• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Completed Chapter VI: Eye of the Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
MaggiePriestess of the Maker

Maggie nodded.  "We plan to rescue her as soon as we can - tonight, maybe!  But there's no telling what we might come up against when we do, although maybe some of the others will have found something out by the time I meet up with them again.  That's why I'm here, now, and why I came to you for help."  She looked up at the older man.  "Do you have any suggestions?  Apart from the miracles you said I might learn today."

Auri the Insatiable

[SIZE= 18px]Ambassador of the Drakkar Nation[/SIZE]

"See Ilhirel?" the ambassador seemed to wonder at the notion, glancing over the glass table. "Assuming she's not the one behind the arrests, that might even be a real option. What is your opinion on that, Auri?" she asked, settling her eyes on the drakkar. "It must have occurred to you."

Go see the Sorceress about two of her own captives?!  Talk to the one person in all of Alicante who is likely behind the whole thing, thus alerting her?  The idea rocked the old drakkar and it showed on his face.

"By my scales, are you serious?  Go to the very person who just might be behind all of this and alert her to our knowledge of the situation?  In what way could this benefit the captives?  How does this not endanger us?  And how in any way does this fail to endanger our mission to rescue this "Dina" friend of ours if the drakkar ambassador is seen asking snooping questions in the Sorceress's own palace in which Dina is held?"    

Erya's avenue of thinking had never once come close to entering Auri's mind, and while he was initially against this new idea, he was equally ready to listen to any evidence or ideas from Meric or Erya that could honestly sway him.  It would not have been the first time in Auri's 350 years that someone else had a wonderful plan (however seemingly-illogical) that worked out for the best, a plan that Auri never saw coming.  Just because Auri could not see the road to victory did not mean in any way that one failed to exist simply because he had not thought of it.  The crafty Shadow Elves had their own winning methods of doing things, methods that might very easily sway Auri into action.

As Auri leaned on his cane and craned his reptilian neck forward, he found himself hoping that Meric or Erya could do just that.  "Please convince me!" his eyes seemed to say.

Auri

Around 12:05 h

Ambassador's Office, Embassy of Eldshaw

"There you have it, Meric." Erya said, nodding towards Auri with a pleased expression. "Enough for you?"

"I'm not an idiot." Meric rebelled. "I'm not saying you should walk up to her and demand an explanation. Or that you should go 'snooping in the palace'." The elf gave Auri a brief dismissing glance. "I am merely suggesting that the matter be brought to her attention, casual-like. From a pedestrian's perspective. If only to gouge her reaction."

That seemed to give Erya slight pause. "Pedestrian's perspective... Oh, I see. Well, I suppose I could toss it out there during the banquet tomorrow. Casual-like. The arrest was quite loud and public, after all."

"Exactly. Besides, of the two of you, you're the better choice for this by far."

Erya's brow went up at that. "What does that mean?"

Meric assumed a more cautious tone then. "Just that you seem... closer to our current tyrant than Auri is, from what I've heard."

Erya's mouth opened, but she didn't immediately respond. As far as Auri knew, there was at least some truth to this. Erya Ryagundi was one of the more frequent visitors to the palace, and has spent a significant amount of time in Ilhirel's company, albeit never alone. Whether or not that made them close was another thing altogether.

Maggie

Around 09:15 h

Mirákul, Maker's Temple

"This... is dangerous knowledge." the Keeper said after exhaling slowly. "Now that I know, I would almost rather that I didn't. The Sorceress is more dangerous than a ruin full of nargyen. You must make every effort to avoid her, sister." The man placed a hand on Maggie's shoulder as he beseeched her. "Make no mistake - though she may not look it - Ilhirel is the most dangerous thing in that palace. I cannot stress this enough. Men can be killed, spirits banished, even demons felled, but Ilhirel is best left unchallenged. People think they know her measure from the stories they heard, but all those who dared oppose her have met with a grim demise. Quick, if they were lucky. No matter how ridiculous this may sound, do not underestimate her. Or you will surely fail." The Keeper's persuasiveness seemed to be fueled by great fear. He believed every word of what he was saying.

