• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Completed Chapter VI: Eye of the Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf Rawrrr

Wolf-Knight
Supporter
ljrFqEO.jpg

Chapter VI: Eye of the Storm

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln​

As soon as the blazing light of the portal receded, the girl and the drakkar were no longer in the Maker's shrine in Dunn. Their surroundings were very green, a place where well groomed cypress-pines cast their elongated shadows in the late afternoon sun while arrays of colorful flowers bloomed in every direction. A garden, enclosed by walls on all sides. But this otherwise heart-moving beauty was easily overpowered by the sheer horror of what just happened. Xenthriss, who had been mysteriously missing since the expedition in Zvern Azna, suddenly reappeared in Dunn; murdering several temple priests and making off with Dina through a portal. For what purpose she did not know, but was probably going to find out soon...

The drakkar stood right next to her - a towering heap of black scales that reeked of death. He grunted something incomprehensible and licked his sharp teeth. His smoldering red eyes spelled nothing nice for the young girl that they rested on at the moment. Behind Xenthriss the stone path led to a great double gate in the side of a very large structure. Some castle, surely. Where could he have taken her, and why? It seemed like a never-ending stream of complications. Just as she had found out a little more about the current threat she faced, a new one appeared. Over and over again.

Dina fought two impulses inside of her: to scream in rage, or to fall to the ground in tears. She chose neither. Her eyes darted all around, taking in the scene as quickly as she could. Her heart beat a deadly rhythm against her ribs still, but the neatly kept garden was helping her calm her nerves. She couldn't say that she ever liked Xenthriss. The very look of him made her question the deal he must have made with her captor. If she didn't prove interesting enough to keep around, he would surely make a meal out of her.

He must be enjoying this. Just look at him. Dina fidgeted in place. I must not let him think me helpless, or I'm done for. She took a few stabilizing breaths. One more, another. Her jaw tightened, her back straightened, her eyes focused ahead. Back straight, shoulders low, neck rigid and chin held high. All good. This is a good posture. She looked over Nature's children, preparing to establish first contact. I greet you and ask if you know whose words bring about the keepers of this garden. Fear me not, I bear the taint but am green to the core. You can trust me. Dina addressed the plants as she waited for her uncertain fate to play out now that she has been brought out of her trusted circle of friends. Xenthriss would lead her, present her like a prized new pet for his master.

The drakkar produced another grunt-like puff of a snarl. For a few moments he seemed annoyed. "Nothing to say? What's the matter, nargyen got your tongue?" he grinned, proudly displaying his two rows of deadly sharp teeth. "You have no idea where you are or what's going to happen, do you?"

"Green!" another voice said, completely in contrast to the drakkar's deep, rough barking. "Green to roots! And sings!" it said again, with unhidden excitement and happiness. The sheer innocence that emanated behind it made Dina feel a pleasantly warm sensation in her mind.

And then a second voice joined in, somewhat deeper and drenched in concern. "Green taint! Foolish roses!" it accused and mumbled in fear: "Dark waters in disguise..."

But the first voice - the nearby roses, Dina felt - argued, if something so gentle and buzzing with happiness and joy could ever argue, that is. "No! She smells green!" it said. "Green and singing, green and singing, green and singing!"

"Silence!" the second voice silenced the roses. "Do not trust. She will wither you."

This gave the roses pause and they grew quiet in confusion. Dina was able to read their emotions perfectly, because they still reached towards her with their delicate mental tendrils, still trusting despite the apparent danger. "You... you sing?" the roses asked shyly. "Please don't wither us! We love your scent. Are you Singer?" At the mention of that name, all Nature's children in the garden went quiet in anticipation.

Dina spared Xenthriss only a sideways glance before giving her full mental focus to the plants. I am Singer, the one who would speak to Gaean and help cleanse Tellurn, who drank from both springs. She tried to persuade them, to let her determination show clearly through their bond. She had nothing to hide from them nor did she want to. For being human made her see one thing clearly: Every person had a choice - to nurture what felt right and true, or to give in to the easier path of power born from malicious lust. Her choice was made more apparent, made visible to the world around her. The powers of Taint and Nature mixed together and she could call on whichever one she preferred.

"Yes! We knew, we knew! Singer!" the roses readily accepted, already wrapping their gentle mental vines around Dina's in acceptance.

With this connection made she could feel them stronger than ever before. She could read them like a book. A book whose recent pages were full of fear and loneliness. The opposing voice belonged to a hazel shrub, she suddenly realized as well. Hazel was now murmuring incomprehensibly, radiating uncertainty more than anything else.

"This garden was kept by the great ones among your kind." said the cypress-pines that had kept stoic until then. "Those that are now only roots in the ground and nothing else."

