• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom [Closed] Tower of God: Alpha Perspective

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Illiam Herlaa
Tags: Azure Sky Azure Sky
Illiam couldn't stop thinking. Beyond the usual thoughts that swarm, the buzz of desire and hunger that pangs. Those wonderful distractions were gone today. Too many names and the faces they summoned from the mist of his mind, too much Illiam would rather forget. The mist cleared, visages that brought Illiam to tremble were made known to his memory. The sights were unwelcome. The memories of those who stole from him caused his arm to throb. The memories of those stolen from him caused his heart to throb. He wished to rend it all from his body.

The door opened gently. Quiet, careful, Illiam walked into the infirmary. The usually heavy steps rang softly this time as Illiam spotted what he was looking for. Minerva laid alone in the infirmary bed. Illiam needed this, a moment of rest, and with any luck, she could bring back the fog that comforted him once more.

Illiam was silent as he pulled up a chair, silent as he stood over Minerva and silent until he dropped a single flower on her lap. A flower that had longe since been broken by the stem by Illiam's grip on it, bent to a sharp angle. The still budding flower was painted a stunning green. "Get better." The command rang out with all the sincerity such a wish would usually convey. Even if his tone held tone held little kindness.

Finally taking a seat next to Minerva, Illiam took a few moments to look at the girl. His expression, of furrowed brow and downturned lips, told of Illiam's sadness. Looking upon Minerva, not in pity, in hurt. "I'm glad you weren't taken from me." An honest sentiment. After all, Illiam wanted this girl. Or rather, after their first interaction, he had already laid a cold claim to her. His calm tone did will to hide the intent that sullied his words.

"Minerva. Mind if I stick around here for the day? Ain't got anywhere else to go."

Derrick (F-Rank, Regular)
Floor 20, Outer Tower - Ophidian
Derrick had been so engrossed in his reading material that he hadn’t even heard Ellia return, let alone the dinging of the doorbell when a new customer entered. It was only when she addressed him that Ophidian’s blonde store clerk finally looked away from the manual…and blinked, taken aback by her appearance. Green hair. Big ribbon. A girl that carried herself with confidence despite the fact that her dressed was in tatters, splashed with colorful paint and…was that a mushroom hanging off her lace?

Still.

It wasn’t as if he hadn’t seen weirder things, given the company Ophidian’s owner tended to keep, and a girl looking less than her best was hardly the strangest customer he’d ever seen. The tower was full of different species and the girl, at the very least, seemed to be human. A Regular, in fact, from the way she described herself. Did she come to take the test? Or, was she buying a souvenir because she planned on leaving? At the very least, Derrick could conclude that she wasn't a resident of the 20th floor. “Uh, that would depend on your budget and sorts of things that don’t piss you off, Ma’am. Our clientèle come from all sorts of a backgrounds and prices are usually negotiable. ”

Though it was indeed more often Rankers, or people that knew of Evelyn Wicker, that stopped by...or could even afford some of the rare stuff sold. The Galleon didn't go out of his way to advertise. In fact, he seemed to find pleasure in keeping Ophidian (and all its wares) relatively obscure...as if making a test of his own. Only a select few, generally from wealthier backgrounds, knew it existed. As for the others that stopped by the 20th floor...they either lucked into it or had an eye for rare and unique items. “If you’re looking for something to remember your experiences by, I think we have a mirror that lets you store memories lying around here somewhere…”

91fd2aodeOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Ducking behind the counter, sounds of rummaging and boxes being moved could be heard as Derrick searched for the mirror. “Aha, here it is!”

The clerk placed a circular, ornate, antique-looking mirror on the counter. “The Mirror of Recollection. Hold it and pour a bit of your shinsoo in it to activate it.” Derrick gave a quick demonstration and the mirror glowed as if coming to life. “It doesn’t require much. Once you do, just think about the memory you want to store and the mirror will make a copy of it for you to look back and review whenever you want. Just look at it and say ‘Mirror, Mirror, show me the memory I want to see' and the desired memory will be replayed back for you to enjoy or show others. It’s locked to the shinsoo of the person that activated it, so only the person who initially stored the memory will be able to access the memory. No one’s bought it yet, probably because it’s not a battle item and it's really just a recording device for people who tend to be forgetful, so I’m willing to sell it at a discounted price.”

Perhaps if he did manage to sell it he wouldn’t have to listen to Evelyn harp about what a bad salesperson he was.

“Alternatively, we have some roughly E or D ranked weapons and armors near where Ellia is looking,” Derrick looked to the blue haired Regular who seemed to have found a watch among the junk. He hadn’t seen when she came in and she made no special attempt to call attention to herself either. For a daughter of one of the Great Families she seems content to stand in the background, Derrick noted amusedly. “You might be able to find some affordable wands or something from among the pile. ” Not even he knew all the wares that were sold in their shop—or what they could do. Evelyn collected a lot of…odd…things...that he ‘liked’ and the relative worth/rank of the items themselves were debatable. Derrick wasn’t entirely certain some of the items their Rankers ‘collected’ to stock Ophidian were acquired legally either.

“We don’t sell clothes unfortunately…” Ophidian was a rare item shop, not a clothing store. “…But I’m sure I can find something upstairs to sell to you if you really need it...”

The girl seemed to be having a bad day and it wasn’t Derrick’s nature to turn others away. In fact, the only reason he'd offered to sell the clothes instead of give it away for free is that the prior offer was less insulting. While Derrick was rather curious about the story behind her current getup, he had a feeling she wouldn’t appreciate her ripped, colorful, fungi-infested ensemble being brought up.

The One Eyed Bandit The One Eyed Bandit

A few years before it would work normally again, huh? Ji-hyeon rubbed the cast over her arm. Could be worse. Could be dead. Could be her main arm that was turned into mush. She would say she suffered worse injuries, but she would only be lying to herself. There were close seconds, but this one was the head honcho of it. They weren't kidding when they said Floor 20 was when the tests jumped the shark. She wondered, though, if that was actually true. She technically was going up against someone who wasn't even supposed to be there in the first place. She sighed, and reached into her pocket for her smokes. She extracted a somewhat battered pack, and thumbed it open.

Only two sticks left. She raised the pack to her lips and withdrew one from the pack. Exchanging the white pack for a lighter, she lit up the cigarette, and leaned against the wall, drawing in a breath of smoke. Then, she started thinking, assessing the situation that she was in. Left arm broken, shield destroyed. She could probably still handle a sword well enough to survive the next few floors. However, her bog-standard Needles from Floor 2 or something probably won’t do her well in any regard. She needed to expand her options just a little bit to get somewhere. Probably a simple sword would do. Single-edged and light would be sufficient. As for her shield, she probably needed a replacement for when her arm recovered properly. That and a lot of rehabilitative training. She didn’t need a magic 8-ball to know that this was definitely not a good outlook. She exhaled, blowing out a cloud of smoke into the air. That Minerva girl could probably fix something up for her. However, the last time she checked in on her, she was being accosted by one of the other participants. Illiam Herlia, if she recalled correctly. She wasn’t going to invade on their privacy, and Eurasia had somehow disappeared before her. Logical. She wasn’t as injured as the rest of them, if at all. Putting Drake down removed all the traces of the toxin in their bodies. Ji-hyeon checked on the Ha kid as well, but she needn’t even have bothered. He was clear of the smoke, and was clearly in no actual danger. Chalk it up to Ha toughness, she supposed.

Not that it affected Ji-hyeon much in the first place. That was a good spot of acting if she thought so herself. Though, she really did feel like she was going to collapse right there and then. Weird Shinsoo magic stuff like that was dangerous! She made a note to herself that she ought to avoid stuff like that in the future. She returned the cigarette to her lips, but paused before she could take another drag. She added a sidenote to make space in her Arms Inventory to store her next shield. “Hmm,” she murmured, then pushed herself off from the wall, scattering ashes onto the ground beside her haphazardly. Time to go shopping. More cigs, more weapons, then maybe round back here to talk to Minerva.

---

She slipped the five new packets into her pockets, pleased to have gotten a discount on them after some insistent haggling with the shopkeeper. Along with those, came a few beers as well. She needed the drink. Nothing like a good bitter taste to flush down the aftertaste of getting her shit pushed in. She was momentarily distracted by a black jacket on display in one of the shops, and gawked at it for a long while, while running the numbers in her head. Even if she wasn’t exactly the type to try and look pretty, fashion was still a focus. First impressions last, after all. Still, the price tag was a little too hefty. Not with her other planned purchases. Disgruntled, she continued her walk through the 20th floor. Last she heard, there was some kind of store around here that provided various services. Armor, weapons, and artifacts, all. She peeked through some of the windows, trying to get a lock on which one it is.

What did get her eye when she peered into one of them though, was the sight of a certain green-haired Family lady. Ugh. Eurasia, here? She probably shouldn’t bother her, Ji-hyeon thought to herself as her hand already closed around the handle of the door. Then again, her instincts were telling her to try this store. Darn it. She unclasped her the red mask that somehow survived the whole altercation in the test earlier, and threw it over her face, struggling slightly to slip the elastic band around her head with one hand. She drew her sleeve over her cast, and strode straight up to the counter, where the clerk was attending to Eurasia already. She ignored the latter, stepping up to the side once the clerk was done with his initial pitch.

“Shopkeeper,” she addressed the clerk, “I am going to climb the tower. I wish to buy your strongest weapons.” She glanced at the prices, then corrected herself. “I wish to buy your more affordable weapons and armor.”

The One Eyed Bandit The One Eyed Bandit QuirkyAngel QuirkyAngel

Mentioned: Azure Sky Azure Sky Rantos Rantos OverconfidentMagi OverconfidentMagi

"So what, it's like a camera?" Areum picked up the mirror and examined it as the clerk detailed the particularities of its functions. She ran her fingers over the silver gilding that lined its frame, allowing her skin to sink in and out of the intricate network of crags and carvings. If the girl were to be frank, she didn't really see the point of the thing. She was pretty sure her pocket could serve the same function and then some, but on the other hand, it was very pretty.

"I can't say I see the practical point of this kind of thing. I guess a souvenir is right, huh?" She joked, half to the clerk and half to herself. "But, seeing as that's what I'm in the market for anyway..." She started to reach for her Pocket, but her voice trailed off as she heard another patron enter the establishment. On reflex, her eyes darted over her shoulder, just in time to catch sight of the horned perpetrator as she forced her way into the conversation.

Without skipping a beat, whatever semblance of composure she'd managed to recollect since her flight from the testing site crumbled. Ji-Hyeon. The horned woman was clearly trying to hide her identity but did she think she was idiot?

She knew what someone with a busted arm looked like when they walked. It was a familiar enough sight in the mirror, after all. Between that, the amazonian build, her green hair, the grating voice, and the obvious attempt to go incognito, the identity of this 'mysterious customer' was painfully obvious.

And she did mean painful.

It was like someone had forced her to drink an inky-black potion of negative emotions. She could feel all the anger and frustration of the last hour past welling up again, a bubbling hot spring of irritation welling up in her gut and threaten to transform into a geyser. Her lips drifted closed, and she slid the trinket back onto the counter. A short time passed, and her eyes lingered on the other woman. She could very well tell what would happen if she tried to speak to her right now. It'd be like using a needle to puncture a balloon.

Once she realized where she was looking, her attention snapped back to the storekeeper, if only for a moment.

"Nevermind." She spoke bluntly at the blonde Regular, and placed the mirror back down on the counter with as much gentleness as she could muster. If it weren't for the tattered folds of her dress, it would've been easy to see her muscles tense with the stress of restraint. Her cringe, then, was especially deep when the mirror rang out with a sharp metallic clack, despite her efforts. In the instant that followed a triad of emotions flashed across her eyes, each too brief and faint to distinguish, and then she fled from the store.

At first, she walked slowly, each of her footsteps intentionally laboured as to control her pace, but by the time she'd made it to the exit, her gait had morphed into a proper storm. Once she was within the outside crowds, the girl was only a slight bit of acceleration short of a run.

Every muscle, instinct and desire in Areum's body was screaming at her. She wanted nothing more than to confront the woman, to put her in her place and belabour he with all of the grief she'd put her through; but, a part of her she thought wiser held her back. She could remember it well enough. All of the conflicts she'd started, all of the confrontations she'd thrown herself into, yet she couldn't remember a single one of them making her feel even the slightest bit better.

Just tired. Regardless of if she won or lost her little verbal jousts, all she ever felt afterwards was just tired.

QuirkyAngel QuirkyAngel simj26 simj26

Exnor

He was lucky to say the least. He did not get injured even once throughout the whole ordeal. Yet Exnor could only feel a sense of emptiness as he walked towards the arena. He was surprised about Nyra's direct way of addressing him. She had her own strengths, that is what Exnor believed initially. But she was the same as other Anima. Her Shinheuh where yet other slaves. She was not special. She was the same as others. In fact, what was he thinking? Anima by definition were given that name and position because of the ability to control those creatures. Exnor had that talent as well, but he refused to cultivate it. Controlling other creatures to do one's bidding. The technique of cowards and weaklings. Once one got beyond their pets, they were subpar at best. What a sad family he was born into.

He finally reached his destination. There she was, waiting for Exnor. He vaguely remembered her attempts at trying to appear tough, and her mentioning that she found Exnor disappointing for some reason unknown to him. He could guess what she wanted. Probably upset that he attacked her pet jellyfish. What a hypocrite, controlling them against their will and then showing anger when someone attacked them. Exnor looked at Nyra with his usual defying eyes. Then again, he was a hypocrite too in a way. He realised he didn't care much about Shinheuh. He pitied them, but they were weak enough to be mentally controlled by other weaklings. Weak minds in powerful bodies. The idea that Exnor could eventually defeat any such creature with his martial prowes made him excited.

"Hello, fellow hypocrite. You are likely here to talk about your jellyfish. Let me make this quick: yes, I did attack it. No, I feel no remorse. No, I do not feel the need to explain myself, especially not to you. No, I no longer feel respect towards you. And no, your so-called disappointment, or any threat, has no value to me whatsoever." He smirked, blunt as usual. Was Nyra gonna try and use words to downsize him? Fat chance for that to work. Was she going to attack as he presumed? He would disable her control over the fish and just show her the vast difference in strength. She had her fair share of tricks and powerful Shinheuh, Exnor wasn't going to deny that. But he did not fear the Shinheuh she had, and it would have been laughable for him to fear Nyra herself. He did, however, entertain the idea that she left a trap somewhere. Maybe an invisible Shinheuh. He did start to sharpen his already supernatural senses with Shinsoo. He could pick up even the faintest level of noise, or smell. Pressurized water instead? He'd jump. Giant Shinheuh that would swallow him up? He had a B-Grade dagger. Good enough to carve any of her eels nicely from the inside. Despite his overall confidence, however, he did not underestimate Nyra. Since Tok, Exnor stopped being that arrogant.

OverconfidentMagi OverconfidentMagi

Minerva

It was a long day. She almost died, had it not been for Ji-Hyeon's way of dealing with things, Exnor's help (although his demanour did annoy her initially), and the help of Ranker Weiss. That, coupled with the past even of fighting Naseon and having a hollow victory, made Minerva realise she had severe limitations in certain combat and situational departments. She needed more training. More varied training.

"Father, you were wrong..." She thought to herself. Her thoughts, however, were interrupted with the apparition of an unexpected guest. Minerva watched confused as Illiam brought a flower. It was in a bit of a sorry state, but Minerva found the gesture sweet. Too bad he ruined with what followed afterwards out of his mouth. Or rather, the way he said it. He ruined the moment.

"Annoying tone. And very poor choice of words. Also, glad I wasn't taken from you? Is that a confession? I am so terribly sorry, but it can never work between us. I'll have to refuse." Minerva crossed her arms, puffed her cheeks and turned her head to the side. After hearing if he could stay there for a while, Minerva took a better look at him. He was in an unusally sorry state. Almost...vulnerable.

"You can stay, as long as you don't try to annoy me further." She said. As always, a softie.

Rantos Rantos

Ellia Aris Khun + Derrick
tumblr_otamm0NMoK1vy2tgqo2_400.png
Holding the watch she’d found among Ophidian’s wares, back facing the area of interest, Ellia watched, from the conner of her eyes, as Aerum Eurasia stormed out of the store as soon as another person entered. Well storm wasn’t exactly the right word. It started slow at first, deliberate, as if attempting to reign in the fire within, then gradually picked up the pace.

She recognized the Eurasia scion of course, even with her tattered garbs. As one of the nobles of the Tower, Ellia had taken it upon herself to study all the Great Families and memorize the name of (most) its members—Ranker or otherwise. Politics, and not accidentally insulting those within the noble circle, required that much at least. Aerum Eurasia was especially notable.

There’d been a lot whispers about her when she’d been selected as a potential Candidate.

Even more when she was disowned. Not due to weakness, or improper conduct, or even treason against the crown…but for disobeying her mother. For running away from home and daring to take the Princess Selection test in the first place. In that sense, she and Aerum were completely different. Ellia’s whole life had been listening to her mother. She couldn’t imagine breaking free of the familial bonds that tied her to the only one who truly cared for her. Couldn’t imagine giving up the security she’d known all her life.

Therefore, when she’d first heard of the story of Aerum Eurasia from her mother, Ellia had been mildly curious about the girl. Aris Khun had been talking politics when she brought up the topic, of course—further proof of the Eurasia family’s dissonance from the crown. However, Ellia found herself wondering if Aerum Eurasia was happy making the choice she did.