He then turned to the cabinet that held the Sunlight Blade miracles and unlocked its protective gates to reach inside. In the next moment he pulled out a very ordinary-looking scroll. "You might as well learn it now." he said, motioning towards a raised slate of white marble in the middle of the chamber. "I will see what else I can gather for you."

Vittorio Valtieri

The Gentleman Necromancer

[SIZE= 14px]For a moment, Valtieri imagines poison.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]But no, never Greywall.  Paranoia has settled like a shroud on his senses. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]"Weary of the road, I suppose.  And whilst I'm here, relearning the benefits of civilization," he says, with a smile and a tilt of his glass, "I was looking for a traveling companion who became separated from the group."[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]He sips and savours the brandy, but tries not to rub Greywall's face in it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]"What precisely is this job?  I can't promise my services unless I know..."[/SIZE]

Maggie sighed and nodded.  "I will tell my friends what you have said.  For now, we only want to rescue Dina, but I think doing so will get us the Sorceress's attention whether she's openly challenged or not.  We are all well warned by your words."

She managed a smile when he handed her the scroll.  "Thank you, Brother.  I will try to use it well."  She took it over to the indicated slate.  Clearing her mind to prepare it for receiving this new knowledge, she unrolled the scroll and began to read.

Auri the Insatiable

Auri peered inquisitively.  "Erya, are you at all comfortable with this particular path of action?  Even if you are the best choice of the three of us, I do not like the idea of putting you in the least bit of danger, especially when that danger comes from an unpredictable source as The Sorceress!"  Auri scratched his nose.  "Not that I can think of a better plan, mind you..."

He mused for a long moment, then added, "Whatever feelings you have on the issue, do not hide them now!"

Auri

Around 12:05 h

"Closer? Close?!" Erya exclaimed after an extended moment of disbelief. "What have you heard? Who have you talked to? Are you playing with me, Meric?"

The other elf seemed to shrink in his chair, adopting an apologetic posture. "No. No, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply -"

"That I was 'pals' with the Sorceress? I certainly hope not! Just because I've spent time in the wolf den doesn't mean that I've forgotten what it is."

"I'm sorry."

Erya's fire subsided as suddenly as it had come. She took one more look at Meric, sighed, then looked away. "It's fine, Auri." she told the drakkar with an only slightly bitter expression. "I am in danger every time I visit the palace, if we're to be down-to-earth. Tomorrow's banquet will be no different." She paused to think for a while. "After we're done here I will go to Fort Artan and demand to see the prisoners. When they deny me, which we're assuming they will, I shall touch on the subject with Ilhirel during the banquet. I will tell her of my concerns for my compatriot and ask for her help. And we'll see what that yields. If she's involved, such course of action shouldn't raise any suspicions. I will be doing my duty, after all. And if she isn't, then perhaps she'll help. She's assisted me before."

Meric looked up at that. "She has?" But remembering Erya's earlier outburst, the elf used a more sensitive tone. "I don't mean to imply a fault with you, Erya. I'm just afraid of what's on the Sorceress' end of things." He looked at the ambassador much more gently then. "I'm worried about you. Like Auri is."

Erya looked at both of them and sighed. "I know." she said.

Maggie

Around 09:15 h

Mirákul, Maker's Temple

Merely handling the scroll on her way to lay it down filled Maggie with a familiar warmth. It was almost as if she could sense the words from the outside of the scroll, before she even unrolled it. It's been a while since she held a written Miracle in her hands. It reminded her of how there was no mistaking it for any common scroll. It was different. It was power. It was a gift from the Maker, poised to bathe the world in His glory. So she was taught, and at times like these, so she felt.

Once unrolled across the dais, the sacred scroll dominated the priestess' senses. The world around her was muted. The shuffling of the Keeper's feet across the stone floor, the play of light and shadow on the walls, the crackling of the fires - she was not aware of such things any more. There was only the scroll and what it brought before her. It was alien and otherworldly, yet at the same time familiar and belonging. It was hers. It was the world's. It was a thing from beyond that somehow belonged. The markings in dark ink across the parchment were not in any language Maggie knew, but they conveyed meaning that she understood perfectly. The words spoke to her without words. If it were possible to write down a feeling in its purest form, this would have been it. No mere thought on paper, but an entire emotion. Entire emotions, all just for her to feel.

