Other ❝ character sheets , what say you ? 「 yes/no 」❞

deer

ғɪɴᴅ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴡɪɴɢs & sᴏᴀʀ
What are your thoughts?
Introduction
Character Sheets? Character Sign-up? Character Application? Character Blurbs? Detailed character sheets? Vague character sheets? Do you like character sheets? Yay? Nay? Do you prefer to make a full, detailed character sheet [basic information, persona, biography, miscellaneous, other]? Why or why not? Does it depend on the genre of the roleplay and what the roleplay entails? Or, is this just the "norm" of how you organise or create a character?

Background
I remember the first time I heard about "roleplaying". It was such a new world to me and who would have thought it could, as cliche as it sounds, change my life? It was absolutely engaging and enjoyable to create these being and these worlds from my imagination and bring them to life! I was always a daydreamer and so my imagination always ran wild. So, having the ability to let my imagination run free was liberating. As my friend integrated me into the world of roleplaying, she walked me through the process of this whole new world that she created herself, giving me the plot of her roleplay. Once I knew the synopsis of the story that we were getting into, the next part was character creating. So, she gave me a basic formula sheet that entailed basic information, persona, and biography. Once both of us finished creating our character, it was time to dive right into the roleplay!

So, for the longest time, I always thought that the only way to create a character or be part of a roleplay was through these requirements and criteria of a character sheet given to me by someone else. I thought each requirement was needed in order to be accepted into a roleplay which included the biography. So, this brings me to the main point of the thread aside from character sheets itself but also character biographies and personalities.

When I was roleplaying with my friend, I always thought it was a must to have your character's biography and personality in your character sheet. I remember when other people wanted to join the roleplay my friend and I created together that we both required the players to be absolutely detailed with their sheets, not leaving anything blank. Although most complied, there were some who refused to do character biographies as they wanted to save their character's backstory reveal for the roleplay. Of course, being new to roleplaying and not knowing any other 'ideas' at the time, my friend and I refused to have that. We needed to know at least some history of the character and some depth of said character before they roleplayed in the world we created. It was a norm for us and just a complete must. While we preferred detailed character sheets and others may have experienced character sheets in which they didn't need to put too much detail to save for the story, our perspective was different. If the person kept refusing, despite telling their reasons to why they didn't want to finish a certain part of the character sheet, we thought the person just didn't want to add depth to their character and were just being too lazy. And, as bad as that sounds, that was just how our thought process was way back when.

Now, time skip forward to about three years later. I never realised how much my perspective changed regarding character sheets and creating characters. I personally love character making. Like, I honestly have an addiction to making characters. It's unbelievable. Nevertheless, I figured I would stop boring you guys with too much details - unless you'd like to hear more and the reason why my perspective changed, feel free to ask. I have found myself feeling as if filling out character sheet requirements have become quite the hassle. Perhaps it is because of my "laziness" or quite frankly, especially in group roleplays, I have seen roleplays die during the character making process that it just hurts to put so much time into a character sheet for the roleplay to not even begin. At the same time, I feel the dread and tiredness from keeping up with character sheet requirements and what's needed to be considered acceptable or up to par with others. I used to absolutely love in-depth character sheets that gave me a better idea of the character. But, I also feel that writing out personalities to my characters can be a hard as sometimes it's incredibly frustrating to try to describe my character's persona within the limits of a character sheet itself.​

Discussion
Currently, my preferred method is writing blurbs about the character I'm creating. And, as life would have it, I have done a 180. Remember when I first talked about how there were some players who wanted to keep their backstory a mystery from the character sheet and asked if it could be revealed in the roleplay? Well, guess what? I have softened up to the idea and I quite frankly, love that idea now. It allows the players to give a more genuine reaction to the character, in my personal opinion. I also find it really interesting to slowly find out a character's personality and backstory from just what little the character blurbs are given. Of course with these backstory reveal and character blurbs, it would require perhaps "trust" within the group roleplay where the character itself shouldn't be a "mary sue" or a "gary sue" and etc., I believe.

But, nevertheless, to add-on to the questions in the introduction, what is your preferred method of creating characters? Character blurbs [ just 3-5 sentence of information of your character ], character sheets [vague or detailed], or character applications [ information of your character such as name, age, gender, role and perhaps the idea you're leaning towards for your character ]? Or, do you completely never use these character methods, skipping the process, and just diving right into roleplaying?​

Last edited:
I do largely 1x1 roleplays so character sheets aren't really necessary for a lot of my roleplays.

I'd say I probably do something between a blurb and an application for most of my characters.

Not so much their name but basically a paragraph or so describing them for the purposes of the plot.

I mean if the name/age/etc. is relevant to the plot I'll add that as well but if it's not really important you'll find it out in the roleplay itself.

