bit more detail on the below:

Appearance:
Personality:
History:

These are the mechanics which we’ll be using to build characters:-

Starting Level: 5
Ability Score Generation: 27 Point Buy
Starting Gold: 625 gp to spend on nonmagical equipment
Starting Equipment: As per class and background + one uncommon magical item of choice which I must approve beforehand
Acceptable Sources: PHB, Tasha’s, Xanathar’s, SCAG, Explorer’s Guide to Wildemount, Monsters of the Multiverse, Spelljammer Astral Adventurers Guide

I'm down for some cowboy times in space

Yep, that is correct, you’ll all know each other, if not be friends with each other when the game starts.

Oh! I've always thought Spelljammer sounded fun, but never tried it.

Name: Aristeia Calsetti
Race: Human
Class: Order Cleric/Divine Soul Sorcerer (Buff/Support)
Alignment: Lawful Good
Personality Traits: Self-Righteous, Iconoclast, Martyr, Idealist, Smiling at the Apocalypse
Ideal: Community. True goodness is when we work together for the greatest good for the greatest number. The miracle of the divine lies not in its intercession, but in the teachings we each follow every day.
Bond: My world is gone, and with it my church. I must shield the last flickering candle of my faith against the night until the beacon can be lit anew.
Flaw: In the face of annihilation, there is no room for doubt. If I do not uphold the tenets of my faith, it is already dead. If I do not practice its rituals without fail, they are lost.

Appearance:
Personality:
An idealist wracked with survivor's guilt and obsessed with the impossible task of doing justice to the memory of an entire world's innocents. Dogmatic, uncompromising, and fanatically clinging to the rituals and beliefs of her people - all she has left. She has built a fragile veneer of cheer over the gaping wound that is the loss of all she knew. When it shatters, all the anger, pain, and grief comes pouring out.
History: My world ended twice in a fortnight. First, when my heresy was laid low, my adherents scattered or dead. Second, at the moment when the hangman readied the noose. He expected the ground to be torn from under me. He did not expect it would be torn from under him. From under everyone and everything. Never had I thought I might miss the sclerotic, corrupt, and decadent church against which I rose, who denied my divine blood and descent from my patron saint.

I have my life, but at what cost? I and my companions carry a great and terrible burden. The weight of a world rests upon our shoulders. All this senseless death; I must make it mean something. I must preserve some small piece of what was lost. I must find a new home for my faith amongst the stars. I must build it right this time, in honour of all the fallen. Failure would mean the end of my faith, my people, my culture. Why did we live when so many died? Would that I had the power to reverse that trade.

I'm not sure how divinity works in spaaaaaace, but if you like this idea you can help me pick an appropriate god and tenets of this religion. It would be fun if my religion held some beliefs or cultural practices that were considered bizarre in the places we visit.

Name: Gatakatar
Race: Half-Orc
Class: Artificer
Alignment:
Neutral Good
Personality Traits: Foul-Mouthed, Pragmatic, Determined, Loyal, Creative, Hopeful
Ideal: Respect. Genuine respect between people with hold a crew together tighter than gold.
Bond: My crew along with their ship was lost during the calamity that befell the planet we docked at. But I'm sure they survived they're too tough to die.
Flaw: There's no problem that time and few good tools can fix and I was trained by the best damn Artificer ever. I don't have time for any mumbo jumbo about the gods or fate. I put my trust in what I can see and touch.

Go into a bit more detail on the below:

Appearance:
1702106523037.png
Personality:
A hard nose hard-working half-orc who spent the better part of his life traveling. This stoic mechanic seems unaffected by the presumed death of his crew because he thinks they managed to escape. He holds out persistent hope that they did and keeps his new crew at arm's length. He imagines scenarios in with his crew could have escaped that are highly probable. But his greatest fear is being given irrefutable proof they are dead.
History:
Gat never knew his parents and his name was picked at random on the day he was abandoned at an orphanage. Hailing from a heavily industrialized world Gat had been made to do factory work since he was five. He seemed to have a knack for machines which helped him avoid the crippling accidents the other child suffered. Life was somewhat bearable until he made the mistake of enraging the childminder. He ran to an off-world dock to avoid a beating that would have killed him and stowed away on a ship.

The crew of the Cosmic Cutlass eventually found him out. He would have been dropped off at the next port if the ship's mechanic didn't mention her needing an assistant with quick hands. He spent years as an unofficial then official part of the crew traveling from port to port. He had a family until a calamity at the last port they docked in took them from him.

For now at least.

Since the devastation, he's looked to figure out a way to stop this dreaded being and find his crew.

Starting Level: 5
Ability Score Generation: 27 Point Buy
Starting Gold: 625 gp to spend on nonmagical equipment
Starting Equipment: As per class and background + one uncommon magical item of choice which I must approve beforehand
Acceptable Sources: PHB, Tasha’s, Xanathar’s, SCAG, Explorer’s Guide to Wildemount, Monsters of the Multiverse, Spelljammer Astral Adventurers Guide

Awesome thanks. I’ll fire up the Character thread later today for you to start putting characters in.

Random Word Random Word , not sure if you’re familiar with Forgotten Realms pantheon, but they are applicable for this game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back