Light, the scroll brought, and the priestess felt its warm glow. The birth of light and the joy of life. A boundless Sun on a limitless horizon. Existence, wild and eager. It was like the Light Miracle, but where Light ended, Sunlight Blade continued. There was Purpose in the scroll, so great and heavy that it would have been too much for Maggie to bear, had it not been lined with a soothing comfort taken from itself. It held importance beyond that known by lesser mortals. The existence that was, it had to be, the priestess understood. Had to. Such was the desire that drove it. Finally, the scroll projected Will. Not the will to keep or passively defend, like the Divine Shield Miracles, but the will to strike. A will that, despite having chosen a different way to protect than the shield Miracles, was every bit as fierce and resolute in its intention to do so. A will that was aimed completely towards something Dark, something not on Maggie's horizon but beyond it. Something wrong, of which there were no words. Only a single whisper of warning.

The Will would burn, adamant and relentless, until all the Dark was scorched and nothing remained of it. It would protect the Light no matter what, for the Purpose that inspired it was too great to neglect. That's what was written in the scroll and contained within it until the day it came into Maggie's hands. From that day forth, it was written in her. It was hers, by right and gift, for her heart was aligned with the one she chose to follow. This she felt.

And the scroll was no more.

Valtieri

Around 09:35 h

Captain's office, 4th City Watch Barracks

"Come now, Vittorio. It's nothing you haven't faced before." Greywall said and placed his half empty glass down. "It's a job that calls for a necromancer. No commoner or petty wizard could crack it, though I've no idea how high it ranks on your own difficulty scale. It looks rather simple to me. Why don't I show you after we finish our drinks? Don't say you're not in the least interested."

Auri the Insatiable

"That I was 'pals' with the Sorceress? I certainly hope not! Just because I've spent time in the wolf den doesn't mean that I've forgotten what it is."

"Erya..." Auri's soft tone sought to calm as the large drakkar gently and meaningfully tried to get the female shadow elf's attention.  "Ask yourself - if Meric truly believed you to be under the Sorceress's heel, would he be so comfortable in sharing things of a delicate nature so freely with you, as you must have prior to my arrival?  Would he instead not be more guarded especially given our current topic of discussion?"  He motioned toward Meric with a wave of his great claw.  "Do forgive him his poor choice of words.  Loyal Meric does not wage through one bureaucratic war after another with the wizardly power of words as you and I do.  If he did, Meric might be a diplomat instead of a steel-wielder!  Now wouldn't that be a sight to see!"

Erya looked at both of them and sighed. "I know." she said.

[SIZE= 14px]"Would it be of aid to you if I accompanied you to Fort Artan so we can take part in getting stonewalled together?  The 'soldiers' who did the capturing were questioned by me after all and I think it sends a good message to have our united forces seen together there, especially given the prisoners in question.  Perhaps our being there might lead to something unusual that we might not come to find alone.  Besides," [/SIZE]he grinned and leaned on his cane,[SIZE= 14px] "the idea of your making your way all the way to the fort without good company...  well...  it would be ungentlemanly of me not to offer, now wouldn't it?"  [/SIZE]He held out his claw and bowed most courteously in offer - as a gentledrake should!  

A smile, unbidden but sincere, spread over her face as Maggie read the scroll (or it imprinted herself on her, maybe).  It was a smile as sunny as the feeling the scroll invoked; warm and trusting like the smile of a child looking up at her beloved father.  For that was how Maggie saw the Maker.  Having no earthly father that she was aware of, raised by the priests in this very temple, the priests were her family and the Maker the spiritual head of that family.

Her eyes remained open as the scroll spoke to her, because of course some part of her was still reading it.  For all the attention she paid to anything else, though, they might as well have been closed.  All her being was focused on the words, the concepts being written on her heart and soul.  Her expression changed subtly, the smile remaining but somehow altering to reflect what she was learning: brighter with Light, focused with Purpose, and resolute with Will, the Will she found herself now drawn to, the Will of one who took up arms to protect others rather than just a shield.