Judging from what she’d just witnessed…Ellia guessed not.

Blue eyes drifted to the horned figure that had driven Aerum Eurasia away; Female (probably), from the sound of her voice, with a muscular build and green hair. The gait, and the way the arm was held, suggested an injury even with the sleeves covering up the cast—unless of course normal people walked with their arm held up in that manner. Her face couldn’t be seen behind the mask, but the fact that she attempted to hide her state suggested bravado…or simply a desire to not stand out and not be targeted by those that would prey on the weakened.

She did say she was climbing, after all.

Derrick had yet to respond to his second customer, too busy lamenting the crack on the mirror that formed when Aerum “gently” put it down. Mr. Wicker would undoubtedly have to be told and Derrick, poor Derrick, would have to be the messenger. Not the High Ranker probably didn’t already know. The Galleon was a Guide and his main position was Light Bearer, after all. Therefore, the likelihood that Mr. Wicker had a lighthouse somewhere recording the events in his shop was high. Ellia couldn’t feel it. Her skills weren’t nearly enough to challenge a High Ranker. However, probability and logic didn’t let her underestimate someone who’s managed to climb the Inner Tower.

“I am also climbing the tower,” Ellia couldn’t put a solid reason as to why she’d spoken up to fill the silence. Curiosity perhaps. It wasn’t every day you see a normal Regular scaring away someone from the Great Families.“There are two weapons I noticed over here that stand out, but remain within a relatively affordable price range.” Affordable for her at least. "Perhaps they would peak your interest..."

“Ah! You have good eyes, Miss Ellia,”
Her comment seemed to have woken Derrick from his depressed, semi-panicked state and he was finally able to give his second customer a good look. The blond clerk led his masked customer to where Ellia was standing, though his hands gestured to one of the weapons Ellia pointed out. A thin red needle. “This here is an ignition weapon crafted from the soul of the master strategist and fisherman, Carmenz Valeo. When ignited, the weapon will talk to you and, in its wisdom, guide and/or assist you verbally through battle. It also makes for a good companion if you’re looking for a friend.”

Personally, Ellia had never heard of Carmenz Valeo.

Derrick then pointed to the other weapon Ellia called to attention—a long katana. “And this one’s been enchanted to be tied to its wielder’s will. It won’t break so long as its wielder’s will for victory doesn’t.”

“Who’s the enchanter?”
An enchantment was only as strong as the sorcerer that created it, after all.

Derrick shrugged. “Beats me. I only know what the Boss tells me. By the way, where is Lady Khun?”

“Training is finished for the day so Mother decided she wanted to visit some of the clothing shops in the area. I expect she’ll be here for at least another week.”
Or however long it takes Ellia to get a grasp of the Petals of Lightening technique. Once she got the basics down, the rest was just training. “Then I really must continue climbing. Give my thanks to Mr. Wicker for the advice.”

“Did he tell you were Ajax is?”

“He gave me the path I need to take to meet him. The rest is up to my own skills, timing, and luck.” She also knew the guide’s pocket number. “I’d like to purchase this watch as well.”

“Done,”
Grinning, Derrick returned his attention to the masked customer. “The affordable ones for most Regulars are all in this area. Let me know if there’s anything else that catches your eye…or you have a particular weapon or armor you’re looking for. We also offer custom orders to repeat customers if you find something you like, but want it to be re-modeled a bit to your liking. Our owner has ties to the Workshop so it isn’t a problem,” Derrick glanced to Ellia as he said the last part and coughed. “So…uh…I’ve been reading the manual for the android and I’m wondering if you can explain this part to me…”

Ellia hadn’t written the manual. His boss had. Evelyn Wicker been the one to guide its creation, so naturally he knew how to operate it and an employee asking their employer for work-related assistance made more sense, logically speaking. However, Ellia was a pushover saw no reason not to help so, after nodding politely at the masked woman, followed Derrick back to the counter where his book was.

simj26 simj26

(mentioned: The One Eyed Bandit The One Eyed Bandit )

Last edited:
Ha Naseon

Ha Naseon was floating in darkness. Nothing to feel, nothing to think about, nothing to torment himself with, no goal just out of reach to slowly wear down his body and soul. Pain began to bleed into that peaceful dark world as his mind dragged itself back towards consciousness.

"Hey Hana, can you show me how much progress you've made with that technique you were struggling with?" Her voice was cold even after his mind filled it with affection.

"Sure, but I haven't gotten much better since last time," a younger Naseon smiled up at her. He'd had a hard time even forming the baang, and it had barely sucked in any extra shinsoo before exploding weakly. But she didn't laugh at him like his brothers and sisters had when they'd found out that a Ha was trying to learn how to control shinsoo instead of focusing on the family's special enhancement techniques. They hadn't even seen how pathetic his attempts were before laughing. However poorly they thought he'd do, he was probably worse.

After thinking for a few moments, she asked, "Can I offer some advice?"

"Of course!" His reply was instant. She was the entire reason he was trying to learn shinsoo control. No matter what she said to him, if it was her voice saying it he wouldn't disagree.

A blue-white baang formed in her palm. Unlike his that had formed slowly and grown in size, hers came together fully in an instant, all of the shinsoo she needed responding to her unspoken request. "Don't worry about forming a baang right now, you'll get better at that with time and practice." Her words spoke to the comparisons he'd thought but not said, like she could see right through him. "The purpose of this technique is supposed to be defense right?"

Naseon nodded. "It's supposed to suck up a wave controller's attack, but whenever I add shinsoo to it it just blows up."

She thought some more. "It's probably because the amount of shinsoo you can control is low. Once you add more shinsoo to the baang it grows larger and surpasses your maximum. Then-"

"Boom. So I just need to keep practicing putting more shinsoo into a single baang until I can handle it?"

"That would work up to a point, but for a defensive technique you'd want it to be able to handle a big attack coming your way. If the baang could only handle your own maximum shinsoo output it'd be pretty useless against a skilled wave controller."

"You're saying it's useless!? So harsh." He'd been so upset at hearing that the technique he'd worked on for a whole year already was useless.

She realized she might have gone too far as well. "It might not be useless. I'll think about it some more and do research."

When they met again the next week, she'd really put time into figuring out a way Naseon's technique could work. "Compression," was her solution.

"Compression?" Naseon didn't know what she meant until she demonstrated on a rock, shrinking it slightly and then returning it to its normal size. The compression was amazing on its own, but remembering that many years later, what was much more amazing was that she'd probably taught herself to do that basic compression just in the week since they'd last spoken, all so she could help him with his own half-assed technique. She was so talented and amazing it was scary.

"It's not the best solution, but if you compress the baang as it absorbs shinsoo, I think you could maintain it for a little while even if it's beyond what you can control."

"Really? That's great! So if I learn how to do this compression thing I can make my technique work!"

"There's a problem with this solution though. The baang won't be stable, so it's likely to still explode on you if you keep it around long after it's absorbed a lot of shinsoo. And if it's compressed, the blast could be bigger than you realize. You might hurt yourself even if you catch the attack."

Naseon remembered the confused look she'd given him then, since his own face had lit up with excitement. "You're saying I could catch the attack and then have it blow up in their face too!? That's even better! Thank you Renari!"

[Nautilus] The technique that meant the most to Naseon. He'd come up with [Seaweed] by simply copying how she'd used shinsoo, but Nautilus had been something he'd some up with that had only been possible with her helping him. He'd had the idea, she'd guided him. It was special to him, even if now he could see the technique's many flaws and weaknesses. The ideas of a child rarely held up to the tests of time. Why was his half-waking mind choosing to replay this now? Was there even a reason?

Naseon's mind surfaced back into reality. His body hurt. Breathing hurt. When he finally opened his emerald-green eyes and squinted at the light above, there were the remnants of tears still hiding in the corners. In the immediate rush of pain and confusion at his surroundings and situation, his dreams were completely forgotten.

"Oh, you're awake?"

The nurse that had been in the room sounded more surprised than relieved. His injuries this time must be pretty bad. They felt pretty bad. "Damage, tell me," he barked for the woman to skip to what he cared about. Four ribs in splinters, two more well broken, with the organs beneath a mix of stabbed by his own ribs or crushed beneath the foot responsible for his present condition. Shit, was that all? He'd felt enough pain that he'd thought it was something actually serious. "Did you get the bone back in its place at least?"

"Yes. Surgery was done to locate the displaced shards before the bone was set and light healing applied to hold it together. Longer-term recovery will need rest and time. You should keep from moving around to much for a week at least and only minor exertion for a month at least."

"I didn't ask for your opinion, just if my ribs were back where they should be." His body complained as he pushed the blanket covering him off.

"Sir? You really shouldn't move around. You're severely injured. Frankly you shouldn't be up and talking with your injuries and the medication you were given."

"Drugs. I don't need that filthy stuff. Ack-" He tried to bend himself up from the bed but the pain from his chest and ribs forced him back down.

"Sir, please just-"

"Leave. Get out." When the nurse just stood there unsure what to do, Naseon applied shinsoo pressure. The monitors in the room cracked, and then her glasses cracked and the stupid woman fled the room, and Naseon was alone. Weeks? Months? Who did she think he was? He was a Ha, and so long as he could will his body to move, it would obey. At least that was what Naseon told himself as the pain of trying to sit up brought him to tears. His head hit the soft hospital patient pillow. This was so stupid! He needed to get up! He had to find out what had happened to the test. His team had lost, there was very little chance that had changed from when he'd lost consciousness, but he needed to find out if that meant he'd lost as well. Every time he failed a test it meant his goal moved further and further away from him. He couldn't afford to keep repeating tests.

Naseon's fingers explored his injured stomach. That was a lot of bandages. Ah, there was the main injury. He could feel the stitches where either his ribs of that girl's heel had pierced his skin. That was where he tore off the bandages and prodded the wound. Tight stitches, not much room to feel the wound itself. So he tore out the stitches and reopened the injury. Glowing green shinsoo poured into the gash as he explored his body with careful shinsoo tendrils. It felt just like the nurse had said. So long as he didn't move around too much his organs should be able to heal, and the bones just needed time to fuse back together. His lungs had been bruised... so that was why breathing hurt so much. He filled his chest cavity with shinsoo tendrils, surrounding his lung and organs in shells of stabilizing shinsoo, and wrapped his ribs tightly. Naseon tried to sit up again, and aside from a spike of pain behind his eyes and blood from the wound it felt much more doable than before. He gathered another baang of shinsoo and sealed the wound with it. If he maintained that shinsoo keeping everything in place and focused all of his body's internal shinsoo enhancement on the injured parts... Naseon figured he'd be able to fight again after a few days, go all-out after a week or so. Not bad. He'd just have to stay on good behavior.

He made sure to leave his room before that annoying nurse decided to come back. It was far from pleasant or ideal, but by wrapping [Seaweed] around his uncooperative limbs Naseon was able to shuffle slowly down the hallway. Where was he going? He had no idea, he just knew he couldn't lay in bed resting. He couldn't just sit around. Staying still always felt like wasting time, like giving up on something... something. Naseon heard a person speak in the room he'd just shuffled past. Was that Minerva's voice? He wasn't sure he wanted to see her, but he didn't know where he was going and she was someone he knew, sort of. He could at least ask her what had happened with the test.

So he knocked on the door, which had been left slightly open and swung the rest of the way with his clumsy application of brute force. It was indeed Minerva he'd heard, but she wasn't alone. Naseon's green eyes found Minerva in the bed with Illiam sitting beside her. Suddenly he didn't want to be here. "Sorry," he apologized for intruding and reached for the door with shinsoo tendrils that were far more dexterous than his own body at the moment. "Sorry for interrupting," he apologized again. He glanced at Illiam, his own apology reminding him again of his mistake yesterday - was it still yesterday or had he been out longer? - attacking the regular. "And thanks for dealing with John," he added to Illiam. "He really needed to get hit a few times." Naseon retreated from the room he shouldn't have approached in the first place.

He stopped in the hall slumped against the wall, only holding himself up with shinsoo gripping the wall like ivy. Why was everything reminding him of her right now? Getting hurt, pulling himself back together again, seeing those two... His body hurt, his mind was a mess, and his chest ached. It'd be really convenient if he could blame all of what he was feeling now on a concussion and whatever concoction of drugs those quack doctors had forced into him. Suddenly he felt exhausted. Maybe he should have listened to that annoying nurse and just stayed in bed.

Azure Sky Azure Sky Rantos Rantos

To say the least, Seo Young honestly expected to be somewhat brushed off. But to be honest, she was never expected to be somewhat brushed off to such a degree as she was. A simple puffing up of the cheeks could eb considered on Seo Young's face. She then proceeded to try and follow the young man who tried to be helpful. To say the least she was capable of keeping up, she was on her Deer Shinheuh and galloped onward, being surprisingly a lot faster than it's massive size depicted, being able to outmanuever the other individuals and was neck and neck with Jo without much issues.

"Mister Jo. I really want to help you let's be honest. I don't want someone to sacrifice their lives for no reason. Please trust me " . She said, her Deer Shinheuh being ready to fight if need be. In all honesty, she truly does care and wants those to be capable of climbing the tower without death unless it's truly forced upon them. Once she becomes a High Ranker this is her ultimate goal: That of a True Pacifist. She also hated killing beasts too but it seemed making friends with this massive Shinheuh seemed not likely.

Azure Sky Azure Sky

Collab post with Azure Sky Azure Sky

Lo Po Bia ExnorvsNyra Carciphi

Nyra stood alone in the center of the arena. As usual, there was a clear bowl cradled in her bandaged arms, and two more lay on the ground on either side of her. A basic observer floated overhead, watching Exnor since he'd entered the arena. Nyra herself hadn't bothered to meet his eyes, keeping her gaze downcast.

"How shameless," her soft voice carried through the space surprisingly well despite her not seeming to raise her volume any. "You weren't content with losing on your own, you felt the need to try to drag others down with you. Is this what being on a team means to you?"

"Now you're just speaking nonsense." Exnor facepalmed, confused at what she said. Losing on his own? What was she talking about? Was that why she called him there? Really? He was not going to get caught in her pace.

"I'm not very smart myself, so I'll try to say it right this time. Here in this arena, you lost. You lost because you're weak. That's not an insult. I'm weak, so I can't be mad at someone for being weak or losing. But to not feel even a little bit bad for losing, for being weak, when you're supposed to be a part of a team, others that are supposed to be able to rely on you..." Nyra's voice that had gotten stronger as she seemed to get angry now fell back to its normal softness. "That's disappointing."

"But I gave you a second chance," she continued without looking at Exnor. "I hate teams more than anything. I hate Illiam more than anyone. But I stayed a part of the team to pass the test. If that wasn't what you wanted, then you should have left the team. I'm angry at you for hurting my shinheuh of course, but I'm more disappointed in myself for leaving it with you in the first place. I should have known by now that small things like teams and trust are completely worthless in this tower." Here, just like the testing floor. Teams were always like this.

"What defines strength is not winning, or losing. But what you learn from it. Ji-Hyeon's win against me yesterday means nothing if she cannot defeat me a second time. Game or not, and meager damage to both parties aside, I did lose. But I also learned from it, and I will grow from it." Exnor took a short pause, still lookig at Nyra intensly with his golden eyes. "As for me being weak... There's many types of weakness. I would know. I was born in a rather pathetic family: Lo Po Bia. A family that prides itself with subjugating phyisically stronger creatures with weaker minds than them, using the special skill of an Anima. A skill that I thought you did not use. Sadly, you do, whether you realise it or not. How can I tell? Because I have it as well, although I refuse using it. That is where my attitude changed. It is easy to hide behind others and make them do the dirty work. Fundamentally, that is cowardice. That is true weakness. Not even one member of my family was up for the task once I got past their pets. Same with any other Anima." He paused again, looking around the arena.

"That is selfish, I agree. My way of thinking is also selfish, as I only care about things that are of direct interest to myself. Teams are formed out of selfishness here too. Did you not trample over other to get here? Did you not do it without a second thought because you wanted to achieve something? You can paint it pretty, like you tried hard not to hurt others, or did not kill anyone, or just tried to survive. But does that mean anything to those that fell for you to rise? Do you truly only wish to survive? You actually want to climb. Like everyone else. My only gripe is with the method." Exnor sighed and looked at Nyra again. "I assume my point of view sounds as foreign to you as yours does to me."

"No," Nyra answered without hesitation, "that's mostly right, I think. We are all selfish. Me being angry at you daring to lose is entirely selfish. You lost while on my team. If that girl hadn't been a fool, she would have chosen to take Illiam for her own team to guarantee her passing the next test. If that happened, I would have lost the test. That's why I'm angry that you dared to lose and then not care at all."

"I always care that I lose. If I didn't, I wouldn't learn from it. Bad move on my part, I agree. I have no proper defense to that one." As always he was frank. "For that, I am sorry." Exnor could have gone on about his battle junkie tendencies, but he knew it was a foreign concept to Nyra.

"Don't you think that's far too arrogant of you? Everyone climbing the tower has to do so by whatever means necessary, using every scrap of power they can manage to get their hands on. You look down on anima because they use the skills they have to climb while rejecting your own. Do you really think so highly of yourself that you can climb the whole tower while half-assing it like you are? If you have any power at all, use it to climb. If you won't, then your dream is a joke and your loses are all earned."

