• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chronicle of the Scavenger Lands (Exalted 3E) - IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Baphinol gives Zedradon a little smile. "You're certainly an eloquent one." he says. "But I wouldn't say there's a hidden reason for what I do that I don't know about. I care about the mortals of my river not just because of my obligations to Heaven, but because the mortals provide me with worship. To me, that's no different than a human lord having the sense to take good care of his people, knowing as he does that he is dependent on them to farm his lands, fight his battles and fund his rule."

"I will admit that I cannot help but take the occasional interest in a specific mortal. After all, that's how Nerrocen was conceived." he adds, grinning.

"Less of a hidden meaning, and more of a feeling. But I'll also be the first to admit, I don't know much about the ways of the gods. Though seeing one in person has certainly raised plenty of curiosities regarding that topic."

Zed smiled back at Bephinols grin. "Well, I have no doubt that for one to catch your attention, they must be quite special."

Zedradon cleared his throat. Realizing he was going off on a tangent. "But back to the matter at hand. When do you want to make our move?" He asked.

"Perhaps we can talk about our ways later on." says Baphinol. "As to the matter at hand, there is only so much I can do to aid you. Heaven's laws forbid gods from interceding in worldly affairs; I can offer some token support, but I cannot do something like travel and fight alongside you, lest I risk drawing the attention of the Immaculates or the agents of Heaven. But on the other hand, I can act at whatever time suits you all."

"Depending on where my fellows wish to go, we might use some fog." Quill says "After all, to make the ship fly requires fog or mist for it to fly on. Someday, I'll have to see about making it capable of generating it's own fog or mist."

"I am eager to return home, but the timing is largely a military matter, I think. Ryan, are your men ready?" Ysandre asks.

Zedradons paused in thought."Perhaps Baphinol can help boost what fog you create using the river." He said responding to Quill. "To make it less suspicious in case sorcerers are present. A full blanket to the region to get us right atop the castle. Perhaps a two pronged approach. Through the secret tunnels as well as from above. Even if we did not land or jump off the ship, it wouldn't be too hard to make a little chaos to aid the troops in the storming of the castle. Such as dropping fire or oil."

"And, if Baphinol is capable of giving us indirect aid... if our plan is held off, even by a day. I'm not familiar with the topography of the land, but perhaps Baphinol can create a strategic flood to any place the Queen would find valuable enough to send troops to aid in helping. Thus getting their troops out of the castle and having their resources focused elsewhere."

"I am confident in Ryan's ability to succeed in this siege. But maybe we can use what we have to lessen the danger to his troops."

"The Crimson Fangs are ready to move out whenever we're ready." Ryan replied, somewhat surprised the rush for the capital would happen this soon.

"We are in winter, so it shouldn't be much trouble for me to create a layer of fog around the river." says Baphinol. "As for a flood, well, assuming that Ysandre is even willing to allow it, such a thing is likely to draw the attention of the local Immaculates. Especially if it happens on a scale large enough to distract Melisande and Quincel. They won't be able to help but think I had a hand in such a thing, and if they have an Immaculate martial artist around, and I can't bluff my way out of it...well, a beating would be the least of my worries."

30th of Ascending Air, Realm Year 768, Night
Time has passed. The Silver Mermaid has traveled the roughly 150 miles from Bayonne to the ruins pointed out by Quill, sailing atop a great cloud of fog created by Baphinol. The river god himself has opted to come on the ship with the group, in order to better control and co-ordinate the fog cloud. Now, sitting in a meditative position at the ship's prow, he slowly lowers both his hands with the palms facing down, at which point the group feel the ship start to descend, the fog beneath it gradually dissipating. With ease, Baphinol gently guides the Silver Mermaid back down onto the water's surface, the western bank of the river just visible through the fog, after which Ozwin has the ship drop anchor.

Baphinol extends the clear area of mist around the ship just enough for everyone to safely disembark on the side of the river. As the one who knows the location of the ruins, Quill is in the first rowboat, and within a collection of hills, he soon locates the entrance to a twisting cave that leads into a ruined, yet clearly man-made corridor. Searching the area further, it doesn't take long for him to discover a great stone hall that must have once been used for storage back in the Shogunate Era. Parts of it have long since collapsed, but there is still enough space for all of Ryan and Ganzin's men to assemble there.

Back on the deck of the Silver Mermaid, Ozwin and Baphinol meet with the rest of the Solars as Ganzin, Tannis and Arumi co-ordinate the disembarking of the troops, in order to see them off.

"Well, it looks like this is goodbye. If you can succeed in taking back your kingdom now, I doubt you'll need me to ferry you all to Aberuthven." Ozwin says to the Solars. "For what it's worth, good luck."

