• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Completed Chapter VI: Eye of the Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Date: October 8th, year 3321

Weather: Clear, starry skies. Mild temperature. No wind.

• Around 19:35 h

Commerce Square, Southeast Alicante

The other westerner's eyes widen in surprise, but he quickly nods his understanding with a famous reply: "For the Emperor." And all that without truly breaking his motion. To anyone else it would appear as Battojutsu had intended - that the two of them merely bumped into each other and nothing else. The man runs off with his pursuers hot on his heels. Joining right behind them, Battojutsu is finally able to count that there's five of them.

They run through Commerce Square but not back down the street towards the Temple. Instead, the mysterious westerner sticks to the right side and down the street leading towards Darran Gates. He is just as graceful in sidestepping obstacles and avoiding collision as Battojutsu is - whereas the men chasing him appear clumsy in comparison. They push past people in their way, knock down small stands, and the like. Clumsy and careless, but not enough so to lose their prey merely on account of that. A few guards get in the way but they are caught by surprise and far too incompetent to successfully give chase. Two intersections later, the westerner suddenly turns into a small backyard between a semicircle of old, rickety buildings. What few people there are present start to flee almost immediately at the sight of the armed men. The yard is quite empty by the time Battojutsu's countryman stops to make his stand near the wall of a tall house.

The man pulls out a katana and grips it with both hands, assuming a ready stance. His attackers respond in kind, furnishing swords and long knives. Battojutsu stands a short distance behind them, but A'kal hasn't arrived yet (though Battojutsu was aware of him following).

This scene is now entering combat time in accordance to OOC details.

Last edited by a moderator:

Backyard near Commerce Square, Southeast Alicante

In the very next moment, battle is quickly joined. Three of the attackers boldly converge on the mysterious westerner in a clear attempt to dispose of him as quickly as possible. The man assumes a defensive stance and skillfully fends them off, though not without effort. It is improbable that he can survive for long cornered and outnumbered like this.

The two other attackers remain between Battojutsu and his countryman, apparently keen on not letting him interrupt the fight. They stand with their weapons at the ready and do nothing for the time being.

Battojutsu Honda

Demonslayer of the West

The man breathes- in, and out- as he beholds the scene before him. It's chaos; disgusting, filthy, wretched chaos being wrought against one of his countryman. One of the people he gave over his life to the protection of- albeit, the protection against Demons, not other men... but righteousness and honor care little if a foe is grand or small- only that it is a foe. Usually, this is when he'd offer a chance to surrender to common thugs- but he decides against it as he beholds the scene; and quickly makes assumptions as to it's eventual end.

And so he instead slides into the stance associated with the style of combat for which he is named- a Battojutsu, or Iajutsu as it is also called, stance. He places one hand on his blades sheathe- and the other on the hilt as he drops into a half crouch- and breathes.

"Aku. Soku. Zan." Slay Evil Immediately. The words leave his lips- and he jets forwards. His mind empties into a single point- and he breathes out. He is upon the first man in a blur- unsheathing his blade and striking in the same motion- grinding the edge against the sheathe to add force to the strike as he makes a smooth diagonal cut towards the mans chest- his eyes open and aware between his foes as he makes his aggressive charge.

It's a quick, deft blow, an Iajutsu strike. And if it fails, his sheathe follows as a blunt weapon slammed towards wherever he dodged. That's the plan, anyway..

With an injured guard to see to, Maggie ignores the blustering command to disperse and focuses instead on her patient. She gives the elf a friendly smile as she reaches her hand towards (but does not quite touch) the wound. She then closes her eyes and calls upon her faith. "In the Maker's name," she says softly before casting her Heal miracle upon the guardsman.

Battojutsu's target proves no match for his sudden and skilled charge, and the would-be attacker receives a fatal cut across the chest that rips through his leather armor and puts him down on the ground. He is dying and no longer a threat.

The three foes who are attacking the other westerner seem to be having a hard time, too. One of them lunges too deep and is punished for his clumsiness with a cut across the arm. He doesn't relent, though, and neither do his two friends - though all three of them switch to a less aggressive approach.

The second attacker next to Battojutsu quickly but carefully springs to action and attacks him. "Another western bastard! Die!" he shouts as he strikes forward with his longsword.

Auri the Insatiable

Ambassador of the Drakkar Nation

Auri replies, "Apologies in return that one of my own mighty kin was involved. Now details, young fellow, if you please..." Auri gets a good long look at everyone involved while making way for Maggie to do what comes naturally to her. "Unfortunate enough that one of your lawful company was harmed, more unfortunate still that I did not see what brought it all one. I am Auri the Insatiable, voice of my people here in Alicante. What facts took place before our arrival? What are your names and the names of those who have defied the law?"