"Ouch. Harsh." Exnor smiled. "I know I am arrogant. But not that arrogant. I do look down on people, Anima especially, and that is indeed my own demise. I was born with a strong body, and a high affinity to Shinsoo, that many do not have. The sad reality is there are maybe less than a hundred of Regulars of the same rank that could put up a fight... out of billions. Weakness is a strong word. Stubornness and hot-headedness are more proper. Also," Exnor grinned, revealing his rather sharp teeth. "I like that challenge! Wait until we reach the top to judge wether or not my dream is a joke." As always confident in himself.

"Illiam is stronger than you," she said matter-of-factly. "Von Hare is stronger than you. John or Drake was stronger than you." She paused. "I think I'm probably stronger than you."

"Ehhhh. That's not a lot of people. And you? Or your Shinheuh? Nuance is important, you know?" Exnor was excited.

Nyra finally raised her head, but still not quite looking at Exnor. She looked around the arena. "I'm glad we talked," she said. "I agree with you about more than I thought. But no matter how much we agree, I didn't ask you to come here to talk really. And you don't seem to have a good reason for hurting my shinheuh, not that I thought you had. Don't worry, I won't kill you. If you'd killed a member of my family I might, but since you only tried, I'll only hurt you." She closed her eyes. "Hear that Yazi, Siri? Only hurt. Don't kill." The observer retreated higher into the air.

Pshhhh!

The moment Nyra finished speaking, Exnor appeared before her using his superhuman speed. His arm was very close to her forehead, ready to release a blast of Shinsoo point blank. His bloodlust was palpable. "You did not even react." Exnor looked at her with cold eyes. Exnor did not want to bully her further if he did not need to. He would blast her, though, the moment he'd see even a movement from her Shinheuh. Choice was hers.

Nyra did not even react. That was not hyperbole, the girl hadn't so much as flinched or looked up at Exnor closing the distance between them, not in response to his implied threat. Without a word from her, two massive bodies burst from the bowls on the ground. A thick golden eel that looked large enough to swallow two Exnor's on top of each other and an only slightly smaller and thinner second eel with inky black skin and sharp yellow eyes. Yazir'el and Xir'ain, the two pit eels that had been with Nyra whens he'd began her climb, and her strongest shinheuh. Without hesitation, their long whip tails ending in a sharp hook lashed out to cut Exnor into three pieces.

Exnor had just one card to play at that point. The Shinsoo in his hand dissipated as he placed what seemed to be a golden key on Nyra's forehead, the moment he chose to touch her.

[Freiheit], his technique to disrupt skills. Particularly those of Anima. It would have at least hampered her eels for a while. But ... she wasn't there. Ah, a projection. Coward to the bitter end. Why was he not surprised?

[Lux Chains]

Chains covered his entire body as he also enhanced it with Shinsoo and prepared for impact. The tails hit, shattering the chains and still leaving nice cuts on Exnor as he was sent flying for towards a wall. He felt that but...

"Heh..."

It did hurt but...

"Hehehehe..."

He was... happy?

"Gah. Hahahahahahahahahaha. I..." his eyes turned slith-shaped. "I live..." A sadistic grin on his face.

"For moments like these!" His bloodlust reached new heights. That was it. That was when he did it. He subconsciously unleashed his mental prowes. His talent since he was born. That of an Anima. The skill that he hated. But it did not work like for others. It just made Shinehuh confused. Because his emotion towards them was not that of an owner towards a pet. It was not even pity as he thought. It was hatred. Because Exnor hated Shinheuh more than anything. They reminded him of himself... just another creature trapped in a cage called the Lo Po Bia family.

The two large eels hissed in pain and shook their bodies as if trying to fight off something invisible around their bodies. The projection of Nyra, maintained by the lighthouse floating inside it, looked around, clearly unsure what was affecting her shinheuh. She glared at Exnor, but again not quite in his direction as she wasn't looking through her projection. "Yazi, Siri. Protect." The eels retreated back to the projection, clearly still struggling against whatever Exnor was doing. "Calm," she said, and the projection began to hum softly to the massive creatures.

"Eh?" Why? They were acting strangely. What happened to them? Exnor was confused. It looked like they were struggling with themselves... Exnor put his hands on his head. In horror, disgust and anger. At himself. It was him. His dreded Anima skill. He could not accept this. Not like this. His bloodlust faded.

"I can't accept winning like this." He blitzed out of the arena, at full speed. "Maybe some other time..." He was apathetic.

Whether it was hearing the nostalgic tune or Exnor leaving the arena, Nyra's eels snapped out of the odd state they'd been put in. Siri hissed in annoyance while Yazi roared in anger and tighteneed its body to rush after its fleeing prey. "Yazi, no," the real Nyra's command rippled through the shinsoo as she entered the arena from a side entrance. The golden eel hissed and stood down. Exnor was fast, probably as fast as any regular on this floor. Yazi could chase him, but by the time she caught him there'd probably be others around. Attacking Exnor in public would be problematic for all sorts of reasons. But she still very much intended to hurt Exnor for attacking a member of her family.

After gathering her shinheuh in their bowls, turning off the projection and recovering her lighthouse and observer, Nyra stood in the arena again, thinkingabout what she should do now. She could return to her "team's" room. Maybe Exnor would return there as well. Any reservations she'd had about facing Exnor directly had been evaporated the moment he'd turned and run. He'd shown himself to be prey, and predators had no reason to fear prey. Or maybe Illiam would be there instead. The thought was slightly less unwelcome than it had been just yesterday.

"Pathetic... This power is pathetic. I...am pathetic." Exnor thought to himself as he ran. Why did he run? He ran because he refused to use the power of an Anima to defeat Shinheuh. But wait... Nyra left her bowls there. There was a projection. She could not have been far. Exnor remembered something and facepalmed. "The bowls were right there damn it." He could have tried to break them if he was not so upset.

He stopped running, reaching the relaxation area. He was feeling down. Why did his Anima powers activate? If they were to activate each time he faced a Shinheuh... would his dream of rejecting everything about an Anima disappear forever? He was a natural at it, his parents explained. But so what? Who cared. Exnor didn't. Causing a bunch of feeble-minded creatures fear, confusion, or a sense of subordination was not something he felt proud of. Yet...

Running away was even more pathetic of him. So he couldn't become an anti-Anima. Not at that specific point in time at least. But he would, eventually. Until then, maybe try the path of a... Counter-Anima? He pondered. Not really exciting. But he was not strong enough to control his own powers. Not yet.

"I need more training." Exnor walked back from where he came from. If the Shinheuh where still there.

"Decide to try to pick up the pride you dropped in your rush to leave?" Nyra hadn't expected Exnor to come scurrying back immediately after fleeing like a scared fish, but she wasn't opposed to continuing. Actually, she very much wanted to settle things sooner. "Don't worry, I won't tell anyone you ran away from our date, leaving a girl alone surrounded by scary monsters."

Exnor looked at Nyra and sighed. Was she this happy that Exnor ran away? She probably thought he ran because of her Shinheuh. Now she was acting smug. "Big words from a person born with no pride to begin with." Exnor just thought out loud. He then took out a little coin and tossed it at Nyra. He wanted to check wether she was real or not.

"Attack." Black and gold blurred through the air, slicing the coin in half and continuing towards Exnor.

"I dislike this but..."

"Stay back!" Exnor mentally interferred with the Shinehuh again.

Yazi and Siri recoiled from Exnor. It seemed he was doing the same thing as earlier to interfere with her shinheuh. It was a bit different from what she'd expected, but only a bit. Nyra knew she wasn't very smart compared to other regulars, but she wasn't dumb enough to challenge a Lo Po Bia family member as an anima without a plan. "Yazi, Siri. Calm." Her command rippled through the shinsoo and her eels. Instead of fighting to overpower Exnor's influence over her shinheuh, she simply disrupted it enough to release the eels from either effect. And with the eels' release from her control and Exnor's confusion, Nyra walked forward to confront the Lo Po Bia boy herself.

Psshh!

Exnor just blitzed as he did before. Passing the Shinheuh and attempting to finger flick Nyra on the forehead. As a guy that could casually smash concrete, that would hurt regardless.

It was the real Nyra this time. She flinched at his approach and there was resistance when he made contact. Not much resistance. The girl was sent flying, her body bouncing and rolling across the ground. She didn't move when she came to a stop.

A deafening roar shook the air as both of the massive eels reacted to Nyra being hurt. The larger golden eel charged with its entire body at Exnor as the black one passed over Nyra as if checking on her before it hissed and swam to join its sister in attacking Exnor.

"Attack each other!" Another command. But they were not listening. Oh well... Damn it.

He jumped in the air and pushed himself near Nyra again with [Supernova] through jet propulsion. Followed by a quick Shinsoo blast to her general leg area. If one of the Eels would protect her, he could delay the combo attacks of the Shinheuh.

The black eel shielded the girl with its body as the second one came at Exnor from behind, its massive mouth open to swallow the boy whole. The black eel had its mouth open as well, though it wasn't in range to bite Exnor for now.

Repeat. Jump and go backwards using his [Supernova], and throwing his dagger tied to a Shinsoo chain to one of the eel's eyes. If it worked, that was fine. If it didn't, he would be in a pickle. But... he liked the struggle.

Yazir'el twisted her massive head around to chase after her nimble prey, but her sharp needle-like teeth closed on air. No, there was something solid between its teeth. The eel reared its head back and pulled on the golden chain caught between its jaws.

"Oooahhhhhhhhh!" Exnor caught something big. And was pulling his chains very strongly. Enough to pull him too. He was trying to oppose it, but his natural Great Family strength was lower than the supernatural prowes displayed by the eel. He generated another chain in his other arm and proceeded to whip the Shinheuh in the head.

Yazir'el growled as she was hit but refused to loosen her jaws. And while his sister held Exnor in place, Xir'ain lunged forward, first hitting the chains between Exnor and the golden eel with its tail to jerk the human closer and restrict its movement further, and then going in for the kill with its own needle-lined maw.

Exnor had to reluctantly disperse the chains the Shinheuh where holding, losing his beloved dagger forever. He swiftly generated chains in his free arm again, empowered his body with Shinsoo and swung both chains with great force and speed, again using them as whips.

The black eel twisted its body as it retreated from Exnor, and again the eels seemed to trade off which one was attacking. This time it was the golden one again, a wall of golden scales coming at him as it simply swung at him with the side of its long body. And already the black eel was turning back for its next go. The two creatures were coordinating even without the control of their master.

"I did fight way stronger Anima, but these eels are really something else." Exnor thought. They could damage him, but he had very few opportunities to damage them. Annoying. Very annoying. He was not strong enough to fight them in close quarter combat... He would eventually die. He should have run away...

"Oh well...I refuse!" Again Exnor covered his body with chains and braced for impact. Chains destroyed again as he was sent flying into a nearby wall. It hurt, a lot. He slowly got up, and punched himself. That woke him up.

"Umm... The test is over." A voice reverberated through the arena. It was Sasha, who appeared between the eels and Exnor. She was told by higher ups to stop the Regulars that were making cracks in the walls of the brand new arena outside of tests.

"If you wanna kill each other, how about going outside? The weather is marvelous." Sahsa took a look at the aggresive eels and smiled in a sinister way.

"Want me to eat you?" She said as her bracelet cracked, reverting her to her true, uncompressed height which slightly tore her clothes. The Shinsoo pulsed through the arena and the security cameras were acting funny from the pressure.

The two eels hissed and roared at this new creature getting between them and their prey, momentarily confused by it puffing itself up to appear larger, but not much larger. The black eel was more wary than his sister, so it was the golden eel that decided to attack Sasha, its mouth open wide enough to easily swallow her even with her added height.

"Yazi!"

The eel slamed its mouth shut and turned away at a single word from its master. Nyra had sat up, rubbing her eyes and head. The bandages there were stained from the dirt of her landing as well as darker lines where her forhead had split from Exnor's flick. She looked to Sasha once her eyes had focused, but she spoke to her eels. "Getting to do what you want is no excuse for ignoring an order. I told you to hurt, not kill." She slowly got to her feet, the black tail of Xir'ain helping her up. "And you know you aren't allowed to attack someone unless I tell you to or they attack us first." The golden eel rumbled in complaint at being admonished as it swam back to hide its massive body behind Nyra's tiny one.

Seeing the way Nyra treated her Shinheuh made Exnor think that her approach was indeed different from other Anima. But it was strange. They cared about her, but she still controlled them. Was it because their tiny brains would not handle more complex trains of thought? Not like Nyra had particularly complex trains of thought but...

"Ouch." Irrelevant at that point.

"By the way, to which of you should I send the bill for the cracks in the wall?"

"Ehhh..."

"You will share the bill? Wonderful!"

"Eh?"

"I'll pay," Nyra said, golden eyes staring coldly at Exnor. "That should be enough," she finally said to him before picking up her glass bowl and turning and walking towards the arena's exit. The two eels glared at Exnor as they followed her, shrinking down as their long bodies disappeared back inside the bowl.

Exnor sighed and took a look at the now taller Sasha.

"Excuse me."
"Yes, young Lo Po Bia?"
"Can you..." He bowed. "Teach me how to punch harder?"
"Hmmmmm..." Sasha smirked. "It will be dreadful."
"I am ready for that."
"You may die."
"Business as usual."
"Heh. What do you desire?"
Exnor smirked. "To subjugate all Anima."
"Interesting..."

Minerva and Von Hare

"Wha-?" Interrupt? What exactly? Minerva pondered for a minute. Oh no, no,no. Minerva jumped out of bed while grabbing Illiam and going to the door, a short while after Naseon closed it.

"You're wrong! You didn't interrupt anything!" Minerva exclaimed, with a faint blush in his cheeks. "Tell him, Herlaa!" Minerva pleaded desperately.

"Rom-com shenanigans already?"
"Huh?" Minerva turned around to see Von Hare, back to his "usual" rabbit-man form. He was in a sour mood as he didn't get to kill his target (Drake), but hearing that the man was crippled because of his own stupidity made Von Hare feel a bit better. Living in suffering was better than dying painfully. A fitting end for a guy like him. He also learnt from Weiss about the concept of Reverse Flow Control, after enquiring about the technique Drake used to stop him from moving. Minerva's reactions elevated his spirits a bit more. She was funny. He saw that Ha dude and the snake arm guy were there as well. He sniffed, he sensed a very common smell. The smell of confusion, coming from Naseon.

"Muuh!" Minerva puffed her cheeks. "You're all a bunch of meanies." She wanted to say more but she saw the rabbit glancing over at Naseon. "Oh, whatever, I don't care anymore."

"Did you want to ask me something, Ha Naseon?"
"If it is a confession. I suggest you reject him. Real keepers bring flowers, or carrots."
"Shut up with the highest respect, Von Hare."
"Lapin..."

Minerva awaited Naseon's reply.
OverconfidentMagi OverconfidentMagi Rantos Rantos

25Th Floor- Jungle Test

Oh, the kid was an Anima... Pretty powerful looking Shinheuh...

Jo observed the young Regular as they both ran away from the huge reptile. Ah yes, the huge reptile. For the love of Phantaminum, how could this kid be so calm in such a situation? He seemed very confident...

"Very well, I will listen to your plan."

Meanwhile, a yellow Shinsoo shot hit the reptilian Shinheuh from behind. It lost its balance temporarily, causing it to stop running. It looked around, confused. The confusion slowly turned to anger, which quickly turned into rage. It was firing Shinsoo blasts everywhere. Jo looked at the scene with a pokerface.

"I will listen to your plan really well."

Andrita Andrita

Ha Naseon

Von Hare. The rabbit. The strongest regular currently taking this floor's tests. Naseon's pride had ignored his existence this whole time.

"Confession?" Naseon's emerald eyes looked at Hare properly for the first time. "Sorry, I already have someone I've decided to love, and I won't waver on that." He was able to say that without a hint of embarrassment. He looked at Minerva's flushed face and then Illiam's... Oh, so that was how it was. "If I got the wrong impression, then I'll apologize for that." But he didn't mean it, not really. Since he'd gone so long without caring what others' impression of him was, Naseon couldn't really sympathize with Minerva being so concerned about what a stranger thought was going on between her and Illiam.

"It didn't really need to be you specifically. I was just looking for someone to ask about the test. How it went, who passed... I don't know anything that happened after I got taken out by your teammate." His body complained about keeping his arm up, so he shifted to lean his back against the wall. "Unless I missed some crazy comeback story, I assume my team lost?" He let out a defeated sigh. During the test he could fight and struggle until the very end, but it was already over, so all he could do was accept the result and try again next time.

Azure Sky Azure Sky Rantos Rantos

Floor 22 - Dinner at Sugar Palace (Part 1)
(Collab with Brendanfp Brendanfp Rantos Rantos simj26 simj26 starring Ajax, Selicity, Gladioli, Yeong-Su, and Minseo )

It was no coincidence that Ajax had chosen their dinner meeting place to be in an all-you-can-eat buffet known for its wide selection of cakes and confectionaries. No coincidence that he’d chosen a table next to the window where a colorful platter of sweets was set, presumably left out in the open for any at the table to take their pick. There were other non-sugary options in the restaurant of course. Pastas, vegetables, meats, seafood, etc. A place of variety and quantity was selected over quality since Ajax didn’t have a clue about the sorts of food the other Regulars would like. He’d simply acted on the information provided by Selcity and Sweet while, at the same time, considering what the others would want for dinner, the location, and the likelihood of a certain Princess stopping by.