I usually saw character sheets as a method for the GM to make sure you understand their world/setting and to make sure that your character fit with the rest of the characters.

Last edited:
I don't like to be too detail-crazy or too vague when creating a character, and I prefer to make the character sheet template say as little as possible, while still leaving room for plenty of detail. I don't like to add much parts like personality, skills, or anything else that could possibly be condensed into one section. I've got an example of what I prefer to do in this spoiler:

G10XWCe.png

There's a lot of things I've thought about in this section, like making gender (and sometimes age) implied, condensing various details into one entire section, and also granting slightly more freedom and characterization with sections such as "Labels" which can be purposed to include various things from your character's class to their favorite hobbies. It's one of the parts where you would go, "What would my character prefer to use for this section?"

I'm thinking of doing the same renamable section deal with the Backstory part, allowing it to be called various other things. If your character is a history nut or lorehound, maybe they'll call it Biography, Lore, History, etc. If their attitude is predominantly wistful or nostalgic, maybe they could call it Recollections or Memories. And if they're just too lazy to care, it's called Bio, Story, or Info and that's really it.
I dunno, I just wanted to see if I could add a little more character into those particular parts of the character sheet.

rae2nerdy rae2nerdy ; Thank you so much for putting time into reading the discussion thread and then adding your opinions!
I completely understand where you're coming from since I do the same for one x one roleplays!

So, the structure and organisation of roleplay was completely different to what I was used to before coming to RPNation. It is a little hard to explain but I'll give it a twirl! So, basically, it was on this site where you could create this "group". Inside the group that you could create with it's own little avatar, had forums for you to create, much like the style of threads and whatnot [without the ratings] of RPN. Anyways, the roleplay was done in many different threads of your choosing - inside the group - depending on the thread setting provided. So, sometimes the roleplay was one x one with another or another person could jump into the roleplay [with permission or without, depending on the two people roleplaying]. On the other hand, there's a character thread section for people to look at your characters and pick and choose which character they'd like to roleplay with that were made for said roleplay!

So, when I came to RPN and I looked for a one x one roleplay to test the waters, I was completely taken aback with the idea of not making the "normal" or rather "traditional" character sheet. It was completely a new experience to me. But, of course, now that I'm much better at navigating and used to roleplaying on this site, having a fully detailed character sheet made for a one x one is definitely not necessary to me, in my opinion as I completely do the same thing as you!

Also, oui ! I believe in having character sheets for group roleplays woudl definitely help GMs know that the characters being made are fit for the setting, especially ones that are lore-based and have certain criterias!
[I apologise for the long response and thank you once more !]

official clown business official clown business ; Thank you so much for reading my long introduction and writing your opinions!
I just want to first start off by saying, "Wow!" Your example of creating your character sheet in your character's perspective is definitely something that I could totally get on board with and absolutely love! I never thought to change the names of the "criteria/section/label" list such as "basic information", "persona", "history", etc. etc. I have had my character input their "perspectives" into my character sheet before though! For example, if I'm working on a character and I come across the point of the "personality" section. I could hear - that might sound odd - my character saying something along the lines of, "Obviously, a grade-A personality. That's all they need to know, duh!" and that could give me a huge key in what my character is like! And, honestly, it helps so much!

Oh my goodness! Memories and Collections instead of Biography or "Her"story sounds really amazing! I honestly would have to try and test that out! Thank you so much for the well-thought ideas and creativity that you've shared with me!

Corey sounds really interesting and the roleplay, itself, sounds pretty neat as well! I love it! Currently, my "character sheet" style is in the style of what you have currently! I used to make my characters very detailed - and perhaps, I still do now, depending who I am roleplaying with and the group roleplay that I am joining. But, nevertheless, I like it! It's definitely not too detailed but not too vagued. "It's juuuuuuust right!"

Sidenote: I love how you wrote "how do you I do character sheets" and 10 points to [insert the House you're in] if you're able to get the reference!

Your background definitely reminds me a lot of myself in my earlier days of roleplaying. Someone would give me specific guidelines, I'd fill them out, and that was that! Looking back on it now, I think it limited me in certain ways. Instead of being forced to think for myself, to think critically about my character and their values , what made them who they were, I was focused on their eye color, and how tall they were. These are completely unnecessary details that tell us almost nothing about a character beyond the physical, but I digress.

Now, I definitely do a lot more 1x1 and a lot less group-style rp, and I almost never make a character sheet. If it's required, sure, I'll fill it out. Or if someone requests a vague description (which I know can help some decide on their own character), I have no problem with that. Personally, though, I just prefer to reveal details about my character naturally through my writing. I think in my introductory posts I give a pretty general sense of what my character is like, and then slowly reveal more, and delve deeper, as the rp progresses. It feels a lot more natural for me to write this way. It's also a lot more similar to how actual novels and literature are created, so it gives a more sophisticated feeling to the writing (I don't mean that in a snobbish way, just that it sounds more mature lol).

