• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Completed Chapter VI: Eye of the Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maggie nods at Laurolf and Meric, stubbornly apologetic but also rather sad. "It needed to be asked. I don't expect her redemption any more than you do, Laurolf, but it needed to be asked. What is the use of winning, if we become our enemy in the process?"

The priestess settles back in her chair as Meric and Violet move the discussion forward. She looks at the newest addition to their group. "You said you had explored infiltrating the palace. Have you seen anything that would help us find Dina? Dungeons? Locked doors or unusual concentrations of guards in odd places?"

Auri the Insatiable

Ambassador of the Drakkar Nation

Auri lets out a sigh of relief. His breath whooshes out harmlessly at his feet. Indeed, his relief was heartfelt for this young Asher had made the right decision and chosen to side with them rather than flee Auri's home with what he know knew. It was that thought that gave the old, cunning drakkar such reason to be relieved - for it meant he did not have to kill the young man. What a sudden and ugly scene that would have provided, especially in front of dear, sweet Maggie. Not to mention his new guests.

Kaerri said:
What is the use of winning, if we become our enemy in the process?"
Auri looks to Maggie. Though she be of smaller stature than he, he is once again convinced that the size of her heart is at least the size of his own. Still he was uncertain concerning how he might contribute. "We need allies," he repeats Violet's words. "We need a plan. I have many years adventuring behind me, but this sort of thing is out of my speciality." He takes a step forward. "How precisely might I contribute?"

Even though Auri spoke before Asher could reply to Maggie, he decided to answer, or at least clear up the subject of his knowledge of the Palace. "I know how to get into the palace courtyard, unseen. I also know the patrol routes and shift changes, but I have no knowledge of anything inside the palace itself. This is where the ambassador could prove very useful."

Asher wanted to kill the Sorceress, but the nature of his profession made him to be practical. It seemed that some of the people in this group also wanted her head on a platter, and as long as she was dead, he didn't care for the details. He just wanted to part of her demise.

"The Sorceress dies either by my hands or any of yours. If that is not part of your plan, I would like to know before setting off for the palace."

"I was going to collect what information there was to collect from my informants tomorrow," Violet said, "But I'll admit Asher's insight easily trumps anything my people would be able to collect. The palace district itself is hard to breach and navigate, let alone the palace."

Meric nodded. "It's going to be hard enough, but it would be impossible without information like that. Your contribution to the cause bears weight, master thief." There seemed to be a glint of new-found respect in the way the shadow elf regarded Asher. "It'll get us in. I'll be of help as well - I've visited both the palace district and the palace itself. But there's only one among us who's been there recently." Meric's eyes, like most everyone else's, glided over to the drakkar. "Ambassador. Auri. Anything you can tell us about the current defenses, guard deployment, Ilhirel's habits... Anything at all will be useful."

"Say we find Dina." A'kal said. "Hopefully undetected. Or maybe not. What's our escape plan?"

"It's here somewhere." Meric responded as he opened up a city map and drew everyone's attention to the top right corner of it.

kgdhZIm.jpg

"There's three access points to the palace district." he explained. "The main entrance is via King's Gate."

"... which is obviously not an option." the elf concluded, after having observed his fellow plotters against the Crown. His finger deftly moved away from the spot he had pinpointed on the map. He was just about to land it somewhere else when A'kal raised his voice.

"Or is it?" he went questioning the obvious. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is traffic through the King's Gate, isn't there? And into the palace?"

Meric pondered this for a few moments. "Well, yes. Supplies roll in, those of the staff not housed in the palace pass through, and such. But I don't think we'd easily pass for any of those, and I doubt hiding in barrels would get us far."

"Pfft!" Laurolf sounded off, in the midst of filling up his smoking pipe. "I could tell ye a story or two concernin' barrels... And dwarves hiding therein!"

