• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chronicle of the Scavenger Lands (Exalted 3E) - IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
After a moment of reflection, Axtis says, "As for what I'm looking for? Something worth fighting for. Something worthy of a Solar Exalt."

He nodded at Lyla,"It is nice to meet you too Lyla. So you have a boyfriend? Congratulations to you both on your proclivities. Be sure to practice safe sex, chlamydia and syphilis has been making its round in these parts. I have also been coming across a rising number of cases of kissing disease on my way here. So be sure to keep your hands washed." He said as he sipped at his stew. His deadpan deliver made it hard to be clear on if he was saying this to tease her or if it was sincere doctory advice. "Prevention is the best medicine. "he added. Likely the latter.

As he listened to Ryan, he nodded. "That does seem to be the pattern. I like to look of it as a sign of his mercy. Though he expects great things from us, he is there in times of dire need."

As Ryan let his show, so too would Zedradon let his mark of the twilight show in response. "I have little to hide, Commander. I have a greater duty to those who need aid than I have to my own safety. Though do not think me careless or helpless. I can not heal them if I am not alive to do so. Not to mention, you have your own hints as to who it is that you truly are."

The doctor leaned backwards slightly. "As i have stated, my hands seek to heal so that is what I intend to do. A great many troubles have afflicted creation, and not just that of poison or disease. Thorns is one such example, and I wish for my touch to extend for more than just people. With Thorns succumbing to the blight of the abyss, more are bound to follow and I must be prepared. You ask of my resolve, but I care little for what I have personally lost. Nor does revenge tickle my fancy. There is healing to be done that transcends that, and maladies to be overcome that have since long been unhealable. And as of now, I am simply am seeking to become strong enough and knowledgeable enough to do just that."

Zedradon returned Ryan's look. "And what of you, Commander? What is it that you are looking for? Not the goals of your Company, but you as champion of the Unconquered Sun. What is it that drives you to do the things that you do?" He asked.

Ailera glances over at Ysandre and Ryan, thinking that this might be a gift from the Unconquered Sun himself. A pair of Solar Exalted, one a doctor and one a archer/warrior? Sounds like something that we could really use in this upcoming fight.

Ryan merely laughed at the doctor's abrasive jab. Both Zedradon and Axtis seemed a decent enough sort, so he saw no need to hide his own motives."I know it's petty, but I aim to kill the ones that murdered my liege and his family. They were good, kind rulers to us, even when I was but a farmer's boy. Until Alsein is rid of the infestation from Rouen, I intend to keep raising my army to give my brothers in arms their home back. I can't say I've really settled on what I intend to do after that. I have a bit of bad luck with being drafted into never-ending wars. Perhaps I'll continue on with the friends I've made here on the road, helping them make their way as I'll have made mine. I did make a promise to Ganzin and his men we'd lead them to accomplish deeds of legend after all. I suppose I should strive to keep it."

Ganzin does a little nod of his head to acknowledge Ryan's use of his name, as Lyla gives the doctor a small grin. "You don't need to lecture me on such matters. Ryan's hardly the first person I've been with." she said.

The woman of the Guild looks at Axtis. "Besides liberating the homeland of Ryan here, we also seek to install the Queen of Nalia upon her rightful throne. Would you consider either of those causes worth fighting for, or worthy of a Solar?" she asks, sounding curious.

Axtis pulls out a flask from her pack and takes a drink, obviously thinking about her response. "That would depend upon the Queen. Is she a righteous person? Or was she a tyrant that was deposed because she was hated by her people, and was thrown out? I would not wish to be a part of a plan to advance a Abyssal in a grab for power, for instance."

Ryan sighed, not wanting to have to force someone speak of their own virtues. Nor to listen to such an exercise of one's ego. Still, if he was being honest, he had no idea how Ysandre intended to rule. Yet he had little cause to suspect her of foul intentions.