Warmth grew within her as her spirit recognized, accepted, and internalized all that the scroll had to teach her.  She felt its brightness filling her, and as the scroll disappeared, she closed her eyes in truth to hold onto that feeling just a little longer, to write its memory just a little deeper in her mind and heart, a reminder of help and hope in the times of trouble she knew were coming.

OOC

Just realized the address of Maggie's character sheet is different now, so the link in the post header didn't work.  I've updated it to the proper one.

With absolutely no reason to show himself, Asher began to strategise his approach. He first wanted to observe them closely, to be sure none of them wore any faces familiar to him. Next was finding a good sniping position to fire the first shot from.

He planned on using the element of surprise to take down as many as possible without engaging in open conflict; shifting to the shadow realm, reloading the crossbow, then shifting back and firing. Asher never had the opportunity to use such a strategy before and it was a cause for concern, but he didn't have many options now.

The only problem is they have a magic user who could easily disrupt me. He did fool me once already, after all.

With ten steel bolts, he should be able to take the most of them down. For those that remain, he had his dagger.

Vittorio Valtieri

Valtieri sips the liquor again, grimacing mildly at the burn, and nods. "I'll admit, I am.  And you know," he says, pointedly, "that I am ever eager to see justice served."

Can Greywall be trusted to help afterall?  It stings Valtieri to think he might have to pose questions of treason against the Sorceress after Greywall is in his debt. Or at his mercy.

Auri

Around 12:10 h

Auri's counsel and charm swayed Erya without fail. "You make good points, Auri." she responded. "Perhaps I was overly hasty with my words. And if you wish to take that walk with me, so be it. We can go right now, in fact. Get it out of the way. That is, if our business here is concluded?" She looked expectantly at both of them, though her gaze lay heaviest upon her compatriot.

Meric cleared his throat before speaking. "Indeed it has, as far as I am concerned. Meanwhile, I shall speak with Violet and see if we can't squeeze out more help from the Resistance."

"Ah, yes." Erya smiled politely. "And give my regards to Violet. I doubt I'll have the time to seek her out before your mission, so unless she deigns to find me, we shall miss each other this time."

"I'll be sure to tell her that."

[SIZE= 20px]Asher[/SIZE]

Around 10:45 h

Warehouse C8, South Harbor

Approaching close enough to distinguish the men's faces, Asher saw that he knew none of them. They could have been anyone. If they hadn't succeeded in spying upon a master thief when he did not wish to be seen, that is. That fact probably made them someone. But right now they seemed clueless, and if Asher expected an execution squad, it's not what they looked like. Their armor was light leather and their weapons, still sheathed for the moment, short and agile blades. Whoever they were, they were equipped for stealth. The man who moved out of their hidden room stood still, not reaching for his weapon and signaling the others to follow suite. Even their elven mage seemed passive, though with mages it was ever impossible to ascertain their intentions.

"You may show yourself." the man repeated, changing his tone to one far less demanding. "We mean no harm." Despite his neutral choice of words, it came out sounding more like an appeal.

It was altogether unlikely, though not impossible, that these men possessed the means to force Asher into leaving the Shadow Realm.

Maggie

Around 09:20 h

Mirákul, Maker's Temple

The Keeper approached Maggie from behind to stand next to her. He had a few more scrolls with him. "Here, sister. These are the ones I thought best to spare. Someone of your level should be able to handle four Miracles in succession, though two among them be mighty." He proceeded to introduce the scrolls to her: Lightning Spear, Piercing Light, and Guidance. For the last one he said: "You may know it already. It is a simple thing, often overlooked, yet I wouldn't embark on a journey without it." He smiled, standing ready to offer each scroll to Maggie as she read through them.

Valtieri

Around 09:35 h

Captain's office, 4th City Watch Barracks

"Excellent!" Greywall exclaimed and downed the rest of his drink. "Drink up and we shall be away."

Around 09:45 h

Dungeons, 4th City Watch Barracks

Ten minutes later, Valtieri and Captain Greywall completed their descent into the dungeons of the barracks. Through the thick, windowless darkness the captain led the necromancer until they arrived in front of the very last cell. If there was any wonder as to why it gaped open, unguarded, that would soon be made clear. There was a long wooden table in the middle of it, poorly illuminated by the two torches burning on the far wall. And on the table lay a man, still as a rock.