"Another time, perhaps?" Meric's quick thwarting of Laurolf's story mode left the dwarf stunned for a brief moment - yet long enough for his freshly built up enthusiasm to wane. There was no complaint, though. "Suffice it to say, yes, simply going through the main gates might work, if we had a darn good excuse to be visiting the palace. Barring that, the second access point would be over the bridge that connects the royal quarter with Fort Artan."

"Fort Artan." Violet repeated, apparently dumbfounded. "Do you jest, Meric?"

"Just going over all the options..."

Violet's voice was dead serious. "That's not an option."

Last edited by a moderator:

Maggie looked thoughtfully at the map. "And yet Auri has legitimate business there. Remember those two 'arrested' and brought there tonight? If we need to, we could split into smaller, less noticeable groups and use different gates, and Auri and maybe one or two others could go with him - ambassadorial staff or something." She smiled at Violet. "But I agree, it's not an option all of us, or even most of us, could use."

Vittorio Valtieri

The Gentleman Necromancer

Valtieri almost jumps from his chair when Asher appears, but remains resolute, his composure barely cracking. But it does crack, if anyone is observant. He listens intently but says nothing, eventually peering over the map with idle curiosity.

"I should like to be able to assist, but even with the time to assemble a... distraction," he grins mirthlessly. "I am not sure how much use it would be."

He ponders a moment,

"Although perhaps some old friends in the Watch might remember me and be willing to assist us...."

Meric looked to Maggie with clear approval. "A good idea, Maggie." he nodded.

"Infiltrate the palace in several groups, then regroup once inside?" Violet summarized out loud. "An idea to my liking. Yes, that could work."

"Just a matter of deciding who goes where, then. Before we can do that, though, we need to gather as much intelligence and help as we can."

"I will reach out to my local contacts first thing in the morning." Violet replied.

"And I'll go with you." Meric said. "Meanwhile, the rest of you should see what you can do. Auri, perhaps you could visit the palace one last time before we go, this time thoughtfully checking for anything that would benefit the mission? Valtieri, whatever you can come up to will be useful. As for our master thief... Well. I trust you'll do your best as well."

"Anything going through the King's Gate gets thoroughly inspected, any cart or even sack, so I would say that's off the table unless any of you posses any special abilities or contacts?" Asher was still vastly unfamiliar with the members of the group, so some could pull it off as well. "There are two points of entry that I used, both include climbing the walls. The first one, we climb the walls from almost any point outside, risky but not impossible. The second is that we scale the lower main wall and then climb onto one of the Palace district towers, the western one having less guard, for which we could use a hook and some rope making it an easier climb."

Meric suggested Fort Artan as a way of getting in, which was something Asher considered as well at one point.

"The more points of entry we can cover, the better, so going through Fort Artan would be useful."

Asher thought about tomorrow. He nearly forgot about the note he received, and decided to voice his concern to the group. Dishonesty at this point would only do harm.

"I have... a problem I need to solve. Tomorrow, I'll scout the palace area some more to see if anything is new or different, and then I have to go meet someone who apparently knows who I am or what I am doing. A problem I could use assistance with, in case it is bigger than it should be."

"This very evening, after returning to the inn from another scouting, a messenger delivered this to me." Asher pulls out the note and puts it on the table for everyone to see. The note read:

"The palace guards may be blind, but we are not.

Warehouse C8, South Harbor. Tomorrow at noon."

"I am completely new to this city, even in Kossar I was a rare sight. All ties and my name burned down with the cities, so no one here should know me, yet this note suggests otherwise." Asher refused to admit what this meant. He deluded himself into thinking that it was indeed someone from his past, rather than being discovered because of his lack of care.

"What this note suggests," Meric gestured with his hand, "Is that at least one part of your title may be questioned, master thief Asher." For a moment there was a hint of a smile in the corner of the elf's lip, but it vanished almost immediately. "Whether or not these individuals know who you are or not, they have seen you skulking about the royal quarter. Be glad it was just them and not the palace guards."