"From my understanding... Ysandre was deposed on accusations of being a Solar to sate her brother's appetite for the throne and inheritance. I presume his pride dictated he act on whatever ambitions he'd been harboring over the years." Ryan made a dismissive waving gesture. "It makes no difference in the details really. All of that drama doesn't really concern me. What does concern me is deposing individuals perpetuating an environment that makes it cumbersome for us to operate. The act of humoring Immaculate myths of the Anathema has to stop one way or another if you and I wish to enjoy what time we've been alotted, Lady Axtis. I have no doubt we'd agree on that. Perhaps when we have carved out a little more room to stretch we can discuss loftier heights to reach towards. What with Catseye and the good doctor here, I suspect a siege of Thorns will be lobbied for at some point. Seems as good a path as any to me, should it come to that."

Ryan sat up from his hunched posture, moving his gaze from the flickering glow of the campfire to stretch. He added a log to the base of the fading pyre with a lazy toss. "I've prattled on long enough. You're fairly new to our ranks, Ailera, Ganzin. Either of you care to weigh in on our little venture or plans for the future?"

Ailera looks somewhat surprised at being called out like that, but she quickly recovers. "Well, I cannot comment on her actual style of rule, but I can comment on the woman herself. From the time that we have traveled together, I have gotten to know Ysandre a bit, not enough to be called bosom buddies or anything, but I have a level of respect for her that I did not have before we met. She tries her best for the good of those around her. She may not always be right, but who is? Even so, she learns from her mistakes and makes up for it, working hard to be a good woman. I like her."

Earlier, Lyla had mentioned the group's intention of supporting Ysandre without revealing to the two newest Solars that the woman herself was sitting at the campfire; she wanted to leave that choice up to Ysandre herself.

Upon Axtis asking her questions about Ysandre, Lyla is able to avoid giving anything away, but Ganzin can't help subconsciously glancing towards the Zenith Caste.

When Ryan asks him and Ailera for their thoughts, the Fire Aspect gives a shrug. "I don't know her too well, and truth be told, I'm not too bothered about what kind of Queen she is. I'm pretty much sworn to you now, so if you think that restoring her to power will work out for us, then I'm behind you."

"There's another way to look at things," Catseye volunteers.

"Ysandre will wield power. Anyone Chosen by the Unconquered Sun will, inevitably. Whether you believe the Immaculates or the Cult of the Illuminated or one of the thousand heresies, there's no such thing as a Lawgiver who doesn't impose a law of some kind at some point. Now, I can offer my own testimonial as to what kind of woman I judge her to be but assessments of character aren't perfect. What people say or say they'll do doesn't matter as much as what they actually do. The facts matter."

Now, Ysandre comes from Nalia. That's another fact. And people see their own differently than they see anyone else. Which makes this," the Eclipse smiles ruefully, "A rather long winded way of me saying 'if she'll rule anywhere, and she will rule, it's best for her to rule the people she already knows and loves'. Any nation whose lands were taken and administered by Thorns or the Realm can testify to their resentment of imposed rule. And any nation dependent on Lookshy, any country or tribe who has to listen to Lookshy because they can't afford not to, would also agree that no one likes to listen to an outsider. Ysandre's one of Nalia's own and the likelihood is that she'll do better by them than she'll do by anyone else."

Axtis nods to herself. "A Queen that people speak well of is a good thing; even better when this queen is a Exalt herself. I have been on the move for years, trying to stay one step ahead of the fanatics of the Immaculate Order and their Wyld Hunt. If this Queen Ysandre is going to step forward and rule openly as a Solar, and be willing to risk herself for the assassins that will surely come for her when she does so, I can see myself raising my bow arm to support such a cause and help win the throne for her."

Ryan smiles, appreciating the sincerity of Ailera and Ganzin. When Axtis spoke of open rule, he began to show his concern. "I'm not sure that will be the case, openly ruling as a Solar, anyway. However, completing our mission will at least serve to undermine the influence of Immaculates within the Hundred Kingdoms, as will many of our other ventures. I can only speak for my company when I say this, but we, the Crimson Fangs, would be happy to add any Exalts to our ranks. If you find common cause with us then you are welcome to join us if you wish. Same for the Doctor and your unicorn friend."

It is an enlightening experience, Ysandre thinks silently to herself as the conversation moves in her direction, to hear others talk about oneself almost as if one wasn't there.

