• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Completed Chapter VI: Eye of the Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Hm. Sounds good." Meric thoughtfully remarked. "Alright then. We're off to Auri's residence as soon as we're done here. Thank you." He nodded respectfully at the drakkar.

Meanwhile, Auri's little security check turned up no results. Either really no one was eavesdropping, or they were too smart about it to fall for such a trick.

"Then quit yappin' and dig in, hm!" Laurolf said, still keeping up his enthusiastic pace. "Especially you, necromancer! Before ye start resemblin' yer minions!"

Violet rolled her eyes, but reached for her fork nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Auri the Insatiable

Ambassador of the Drakkar Nation

Though the large, round drakkar had eaten recently, he still found within him small corners of his tummy that were in need of filling, so that he did. If there were one thing in all the realms he knew well, it was his appetite. The thought of having people over to his home filled him with joy, for it had been too long since he had received houseguests. Auri looked up from his third salad plate at Meric's gratitude.

"It is nothing; you are friends of Maggie after all!"

Then the plate seem to call to him again... Pleased, he descended on it in a rather draconic fashion.

Maggie smiles, pleased that her friends are getting along so well with each other. She giggles at Laurolf's command, then follows it and quickly polishes off her own meal.

Date: October 8th, year 3321

Weather: Clear, starry skies. Occasional gusts of cold wind.

Cityscapes_night_houses_fantasy_art_digital_art_artwork_medieval_portuguese_1500x1000_wallpaper_www.wallpaperfo.com_45.jpg

Around 22:00 h

Outside the residence of the ambassador of Daskárd, Southeast Alicante

A cold wind that was not there before greeted the fellowship as they poured, one by one, out of the Manticore and onto the cobblestones of Asgard Square. The place had thinned down considerably in terms of passersby. There were only a handful of people to be seen, and even those hurried along their way, presumably eager to get off the exposed streets.

It was a straightforward trip to Auri's home; down the main street to Oakwood Academy with its many lit windows, most of which would stay lit throughout the night, then right until the next large junction. And they were there. The residence of the ambassador of Daskárd rose before them. An unusual yet probably safest place to plot against one's monarch.

(OOC cue
@Dannigan)

Auri the Insatiable

[media]
[/media]
Auri's home was enough.

It was quite the haven - large, round, warm, and welcoming - just like its owner. His abode was a custom-made small manor of stone design. It was a place to leave worries behind and embrace the creature comforts of life, especially if one were inclined to drakkar-sized comforts. Small hand-wrought runic symbols adorned the iron gate that guarded the home; "Compassion turns a house into a home," they read to passers-by.

Once through the gates and along the short path between rows of colorful flower beds to the tall double-door leading inside, it was easy to see that the outside was meant to bring calmness, security, and a sense of quiet pleasure to those who beheld the place. It was indeed, for this was Auri's way.

"Hello again, home!" Auri cheers as he passes through the grand double-portal and into his home. Once everyone is safely inside and his door is firmly locked again, he goes through what must be a daily ritual. With a whoosh, he puts his cane to his open palm and blows the handy device from his claw and into a nearby corner where it leans neatly. The wizardly fellow grabs up a stone kept in a nearby covered brazier and gulps it down. Then with an ease earned only through much practice, he spits out four bright little streams of crackling orange fire as he strolls through his foyer and living room.

One! Two! Three! Four! A candelabra's candles catch and glow here, the contents of a small cauldron with cups nearby warm there, the fireplace comes to life with a third gout of flame, and a fourth causes the ceiling torches to rise dutifully against the shadows about. When done, the beautifully-furnished living room is awash with warm light and little keepsakes and reminders from most the world over appear, ready for admiration.

"Welcome, everyone! Make yourselves at home. Seat yourselves wherever you like! Ohhh, it is so good to be
home!"

With a wave of his claw, Auri indicates the massive plush chairs and matching L-shaped couch that surround a wide, flat table that appears to be the cutaway base of some long-dead tree whose life rings are preserved forever in timeless beauty. Paintings of Alicante's notable places adorn the walls along with a few from realms beyond. There appear to be no stairs anywhere, but long rolling tunnels built inside the stone walls instead, stretching between the many tall chambers and twisting out of sight to travel up or down in the little manor.

In an odd way, it loosely resembled a park meant for children. Children Auri's size. Everything in his beloved home is meant for someone his girth and mobility. This means that it can very likely hold just about anyone else.

"Pardon a few moments; I'll be right back!"

