• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Completed Chapter VI: Eye of the Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

The small, ceramic eyeball still had a vibrant blue iris, embedded on a white sphere. It rested on the chest of drawers in his room, carefully placed to observe the entry. It hasn't turned black, and since nothing seemed out of place, Asher had to believe no one was in his room since he left. He closed the door and sat on his bed, then sunk into thoughts.

No one was following me. No one broke into my room. No one knew I was in Alicante. The person that contacted me was either using magic to surveil me, or they weren't observing me at all. In both of these cases, my plan of hiding away for the night had no purpose.

Asher was tired, and all he wanted now was to have a meal and go to bed. If anything did happen, he always had the shadowrealm to withdraw to.

Decided upon abandoning a part of his plan, he went to the ground floor to have dinner.

Battojutsu Honda

Demonslayer of the West

"Aku. Soku. Zan." The words leave his lips. To his countryman, they mark Battojutsu for what he is- as he incants the creed of his order once more. 'Swift death to evil'. And then he moves fluidly. His strike is a fluid continuation of his last against the other man- ripping his blade out of that mans body and towards his remaining foe in a blitz of cautious offense- he does not launch an all out attack, but he comes very near to it.

He is tired of this- and so he moves to put an end to it- even as he speaks once his blades work is done.

"....We have much to speak of, my countryman- I did not expect a familiar face in this foreign land."

Date: October 8th, year 3321

Weather: Clear, starry skies. Mild temperature. No wind.

• [media]
    [/media]

Around 20:30 h

The Manticore Tavern, Southeast Alicante

The huge main room of the Manticore is filled with people as varied as the foods and drinks that they are enjoying. There are a three dozen tables, some smaller and some larger. Torches line the walls and cast dancing shadows throughout the chamber. Right opposite from the entrance is a slightly raised floor part upon which a band of minstrels is currently playing a cheerful instrumental tune that subtly but powerfully enhances the atmosphere. There is a moderate amount of noise at present, just enough for no one source to really attract attention, except for the lively bout of laughter now and then.

Meric and Violet were the first to arrive, soon followed by Laurolf and Valtieri. The four of them occupied a large table near the far left corner and engaged in idle chatting until the rest of the Chosen showed up. Running slightly late were Battojutsu and A'kal who looked like they've been exercising and could use some refreshment. Not long afterwards Maggie entered the tavern, accompanied by a large drakkar whose presence turned more than a few heads around - but only briefly. It was possible that some recognized him for who he was.

At this hour the fellowship is finally gathered in one place, overseen by one of the waitresses; a young human girl with long, braided blonde hair who is now patiently awaiting to hear the orders of those who hadn't ordered yet. The two shadow elves were already drinking some peculiar liquid that was nearly as dark as the color of their skin. Laurolf played it safe with the biggest mug of mead the tavern had to offer.

Most people at the table are probably puzzled at the sight of Maggie's companion, but not Meric. As soon as he saw him the elf politely smiled and bowed his head in a gesture of respect. "This is certainly shaping up to be a more formal dinner than I imagined." He doesn't address Auri by his title, though it is clear from his demeanor that he knows who he is. He gives Maggie a subtle but inquisitive look.

And sitting very close to the fellowship but completely overlooked by them was Asher. He was alone at one of the smaller tables near the middle but closer to the Chosen's corner. Close enough to overhear their conversation if he chose to, thanks to his attuned senses. Seeing how their group was one of the most colorful around, he had to have taken notice of them by now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maggie smiles at everyone and claims a seat where Auri can sit next to her if he chooses, asking the waitress for a mug of tea and a bowl of stew as she settles her robes. "Everyone, this is my friend Auri. I've told him why we're here, and he wants to help! Oh, but we ran into a couple people on our way here, and if you know them--" she gives Violet a particularly meaningful look "--then you ought to know about it." She waits until the waitress is elsewhere and it seems that no one is close enough to overhear before continuing. "Their names are Rekt and Sen, and they're being taken to Fort Artan. I don't know if that's connected to what we're doing or not, but it seemed awfully fishy."