"There were Immaculates present when the Unconquered Sun first spoke to me," Ysandre says simply, "it is not a secret I could possibly keep even if I wanted to. That said, I see little benefit to flaunting my nature and provoking retaliation from Greyfalls and Lookshy. As for the succession, it is not quite as clear-cut as Ryan makes it out to be, but suffice it to say that my brother wants me dead. For me to go home, he must either die or change his mind quite thoroughly." She pauses and looks up at the assembled Exalts and says with conviction, "I will not be an exile forever."

Zedradon listened silently, watching the explanations and pondering on them, until the beautiful woman revealed herself as the exalt of the topic in question.

"Lawbringers that we may be, it would be foolhardy to believe we are not as capable to bring great harm as we are to bring great good. And to tread recklessly, even the most well intended Solar can leave behind a wake of destruction. But that should not stop them from doing what needs to be done. And fixing this world is one such thing."

"To be honest, politics and the rules of the betters interests me not. Nor does the whim people of power hold sway over me. I've had enough of that to last me a lifetime."

"That being said, this circle seems like good people to me. And should Axtis choose, I shall go with her, and she has been a friend to me so far. And I would be a poor friend to leave just cause of something so minor. After all, such an uprising brings with it it's own problems to the people below. While I may not currently resonate with your grievances of the throne, what I can understand is the feeling being barred from ones own home. I'm no tactition or politician, but what I can offer you is that so long as I am around that I will ease what suffering of your people that I can. So that you may fight knowing that I will give them care."

The doctor gave Ysandre a small smile, "I am willing to help see you get home. Ask for it, and you will receive it." His smile faded to seriousness. "But you need to know, that I may lay my hands on your enemies just as quickly as your allies. And I will not let someone stand between me and someone who needs my care. Even if it was some horrid Immaculate that has cursed your name since your were five. But also know, that even if that happens, you will not have to question that I would turn against you otherwise."

He looked over to the Commander, "That goes for you as well, Ryan. My scythe will fall on your enemies with dedication to win. But when the battles are over, I will see that the soldiers of both sides are treated."

Zedradon allowed himself another smile at the contradiction. One he found morbidly funny. Just because he was out to save lives, didnt mean he wasnt willing to take them. And that he had no qualms about reattaching an arm he had severed just minutes before.

Last edited:
Ryan smiled as the warmth of the fire washed over him from the extra fuel. "All of that sounds fine to me, Zedradon and Axtis. Before you'd arrived we were still discussing our movements... So here are the standing orders briefly. We check in with Mara by tomorrow morning. If we even can travel south by ship now, we need to move without causing Nalia to suspect an impending invasion from military vessels in the area. In order to take the ships past the checkpoints, it will have to be under the pretense of commerce. We can acquire goods both here from Feren, and by other trading posts along the river."

Ryan took a stick and traced lines representing the rivers. "As Ailera and I have indicated, there will be blockade checkpoints along the rivers. We will need to keep Ysandre out of their sight. Preferably, I'd like to keep all of us Solars out of their sight. It takes only one spirit or god-blooded inspector to ruin the whole game, not even counting other Exalted which are known to exist along this river. Our new guests here just proved that. Priority is discretion and minimizing risk of compromising a delicate operation. So we will need to disembark prior to these checkpoints and march by land. I believe we should use this time to harden and expand our ranks with the addition of the Dragon-Blooded of the east coast. With Zedradon among us, we should be able to minimize any casualties."

Ryan threw the stick into the fire then turned. "Unless there is other intelligence we haven't considered, let that settle overnight and we'll tune our plan as more information is available in the morning. Corporal Fargus, and Corporal Brenleigh, see to it that our new guests have shelter for the night."

Ysandre nods at Zedradon's words. "I want no more blood shed than is necessary and have no issue with you rendering aid to our defeated foes. If you are still willing to offer it, your assistance would be greatly appreciated."

With a look over at the good Doctor, Axtis nods. "Very well. The three of us will see what help we can offer to your cause."

With the discussions concluded for the time being, the two corporals of Ryan's quickly find tents and bedrolls for Zedradon and Axtis, while everyone else turns in for the night. Naturally, Lyla shares Ryan's tent and bedroll.