"How did you get here?" the roses asked. "You didn't grow here, or we would know!"

Faintly aware of Xenthriss impatiently staring at her, Dina decided to give him something to look at. More visible... I should make it obvious. It never hurts to appear as threatening as one can when in company of those who only understand that language. Dina thought and pulled from within, bringing both powers to the surface. Readily crawling just beneath her skin. It was not a pleasant sensation, but she endured it. The prickling of the Taint like acidic bites against her skin, every hair on her body rising like an antenna. She was after that menacing look that she had the night she arrived to Dunn, when the spirit possessing her called on the full power of the Taint and her eyes glowed purple. Dina wondered if her touch would make a bud open in bloom or wither. She indeed felt both her powers at her fingertips. It would probably depend on whether or not I can separate the two for long enough that the other does not affect the object I'm focusing at.

Unfortunately, calling on the Taint like that scared away the children of Nature. Especially the poor roses. They were the first to withdraw their tendrils in shock and fear, and the girl could feel the sting of their broken trust as they probably thought she decided to wither them after all, even though she merely readied the power inside her and not actually used it yet. The cypress-pines returned to their stoic behavior and the hazels whipped her with accusing tones. "We knew! The Taint stirs!"

"Just what do you think you're doing?" Xenthriss' draconic growl snapped Dina from focus, but it was all the same. After the display she just pulled off, it wasn't likely that she would get much interaction from anything in this garden without much persuasion, for which she didn't have the time. "Oh, I see!" Xenthriss growled, clearly taking notice of what the girl was doing, even if he didn't fully understand it. "Up to something after all, are you? You're lucky I am to deliver you alive... and unharmed." The drakkar pushed her towards the nearby gates to make sure she gets the message.

I didn't mean it that way. I should have asked more clearly... Who cut your branches and gathered the fallen leaves would be closer to home. Dina mused. There is no need to fear, I am just rustling my leaves to scare those who would hurt me. The same ones who took me and brought me here. She gathered all the softness she could and given it to these thoughts as she sent them to the plants. And as for Xenthriss, she thought of threatening back but instead just let the Taint crackle like static electricity where the drakkar pushed her, hoping to give him a little zap of a warning. As she walked she made sure to center nature's power at her feet. She would not risk spreading the Taint's influence here.

Something about Dina must have relayed the warning message well, for the Drakkar did not push her again. Instead, he opened the door for her and let her walk ahead while following a short distance behind in silence.

Dina felt a growing sensation of familiarity. The hallways and their intricate tapestries and artworks hanging off the walls seemed like a distant memory. A memory suddenly brought to life when the two finally emerged into what she immediately recognized as the throne room of the kings and queens of Asgard! She was in Alicante! And on her right, still far across the huge chamber, stood the ancient throne of the royal Tenárus bloodline... currently occupied by a woman clad in red. That is all she could make out at this distance.

She apparently came through a side entrance about halfway through the chamber, and the actual main gates were some distance on the left. There didn't seem to be anyone else present. Dina gave Xenthtriss amused glances while he walked behind her, not meeting his eyes but observing the way he maintained a safe distance from her. This is what being a Songstress feels like, hmm? Dina couldn't deny that it was somewhat pleasurable. She let the purple hue recede from her eyes, along with any outer sign that the tainted powers still danced just under her skin. But she kept them there, at the ready, not knowing if she would have to use them at a moment's notice.

Alicante... Ilhirel! That was surely her sitting on the throne. Dina's mind was racing. How much did she know? Why was only she here? Did the drakkar tell her everything? In a fit of sudden rage she stopped short and brought the Taint back into her eyes. "Say one word to her while I'm here and you will be a beautiful sculpture." Dina growled low, a storm in her eyes biting at Xenthriss. This was all that she would say to him. Her fingers moved at her sides, every muscle of her arms tense as she took a deep breath. She was where she belonged. Why don't I just take it? Turn the both of them into silent guardians at the gates. Malice danced through her. Her fingers moved in waves, so close to juggling tainted lightning. Dina curled them into fists and forced herself to calm down. She pushed the Taint back down. Her jaw was never clenched so hard as when she started walking again.

The great, dreadful drakkar was too astonished to mount a reply in time. He'd never seen Dina like this and she had never seen him like that. He was visibly tense, holding himself back and reducing his reactions to a barely audible growl. He kept up with the girl all the way to the end of the trip where he barked: "That's far enough!" She stood but a dozen feet from the throne.