"I wouldn't be sure of that, either." Violet shook her head, then emptied her glass. "The Sorceress has countless servants at her disposal, the most powerful of which are seldom seen. Alicante is the seat of her power. Do not doubt it is well protected beyond that which is visible to the eye."

A'kal raised a brow to Violet's last words and took a good, long look at her - but said nothing.

"Given how he's still alive and the palace not on full alert, it is safe to assume that -"

"That doesn't mean anything." Violet cut in. "The kinds of things we've been up against for the past three years, Meric... There are no safe assumptions when it comes to the Sorceress, what she is capable of, and what she might have up her sleeve. The corpses of my slain comrades can attest to that. As can I." Violet's voice ran with the cold sound of bitterness only acquired through an ordeal such as the one a commanding officer during a war could go through.

Meric looked at her cautiously before quickly turning his gaze downwards. "Anna minulle anteeksi. I know." he said, then grew silent.

Violet sighed, exhaling much of her bitterness out. She didn't reply to Meric's words but instead stood up and addressed everyone. "Unless anyone would like to add something, I think we've done all we can for now. We have a semblance of a plan. Tomorrow we shall gather the last missing pieces we need to solidify it. And then we strike. Dina is too important to be left at Ilhirel's mercy for long. Maker only knows what that woman wants with her..." The shadow elf looked down in distraction. Everyone but Auri and Asher knew that Dina was more to Violet than just the heir to the throne of Asgard. That they were close. A hint of such concern was obvious on her face now.

Laurolf got up as well, then crossed over to stand by Violet and patted her arm. "We'll get 'er back. We will." he said, in a voice softer than anyone had ever heard him speak before.

Violet smiled. It was a short-lived and half-made, but a smile it was. "We will. Asher." she said, looking at him as if she just remembered he was there. "Do you want someone to go with you to your meeting? I've agents scattered throughout the city. There's not enough time to see what the local ones might make of the note, but I could arrange for some backup for you, in case things go south."

"Of course. I assume your agents prepared to kill? Because whoever is meeting me, whoever saw me must die, after getting some information from them, naturally. They are probably expecting one person, which goes very much in our favour."

Any problem had to be solved without resorting to killing, a belief Asher tried passing onto his guild members and fellow thieves. But they were ash, and so were his beliefs.

And with that, the evening soon drew to a close. All that could be said of relevance was said. The task at hand was simple: Save Dina from Ilhirel's clutches. The actual execution, however, was not. There were details to be ironed out, information to be gleaned, opportunities to be exploited. All that required more preparation than could be done on the very eve of the Chosen's arrival to the capital. After all, as early as this morning they were still fighting the demonic scourge in Darkvale. Thus their progress in Alicante so far should be considered successful, despite not having gotten far. They gained two new allies, both of which would prove useful soon.

Early the next morning the party split up, each to pursue a different path to contribute to the plan. Violet sought her Resistance contacts scattered throughout the city. Meric left to procure whatever useful information could be gained from the local nobility, using his own noble status. Battojutsu apologized and said he had a personal matter to attend to. A'kal and Laurolf went together, an odd sight to behold, to explore the city which neither of them had ever visited more than once before, hoping to think of something useful to do on the way. The rest fanned out with very specific goals in mind...

The agreement was that everyone would meet back at Auri's estate by six o'clock in the afternoon at the latest, for dinner and plotting.

Date: October 9th, year 3321

Weather: Partially cloudy but sunny. Faintly warm. No wind.

• Around 09:30 h

Tenárus Square, Northwest Alicante

Tenárus Square, named after the kingdom's one and only ruling dynasty, was considered the main square of its capital - in theory. In practice, despite its haughty aura, security, order, and cleanliness, it was no more important than its cross-town counterpart; Commerce Square. The two city centers were simply different. Here the crowded, sensible chaos of the numerous stands and pavilions of Commerce Square gave way to open ground lined with green shrubberies, well groomed and cut low. Large oak trees were spaced behind, casting shade over the benches placed every here and there by the orderly gravel paths. The middle of the square was dominated by the statue of Avar Tenárus, somewhat larger than life-sized, and erected out of solid granite that has stood the test of time since Alicante's founding over a thousand years ago. Several small fountains were spread out over the center of the square, powered by the Shallow River through clever engineering.