15th of Ascending Air, Realm Year 768, Early Morning
(11 days after Mara's departure)

A new day dawns upon the camp. Ryan lies atop his bedroll, Lyla sleeping soundly while cuddling up next to him and resting her head on his chest, her mouth turned up in a little smile of contentment.

Where is everyone else at the moment? And what are you up to now?

Ryan was still a bit thrown off from the physically ingrained habit of rising early. Whether it was living on a farm, training in the militia, or fighting alongside his fellow knights in the field. It's seemed like every day of his life his natural rhythm forced him to awaken near the break of dawn. This was another morning that reminded him of just how different life had become in the time since his second breath. Now that he found himself in a rapidly developing relationship, things seemed to grow more complicated yet.

He noticed himself returning to the land of the conscious still somewhat dazed and clinging to sleep, yet there was the pleasant warmth of Lyla at his side. Waking with company was still an unusual experience for him. This was only the dawning of the third day since their meeting. To his credit, it didn't jolt him awake this time. It had seemed like they had been courting for weeks what with how much time they had together on the journey back to camp. It was then that Ryan caught a glimpse of the smile on her face. He noticed his heart attempt to climb up his throat with a flutter of activity. Even the implication that their entanglements were for the better left him happy with his role in derailing her life's course.

And yet, the morning sun crept up from its resting place. Rather than leap up to his duties, Ryan pulled Lyla closer and settled in to relax a while longer than he normally would. He was a man who had little time or chance to attract a lover over his short years. Since that was only a recent change, he decided he wanted to cherish this gift while she was present with him. How long she would tolerate such things was anyone's guess but to say that he was grateful was certainly an understatement. Patience was an easy thing to give in the wake of all that she had freely given up to be here at his side.

[tldr; Ryan is figuring out what sleeping in feels like.]

Last edited:
Axtis rose early as she normally does, and she heads off to find where the horses were picketed at, so she could take a small treat to Majherri and spend some time grooming her friend. She spends a few minutes talking to the unicorn, telling him about the decisions made to work with the others to put the deposed queen back on her throne. "It should be quite the fight ahead of us. A real chance for us to shine."

I am glad for you. Personally, I could do with more of those apples you have in your pack.

"You greedy gut. Didn't they give you enough oats last night? I saw the porters feed you."

Yes, but I must keep my strength up. I can never tell when my next meal will be, so I need to make sure I'm set for a while, just in case.

"Yeah, that's the reason. Not like you have a sweet tooth, and just like apples, huh?"

<chuckle> You know me too well, my friend. Just hand over that apple, and no one gets trampled today.

"Here you go, you silly man."

Ailera does not rise early. She has an agreement with her blankets, and if she gets up too soon, it will betray their trust in her. But eventually, the call of nature and her rumbling stomach drives her out of her soft bedroll and out to relieve herself, then to the kitchens to find some food. She ends up with a goodly sized plate of food, sitting down with a small group of the soldiers that may be around the area, getting to know them better. Ailera wants to get a good feel for the pulse of the soldiers around them, trying to get a good read on their morale, and try to boost any flagging spirits that may be felt by them before it can really take root and fester in the hearts of the men.

For Catseye, the dawn of a new day finds her already awake in her tent.

She spent her night restless, caught by dreams of a fallen Thorns, of all of their ancestors still trapped in a newly forged Shadowland. Catseye rubs her eyes, slightly red-rimmed from a paucity of sleep and an abundance of regret stirred up by meeting Zedradon. It'd been nice to talk to someone who knew where she was from, who felt the pain of its loss as she had. But a pain remembered was fresh pain, in its way.

Here she meant to help put a Queen on her throne but all the while the survivors of Thorns were prisoners of their conquerors.

As men and women arise, mortals and Exalts alike, she sits at the entrance to her tent and lets breakfast pass her by. When others begin to take up the camp, the Eclipse rises at last and snaps her fingers to compel a bound domestic spirit to pack up her things. Catseye's normally sociable but it's plain to anyone who looks at her that she's had a hard night and is less talkative than usual.

With Ryan...
Feeling Ryan stir and pull her closer, Lyla sighs happily and nuzzles herself against his bare chest, her eyes still closed.