If the guard explains, then Auri listens to his every detail while keeping a studious eye upon the two prisoners and their expressions or reactions to the guard's words. There is much going on here, the old wizard knows, and the time is ripe for answers.

Battojutsu Honda

Demonslayer of the West

He smiles darkly- a gleam in his eyes. The man charges while his blade is extended; limiting his options. He pulls the Katana back- and shifts his posture, slamming up the side of his sheathe to slam the other mans blade up- smacking his sheathe into the mans blade's flat as he flows backwards a step, recovering his blade before thrusting it for the mans own throat while the longsword is out of position to guard.

There are no words; he has no need for them. His blade speaks for him. His actions, his deeds.. he has no words for these men, he's already decided. He flows like wind; lethal and quick, dancing beautifully around their blows to deliver these fatal strikes. His eyes drift casually from man to man- to his kinsman, to his foes..

Battojutsu skillfully deposes of his opponent, who falls dead at his feet. It would appear that these attackers, whoever they are, aren't quite up to the task that they've been given. It's true that they did not expect Battojutsu's interference, but even without him, they are are still having a hard time killing his mysterious compatriot.

However, the ridiculous three-to-one stalemate is nudged in one direction when one of the attackers lands a kick on the westerner - something that doesn't do anything by itself, but does leave him more open to attacks from the next attacker. This is how the westerner receives a cut on his upper arm that is enough to rip through his clothes but at the same time apparently not enough to cause serious harm. He staggers back to the wall behind him.

"Your tricks won't save you." one of the men says. "You're going down."

"But what about the other one?"

The attackers glance over their shoulders and realize that Battojutsu has slain the two men that were supposed to take care of him. "By the Maker! He's killed them!" one shouts in disbelief.

"Pull yourself together!"
    the first man growls. "Anthony! Hold him back while we finish this one off! And don't die."

The third attacker, the one sporting long fighting knives, breaks from the others and stands some ten feet away from Battojutsu, threatening to throw one of the knives at him. "Not a step farther. I mean it!" he warns him. His posture and body language suggests that he knows what he is doing.

Asher headed towards Victory Square, through the Darkreach Gates. Not the most direct path to the inn, but it held more corners and alleys Asher could disappear into.

No one is following me, at least not physically. I can't tell if that's bad or good at this point.

Darkreach Gates were closing in as Asher moved with the crowd.

Auri the Insatiable

Auri shoots a quick glance to Maggie and whispers, "It seems my diplomatic duty calls, my dear. Will this interfere with our aforementioned plans or..."

Maggie shakes her head. "So long as it doesn't take long; and if it does, we'll just be a little late to dinner, or I can run with a message. I couldn't leave now at any rate; there is something not right here."

Auri the Insatiable

Auri nods with a pleased grin upon his draconic features. "I am of the very same opinion! Let us get to the bottom of it!"

He turns about with his dragon-cane and waddles along with the guard, matching the fellow's pace. "Why, that is a fine idea, except that I will have to impose upon your commander to come and visit me! For I am not letting these two out of my sight until I am met with satisfaction! Do show me this process of yours, won't you?" With that, the voluminous ambassador looks to the two "troublemakers," studying their features, items, and all other clues that might help himself know them better (if only perhaps to recall them later). He glances skyward, "A fine night for a stroll, all of us together, wouldn't you say?"

Battojutsu Honda

Demonslayer of the West

The man chuckles sardonically, as he frees his blade of his last foes body to flow backwards, a grin finding it's way onto his face- a gleam burning in those eyes.

"....Come now. Is that all..?"

He taunts in a soft tone, as he sheathes his blade once more and then shifts. He crouches for a moment- ten feet away from his foe. He breathes in.. and out. He gauges the way the man intends to throw... And then he kicks of the ground in a charge- moving with an advancing charge. He draws his blade once more- another fluid draw-slash; this time aimed for the arm holding the knife his foe /isn't/ about to throw; bracing himself to dodge while charging, as best he can; intending to take the knife on one of the slender plates of armor he's wearing; turning it into a glancing blow as he charges to disarm him of his other weapon.

[spoilers=OOC]

Advancing Stance, normal attack. Just, flufffin it up.

Battojutsu's bold action nearly comes with a cost because the man lives up to his promise and throws one of his knives with practiced precision - but it hits the very edge of Battojutsu's shoulder plate and bounces off harmlessly. In the very next moment Battojutsu is upon him, and the man suffers a serious wound on his left arm. As result, he drops the remaining knife. The injury is not fatal, but he won't be using that arm again soon to good effect. He himself drops down to the ground. "I yield!"

