• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Seven: Melshaef's Tree and the Crown of Chains

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the Wanderers restored to full fighting strength, there is but Luna's strange injury to heal. Bria rises from Otiorin's side, but not before seeing a warm blanket across his shoulders and changing her own enchanted armor into the brown and white Ko battle robes you are familiar to seeing her in. Despite your restored health, Bria appears weary as she takes up her fighting stick.

Powerpaw too rises, his expression full of tenseness as if he expects his injuries to make themselves known again. He seems relieved and full of wonder when they do not. With a toothy grin, he takes his non-magical warhammer and spiked shield in able paws. He gazes at the door out with renewed ferocity and eagerness, his ears flat back and his furry tail swishing. Then Sabrefang returns from the bedrooms, spear in hand, looking wise and ready in her crimson Pyrohydra-made armor. Bria looks to the room the masked warrior was taken to and then to the druidess. Sabrefang returns a silent nod as if to tell the Ko monk not to worry. Then the motherly Felane is among you once again.

One by one, they look to the leader of your party. It is Powerpaw who speaks.

"I iz readies, Bren-face! What's da plan, you guyz? Da sooner we fix what warg-face did ta Luna, da sooner she iz makin' magics again!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Brendoran, human fighter/ranger

Standard AC: 23

Fort save: +11

Ref save: +7

Will save: +4

Current action points: 5

Current HP: 78/78

Status effects: none

broken shield

Bren looks around at the assembled group, taking note of each person's apparent mental and emotional state. With the exception of Luna, everyone is now in perfectly restored physical condition, thanks to Bria. He'd watched the interplay between Powerpaw and Wolf without comment, since it appeared to end amicably enough. Good. He'd have his own chat with the ranger later, but after Powerpaw's remarks, Bren thought he could probably tone down his own, and the delay while the party settled Luna's predicament would help. Finding a solution to that particular problem would also ease some of the tension in the group.

"All right. The situation is this: earlier we located a dead man whose soul seems to be trapped in his body, apparently by the dire wolf associating with the monk/mages of Wee Jas. Luna, you said your brother's shade appeared to you and identified this as the effect of a Soul Anchor spell, and that he knew how to remove it, right? The sigil we saw on the corpse appears to be the same that the dire wolf marked you with as well, so with luck it is the same spell and we can cure you both at the same time. To that end, I'd like all of us--" he gestures with one hand to indicate Luna, Wolf, Otiorin, and Bria "--to return to the dead man and Luna's brother and get this taken care of, now, before something else comes up. Lady Saberfang, if you have knowledge you believe would help in this matter, I'd appreciate your coming as well; elsewise I'd like you to stay inside here in case our newest guest awakens. Powerpaw, we'll be some distance from the road, even pulling the wagons up even with our planned location, so I'd like you to sit with Stewart and keep an eye out for approaching trouble. In the meantime, Master and Mistress Meadowsweet, if you haven't already arranged for it, I think we'd all appreciate a hot meal and drinks waiting for our return." He smiles, then looks around at the group once more. "Any questions?"

Luna nods as she listens to Bren. Thank Boccob that I have such friends to be able to look out for me while I'm nearly helpless. With luck, this affliction will be removed from me soon. She pauses in her thoughts, then has Sparkle send out, "I hope that whatever it is that is keeping me from speaking will be removed quickly. Wolf, you and I have much to discuss about this Dire Wolf. He has added himself to my list of creatures that I would happily not send a holiday card to, no matter how much they beg. In all seriousness, I am both anxious and eager for a rematch with that beast!"

Otiorin sighed mournfully as Bria detached herself from him. True, he was much warmer, drier and healthier, but still he'd wanted to spend more time with his 'prize' in hand. He nodded, then paused as he beheld his sodden clothing still steaming by the fire. It was still wet, wet enough that it had caused a puddle. This was not going to be fun...

He eased on his boots, which squelched and squeaked as he pushed his feet deeper into them, before picking up his shirt and wringing out what felt like a gallon of water from it. He winced as he put the cold, wet fabric over his warm, dry skin and then sighed again as he eased his way into his wet armor. With his sword belt securely buckled and Moonlit Edge back in her sheath, he stood ready but unhappy at the prospect of returning out into the Highwind storm outside.

Leonard Wolf - The Ranger

Shape: Human

Spell 1: Delay Poison

Spell 2: Entangle

Favored Terrain: No

Meat or Fish: Meat

Preferred Dice: Black or Red

"That thing will pay dearly." Wolf said in response to Luna. He seemed to have regained some of his determination and zeal. "We'll be face to face before long, and then he'll wish we never crossed paths at all."