"Dead." Greywall announced, perhaps needlessly. "But I was hoping you could fix that." 

Maggie opened her eyes at the Keeper's approach.  She gave him a sweet smile that widened when she saw and heard what more he had for her.  "Oh, thank you, brother!  You are very good to me."  She nodded with a wry smile at his last comment.  "I do not, actually, and was rather rueing the lack not so long ago.  Thank you so much!"  She gratefully accepted the scrolls he offered, quietly reveling in each one as it gave her its own sensations and teachings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Auri the Insatiable

Auri looked down at Meric with a request in his eyes.  "Should you run into her before I do, tell Maggie where I've gone for me, won't you?  I find myself incapable of taking any action or inaction that might cause distress in that wonderful little human."

"Erya?  Perhaps you want to save your feet and take a horse to the fort?  As for me, there will be no need for worry, for I can roll with the best of them!"  With that, Auri tucked his cane into himself and performed a marvelous forward roll that, for the briefest of moments, transformed all of him into one big round boulder of a drakkar.  Completing the technique, he planted his feet, came to a smooth stop, and then with cane in claw stood as normally as any other member of his proud race except that he gave a silly wink and grin that was clearly all Auri.

Vittorio Valtieri

Valtieri enters the room and circles the body, checking the corners of the cell and glancing over the corpse's clothes and other effects.

"What can you tell me about him?" he asks, hand in his glyph pouch, running his thumb over the engravings on each one to find those he will need for this ritual. "The more I know, the easier it will be to find him, if I still can."

He pauses by the head.

"How did he die, and how long ago?"

I'll regret this. I'll regret this for sure.

Letting out a sigh, Asher removed the steel bolt from the crossbow and loaded a dart filled with a potent tranquillizer, designed to subdue humanoids. He aimed the crossbow at the elven mage whilst positioning himself near a good set of cover, so that after exiting the shadow realm and firing the dart, he could still keep his position uncompromised, even for a bit.

Asher intended to knock the mage out as a precaution, then yell: "You have as long as it takes for the mage to wake up, around ten minutes, speak."

Satisfied with the conditions around him, he emerged ready to fire.

Asher

Around 12:50 h

Even if anticipated, Asher's action was too sudden to thwart. The mage hit the ground as fast as the bolt him. This provoked an immediate reaction from his teammates; within moments they brandished their weapons and stood at the ready, facing Asher's general direction.

"Hold fast!" the same man from before commanded, confirming that he was the leader. He signaled his men to hold, then turned his attention wholly on Asher. "Your caution is to be expected," he said, raising both hands momentarily to show that they were empty. "But as I said, we mean you no harm. If killing you was our goal, we could have done so already. Even before today. No, we would much rather speak with you instead."

Moments passed in silence. One of the men in the room crouched to check on the mage, disappearing from Asher's line of sight for a brief duration, then standing back up. "He's alive. Just out of it." he reported.

The first man nodded, then spoke to Asher again. "We are representatives from a certain local organization. An interested party, if you will, that deals in the procurement and... management of goods. And for some time now, our interest has been in you." He smiled. "We appreciate individuals who are able to, hmm... Move around places where movement is not normally allowed. Such as the palace grounds here in Alicante." he gave Asher a knowing look then. "We would like to make you an offer."

[SIZE= 20px]Valtieri[/SIZE]

Captain Greywall stood in place by the table, following Valtieri's perusal with his eyes only. "He was a common criminal who managed to die withholding uncommon information." he explained, uncovering the dead man's jacket. There was a long, messy streak of red across the left side of his torso. "Bled to death, they tell me. Though the wound is deep enough to have caused critical damage to the internal organs. Maybe a bit of both."

A young guardsman entered the cell. "Captain, there's -"

But Greywall promptly dismissed him, without even turning around. "It will have to wait."

"Sir, it's about the Wild Ducks case."

Now Greywall turned. "We're about to raise the dead here, son. The ducks can wait."

The guardsman seemed to grow ever so slightly pale. "Y-Yes, sir. Understood."