"I don't think it's retaking the kingdom that they'll need luck for." Baphinol remarks, a hint of warning in his voice as he looks at Ysandre. "It's holding it that'll be the tricky part. Mark my words, Lookshy and the Wyld Hunt won't allow one of your kind to rule a kingdom in the Scavenger Lands if they can help it, let alone do so with the help of six other Solars. It'll take them a lot of time to gather sufficient forces - six months, maybe a year, two at most - but eventually, they'll come for you."

"We won't be sitting idly while they prepare. That I assure you. There's much and more we've still yet to learn as well. The more time they take to gather their strength, the stronger we'll be in turn. Now, if you'd be so kind, Ailera, we'll take the front of the formation. I'd rather us not step on any surprises that may have settled in down here." Ryan gave the Night caste a pat on the back with a smile. "Crimson Fangs, time to move out!"

"They'll be anticipating that." Baphinol warns Ryan grimly. "I've done all I can to help you here. Farewell, and may we meet again under more auspicious circumstances."

With that, he fades away like a cloud of fog being blown by the wind. Were Catseye to use Spirit-Detecting Glance, she will see no trace of Baphinol. Evidently he's returned to his Sanctum, wherever that may be.

With Ryan, Ailera and Quill at their head, the latter assisting with navigation, the exalts and the Crimson Fangs make their way through the ruins, lighting their way with numerous torches. As befitting an area once used as a Shogunate lord's storage facility, the area consists of numerous rooms of various sizes that must have once been used to store things, all connected to each other by stone corridors. Most of the rooms are empty, while others have either partially or fully collapsed in on themselves.

As the group progress through the ruin, they get the impression that the place must have once been a palace of some sort, albeit one of gargantuan scale that would likely take a long time to explore fully. In the absence of any furniture, the most pressing evidence for this comes in the form of a now dried up and empty bathhouse they stumble upon, as well as a room lined with stone ovens that leads into a hall large enough to seat at least a hundred diners.

Exploring the ruin, the group comes across a man-sized hole in the wall, beyond which you see a dirt-walled tunnel. From outside the hole, you can't see where the tunnel leads.

You can safely assume that each of you has a torch, if you don't have/want to use Charms or any other means to find your way in the darkness.

Ailera will move as silently as possible, ranging a short distance ahead in the relative dark of the edge of the torchlight, looking for any traps or other surprises before they have a chance to cause a problem.

Only two successes on my Perception roll thanks to double 9's
Three successes on a Stealth roll. The dice gods are unhappy with me today.
Ailera will activate her Charms of Sensory Acuity Prana and Easily Overlooked Presence Method. That, along with my Shadow Belt, gives me 12 dice for my Stealth rolls along with the effects of the Charms.

The group encounter no traps on the way to the hole. And after some more searching around, they come to what appears to be an entrance hall, within which they see a set of steel double doors that are almost the size of city gates. They are held in place on your side by a stout and sturdy-looking set of bolts, though with a bit of straining they are able to be pulled back. Afterwards it takes the efforts of all the exalts and several of Ryan's men to pull the doors open wide enough for people to get through.

Once on the other side, the group find themselves in a large underground chamber, the walls of which are lined with hundreds - if not thousands - of human femur bones stacked on top of each other like sticks, the visual result of which is a vertical surface seemingly made from countless similarly-shaped stones. Horizontal lines of skulls run along the entirety of the walls, separating the femurs into stacked layers. Looking back at the steel doors, the group will see that each one has an image engraved onto it; the right door showing a knight raising a longsword into the air, the left door showing a sorceress raising a staff with a sun-shaped ornament at the end.

It's at this point that Ysandre recognizes this place as the Catacombs of Elua, the underground ossuary of the city, built long before the time of her great-grandfather. She also recalls that the door was thought by everyone who knew of it to be a single piece of metal embedded within the stone, and that it has resisted all attempts to remove it.

She and the others are still outside the palace, but they are within the city walls now.

Last edited:
Ailera looks around the piles of bones and says, "Well, I have to say that the decor is not quite to my liking, but hey? Who am I to judge?"

"If this rogue solar was able to rule without undo notice, let us hope Ysandre can do the same. Else what we relief we bring to these people could be viciously offset by the retribution to come." He commented.

____

Not being skilled in the art of subtlety, Zedradon elected to stay back enough to be out of the way of the observant front. But... as the traversed the ruin... everything seemed peaceful enough.

As they walked, Zedradon observed the bones, identifying them as he went. "Makes you wonder what they did with all the other bones... the body is more than just skull and femurs. If this place was created to honor people who died... a might rude to only use the the dramatic bits. I wonder what caused so many people to die that they would require such a mass grave."