The other westerner keeps up his defensive act. "Looks like the end of the road for you." he tells the two men fighting him. He speaks with a moderate accent.

One of the attackers turns around to check, and his face quickly turns furious. "Damnation! He was supposed to be alone!"

"What do we do?" his partner asks.

The first man, who is clearly the leader of the group, hesitates for just a moment. "Finish the job. I'll take care of the distraction." That said, he moves to attack Battojutsu with careful determination. Meanwhile, the second man beats his own sword against the westerner's. The two blades lock for the time being, as tension grows between the combatants.

Auri the Insatiable

Auri's thoughts come quickly like the rush of a river during a storm. At no time does he allow the prisoners to leave his sight. Quite a pickle we have ourselves in here. These warriors seem to be on a mission of sorts, perhaps to capture the very people they hold prisoner. If they are guilty of some chaos, then all this is fine. But... this human in charge does not follow protocol though he does act as if he is versed in it. Worse still, he and his fellows also seemed quite willing to kill their two prisoners right here in the public street if need-be. That makes me more curious and cautious than ever for the sake of my kinsman...

So, what happens if I stroll down to his commander's office only to find out that Maggie and I have been duped? Say the commander knows nothing about this incident and when we follow the trail, we find the prisoners long gone and forever out of our reach? Or worse still, to come across their sorry corpses dumped in one of Alicante's many dark alleyways and me left with just the memory of failure and the guards' faces and gear to go by? Nay.

Besides, these men act very strangely. What if they are not guards after all, but imposters playing the role? Oh no. Even if his position is true, this fellow may have a duty to whomever he calls his liege, but I still have a duty to mine.

Perhaps we can make a deal...

At the shift of the guard's demeanor, Auri provides a shift of his own. "Watchman, you say you are going to follow protocol regarding your rightful prisoners? I find that a little hard to believe given that you are not following proper protocol yourself, now are you? Consider this: I have given you my name and position, and my friend has seen fit to provide the Maker's healing touch upon your wounded man, but you have yet to even provide your own name and title. Even moreso, you have not provided your commanding officer's name, have you? How am I to fulfill my duties to my people? I do not mean to pry further into your business, but for the sake of my duty, I must have something to work with."

"So here is what we do - we follow in the footsteps of our own leaders and compromise. You have a duty to your superior; I have an equal duty to see my kinsman is treated fairly. You say you are taking them in for processing? Of course! I but wish to follow at a respectful distance to the place of processing; the jail, one might presume. Once I see that my kinsman has entered your legal house safely, I will withdraw." Auri nods firmly.

"Furthermore, I will forgive both your fellow's earlier disrespect and yours, but you must give also - I ask only your name, the name of this so-far elusive commanding officer of yours that you sorely wish me to meet, and the name of my kinsman whom you hold captive. I require that to do my work, but naught else." Auri adds with a heavy stare. "That is not too much to ask for continued peace between our people, hmm?"

In the best of scenarios, he works with me, Maggie and I continue on, and I go about my duty as I have done before this guard's grandfather was in diapers. Things will be as diplomatically peaceful as they can be. But... in worst of scenarios, Auri broods, if I am forced to leave with nothing, I might be condemning my fellow drakkar and the shadow elf to a murderous end at the hands of these possible imposters!

By my sacred duty to my people,
I shall get highly creative here and now before I let that come to pass!

Maggie listens to the discussion with a frown on her face. There is definitely something secretive going on; the guardsman's words and actions alone indicate that, as Auri has pointed out. "It is indeed a fair night for a walk. We seem to all be heading in the same direction in any case; why not walk together? Then Auri can see that all the proper paperwork is completed, and we can get the name of this commander of yours, and all will be well, hmm? And then we can all go on with our night after our walk."

Battojutsu Honda

Demonslayer of the West

He nods, as the one man yields. He breathes- and steps away from that one, sword still low to the ground and drawn. He shifts- flicking the blade so the edge faces his new foe rather than his old one- and steps diagonally towards the man.

"You chose.. poorly." He states calmly- as he mentally decides to question the one who yielded after this mess... even as his blade flows upwards towards his foes chest- intent on slipping between his ribs in a slash, if he can. It's simple, fluid motion. He smiles sadly at the man- pity in his eyes, but not remorse. He feels sorry for those he must cut down- but he does not regret the just path he walks, in his own eyes.

He simply keeps moving forwards, his eyes ever cast forwards even as the blade slides forwards- his hope to fluidly avoid his foes guard with the low, upwards diagonal sweep- even as he steps away from the yielding foe in the same motion, just in case he makes an attack after surrendering.