Ajax checked his pocket as he set down a plate of fish for the lazy, white cat curled in the seat. Upon smelling her dinner, Selicity, the white cat, immediately sat up, jumped on the table, and started gnawing at the cooked marine life.

“I’ve already sent the coordinates, so they should be here soon. You should go ahead and pick out what you like, Miss Sweet. It’s a self-serve restaurant.”

Gladioli Sweet’s eyes lit up like many fireworks in the sky during a festival when she caught sight of the food spread out in front of her. "Whoaaaaa!" she could only exclaim in awe. She had never seen such a display of gluttony set in front of her before, much less had the opportunity to taste it. She had always been one for thrifty expenditure, and always found the fortitude to resist splurging on any more than she needed, on account of the limited space in her wallet. Unable to summon any more words in response to Ajax's invitation, she could only nod dumbly, before she set herself upon the food, foraging as much as she could fit upon a single plate.

Selicity stopped eating for a moment to lift her head and lick her lips. “Are you sure Princess Haewon will show up?”

“Based on what you two told me about her, there’s a high probability she would choose an establishment like this one to dine,”
Ajax replied to the cat. “But data is just data in the end. If people could be predicted solely based on data, the tower would be much easier to climb.”

Taking a seat at their table, Ajax simply watched as their new sharpshooter gathered as much food as she could in a single plate. Not being a picky eater was a good thing. It meant he didn’t need to worry as much when making purchases or preparing food for their new teammate. Judging from how her eyes lit up at the sight of all the edibles spread out, Ajax guessed she was sort to reserve her points for the climb. Proper practice for those who wanted to get to the top of the tower, really. If only Selcity practiced such frugality, Ajax wouldn’t be the one in charge of their collective points. Alas, financial budgeting wasn’t one of the finer points of the Cat Sidhe’s skill set when he’d first been introduced to her. Their team didn’t actually eat out much since Ajax didn’t eat and Sel was content to consume whatever food was prepared by the living ignition weapon, but, in Ajax’s mind, acquiring teammates was well worth the expenditure.

His boss, at the very least, approved.

“Oh, by the way Miss Sweet, while you’re eating, could I also bother you to keep an eye out for our target? Let me know when you see them arrive.”

"Hm? Oh yeah sure,"
Gladioli replied, muffled,as she returned to their table, carrying a veritable mountain of food in two plates, some of them already shoveled into her mouth.

***​

The light of day had long since dwindled to nothing, and the air was cooler and damper than it had been... midnight had arrived. The night sky was clear, only illuminated by smattering of luminous stars and the radiance of the full moon.

Minseo stood awkwardly before the wide wooden doors of a restaurant. To her left floated a single stark white lighthouse. Its light has been dimmed so that its light was not so blinding. On her left stood her partner, Yeong-Su. The two had come here to discuss a partnership with an odd pair they had met earlier that day, and Minseo was taking the meeting very seriously. She had even put in a bit of extra effort into her appearance, which she usually didn’t worry about. She wore a plain white shirtdress and her hair was placed up into a bun. The thought of wearing more classy shoes had crossed her mind, but in the end the comfort of her sneaker had won her over. Her eyes raised to the large neon sign above the door frame. Soft pink light from the sign invaded the surrounding darkness. Sugar Palace, the sign read.

Minseo turned to her partner, “Well, this is the place,” she sighed as she gestured at her lighthouse which displayed the same name, Sugar Palace, in a message from Ajax.

“I can appreciate his choice in restaurants at least.” Yeong-Su spoke from behind his partner. Directly behind. During their walk over, Yeong-Su had been riding Mun’s heels so to speak. His feet dragged as they were pulled by a string, made for his convenience, and tied to Mun for his comfort. As they stopped, and Mun turned, Yeong-Su finally took a step away so she wouldn’t be looking directly into his chest. “Must we really Mun?” One more time Yeong-Su made his hesitation known. As if the myriad times before this moment weren’t enough.

Minseo took a moment to dismiss her lighthouse back into invisible mode. She heard the underlying uneasiness in her partner's voice. It made sense. They were considering entering into a partnership with a strange pair of individuals they had only met hours ago. One of whom they had no information on at all. Simply put, if they went through with this, it would be a lot of change at once. Minseo furrowed her brows and averted her eyes for a moment, “Look, I understand how this must make you feel… all the change I mean. It’s gotta be hard.” Suddenly Minseo shifted her gaze from aversion to intense cold focus, “This is an opportunity that we can’t just pass up.”

Yeong-Su was worried for a moment. She was dressed to the nines, nine layers that brought Yeong-Su to wretch. Yeong-Su was worried the woman before him was someone he no longer knew. Worries crushed one and all under the weight of Mun’s cold expression, that remained still the same since the day he had met her. Yeong-Su was the first to move now, opening one of the doors as to let Mun inside. “I’ll leave the talking to you then.”

Minseo nodded in agreeance and then entered through the overly large door frame. A second later the door closed audibly behind the two as Yeong-Su entered behind her. The pair proceeded into the establishment scanning the tables for the odd duo.

***​

Meanwhile, from a rectangular table near the corner of the room, next to an open window, where a lamp from above shone...

"Sir?" Gladioli addressed Ajax, as she swallowed her mouthful of food, her eyes glancing towards the pair that were carefully weaving through the tables, noting their behavior--darting eyes, searching for familiar faces. Easy look to recognize.

“Ajax is fine,”
The living ignition was trying to forcibly wipe the fish bits that clung to Selicity’s face with a napkin. Taking care of a cat was no easy task, least of all one that was lazy, ate messily, violent, and hated taking baths. “What is it, Miss Sweet?”

"Those guys,"
Gladioli took a breather to recover from her food, then continued, "seem like they're looking for someone. Do you think that's them?"

“Yeppers, that’s them.”
Selicity nimbly dodged Ajax’s napkin. Even with the various food smells in the air, it was easy enough to Sel to catch the scent of the Icefish and Mun Minseo, whose shinsoo smelled a bit like a cross between a cod and minnow in her mind. Lifting her head to face the pair Gladioli pointed out, Selicity called. “Hey Minseo! Yeong-Su! Over here!”

Minerva and Von Hare

"We all passed, except John Wu, who was disqualified for being a C-rank in disguise. We don't know what his intentions were..." Which reminded her. "Although he continuously asked about Herlaa here and his team mate, Miss Carciphi." Minerva looked at Illiam with suspicion in her eyes. But then she sighed. "You must have angered him with your demanour." She concluded, thinking about Illiam's personality. Von Hare listened to the conversation until that point and decided to walk away. He took out a carrot and started eating it while doing so.

"Mister Hare?"
"Ehhhh, what's up doc?"
Doc?
"U-umm, I was just curious." Her eyes lit up as she took out a tablet and stylus pen. "What species are you? Where were you born in the Tower? Is your ability to transform a racial trait or a Shinsoo technique? Are all members of your race so strong?" She was like a very driven journalist.
"Oh..." Von Hare took a short pause before replying. He was uncharacteristically quiet for a while, which made Minerva concerned that she offended him somehow.
"I apologize. i didn't mean to-..."
"Moon Rabbit..." Another short break.
"My species is known as Moon Rabbit. My transformation is indeed a racial trait." Another short pause. "I am a firm believer that strength comes from potential." Implying there could be both weaker and stronger Moon Rabbits than him. He started walking away, while Minerva made notes on her tablet. He didn't reply to her last question but that was fine for-... "I am from the outside." He continued to walk to the end of the corridor.

"Eh?" Outside? Did he mean Outer Tower? Well yes, everyone was from the Outer Tower. Was he making fun of her? Outside? Outside... of the Tower?
"W-wait!" Too late. He already left.

OverconfidentMagi OverconfidentMagi Rantos Rantos

Illiam Herlaa
Tags: Azure Sky Azure Sky OverconfidentMagi OverconfidentMagi
The noise was good. The sweet static song that so many sudden entrances caused was comforting to Illiam. Figures burled and voices were heard. Though the words were hardly processed. That was fine, just as well he could tell what was happening from the tone and texture of each word that crossed his ear. Minerva was flustered, and as her warm hand grabbed to hold Illiam's he had no doubt her face must have been just as warm and all the redder.

Then Hare, Illiam felt the sour tinge in his voice. Felt it run up and down his spine with every word, as his words reminded his body of every dreadful sensation experienced in the last few hours. And as the sour shocks worked their way up his spine, hitting his brain, Illiam let them fade naturally, passively. His voice reminded Illiam of the hunt, failed or otherwise, painful or otherwise, it was another welcome distraction.

Naseon, the first contact. And as Minerva dragged Illiam out of the room, as she and Hare talked, it was Naseon's face Illiam's eyes drifted to. It was his face that caused the hunger in his stomach to grow. Though their interactions were brief, the all too deserved pain he inflicted only hours ago was something Illiam could fall in love with. Even if it was a retrospective love. Should they climb, and should they meet, Illiam wondered if his eyes would be able to look away.

All three of them, their chatter filled Illiam's head, and for a moment, it was nice to forget. Their voices pushed back the voices of those who existed as nothing more than an ambiguous goal in his mind. That which with equal probability could still exist within the Tower, or be nothing more than a memory. No. Stop. Thoughts like that are best left obscured, weighed down until they can no longer rise by the chatter of those that for now, remained before him.

It was when Minerva let go of Illiam's hand that the words faded into something more than white noise. Eager pen strokes taking note of the Moon Rabbit named Hare. Though not much else came from their talk as the rabbit left soon after. Illiam was disappointed too, he shared Minerva's curiosity. But, one thing for certain, "Guess that makes him an Irregular too. Glad to have that confirmed." He spoke aloud, for both Minerva and Naseon's sake.

Sasha and Ji-hyeon
There were a few things to be done before Sasha could start training with Exnor. For one, she needed to fix her bracelet. Or, to be more precise, have a certain someone fix it. She just needed to thread lightly. As long as no one recognized her "decompressed" self, it was all fine and dandy. Better if she would not be seen at all. Exnor and Nyra did see her, but seeing their lack of reaction whatsoever, and the rather dark arena, she felt it was safe.

>>Message: I need a new bracelet. Thank you.

"And sent. Ok, now, I just need to try and bypass everybody in the area."

"Bypass who now?" Han Ji-hyeon rounded around the corner, her functioning arm scratching irritably on her cast. Chalk it up to luck, having returned from her shopping trip to bump into this situation.

Damn it...
"Oh, hello Han Ji-Hyeon. How's your arm?" Sasha tried to be jovial, and used her usual "cute" tone, but her now matured voice and increased height really made it wierd.

Ok, that's not going to work.

A strange expression flickered across Ji-hyeon's face, as she glanced at Sasha, something like recognition, but that look disappeared just as quickly as it had appeared. "You're that assistant," was all she remarked, almost as if she was voluntarily ignoring the obvious changes to the lady's appearance.

"Ah, yes I am. Sasha here." She smiled. At least the Regular didn't know who she was. Thank Enryu that youngsters these days have no interest in the history of the old days, was what she wanted to believe, but the millenia thaught her to be cautious. Exnor was a wild-card himself, but he had no attachment to the Lo Po Bia, or Zahard, so he was relatively safe, she thought.

"'Sasha', huh?" Ji-hyeon looked amused. "Well, 'Sasha', I probably should be going." Ji-hyeon turned halfway, then paused. Something shifted in her expression, like she was coming to another conclusion. "Y'know something, 'Sasha'?" She turned back around. "You're just the person I'm looking for."

She rubbed her cast again, her expression unreadable. "I need to get stronger," she spoke calmly. "And you're as strong as they come. Or so the stories say, anyway."

"Ehhh, I can help you, sure, but stories? Hehe, am I famous?" she still played dumb.

Ji-hyeon scoffed with an almost amused grin. "Who knows?" Her expression quickly darkened, and she turned her focus to her broken arm. "I feel as if I've lost something climbing this Tower. I need to find it again. Please," she raised her solemn gaze to meet Sasha's eyes, "I need to get stronger. I have to get stronger." She dropped to one knee, bowing her head in respect. "I'm asking you this- please train me! I'll endure anything and everything you can throw at me, I swear it on my name."

It seemed she misunderstood Ji-Hyeon. The woman was a prideful warrior. Strong enough to bow and beg for it. It took guts to admit one's limits. She would have told her there was no need to bow, but that would have been insulting in this case. "You're the second who asked." She said, giving up on the cute tone, her voice devoid of any perceivable emotion. She did however have sympathy for her.

Almost like my young self...

"Very well. You and Lo Po Bia Exnor better be prepared. It will be hellish." Two students in one go. Two people that would help shape a better Tower. At least she hoped.

"By the way," She almost forgot to ask. "What is your desire?"

A look of surprise, then one of deep thought crossed Han Ji-hyeon's face. A second of hesitation passed, before she answered, her tone measured and calm.

"Power."

Sasha, real name Akasha Zahard, smirked.

We're more similar than I thought.

collab with Azure Sky Azure Sky

Ha Naseon

"Stronger." Stronger. "Stronger." Stronger. "It needs to be stronger than this." Much Stronger.

The shinsoo pressure threatened to crush his bones and body, but he'd reinforced himself outside and inside. The first thing to give out was the ground beneath him. Solid stone cracked beneath the force of too much shinsoo pressing down on the boy, but it wasn't enough. The green baang held in his palm struggled to keep its form within the pressure that should have snuffed it out.

[Doldrums] to trap the shinsoo and build up pressure over time. [Nautilus] to form a baang to suck up the shinsoo. And [Seaweed]... The baang's shape became unstable and it flickered before winking out, not even able to explode within the immense pressure. "Again." [Nautilus] The tiny baang reformed. [Seaweed] It shifted and broke apart. "Again." [Nautilus] The baang reformed. [Seaweed] It began to change shape and died again. "Again."

The floor was more cracks than solid stone to stand upon.

Naseon's open palm swished through the shinsoo, followed by a twisting kick to an imagined head as he shifted his weight onto his hands, then his whole body spun to knock his invisible opponent off their feet. He grabbed their body and slammed them down against the stone, hard. Hard enough to destroy a person's body. The stone had broken again where he'd punched it.

Each day he came to train, each time the boy used every drop of his seemingly bottomless strength to force his body to obey under the crushing weight of so much shinsoo, the stone was broken apart and crushed down further.

Breathe. [Doldrums] The shinsoo pressure built up. [Nautilus] The baang formed. Breathe. He held his hand out. [Seaweed] The baang rippled and warped, becoming teardrop-shaped as the shinsoo tried to reach out from the condensed sphere. It was being pulled back into itself as quickly as he could shape it. It wasn't enough. The baang disappeared. He couldn't control the shinsoo to make it move how he wanted it to.

He thought of Renari, the girl that had taught him to control shinsoo as much as he could now. If she was here she'd have figured out a solution and even improved his technique. She was smart like that. Not for the first time in recent months, his thoughts jumped to Minerva, the girl he'd fought on the 20th floor. He hadn't had many opportunities to fight with a wave controller, but he'd enjoyed fighting her. She had been a skilled wave controller. "I should have asked," he said for not the first time.

After their fight, he'd planned on beating Minerva in the next test and forcing her to agree to teach him wave controller stuff in exchange for him to knocking her out of the test. But due to his own weakness he'd lost to some trash mobs before she'd shown up. It sucked, but what happened couldn't be changed. Can't go backwards, so forwards is all he'd care about. In the hospital he'd swallowed his pride enough to just ask for her help directly, but then Illiam had been there. Asking for a girl's help was one thing, but doing so in front of another guy was a bit much. That wasn't even taking into account the situation Illiam being there with Minerva implied.

"Illiam," Naseon said the guy's name. Irregular. Illiam and Von Hare. Two irregulars. Two monsters. Two bringers of chaos to the tower. Naseon hadn't told anyone else about them, too concerned with what this meant for himself to care about anything external to his goals. "I will get you back, Renari." The girl he loved, taken away from him to be a princess, sent up the tower. He'd boldly declared that he'd do whatever it took to take her back, going so far to punch the tower's king himself. That sounded silly even to himself. But in the wake of chaos caused by the reveal of not one but two irregulars? A disappearing princess might not be noticed for a long time, if at all. Or he could trade information about the irregulars to get Renari back. It didn't seem so silly if he had ideas more solid than walking up to the king and punching him in the face. And if the irregulars didn't act how he needed, well Naseon had seen that there was something there between Illiam and Minerva. If it came down to it, he could use her to control Illiam. He would get Renari back, "No matter what it takes."

Breathe. [Nautilus] The baang reformed. Breathe. He closed his fingers around it. [Seaweed] He could feel the shinsoo become unstable. His fist shot out to punch the air. He could feel the shinsoo shift forward. He jumped back and opened his hand. It was like his fist held a broken egg, as he pulled back the loose shinsoo streamed out from between his fingers. As soon as he could think to celebrate this small victory, the trail of shinsoo tendrils were sucked back into the baang. But right now that was enough. Naseon smirked at the fake sky above. Now that he could see what he needed to do, all that was left was the easy part: keep working at it until he died.

Nyra Carciphi25th Floor - Jungle Test​

Nyra hummed a nostalgic tune as she strolled happily among trees that towered far above her covered head. Taking a walk through a jungle full of shinheuh might have been a terrifying test to most regulars, but in this place Nyra was more at peace than she'd been in a long time. It was a little bright, even here in the shade of the canopy, but Nyra had gotten used to bright places since coming into the inner tower.