(@All. The next two paragraphs were talked out between Kaerri and myself and are provided here for the sake of brevity.) Bren and Powerpaw share a brief discussion. Bren leaves the Crown of Chains sitting on his own bent and broken shield, guarded by the three Killer Mimics in the bar. The canine-like guardians have specific instructions from Stewart not to touch the horribly-cursed thing.

Powerpaw makes his way outside to join Stewart. As Bren passes, Powerpaw presents to him a barrier. "Here, Face. Use dis. She's seen lotsa battles, just like youse." Bren moves forth to adventure bearing Powerpaw's original magical shield, a wide circular fortification nearly 6 feet in height and width with a great snarling lion with claws drawn and fangs bared emblazoned upon its much-beaten, but still handsome, wood surface.

Large-sized Heavy Wooden Shield +1

Statistics: AC +5 (acts as a Tower Shield for medium-sized creatures such as Bren and a fortress wall for anything hobbit-sized =)),

- Maximum Dex Bonus: +2

- Armor Check Penalty: -10

- Weight: 30 pounds.

Notes: Tower shields provide full cover for one direction only and incur a -2 to strike rolls due to its encumbrance (Pathfinder Core Book, pg. 153)

Sabrefang, shield and scimitar at the ready, stands tall and furry at the door to the outside. "Brendoran, friend of my son and fellow follower of the Goddess of the Forest, I wholeheartedly agree to accompany you. This part of the forest was once under my protection and, Mielikki help me, I owe it to those that call it home to do what I can. Even if it were not so, I still wish to help you if only for the blessed gifts of freedom and friendship you have given me and my son." With these words, she joins your team.

Each of the Wayfaring Wanderers passes from the warm comforts of the Adventurers' Wagon to return to the Highwindian thunderstorm raging above the Road of Kings and Shandra's Evergreen. That storm greets you mercilessly. In but a span of heartbeats, you are as soaked as if you had never been inside and the chill that follows is such that it can only be born of the legendary Frozen Reaches. Such a storm to come this far south is rare, but not unheard of.

Stewart, sitting on the horse driver's seat, clasps his hands in prayer and makes the sign of a starburst as each of you pass by him. His murmuring is fervent. "Saint Cuthbert of the Cudgel, great god of wisdom, common sense, truth, forthrightness, dedication, zeal... provide your guidance upon these that fight against evil and for the future of others. Let them defy wicked Wee Jas in every sense. Let them return wiser than before." The grand horses beneath the old fellow are silent and morose in the gray downpour.

As you look about the highway and forest, you find that Stewart has driven the horses up to the beginning of the Formorian-made path of cracked trees and stomped earth that you first encountered. It is a arrow shot's distance straight to the place where you found the unrestful corpse and Alec Callen. As you step down and trudge through the swollen mud, the cracking, blasting thunderstorm comes down with such rain that you lose sight of the Adventurers' Wagon when you are but 50 feet away from the gargantuan vehicle. Every boom of thunder causes Bria to flinch. Sabrefang notices and walks over the young monk as if to help shield her from the elements. Meanwhile, Sparkle is cuddled in Luna's robes as best as she is able while Pecker resides inside the simple necklace that dangles 'round Leonard's neck.

You arrive at the end of the trail. There, at the base of the tree, lies the unrestful corpse in the place you left him. He moans not, nor does he stir. His face is frozen into a fearful expression. His wide open eyes stare vacantly into the sky, no longer bothered by mortal worries like rain or lightning.

Of Alec, there is no sign. Luna knows that Alec is neither a brave man nor a coward, but he definitely has the sense to run when the kind of combat that the Wanderers endured comes a'calling. It is likely that Alec fled to whatever safety ghosts can manage once the danger made itself known. Where he is now, Luna can only guess. She does know that ghosts like Alec can move most speedily when they need to.

Sabrefang and Bria pause and make separate requests of their heavenly hosts when they get a good look at the horrible corpse. They hustle to his side and combine their efforts, working together quickly. They speak their findings aloud.

"This attack was done by a skillful warg. No doubt."

"Oh dear. His soul has departed. But where has he gone?"

"This is just like how we found the others..."

"The sigil..." Bria casts a simple orison. Luna and Otiorin recognize it as her Detect Magic orison. "The soul anchor is here but... oh no... it's fading!"

"How long have we?"

"Perhaps two minutes."

"There appears to be an activation word here! I can read it. Do we... activate it?"

With a whirl of wet fur and hair, both druidess and healer turn wide-eyed to Bren for answer.

I am editing the last post to clarify how much time you actually have. "Heartbeats" is far from clear. "Perhaps two minutes" is much better.

Standard AC: 27

Powerpaw's tower shield +1

(-2 to attack rolls)

Bren's eyes widen at the casters' remarks, but there appears to be no time for a long discussion. He turns to Luna and Otiorin, the arcanists of the party. "Thoughts and opinions, please! I'm inclined to not; if his soul's already gone a reactivation could snare one of us."

