• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Cursed Island

"Mm, I suppose." Tanis soon came to a stop. "Here. It's past this point that I've been unable to find prey. I've also felt things moving, but I could never detect body heat."

"I see nothing," Turac called, scanning the swamp. "What about you guys?"

"I don't see anything," Siege called, drawing her axe as she clamored down from Turac's shell into the waist-deep water with a splash, "Jalin, you got anything?"

"I have not been able to get anything since getting on this turtle," Jalin declared, "What makes you think-" He paused, then frowned around his blindfold. "There is something... A corpse." And by the feel, a lot of them, "Below the water's surface."

Roy spoke up. "Let's proceed with caution then. Whatever turned it into a corpse may still be around."

Tanis moved back a little as Shuffle let go to start snooping about in the water. "I'm not one for fighting, so I'll wish you luck here. Do visit me again if you're ever passing through. I always enjoy the company."

"Hmm," Jalin climbed down from Turac's shell as the turtle sniffed around the water's surface.

"I smell decay," the dragon turtle said, lowering himself so whoever was getting off could do so easily, "This place speaks of danger."

"That may be," Jalin agreed, "But we have to- Oh!" A grin spread across the necromancer's face as he stepped into the water, "Oh, that is much better than just air!"

Tanis turned and headed back the way she came as they began looking around. Roy, Emilia, and Nidia chose to stay on Turac's back for the time being. They all fought from a distance, so there wasn't much reason to get down. Shuffle swam ahead to check out the corpse Jalin had mentioned, surfacing again a few moments later. "I found the body, but I can't tell what killed it. It's mostly just bone."

"Bone?" Jalin forged his way through the deepening water to inspect the bones, and try to reanimate them. A skeleton could tell you much about its killer, and that would provide a hint for what was the cause of the plants leaving the area.

Despite Jalin's efforts, the bones did not react to his magic. It was the same kind of resistance as when Niudisa had told him to reanimate bodies she'd already raised. The bones were lying still, but someone else had them under their control already.

"Hmm..." Jalin frowned at the realization. "That is not good..."

"What?", Siege looked over from where she was scanning the edge of the puddle.

"These bones are another mage's dominion."

Roy furrowed his brow. "So, we're dealing with a necromancer then. It must have been undead that Tanis didn't identify. No body heat for her to sense."

"I don't know," Jalin frowned as he stood up, "But we are dealing with something strong. This is a large quantity of bones ordered idle... Even Lady Niudisa struggled to maintain this quantity in idleness while she worked."

Emilia spoke up. "Why would they be idle instead of doing some task though? Hm...it could be a trap. Other people wouldn't see them under the water and just walk ahead. They wouldn't know they're surrounded by corpses until they all stand up."

"In that case," Turac reared his head back, frost mist forming around his mouth, "Shuffle, help me freeze this." A frozen corpse could not harm the party.

Roy spoke up. "Hold on, Turac. Freezing your own lake is fine and all, but this is a warm, humid climate. A sudden large freeze could have serious side effects."

Shuffle looked over. "Then we just freeze where the corpse is."

"That...that would be fine, I suppose."

Turac took that for permission, the mist around his jaws building until he delivered it onto the spot around the bones, bathing them in magical cold, the water rapidly freezing as Jalin hurried to vacate the premises before he shared the fate of the bones.

Shuffle jumped back as well before going back under the water to see if she could find some more. Whenever she did find more, she'd make sure to freeze them over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back