Her main complaint was the Ranker who was overseeing this test. "Find the exit at the other end of the wide arena, or defeat the main Shinheuh that resides within," the sheep had said. She'd been excited to see this shinheuh at first, hopeful that she'd be able to rescue it from this terrible situation of being forced to fight regulars, but that idea had soured once she'd entered the jungle arena. The shinsoo inside was filled with that ranker's smell. This entire place was a tank, most likely just for that main shinheuh, and the ranker was the anima controlling it. Nyra hated it, but she didn't see any way she could rescue this shinheuh. She wasn't strong enough to overpower a ranker's control. If she used everything she had, maybe she'd be able to disrupt the connection for a second, but what good would that do. She'd fail the test and the ranker would retake control like nothing'd happened. Worse, she'd probably have to fight back against the shinheuh then, and that would mean either her or it would get badly hurt. She could free the shinheuh by fighting and killing it, but the kinds of people that saw freedom in death were the kinds of people Nyra hated most of all. No matter how bad a situation, living with uncertainty was always better than certain death. So she couldn't free the shinheuh and didn't want to kill it. Her only choice then was to avoid it and find the exit. One day, when she was stronger, she'd come back and free this creature if it was still alive, along with the many others like it she'd been forced to leave behind to continue climbing. But she wasn't that strong yet.

A loud roar came from through the trees. Nyra froze, hands on the glass sphere containing her family members, but no matter how long she waited the monster responsible for the sound never appeared. Something was strange. She continued forward, ears raised to search out the sound when it came again, which it did. Something was definitely strange. From the sound of that roar, Yazi and Siri should be trying to come out to protect her, but they were calm inside their bowl. In that case, the sound must not be a threat. Nyra confidently walked towards the source of the sound, ignoring it even when it came again.

She couldn't find the roar's owner until it coming from just behind her made her jump and cry out in surprise. It was just a lizard. Not even a large lizard, barely much bigger than a fist, covered in round growths. It screamed at her when she stepped closer, but it was her own voice. It was copying when she'd just yelled. "That's a fun trick," she spoke to the lizard with a smile. "But you don't need to be afraid of me, I'm not your predator." "-r predat" Nyra laughed as her voice came out of the growths on the lizard's back. It was strange to hear herself speaking. She didn't sound quite how she thought she did. The lizard copied her laugh as well.
Grey Ear lizard
devil_s_urn_mimic_by_rowkey_daphfph-fullview.png
"I'll get you out of this cage," she told the lizard as she pulled a large jellyfish out of its bowl. The lizard let out another roar in fright, this one more a cry for help than a threat. Taking control of her jellyfish, Nyra controlled its tentacles to quickly grab and paralyze the lizard. The tentacles that disturbed shinsoo on contact should be enough to break the influence of the shinsoo filling this massive tank. The disappearance of something this small would hopefully be able to escape notice by the ranker, at least that was what Nyra hoped. The lizard had stopped moving, so Nyra shoved it inside one of her empty bowls. She grabbed her jellyfish by its soft body and showed it back away into its bowl as well, failing to notice its tentacles were still reaching for something else.

Nyra was smiling. Any day she was able to add a new member to her family was a good day. She was smiling until something roared nearby. It was the exact same roar that had come from the small lizard, so Nyra didn't react at first, not until she felt the eels stir inside their bowl. This time the roar was from something dangerous, probably the creature the little lizard had stolen the voice of. That last roar must have called it here. Nyra hid behind a tree as the roar's real owner came closer. Trees were knocked aside like they weren't even there and the ground shook, and finally the massive beast came into view. This had to be the main shinheuh the ranker had warned about. If any regular could beat it they passed the test instantly. Nyra had never feared a shinheuh, even when her life was in danger, and now was not the exception. Faced with this awesome monster's size and strength, she was relieved. It would fight, it would be hurt, but surely there wasn't any regular on this floor that could kill it. She was relieved that this shinheuh at least would probably be fine for however long it took her to become strong enough to scare off that sheep and free this creature.

While the monster searched the area, Nyra slowly reached down for a rock and threw it behind its back. When the shinheuh turned away, she used [Black Fish] to hide herself in the uneven shadows of the canopy and ran away as fast as her thin legs would carry her.

The Horned Tyrant's massive head whipped around to see the girl's fleeing back. Had it heard her, or had the ranker above told it she was there? There was no way of knowing. It roared and charged a shinsoo blast to take out the girl. The girl's body was hard to see, surrounded by darkness that seemed to cling to her and make her blurry when she ran through shadowy spots. So the monster chose to focus on the one part of her it could make out, a strange red marking on her back. The red thing seemed to be looking back at it. The thing and the girl were gone. The Tyrant roared and shook its head from side to side to find her again. There she was, running away same as before. The shinheuh obliterated her completely with a shinsoo blast. It turned to find more prey, and the girl was there too, running away the same as before but now in the complete opposite direction. The Tyrant roared and destroyed her with another blast of shinsoo. It didn't understand what was happening. Everywhere it turned there was the girl running away. The monster continued its rampage chasing after and destroying the ghost of a running girl until the hallucination faded from its eyes, by which point Nyra had fled far away and likely already found the exit to pass this test.

Eyecatcher
c5fa55af8ec0fdb2f8bc08d9e83c41c6.jpg
The red lizard clinging to her back had saved her life by pure chance. It had been hunting that lizard Nyra had taken for herself and had only jumped onto her back to continue pursuing its meal. Nyra would continue to be oblivious to her passenger until much later, when another regular finally pointed it out to her, and she would only make the connection to where it had come from after seeing how stubbornly it wished to eat the mimic lizard. She'd need to be careful about not letting both of these troublesome lizards out at the same time until she could convince them to get along.

Ha Naseon25th Floor - Jungle Test​

"That's a big fucking lizard," Naseon said rather casually as he watched the monster wipe out yet another unlucky regular. "Not even a body left behind, sheesh."

With a body like that, he'd expect the Horned Tyrant to be a brute. But instead of using its namesake horns to gore and crush the regulars it caught, the monster instead used powerful shinsoo blasts from between those horns. A brute that chose to use shinsoo. He could almost relate. But that blast was concerning. He hadn't seen any regular survive being hit, but he also hadn't seen any bodies. Either the blast vaporized them completely, or it was being used as a cover to remove hit regulars from the test without killing them. He'd like to assume the second, but the ranker in charge of this test seemed like a sick fuck that probably didn't care about regulars dying at all. Naseon didn't care about the other regulars either, but coming from a ranker meant to oversee the tests and with the power to decide if regulars lived or died, that attitude pissed him off. "Fine then, since I can't reach you I'll just have to break your toy to show you that us regulars aren't just worth looking down on." Naseon jumped down from the tree he'd been watching from, falling a hundred feet and landing easily.

"Hey dumb-ass lizard!"

At Naseon's taunt, the Horned Tyrant turned and fired off a shinsoo blast in his direction as carelessly as if squishing a bug. The blast erased where Naseon had been along with the tree he'd jumped down from, leaving no trace of the cocky regular. The massive tree fell, and the Tyrant snorted before moving on to wiping out the next regular to enter its sight.

Naseon breathed heavy after coming so close to instant death. He'd pulled himself back up the tree using the Seaweed he'd attached before jumping down, but that blast had come faster than he'd expected. The monster could learn to hold back against smaller prey dammit! He'd barely been able to pull himself back in time. Naseon's body shook as the tree he clung to hit the ground. And now he had a weapon. "Thank you Mr. Dumb-ass Lizard," he smirked as his shinsoo tendrils spread around the trunk like ivy.

"Hey dumb-ass lizard!"

The Horned Tyrant's head turned just in time to catch an entire tree with the side of its face. The beast lost its balance and toppled.

"Suck on that!" Naseon pulled himself to stand on top of the tree lying on top of the fallen lizard. "Don't ever ignore-" He couldn't finish his taunting as the lizard tossed off the tree and Naseon with a shake of its powerful neck. The tree crashed to the ground a short distance away as Naseon and the oversize lizard glared at each other. "Anyone ever tell you you have pretty eyes?" The Tyrant charged up a shinsoo blast. [Nautilus] Naseon formed a baang in response, his knees bent in anticipation.

All at once the Tyrant fired and Naseon jumped. The ground cracked and shattered from the force of the jump before being completely obliterated by the lizard's shinsoo. But the blast was strange. Instead of continuing straight for a ways, its path of destruction seemed to bend slightly in the same direction the boy had jumped. And before the lizard could fire off a second shot, Naseon grabbed its horn and punched the side of its face with all of his own strength and the shinsoo he'd siphoned from its own attack. The sound was like a cannon, and the massive creature actually took a step back to catch its footing.

It wasn't enough. Hitting the beast with the tree had gotten more of a reaction than that punch. Did that ranker really expect any regulars to be able to deal with something that could take a punch to the face from a Ha's fist? It was unreasonable.

Renari could do it.

Naseon grinned and tightened his gloves. That's right. She wouldn't slow down for something this small, so he couldn't afford to either.

His solo battle against the massive lizard only lasted a few minutes, but the number of times Naseon came within inches of dying during those minutes easily eclipsed the rest of his time climbing until now. Each and every blast of shinsoo from the monster meant instant death. No matter how many times he landed a hit on its massive body, it was too large and too strong to bring down. He needed an opening to land another big hit. He still had that tree with shinsoo tendrils connecting his hand to it - he'd used that to reposition and avoid multiple shinsoo blasts already - but the monster wasn't giving him time to stop moving, let alone plan a good counterattack.

"Oh wow, there really is someone fighting this big shinheuh," a light voice from above reached Naseon's ears. He looked up and there was a boy that looked younger then him, just sitting high up in the air like it was nothing, balanced on the long handle of a shiny metal ax. "Are you okay down there?"

Naseon would have answered something rude, but the Horned Tyrant had seen the floating boy as well. It charged another deadly shinsoo blast and raised its head. The stupid kid was going to die! The ground beneath Naseon exploded as he closed the distance between himself and the Tyrant. His fist slammed into the beast's leg with enough force that normally he'd have expected the whole thing to be blown to bits, but he knew by now that this monster was made of more solid stuff than that. Still, it was enough to hurt it. The Tyrant's leg gave and it fell. The shinsoo blast burned through the air but missed the floating boy.

Naseon took a moment to catch his breath before yelling at the kid. "What the hell is wrong with you!? Do you have a death wish or something?"

The boy shifted in the air so he was hanging down from the ax handle with his legs hooked around it. "Not really, no. I just wanted to check if you needed help. Taking on something that big alone like you are... no offense, but it seems kind of reckless."

"Shut up. I can handle this much!"

"Hmm... okay," the boy was still upside-down. "Then I'll help because I want to, not because you need help." The boy smiled and unhooked his legs from the ax, dropping to the ground lightly next to Naseon. "Sorri," the boy said with a smile. He held out his hand for a handshake.

"Sorry? Wait, this isn't really the time for this!" Naseon ignored the idiot kid's hand because the Tyrant was already back on its feet after being knocked down, and it did not look happy at the two regulars in its sights. It was already charging up another deadly blast of shinsoo. "Move!" Naseon grabbed the boy's hand to throw him aside, but he found surprising resistance. The boy's body felt like it was anchored in place. He didn't understand it, but they were both going to die right now if they didn't move! The monster's shinsoo blast fired - directly into the ground in front of it as the ax the boy had left floating overhead dropped down onto the Horned Tyrant's horn, somehow with enough force to drive the thing's face into the ground. The blast of shinsoo caused an eruption of dirt to fall on the two regulars' heads.

Naseon didn't know how to react to the strange sight, so he just froze, and the other boy took this as an opportunity to shake the hand that had tried to toss him aside. "Nice to meet you," the boy said with a wide smile. "My name's Sorri."

He just stared at the strange child. He almost laughed. Fine, the kid had won this round. So he returned the handshake. "Naseon. Ha Naseon."

Last edited:
Floor 22 - Dinner at Sugar Palace (Part 2)

(Collab starring QuirkyAngel QuirkyAngel as Ajax & Selicity, Brendanfp Brendanfp as Mun Minseo & Haewon, Rantos Rantos as Yeong-Su, and simj26 simj26 as Gladioli Sweet)

Minseo and Yeong-Su slowly made their way in between the table rows. The restaurant was packed with patrons of all shapes and sizes. The lighting was dim and the air was thick with the scents of various foods. Then out of the crowd, a voice beckoned them.

“Hey, Minseo! Yeong-Su! Over here!”

The pair turned towards the voice. It was the cat, Selcity. The two looked at each other for a moment and then shuffled over to where their company was seated. At the table sat Ajax, Selcity, and another female the two had yet to meet.

“Good evening everyone…” Minseo said dryly as she took her seat. Yeong-Su only scowled at the table before taking a seat next to his partner.

“Hello!”

“Good evening,”
Ajax would’ve raised an eyebrow at Yeong-Su’s scowl if he could. Alas, the mask that took the place of the living ignition weapon’s face remained ever-unchanging. He gestured towards Gladioli. “I don’t believe you two have met her yet. This is the sharpshooter and secondary light-bearer for our team, Gladioli Sweet, though I hear she also specializes in reconnaissance and other scout work.”

"Sir!"
Sweet shot up from her seat, possibly out of habit, in perfect attention. She then bowed down low to both of them. "It's a pleasure to meet you! I'll do my best!" She straightened up, and her eyes darted across them for just one moment, taking in their appearance, gait, behavior. She gave a shudder, then sat back down, and, in the true form of a rank and file soldier, began to shovel food into her mouth, trying to make herself less important and more invisible on the table.

Minseo looked up at the pink-haired girl they called Sweet. The girl moved in a strange almost militaristic fashion and carried a rifle on her back. It was rare to see one of those in the tower. She was also very cute… Minseo couldn’t help but feel a bit insecure about her own appearance.

“Oh… a fellow Lightbearer. Well nice to meet you Sweet, you can call me Mun” she said in a monotone.

Selicity continued to lick at the fishbones on her dish while Gladioli and Minseo introduced themselves to each other. It wasn’t hard for her to tell that Gladioli was a little tense. Minseo seemed a little nervous as well. In fact, the air of the entire table was rift with a bit of tension despite Gladioli stuffing herself with food as if to try and not be noticed. None of this made any sense to Selicity who couldn’t understand why dinner, or the whole making teams thing, was so difficult. From her point of view, Ajax was thinking too hard--making things too complicated. Either the other party liked them or they didn’t. Well… she got a nice meal out of it so Selcity didn’t really mind.

“So do you guys want to be friends or don’t you?” The cat asked bluntly.

In her mind, the other pair already had plenty of time to think about it. Ajax already said all that needed to be said at the arena so the sooner they could get all the business talk over with, the sooner they could just enjoy their food.

“Also, if you’ve got something you want to say, Yeong-Su, you should say it. Don’t just act like a mouse and scowl in the background.”

Ajax sighed at Selicity’s lack of patience and passed the other pair some plates. “I’ll answer any questions you two might have about the proposal to the best of my ability.”

Minseo’s eyes darted from Sweet to the small white feline. She took a moment to consider Selcity’s question. What a strange thing to say. Friendship? What did climbing the cutthroat tower have to do with friendship? Not that she didn’t want to be friends, but that sort of thing was foreign to her. Minseo furrowed her brows visibly puzzled. “I’m not sure If I quite understand what you--” she began before being cut off abruptly.

"I think," Sweet spoke up suddenly, "I think we got off the wrong foot here. Ma'am, sir," she addressed both Selicity and Ajax, apparently still unused to using their names, "I would think that our guests would rather fill their plates and their stomachs first before we get to the serious talk." She turned to Minseo and Yeong-Su, undaunted by Yeong-Su's glare. "Ain't that, right? Try the eel, it's really good!"

Selicity rolled her eyes but salivated at the mention of eels, her golden-eyed gaze drifting to where the cooked eels were set on the buffet table.

Minseo resisted the urge to gag upon hearing Sweet’s recommendation. She swallowed before speaking, “Actually, I’m not the biggest fan of seafood, the smell is a bit off-putting,” the freckled girl tried her best not to come off as rude. “I am hungry though… perhaps we can discuss business after dinner,” she proposed with an awkward pursed-lip smile aimed at the cat. “Um… I don’t have the biggest sweet tooth, but I did see some really good pumpkin pie when we walked through the buffet area.” Minseo stood up, “I’ll go grab some,” she quickly glanced at her partner, “Hey do you want--” she stopped short. He obviously wasn’t listening to her. His gaze was fixated on a buffet table in the distance. It seemed that several chefs were bringing out a fairly large cake and setting it in the buffet area. Minseo knew Yeong-Su had quite the sweet-tooth… she wondered if he wanted a piece of the cake.

“Yeong-Su?” she repeated snapping this time, waiting for his response.

“Fucking finally”

Haewon approached the pastry chefs at full speed. She had been at the Sweet Palace for roughly an hour now, waiting patiently at her table for this very moment. The King’s Crown was a special cake that the Sweet Palace prepared once every month. The cake was prepared with the finest ingredients and its recipe was a trade secret passed down for centuries. The fiery spirited princess screeched to a halt as she stood before all eighteen inches of perfectly moist pastry, covered in a coat of the finest vanilla frosting, and adorned with all manner of exotic fruits. The cake was simple in its elegance. It had to be hers.

“The whole thing! I want the whole thing!” she announced to the nearest pastry chef who had carried the cake into the buffet area.