I usually adapt to whatever template the RP creator specifies, but my prefered way to organize it is one paragraph for each of the personality (including a small part about how they think of themselves), physical appearance and backstory sections. I also may put stuff like allignment (chaotic, lawful, that kind of thing) and maybe even a few other facts (likes, dislikes, etc.) if I'm feeling inspired and if they fit with the setting. I prefer to also include an image to show how my character looks like, to add to the physical appearance part.

I used to go really in depth when writing a character sheet, but now I prefer being more succinct. I don't want to invest too much into writing a character and have even more wasted inspiration when the RP dies off (haven't been in one that didn't become inactive early on, unfortunately, so I can't help the pessimism), and filtering some information gives me more material to expand on later on. I dislike having to include exact heigh and weight, feels unnecessary when "taller than average" works perfectly fine, and am not a fan of hard limits on post/section length either.

Being vague is fine, as is not revealing things that your character also doesn't know. But I don't like it when people try to be "mysterious" on their character sheet. The character sheet is where you present your character and how you provide a preview of what your writing style/skills are, and saying that your character has a "dark past" without explaining it makes some alarms go off in my head. The least obnoxious way I can find to explain why is : It hints at a lack of humility and maturity, and makes me question how much the person is interested in enjoying the experience that is cooperating with other players in writing a story rather than attempting an ego stroke and making their character look cooler-than-thou. If said character is plot-relevant or something, I can begrudgingly look the other way, but I don't like when the RP is forcibly focused on one of the players, so my motivation will take a hit one way or another.

I'll link the 3 character sheets I've made in RPNation, in the order I made them, to show how my character sheet "style" changed (pretty sure I didn't edit them after they were approved, so it'll be a refresher for me as well) and to serve as examples of what I said above.

First, for a Neon Genesis Evangelion RP : Fandom - Neon Genesis Evangelion RP (Accepting)

Second, for an Attack on Titan RP : Fandom - Attack on Titan: Protection ~Character Sheet~

Third, for the same character as the second but in a different Attack on Titan RP: Bryce Foster

Last edited:
Depends if it's a 1x1 or a Group thing.

For 1x1's, I swear off sheets to the deepest, darkest pit of hell. It's so much better to get to know the character organically and over time. It's not like you get the cast's biodata at the start of a novel, right? Blurbs are ideal, and even then, only for plotting purposes.

For Group RPs, I understand the need for it. It's efficient. The GM can use it as a guide on how they should direct the overall story. The prospective player can scope the existing character sheets to see in advance if they would fit in with the group. During more general plotting, the players could just link their sheets to one another instead of having to write the same things over and over again.

I think a good follow-up question would be: What makes a good character sheet, anyway?

For me, a good CS helps the player as much as it does the rest of the group. This means a good character sheet should help the player find their character's voice. This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the character's history. There's many ways to do this -- the most popular being including the likes / dislikes / vices / blah blah section. Those work just fine for me, although personally I appreciate more gimmicky ways of going about it, like making the players respond to certain prompts in-character. A very straightforward personality section runs the risk of telling, but not showing. That's not going to help you get into your character's shoes very well.

On the other hand, GMs should look at their players' CS with the intention of finding potential plot points to be addressed IC. Thus, a good character sheet will make it easier for the GM to find ways to integrate the character's personal history with the overarching story. How does one go about doing this? That's a tough question to answer, and mainly the most you can do is make your life easier by weeding out the shit you don't need. Minimise the miscellaneous stuff (e.g. theme song, voice claim, mental age, etc.). You don't always have to follow this rule, because sometimes it's the little details that make the character feel complete in the end. Keep in mind, though: Overly detailed sheets run the danger of stalling RP Proper, which kills the hype, which kills the RP. At the same time, overly ambiguous sheets are a gamble to the GM. Unless you're already well-acquainted with your players, you're risking characters that might turn out OP, ridiculous, or simply don't fit in the kind of story you were going for.

Don't be afraid to be creative. How can you make your CS stand out? How can you make it fun to fill out? Character sheets have the potential to be a creative writing exercise. Style your CS to make it seem like a job interview, or a psychological evaluation. Maybe a police or government report.