With this statement, Auri turns toward one of the holes and he moves. With that move comes change. Beginning with a single determined step, he rolls forward and using that momentum, he curls himself up. His entire reptilian frame forms into one massive, nigh-unstoppable ball of Auriness. In his new shape, he rolls along leisurely as surely as a billiard ball toward a pocket until he reaches one of the tunnels that serve as staircases. Then up, up, up he goes until he disappears from sight. All around the manor, you can hear his heavy rolling along with his pleasant humming as he takes a few minutes to recheck and secure every window and drape until he is completely certain of his guests' privacy and safety.

In moments, he emerges from another great tunnel into the living room. Here, he unfurls himself in an unspeedy and natural fashion, coming to a stop back on his large feet, standing tall and upright. The old drakkar rubs his claws together with a pleased grin as he assures himself of everyone's ease and comfort.

"Much quieter than the Manticore, wouldn't you say? Now then... If any of you have need of anything, anything at all, bring it to my attention, won't you?" His warm, curious gaze fell across all present.

"
Now who would like to begin our little chat?"

The Chosen each reacted differently to Auri's... humble abode.

The look upon Meric's dark face was one of quiet fascination. Being of noble descent, he'd presumably seen plenty of mansions and villas featuring all kinds of luxury and unusual arrangements, but the ambassador's home still managed to impress him. That said, the impression dawned more brightly upon Violet, who openly admired the place. Laurolf trailed last, inspecting the architecture and mumbling compliments here and there.

As the others began settling down, A'kal approached the now returned Auri. "Judging by your home, ambassador, you would enjoy visiting my homeland. The Varden build large and tall, and are renowned for their masonry. I do have an unrelated question, though. How is it that you spew fire like that? I thought that tales of drakkar breathing fire were just, well, tales."

Maggie laughs and claps her hands, watching Auri light his candles in such a creative way. This isn't her first time here; she'd visited her friend at his home once or twice before, prior to her wanderings. Still, the warm, welcoming homeyness of it always strikes her anew each time. Like the others, she pauses to look around, in her case in familiar delight. However, Auri's actions in making the house secure from eavesdroppers, a reminder of the serious business they'd come here to discuss, causes her expression to shift to a more sober one. Gravely she takes one of the comfy chairs, kicking off her shoes to curl her feet under her in the massive chair, and waits.

Auri the Insatiable

Auri nods eagerly and lets out a hearty laugh. "Ho ho! Oh, but I have visited your homeland, A'kal! No one has stones like the Varden, if you like the double-meaning in that statement. In fact, that is where the birth of my elemental power was born!" The old drakkar opens a cupboard door. He carefully takes some cups and plates and with filled claws he carries them to the table while keeping an eye on the contents of the burning cauldron. Then he looks back at the cupboard door. He inhales and with a whoosh, he lets loose a cool wind just powerful enough to travel across the room and close the cupboard door with a clunk.

"You see, it was my first time as an ambassador to that wild and lovely land, and I wanted to make a good first impression. Being younger and no less insatiable than I am now, how could I resist when one of my Varden hosts dared me to sip from the witch's cauldron before us? Drakkar pride was on the line after all! So, without hesitation, I did more than sip - I grabbed her big pot, lifted the cauldron to my lips, and began chugging for all I was worth! Oh, did the Varden like that! Surprised, they whooped and cheered and stared and swore until at last, I was done. I placed the empty cauldron down firmly and before I knew it, the magic in that cauldron had changed me forevermore!" Auri chuckles as he reminisces. "Oh, it took me years of practice to do what I do now, but looking back, I would indeed do it all over again!"

There is a piping sound from inside the living room as the contents of his own little cauldron come to a boil. However, the contents of this particular cauldron are far less dangerous than the aforementioned. As Auri lifts the heavy iron thing up with ease, he goes to the collected cups and serves tea to all who might like some.

"Maggie? I've got my claws full over here." He peeks over the steam and the delicious herbal smells now wafting through the room. "Would you be a dear and fetch some fruit and cookies from the pantry, please? You know where they are."

"Besides,"
he raises his chin proudly, "it is not every day that I have fellow members of the Resistance in my home to serve! Now tell me what a new person should know, won't you? Only what you can, of course, and not a syllable more!"

Maggie jumps up. "Oh, yes!" She scampers to the pantry, finds a big platter, and fills it full of snack goodies. Returning to the group much slower than she left, she carries the platter carefully before her and sets it down on the table.

A'kal laughed genuinely at Auri's story. "A Varden witch's cauldron? Well, now I believe you've been everywhere... I underestimated you! Like my countrymen, it seems... Glad you were better off in the end. Far worse things have happened to people who drank from those cauldrons."

"Perhaps it's his drakkar physiology that was the deciding factor." Violet suggested, equally interested in the retelling.