Ailera looks around the piles of bones and says, "Well, I have to say that the decor is not quite to my liking, but hey? Who am I to judge?"
"It's certainly morbid, but you must admit that it has a certain...aesthetic value to it." says Ganzin, coming over to join Ailera.

As they walked, Zedradon observed the bones, identifying them as he went. "Makes you wonder what they did with all the other bones... the body is more than just skull and femurs. If this place was created to honor people who died... a might rude to only use the the dramatic bits. I wonder what caused so many people to die that they would require such a mass grave."

"All these dead might not be the result of a single incident. Maybe the city ran out of cemetery space over the years and eventually moved all the remains here, rather than just dump them or go to the trouble of sending them all to Sijan." Arumi suggests after hearing the above statement from Zedradon. "As for the other bones, we'll probably find them somewhere around here if we look hard enough."

"Yes, clearly these lands are so overly developed that there isn't any room for another graveyard." The doctor would say with deadpan sarcasm. "But maybe you are right about the other bones... though it tends to be bad luck to spread one's bones out. Their spirit tends not to like it."

Arumi merely shrugs her shoulders. "I'm sure if there was any past trouble with ghosts, Ysandre would know of it. Besides, Nalia largely follows the Immaculate Philosophy. The dead don't stick around, but reincarnate into new bodies."

She then gives a bitter chuckle. "But then again, the Immaculates also believe your kind to be inherently evil."

It is an emotional moment for Ysandre when she steps onto her native soil once more, effectively ending her exile for good or ill. She takes a moment to simply kneel on the grassy hillside and pick a single iris which for whatever reason has not yet lost its leaves despite the season. She tucks it in her armor and moves to the front of the company along with her fellow Lawgivers.

"My being Exalted is a matter of record," she answers Zedradon's unspoken question, "Melisande's is not. As for this place," she addresses all of the others, "it is the Catacombs of Elua. Many who have lived in the city all of their lives do not wish to leave it in death, and so they have been interred beneath it rather than being relegated to the countryside. I realize that the decor seems morbid, but it is our tradition."

"These ruins were long forgotten. Be it the ill humor of fate for there to be shadowlands under ones own feet without even knowing." He said. Just hyperbole, he wasn't being serious in claiming this a shasowland.

"We aren't inherently good, either. As noted by the refuse that sits in Ysandre's throne. I do not know a lot about the history of the exalts... but I do know people. There is nothing tethering me to doing good aside from my own decisions. I maintain that free will even now. People are much the same in that regard."

Zedradon continued speaking as he drew his massive scythe. "I have seen Anathema. True anathema. Actual monsters. Exalts beyond the pale of what is natural. They bear the marks of Solars, but are black and twisted. I lived among them. There is where you will find a greater case for inherent evil."

"That is very kind to make such allowance to people's wishes in their death. But with the context, I don't find it morbid. To those who have loved the city so much, to be made a part of its foundation must then be an honor." He acknowledged to Ysandre. To Zedradon, who was very familiar with the trappings of the underworld, this place was still pretty cheerful in comparison.

With his scythe held in front of him, Zedradon peered through the lens that was its obsidian blade. To see if there were any ghosts present or not.

Ability of Emancipation

If the wielder looks through the glass they can see and speak to any dematerialized Ghosts. As long as the wielder doesn't lose sight of the Ghost(s) he can interact with them as if it they materialized, this extends to striking the spirit with the soulsteel Scythe. Ghosts seeking to hide from the Wielder in combat must re-establish stealth or achieve 100% cover.

Last edited:
Looking around, Zedradon is unable to see any signs of any ghosts within the catacombs.

Pausing to stare at the morbid remains, Quill only gains a measure of relief when Ysandre mentions that these people were buried here so that they can stay within the confines of the city. But he is yet itching, for what he forgot to tell the others, wanting it to be a surprise, is that there may yet be weapons and armor here to reequip their troops, equipment made so exceptional that it survived the ages, or so his sources say. And he yet hoped that they remain hidden here.

It's at that moment that four of Ryan's men - two of the original Crimson Fangs and two of Ganzin's bandits - come running up to where the exalts are gathered.

"What's the rush, you lot?" asks Ganzin, the Fire Aspect looking faintly amused.

"We found something in the ruin." replies one of the men. "A door."

This causes Ganzin to raise an eyebrow. "And why is that such a big deal? We passed dozens of doors in that ruin."

"Well, this one's different." another of the four men replies. "It's locked...and I could swear the lock's made from orichalcum."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back