That said, here are some info that I think are crucial to any group RP (the tricky part is figuring out how to integrate this information into your gimmick without it seeming too artificual):
  1. Basic Information.
    • Name and Age are the big two. That's pretty much it. Any other vital information would depend on the specific RP's needs.
    • If the RP is literally set all over the place, a Current Location/Place of Residence would definitely be helpful.
  2. Appearance.
    • A picture and/or a couple of words of physical description is/are all you will ever need.
    • Height, Build, Hair/Eye Colour, and Distinguishing Marks may help, too.
    • Sections for attire and equipment might be useful, but usually only when you're dealing with action-heavy RPs.
  3. Skills.
    • But only if it's a mission-oriented and/or action-heavy RP.
    • Don't be afraid to elaborate when necessary. Don't just put a Skills section there. Know what you're looking for, and then ask your players for it. Are you talking about combat skills? How are they with swords? Hand-to-hand combat?
  4. Personality.
    • That shit I said about finding your character's voice. Seriously, they're screaming for you. Don't leave a bro hanging.
  5. History.
    • Remember that thing I said about GMs having to look for potential plot points? This is it. This is mostly where you find them.
    • The main thing you're looking for: Character motivation. What keeps them going? Or, perhaps, what keeps them from achieving their goal?
    • Might be helpful if, at this point, you ask them specific questions. For example, if your RP is set in a dystopian society, you might want to specifically ask them how their character feels about Generic Oppressive Government. You might want to ask them to describe the moment their character felt most terrified or happy. So on and so forth, I say, because I can't think of any more examples.
Remember: Bullet points are your friends. At least for me, the task of filling out the form becomes just a little bit less daunting that way. Items for sections 1-3 (and, to some extent, 4) above should be at least 90% in bullet points. Look at me and my fancy percentages!

Of course, not everything should be in bullet points. Yes, I know I said they are your friends, but do you dedicate your entire life to your friends? No! Not when things like video games and social anxiety exist you don't. See, the last thing I want to add is a good character sheet should showcase your writing abilities to some extent, because when joining any RP, writing chemistry is just as important as character chemistry.

And, as life would have it, I have done a complete 360
I believe you mean a 180? Since 360 is a full circle...

As for my thoughts in this matter, and without wanting to adress your reasons in particular, or at least not exclusively - as I believe that roleplaying, as a creative productive hobby SHOULD take work and assuming otherwise is a bit delusional given that, to roleplay, you need to actually type the thing and come up with, so even if it's fun it still takes effort- I believe character sheets don't need to but should be as detailed as possible without overlap. A character sheet should:
1. Establish the base character, this is, how they are at the start of the roleplay, in a solid manner
2. Provide all roleplay/setting -relevant info regarding that character
3. Not overlap with itself (for instance, asking for eye color when the appearance is already there generally is irrelevant and so should be avoided)

Now, you may be thinking that these are vague principles and yeah they are. However, what I just described is the mentality by which I approach choosing what template to give for character sheets. Players are allowed to add more of course, so long as it makes sense. It's true, though, that this makes the character-creation process slower and more taxing. I have a million answers for that, starting with the fact that my RPs are detailed so if someone can't handle a character sheet like that I can't expect them to keep up with the demands of my roleplay. Still, more importantly, is that this innitial ordeal removes a huge burden people forget to account for when they try to think about topics like this, and that is how people have different perspectives and tend to overestimate themselves.

Now, I'll be the first to admit, I'm less trusting than many other roleplayers. My own experiences in roleplay have proven in my eyes that I can't count on people for self-moderation. Yet even if I ignore that I still find no reason to just presume the general roleplaying populace can do something most professional writers struggle with, keeping a detailed consistent depiction of a character in their head. In fact, more often than not the people saying "I want to reveal it during the RP" usually don't HAVE a bakcground or personality they are keeping to themselves at all, they just didn't bother to make one up. They are ad-libing, which lends itself too easily to contrived scenarios and an abuse of convenience. If a character doesn't even exist they aren't even a character. Heck, calling them a cardboard cut-out would be generous.

Yet perhaps the biggest reason why I wanted the CSs to be solid, complete and detailed is this: If I am your GM, I can only approve things I know about. Seems reasonable, no? I can't say "yes" or "no" to a question I was never posed. So if it isn't in the CS I can't say you can roleplay it in my roleplay, because I didn't know it was a thing. Being "implied" is iffy territory for me. Because as I said people have different perspectives. You may think you're implying somehting when in fact I can't see that at all. "If I don't know about it, I can't approve it."

What this leads to is one of the most annoying things that can possibly happen. If you happen to be responsible and actually have a fully prepared character, simply not putting it in the character sheet, odds are you're gonna be rejected some things midway through OR those very traits may be too convenient for the plot's own good.

A character sheet has a function: to be a bank of information from which players and GM alike can work with whether it's the owner remembering their own character, the GM making a suitable plot or the other players trying to discern how to interact with said character. But the CS is also a character's passport and I'm sorry but some are expired and a GM has to be able to tell which are which or there is gonna be a problem.

