• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chronicle of the Scavenger Lands (Exalted 3E) - IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
"Let's coordinate whatever aid is needed for the downtrodden. I trust Zedradon is sufficiently motivated to see that work to completion, so if you don't mind, I expect you to take charge on that front." Ryan gave Doc a pat on the shoulder.

"Meanwhile, Ailera, how do you feel about fishing for intelligence on the antagonizing nobles? Once we get things settled, we'll be moving to correct this Count and his Baron in no short order."

Ryan turns to Arumi after Ailera has time to answer. "Given your unique perspective... Is there anything else you care to share that might help the innocent country folk?"

It takes Ailera a moment to realize that Ryan is talking to her; she was kinda bored and was zoning out during the meeting. "Um, yeah. I can slip into the city and start asking around the various criminals in town. They will have a good handle on the local lords and nobles. It may take a day or two in order to make contact, but once I do, I'll have the locals eating out of my hand in short order."

Zedradon nodded at Ryan. "I shall see to it that Ysandre's people get the care they deserve. Worry not, I shall handle that. Any I find with backbone, I shall send them your way as well."

"Ailera, if it is criminals we seek. The Counts realm may be the best bet. If he is lawless as they say, then plenty of corruption and criminals to fester under his watch. I can travel there with you. While you handle the criminals, I can help the people. I will also be in position to help take down the count when the time comes."

"Also, if the Duke is a potential ally, I can send the helped his direction, for those who need it. Assuming we will be sending an emissary to meet with the kindly Duke to let him know, that is."

Ryan turns to Arumi after Ailera has time to answer. "Given your unique perspective... Is there anything else you care to share that might help the innocent country folk?"

Arumi tents her fingers as she considers the question.

"Speaking strategically, as a Dragon-blood of Lookshy, I'd say that the quickest way to help the innocent people would be to kill or otherwise depose the lords who commit and condone the crimes plaguing them. Alternatively, another way would be to remove Quincel and Melisande from power. All of this bloodshed is stemming from their desire to rule Nalia, after all. Were Ysandre to take the throne, she would be in a position to punish and get rid of the corrupt lords."

"Killing the corrupt lords does not in itself ensure a better life for their people," Ysandre with a look across the gathered exalts, "we must also ensure that those who take up the reins afterwards are people of a better character. The moment I set foot in Nalia, the civil war will begin in earnest, and I have no intention of prolonging this conflict longer than absolutely necessary." She looks to Ryan before continuing, "I will depend on you to plan a campaign that will most swiftly bring this to an end, whether that means deposing Monteil and Aliker first or going straight for Quincel and Melisande. Do we have a map of Nalia available?" She asks, addressing Nerrocen. She could probably make a decent sketch from memory, but a proper map would be better.

"Well, we were going to continue south along the river to assemble more troops. The state of affairs here locally is rather rough though. For now, let's just start by lending a helping hand and getting more information to see what we can do without trashing the place."

Nerrocen nods in response to Ysandre's question. "As a matter of fact, we do. A copy of Stroggabochi's Map of The Fair Kingdom of Nalia and its surrounding territories. I'll go and get it."

He leaves the room, and then returns with a scroll of parchment a few minutes later, by which time a space at the table has been cleared in front of Ysandre for the map to go. Rolling it out, Ysandre will see that it displays the location of Nalia's capital Elua, as well as the strongholds - i.e. castles - and territories of the four duchies that serve as its vassals.

Duke Bruneau's stronghold of Montre Nord (North Watch) is located about a week's ride (150 miles) northeast of Elua, and a few hours ride southwest of the Circle's current location. Duke Montiel's stronghold of Roche Blanc (White Rock) is roughly halfway between Elua and Montre Nord (75 miles), with Count Aliker's stronghold - simply named Castel de Aliker - a day's ride (30 miles) west of it.

About 75 miles west of Elua is the castle of Tête de Cerf (Stag's Head), which Ysandre recognizes as the stronghold of Duchess Varlinn. Although a more benevolent ruler than Montiel, she is also a devout follower of the Immaculate Faith, and therefore one of Quincel's allies. Finally, 75 miles south of Elua is the castle of Montre Sud (Southwatch), stronghold of Duke Garmemort. From what Ysandre remembers from both her life in Nalia and Mara's reports, Garmemort is engaged in a feud with Quincel after having been made a cuckold by him a few months before the old king's death, and is therefore among those likely to support Ysandre.

In addition to the lands that are part of Nalia, Stroggabochi's map also shows details of the areas bordering it, including Bayonne and its lands, a large area of land west of Nalia with the ominous name of "Tyrant Lizard Territories", and the lands on the eastern side of Baphinol's river, which are simply referred to on the map as "Barbarian Lands". Baphinol explains that they're the lands of the various eastern tribes that have made war with Nalia in the time since the kingdom's founding.

Quill looks over the map. He didn't have much to contribute thus far, since he wasn't much of a general, and wasn't one for words, not as much as others in this circle were. And the best he could offer the rebellion were... jewellry?!

But poring over the map, something caught his eyes. Sure, Ysandre has done a bit of a drawing of this region, but this map was much better detailed, and so, the dots connected...