"Wait for me outside." Greywall instructed him, then continued. "He died here. Upon this very table, mere hours ago. From what I understand, that should mean his spirit is still around. The information is important, Vittorio. And there is no other way to acquire it. I must question him."

Vittorio Valtieri

Valtieri nods sagely, listening intently but saying nothing.

He stands behind the corpse's head, and raises his staff in one hand while reaching for the smooth, cool glyph stones in the pouch on his belt. 

He closes his eyes.  Inhale. Exhale.  Reach outward...

"Er'Kju," Valtieri intones, his voice sonorous with mystical power, the torches which light the room dimming briefly in supernatural sympathy as the glyphs employed crumbled to dust.

[SIZE= 20px]Auri / Maggie[/SIZE]

Around 13:30 h

Auri's Residence, Southeast Alicante

The rest of the Miracles were unique experiences on their own, and while they would prove to be formidable additions to Maggie's arsenal later on, for the time being they left her fatigued and weakened. As the Keeper had reminded her, the mortal body was marred by imperfections that made it difficult to receive these divine blessings without consequences. This meant that the priestess had to take some time to rest at the Temple. Between that and her prayers, it was quite some time before she made it back to Auri's residence - only to learn that she was the first! None of the others had yet returned, with their individual tasks doubtless keeping them occupied. It looked like she would have some time for herself in the home of her good friend.

Meanwhile, Auri was still in the company of Erya Ryagundi. Having finished their affairs at the embassies, the two of them parted ways with Meric and strolled over to Fort Artan where they were promptly received despite arriving without an announcement. Alas, the trip seemed to have been for naught! Their brief and fruitless audience with a certain lieutenant left them pretty much where they had been before. Of course, there were probably some kind of consequences to their visit, the news of which would likely reach the ears of those responsible for the arrests of the shadow elf and drakkar before long. Out of leads for the moment, the two ambassadors went their separate ways. So it was that Auri returned home in the early afternoon to the very pleasant surprise of finding his long-time friend waiting there all by herself..

Asher

Around 12:50 h

A long moment of silence took place, dramatic at first, but soon merely awkward.

"Oh for Luna's crescent Aidan!" the shadow elf from inside the room spoke up. "Would you just get on with it? I don't think the gentleman is in the mood for your fanciful deliberations." His statement, at first a product of his own agitated state, earned a few chuckles from his mates and slightly toned down the tension in the warehouse.

The man identified as Aidan looked as if he would get angry at this outburst, but relented in the next moment. "Fine. Whatever." he exhaled, dissipating his own anxiety. "Look, one of our guys saw you crossing the wall over into the Royal Quarter last week. Said you vanished into thin air. We didn't know what to think at first, so we set up watch. And sure enough, you were there again the next day. And you kept coming back. We had just started discussing on what kind of lunatic sorcerer you were, breaking in and out of the most secure place in Alicante for no apparent reason, when one of the guys said he recognized you. Said you were some sort of master thief from them burned down Kossar cities to the East. Now that's what really spiked our interest!"

"We're also thieves, see. Of the local variety." Aidan explained, sounding pretty friendly now. "But not common muggers and rustlers, mind you. Things changed for our craft immensely after the Great War. The City Watch don't hold the reigns quite so ably anymore. The Royal Army's been shattered. And us thieves have got a proper guild of our own in the capital of this fine kingdom for the first time in remembered history. A guild! And no shortage of wannabe guildsmen!" The man beamed with pride. "But therein lies also our quandary. We can't just let any sly son of a dog join our ranks. Most of those miserable sods would skewer your rear in a heartbeat if it meant more spoils to them." Angry mumbling came from the men behind him in agreement. "We may be thieves, but we've raised ourselves above the common rabble. We're organized. We use finesse. We don't kill. And we don't take nobody in our fold who don't have enough integrity to abide by our principles and remain loyal to our cause."

Aidan shut up for a few moments, giving Asher some time for the information to settle in. At length he delivered the closing statement: "We've heard of your exploits from our man who survived the war in the East, and we've seen some of your abilities for ourselves. It's enough to invite you to join us. Are you interested... Raven?"