Shorter, more incomplete CSs have a resounding disadvantage in both those functions and also completely ignore that neither GMs nor players are as skilled as they think they are and thus are not as capable of handling more challenging tasks like ad-libing a complex character as they tend to think.

On the other hand, more complex CSs while yes at the price of being harder to complete and more time-consuming, have all those other advantages, in addition to usually just being more interesting to read and with more accessible information, PLUS giving the GM some level of guarantee that their players can be expected to be willing to put up with more effort for their fun, something essential for any GM who wants to build a decent story.

That last point is why I said that more complex CSs are not necessary. For many roleplayers, most perhaps, it's irrelevant whether the roleplay they end up making has any quality to it. It's irrelevant whether the story is overly convenient or the characters are blander than water etc... Many, perhaps most, just want to have fun. So, in the end of the day, these are my thoughts:

A more complex and larger CS is BETTER by principle than it's opposite (though of course, the detail and effort of a player has a major influence on the quality of a CS), but the quality of the CS is not always relevant to the enjoyment in the roleplay, thus making that superiority a factor that may or not be necessary to account depending on the goals of the GM.

In fact, more often than not the people saying "I want to reveal it during the RP" usually don't HAVE a bakcground or personality they are keeping to themselves at all, they just didn't bother to make one up.

I don't know how often that happens, but I agree with you that it does happen. And from my own observation, the players who ask to forgo the background/biography portion rarely deliver their character's history during the course of the roleplay.

disclaimer; this post will be slightly long only because I will be replying to everyone's response within this post! feel free to skip my responses that don't pertain to your post and read just your tag!​

memphis memphis ; I am so glad that you understand where I'm coming from in terms of the beginning stages of roleplaying! But, as time passed on, I gradually found a style fitting of myself that I absolutely love doing. For example, when I start on a character sheet, I have some type of persona in mind and what inspires me are sometimes moodboards and other images that I can find on Pinterest or Tumblr! After I am able to get a concrete idea, I have a "voice" that forms in my head and I realise, "Oh! That's my character speaking to me!" Hopefully, that doesn't sound too odd! Anyways, once I understand my character better I'm able to write more details of said character.

However, depending if I'm roleplaying with a group of friends or not, my friends and I tend to follow along the "guidelines" or process of character-making by revealing our character gradually in the roleplay! I honestly believe it's because it's that level of trust we have with each other to not throw in some random curve balls that would make their character "overpowered" or a "main centre of attention" trope.

Also, I don't think it was a "snoobish" way of thinking, I actually totally get where you're coming from! My introductory post tend to be longer than most of my post since I do exactly the same style as you do in terms of giving a general sense of what my character is like and some other information inside the said introductory post! Thank you for taking the time out to respond to this discussion!

Shuusuke Shuusuke ; Please don't ever feel the need to apologise for your opinions and your perspectives. It wasn't pessimistic to me because, quite frankly, I am the same way as well. But, in the end, when I get into the groove of making a character, I hate leaving any information out so I end up editing and adding information in my character sheet to let others know that my edits and updates aren't suppose to be a "cheat-sheet" into "cheating" my way in a roleplay but to better understand my own character in case I forget myself. My character sheets are actually really there to help me in case a roleplay becomes stale only for it to be rebooted in the future and I could remember what my character is like without writing them "out of character" in the roleplay. Or in other circumstances, to let my GM know that I understand the world and the lore that is being provided to me. So, I definitely know what you mean by adding in more information if you're feeling inspired! At the same time, there are time where I combine information into one section as well if need be!

I absolutely love your second paragraph regarding "mysterious" characters in which some players like to write that in their biography. I completely agree with your statement that it lacks maturity and humanity since character sheets are a way for GMs to understand your style and skills regarding writing and creativity. I couldn't have said it better!

Thank you so much for providing me with examples of your different character sheets and their style of organising! Your characters are honestly, to me, characters that I could roleplay with as they all have their uniqueness, flaws, and etc. I wish I was part of the Attack of the Titans fandom, but nevertheless, thank you so much for taking the time in responding to this discussion!

Generic Brooding Antihero Generic Brooding Antihero ; Ummmmmm. I really, really, really hate not being able to give you a full blown appreciation post but, I am stunned. Just everything about your post - from the added quirks of humor to the helpful advices and guidelines - is exactly , I feel, what should be a "tutorial" on how to make a character sheet. Everything you've written and explained wasn't superficial but well-thought out and just 100% amazing. I'm stunned for words, really.

loud claps in the background

Chemistry is very, very, important and bullet points in terms of organising makes me really happy as a person only because it's so much easier to understand and read than a big blob of text - cough, for example, this post.

So, like, is there a way to just star everything you've just said and place it on a plaque? Because, wow.