"Must be." A'kal nodded. "I don't believe any drakkar has ever done that before you. Not many make it that far North to begin with."

"It smells wonderful. Thank you." Violet raised her cup of tea and sipped carefully. "Hot though. Beware."

Vittorio Valtieri

The Gentleman Necromancer

The Necromancer perches himself on what must be a footstool for hulking Drakkar, and makes himself comfortable. He accepts the tea with a grateful smile, and holds the cup under his nose for a long moment. His expression darkens as the conversation changes from magical oddities to the facts of their terrible mission, and sips thoughtfully.

"As much as we can tell, gracious Auri, is perishing little," he says, shifting in his seat at the memories of the quest thus far. "We have traveled far, and back again, and it seems we lose more than we gain - one of our number has been poisoned by some eldritch force, and has now been taken from us. We seem no closer to finding the means to defeating the sorceress beyond fragments of prophecy and labyrinthine mysteries rising from the past like monsters from dark water."

Settling his bill, Asher flew after the group which was just a few second away from him, but only a second would be enough to lose them in the winding streets of Alicante. He followed them, unnoticed, to a mansion which seemed to belong to the Drakkar Ambassador. The route turned out to be pretty straightforward.

As they were entering the manor, Asher had a choice to make. He didn't know if there were any security systems in place, but if there were, now would be the time they were disabled, especially the main entrance. He could wait for them to enter then take his time examining the manor for an entry point, but he would probably lose valuable information.

He decided to risk it instead. Far enough from the group to go unnoticed, Asher stepped into the shadow realm, leaving only a quickly dissipating cloud of blackness.

Swift as a shadow he ran into the manor before the door closed. Asher walked around the party as the ambassador put on a show for his guests, listening to their conversations, trying to tune out all the static the shadow realm carried. He got close to each and every one of the people in the manor and observed their faces well, trying to get a grasp on who he was spying on. No matter how close he got though, everything was still a bit blurry.

The man with the goatee finally confirmed what Asher was suspecting. They were enemies of the sorceress and members of the Resistance, in other words, someone useful to his cause. He felt like it was time to exit the shadows.

"You people should really be more vary of eavesdroppers. Luckily, no one but me seems to have followed you." Asher said after stepping out of the shadow realm, "It seems we share a goal."

Meric had just been nodding in approval of Valtieri's words and about to expand upon them, when a mysterious presence made itself known among them. The shadowy man's entrance was sudden, but not as sudden as the reactions of the Chosen. Meric's curved elven sword was out in the same heartbeat, answering the call of his incredible reflexes before he even had to make a conscious effort. Violet's dagger was out nearly as fast, and even A'kal, who would at first glance be taken for a slowpoke given his broad, tall figure, had equipped a dagger in one hand while his other hand was pointed towards the outsider palm-first, ready to draw magic. The dwarf, Laurolf, was the only one lagging behind - but under the excuse of having just emptied a handful of cookies into his mouth.

It was clear to the outsider, as well as to Auri who had not yet seen the Chosen in action, that they were deadlier than they appeared; possessed of a readiness not often seen and even more seldom matched. A short but tense moment later, Violet spoke in her demanding officer's voice: "Who are you?"

"He can shadowmeld." Meric said less loudly, as if he was making a private remark. The statement raised a few brows, for the art of shadowmelding was not something widely spoken of. Indeed, to many it was but a myth; one of those stories about monsters in the night told to frighten unruly children into obedience. But the monsters were no less real just because they were few and far between. What everyone gathered in the room did understand, however, was that the invoked talent had to do with the Shadow Realm - the plane of spirits beyond the sphere of the normal world.

"The only reason you still stand is because you appear unarmed." Violet continued. "I suggest you speak quickly. Explain yourself. Now."

Asher

The Jaded Shadow

Their reactions were expected, but if one of them was a hothead this could turn for the worse soon. Asher decided to make a quick introduction and see how things develop from there.

"I am Asher, a master thief." My name and why I could be useful should be a good start.

"It seems you people are against the Sorceress. I have information that could prove useful to your cause, specifically I've been investigating ways of getting into the Royal Palace the past weeks."

"Not a friend of the Sorceress, you say," Violet said, "But you're not with the Resistance either. Asher the master thief? You'll have to do better than that. Who exactly are you and why would you help us? What is your motivation?"

Auri the Insatiable

Auri is stunned that someone just materialized out of virtually nowhere, inside his home, and among his guests. For a brief moment, he feels the imaginary pain of suddenly feeling like The Worst Host Ever.

But he puts that aside and lets Maggie's friends do the talking. For he knows - there is much to learn and Violet is already asking the right questions.

