• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Cursed Island

Nidia hurried over once she saw Turac. "Jalin, you left out how many times he shot himself. How did you even manage this?" She started working her magic as she spoke.

Emilia glanced over as Siege moved in but otherwise just focused on calling her parents.

Roy headed back out, going to the opposite side of the courtyard from the corpse bonfire to settle down.

"I only heard a hiss," Jalin grumbled.

"Really, I am fine," Turac insisted, "It's barely a flesh wound!", He was trying to put the darts back in the crossbow when Nidia came and started fussing, "It's a repeater, the darts are tiny." He held up a tiny metal capsule he was going to attempt to refill with his steam breath before Nidia caught up.

Lyak was the one that answered Emilia's call this time, little green head appearing in the mirror, "Oh, Emilia!", she looked back towards the door to the rest of the house, "Dad's out doing a house call, you wanna talk to mom?"

"'Flesh wounds' should not be brushed off, even by a dragon. Get too many and it'll suddenly be a bone wound. And that's not so easily fixed."

Emilia gave a nod. "Yeah, whoever's around."

Turac sighed, "Really, you should be focusing your attention on the others." It really was a minor wound, his clothes were sturdy, and darts couldn't penetrate very deeply without time to actually accelerate in the air. The only thing remarkable was how much it was bleeding before Nidia's intervention. At a dragon's scale, such a measure of blood was negligible. At a human scale that was a worrying amount. But Nidia was good at healing and was able to stop the bleeding quickly.

"How did you do that, anyway?", Jalin asked.

"Well, when I went into town, I asked a smith for a weapon and armor," Turac tapped the assembled plates on his chest, "I don't need them, but do I look like I could pass for a sorcerer?" He couldn't. "I was browsing his collection and I found this thing," he held up the tiny crossbow, "It basically shoots tiny thorns, but it was interesting enough that I'd rather have it in my hoard so I could understand it, and maybe someone in the family could use it better." He held up the cartridge, "This thing holds compressed air, which drives some kind of thing, that keeps the arms pulling back to keep firing the darts."

-----------------

"Okay!" Lyak vanished from view as she ran to go find Erina, "Emilia's on the mirror!"

"The others haven't shot themselves..." Nidia mumbled as she cleaned up the wound area, now that the bleeding was stopped.

Katsuo shook his head. "Is a skilled archer with a bow not good enough anymore?"

----------

"Coming!" Erina took a little bit to scurry over to the mirror, smiling as she looked at Emilia. "Hello, dear! How's your adventure going?"

"We just cleared a whole fort of bandits!"

"You what? Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I stayed in the back. We took them down easy. Oh, and the twins' brother, Turac is here now, too. So, we're much safer now."

"Ah, I see..."

"I have not met a skilled archer in the last twenty seven years that wasn't a wood elf named Adran, my mother, or Shuffle," Turac shrugged, "I don't think it's a combat weapon, anyway, it's very flimsy, and complicated."

"With the advancement of time comes the advancement of technology," Jalin shrugged, "Perhaps one day a stone will be invented that can perform surgery, and healers need only worry about potions and aftercare."

--------------------

"Oh, dad was talking about Turac a few weeks ago!', Lyak piped up, "He was arguing with Jerry about the circumference of his horns. What's he doing over there? Isn't he massive?"

Nidia shook her head. "That sounds a bit far fetched. Surgery is often rather precise, not something I'd trust to a stone, magical or otherwise."

----------

Emilia nodded. "He came specifically to help us. And yeah, he's normally huge, but apparently Jerry ordered a ring from dad to let him take a human form. It fits onto his horn, so that's probably what they were talking about."

Erina spoke up. "Ah, yes, I remember that. So, that's what it was for."

"A steam powered hand crossbow sounds just as far-fetched as a magic surgery stone," Jalin shrugged, "The only limit to the complexities of enchantments you can weave on an object is the skill of the enchanter and the ability of the object to withstand the flow of mana, Katsuo's bones are proof of that. Who's to say what new arrangements of magic will be discovered in ten years time?"

"I'll be adding those toys to my hoard, too," Turac spoke up, "It's nifty."

"They are not toys."

----------------

"Oh," Lyak frowned, "What's he look like?" She remembered the collars made Asta look different, and Jerry looked a bit odd compared to the image Lyak was used to.