[SIZE= 20px]Valtieri[/SIZE]

With the glyphs consumed, the necromantic ritual began. A subtle coldness descended upon the room, persisting during the minute or so that it took to complete the ritual. As soon as it was done, a luminous green gash opened in the air above the table, about a meter long. A darkness poured out of it, dripping shadows, quickly solidifying into a humanoid shape. Well, solidifying wasn't the right word. But it assumed a form, albeit only semi-corporeal, of a man that resembled the one lying on the table, even appearing to wear the same clothes. His shape was partially see-through and had less details, flickering along the edges as if unstable, glowing with a pale greenish tint. But it wasn't going anywhere. The binding was successful. The necromancer felt it.

The spirit looked equal parts confused and angry. It thrashed in place, jerking wildly and wailing in a male voice that sounded more like combined echoes of what his voice once sounded like. "What is this?!" it demanded. "Where? Why?!"

As Valtieri well knew, considering how recently the man had died, this kind of behavior was perfectly normal. His spirit hadn't even had the time to get accustomed to the Shadow Realm when it was pulled back into the mortal realm by force - and for the first time, at that. One could only imagine how traumatizing the process must be for the dead.

Greywall flinched despite having witnessed summonings before, but only at first. It was likely because he couldn't instinctively tell if the binding was successful. "Vittorio?" he asked, eager for reassurance.

Auri the Insatiable

Auri rolled up to his comfortable home, uncurled into a standing position, and dusted himself off.  Cane in hand, he strolled without rushing toward his front door to find Maggie there.  The sight of the little human brought illumination to Auri's eyes.  "Maggie!  So good to see you!  Won't you come in and tell me of your day?"  

Auri proceeded to unlock his door.  With long-practiced hospitality, he stood aside allowing the follower of the Maker in first while he closed and locked the door behind him.  Then he ushered himself into his voluminous kitchen where he tried to find cups and plates for someone of her size.  "Care for some refreshments?  I can make us some glasses of fresh strawberry-lemonade if you would like to sweeten your already sweet demeanor!"

The fact that they knew his old name resounded badly within him. Instead of wanting to kill them, now he had no choice but to once the minutes ran out. Not just the ones present, but their whole so-called guild. Even so, they managed to strike a note within him, bringing back memories of the long forgotten past, back when he was but a pickpocket.

Sleeping on the cold, hard stone of an alley after escaping the dungeon, a hand reached out to him and called him to join something akin to a brotherhood; a place he found a home. The place he was called to now felt hollow in comparison.

"Kids, playing around, asking me to join..." Asher mumbled under his breath. He didn't need them, he didn't want them, he was fine alone, but...

They knew the city better than him, held information he lacked and connections he needed. If playing with them meant having access to all that, then could he allow himself to refuse?

"No, I won't join you, because I've neither the time nor the reason. Instead, I'll allow a you to accompany me on my mission. Any loot we pick up is yours, I'll share my spoils as well. Considering it's the Palace, I expect it to be a tremendous amount."

Still on guard, Asher counted the seconds.

The look on Aidan's face made his disappointment rather obvious. The men behind him seemed more nervous all of a sudden. "I'll admit I was hoping for more," he began, trying to disguise the bitterness in his voice, "But I understand. You are here on more important matters. And after which are complete, probably not planning on sticking around, eh? Fair enough. But know that we're not playing around here." Aidan's voice took on a proud note. "We may be below your level, master thief, but we know our craft. Well enough to know to steer clear of the palace grounds. Whatever treasure there be inside would do us no good if we're dead and buried."

Another man, closest to Aidan but still ways behind him said: "Dead and buried's what woulda happened under King Anglimar's reign, if one were to try and get caught. But to steal from that godless sorceress, Ilhirel? There's worse fates than death, and I hear she knows them all."

No one contested the man's words. Aidan spoke up again: "There is no lack of brave souls in my company, Raven. But I wager there isn't one among them who would tread the palace willingly while the Sorceress resides there, and we're not the Resistance to be passing 'round orders. I would not advise it even to one possessed of your talents, but you seem set on it. If it's not loot you're after, I don't even want to know what it is. Go as you will. Just know that the offer still stands." Aidan gave Asher a firm look. "When you conclude your business, and if you're still alive, you may seek us out should you change your mind. Just ask for me at the Manticore."