Auri the Insatiable

Ambassador of the Drakkar Nation

Walking with his cane, old Auri enters the Manticore as if entering the home of a friend. As an eatery in Alicante, the massive, round-bodied Drakkar has made it his business to know well such places. After all, people have to eat, and where there is eating, there is gossip! As he makes his way through the tavern, Auri smiles and gives a charming wave or a wink and pointed finger toward any familiar faces. Once at the proper table, he settles his considerable girth beside Maggie with a grunt. He lays his dragon-headed cane across his lap, his twin Drakkarian swords resting comfortably on his hips. He is clearly very much at ease with Maggie and his expression seems to display that he would also see it so with the priestess's friends.

Auri studies everyone at the table with open curiosity, giving Meric only a double-glance. Before he speaks to the company, he turns to their patient server and points to Maggie. "Put her on my bill," then with a sweep of his claw, "and add a round of the good stuff for everyone at our table! It is the least I can do for friends of my dear Maggie!" His huge tummy chooses then to emit a hungry gurgle. His eyes go wide as he adds, "Oh, and three house salads with red vinegar dressing, a wide loaf of wheat with butter, and roll out a small keg of your best mead to the table, if you please."

He turns to Battojutsu and A'kal, noting their condition. "Bring extra glasses for the keg; you two appear absolutely parched!"

Finally, he greets everyone at the table. "Indeed, I am Auri the Insatiable, ambassador of the proud Drakkar nation here in beautiful Alicante. To whom do I have the pleasure of meeting?"

The waitress takes notes of what everyone ordered with plenty of nodding and scurries off.

Violet stares at Maggie for a few long moments, frowning as she ponders what the priestess just conveyed. The look on her face is full of uncertainty, but she shakes her head. "I know no one under those names. One is a Western name uncommonly used among my kind, the other a popular drakkar name." she explains. "What do you mean 'bumped'? What makes you think they may be... friends of mine?"

Meric looks from Auri to Maggie and Violet, then settles his gaze back on the drakkar. "I thank you for your generosity, Ambassador." he says. "You probably don't remember me, but I remember you from at least one of my visits to the Royal Palace - though we were never properly introduced. I was with the elven delegation from Reindir. Three years ago." The look from his grey eyes is full of meaning. "Well, any friend of Maggie's is certainly welcome to sit with us. But out of curiosity... Just how good of friends are you? Go far back?"

The last question is clearly directed at Maggie. What Meric clearly means by this is to check if Maggie knows what she's doing. The dinner was, as she well knows, meant for a subtle, undercover discussion of tomorrow's plans.

Maggie answers Violet first. "We came across what first appeared to be the Watch cornering them for an arrest. It seemed a little odd, and one of them being Drakkar, it was rather Auri's business to know what was going on, so we stopped and asked. They were strangely reluctant to explain matters, but finally said that they were taking the two to Fort Artan, which I took to mean they weren't Watch at all, but a unit of soldiers of some kind. Beyond the oddity of the encounter, I've no real reason to think you knew them, but the army isn't just dragging random people off to their headquarters, are they?" She frowns, obviously realizing that question may not be as rhetorical as she'd intended. "I hope not, at least."

The priestess then speaks up in response to Meric's suspicion. "Oh, I've known Auri for about a year; he and I became friends under much the same circumstances I met you." Her glance includes everyone at the table, not just Meric. "Well, not with the monsters and fog and all, but we found...common cause, let's say. I knew that he would not only want to help us, but is perfectly trustworthy in such matters." She smiles at Auri, then turns back to Meric and meets his eyes frankly. "I wouldn't have brought him if I didn't think you could trust him implicitly."

Violet bursts into laughter. "I'm sorry!" she quickly explains, looking between Maggie and Meric. But she can barely stop laughing. "It's not you, Maggie. It's him." As if the way she was looking at Meric wasn't enough, Violet nods towards him. "It's alright, Meric. Though I enjoy watching your pointless probes, you should know that the ambassador is already on our side. In fact, I believe he's been far more useful so far than you." She doesn't say it out loud, but it's clear what she means. Even fairly amused, Violet doesn't diminish her vigil for a moment. "It is a pleasure to finally meet with you in person, Ambassador."