And the woman sitting there stood up. She was no more than average height, had medium length blonde hair and green eyes that she could discern even at a distance. Quite beautiful, altogether. The red robe that she wore was woven with golden runes whose meaning Dina couldn't even guess at. She held herself proudly and smiled politely when she finally spoke, looking directly in Dina's own eyes. "I am Ilhirel. Welcome. You must be Dina Tenárus. I have been waiting for you." She spoke slowly, stressing Dina's last name with an odd fascination. In fact, she seemed to be studying the whole of her with the same fascination, unnerving and uncanny.

From that moment, Dina started feeling something immense emanating from the Sorceress, an aura of sorts, on the bare edge of tangible. It made her feel somehow. It was like it mixed the girl's thoughts and feelings all together in a bowl, resulting in a mixture that had no proper name. One thing was sure - Dina never felt the way she did in her whole life as she did standing before Ilhirel then. And you are the one who killed my family? Or... Ailsa. I'll be Tenárus when I take my throne from you. Dina couldn't decide on how to start. Why would she stand up? If it were me I would stay sitting on the throne. Why would I even try to understand her? Like it matters. But what she said out loud was: "I'm curious. What is it you know about me?" And why are you so fascinated?

Ilhirel smiled. It was a real, beautiful smile that made it seem very improbable that this person was responsible for the fall of a kingdom and the plotting of a world's destruction. She took a few more steps towards Dina until the two of them were separated by only a few feet. And she didn't take her eyes off her once. The Sorceress looked at the girl as if she were the most precious thing she'd ever seen. "I know who you are," she said slowly, relishing every word, "Heir to the throne that I conquered. I did not even know you existed until recently, or anything else about you, but this one has told me everything since." She didn't have to point out Xenthriss. Apart from there being no one else around, the drakkar made another low growl. "You've been a good boy, Xenthriss. You delivered Dina as promised, and you shall have your reward. As promised. For now you may go." the Sorceress dismissed the drakkar as if he were a pet.

But Xenthriss cleared his throat to speak first. "My Queen, she... There is something wrong inside of her. The thing I mentioned before, I have seen it now. She -"

"Xenthriss." Ilhirel said, a whole lot less lovingly. "You have told me enough. I shall see the rest with my own eyes. Go. Now. I wish to be alone with Dina."

No guilty conscience what so ever. Sign of a true monster. Dina clapped her hands together, bringing the Taint right out - out of her eyes, her skin, everywhere. Making an aura of her own, one could say. "You will. Care for a demonstration?" Dina purred and turned her focus to Xenthriss who was just about to turn and leave, summoning crystals to trap him, enclose him, suffocate him. The effect was immediate, but less accurate than what she had in mind. Dina felt the earth itself tremble ever so slightly as one, two and finally three crystal spikes burst through the ground in all their corrupted, dark purple glory like bloodthirsty hounds answering the call of their master. They rose in a circle around the drakkar, one of them halting its sharp tip a mere inch from his face. He wasn't trapped or even injured, but he was paralysed with shock at least for the moment, staring death in the face with disbelief. It gave Dina satisfaction to see the indomitable Xenthriss vulnerable like this, faced with his own mortality.

The Sorceress clapped her hands a few times, slowly, standing right where she was in genuine amazement. "I am impressed." she said, nodding her approval like a mother to a child. "There seems to be a lot more to you than meets the eye. So these are the mighty powers of the mysterious Taint I've heard about? Aimed at poor Xenthriss at that, though I suppose he does deserve it." she smiled, this time a more devilish smile. "Leave us, drakkar, before I let her have you."

Xenthriss stared in disbelief some more and then finally bowed his head. "Yes, my Queen..." After saying that, he turned around and began carefully maneuvering between the jutting crystals to leave. It was shocking to see him so obedient. After all, his betrayal probably took place mere days ago after the Chosen left the temple in Daskárd, and he was a completely different person back then. The question was what did the Sorceress to do break him so effectively, and so quickly?

Ilhirel looked at Dina with satisfaction and a leftover measure of the same fascination that was there all along. "You have great potential, Dina." she said. "Without proper guidance it will be wasted when you meet your untimely demise, I fear." Ilhirel stepped even closer, walking up to stand right next to Dina until their faces were inches apart. Their minor difference in height was most visible then, because Ilhirel had to look up, even if only slightly. "But I could help you, if you like."

"And what is it you could do to help me with something you obviously experienced for the first time... Your Highness?" Have me use it in a way that would prove favorable to you? Naturally. She knows power in general so she will play on it for sure.

Dina's reply drew a knowing smile on Ilhirel's face. "Power is nothing without measure and direction." she said authoritatively, turning her back on the girl and walking away a short distance while continuing. "And I'd say you lack both. That's something I could help you with. You are young still, your powers - both of them - recently acquired. You can only get so far on your own. What you really need... is a tutor."