Around this park were some of the most important buildings of the city, such as the Rowanford Gold Bank, the Inquisition, the Embassy of Eldshaw, and residences belonging to some of Alicante's high nobility. On the northeast edge of the square was the Embassy of Daskárd, and that's where Auri found himself at this hour; right outside of it to be accurate, looked down upon by the winged stone dragons bellowing frozen fire. There used to be ceremonial drakkar guards in front of the entrance, but this was promptly changed at the request of the Shadow Elves, whose embassy stood right across the square. Even years after the war, the sight of drakkar soldiers in full plate armor was too much to bear. Some wounds heal slower than others.

Thus it were two human guardsmen who stood watch before the door to the embassy - essentially City Watch, but clad in fancier stuff. They had recognized Auri as soon as he came in sight, and acknowledged him with a respectful gesture that included putting their halberds to rest as soon as he came near the wide marble steps. They weren't the only ones to notice him, needless to say. None of the passersby could help but spot the large drakkar, especially if they had to step in a wide arc around him. Some acquaintances greeted him out loud. Others politely nodded their heads.

Children gawked openly as children do, nobles and commoners alike. But there was nothing foul in their rude directness, nothing essentially wrong in their breaking of etiquette when they playfully tugged at Auri's clothes and spun around him while singing rhymes that made their mothers blush and fathers frown.

Drako, drako, touch him once,

don't you worry he won't pounce!

Drako, drako, touch him twice,

don't you worry he's still nice,

Drako, drako, touch him thrice,

don't you worry there's a - price!

According to the game that had gotten popular lately, several kids would run circles around Auri while prodding him a total of three times - three being the limit that would make him suddenly breathe out fire to scatter his attackers. This third prod was supposed to take place simultaneously with the last word of the song, at which point the kids would suddenly run away in different directions, getting away with it and winning the game. Supposedly. In reality, thanks to their uncoordinated efforts, lack of teamwork, and sometimes sabotage, it was never certain who would prod when - so the third prod often came too early, catching everyone by surprise and giving Auri the time to single out the final offender for a scary, albeit highly non-hazardous, punishment.

To those small, bright, colorful fluffs Auri was a dragon. A magician. A favorite uncle. Anything but the Ambassador of Daskárd.

Maggie smiled. Some might think this an unfortunate chance of timing, delaying her in the crowd when she had important things to do, but she believed quite the opposite. Chance, perhaps, in that the group had split at just the right time for her to arrive at this moment, but surely not unfortunate. No, indeed. As Maggie lifted her face to the morning sun (though not looking directly at it, of course, lest she hurt her eyes by its brightness), she listened to the leading priest's words and let them sink into her soul, a preparation for the time to come. Things were going to get very difficult soon, and she welcomed this renewal of her faith as some of her more martial comrades might welcome a brand-new suit of exquisitely made armor. Her lips moved in time to the familiar prayer, smiling with quiet joy, for was that not exactly what she was here for? To serve Him, and her friends, and Dina, and all those suffering under the Sorceress's rule. After a moment, she began making her way toward the entrance of the temple proper, careful not to move too fast and distract those around her from the sermon.

Auri the Insatiable

Auri mock-gasps, points, and unfurls balls of flame toward any of the children who wish to play the game, for as old as he is, he has never once lost the child inside of his own heart.