Before anyone could speak Otiorin spoke up.

"I'll activate it.", he said, his voice carrying clearly across the ravaged clearing even over the violence of the storm around and above them. It seemed that for a moment the vehemence of his words quelled the storm for the merest moment before it rushed in, as if affronted by a puling mortal's attempt to conquer it's tumult.

He raised a hand toward Bria, fending off any argument from her before continuing, "The activation word needs the power of a spellcaster, Luna is unable to speak the word and Auntie Sparkle is too precious to risk. Too important also are Bria and Melshaef. Which leaves me. I can cast, but my castings are feeble, I fight but my techniques and tactics are sorely lacking.", he paused as he remembered the recent drubbing he'd been subjected to,"It makes me the ideal candidate for this job. If I am injured, then there is Bria and Bren on hand to rescue me. If this activation causes me to be attacked by something, then I have the skills to avoid it. My nimbleness and quick wits will protect me, and I'll have my fellow Wanderers to guard me."

Bren shakes his head at Otiorin's self-disparaging description of his abilities, but says only, "But should it be activated, is the question."

"No." Wolf steps up, visibly troubled. "Not if you ask me. Haven't we risked enough? I probably know the least of all gathered here, but the things I've heard on my travels suggest the possibility of something happening that may well be beyond the skill of anyone here to fix. Then what?" he asks. "I don't relish condemning souls, but Otiorin's is more precious to me than this stranger's. And that goes for anyone here. I don't think it's worth the risk - unless you're really confident about handling this."

He directs the last statement towards Otiorin and Bria, for the two of them are the ones who are taking the most risk.

Luna wraps her arms around herself and bows her head. I wish I knew what to do. I hate feeling so helpless. Sparkle, you have seen much in your time with my family. Do you have any input you could share with us?

Sparkle's private reply to Luna is as immediate as it is worried. I know much of dragons and certain histories, but of souls and that which binds them here, I know not... And how I wish I knew these things now!

At Otiorin's declaration, Bria makes no move at all to stop the rogue/sorcerer. Instead, she smiles rather proudly at him before returning to her study.

Sabrefang looks to Wolf and says, "One thing is for certain; we need to know more and quickly!" Seeing that Bria has cast Detect Magic, Sabrefang does the same. They continue to hurriedly study the tiny black cube together. While they do, they share more thoughts aloud.

"I say we pull the thing out of his neck and examine the soul anchor in its entirety!"

"Right! It's now or never!"

With a swift yank, Sabrefang takes the dice-shaped thing out of the corpse's throat. She lowers it to Bria's level in between two claws. Together, they peer. After another moment, Sabrefang says, "What is this? The soul anchor appears not to have one purpose, but two! But what? I cannot make this sigil out..."

"There is both necromantic and conjuration magic at work here, but arcane magic... I'm having trouble understanding this sigil on the back, but I can't make out that second design... Wait! Luna, you and Otiorin try!"

"Good thinking!" Sabrefang hustles over to the two of them. She holds the soul anchor in the palm of her paw and looms over it so that the rain does not fall upon it. "See on the opposite face of the soul anchor? Can you make that out? We have perhaps a minute remaining. Oh, and whatever you do, don't say that activation word!"

There, on the opposite side of the pulsing soul anchor, are a pair of intertwined sigils. The divine casters in your group appear to be confusing it for one. It is an easy mistake to make given that one sigil is, in fact, upside-down but if you separate them in your mind, you might make them out and reveal them for what they are. Doing so might possibly tell you what this item does.

@Sherwood and @Captain Hesperus Please roll Knowledge: Arcana on the Adventurers' Table if you wish your character to try and divulge the secret.

The following information is known to Otiorin and Luna:

You both discover on one face of tiny ebony cube there is writ the word, "Forboda."

This must be the activation word Sabrefang saw but Bria missed (remember, at this time, this word has not been spoken aloud).

Otiorin, Luna, and Sparkle know this name and knowing it is reason to tremble. Forboda is the wing-name (i.e. popular name, but not true-name) of a Shadow Dragon of undetermined age. Forboda the Ever-cloaked, he who rules over a land in The Shadow World called the Umbra Kingdom. Fickle and selfish, tales tell that from time to time, lonely Forboda sends forth powerful and strange minions to Sharseya to bring illumination to his dark and dangerous realm - illumination in the form of lively souls.

It is easy for Otiorin to thus gather what have Sparkle and Luna long known - that Luna is just the type of creature Forboda would do much to have (being both spirited and a wizard of fire). What Forboda does with his victims is not known to you; you simply know that once taken, they never return unless rescued by some outside powerful force.