Having said that, the Sorceress faced Dina once more and shot her with a cunning, intelligent look. But there was something else there. A measure of satisfaction, no.... desire, perhaps? It was hard to read those tempting green eyes, Dina realized. I have tutors. Nature itself, the Spectrals. Was I not in a fast paced, moving mess they would be more than enough. Dina had a few quiet moments of contemplation. But here I am. If I want to drag this out until I can think of a way that'll get me out of this mess, then I have to play along.

Finally, the girl bowed and said: "If you would, please teach me."

Last edited:

• October 8th, year 3321, around 19:00 h

The Maker's Temple, Southeast Alicante

The portal of Dunn's Mages Guild was no angelic Atavr - it could not transport the fellowship to any place imaginable. Instead, it only allowed travel between other linked portals that were scattered throughout the kingdom. And of the portals in the capital, Meric voted that the safest option was the one located within the walls of the Maker's Temple. So, with the others agreeing, that's where they went. One by one they entered the azure glow to exit on the far side, closing the distance of hundreds of miles in an instant. This usually very costly means of transportation brought them as close as the far side of the city from where the abducted Dina was. The Maker's Temple in Alicante was the largest of all on the continent and a fitting seat for the leaders of Creationism. It was here that Maggie grew up, having been abandoned on its steps when she was but a child. She was the only one who'd feel like home here, despite the fact that she spent years away while she traveled the kingdom on her pilgrimage.

Meric was the first to cross over and could now be seen standing on the side, nodding as each of his companions came through. At the count of six he finally looked content. Everyone made it through, unlike last time. Well, with the exception of Sanya Sarkov who remained behind to meet with the Resistance leaders in Darkvale and deliver Violet's report. Dina's rescue was thus left to Meric, Violet, A'kal, Maggie, Valtieri, Battojutsu, and Laurolf. A group colorful and large enough to attract attention, which is why it was good that their means of transportation avoided the main gates and the garrison stationed there, as Meric was just explaining.

"And the last thing we need is to attract attention." he said, acting like a class instructor. "Maggie, you may have grown up in this temple but you said yourself that you've been away for a long time. Who knows what might have changed since. This isn't Dunn anymore. No one can know who we are or why we're here." He dispatched a cautious look towards the priestess, clearly waiting for a reply.

The portal room was large and ornate, with the portal itself standing on a tiled island in the middle, surrounded by a shallow pool of crystal clear water. A tiled path led straight across, some fifteen feet long, to where it connected with the rest of the floor. Illumination came from the torches placed at regular intervals over all four walls, set in wonderfully crafted stone holders that entwined like stone branches, but there were also small holes on the sides of the roof that would have let in some daylight if the Sun hadn't set already. The Creationist sigil - a golden eye within a golden Sun on a brown circle - was subtly but cleverly repeated everywhere that one looked. The tiles in front of the portal, both sides of the wall next to exit hallway, on the stone ceiling above... Even if one were to arrive here by accident there would be no mistaking their destination.

There was no one else present at the moment, which was perhaps a bit odd.

Maggie waited almost impatiently for her turn. Going home! Even under these urgent circumstances, she felt herself cheered by the thought. The priestess loved her wandering life, but there was something special in the idea of home, and all its beloved people and places. Eagerly she bounded through the glowing portal. Even as she moved aside to make room for the next traveler, she gazed around the familiar room, eyes lighting nearly as bright as the portal in her happiness to be back.

However, Meric's words called her back to the reality of her situation, and she sighed in reluctant agreement. "You're right, I guess. And it has been a while, nearly..." Her voice faded away as she tallies up the days in her head. "Oh! Oh, but Meric, I was supposed to meet someone today, right here in Alicante! I thought I'd have to miss him -- the fog came up and trapped us in Dunn just the day I was going to leave, but I'm here in time after all! Or, well, on the right day at least. I hope he isn't too worried. Can I not go find him? I won't tell him anything if you think it's best, but I'm sure he'd want to help!" She clasped her hands together and looked imploringly at Meric and the others, her pleading expression making her appear younger than her age.

Last edited by a moderator:

Battojutsu Honda

Demon Slayer of the West

The man sighs as he walks out of the portal with the rest of them; shuddering as the feeling of displacement washes over him, leaving the warrior feeling notably ill. He shakes it off after a few moments of breathing, before pulling himself together to look over the area they have appeared in; his eyes not seeing anything familiar, so much as another new environment to scan for dangers and troubles; keen and suspicious eyes scanning the temple as they all file out of it.