Meric frowns first, blushes second, and sighs in defeat third. "Could have just said so." he tells the priestess, and a moment later it dawns on him. "Unless... You didn't know?"

Eventually Violet replaces the smile with her usual careful expression. "No." she says, looking back at Maggie. Her voice is noticeably quieter now. "They don't just drag random people off like that. Fort Artan means military. And military undercover means trouble. I don't know if those two are with us, but I'll look into it personally tomorrow. Whatever it is, it happened just now. Thank you for telling me, Maggie." She gives the priestess a smile an appreciative smile and then drifts away into her thoughts.

"Something tells me," A'kal speaks up, glancing knowingly across the Chosen, "That this visit to the capital will be far more eventful that my last."

After having his dinner, Asher was now preoccupied with spinning around the beer in his mug and passing a few worthless quips to some of the regulars he came to be familiar with during his stay, just enough to be able to blend in more easily. Only thing actually standing out on him were his pitch-black clothes, but people hearing him speak usually calms any suspicion.

He was actually long done with his business here, the beer lost its cool a while ago. Just as he was about to go to bed though, he heard the words "Royal Palace" coming from a nearby table where a company of at least eight individuals nested, apparently. Asher could only assume so much by sound alone. He counted them a while back as they were arriving, as he did with all the other groups of people that were sitting behind him. It was a good habit to have to avoid getting stabbed in the back.

Asher though about using a spoon's reflection to see who was behind him, but it wasn't reflective enough for that. Besides, any kind of reflective object could draw attention to him if the light bounced off at the group.

Some very interesting things were said by the company so far, but other than one of them having knowledge of the inside of the Royal Palace, Asher didn't hear anything useful to his cause. Still, he kept on listening, even though a lot of the whispers were getting lost in the noise.

Auri the Insatiable

The voluminous drakkar continues to listen and the others in between drinks and nibbles while doing a lot of watching and making no attempt at hiding it. The wizardly reptile could not help but be curious about how these folk interacted with one another.

He had caught Meric's name in the discussion, but that was all. To Violet, he replies, "My thanks, friend-of-Maggie. What do they call you, if I may ask?"

Battojutsu Honda

Demonslayer of the West

At the Scene of the Crime;

The Demonhunter cleans his own blade, after stepping back from the brutality of the battle; and then sheathes it. As he is bowed to- he returns the gesture out of politeness; bowing not nearly as low, but bowing nonetheless in turn to his countryman.

"It is good to see another from our home in these foreign lands, Akiyama. I am ever glad to protect any man who serves the Emperor faithfully and with honor- you need not thank me for doing the smallest, meanest part of my job; or if you must thank me? Do so by telling me why those men desired your death, and what brings you here- then perhaps accompany me a while and talk more as we walk?" He suggests calmly- his tone relaxed and confident- his manner inviting and warm.

At the Inn;

As the others discuss matters- Battojutsu finally walks up to the table to join them. He rubs his face- and let's out an almost bedraggled sounding yawn. It's an unusually unprofessional sound for the Demonslaying foreigner; but he trusts these people enough by now to let down his guard.. slightly.

"My apologies for my lateness. Matters involving a face more familiar than any I expected to see in this city called to me. What have I missed, my comrades?"

Maggie's blush rivals Meric's. "Oh! I'm so sorry. I did know, I just forgot to tell you." Abashed, she turns her attention to the table for a few minutes while the conversation goes on over her head. The priestess looks up when Battojutsu arrives just as Auri asks for Violet's name. "Oh yes, introductions!" She smiles at the new arrival and gestures towards Auri. "We were late too, but I think you've just missed small talk. If I may..." She nods to each in turn. "Auri, this is Meric, Violet, Laurolf, Valtieri, and A'kal and Battojutsu. Everyone, this is my friend Auri - though Violet knows him already, of course."