Once inside the embassy, having made his round of greetings at all faces within, Auri goes to work. For the first hour, he performs his tasks as if he would every day, but as more and more eyes fall away from him, he reaches toward any kind of information that might help Dina's rescue. Of this, he speaks to no one and he claims all documents, maps, and other information as unobtrusively as he returns it. He keeps a keen eye and ear out for anything that appears out of the ordinary concerning the palace. For as old as the palace was, one never knew exactly the moment a tree might choose to alter the colors of its leaves.

He hoped that the rest of the team's attempts were stealthy and fortuitous.

• Around 11:15 h

Auri's office, Embassy of Daskárd

The day progressed well enough for Auri so far. Just over two hours in, he had reviewed his chosen documents and gleaned what insight he could. Actually, he was still reviewing when there were three quick knocks on his door. Following permission, Auri's aide came in - A young, lean drakkar by the name of Quark who usually assisted Auri with whatever was required as part of his preparation to one day assume higher diplomatic duties himself. Quark moved over to stand near the table, bowed gracefully, and then spoke.

"My apologies for interrupting, your Excellence, but a messenger just brought this." He presented a white envelope with some writing on one side. "It is addressed to you, formally."

Deciding on climbing the lower wall first, Asher headed north, observing the Royal Palace walls for any weaknesses in case he missed any during his previous visits. He could climb as it is, but since speed is always of the essence even a small footing, a missing brick or the like, could prove to be an advantage. Alas, the wall was well maintained, at least from this side.

Since the corner was well away from the bustling centre, the street was nearly deserted. Asher didn't want to waste his power unnecessarily, so he waited for the opportune moment to climb. While waiting, he leaned himself on the wall and rubbed against it so his back was covered with the wall's dirt. The texture of his black clothes made the dust stick and Asher got a decent, light-beige camouflage.

The moment the street was empty, or at least that the onlookers were too far to see him, Asher wall-ran and jumped, crossing at least four meters in less than a second, then continued on with the climb. The lower part of the wall was in shadow, but at one point the Sun made its presence by scorching the wall above him. The light would hide all the nooks Asher could use, if not for his pair of obsidian spectacles, filtering out the excess light and enabling him to see.

It took him mere seconds to scale the lower wall. Reaching the edge, Asher stopped and listened to see if there was anyone walking the walls at this moment. Nothing, as expected by the guard patrol schedule, which he knew by heart now.

Climbing over the edge, Asher looked both ways along the wall's path. Concluding he was alone, he climbed the tower which was also supposed to be empty. From it, he looked down into the Royal Palace area.

Maggie nodded a wordless greeting to the elf at the reception desk, but continued on purposefully on her way without stopping. Her goal was the temple library, specifically the sections that had been pointed out to her as being helpful for researching combat-related miracles. She was hoping to add to her defensive abilities, but offensive would be nearly as good. Well, really, anything that would help the party in their current endeavor! While she hoped there would be no fighting involved, she knew better than to depend on on it.

Vittorio Valtieri

The Gentleman Necromancer

Valtieri leans heavily on his walking staff, and smiles beneficently while glancing around the room with all the nostalgia he can muster.

"Greywall. Cern Greywall?" He says, as if half-remembered. "We were friends, in another life."

He slowly paces around the desk, barely looking at the elf, running a hand over a particular patch of wall as if it means anything.

"Just wanted to get caught up," he says, finally. "Could you tell me where to find him?"

Date: October 9th, year 3321

Weather: Partially cloudy but sunny. Faintly warm. No wind.

• Around 11:15 h

Auri's office, Embassy of Daskárd

The envelope was simple but fine, and sealed with the royal crest. The paper inside was even finer. The good, expensive stuff of the kind one didn't often see. Unless one was royalty, nobility, or at least a wealthy individual of some sort. It was even scented at that, hinting of earth and subtle freshness. Unfolded, the letter was revealed in all its glory of richly decorated lines and beautiful handwriting.

The Lord Steward is commanded by

The Queen to invite

His Excellency, Auri Grashaal,

The Ambassador of Daskárd in Alicante

to a banquet held in honor of Her Royal Highness

in the Great Hall of the Royal Palace,

on Friday, 10th October, 3321 at 7 p.m.