Quill exclaims "By the wisdom of Jupiter!" And points at the map "See this plain upon which Elua sits? There's something underneath there. I came across old maps, dated to the Shogunate era, but apparently there are ruins there dating back to the First Age. In the Shogunate Era they were used as a storage facility for the reigning lord, and were apparently buried and lost during the Balorian Crusade. I don't know whether they still contain anything, but they can be used to sneak in a force of hundreds of soldiers into Elua, without having to breach its walls, thus preventing a siege and some of the bloodshed. Right?"

Spending 10 motes on Lore Excellency, and gaining 1 auto success from Harmonious Academic Methodology, and 1 from Lore-Inducing Concentration, and also, reroll all 6s until they no longer appear.
So, 20 dice on the roll

For a total of 16 successes, and the difficulty was 5...

Last edited:
Arumi gives Quill an impressed smile. "That would certainly allow us to get inside the city without having to fight over the walls or through a gatehouse. There'd still be fortifications around the castle that we'd have to deal with, and we'd likely have to fight our way through the streets, but in any event we'd still save a lot of time when taking the city and deprive Elua's defenders of most of their force multipliers."

Quill looks at Arumi, and cocks his head to the side "Unless they have someone fully trained in warfare and leadership, I'd like to think that most of the civilians, and some of their troops would flee if a group of Solars, with some troops, would suddenly appear in the midst of the city." And he shrugs his shoulders, as if to say, but what do I know...

Arumi nods at Quill. "True, I'm not expecting much serious resistance, especially once the city and castle garrisons realize just what exactly they're dealing with."

Thoughout this discussion, Baphinol has remained silent, but now he decides to voice his thoughts. "It sounds as though you and your companions have a feasible plan of attack for retaking your throne, Ysandre. With that in mind, is there anything that you would like me to contribute?" he asks.

"You are sure of this?" Ysandre asks Quill. On the one hand, the Twilight has not led them astray before, on the other learning this about the city she has lived in for most of her life comes as quite the surprise. "We could walk in past the walls and storm the castle itself? Do you know how large the tunnels are, could we bring more than Ryan's men, or would more troops just be in the way?"

Looking to Baphinol, she answers "if we can bypass Elua's walls with Ryan's men, then perhaps the best would be if you could help us sail safely to the entrance point to the ruins Quill mentioned so that we can get there swiftly and without Quincel or Melisande being the wiser of our presence."

Baphinol scratches his chin in response to Ysandre's request. "I can certainly slow down the current for the parts of the river you'll be sailing on. That isn't likely to cause serious disruption on the river or draw the attention of the Immaculates, but it'll still enable you to reach the ruins quicker. Just how many men are you planning to bring?"

"Excluding us Exalted, roughly around two hundred." answers Arumi, thinking of Ryan's men and Ganzin's bandits, and the recent battle at the checkpoint. "Do you think that'll be enough to take the city?"

The river god considers the question. "That's certainly a contingent small enough to sneak to the ruins without being detected, but the city watch of Elua will number at least two thousand." he says. "Still, they won't all be gathered in one place or even all be on duty, if they're not expecting an attack on the city. If you can get inside and then take the palace, you should be able to hold it against the watch, assuming you know how to defend a fortified position."

He and Arumi both look at Ryan and Axtis, the two Dawn Castes of the Circle, as if expecting them to answer affirmatively.

Axtis nods. "With our abilities, we will most certainly be able to hold the palace even with the small amount of troops that we have. If the Watch continues to press, it will be a bloodbath on their part, facing off against so many Chosen."

"I am more interested in arriving without being seen than in arriving quickly," Ysandre says to Baphinol, "though of course the two are related. As regards the city, it is my hope that once Quincel and Melisande have been ousted, I will be able to sway the watch and the army to our side. After that, we can bring lords Monteil and Aliker to justice and alleviate the suffering of the common people."

Baphinol nods in understanding. "As long as you don't draw attention to yourself during the journey, you should be able to make it to Elua on your ship without anyone knowing that you're coming." he replies.

Sensing his opportunity, Quill clears his throat "Forgive me Baphinol the Wine-Eyed, but there is one extra matter that I was interested in talking to you about." And he pauses, a bit uncertain. "The gift I gave you is one of my highest achievements to date, but I am still learning the art of crafting at such high level, and I plan to reach higher than that. Should we make a successful bid for the throne, I was wondering you would be willing to grant me a boon. In order to make the kingdom of Nalia prosper under it's rightful queen, I plan to eventually craft an Artifact crown, and I wish to endow it with the blessings of Nalia's foremost gods and goddesses, and you rank amongst them. Will you do me this honor?"

Baphinol looks intrigued by the request. "I can certainly bless it. Is there anything in particular you or Ysandre would like regarding this blessing?"

Baphinol gives a smile of his own. "Very well. Once you begin construction of the crown, I will happily bless it. I will ask nothing in return; Besides having nothing that I really need at this point, I feel that all I could reasonably ask for is that Ysandre help repair the damage done to the riverside communities that worshiped me before being sacked and destroyed. And I imagine that she will do that anyway, regardless of whether or not I ask her to do so."