Idea Idea ; Oh, snapples, you right, you right. It's 180.

hurries off to go and fix that mistake

or maybe I just like circles. . .

Wow. Everything I have ever thought about or have had second guesses about, you literally just hit everything on the nail in regards to having detailed character sheets and knowing that it does take work and effort into creating characters.

I made a roleplay that required a lot and I mean, a lot of time, effort, and patience. The character sheet I gave to my players were honestly . . . excruciating only because said roleplay allowed players to create their own "kingdom" that can be influenced by present-day countries. I wanted to know every little details, or at least details in which I can differentiate between the kingdoms that were being created. I thought it was a fun little project my players and I could work on together. I must say, the feedback I received was higher than I anticipated but at the same time I felt as if I was asking too much in regards to the character sheet since not only were you applying for a character but you're also making a kingdom.

However, in the end, there were still a lot of interest and players that I had who finished and they quite enjoyed the process. It was worth it in the end and despite it being time-consuming and detailed, it definitely weeded out those who probably wouldn't fit in well with the rest of the players. I'm unsure if that sounds "elitist" but I guess I should stop taking everything everyone says into account.

So, your post, everything about it is a reassurance to me, as a roleplayer who is just a "player" or a GM, that everything I am doing is okay.

Thank you so much in putting so much thought, effort, and time into writing your post because I completely agree with everything you have said/written.

Bone2pick Bone2pick ; I must say I have to agree as well !

blurb talks; on another different note, this is making me feel more inspired and helping me remember the joys of roleplaying! Everyone who has commented on this thread are truly precious jewels. Thank you for so much feedback! I hope one day I could roleplay with you guys because to be truthfully honest, I'd love to roleplay with all of you eventually!​

Last edited:
Wow. Everything I have ever thought about or have had second guesses about, you literally just hit everything on the nail in regards to having detailed character sheets and knowing that it does take work and effort into creating characters.

I made a roleplay that required a lot and I mean, a lot of time, effort, and patience. The character sheet I gave to my players were honestly . . . excruciating only because said roleplay allowed players to create their own "kingdom" that can be influenced by present-day countries. I wanted to know every little details, or at least details in which I can differentiate between the kingdoms that were being created. I thought it was a fun little project my players and I could work on together. I must say, the feedback I received was higher than I anticipated but at the same time I felt as if I was asking too much in regards to the character sheet since not only were you applying for a character but you're also making a kingdom.

However, in the end, there were still a lot of interest and players that I had who finished and quite enjoyed the process. It was worth it in the end and despite it being time-consuming and detailed, it definitely weeded out those who probably wouldn't fit in well with the rest of the players. I'm unsure if that sounds "elitist" but I guess I should stop taking everything says into account.

So, your post, everything about it is a reassurance to me, as a roleplayer who is just a "player" or a GM, that everything I am doing is okay.

Thank you so much in putting so much thought, effort, and time into writing your post because I completely agree with everything you have said/written.
Yeah it definitely sounds elitist, but like any word something sounding this or that doesn't mean that it IS.

I was in a discussion recently about posting requirements and I think that there is a bit of a common thread in something I've been saying in general, roleplaying done in forums involves writing. And writing is a productive activity, meaning it takes effort to do well. It's almost like a law of physics, if you want to turn those ideas into a roleplay you gotta put in the work of typing it and if you want those ideas to come out with quality then you need to put an appropriate amount of effort. So how much you're gonna produce depends on what you need to achieve your goal.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it sounds elitist because it's pointing out the basic fact that because some people view roleplaying as A hobby whereas others picture think of it as THEIR hobby, because some people are in this for the fun more than the art and others are equally for either and there are even those more in for the art than the fun that naturally creates different kinds of roleplayers, none necessarily better or worse than the others, but definitely different types.

And I guess there is this idea nowadays that equality means treating every fish like it can climb trees...

But regardless I am glad you enjoyed my post. Yours was pretty informative as well and I liked the way you presented the topic. Keep up the good work! :)

I feel character sheets for groups are probably incredibly helpful to the GM, but for 1x1s? Nah. I don't want to do it. My characters aren't always fully-formed at the start and tell me things along the way. Stuff might change, and as long as my partner knows the big details, my OC's favorite color doesn't need to be locked into place.

In my twenty years of online RP, I've never had the need for one. If someone insists, it will either be a make or break request, or turn out to be the barest-bone minimum thing you've ever seen.

But again, I don't group RP. If I did, it would be a different story.

My heart belongs to character sheets as a lot of my first rp was dice so I figured it was how everyone did it all the time. I still usually write them up to help me get a solid base down for my character.