Nidia nodded as she stepped back, finished with the treatment. “I have to agree with Jalin on that. That thing is dangerous, as you’ve just proved.”

—————

“He’s a big beast of a man.” Emilia giggled. “Nidia almost started drooling, and she’s been making eyes at him all day. He hasn’t noticed.”

Erina raised an eyebrow. “And you?”

“I know how to be subtle.”

Erina gave a smile.

Turac rolled his eyes, "It was only a nick," he stood up and brushed himself off, "I've taken bigger hits and walked away perfectly fine."

---------

"Ew!", Lyak made a face, "Something's wrong with you two!"

"Yes, well, you probably had a shell at the time. As I've said to everyone else, some more than others, please be careful. Yes, I can heal when it's needed, but it's better to avoid injury."

----------

"Oh, you haven't seen him. In fact..." Emilia hopped out of her web and scurried out to find Turac. "I'm gonna show you."

"I always have a shell," Turac put the deflated cartridge to his mouth and puffed his cheeks as he compressed his steam breath into it, squeezing and re-sealing the seal back on with his tongue and the heat before he plugged it back into the tiny crossbow and put it away. "In this form, it is steel. In my true form, dragonbone"

"Emilia is coming," Jalin tapped his cane and left to go find a room to occupy for his rest.

Emilia half skittered, half hopped over to them. “Hey, mom and Lyak wanna see your human form.” She turned the mirror around before pointing it at Turac.

Erina blinked. “...well, hello.”

Emilia peeked into frame. “Mom, you’re married.”

"That's a strange thing to want," Turac raised an eyebrow, "I thought uncle Adran showed you already."

"Well, you hadn't shaved and had thirty years worth of crud on you," Lyak shook her head.

Erina nodded. "But you clean up nicely." She looked at Lyak. "See? It's as I said. Any man can look good if he puts the right amount of effort into it."

Emilia giggled. “Anyway, that’s about all I came out here for. Good night guys.” She waved to the others as she headed back to the barracks, turning the mirror back to herself. “So, has anything been going on over there?”

"Dad built a basement," Lyak shrugged, "I don't know why it took him so long to get an actual summoning room, but he's still working on making it fiend-proof."

"Nidia, you should get some sleep," Turac said after a bit, "It's late."

"Oh, that's neat. No more demons busting into our rooms." Emilia smiled.

"Yeah, I know. I hope you'll sleep when you need it, too. Good night." Nidia waved to him before going to find her way upstairs. Along the way, she spotted Roy laying by the wall and went over to check on him. "Hey, are you alright?"

Roy opened his eyes and looked over. "Yeah. Just didn't want to use the beds in the barracks."

"Ah. Makes sense." Nidia glanced up at the sky. "Hm... It's nice out. Mind if I sleep out here, too?"

"Ah, no. Go ahead."

She nodded and sat down a few feet away, leaning back against the wall as she brought up her mirror and considered what to mention.

Roy looked over at her as he sat up, an idea coming to mind. "Can I borrow that when you're done?"

"Oh, sure." Nidia gave him a smile before calling home.

"As long as you don't put one under your bed again,' Lyak chuckled, "Come on, how often does one get away from dad on its own?"

Veo answered the mirror after a few seconds, pulling it out from under the bar and standing it against something as she mixed drinks and food, "Hey, sweetie!"

"Thankfully not often."

Erina nodded. "He's always been good at keeping them under control. Well, since I met him anyway. I'm sure there was a time he was still learning."

Nidia smiled at Veo. "Hi, Mom! How are you?"

"Definitely," Lyak looked back as the bell in the shop dinged, "We've got customers, I gotta go," she hopped down from the stool to go see what the customer wanted.

"Things are going great," Veo smiled and slid a mug down the bar, "How's the adventuring going?"

Erina gave a nod. "I should get back to work myself. Good night, dear."

Emilia smiled at her. "Good night." They waved to each other before ending the call.

"It's going well. Turac's with us now. Jerry got him a ring to take a human form, so he can avoid taking up too much space."

"Let me guess," Veo chuckled, "He's a massive monster of a man? His father's the same way." She peered around the corner towards the stage, "Bastet and your father are on stage right now, they'll be back down in half an hour if you want to talk to them."

Nidia giggled. "Yeah, you got that on the nose. I don't think I'll be up that much longer. It's already pretty late here. I just wanted to let you know I'm alright."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back