"Construction and repair is not my forte. However, I shall see to the people of the river communities as well, that their health will be taken care of. No doubt this reign has been hard on them, as it has for everyone." Zedradon said, speaking up.

"But what of you personally, Baphinol?" The doctor asked. Just as Zed would help the people, he wasnt going to neglect the well being of the one that cared for them even if that one was a god.

"Can't say I've personally been affected much." replies Baphinol. "My only losses have been that many Nalian peasants who worshiped me were killed in the strife following Quincel's takeover. But Nalia's hardly the only civilization located along the banks of my river, and in any case I never really got much worship from there anyway due to the prevalence of the Immaculate Philosophy, which discourages people from bloating us with worship."

"I have no problem traveling to those who need help. If I can, I will take a trip down the river to check on them as well, and give them your regards as to their well being." Zed offered.

"As you wish." replies Baphinol, though he appears to not be nearly as grateful for the offer as one might expect. Evidently he hears himself, because he sighs and has the grace to look slightly guilty.

"Forgive me, Zedradon. I must come off as insensitive to one who was once a mortal themselves not long ago. But the truth is that as a whole, I have never felt any particular bond towards the humans of my river, having not been one myself, and knowing as I do that each one will inevitably die within several decades of their birth. I have simply not seen the point."

Rather than being offended, or disapproving, the doctor simply responded with a smile. "It is okay. It is not always easy to grasp the scale of things one hasn't experienced personally. And even then, it is a task."

Zedradon leaned back, thoughtful. "Mortal. I suppose I am not anymore. But I do my sense of scale hasn't changed. I still feel mortal. Maybe there isn't any difference .its just a word after all. Having never experienced death personally, I might as well have been immortal back then and didn't know it."

"Even now I have no grasp on immortality. I can't fathom it. I have not experienced eternity to understand it. To me it is like looking up at a night sky. Awe worthy for sure, but subdued after seeing the same sight for so long. Every now and then a lovely moon or a shooting star grabs my attention. But mostly... nothing. I do not see the eternity therein. Nor how all of Celestia fits together in its grand design. I see emptiness. Eternal, yet... stagnant. Moving so slow that it feels like it might as well not be moving at all."

"That makes it a matter of what one can perceive, then, doesnt it? And perception is always fallible, for it is in its nature, situational."

"Fleeting. I think that would be a very fair way for you to look at us. I suppose we are. But when I compare it to, say, the river. Your river will always be there. Always moving. Its effects on the world both slow and steady. In many years it will carve a canyon and grow wider and deeper. Yet no mortal will ever live long enough to see any difference. How then can we even notice or appreciate it?"

"It is because we are fleeting that we can see all the equally fleeting nuances of it and what it provides. We know the plants the water provides for. They grow and die and provide food and thatch. The fish. They migrate and live a cycle more fleeting than ours. We know the fish and rely on them for food. The river, we use it for transport. To sail and swim. For water to drink and make us healthy and clean."

"I suppose you can think of mortals as but condensed packets of what you experience. Our eternity is a lifetime, and in that lifetime we do things we consider as grand as what you consider you do. With our hands, we can tear down a mountain faster than the wind and rain can wear it down to plains. With our hands we can create rivers in a fraction of what it takes a tiny stream to do it in. Equally fast we can use our hands to stop it. Most of these works are equally fleeting, but... back to the night sky. These are the rising moon and shooting stars."

"I know the span of mortality all too well. I am a doctor. The fragility of life is something I know intimately. A fool's gambit, perhaps, because death will always win in the end. It is only a matter of time." He chuckled. "And one thing I have learned sense my study into medicine, is that I have found as much awe in looking up at the sky as I do in looking down to things more fleeting than me."

"Things so much smaller than me. Things so small I can't even see them without great effort. Diseases. Insects. Plants. Chemicals. How could I have ever have missed such things when they held such great power to sway things? They are so small they dont matter. Their life cycles so short mortals cant help but think of them as collectives."

"I look at a body... every pure and wrinkle and hair. How stupid would I be to name each one individually? How can I even comprehend doing such a thing? But the deeper I have looked, the more complexity I found I had never known. That muscles are but individual fibers doing many different things. The veins are such a length and complexity that they are labyrinthine to even the greatest mind. No explorer could map them. Nerves are just as expansive, all the things they can sense and control and so much more. All of these things come together to make me. Am I any one system in particular? Or am I all of them? That is even without getting lost into what is known as the human mind. That which can bear profound thoughts so fleeting that not even we notice when they pass by."

Zedradon shook his head and held up a hand, "My apologies. I was rambling." With another chuckle. "Simple musings is all."

The doctor smiled, "Anyway, you said you see no point to bond with them. Yet, you find it in yourself to still care enough to ask us to take care of them. To help them. Even knowing they will not last. I think that goes to show that you have a bond with them that you don't recognize. Almost as if you see have a subconscious feeling that they are part of you."

"When I travel there, to check on them. Why don't you come with me? A short journey for no other reason than you can." He offered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back