"So, this is a temple to your eastern faith..? It is fine and well made, I would say- a credit to it's inhabitants devotion... if, perhaps, too gilded for my taste. I suppose it speaks of this cities prosperity that even a humble temple may be afforded such wealth...?" He muses aloud; hand on the hilt of his blade as his eyes drift from shadow to shadow. "Still.. something sits poorly about this place with me. Is it usually empty..? If not.. we may be walking into a trap laid for members of a faith the sorceress we hunt does not care for." He warns- suspicion and experience coloring his own perspective; even as his mind threatens to drift to the ruined Nodachi whose shards he is carrying wrapped in cloth in his pack, hoping for a chance to reforge his beloved weapon... and knowing it to be unlikely.

His hand rests on his blade, then- and his eyes search the shadows cast by those torches, as he thinks of where he would hide in such a place as this, where he sent to hunt a transgressing black mage or demon within such halls.

Vittorio Valtieri

The Gentleman Necromancer

Stumbling from the portal, Valtieri takes a long moment to absorb the sights around him. It has been a long, strange road, to come back here.

In a way that feels empty-handed, too.

"No doubt the Sorceress has outlawed worship," he says, in answer to Battojutsu. "I am surprised there isn't evidence this place has been perverted or desecrated in some way."

He stumps cautiously to the door, walking more easily rather than relying on his staff.

Meric looks mildly surprised at Maggie's reaction. "I... Of course." he says slowly. "I mean, you do not need my permission. See your friend if you like. I was just going to say that we should get out of here and look for a place to stay tonight. I recommend The Manticore from personal experience. Average price, good service. It will be a walk to get there - it's on Asgard Square. But it's easy to find. Just follow the main road. We don't have to travel together." The shadow elf pauses to think for a moment. "In fact, it would be better to split up and arrive in pairs one after another. We don't need any extra attention. Let's meet for dinner there in about an hour?"

"Aye, that sounds good." Laurolf agrees. The dwarf is the first to follow Valtieri towards the exit.

"I've not heard anything about outlawing Creationism." Violet addressed Valtieri and Battojutsu. "That would be an illogical move from the Sorceress. So far she strove to maintain order, not cause riots. But you are right, Battojutsu. Usually portal chambers are not left unguarded. Especially in Alicante."

A'kal moves right after Laurolf and Valtieri at a pace that allows him to study his surroundings with wonder. "I have only visited the capital once before, and that was before the war." he says. "I think I will look around on my own and then find you at The Manticore."

Date: October 8th, year 3321

Weather: Clear, starry skies. Mild temperature. No wind.

• Around 19:15 h

Portal Chamber, The Maker's Temple

Almost like parent figures, Meric and Violet remain last in the portal chamber and patiently wait until everyone else leaves first. The Chosen are sent out mostly in pairs so as not to attract attention as a large group. The agreed meeting place is The Manticore, a tavern recommended by Meric that is located on Asgard Square. Getting there is fairly straightforward, even for those who haven't been to the great capital city before, or not in a long time.

The plan is to meet at The Manticore for dinner in an hour, which means between eight and half past eight. The process of getting there, including any potential distractions along the way, is entirely up to each individual of the party.

Asher

The Jaded Shadow

Asher was tired. He went in pretty deep today, spent a lot of hours sneaking and his legs were killing him at this point, especially after the last climb. You're pushing yourself... But what other choice do you have? He headed for the place he was staying, taking it slowly. Not too many people to hinder his path; almost exactly enough to blend in well, actually. Not that he needed to since he was a nobody in this city. He didn't see much of Alicante during daylight, finding it easier to keep his eyes constantly adjusted to the dark.

Asher noticed the outlines of the Maker's Gates closing in.

Auri the Insatiable

Ambassador of the Drakkar Nation

I just love this tune!! It's so well-played and those wild instruments are just great! =)

[media]
[/media]

At the restaurant, Auri's little show was once again in full swing. Having introduced himself as a "pre-show to the dinner show" (with the hopes of, once again, trading entertainment for yet another hearty meal), Auri has his large body facing the stage while his attention is turned to a group of youngsters he has gathered for assistance. "Now, on the count of three, give old Auri a push and see what happens! One... two... three!" When the children push him, Auri steps forward and with a grace that belies his huge body, he falls like a cloud into a front roll and rolls himself into a giant leathery ball.

"Ooh, what strength you all have!"
the ball whoops along.

After several revolutions, Auri rolls his great girth to a neat stop on the stage and unravels with a wide and warm pose to all. "Welcome to the pre-show, everyone! I am Old Man Auri and isn't this a fine evening to have fun together here at The Round Tables? Yes! Big round tables are just the thing for big, round fellows like me, wouldn't you say?! Ha ha!"

"I am full of more than hot air as you will see! Still, isn't tonight a little dim? How about if the fire inside each of you helps the fire inside all of me lighten it up? Come now! Shout out this city's great name with me and let's see what happens!"
Auri raises forth his fire-rune-imbued cane majestically. "Here we go! Shout out with me! Alicante... Alicante! ALICANTE!!"