"Mmm...I don't know about you, but I slept like a log." she whispers to Ryan. "Didn't think I'd manage; this is a far cry from my bedroom in the villa, or even the cabin of my yacht..."

With Ailera...
The soldiers who Ailera talks with are still loyal to Ryan and more than willing to keep following him, and from what they say the rest of the 'original' Crimson Fangs are more or less the same. As for Ganzin's bandits - two of whom are with Ailera's small group - they're still happy to serve Ryan's cause, though Ailera gets the impression that it's more out of loyalty towards Ganzin.

With Catseye...
As the Eclipse caste sorcerer gets to packing up, a small messenger spirit appears in front of her, its six wings slowly flapping as it hovers above ground and delivers its message in an unfamiliar voice.
Catseye Kishan, this message has been sent to you by the sorcerer Pierre de Pizan, at the request of Mara of Elivan.

Hey Catseye. It's the captain here, with what I've found out so far. Pay attention, because as you well know, I'm not going to be able to repeat myself here.

The crew and I arrived in Elua, the capital of Nalia, two days ago. From what I've learnt so far, there haven't been any serious changes for the common people since Quincel came to the throne; whatever else he is, it seems he's not a tyrannical despot. That said, many people who felt that Ysandre should be the ruling monarch have been arrested, both commoner and noble, and a few of them were even executed for treason.

Also, many of those I've talked to have noticed a considerably greater presence of Immaculate monks on the streets following the old king's death, whereas before they were a rarity. I've seen a number of them myself, typically preaching the Noble Insights and Diligent Practices, as well as trying to get people to stop worshiping Venus in accordance with the Second Diligent Practice. Naturally they've come into conflict with the city's priesthood of Venus on multiple occasions, though so far the city watch has broken such confrontations up before they could escalate into physical violence. Still, I fear it's only a matter of time.

When I ask for opinions on both Quincel and Ysandre, for every two people who believe that Ysandre is kin to demons, or that she murdered the previous king, or that she should have never been in line for the throne in the first place, there's one who either doesn't buy the whole demon angle, or thinks that Quincel murdered his father to take power and is using Ysandre as a scapegoat. Of course, there might be people in the latter category who don't want to reveal their true beliefs for fear of being punished as traitors.

One thing that I thought might be of note is that the king has married since he took the throne. The ceremony took place a week before we arrived, in the. There was a royal procession through the streets, a festival in the city square, the works. The bride's the ruler of the nearby duchy of Bayonne, and her name is Melisande. She claims descent from the Maiden of Secrets, though I don't know much more about her than that. Perhaps our blonde friend will.

I will continue making enquiries and doing what else I can. If you and the rest of our mutual friends need anything more from me, you just have to send me a message like this one.

Until we meet again
Mara
Upon delivering its message, the messenger spirit dissipates into nothingness.

It is still strange for Ysandre to wake up in the morning and have nothing particularly pressing to do. At home, there were endless lessons, meetings, and of music and plays and friends and other things to delight a young princess. In her first time on the road, there was the need to keep moving and to stay ahead of the threat posed by Quincel and the Immaculate Order. Thus, on this particular morning, Ysandre finds herself wandering the camp keeping half an ear on the soldiers' conversations and with an eye out for any of her fellow exalts who may be up already.

The doctor woke up early enough. This would be his first morning to see all who was part of this company. Thusly, Zedradon sat on his rolled up bed roll, with a bowl of whatever breakfast was at his side.

The doctors, focus, however, was on people watching. Glance from one soldier to the next, observing how they wake and what sort of energy they woke up with. Seeing how many are and how many skipped breakfast. Looking around for obvious wounds and scars or signs of rashes or coughs for those brave enough to walk around in their small clothes.

Nosy? But of course. If he was to be caring for these folk, he wanted to get a jump on things. To get an idea of the general health and energy of the unit. Obviously he would get familiar with it over a period of time, but this was how it started. Even the exalts here were new to him, and patterns of behavior were important to spotting health problems. And should this unit get bigger, such a thing would become even more important to find and stop issues before they start. And yes this did extend to the exalts. Powerful though they may he, even those of the sun could succumb to ailments of the mortal world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back