"Indeed." Meric nodded towards Battojutsu. The dismissive way he spoke painted obvious the intention to put the previous misunderstanding behind as fast as possible. "Didn't miss a thing."

Paleo-Pork-and-Parsnips-image.jpg
One by one, as they were introduced by the young priestess, the Chosen nodded, smiled, or otherwise confirmed their introductions. It was then that two waitresses arrived carrying the entirety of the placed orders - smoking hot meats, spiced sauces, and heady drinks - lowering them all skillfully in front of their matching patrons. The attractive human girls smiled and looked over the party before leaving; particularly Meric and Battojutsu.

"Salted pork!" Laurolf made no effort to contain his enthusiasm. "That'll be the best part of today! Sod them greater demons and lass-stealing lizards, I say!" He dug in with earnest appetite.

A'kal calmly cleared his throat, pausing with his mug in the air long enough to remark on the dwarf's words. "Not so loud, perhaps?"

"Quite." Meric agreed, scanning the room like a hawk despite no one seeming to give a hoot about the party. "This place is safe. I wouldn't have picked it otherwise. But let's keep the discussion between us just in case."

Whatever the dwarf's reply to that was, it had no chance of breaching the thick layers of meat that currently occupied his mouth.

Violet gazed thoughtfully at her mug of mead in hand. "It does bring us to business, though, doesn't it? Meric? You're the spokesman of the Chosen, are you not?" Though she hurried to hide it with a gulp, it only barely covered the smile on her face. For a change, Violet actually seemed to be having fun. Why on her compatriot's account was another story, probably related to their unsupervised trek to the tavern.

"If you say so." Meric didn't bite, however. By now he'd regained his composure and was clearly all-business. He focused mainly on Auri who was still the outsider in their little circle for now. "Your Excellency - or Auri, if we may speak as one friend of Maggie's to another - our group has a purpose in the city. One that we've come from afar to achieve." he said, keeping his voice down but still loud enough not to seem overly secretive. "Maggie? How much have you divulged already?"

At another table close to the party sat Asher with what was left of his room-temperature beer. Alone, but not forgotten. One of the waitresses stopped by on her way back to the kitchen to see if he needed anything else.

"Something else I can get for you, sir?" she blinked with a warm, customary smile.

Maggie smiles and thanks the servers who bring out their yummy-smelling meals. She waits until everyone has been served, then bows her head and whispers, "Maker bless this food, that we may use it for the greater good. And please watch over Dina and keep her safe." Looking up, she immediately begins eating, clearly hungry despite the snack Auri had provided on their walk. And speaking of that... "Well, we didn't have a lot of time to discuss it, but I think I hit the high points about the 'lass' Laurolf mentioned. Who she is, where we think she is now, that sort of thing."

• "In other words, pretty much everything." Meric's words were followed by a sigh. "Fine. If you knew he was one of us - meaning, you know, trusted - then you did the right thing. Saves us some explanations now."

"Yes." Violet nodded. She smiled at Maggie and then fixed her eyes on Auri. "We need to get Dina as soon as possible. Tomorrow, if we can."

"As soon as we figure out how." Meric corrected her. He looked a lot more worried now. "This isn't going to be like anything we've handled so far. We're talking about the Royal Palace here, for Maker's sake." Having said that, the elf lowered his voice and casually glanced around - and he wasn't the only one. Both Violet and A'kal were doing the same; the well practiced, natural-looking movements of those who were used to keeping their vigil in every situation. So far no one seemed to be paying attention to them, and no one within earshot looked too suspicious, either. "This is where she is strongest. The odds will be stacked heavily against us." From the way he said it, it was obvious who 'she' was. "We'll handle the tactics after dinner in a more suitable place, but I can tell you right away that it's not going to be easy."

"This is true." A'kal remarked, already refilling his cup. The northerner probably had to be doubly careful about keeping his naturally loud and deep voice down. "But remember that we have the element of surprise. As far as she's concerned, we're still in Darkvale."