With a flick of his cane, he tosses a swallow of fire down into his gullet and lets loose! Whoooooooosh!

[media]

[/media]
"Now that's the spirit of Alicante for you! Magnificent! Let's all share a little more magic together now, shall we?" With that, Auri went to juggling apples high above his head with the power of his wind breath alone, acting as a giant water-mist to "cool off" the children (of any age). Above all, he has fun! He cracks jokes, tells terrible puns, and involves the audience any way he can. For his grand finale (and one of his favorite tricks), he mixes all four of his internal powers to bake a quick-drying clay bowl of Drakkar design which he designs and shapes with his own claws. He inscribes the words, "We Are All One Family," and with a graceful, sweeping bow, he lays it at the feet of The Round Tables' owners in gratitude of allowing him to perform on their stage (this is a calling card of his).

In truth, this is Auri's fourth bowl and fourth show at The Round Tables today, for he has been waiting for dear little Maggie since the place opened for breakfast half the day ago. Auri knows the day is not yet done, and with that knowledge rides his hopes. She promised, after all! And if she didn't, then Auri would begin his quest to find out what stopped her, for Maggie, if anything, was a human of her word! She would not be late for this great meeting of her own choice! It made no sense!

Still, here on his 350th birthday, sitting at his large round table, feasting and chatting jovially with the audience before the big show, Old Man Auri could not help but worry terribly on the inside. For where in all the wide world was dear little Maggie?

• Around 19:35 h

The Round Tables Restaurant, Northwest Alicante

The drakkar's performance is met with the joy and glee that he likely came to expect by now. The children make no attempt to hide it, as well as many of the adults though some are content with a more contained version of the same enthusiasm, mixed with admiration. All in all a satisfying result to be had in a city that's seen nearly everything and is no stranger to magic of all kinds. When he finishes, it takes the people a good few, long moments to remember that they came here to eat and for them to slowly return to picking their food apart in their bowls.

And as for Auri's bowl, it is accepted with no less thanks than the ones that came before. The owners of the restaurant are a married couple in their forties - a tall man with an artistic mustache and a woman of average height and rosy cheeks. She is the one who picks up the bowl, smiling at Auri with uncontained happiness. Any further interaction between them is made impossible by a group of small children that invade Auri from all sides, tugging at the old drakkar's clothes tentatively and laughing and shouting carelessly like only innocent children know how.

Battojutsu Honda

Demonslayer of the West

A fond chuckle and a sad smile is the mans first response- as Battojutsu's mind peels away to the estate he grew up in. He recollects an estate in the countryside of his homeland- a prosperous one, but surrounded by rings of farmland more than anything, and known for it's people and food more than any trade or craft- known for it's lord's valor in a recent war, and little else. He remembers laughing and playing with his father- a man he still cannot forget. He remembers tugging on his mother's kimono and laughing- he remembers laughter filled sessions of training and mock-battle as a youth..

And he remembers watching it all burn away. He remembers a dozen hunts in a dozen cities of a dozen sizes, and he remembers the black souled magi and demons at the end of each hunt. He remembers hunts through the countryside, and hunts through cities.

His response, however, is none of that. With a far away look in his eye, he drawls aloud. "Well, I grew up in the country- but I've spent enough time in cities to be used to them, by now.." He says softly- eyes flowing over the crowd, and picking out suspicious faces one by one. Noting the alleys where a target might hide, where he might skulk if he needed to. Gauging the flow of the crowds to best assess how he'd lose himself into it if he had to.

"....Far too used to them for my taste, some times.." He admits with a weary smile.

Maggie smiles at Battojutsu's compliment to her home temple. "It is beautiful, isn't it? All that work and artisanship, dedicated to our faith and to the glory of the Maker!" She nods when Meric suggests a plan and a meeting place. "All right! I shall go catch up with Auri and perhaps bring him with me." When it is her turn to leave, she scampers off like a child caught out after curfew.

Traveling through the streets, the priestess moves quickly, but not in so much of a hurry that she avoids responding to any greetings that may come her way. Not that she expects to see anyone she knows at this time of night, but she is used to receiving that sort of friendly attention just by the robes she wears, and will offer a smile and a "Maker bless you" to any who seem to want it. She is particularly attentive to the guards at the Darran and Reindir gates, thanking them for their service to the city as she passes through the gates and over the bridge connecting them. Fortunately, her destination is not far from the latter set of gates, and she arrives at the Round Tables not quite out of breath.

Maggie pauses just inside the door to allow her eyes to adjust to the new lighting, and to look for her friend - which doesn't take long, for he has found a most attention-getting way to pass the time! She smiles, seeing the children gather 'round the old drakkar, and makes her way over to the stage, but doesn't interrupt the children's happy moment.