A trusted three may accompany.

Attendance to be affirmed.

Invitations such as this one were not uncommon in the last three years since Ilhirel usurped the throne, especially at first. There were no shortage of banquets "held in honor of Her Royal Highness", despite there rarely being an actual sound reason for it. It was widely believed that the events were simply one of Ilhirel's ways to stave off boredom or display power to the city officials, because at almost every single one of those feasts something inevitably happened to support that belief. At best, a noble would suffer mild humiliation. At worst, a traitor would be ceremoniously unveiled and promptly executed.

But that was in the year following the Great War. Things have settled down since, and it's actually been quite a while since the last royal banquet. So it's very possible that there is a legitimate reason behind this one. Either way, Auri knew three things for sure.

Firstly, the letter included his full title, which meant that he was invited in his official capacity. Secondly, he could bring three people with him. Three well-chosen individuals for which he'd have to vouch for, and be responsible for any misbehavior on their part. This was an old custom on the royal court, often practiced. And thirdly, he was expected to formally confirm his attendance. Even though one really wasn't expected not to attend... It was not required to list one's chosen guests, however - only their number, if any.

Auri the Insatiable

"Thank you, Quark. You are dismissed." Once Auri was alone, he muses. Given the content and direction, the main choice seemed to be who Auri might take with him and how it might best serve the Resistance and Dina.

He returns the letter to its envelope and tucks it away on his person. With that, he continues on with his duties of the day.

Auri the Insatiable

As Auri attempts to uncover any other information that might help the Resistance, he cannot help but muse about the banquet. It had been some time since the last; would there be an unfortunate "guest of honor" once again or was there more to it? Auri guesses the latter while realizing that guessing is all he can do at the moment.

Since he appeared to have both the time and opportunity, Auri also did what digging he could into Rekt and the shadow elf. What avenues did he have to him? Well, there had to be other Alicante ambassadors to chat with. Perhaps the ambassador to the shadow elves? Might Auri have a contact somewhere that knew of the fort itself or important personages within? The thought of approaching the Sorceress herself did not occur to him. What to do especially when Maggie and her friends were soon to attempt Dina's rescue?

It was something he would consider while taking a stroll about the palace grounds. Were he stopped by the palace authorities, he would state his intention of attending the banquet tonight and what he might bring to offer as a gift of gratitude to the Sorceress. Otherwise, he would attempt to avoid any undue attention - Dina's life might hang on it.

To avoid the guard that comes up to the top of the tower every ten minutes, Asher had to hang of the northern side of the tower, using its shadow and the fact that it faces the city outskirts to remain hidden.

The patrol routes changed in a three day rotation pattern, making it easy to predict the guard movements. If a route was different today, all of Asher's monitoring would have been for nothing. From his position he couldn't see all the patrols, but it was enough to know that at least three of the routes were unchanged, along with one route around the Palace itself, meaning that the others were on point as well. Spending around fifteen minutes watching the patrols hit their checkpoints, according to his watch, Asher concluded that nothing changed in their schedules.

Satisfied, Asher began his descent the same way he climbed up the walls, except this time he hid himself in the Shadowrealm. The bright, yellow sun became a white shadow obfuscating everything in its glow. The city outlines became no more than distant shadows and even the nearby stone of the walls was hard to discern without focusing. Since the wall was near enough to Asher, he had very little problems finding nooks to use as footing, as he carefully climbed back down. This was necessary as the descent was always slower than the climb, unless you jumped. Since Asher could not rely on swiftness to avoid witnesses, so this small gamble was justified in his mind.

Once he was down, he needed to go to the South Harbour warehouse and scout out the area before the actual meeting takes place. His plan was to lay a few sound traps to see if the person he was meeting came alone, to check for any traps that may have already been set, and to find potential escape routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back