Idea Idea ; Ooh, that's definitely a good way to put it and definitely explains a whole lot more. I honestly wouldn't be able to put it into words without needing to proof-read everything I'm writing and even then my explanation wouldn't be understood as easily as how you phrased, explained, and discussed it with me.

Thank you so much for the compliment and you have no idea how honored and relieved I am for such praise! I honestly had to re-read my post a million and one times to make sure I liked how I wrote my post. You are right that writing is a productive activity because not only do you have to make effort into making sure you are being clear about what you're trying to say, but you also want to make sure you write in a way people could understand you. So, that in itself, is already a lot of effort going into just being clear and understood. I, personally, got really anxious when I posted up my thread discussion because I was afraid that I didn't bring up the topic in a format that was easily understood and etc. So, to hear that from you makes me feel so relieved and accomplished! Plus, it took me at least a week to put on a brave face and post my discussion thread and I'm so glad that I did!

CastoffCaptain CastoffCaptain ; That's totally understandable! I actually don't do one x one as often as I do group roleplays personally because it requires me to be a bit more intimate with someone and although we both are on the same page with requirements and the likes, I would still feel pressured to post more often than I should and keep something going in fear of just being a really, bad partner. Anyways, I totally got off topic, but when I did do one x ones, I almost always asked my partner what they preferred to do regarding making a character sheet, character blurb, or a character application [if not stated in their requirements | thread] because I personally don't have a preference and I tend to go along with what my partner is comfortable with since I normally don't do one x one roleplays.

But, I can definitely understand the no-need for character sheets! I probably would definitely go that route as well if I got into one x one roleplays more frequently!

Kassogtha Kassogtha ; Hello there ! First let me start off by saying, welcome to RPN! I do hope you enjoy your time here and if you need any help, I'm sure everyone here would be happy to help! On that note, dice sounds fun! I actually have never ventured into dice roleplays before. But, nevertheless, I agree! Having a character sheet and something to go off of definitely does help in the character creating process as it just builds some form of foundation that guides you!

@Idea ; Ooh, that's definitely a good way to put it and definitely explains a whole lot more. I honestly wouldn't be able to put it into words without needing to proof-read everything I'm writing and even then my explanation wouldn't be understood as easily as how you phrased, explained, and discussed it with me.

Thank you so much for the compliment and you have no idea how honored and relieved I am for such praise! I honestly had to re-read my post a million and one times to make sure I liked how I wrote my post. You are right that writing is a productive activity because not only do you have to make effort into making sure you are being clear about what you're trying to say, but you also want to make sure you write in a way people could understand you. So, that in itself, is already a lot of effort going into just being clear and understood. I, personally, got really anxious when I posted up my thread discussion because I was afraid that I didn't bring up the topic in a format that was easily understood and etc. So, to hear that from you makes me feel so relieved and accomplished! Plus, it took me at least a week to put on a brave face and post my discussion thread and I'm so glad that I did!
And look at how well it turned out :)
You deserve the praise, you did an amazing job. So if you're ever so uncertain, well, remember this thread, remember how well it went, and relax. We're all friends here XD

So, as they sang...
You're welcome !
shakespeare bowing gif.gif

Character sheets are excellent conduits for expressing creativity not only for yourself, but others too. They help you focus on specific details to flesh out or work on, as well providing an interesting glimpse into a potential partner candidate. In a way, I find that they add a certain tone of depth but in another hand, they spoil some of the "exploration" that you can only achieve out of roleplaying with the aforementioned person.

They're perfect for developing your/a character however like anything public, may be subject to metagaming and that's always a nono. Just have fun with it because people will have fun looking at them, that's my take anyways.

As in spoilers or as in ruin?
Both are perfectly capable of spoiling/ruining the learning experience of a character. Ruining is a bit of a harsh word, but it takes away from the exploration and interaction between characters if you already know that tidbit about them.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining it perfectly but hopefully the jist is there.

Both are perfectly capable of spoiling/ruining the learning experience of a character. Ruining is a bit of a harsh word, but it takes away from the exploration and interaction between characters if you already know that tidbit about them.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining it perfectly but hopefully the jist is there.
If you don't mind me objecting I would say it doesn't. Sure, you don't get to find that out in the character, so you aren't as surprised, but in pretty much any medium there is the unwritten rule that the better you understand someone the better you can connect with them. Which is not to say a character should be devoid of mysteries, but that I don't think knowing an aspect of a character should be detrimental to how that character is experienced provided there is more to them than just the plain knowledge.

If you don't mind me objecting I would say it doesn't. Sure, you don't get to find that out in the character, so you aren't as surprised, but in pretty much any medium there is the unwritten rule that the better you understand someone the better you can connect with them. Which is not to say a character should be devoid of mysteries, but that I don't think knowing an aspect of a character should be detrimental to how that character is experienced provided there is more to them than just the plain knowledge.