Auri the Insatiable

From his large table covered in empty plates and glasses, Old Man Auri encourages children and children-at-heart to find the magic inside each of them, that is, until he sees the little human Child of the Maker waiting patiently by the stage. "Maggie! Oh, I just knew you would make it!" he cries in a tone filled with both relief and joy. "Look everyone! There is another special someone who believes in her own special magic! Everyone, say hello to my very special friend, Maggie of the Maker!"

After lots of energetic small talk with the folk near him, Auri eventually gets a private word with her, far from the stage and the next act. "Oh, little Maggie!" he whispers, "I was dreadfully worried about you! I've been waiting and fretting here all day! What black cloud of trouble blew your way as to prevent you here to me on my birthday? Oh, are you all right?" The round Drakkar kneels down to her level and carefully examines Maggie for any signs of harm or distress, even occasionally poking with a claw or cane to make sure all of her limbs are indeed whole and able.

Asher

The Jaded Shadow

Still early. The gate was free for Asher to go through, along with other people crossing at this moment. The flow became denser as they went through the gates, nothing unusual.

The crowd dispersed a bit when they got through and onto the King's Bridge. Asher got near the edge and looked down into the deep darkness of the river; like a giant shadow stretching though the heart of Alicante. The deep... Shallow River. The irony was enough to make Asher cringe at his own thoughts a bit and redirect his view.

The river was pretty wide and it took Asher at least 10 minutes to cross it. Getting ever closer to a bit of rest.

• Around 19:20 h

Commerce Square, Southeast Alicante

"I know what you mean." A'kal replies with a fond smile. "I come from a small kingdom in the North, one of the last few places unclaimed by Asgard, and there is only one real city there. But I've been living in Hyerald since the Great War so I've had a taste of the large cities as well. I prefer the countryside."

The duo emerges onto Commerce Square which is still bustling with people even at this hour, though it's nothing compared to the morning and noon. The square itself is huge and dotted with stalls positioned in orderly lines, full of varied goods, and the buildings that surround it house yet more shops. This is the very center of the kingdom's largest trading hub. It is said that whatever one seeks in Alicante, it can be found at Commerce Square. Maybe not right now, as some shops are closed, but even in the evenings there is still plenty to see. Right now someone is playing a lute nearby though it can barely be heard over the voices of the buyers and sellers trying to close their last deals of the day. The air is a wondrous mixture of the scents of spices, fruit, leather, and metal.

It should be said that A'kal and Battojutsu are not entirely unnoticeable. Not that there aren't any other tall, well armed men roaming the town who aren't City Watch, but there aren't any in their immediate vicinity.

Maggie smiles and waves to everyone when Auri introduces her, then waits while he wraps up his talk with the children. In their own little corner, she gives him a big hug and says, "Oh, Auri, I missed you! I'm so sorry you had to wait for me! I meant to be on time, truly I did, but..." She looks around to see how close the nearest people are, then drops her voice so that only Auri can hear her, in what for her is unusual secretiveness. "I was in Dunn, and there was this magical fog that kept everyone from leaving! I don't think I should explain here, but the short of it is, I met up with the Resistance and together we saved the city! Only, now one of us is in trouble and we've followed her here. And I'm meeting back up with them in less than an hour - it's more like a half-hour, now - and do you want to come too?" She pauses for breath. Her eyes are sparkling with excitement, but there's also a look of worry, for she very much wants her friend to join the group, and is rather afraid that he's already committed to something else.

Auri the Insatiable

Maggie's excitement reaches Auri and soon he is up in arms too; not that it takes much doing to rile the old wizard up. Auri slowly spreads his huge arms and wings in a wide, grand gesture and nods vigorously. "This all sounds like big news, little Maggie, and big news means big adventure! Any friend of yours is a friend of mine and if some friend of ours is in some kind of danger... well... you just lead the way!" Auri performs another grand motion, as he scoops one great arm across the table, and with his dragon cane in his free hand, he gives a big friendly wave and farewell to anyone who sees him escorting Maggie from The Round Tables.

Once outside in the city streets, Auri carries on as quietly as his excitement will allow. "Oh, what a great day! An adventure! And on my birthday, too! This will be a time to remember, dear Maggie!"

As is in his nature, he asks questions. Insatiably. "So... ah... what can you tell an old paper-pusher like me? Who are these friends? What kind of trouble is our friend in? Is this a Resistance friend? What happened? Did someone get kidnapped or something? Just what kinds of enemies are you expecting and where are we going? Oh, and your tiny tummy must be rumbling from speeding your way to me, aye, Maggie? Lucky for the both of us, I brought along a little armload of bread and cheese and fruits and desserts here. If you could help me finish them, I might walk a little faster. I would hate to drop them, you see. Do you like these apricot cookies or the strawberry tarts better?"