He does, after all, expect dishonor from them.

Battojutsu's aggressive move is partially successful. His target receives a slash across the left shoulder. Not exactly what he was hoping for, but it seems that this man is slightly better than the rest of his party. At the same time, thanks to his predictive defense, Battojutsu evades a surprise attack from the opponent who had yielded to him mere seconds ago; but had now picked up his fallen comrade's sword and swung at Battojutsu, hoping to catch him from behind. Just like he suspected; no honor at all.

Meanwhile, the other westerner loses the contest of strength as his sword is forced aside by the enemy who lands a hit on him in turn. It is the first serious wound that the westerner has suffered, but it's not serious enough - and he retaliates immediately after, more aggressively than expected as he takes advantage of the fact that his opponent is now alone.

"Now! Press him, idiot!" the leader of the mercenaries calls out as he continues carefully exchanging blows with Battojutsu. The just risen man attacks more aggressively.

At that moment A'kal finally makes an appearance, running into the fight from the street. He is battle ready, but it will be a few moments longer until he gets close enough to actually help.

Auri the Insatiable

Auri looks the fellow in the eye as best he can given their difference in heights. "I believe you have taken quite the risk in telling me this, soldier. Should we meet under less-formal tidings, I owe you a dinner fit for an ambassador and more." Auri stares at his fellow drakkar. "I leave him to your care and your good word. Safe travels to all of you."

He turns away with Maggie. Still speaking in low tones, he confides, "Either that man is the best liar I have ever met in over 300 years or he is honorable and risking much. He is taking the prisoners to Fort Artan and far out of my reach. I believe this case to be beyond my abilities to touch. All I can think to do is deliver a report to my people unless you know someone in or around Fort Artan?"

Maggie offers the officer a hopeful smile. "May we at least ask their names, so Auri has something to put on his forms? Even if they won't tell us, he can put that down too. Then we'll all go about our own business." To her friend's question, she shakes her head and replies, "I know no one there, that I know of. We can ask the others at dinner, and check with the Temple afterwards."

Time to do this quick. Asher thought as he headed into the inn. Go to my room, grab my notes, go into the shadowrealm and leave as quickly as possible.

As to what he will do after, Asher only had a general idea. Hide till dawn and tomorrow, deal with whoever sent that message.

Murder was against all that his guild stood for; you didn't need to kill to rob someone blind, or to avoid the guard. But it was in ashes, along with many of the people he once called friends.

Battojutsu Honda

Demonslayer of the West

The Demonhunter grimaces. Two on one? Acceptable odds, he decides calmly. He notes A'kal's arrival- and nods imperceptibly. He shifts his posture to a more defensive one- as he sweeps his blade for the gut of the man who just rose back up to strike him, looking for a hole in his guard created by his aggressive rush, while stepping back and raising his sheathe like a shield to ready himself for the other's strokes- he is wordless now, merely intensely focused on the battle at hand.

"Tch.."

Normal stance rather than advancing- totally neutral in stance to avoid any penalties. Attack on the one being more agressive of the two.

Even using a balanced fighting stance, Battojutsu still succeeds in killing his dishonorable opponent. Maybe it was the injury hindering his technique. Or more likely, it was the technique itself. This was no challenge for Battojutsu. Meanwhile, his countryman achieves similar results as he presses hard against his foe who receives a serious wound and is forced into a defensive posture... But to what avail?

With A'kal closing in and most of the mercenaries dead, the situation hasn't looked this grim for them yet. It's pretty clear that this battle is lost. And yet the supposed leader continues to fight, unleashing a series of quick blows aimed at finding and taking advantage of holes in Battojutsu's defense. This man is definitely more skilled than the rest, but he is clearly significantly below Battojutsu's level.

And that means, as Battojutsu now fully realizes, that he can pretty much do whatever he wants to him. His foe is fighting carefully, balancing offense and defense at the moment. An all out attack would end his life swiftly and at no real risk to the westerner.

A'kal is now close enough to attack either of the last remaining enemies next turn.

Maggie smiles sweetly to the drakkar and the elf. "Thank you, sirs." She nods in response to the soldier's look, then turns to Auri. "Dinner time? We shouldn't be too far behind the others, if at all."

Auri the Insatiable

"Absolutely, my kind and politely-asking dear! Let us be off!" Auri places his cane upon the ground in preparation to stroll. Then he offers his free claw to Maggie in a very gentlemanly manner. To the soldiers and prisoners, he waves. "I wish you all a finer evening than what we have had!"

Auri grins his gratitude to Maggie. "It certainly helps to have someone sweet in these diplomatic matters, for sometimes you get farther with sugar than with salt!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back