Violet nodded. "Yes. We can do this. Show some faith, Meric. What's gotten into you all of a sudden?" She quizzingly eyed the elf.

"Nothing." he said in response, though from the troubled expression on his face it was clearly not nothing.

Battojutsu Honda

Demonslayer of the West

At the Scene of the Crime:

Battojutsu was quiet for the longest of moments, as he stared the other man in the eyes- and then nods, agreeing with the claim. He is not entirely certain about the Chosen- not with the recent betrayal and kidnapping; and yet, at the same time... he trusts this man, and the others still with him, more than he trusts most anyone else in this land. And so he hears his kinsmans words- and with a certain quiet about him, he waits for the other man to finish...

Before nodding solemnly. "Go then- the Emperor's will is beyond all, and I would not dare to risk hindering it. We will speak when we can; for my own task is urgent as well; for I was sent by the Emperor to work against the forces in this land responsible for recent demonic activity, and have found that, from what I know, this places ruler is implicit." He states simply, as he then inclines his head respectfully. "I am glad to know my deed of compassion this day served the will of the Emperor, as well as my conscience. May the Kami guide your blade in His service." He states solemnly, before turning to walk towards the meeting he agreed to- expecting the other man to do as he would in this situation, and simply.. disappear.

At the Inn;

Battojutsu is quiet for a time- soaking in the words of the others, and letting his furtive eyes flicker to each face in turn. He is quiet for the longest time- but as Merric seems so troubled, then hides his feelings- a weary sigh escapes him, and his eyes settle finally on the elf.

"..My comrade. I cannot yet call you friend, for I have not known you long enough to feel so honored as to dare do so; but I can call you comrade, for we have fought and bled together. If you have worries and concerns- surely you trust we, your companions and comrades, with all of us here, yes? Every concern you think of, is one that the rest of us might not. Every concern the rest of us forget, is the one that might kill us because you did not voice it. Come! Speak of your fears, that we might prepare for them, one and all."

Date: October 8th, year 3321

Weather: Clear, starry skies.

Around 20:45 h

The Manticore Tavern, Southeast Alicante

Meric looked up at Battojutsu with mild surprise, but hesitated until he saw Violet's reassuring smile as well as similar expressions on the faces of the others. "Fine, it's..." he started explained, getting lost in thoughts for one last but long moment before he could finish. "Well, on the way here I learned that Niara Shadowleaf is in Alicante. Remember, Violet? We overheard those guards at the square arguing. I thought she'd be at the front, but for some reason she's here instead. She'll probably be at the palace, too. That's what's bothering me."

Violet said nothing, but her smile waned until she looked a lot like Meric. Yet the gloom on her face was more akin to dissatisfaction than crestfallenness.

Maggie nods encouragingly when Meric seems to need it before he explains what's bothering him, but her normally cheerful expression turns somber upon hearing the problem. "Then we shall have to plan on avoiding her, as well. Surely she'll be with the sorceress, not wherever they're keeping poor Dina, at least most of the time." She sighs. "I hope they're treating her decently."

Though most of the conversation the group was having was lost in the noise of the inn, Asher did hear the Royal Palace being mentioned again, and he was pretty sure someone said "greater demons". He was getting a bit restless due to the information he thought might be valuable being nothing but a constantly interrupted stream of partial words. He had to get closer, somehow. Just switching his table without a proper excuse would arouse too much suspicion. He needed an obvious, maybe loud excuse. Nothing that would lead to him being kicked out of the inn though.

At that point, the waitress came up to him and asked if he wanted anything else.

Maybe direct spying wasn't the only option.

"Yes, some information on the interesting group behind me." Asher pulled out three gold pieces from his coin pouch and laid them on the table. He spoke with a low, soft voice, acquired through years of practice. It was just loud enough for the waitress to hear.

Before she was able to respond, Asher continued; "Here's three pieces for your trouble. And bring me another beer, would you?"