The man was large and round. A brown handlebar mustache curled above his lip. The chef looked down at the small girl with squinted eyes. He hadn’t recognized her at first. She was wearing a t-shirt and jeans as opposed to that ridiculously loud dress he had seen on the television, but there was mistaking that wild red hair, she was the Princess who had defeated that Mad Dog Volk earlier today. The man began to feel hot under the collar… he couldn’t just give her the entire cake, but what would she do if he didn’t. Damn it, they didn’t pay him enough to handle situations like this. He glanced around to his fellow chefs with a look of befuddlement on his face. Another chef who had watched the scene unfold cleared his throat, before speaking.

“The whole thing? Mam, we can’t just give you the entire cake…” he said paired with some nervous laughter.

Unacceptable, Haewon thought to herself, “How much! I’ll buy it, Name your price!” she blurted almost shouting now. A fire of passion-filled her eyes. She was determined to have that cake.

“Price?! No mam we can’t sell you the cake either this is a buffet!” the chef countered.

The round chef watched as his colleague began to argue with the Princess over why they wouldn’t be able to simply give her the entire cake. Various patrons in the Sweet Palace now began to turn towards the commotion.

Yeong-Su moved without a word. His joints that had long since gotten used to the stillness of sitting with a scowl popped with his sudden and slow movement. His face was the last thing to move, or rather his expression. Shifting from the default of his scowl to something a bit more friendly. A blank face of total neutrality. His eyes trained on the commotion by the cake, he spoke. “Found the target. I’m moving in.”

Unbeknownst to Yeong Su, invisible lighthouses followed him as he began to move.

The walk was, as walks are, rather uneventful. Though, Yeong-Su wasn’t a fan of how when he moved closer the sound got louder. Her voice was greater than any Shinsoo pressure and just as suffocating. But he would only have to endure it for a moment longer. The goal was in sight, the only thing Yeonu-Su really wanted here.

His gaze was glazed over by the magnificence of the King’s Crown. Consumed by the cake completely. Yeong-Su’s icy reflection showed in the plate he grabbed. The cake’s reflection showed in the knife he used it to cut a slice from the cake. The knife cut clean, and Yeong-Su cut slowly. Carefully placing the skinny piece onto his plate before going for another. Then, another after that. He showed no signs of stopping soon.

***​

“Well… there he goes,” Selicity whispered to Ajax, perched contently on the living ignition weapon’s shoulder while Yeong Su went to cut himself a cake despite all the commotion. How anyone could choose cake over seafood was beyond Sel, but she’d met all sorts of weirdos while climbing the tower so it didn’t really bother her as much anymore. One such weirdo, of course, was the person whose shoulder she rested on top of. He didn’t even eat. “And there’s our other target. Should I go with him? Yeong-Su is picking a fight with her, right?”

“Let’s see how he handles himself first.”

“Princess Haewon seems a little spoiled. I mean, a whole cake to herself? Even Murin isn't that selfish.”

“And you aren’t?”

Ajax fed Selicity the piece of chicken she’d been eyeing on his plate. He wasn’t eating it anyway. “She is a princess and all-you-can-eat buffets generally operate on a first come first serve basis. While it’s not proper etiquette, it’s not all that strange for the chefs to cater to a royal’s whims--especially if she’s got the points to bribe them. What do you think, Miss Sweet? Miss Minseo?”

"Uhhhh…"
Sweet couldn't answer. Again, she was reminded that she was extremely outside her element here. She didn't even know if this was supposed to be normal. Ajax's words seemed to imply that it was. "I think that the cake isn't exactly healthy or filling enough to be prized over much better choices." Like the grilled eel, she refrained from repeating. It was a rarity and expensive delicacy. Or perhaps being a Princess naturally entitled them to such frivolities? Ah, to live rich. What a dream. Sweet scooped another spoonful of rice and shoved it into her mouth.

“Yeah! Gladioli gets it!” Selicity cheered, hopping off Ajax’s shoulder to land deftly on Gladioli’s, whose viewpoints she agreed with more. She took a sniff of the rice. “Really though, this could all be solved if the princess could be convinced to share. That way Yeong-Su gets a cake and Haewon does too.”

“If only things were so simple,”
Ajax set the fork with the stabbed chicken piece down. “Here in the tower, its power that determines who gets what in life, be it trivial or otherwise. If a Ranker walks in here they could probably walk away with the entire cake and no one here would be able to stop them. Why share what you can just take by force, after all.”

Sweet chewed her food, deep in thought. That wasn't what she meant, exactly. Desserts and cake were loaded with sugar, enough to give a burst of energy if consumed properly. However, they lacked carbohydrates and or protein, making them ill-advised for proper eating. Taken by force or not, the cake was the least reasonable choice if someone wanted something to eat. That was her opinion anyway. Though, the dog-eat-dog nature of the Tower fascinated her. Scavengers and survivors like her could probably still eke out a living sticking to apex predators like these Princesses, or people like them. She continued to consume her food, watching the scene at the dessert table unfold.

“Bleh! Selicity stuck her tongue out at Ajax. “Why do you always have to sound so pessimistic? It’s ruining my appetite.”

“The tower is what it is,
Ajax shrugged. “You’re a scout, Miss Selicity. Observation and ability assessment of the opponent is one of the duties of your position. Can you tell by looking at them which has a higher likelihood of winning should a fight for the cake break out?”

Selicity’s eyes darted over to the two Regulars in question. “Uhhh, I’d guess it’d be Haewon. Not only is she stronger, but from what I saw at the arena her flames are probably strong enough to melt Yeong-Su’s ice.”

“Exactly,”
Ajax sounded pleased by Selicity’s conclusion.

“Princess Haewon would have the advantage both physically and elementally should they battle. The one advantage Yeong Su does have are the allies he has in the restaurant that the princess isn’t aware of. Ones that may very well give him an edge when it comes to victory. That’s why teams are formed--to take down stronger opponents and beat otherwise insurmountable challenges.”

A cyan lighthouse became visible as Ajax reached in and pulled out a plate of pumpkin pie, which he retrieved while he’d been talking, and slid it to Minseo. “But you’re already aware of that, Miss Minseo. So I can only guess that the barrier in our teams forming an alliance is a matter of trust. Am I correct in that assumption?”

Minseo begrudgingly took her eyes off of Yeong-Su for a moment and shifted her gaze to Ajax. She had been listening to his banter with Selicity, but now the focus was on her, “Trust among other things,” she responded as her hand received the plate of pumpkin pie. “Thanks… also, I’d prefer it if you called me Mun,” she cooly commented as she reaffixed her eyes on Yeong-Su.

“Very well, Miss Mun, Ajax nodded, his gaze following Mun’s. Not even Selicity had managed to get him to remove the ‘Miss’ part. “Care to elaborate on what these other things are? While you’re eating, of course. Wouldn’t want the food to grow cold.”

Minseo still standing near the dinner table watched as Yeong-Su walked towards the cake and passed a small girl… a small girl who seemed very determined to have the cake for herself. Yeong-Su causally cut into the King’s Crown and seconds later the girl’s fists erupted into bright flames. That must be Princess Haewon, she thought to herself. It seemed her partner had gotten himself into quite a dangerous situation. Minseo knew if she didn’t give him the space to learn from these situations he’d never grow into his own person. She couldn’t coddle him all the way up the tower and so she begrudgingly held herself back. At this point, she realized that Ajax was still talking to her. Minseo refocused on the conversation.

“Well, it seems you're eager to hear my…” Minseo paused, “Our response,” she corrected herself with a smile.

“We are.”

“Ajax, your offer is frankly incredible… vast wealth, connections to a ranker, powerful allies… I would be stupid to pass all that up, and yet I have to decline.”

Minseo looked down at the pastry on her plate. It was beautiful for a humble piece of pumpkin pie. Its crust was golden brown and slightly flaky, the pumpkin filling was a vibrant orange puree that gave off the pleasant aroma of pumpkin essence. Brown sugar and roasted nuts garnish the plate, it seemed more like a work of art than something to be consumed. The freckled girl took a forkful and shoved it into her mouth, before looking back at Ajax.

“Yeong-Su,” she said and directed her attention to her partner while still talking to Ajax, “he’s a rather peculiar guy. He doesn’t do well with the concept of transition. It’s almost as if the process of change wears at his soul. I know he would agree to ally with you here and now if I asked him, he’d do it for my sake, but I also know that it would be very painful for him. It’s all too much and too sudden.”

The flavor of pumpkin pie lingered in her mouth as she spoke.

“So, this is because Yeong-Su is a mouse that doesn’t like ch--?” Ajax pinched Selicity’s swaying tail, ignoring the hiss, and the sudden flash of red sent in his direction as Minseo continued.

“And I can’t put all the blame on him. There is a part of me that isn’t quite ready to join you two,” she pushed a stray hair outta her face and licked her lips. Minseo wasn’t used to talking about anything for this long but it was all just pouring out, “I’ve always had to work hard… really hard for what I have. Maybe it is my own stupid pride holding me back. How silly is that?” she chuckled to herself. “Whatever it is we can’t quite join you on your journey yet”

“Hm, I see…”

Minseo exhaled and slumped down into her chair. Her empty plate clattered on the dinner table. The plain-looking regular looked at the white cat who sat perched on Gladioli’s shoulder, “Oh Selicity I almost forgot your question… to be honest… I never really had any real friends before Yeong-Su,” she covered her face with her hands in a mix of exhaustion and embarrassment, “but if you want to be friends I’d gladly accept, perhaps if we meet again at the Workshop you can show me what kind of things friends do together, ” Minseo said in a hushed tone. A weary smile on her face, weary but genuine.

“Yeah!” Selicity’s red eyes immediately turned green as she directed them to Minseo who seemed to be hiding her face in her hands...for whatever reason. She simply concluded that humans were weird. Dropping from Gladioli’s shoulders, Selicity morphed into her human form, making the sharpshooter jump in surprise, and forcing Ajax to scoot aside as she reached for the hands that covered Mun’s face and pulled down so their eyes could be met. You, me, and Gladioli can all play! It doesn’t have to just be at the Workshop. That might be a long ways away...and who knows what might happen until then.” She knew from experience that friends could be easily lost. “We won’t be leaving the 22nd floor until after a month when our test begins anyway and Ajax is as boring as heck!”

Ajax coughed. “There’s no need to be ashamed of pride, Miss Mun. It’s a large reason many of us climb the tower, myself included. While I am a bit disappointed as I’ve already thought of multiple ways to incorporate both you and Yeong-Su into the team, I can see you’ve thought long hard about your decision, so I shall concede defeat for now. ‘Yet’ seems to imply that you may be open to joining us at a later time down the line...and we don’t have to journey together to remain friends. You have my pocket number in case you ever change your mind.”

“Hehe, you don’t give up easily, do you Ajax?” The white-haired, cat-eared woman giggled.

“No, I do not,” Ajax straightened his tie. “May I also ask that you please warn us before suddenly switching forms like that, Miss Selicity?”

Selicity rolled her eyes.

Time seemed to move in slow motion as the white-haired vagrant approached Haewon. What was this wise guy up to, she thought to herself as he walked passed? The man stopped right in front of the King’s Crown… and then equipped himself with a plate and a knife. The red-headed royal couldn’t even get out a word before the man began slicing into her cake…

Her mind began to race. Mixed feelings of abject disbelief, unbridled anger, and deep sadness all swelled up at once. Her face contorted into an ugly grimace. Haewon felt her hands ball up tightly and the shinsoo around them began to ignite, “Hey Hey Hey! What the hell are ya doin’?!” she shouted at the stranger.

“Two more slices.” Surely, two more wouldn’t be too much trouble. Though her expression told a different story. It was hard to tell what was more palpable, her anger, or her flames. Though, as the icing on the cakes seemed to melt ever so slightly Yeong-Su cast his guess to the flames.

By the third cake slice, a cold mist formed around the ankles of the two, Yeong-Su’s Baang sparkled atop the cake. Or rather, the Myun of it. By his fourth cut, he assumed his life was forfeit.

Two more slices?! Had she heard that correctly? Haewon could feel a pressure building up inside of her, red hot rage began to consume her as her flames grew ever more intense. She watched stunned as the boy continued to cut pieces out of the cake that should have been hers entirely. Her muscles tensed. She was gonna punch him. She was going to send this no-name lunatic flying. Every fiber of her being was out for blood but… there was something… a small detail that just barely held her back. This white-haired numskull… as brazen as he was, he wasn’t cowering in fear of her or rushing to befriend her… he was simply being himself, seemingly unaffected by her presence. Haewon fought hard against these thoughts, she wanted to be more furious but despite her efforts, she could feel the pressure inside her slowly dissipating. The short red-haired Princess lowered her arms to her sides, and her flames died out. She cast her gaze upon the cake once more. It was now lit up by the dazzling light of the idiot's baang. She wouldn’t say it but it was quite the stunning display.

Haewon sighed audibly and with much discontent, “Fuck it, cut me a slice. A big slice!” she exclaimed.

Consume too much and your figure might shift. I’d be careful.” Yet his actions contradicted his warning as Yeong-Su cut into the cake. A rather large slice. The singular piece was as large as each of Yeong-Su’s individual pieces. The large piece held together easily as being in the center of his Baang caused it to grow cold, solidify slightly.

Though.” Yeong-Su offered the plate to the redhead. “If you’re like me, and consumption doesn’t affect you, we may have something to talk about.” After all, a girl of her size who so clearly shows her sweet tooth must have a secret in staying lithe. And that was curious enough to draw something more than ire from Yeong-Su.

Not curious enough to keep him around, however.

Haewon found herself flustered as soon as the words left the white-haired dunderheads mouth. Her small fist shot out in fury, enhanced with shinsoo she pegged the regular in his leg, before grabbing her plate and oversized cake slice. She began to stomp off, away from the cake table, mumbling curses under her breath the whole way.

And the shot stung, as karma very well should. Though his face didn’t suggest the punch hurt, his body would make one think his leg broke as it buckled, taking the Regular down to his knees, then onto his face as he laid prone. The cake, at least, was safe.

Rising slowly, walking shakily, Yeong-Su made his way back to his table. He pulls out the chair next to Mun and sits down. His eyes kept on his cake as his fork pulled a chunk from the slice. He chews the slice deliberately, slowly until the swallow. After which he turns to Mun.

“I feel bad. That cake was perfect as it was. Maybe next time, I’ll be able to resist. And that was all he wrote.

“Didn’t bring me back a slice?” the freckled girl chided.

“Eh? The icy mouse-fish is back!”

“Welcome back, Mr. Yeong-Su. It seemed to have gotten a little cold earlier so we were worried you had gotten into a fight. I’m glad to see this isn’t the case.”

"U-uh, Mr. Yeong-su, sir? Are you alright?"
Sweet asked, already pulling out some ointment from her inventory. That shot looked like it hurt.

“Fine. For now.” Yeong-Su tapped the table with his fork, tapping nearby his plate. “Leave it there, I’ll fix myself later.”

“I do smell blood,”
Selicity commented, peeking curiously over at Gladioli’s assortment of ointments. She had no idea what any of them did.

“You don’t have to worry about him,” Minseo insisted.

The sharpshooter didn't seem very convinced, and kept her ointment on hand, just in case.

“It could’ve been much worse,” Ajax replied, gaze drifting over to where Princess Haewon stomped away. “She’s more in control of her temper than I thought she’d be. This is a positive if we become allies, but a negative if we find ourselves, opponents, during a test.”

“Are you worried?”

“Not especially, no. It’s just something to note and adjust going forward.”

“Well, this was quite the night…”
Minseo sighed. She looked around the dinner table taking note of everyone. “Yeong-Su and I will also be on this floor for a couple more weeks if you guys are looking for us. This is a good place to make money. Then after that, we will be off and up,” she concluded.

“Quite the night indeed. It certainly didn’t turn out the way I expected it to.”

“Well, I enjoyed myself.”
Selcity patted her stomach. “Pity we didn’t form a team, but it’s nice to hear you’ll be staying a couple of weeks. More time to play, right Gladioli?”

"Yeah, definitely!"
Sweet smiled brightly in response to Selicity's question. Deep down, though, she wondered if they were going to be just fine.

As the night came to an end, the group vacated the table in small groups. They left the Sweet Palace behind and returned to their homes, where they prepared for what the future might hold...

Minerva

"An Irregular, too?"

Ah, Minerva got it. Illiam was making fun of her.

"I mean sure, he was strong, but an Irregular would not have lost against me so easily. Unless he was faking it and holding back, which would be irritating..."

She wrote a "maybe" at the end of her notes also adding "ATAO".

And The Annoying One.

TIMESKIP- 15 Years Later- 30th Floor- The Workshop Battle

A competition taking place every ten years. All sorts of Regulars would gather, team up or otherwise, for the purpose of obtaining rewards from the great organization known as Gong Bang. Business-oriented Rankers would gather as well, to check out possible technologies to invest into, buy, or simply to see worthwhile Regulars to sponsor, or bet on. The greatest current investor was none other than High Ranker Yume Yu, the CEO of Purr Gatorade Energy Drinks Inc, and Volk's sponsor.
1593283618738.png

"Ladies and gents! Congratulations for coming this far, AND WELCOME TO ARCHIMEDES!" an overly energetic, yet deep and masculine voice echoed through the gigantic ship. The person talking appeared on all the screens. "Greetings. I am Quiz, a Workshop researcher. I will proceed with explaining this year's various contests and their rules."