On and on he goes, snacking and chatting discreetly as they stroll down the street towards adventure and the unknown, but the part Auri likes best is that they travel toward it together... =)

A message? For me? Asher responded without delay, being used to unpredictable situations. "It's not easy to see someone like me, especially when I don't wish to be seen. Who sent it?" Asher asked while taking the note from the kid's hand and tossing a silver coin to him in return. He opened the note and started reading.

Maggie laughs. "You always have food about you somewhere, don't you! I should have said, we're going to meet the others for dinner, but I think I will have a strawberry tart now, and thank you!" Between bites (and between times of people being close enough to overhear), she quietly explains, "Her name is Dina, and she's a very sweet girl. But also, and this is why we're here now in Alicante, she's the king's daughter!" That last phrase is whispered almost too softly to be heard even by Auri, standing next to her; and she also brings up her hands and the remnants of tart to hide her mouth from anyone looking on. "And yes, she has been kidnapped, by an evil drakkar named Xenthriss. Because of who she is, we suspect he brought her here, and fear he will give her into the sorceress's hands, if he hasn't already." She looks up at the old ambassador. "We have to rescue her. Will you help us?"

Auri the Insatiable

As they walked together, Auri the drakkar gave Maggie a careful pat on her small, scale-less, human back. "Will I help you? Why, you can bet your favorite holy symbol I will!"

Dina the King's Daughter... Xenthriss the evil drakkar... Adventure with Maggie and her friends... he pondered inwardly. And it is all starting for me on my birthday! Oh thank you, universe so vast and bright, for such a grand birthday present!

• Around 19:30 h

Commerce Square, Southeast Alicante

A'kal and Battojutsu are almost past the square when someone runs out from an alley on the left towards them - and behind that someone a host of pursuers difficult to count right now through the crowd, but probably at least a few. Both the hunted and his hunters look like armed mercenaries. But there is something that makes the first man recognizable to Battojutsu, even though he never saw him before.

He wears the dress of a warrior from Yamatai, his homeland far to the east.

Asher did not know what to feel, but he knew that panic was not on the list. Someone knew. Someone saw him. Someone might be watching him right now. A former enemy? Someone from the days of the Kossar Thieves guild that seem so long ago now? He could not know, not at this point. That uncertainty gave him reason to be alarmed.

If not for his notes and drawings of the palace he kept in his room at the inn, he would already be looking for a place where he could hide, any sewer or dark corner would do.

Asher stored the note in his pocket and started running through the crowd to the end of the bridge. If he was being followed, this was a good way to be sure. He ran all the way to the end, trying to avoid collision with others as much as possible, then suddenly stopped and turned around to observe the crowd.

Battojutsu Honda

Demonslayer of the West

He holds up a hand to A'Kal as his countryman is spotted- and nods towards the man, speaking softly. "...Hold... I see one of my people... Apologies, but.. my honor demands I aid him." He says simply- before stepping forwards. As the man who is pursued runs near, he steps beside him- and speaks softly and calmly in his native tongue.

"Run to an alleyway. I will run with you, and we will meet them there."

His words are succinct and calm- as he then steps to the side- and then moves as if to join the pursuit of the man- hoping A'kal will follow with him as he murmurs a few soft words; ending the focused mana flow he had initiated as soon as the conversation began, to make it look like the man being chased bumped into him to aggravate him- to hide the words he passed to him.

Auri the Insatiable

Auri's smile fades. He clearly does not like what he is seeing, and yet, unconsciously, he moves his big leathery body protectively between Maggie and the trouble. He glances back. "Looks like I might be a little late for that meeting, Maggie... Hope that's all right?"

Then he strides forward near enough to the guards to be clearly heard. As he comes forth, he looks for faces amongst the guards he might know given his time in Alicante. "Scales and sand!" he bellows with authority. "As the ambassador to the mighty Drakkar Nation, I would like to speak to the person in charge here!"

Hungry for details, he tries to get the best look he can at both drakkar and shadow elf. If someone comes forth, Auri bows respectfully and asks in a deeply curious fashion. "What, pray tell, is the meaning of this ugly scene?"

Maggie nods in response to Auri's question. "Both of us may be." She too strides briskly towards the guards and their prey, but with different intentions in mind. While Auri seeks a leader, the priestess aims her steps at the wounded guard. Softly, so as not to interrupt the the drakkar ambassador's conversation, she says, "May I tend your injury? And that of any of the rest of you, including your prisoners if you allow."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back