That said, the group of thieves started slowly disbanding, on their way to leave. The shadow elf was the only one who stayed put, declaring that he'd stay with the unconscious mage until he came to.

Vittorio Valtieri

"All is well," Valtieri says softly, directing a thin smile of reassurance at Greywall before turning his attention wholly to the spirit.  At times like this, he remembered why he took up the practice - there was an undeniably rush of power that awoke some little darkness within him. In turn, that had driven him to aid the watch, and so keep firm hold over the worst devils of his nature.

"Be calm, and tell me your name, if you please," he says, voice level, eyes on the ephemeral faceless face, "and I can explain everything."

In Vittorio's experience, one was best off making requests before demands - and so he felt around idly in the glyph pouch for the right stones to compel this entity to speak if it insists on being uncooperative.

So much had happened at the Temple that Maggie was surprised to find herself the first to return to Auri's residence.  Then again, it hadn't actually taken a lot of time, however much she had gone through on an emotional and spiritual level.  She settled in to wait, mentally going over all she had learned that morning.

Auri rolled up to his comfortable home, uncurled into a standing position, and dusted himself off.  Cane in hand, he strolled without rushing toward his front door to find Maggie there.  The sight of the little human brought illumination to Auri's eyes.  "Maggie!  So good to see you!  Won't you come in and tell me of your day?"  

Auri proceeded to unlock his door.  With long-practiced hospitality, he stood aside allowing the follower of the Maker in first while he closed and locked the door behind him.  Then he ushered himself into his voluminous kitchen where he tried to find cups and plates for someone of her size.  "Care for some refreshments?  I can make us some glasses of fresh strawberry-lemonade if you would like to sweeten your already sweet demeanor!"

The priestess smiled and nodded.  "Thank you, I would very much like some!  I have both good and bad news, and your lemonade will enhance the first and be a comfort for the second."  She paused, then looked up at him appealingly.  "I could also go for some cookies..."  Maggie grinned like the small child she'd been only a few short years ago.

Auri the Insatiable

"Well, good news and bad news aside, Maggie," he raised a claw pointedly, "when you start talking cookies, you are talking my language!"  Immediately, Auri made for the kitchen.  He opened one Auri-sized cookie jar.  "Here we are!"  But suddenly, he gasped in horror!  The cookie jar was as empty and desolate as a looted tomb.   

So then he checked the second jar...  and gasped again in dismay!

Then the third, fourth, and finally the fifth!  He shook each of them upside-down just in case there was something more than crumbs, but it was not to be.  He had eaten them all!  The overly-round drakkar host glanced at Maggie with a tinge of heartfelt embarrassment.  But then his mind became alight with the fires of creativity and hospitality!

"Ah!  There is only one thing to do!  We must bake fresh cookies!  And not just a few, but enough for the whole party to enjoy!  And you, my young dear, must assist!  Here.   You decide what kinds of cookies we will bake, while I put together and pour us that strawberry-lemonade!  Yes.  You decide and I bake!" 

(Mood music for baking cookies!)

Yeeeeaaah, boyyy!!  Cooookies!!  8D

Auri shoved aside the mass of large cookie jars and gently pushed Maggie in the direction of his baking goodies.  All along this part of the kitchen there were drakkar-sized tightly-capped containers, neatly arranged and labeled in drakkar with (for someone Auri's size) tiny pictures of items like chocolate chips from across the lands!  

White chocolate, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, (and who had the best dark chocolate in the land?  Why, Shadow Elves, of course!), almonds, walnuts, carob, raisins, peanut butter chips, jelly beans, sugar sprinkles, they were all here and more!  It seemed just about all of ingredients required to make great batches of great snacks were present (especially cookies)!  All that was required was baking skill and one's imagination.  Other tell-tale ingredients like flour, sugar, milk, eggs, were also near for use, all fresh and ready for the taking (or rather, baking!).  

Like an expert alchemist in his own laboratory, Auri went to work concocting the strawberry-lemonade while allowing little Maggie to do as she would.  Because she should!  But really, in a kitchen like this with such a dilemma at hand, you really do it because you could.  =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back