1593285818672.png

Contests:
  • The Champion: each team sends one member to represent them in one-on-one battle arenas. Teamless individuals can partecipate as well. If too many people gather, a few mini battle royales will be in place to weed out the weaker contestants. The partecipants can kill each other, and it is risky, but it has very handsome rewards for the winner. Note: partecipants also lose if they get pushed out of the arena.
  • The Team Battles: teams partecipate in battles against powerful combat androids built by the Workshop. Fastest team to defeat the android wins. Risk of death, but yet again high rewards.
  • Tech-savy Might: you have a thing for technology? Your own inventions? Present them in front of a crowd of rich businessmen, and someone may be willing to pay you for your knowledge and services as well as other benefits. If they are combat oriented, you may be asked to compete against each other in battle if the investors cannot decide. Possible risk of death.
  • The Arcade: compete in arcade-style games, earn coins, buy mistery boxes. You may find trash, or you might strike gold. Coins can be converted to Tower currency and kept if one so desires, but they won't amount to much unless you play like a maniac all day long. Also. mystery boxes can only be bought with coins. It's nice and dandy, but don't forget that some mystery boxes might contain lethal poisonous gas. Low risk of death, but keep in mind.
  • An extra, optional contest on the last day: details unavailable, apart from possible risk of death.
"Oh, also, a note: if you decide to partecipate in the Team Battle, you may not have any team member partecipate in The Champion or Tech-savy Might contests. You can apply starting... now. All events will begin tomorrow morning. Have a day for now. It may be your last, after all. Hehe!"

Rantos Rantos The One Eyed Bandit The One Eyed Bandit QuirkyAngel QuirkyAngel simj26 simj26 Brendanfp Brendanfp OverconfidentMagi OverconfidentMagi Andrita Andrita

Ajax Cruise + Evelyn Wicker
Floor 30 - The Archimedes
th
In a cyan colored lighthouse, roughly the size of a room—or, at least, that least, that was what they interior would suggest—Ajax Cruise sat, arms folded in front of three screens. One, of course, displayed the Workshop Researcher, Quiz, as he explained the rules of the Workshop Battle contests. The second, which occupied most of Ajax’s attention, was a virtual 4d chess board. And the last…the last screen depicted the smirking face of his boss—Evelyn Wicker—who seemed to be snacking on strawberries as they played.

Calls from their guide usually involved a report on their progress followed by a game of some sort for Ajax—a puzzle to solve or a program to de-bug. It was how Evelyn usually trained him in the position they shared and one of the reasons Ajax never underestimated his opponent or bragged despite his intellectual capability. His boss never failed to remind him that, no matter how smart he thought he was, there was someone superior. The fact that Evelyn was a High Ranker Lightbearer and Guide didn’t take away the fact that Ajax hated to lose.

Yet, it would seem he was about to face his 113497 loss to Ophidian’s owner. Ajax wasn’t even sure how he’d managed to draw 1 of their chess matches, but, as soon as he did, they moved on to 4D…where he’d been stuck ever since.

“Have you thought of what contests you guys will be participating in?” Evelyn asked casually, tossing a chocolate coated strawberry into his mouth.

21ed1236dd3b9f98c9b328be94a0739e51a798f9v2_00.jpg
Ajax didn’t look away from the board. “I’ll need to discuss it with Miss Sweet and Miss Selicity first, but I’m thinking the Team Battle will be the most productive of the ones listed. The contests themselves seem rather straightforward in that the best fighter, the best team, or the best inventor wins. Ideally, we’d have enough members to send one of us to each of the individual contests and still participate in the Team Battle, to maximize the potential gains of the overall team, but seeing as that isn’t the case, our time would be best utilized practicing formations and strategies that would allow us to operate as a unit towards a goal. I’d also like to see how our team compares with other teams climbing the Tower.”

He moved a pawn before continuing. “Alternatively, we could send Selicity to ‘The Champion’ while Miss Sweet and I register as a team of two for the teams battles. It would be a good chance for her to see how she stacks against others individually, but sending away our only fisherman would hamper our chances of victory in the team battles. Seems more prudent to attempt for one win than try half heartedly and fail two.”

“You aren’t considering the Tech Savy Might?”

“No,”
Ajax answered, his gloved hand rubbing his chin in thought as he analyzed Evelyn’s quick response. The High Ranker didn’t even seem to be trying. “My skills are in hacking, not inventing. The best I could do given the short time period is a program of some sort and I don’t think it’d compare to some of the other inventors. Besides, seeing as you are already sponsoring me, Boss, I don't feel the need to find another.”

The living ignition weapon moved a knight.

“I’m touched~” Again Evelyn didn’t hesitate, amusement shining in his fake green eyes. “Well, your thought process isn’t wrong. I look forward to hearing about how you all perform,”

“You aren’t coming yourself?”

Ophidian’s owner was a Ranker with ties to the Workshop so it wouldn’t be strange for him to appear as an investor. In fact, Ajax had half expected he would. It would be a good chance to introduce Miss Sweet to their team’s guide.

“Why would I go when I already have an employee there to do the buying for me?” His Boss smirked and Ajax knew he was the referred employee. He did figure that the Boss sent them to the Workshop for ulterior motives of his own, though what they were, Ajax couldn’t say. “Besides, I’ve already sent Shinyoo there in my stead.”

“Mr. Hyek? Is that wise? Wouldn’t sending Ms. Minji or even Ms. Jen be a better choice for more…business-related…operations?”

“They’re busy,”
Evelyn chuckled. “And Shinyoo has better judgment than you think, Ajax. It comes with being old.”

Ajax knew Evelyn Wicker and the Ranker Shinyoo Hyek went way back—even before he was employed— and that he was probably one of the stronger of his boss’s employees, but exactly how strong, he couldn’t say. He’d never once seen the monster manipulate shinsoo such that Ajax questioned if he even knew how. Yet, there was no denying his strength either. They may be co-workers, but the Ranker was his superior both seniority and skill. Therefore it wasn’t exactly his place to object. He nodded. “Is there anything I should prepare?”

“The only thing you need to prepare for at the moment are the battles ahead of you. Try not to make Ophidian look bad.”
Though, the entertained tone in Evelyn’s voice suggested that the high ranker didn’t care one way or the other. “By the way, how’s my favorite Kitty doing?”

“Miss Selicity is sunbathing by the pool on the second floor,”
Not that Evelyn couldn’t find out by hacking into the observer he'd given her anyway so Ajax saw no point in lying. “Though I imagine she’s heard the announcement by now and is on her way back to our room so we can discuss it. Miss Sweet as well. Probably.”

At the very least, Ajax hoped so. They didn’t even have a team name to register by yet. Names had never really been something he put much thought into as he always thought them inconsequential. It didn’t matter what they were called.

“The pink-haired sniper on your team, right? I watched her test performance in the recording you sent. Quite the interesting teammate you picked up,”

“If you mean her potential connection to Wolhaiksong, I haven’t asked her about it yet.”

Evelyn shook his head and chuckled. “If you don't know, it doesn’t matter. I let you picked your own allies for a reason, after all. Wouldn’t nearly be as fun otherwise.”

“Fun, Sir?”

“Yes fun,”
The smirk was back. “You should relax a bit, Ajax. Maybe then you’ll be able to see the game more clearly.”

“Winning isn’t possible when the opponent can see the future.”

“Is what you think?”
The guide chortled. “I don’t see the future, my dear Hacking Program. I think I’d prefer not to. Terribly boring when you know exactly what will happen when it happens; Takes the excitement out of things. It can even blind you to what you think you know if you aren’t careful--close your eyes to the present and make you terribly inflexible. I know of several that suffer from such a malady.”

“It would make winning easier though. Besides, aren’t you a guide, Mr. Wicker?”

“I see paths to a lot of potential futures and pick out the ones that advantageous to me. There’s a difference.”
Evelyn picked at his fingers. “Not that I even need to when you’re so easy to read.”

“What do you mean?”

“Logical people are always the easiest to see through. You don’t need to see the future to beat me, Ajax. You just need step outside my area of prediction.”

“Easier said than done.”

Evelyn snickered. “Maybe so, but I’m not even expecting you to win. Just not losing is enough. Then we'll move on to 5D chess.”

Ajax sighed. Unfortunately, even not losing to the high ranker was still beyond his ability. With his 113497th loss, he could see a purple girl hand Evelyn a new bowl of strawberries. No. Not human. He detected no life signs. Android? However, before he could even question Evelyn, the purple haired girl whispered something to his employer and the dark skinned man ended the call. Odd. Cracking his neck, Ajax stretched his stiff shoulders a bit before stepping outside of his lighthouse and into the room.

In a way, losing the chess match had cleared his head.

Regardless of the outcome of the Workshop Battle, he just had to not lose sight of his main goal. Try to enjoy himself. It was an event that happened only once every 10 years after all. And, perhaps, he could attempt to be a bit more unpredictable as well.

(mentioned: simj26 simj26 )

Last edited:

Honestly, it was kind of scary how familiar you could become with a room once you'd spent enough time in it. First, she'd started to note down the obvious things; the positions of furnishings, the dimensions of the space, how sound carries through the walls. Then, once all of that had been catalogued, the real characteristics of the room had started to shine through. The pitch at which the lightbulbs whined, and the depth with which they bleached the walls white. At first, she'd questioned why exactly the decorator had settled on such an aggressively bright bulb, but eventually, she'd realized it was more akin to a trick than a decorative decision. A light bright and white enough could conceal any stains, and a look of sterility beat destitution any day.

As the current occupant, the green-haired young woman was sure that these walls had seen all sorts of people in its time; all of them passing through and leaving some mark or another, be it severe or benign, each one compounding on top of the other. She could imagine the owner strolling into the room with a huff after every handful of bookings, the same one they gave whenever she ordered room service for the nth day in a row, and doing their best to patch up the damages.

But, of course, there was only so much that their half-baked, self-taught handiwork could do, and thus the room had fallen into its current state of deterioration.

Areum exhaled a huff of her own as she lay nestled atop a pile of blankets and pillows. Her pocket gently levitated in front of her, while she aimlessly navigated from website to website, as she so often did. She had long since exhausted the stream of travel blogs that she'd usually employ to entertain herself on any given floor, and taken to browsing her way through any innocuous website she ended up coming across. In her mounting boredom, she'd even taken up haunting chatrooms when she was particularly desperate for simulation.

Today, however, her usual distractions didn't seem to be doing it for her. She wasn't quite sure if the problem was the Workshop Battle finally being on the cusp of onset, or that the five hundred and eighteenth day of the same schedule just so happened to be the straw that broke the camel's back, but she doubted that figuring out the culprit would do anything to quell the feeling of listlessness blossoming in her chest.

Her hand twitched as a particular headline scrolled across her Pocket. She'd been seeing a lot of them lately. Having to tolerate the usual deluge about the current flavour of the month was a given, but the latest one turned her stomach regardless. Dredged up a bitterness old enough that even someone of her disposition wanted to forget it. Her involuntary twitch had opened up the article, but her fingers moved faster than her eyes and soon enough she was back on her home page.

Unfortunately, though, that one errant page seemed to be enough to convince the recommendation algorithm that she had a new favourite topic, and her feed was speckled with articles about that person. That was enough to convince her that it was high time she did something else with the rest of the day.

For the first time in weeks, she eyed the sturdy wooden door at the far end of the room. It wasn't a particularly large space, she'd been frugal and picked one of the cheaper rooms, so the exit was almost always in her field of vision regardless of what she was doing, but she'd made such sparing use of it that it was almost invisible. In fact, she'd been using it more often as a meal hatch than an actual door.

What was she, some sort of prisoner? Weren't her square meals supposed to be free, then?

A wry smirk crossed her expression at the thought, but the idea of her holding herself captive really did sound quite pathetic now that she was airing it out like this. This wasn't the first time it'd crossed her mind, but with the Battle finally beginning, it'd probably be the last.

With a grunt of exertion, Areum hauled herself off of her bed and towards the door. Usually, she wouldn't dream of going out like this; her hair was hardly combed, her makeup was a day old, and she'd even forgone her usual attire in favour of a comfier sweater and pair of shorts today, but she couldn't bring herself to care very much at the moment. Think of it as one last hurrah to her peaceful days, she told herself, and then sharply pulled open the door and ventured into the halls beyond.

She winced as sunlight spilt in the door. Between it and her room's solitary lightbulb, she frankly wasn't sure which was brighter, but the prior was certainly much more aggressive. With it came heat, and then wind, scent, and all the other unpleasantries of the elements.

She already wanted to go back inside.

Podding across the cheap iron walkway that led from her room and into the courtyard below, Areum considered her options. There was certainly a lot of things she could do on this Floor in particular, on the eve of this event especially, but none of them struck her fancy. She recalled the announcer's list of events as her mind wandered, and was reminded of her current solitary status. Internally, she cringed. She was well aware that her chances at both the Champion and Tech Savvy events were slim, but...

The young woman frowned and squeezed the bridge of her nose as a series of musty old thoughts flashed through her mind.

She could put the topic of teams aside, at least for the moment.

With no shortage of effort, she turned her attention towards her stomach instead. It'd been a long time since she'd eaten anything but the half-baked room service menu available to her, and she could've sworn that the food had been degrading in quality lately.

Her first order of business, then, would be a nice meal.

Ha Naseon

Naseon looked up at the list of contests available to enter. He immediately dismissed the Tech and Arcade contests. He was no good with building things, he was more often the reason things broke. The Arcade sounded like it might be fun, but not for someone who was self-acknowledged to have zero luck. In all his life, Naseon had only ever had good luck in two instances. The first was being born into a branch of one of the 10 Families, which gave him his strong body. That was luck, though it had led him to despair more often than he'd been thankful for it. The second was when he'd met Renari. His emerald eyes darkened as they fell to the floor. "Let's stay away from gambling," he agreed to himself then and there, a broader decision than just for this floor's abnormal tests. That left the Team and Champion battles. Obviously he'd be signing up for the Champion battles, since he didn't have a team.

"Mister Ha!"

He let out a sigh, recognizing the voice and way of speaking right away, and turned to greet the boy. "So you made it here in time for the fun, Sorri." He raised a fist to the kid.

Sorri punched Naseon's fist. It was a light hit, but Naseon's feet left the ground for a moment as he was knocked backwards by the child even smaller than himself. Yup, it was the same kid for sure. Naseon could think of no one else would so casually push back a Ha. This kid was special.

25th Floor - Jungle Test

As he shook the strange kid's hand, Naseon felt something strange all around his body. He immediately pulled his hand away. "What did you just do?" His green eyes glared at the child.

"You had a lot of weight pressing down on you," Sorri said. "I used my shinsoo to take some of that away. Go on, try moving now. It should feel a lot better."

Naseon's doubt evaporated as soon as he tried moving his body. The kid was right, the crushing weight of shinsoo he'd put up with his whole life was just... gone. It was like he'd been hunched over all his life and suddenly he was standing up straight. The difference was incredible. He couldn't help but grin wide. This he needed to test out for real! His jump was supposed to carry him to the Horned Tyrant so he could beat on the thing a few times before it got back up, but his near-weightless body flew high over his target, all the way out of the clearing and through the canopy beyond.

"Ha! HAHAHAHAHA!" Naseon laughed into the sky with his arms spread wide. This was amazing! The shinsoo tendrils trailing between his fingers pulled taut and he was jerked back. Now for the return trip. Pulling back the shinsoo he'd left on the tree's he'd flown through, Naseon shot back towards the ground and clearing where that creature had recovered and was back up. The Horned Tyrant was sent flying by a regular slamming into its back. It rolled but somehow still didn't seem tired at all, it just shook itself off and stood back up for more.

"Seriously? What sort of regular do they expect to be able to deal with this monster if it doesn't even go down from a hit like that? Someone should complain about the ranker in charge of this test." Naseon was thrown back almost as far as the creature. Right, he didn't just feel lighter, he was lighter. Hitting something like that would send him flying too. He couldn't help but grin. This was fun. [Seaweed] He touched the ground to anchor himself if he got thrown around again.

"Mister Ha! Keep that thing's attention for a minute please!"

Naseon turned to the kid who'd somehow managed to recover his ax from the horn of the Tyrant. He was pointing at the fallen tree Naseon had used to first attack the monster. That at least it had seemed to feel. Okay, that was a solid enough plan. He'd let the kid figure out something with the tree while he got to keep playing with the lizard while his body felt so incredibly light.

Dodging those deadly shinsoo blasts had been terrifying before, but right now Naseon's body was obeying everything he told it to do so quickly and easily. By the time he thought to move out of the way he'd already thrown himself far out of the blast's path. He was so much faster like this! He could dance around this monster for hours without getting hit by one of those blasts. But after hitting the Horned Tyrant a dozen more times, Naseon began to see the drawbacks of being nearly weightless. He might be landing more punches onto the beast, but the recoil sent Naseon flying more than the hits seemed to even tickle the massive lizard. So that was it. There was literally no weight behind his punches now. He could hit the thing all day and not do any damage. He'd need the kid to come through with whatever he was planning to do with that tree, or else take off whatever he'd done to make Naseon's body so light.

The tree was gone. Naseon looked over where it was to see how the kid was doing on whatever idea he'd had, but the kid and the whole massive fallen tree that had been lying there were both gone.

He didn't have time to think about where the kid could have gone, Naseon was busy keeping the monster's attention. It stood before him, another shinsoo blast already charged.