"A heart to heart with a bunch of people I don't know is not something I'm willing to do. The Sorceress has wronged me greatly, enough to warrant my deep hatred for her. Besides, no word of mine will change you mind about trusting me. Maybe my actions speak clearer? I am here, unarmed and at your mercy, offering assistance in trade for help with my vendetta." Asher decided to confirm the Shadow Elf's observation of him being unarmed even though, with his crossbow and dagger concealed under his robe, it was a blatant lie.

Asher wasn't used to have to negotiate for any sort of service. He would usually let coin do the talking or find someone else, that is if his own people were unavailable. Offering valuables in this situation he feared would make them even more distrustful, or at least this Shadow Elf.

He wasn't the type to share much personal thoughts, a lifetime spent hiding where even a single slip could mean your downfall reflected itself in his own personality. But maybe there was a thing that was safe enough to share.

"I stem from Kossar. Everything that I am is... was related to it. You can imagine why I hate her."

Asher's sudden appearance had startled the priestess into spilling her tea. The process of cleaning up the drips occupies her hands while she listens to her friends' questions and the newcomer's less-than-satisfactory answers.

If anything, Maggie looks even more dubious after Asher's latest speech. "Let your actions speak for you? Thus far your actions have been to sneak, uninvited, into a private home and interrupt a private discussion. How exactly is that supposed to inspire trust in us?"

Asher

The Jaded Shadow

"True, my barging into your group like this isn't very trust inspiring, but I could only and did reveal myself as soon as I gathered that you were not the enemy." Asher turned his gaze towards the young woman, "Just to be clear though, how would you have preferred that I made contact? Maybe I should have knocked on the door and asked if I could join your group in it's efforts against the Sorceress? Is that how people usually do it?" Asher stopped himself before saying anything that he could not take back. He was a bit annoyed, but could not find a proper reason why. She was right. He was an intruder and they had every right to be suspicious of him. It was probably the sleep deprivation that had started to affect him.

"I apologise." Asher lowered his head a bit and took a deep breath. "You yourselves took effort not to be spied upon, and I assumed that you don't just place your trust into outsiders. Since lacking a way in, I decided to force the matter, for better or worse."

Auri the Insatiable

Auri decides to act. Suddenly, he opens his huge arms widely in an attempt to dispel the electric tension growing in the air. "Oh, my pardon, everyone! A new guest! How delightful!"

Auri looks the little human in the eye. "I do invite you to sit. So sit! Everyone!" He turns to each person in his home. "You too, Laurolf." Auri chooses to be the first to relax. "You see, I have been a terrible host to this young fellow so far. I hope there is the chance for me to make up for it!" He nods as if hoping so.

The great round drakkar turns away from the human rogue for but a moment. When he returns to the young rogue, there is something in his old claws - a steaming cup of tea and a plate of fresh cookies. Above all, there is a smile on the old ambassador's face - a real smile that tells Asher that Auri wishes friendship.

Auri says slowly and cautiously, "Let us start all over. Begin anew, you might say. Asher, was it?" Auri winks. "You have a decision to make, young one, here and now - and it is yours alone. You want our help? Then you must first trust us. Tell us in detail how the Sorceress wronged you." Auri raises a quick claw. "I know! You just stated that you did not want to do this, and I believe you. We need not know everything... but... you have learned things about us in your eavesdropping, have you not? In a sense, we have given. Now it is time for you to give. I do not want to do what I must if you elect otherwise."

"Think about it, young Asher. You have, after all, broken into the home of a much-decorated drakkar ambassador; one who has held that proud title longest among his own proud people... spied on him and his guests... in front of many witnesses... and surely a cunning fellow like yourself must be armed with more than your wits in a dangerous city like Alicante..." Auri glances once at Asher's body before returning his gaze to the young human's eyes. Auri clearly does not believe for a minute that a man like Asher walks the city without so much as a dagger on his person.

His expression seems to almost plead, "Don't be a fool - Help me help you..."

Auri smiles again, attempting to look pleased with the situation as he tries very hard to bring some good into it. "So... if you please... welcome to my home! Relax. Be my guest, Asher! How and when does your tale begin? What do you have in common with us? Besides," he adds with a hopeful grin, "this may be your one and only chance to tell us. And in the telling... perhaps join us?"

Auri inhales, his massive chest expands as he takes one long sniff of the delicious-smelling tea and cookies.

They are offered to Asher once more.

Violet and Meric both looked like they were just about to cross-examine the thief when Auri decided to act. As the drakkar spoke, however, their tension dissipated. So they listened through, just like the others, and it was clear by the end that their respect and opinion of the ambassador had grown by no small measure.