Auri the Insatiable

Auri fidgeted uncomfortably. There were dozens of better places in Alicante to discuss this than here in a public restaurant. If any enemy ears were near, their words could be shared with enemies of the Resistance, to the woe of all involved.

Auri's voice was just audible enough to be heard. "Should we really be talking about something this sensitive here? We could, instead, retire to the privacy of my residence or office if you please."

Then, in a small show of subterfuge he spoke in louder, more conversational tones. "Oh, if you think that one's good, let me tell you about the that one winter I rolled myself into a ball for a nap! I awoke to a bunch of young human children intent on making a snowman out of me! Oh, the looks on their sweet faces when I unfurled my wings, stood up, and roared, 'Merry Yulefest, everyone!' Ho ho ho!"

"Auri is right." Violet said. "We should. Right after dinner."

Meric shook his head. "Not the office, though. All the embassies are on Tenárus Square, and that's in the northwest quarter." The elf let his voice drop down slightly. "It's getting late. Crossing either of the bridges or even just going through a gate is too risky. I heard they've been halting people at random. Questioning them. Last thing we need. Where is your residence located?" He looked at Auri.

The waitress rolled her eyes and chuckled. "Them over there?" She didn't resort to whispering, though her voice was significantly lower than before. "That's his Excellency, the drakkar ambassador. He comes here a lot, so everyone knows him. A more joyful, fun-lovin' patron we've never had. Never seen the others, but they must be his friends." He glanced at the gold and then back at Asher. "But almost anyone could tell you that. It's nothin' special." The girl smiled and picked up a single gold piece. "You have to try our house brew, then! Best in the city."

At that she turned around and left, unless Asher wasn't done.

Vittorio Valtieri

The Gentleman Necromancer

Valtieri eats and listens in relative silence. Once upon a time, the Manticore was a preferred venue for an evening's unwinding - but Alicante hasn't felt so like home in a long time, and in spite of himself he spends more time watching shadows and studying faces than anything else.

Efforts to reach old contacts in the Watch had failed so far. If one didn't already know the evil that gripped the nation, the capital could pass for clean. Yet there was still an air of... hostility.

I will yet be asked to cross a most daunting and damning line, he thought, as the others discussed retiring to the goodly Ambassador's home. How many lives will we spend on this mission?

There was no sense keeping her away from her job further, as it might arouse suspicion.

An ambassador would know the inside layout of the Royal Palace, at or at least parts of it. The most important parts.

Asher could only listen at this point. He chuckled at the ambassadors attempt at masking what their conversation was really about, but it also helped confirm that it was indeed something important.

Someone mentioned the embassies and "crossing the bridge"; Asher assumed they had started to talk about leaving. If they left, he would follow.

Auri the Insatiable

Immediately after laughing out loud at his own joke, the old and cunning drakkar unobtrusively glanced around the tavern to see who else, if anyone, reacted to his display. In other words, Auri was looking for people who were paying attention to his party. Anyone unconcerned might appear annoyed or surprised with his loudness, but most would be attending to their own business and acting thusly. But others? Did anyone else laugh, face-palm, or otherwise react to his kookiness? If so, they were being watched and the question then was by whom. One look was all he needed, but he needed to be looking in the right spot at the right time. As in many of his past adventures, fate would decide.

Auri chuckled lightly and raised a claw to Meric. "Southeast Alicante, not far from Oakwood Academy. Nice thing about academies? Lots of delightful choices in eateries!"

Maggie laughs at Auri's joke, but the thought of spies pulls much of the heart from her laughter. She focuses on her dinner instead, as the others discuss moving the conversation elsewhere. After all, what does she know of counterspying, or whatever it's called? She is a priestess of the Maker, not a secretive agent of...whomever. She sighs, realising that by joining the resistance, she'd become an agent. Of right, and good, and all that matters, she told herself. It's a worthy cause. She frowns slightly, looking across the table at another who is eating silently. I've known these people for such a short time, but still, Valtieri is more a mystery than the rest. What does he think of all this, I wonder?

She giggles again, more sincerely, at Auri's last comment. "You always know where the best food is to be found, don't you?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back