"Come on then, hit me you big stupid lizard! You're too big and dumb to hit me even if I stand still!"

The Horned Tyrant fired.

"Just kidding." Naseon pulled on the shinsoo tendrils he'd stuck to the ground to move his body just barely outside of the cone of death. At the same time, [Hungry Nautilus] a green baang formed in his open palm, so close to the shinsoo beam the baang actually warped as if being pulled inside the deadly shinsoo. But as the beam faded, it was that deadly shinsoo that got pulled into the green baang. Shinsoo tentacles very similar to the ones left by [Seaweed] were growing out of the green baang, reaching out for the shinsoo of the beam to grab more of it before it faded to feed the baang. And when the shinsoo left behind by the Tyrant's attack was all gone, the tentacles themselves were sucked back into and cannibalized by the baang as well. Naseon grinned wickedly up at the monster. "I'd ask you to hold still, but I don't think you have much say in the matter."

The Horned Tyrant was crushed into the ground as the entire massive tree it has felled earlier dropped out of the sky on top of it. The cloud of dirt and dust that rose blacked sight of the lizard, giving Sorri time to drop lightly to the ground next to Naseon. "Good job keeping it occupied and not dying!" The boy was as cheerful as ever, despite having just thrown a tree with enough force and precision to make a ranker spear bearer reconsider their skills.

"Hey, can you take off whatever you did earlier?"

Sorri shrugged. "No problemo!" He poked Naseon's cheek, and suddenly all of the familiar weight threatening to crush every inch of Naseon's body that he'd carried since he was born hated by the shinsoo came rushing back.

Naseon closed his fingers around the overcharged baang in his hand and stepped closer to the the downed shinheuh. It wasn't moving. Naseon didn't know it at the time, but the tree that had just been dropped on the Tyrant's body had weighed a dozen times what it should have. The boy's shinsoo could make things heavier in addition to making them lighter.

He thought of what he should say now, but nothing came to mind. Oh well. It was just a monster after all. His fist, with all of the weight of the shinsoo that hated him and from the destructive blasts the Tyrant had tried to kill him with, slammed down onto the lizard's head.

The innocent-looking child smiled wide. "I could say the same to you, Mister Ha. I've been here for a while. What took you so long?" The way emotions flashed across the boy's face so smoothly was almost disorientating for someone whose smile had turned into a smirk from underuse. A smile, a pout, a mischievous wink. Naseon thought the boy's displays of emotion needed an epilepsy warning for how fast and brightly they appeared and were replaced.

"I got caught up in the last-minute rush of regulars trying to get through the 29th floor to make it here in time for the workshop events," Naseon admitted. As usual, this kid made him unusually talkative. "Ended up having to get a little more serious than I'd have liked, but I didn't want to miss the fun here. Speaking of, how did you manage to find me?"

"That's easy. I could feel it."

"Feel?"

"The shinsoo of course. You're still pulling it towards you like a leaky drain. You should really consider stopping that, it's gonna get you noticed by the wave controllers here. No point putting a big target on your back when the tests aren't even started yet."

"I'll keep that in mind," Naseon said, not wanting to talk about the fact that he couldn't turn it off. Shinsoo hated him, that was why it clung to and pressed down on him. There was nothing he could do about it. "So Sorri, do you plan on joining any of these contests?" Naseon was actually interested in the boy's answer. If the boy planned on participating in the Champion battles, then things would be a lot more interesting there. The kid was a lot stronger than his appearance suggested.

"I was thinking of playing the games in the Arcade," Sorri answered. "Does't an arcade sound like it'll be a lot of fun? And there are prizes if you're super duper lucky! I'm pretty lucky, so I think I have a chance of winning something cool there."

"Lucky huh?" Naseon smiled back at the kid. "I'm jealous."

"What about you Mister Ha?"

"Hm?"

"What contests did you want to join?"

"I'm only any good at fighting, so probably the Champion or Team battles. Well, just the Champion battles really."

"Because you're too grumpy to find a team?"

Naseon glared at the smiling kid. "Yeah, that's right."

"Then I'll join your team! If you want to do the Team contest, that is."

He didn't know how to react to that. Naseon didn't know how to handle this kid at all. "I thought you didn't like fighting?"

"I don't, but the Team Battle is supposed to be against robots, not people, so it's not like anyone's actually getting hurt."

Naseon stared at the boy. "Hey, this isn't your way of trying to keep me from fighting other regulars, is it?"

"Yup!" Sorri responded with a smile.

Naseon sighed and then laughed. He really didn't know how to handle this kid. "Fine, let's break some robots then."

"Yay!"

"But I'm not going gambling with you."

"Aw, come on, it'll be fun!"

Last edited:
Han Ji-hyeon
Floor 25

She swayed, took a few more steps forwards, then fell down to the charred dirt. She remained motionless for a few more seconds, before she got up again, visibly struggling as she rose. Her muscles wanted to give way under her own weight, and she couldn't blame them. She did just get her shit pushed in for the majority of the test. The beast was at least three times larger than she was, and an nth degree wider. But she got him. She got him. That was all that mattered. She was the one on top of the food chain. She stumbled forwards, catching onto the horn protruding out of the beast's head, a part of which had been blown apart, leaving only a chunky red paste, dotted with white pieces. As much as she wasn't in a good way, the Tyrant was in a worse position.

She managed a breathy chuckle, as she pushed herself off from the horn, and stepped towards the main body, before she took another tumble, falling flat onto the earth again. Her ears were ringing, her vision was blurring, and it seemed like she was seeing those stars again. She couldn't feel a major part of her body. Probably from getting her limbs onto a horn charged with Shinsoo energy, breaking it and then firing it point blank into the skull of the beast it belonged to. Nerves were probably frayed or something. She wasn't a doctor. She didn't know this stuff.

The ringing softened slightly, just enough for her to catch muffled words and footsteps around her. Probably the other Regulars. Thought she told them to get. More could've survived if they didn't stick around to try and help her. Could've just ran to the exit, like the smart ones did. But no, these idiots had to stand around and try and play it tough.

She was glad though. She was glad that some of them stuck around. Maybe, she realised, the Tower ain't so bad after all. It was so much more beautiful than she ever imagined. She pushed herself off the ground, and flopped onto her back, gazing up into the canopy, as the voices around her got louder. She closed her eyes, and laughed.

Yoo Haewon
Floor 30

Time passed slowly. The murmur of guests milling about the lobby did not make the second hand tick any faster for the two men sitting across from each other, their empty cups sitting in front of them, crumbs being what remained of their biscuits lying on the saucers. On one end sat a brown-haired gentleman. A stubble was beginning to form on his chin. His piercing blue eyes gazed into the vast darkness that lay within his partner's hood.

"I understand." The hooded figure nodded slightly.

"I'm very, very sorry." The other man bowed.

"No need to be, it's fine, trust me." The hooded one motioned to the man. To demonstrate, perhaps, that there was nothing else to be said, he rose from his seat.

The brown-haired man stood up as well, and bowed once more in apology. Haewon reciprocated with a bow of his as well. Both men gave each other a firm shake with their hands. "I wish you the best, Haewon. You've helped us a lot, and I won't forget it."

"Think nothing of it, Jin," Haewon waved dismissively, and chuckled softly. "Though it will be tough to find another team in these circumstances."

"Yes, well..." Jin scratched his temple. He was still nervous. Haewon couldn't blame him.

Haewon didn't mind though. It was his prerogative to take on the challenges that the Workshop were putting up. The fact that his previous partners weren't interested in doing so was not unprecedented. He waved once more to the man, dispelling whatever other apologies that he might have. He said his goodbyes, then departed from the table.

He pushed open the doors to the quaint little hotel, bringing up his Pocket as he did. On display were the tasks of the Workshop Battle, as advertised. Champion, Team, Tech, Arcade, and Secret, were how he termed the tests. Logically, Champion had the lowest chance of winning, with a high amount of risk, while Arcade had the highest, but was rife with trash for rewards, he was supposing. However, there was perhaps more to be said about being confident enough to enter the Champion test. At the very least, it would be what they expected of him. He was, obviously, unable to enter for Team Battles, and was hardly any good with playing around with technology in the first place. The Secret one intrigued him, just a little bit.

He sighed, and dropped his Pocket back into its Invisible Mode. Even without a team, he was still determined to go through with this, even if it meant that he'd be playing the game alone.

Fortune was not on his side today, it seemed.

Last edited:
Ellia Aris Khun
Floor 30 - The Archimedes
original.jpg
One of the five great floating ships of the Workshop—the Archimedes.

The builders that made it were clearly disciples and architect of great skill. However, what made it special wasn’t the beauty of the structure or the tourist attractions. It was the secrets that lay hidden within the upper floors where some of the most brilliant minds worked. Her teacher had taken her there once before when she’d still been a disciple. She’d seen things then. Many things. Things she dared not reveal to the outside world if she valued her life.

Ellia’s fingers unconsciously traced the black seal spelled around her neck.

Not that she would. Even if she was a Regular now, her loyalty was to the Workshop. She didn’t want to disappoint her teacher, nor the trust he placed in her. Once she was finished climbing, Ellia would most likely return. She found value in creation. In learning. Not destruction, power, or politics. She wanted no fame or money. Her ideal home was a quiet place where she could just make things.

Yet, here she was, strolling along one of the Archi’s many parks in the company of Princess Haewon.

Ellia had been surprised to find the Blitz family princess making money on the 22nd floor, but the royal had been looking for teammates to climb the tower with, and Ellia saw no reason not to accompany her. They knew each other, if only a little, after all. Her half-sister, Princess Khun Maschenny, was also Princess Haewon’s sister by liu of royal blood and teacher of the spear. They both learned from the owner of the Yellow May at one point in their lives.

There were other reasons of course.

Haewon and Yewon. She’d heard the story of the sister that didn’t become a princess and the sister that did. Old news really, but Ellia supposed she felt a bit of of a connection with the younger girl because she also lost siblings. However, their similarities ended there. For while Haewon’s sister died of an uncontrollable accident, Ellia’s siblings were killed and/or abandoned by their own family for being weak. Ellia didn’t even know them. It was just the way of the Khuns—to leave behind those that didn’t deserve the family name. A minor thing really, but even a small line of thread was all it took for connections to grow and build.

As she listened to Quiz, a researcher she didn’t know, explain the rules from one of the park’s broadcasting poles, she wondered what went through the young princess’s head. Haewon was short-tempered, quick to anger, but also quick to act for the good of others when it called for it. Simple-minded, yet honest, careless, yet stubborn. Those were the qualities Ellia noted. Haewon was quick to make friends with those she could fight—that, of course, meant the people she was likely to befriend are those who were confident enough to enter ‘The Champion’. Ellia wondered of Haewon knew that.

“I don’t believe I’ve told you why I’m climbing the Tower yet, Princess,” Ellia brought the conversation up casually as they strolled. Funny that though they climbed the tower together starting from the 22nd floor, it wasn’t s topic that was ever brought up—their motivations and aspirations. Ellia didn’t know why she was feeling so talkative. Perhaps it was the feel of the wind or the fake smell of nature that was making her feel more relaxed. “I’m looking for someone. There’s something I’ve forgotten to tell him about himself.”

No. It was because she was nearing her destination and the object of her curiosity that she was being honest. Why were people so desperate to climb? Why go through all that trouble? What was there at the top of the tower? Until she got the answer to her questions, their paths may yet separate, so Haewon at least deserved to know why. “He’s a project of mine—an item by his own right. And I…I am him his creator, of sorts. As you likely know by now,” Or maybe not. “I am a researcher at heart. Much like how fighting is for Regulars, contests like the Tech Savy Might are something disciples at the Workshop constantly participate in to hone their skills and challenge other innovative minds like themselves.” The pain around her neck was intense. Throbbing as if it were alive. It was a warning. Speak any more on the topic and she was likely to die. Still, there was no change in Ellia’s expression. She continued. “I am not one now, but that does not change my nature. Creating things is what I live to do.”

She’d known that ever since she was introduced to her teacher and the Workshop. Ellia looked ahead.

“And, as with all creators, our projects are a subject of interest to us. Ajax Cruise is my best work as of now. The first of his kind I’ve ever created. I can’t go into more detail about what he is, but I want to observe him. See how far he goes. Gather data. Document his success and failures. It’s from that information that things can be learned and improvements can be made. Does that sound strange to you?”

Ellia was nervous as she met Haewon’s gaze. For some reason, it felt like sharing a confession with a friend. Like she was laying herself, and her thoughts, bare. She knew very many in her own family thought her strange…and that she was probably more suited for the likes of the Po Bidau or the Tu Perie family. But none of that mattered. She loved her mother, who loved her husband, so she could be nothing else but a Khun. She also knew that unless everything was out in the open, progress could not be made, and their friendship could be nothing more than a fake pretense for the sake of political relationships. So even if she was nervous, even if she felt like she wanted to crawl in a hole and die, there was no hesitance in her eyes either. Just calmness as she waited for Haewon’s response.

Brendanfp Brendanfp

Last edited:
31st Floor- Test: Card Galore

The Regulars where separated in two teams, Blue and Orange, with each team member having received a card with the colour of their team, and the test took place in a forest environment. There were two ways of winning. The first was the team win: defeat the other team and steal their cards. The second was the individual win: reach the opposite team's base and die your card, used in case the opposite team is going to clearly win. The individual win, however, was only possible for one individual from each team.

Mateo and Von Hare where initially part of a 3-man team, but one of their team mates was just an infiltrated member of team Blue. He swiftly ran to the other team and died his card blue.
1593462822333.png

"Well, would you look at these sorry f***ers."
"Yeah, I almost feel bad for them."
"Listen, if you go on your knees, beg, and gives us all your points, we will not kill you. How about it?"
"Hahahaha. How generous of you man. Great idea."

"There are two..." Von Hare spoke.
"Eh?"
1593463235293.png

"There are two types of people in this world," He continued. "Those who seak redemption," Darkness engulfed his body. "And those who seek sins," He bacame more muscular as his face like a took the shape of a white rabbit mask. "What will you be? Beggars of mercy for the purpose of redeeming the possibility of being left alive, or..." A sinister, sharp-toothed grin formed underneath the mask. "Will you become my sins?" He stared them down intensely with all his six crimson eyes as he took out a spear from his inventory.
1593463782496.png

"Gyah!"
"W-what are you, some sort of monster?"
"Don't be intimidated by his appearance! He's just a rabbit man. Scarying y'all with tricks." He said that, but he was taken aback by Von Hare's sudden transformation.
"H-he's right, it's just a rabbit and pretty boy over there." The hooded man pointed at Mateo.
"LET'S GET THEM!"

And so they enhanced their bodies with Shinsoo and charged at the two completely ordinary Regulars.

cojemo cojemo

Nyra Carciphi

"Here's your order," the woman behind the counter pushed a box across for the girl to take. "The rest is behind the back like you asked."

The woman sold sushi. It was the best sushi anywhere on the whole floor, at least as far as Nyra had searched. It was the best because the woman's husband caught all of the fish in the morning and dropped off the best ones for his wife to make into sushi before he took the rest to sell at the fish market. So the fish was always fresh. The woman also prepared the fish very plainly, barely going further than cutting it into even pieces, which Nyra found much better than the people who felt the need to handle the fish too much and leave it tasting like their hands.

"Thank you very much," Nyra bowed her head to the woman. She'd been the woman's best customer for a full year now, buying an unreasonable amount of both her sushi and unprepared fish left by her husband, but in all that time Nyra hadn't bothered to learn the woman's name. Something like that hadn't once entered her mind in all her visits.

The bandaged girl walked around the back of the building. There was a large refrigerated container back there where normally extra fish in case of a rush of sushi orders would be stored, but since Nyra had become a regular customer the container had been repurposed. Now it was entirely filled with the fish she alone had ordered. It took two lighthouses to carry the entire haul of dead fish back to the roof of the building where Nyra was living. She'd paid extra to use the roof whenever she wanted, on top of the already high price of living so close to where the workshop battle was going to take place.

"Up there huh?" Nyra shielded her eyes from the ceiling's light to watch the workshop's massive ship floating high above. Workshop battles were supposed to be a big deal. Even rankers watched some of the events. Brother. "I hope you-"

A loud roar from behind her disturbed Nyra's contemplation. "Mim, quiet," she yelled at a small lizard covered in grey ear-like growths. "And Retn, stop stealing Mim's food. If you don't, I'll feed you to Yazi." The massive golden eel lifted its head from the pile of fish long enough to grumble at the two small lizards. They both scurried away, but as soon as the eel lowered its head they both rushed right back over to the food. Nyra took out her own small box of sushi to enjoy a pleasant meal with her family. Ullyr prowled over to beg for some of this special food, but she was forced to settle for Nyra scratching her ears while she ate, which seemed enough to content the large cat. Nyra's feet kicked back and forth happily over the side of the roof.

I hope you're happy, wherever you are.

Of course, Nyra planned to participate in the workshop battle herself. There was no other reason she would have stopped her climb up the tower for this long if she didn't plan on participating. She'd been early enough that she could have easily taken the floor's normal tests and not had to deal with any of this fanfare, and if what she wanted was just to climb up the tower she would have done just that, but the top of the tower had never been her goal. Participating in the workshop battle and causing a disturbance large enough that even rankers would be talking about it, that would bring her closer to her goal a lot sooner than just climbing higher.

The Champion battles would be her best opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back