"A guest, then." A'kal slowly nodded. "That changes things, I believe. Thank you, Ambassador."

Violet sighed. "I cannot deny the wisdom in those words. I hope you will not let it go to waste, master thief Asher. Or else this burglary will have been for naught." There was but a trace of warning in her tone; a fine edge of a threat unspoken.

Everyone seemed much more relaxed now with their weapons sheathed (though still at hand). Laurolf most of all, perhaps, having happily resumed sampling Auri's cookies.

Taken aback by the hosts reaction, Asher took a minute to mull over what the Drakkar just said. He chose to accept his invitation and sat himself down. Afraid he might misread the hosts intentions and expressions, he decided to go the peaceful route.

"Yes, I took information from you and have given very little in return. I have to apologise for my previous statement about being unarmed, I was merely trying to avoid fuelling the fire even more." Asher pulled out the dagger, crossbow and his quiver of bolts then placed them on the table. "All that I have on me now are my lockpicking tools and some parchments."

Asher thought about the offer. There was a difference between revealing and trading things, though as a thief the latter was very seldom. "A trade for the information I already took, a sort of payment? I can work with that." Asher took a second, piecing the memories together, "I was the head of Kossar's thieves guild for almost a century, until we had to flee for out lives from the Sorceress' invading armies. The city guard itself requested my assistance with the evacuation of its people, which I would have done anyway but at least I had approval now. My group consisted of a few guards, my subordinates and comrades and all the poor and weak that could not fend for themselves. We were slow, too slow to escape the invading masses - we were cut down swiftly, with only me surviving by barely escaping into the shadow realm before losing consciousness."

"Three years later, I am here in Alicante trying to get into the Royal Palace and kill the Sorceress. In order to do so, for the past two weeks I've been climbing the walls, scouring the sewers, watching the patrol paths and guard rotations, and drawing maps of the palace area. But the undertaking is too big for one person, so I need help." Asher stopped, thinking that would be enough.

"So the guild was real?" Meric frowned upon Asher's testimony. "I've not traveled the East many times, though I've heard rumors..."

"It be more than rumors, if I may." Laurolf chimed in. "Well, or was, at least. Trust the dwarf on this one."

"Alright," the shadow elf allowed, "But a master assassin as well as a master thief? Because that's what it would take. No less. Do you even know who you're up against?" he eyed Asher with incredulity. "What, were you hoping to break into the castle and stab her in the back? Was that the plan? An ambitious goal, master thief. Our group is larger and better prepared, and even we hadn't set our sights so high."

"We could, though." A'kal noted, somewhat absent-mindedly.

"What?"

"Assassinate the Sorceress." the northerner said. "Asher's gathered intelligence coupled with the ambassador's insight might just give us the edge we need."

"Dina is our priority." Violet hastily interjected. "She's the reason we're even here. It's her we came to save, remember?"

"Of course. But perhaps we could do both."

Maggie nods approvingly when Asher not only gave them more of his background and intentions, but revealed and set aside his weaponry as well. Actions and words both were uniting in a show of trust, and she finds that a definite improvement over his initial appearance.

She is rather taken aback when the discussion turns to assassinating the sorceress. "Is that our only option?" She sighs. "I know she has shown herself to be evil and the consort of evil, but I can't help but wonder if there is another way. I admit I expect our long-term goals at least to result in her death, but by virtue of my calling as well as my inclination, I really have to ask."

She nods at Violet. "And Dina is definitely our priority tonight. The sorceress can wait; Dina's time is running low."

Maggie's words caused more than a couple brows to go up.

"Well what'd ya think was goin' to happen' at the end of the road, hm?" Laurolf asked, as lively as always. "That she'll get locked up and 'serve her time'? I'd send her to hell for what she's done - if only that weren't where she came from in the first place! I don't think the likes of her deserve your Maker's mercy, lass. That woman may look human, but I'd bet a stone quarry there be a proper demon beneath..."

"That's enough, Laurolf." Meric said.

"Just to be clear where I be standin' in this here assassination poll."

"There is no poll. This will be a rescue mission, nothing else. Like Violet said." He looked at Violet who nodded respectfully back at him. "Now, if the path to saving Dina happens to lead through Ilhirel... That will be a different matter. She is not to be underestimated - and I cannot stress this enough. Have any of you even seen what she's capable of? If not, trust me on this. I doubt the whole lot of us could defeat her even if she were alone. But in the seat of her might? Forget it. We need to learn more."

"And we need more allies." Violet added. "But first, a plan. We need to pool all our knowledge and resources together and think of a way to do this - infiltrate the palace district, locate Dina, and escape the city. Somehow."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back