Oh no, you're perfectly correct with that. By no means is it any semblance of ruination, but it too depends on the OOC connection you're intent on achieving with the particular other you have in mind. Myself from a place where roleplay wasn't on a forum or medium where you have the time to formulate a response, a character sheet could spoil some intricacies with a complete stranger-- too depending on the information you've chosen to provide. IE: if it's sensitive or not, but general information typically is better.

Character sheets eh? I use em. It helps me know who everyone's character is and it's nice to have all the information organized in one place. I don't get too detailed and most of the stuff is technical (such as powers and abilities since overpowered characters are something I want to avoid). I don't do all the finicky flavor stuff such as height and weight and all that. My requirements are simple: name and race (if my roleplay has races). Occupation (I flip flop on this). Weapons, equipment, and other items. Powers, abilities, skills, and magic. Personality (it doesn't have to be a lot since so,etimes it's better to develop a characters personality over the course of the roleplay.). Appearence. And history (it doesn't have to be a lot but I, personally, love long and detailed histories. That's just me though. If you want to be short you do that. Just not too short. No one sentence histories.). I've also taken to doing an optional section featuring quotes, a theme song for your character, and other stuff that doesn't fit in the other categories. These are optional and are the only non required part of the CS.

M W M W ; oh my word, I totally thought I responded to your post ! But, it seems like I had not ! I totally understand where you're coming from because I actually had that thought in mind as well in regards to knowing 'too' much about a character and 'accidentally' meta-gaming in the roleplay itself. Like, the player knows about the character but the character, him or herself, do not know what we know, but, some players forget to distinguish between one's self and the character you're playing as. At times, I feel like characters can not be played to the best of their abilities in terms of character reactions that aren’t as genuine or it isn’t as “oh, crap” because with us, as players, we know some things of said character and so we unconsciously don't choose to explore such part of the said character because we already unconsciously have a mental reminder of “oh, that’s right.” that did happen to them. Yet, at the same time, when making connections with character with the other person, there’s also that form of connection and bond that you know about their said character as well. It helps us connect with the player and their character. So, I think, there’s definitely pros and cons to having a much detailed character sheet and laying everything out of your said character, however, I think regardless, even though the character sheet provides a player’s writing style and skill along with the character itself, there’s actually a lot of ideas that can be expanded on said character as time passes on and I think it’s a cool thing because just like us humans, we are forever changing and growing.

I hope my post didn’t come off confusing!

BackSet BackSet ; oh my flip flops ! i need to breathe real quick. Princess Luna has graced my thread with her presence! Eep, totally fangirling.

Ahem, anyways. I love it! I definitely understand where you’re coming from and I agree as well! It’s nice to have information all in one place as it’s organised and easily found if you ever forget a little tidbit of said character!

i think this is an unpopular opinion, but i personally love making (and reading!) super detailed character sheets. does anyone really care about their blood type or zodiac? probably not, but i still enjoy it.

i’ve never seen a “blurb,” before for a cs. it’s completely out of my comfort zone, but i kind of want to try it out next time because i can definitely see the benefits of it!

elextrified elextrified ; oh my goodness, okay, but, same though? when i want to be "extra" and add in tidbits about my characters, i loooove looking up astrology signs, temperaments, mtbi, and all of that funsies! although sometimes i have trouble choosing an astrology sign because they could also be this sign or that sign and it's just a matter of opinions, much like ourselves! i also take "mtbi" test for my characters , putting myself in their shoes and getting to know them on a deeper level than surface level ideals.

ah! yes! blurbs are fun to me only because it's concise and briefly gives an overview of someone's character, especially when you're making like a "character list" for a roleplay you're GMing for organisation's sake and i find that it helps players also get a little preview of said characters. for example, say you're making a Hogwart's roleplay and you want to know who's in what House and there's over 10 characters that you have to keep up with including your own characters and you don't want to look into the character thread and skim over so many character sheets to see who's in what House, there could be a character "list" section that places everyone's character blurbs for easy access and understanding! And, if someone wants to know more about said character, they could contact the player or click the little blurb and be directed towards the full, detailed character sheet!

so, i absolutely love little character blurbs for organisation and also for easy accessibility!

all i ask for in a character sheet is the name you expect your character to be called, any particular hooks that bring them into the plot and any particular talents they may have that influence the direction or tone of the story. such examples of Talents could be combat abilities to make fights easier, medicinal knowledge for healing between fights, knowledge of how to hunt and forage that might make surviving the apocalypse less of a challenge or magic that might negate a specific mystery type.

examples of hooks could be personality or backstory related, but they are simply reasons for "why are you involved in the storyline?". new arcs may require new hooks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back