The mystery of the one-sigil-that-is-two eludes Otiorin like a jewel dropped down a drain, but Luna spent far more time in study than in adventurous and romantic affairs and her doing so provides rewards. Once she mentally separates the mish-mash of sigils (i.e. forms the proper pictures in her brain), each sigil becomes something she fully recognizes. =)

The first sigil is a skull lit from behind by a fireball - the unmistakable symbol of the Lady of Book and Bone, Wee Jas.

The second, upside-down sigil is a full moon overshadowing a new moon, both partially hid behind a sea of clouds - one of many symbols used to describe the Elemental Plane of Shadow (often known on Sharseya as The Shadow World).

Knowing this, other important bits of knowledge then become evident to the scholarly mage - the unrestful Mielikkian commoner's spirit is not present because it no longer resides on Sharseya. True followers of Mielikki, once dead, soar through the cosmos until they reach Mielikki's home plane (The Happy Hunting Grounds). Knowing this, only one conclusion only seems possible to Luna - the Soul Anchor must double as a means to the Shadow World and that black realm is where the innocent man's soul has been taken.

Speaking Forboda's name aloud is the key to activating the Soul Anchor (Luna might instead activate it by focusing very hard on the name if she wishes to trigger it). The bigger mystery is what connection Wee Jas has with Forboda; this is the very first time you have ever seen those names connected...

Luna has less than a minute if she wants to relay this information. After that, there will be even less time to choose whether or not the Wanderers activate the Soul Anchor or lay the opportunity aside (along with an innocent man's soul).

Luna knows that usually such interplanar items either stay open for a time (creating an immobile road of sorts) or they go with the traveler who might activate it again to return from whence he or she came when they please.

Pyri, Sparkle gulps, we are no match for Forboda, but what if the man's soul has not yet reached him? Might there be a chance to save him and perhaps learn more about how to stop you from sharing a similar fate?

Armed now with this secret knowledge, what does Luna do?

Luna feels both a chill up her spine and a bit sick to her stomach as the impact of what she sees hits her. Great Boccob! What has that beast done to us? We must try to help free this man's soul, and hopefully, free myself. I am going to try to activate this. While I do so, tell the others what we now know. Wish me luck, my friend.

Before she can have any second thoughts, the fire mage focuses her will on the sigil, trying to activate it. Please, let this work!

As Luna touches the Soul Anchor's surface, Sparkle's hurried thoughts are heard by all. Everyone? Luna is activating the Soul Anchor which appears to go to the Plane of Shadow in an attempt to free both herself and the Mielikkian.

Bren's eyes widen at Sparkle's announcement and he quickly takes action, reaching to grab Luna's hands before they can reach the soul anchor in Saberfang's claws. As he does so, he cries out, "Do not! Do not even think it! Have you forgotten you bear one in your own throat, and that you could activate them both, unwittingly? Would you 'port yourself, and possibly us all, unheedingly to the Shadows? We are not fit for such a venture! What in St. Cuthbert's name does 'activation' mean in your world? Divination?" He looks as if he has more to say, but there is little time to say it before Luna makes her overconfident action.

Luna pauses as the impact of Bren's words sink in. Feeling a bit foolish for not thinking about the thing in her neck, she steps back and nods. You are right, and I ask for forgiveness for my shortsighted actions. Please, activate the stone! It may be the only chance that poor man's soul has to see the light once more.

Wolf seems all the more disturbed at the mention of the Plane of Shadows, and Bren's reaction only serves to bolster that look. "My respects to the recently deceased, but I really don't think this is wise."

Sparkle, they need to know what I discovered, and quickly. Please tell them. We are running out of time.

Oh my dear Pyri, Sparkle coos. You have a Pseudo-dragon as a familiar - I can do far better than simply tell them... Wanderers? Open your minds to me, please.

Sparkle uses her ability to communicate telepathically with all of the Wanderers present. In but seconds, each Wanderer understands the following:

(The following is essentially a shortened repost from Entry #164 where Otiorin and Luna came to their discoveries.)

Short version: The activation word is the name of a Shadow Dragon, Forboda, who rules a kingdom in the Shadow World. The sigils are of Wee Jas and the Shadow World. Luna believes the item provides transportation there.

Not-so-short version: On one face of tiny ebony cube there is writ the word, "Forboda." This is assumed to be the activation word on the six-sided Soul Anchor.

Forboda is the wing-name (i.e. popular name, but not true-name) of a Shadow Dragon of undetermined age. Forboda the Ever-cloaked, he who rules over a land in The Shadow World called the Umbra Kingdom. Fickle and selfish, tales tell that from time to time, lonely Forboda sends forth powerful and strange minions to Sharseya to bring illumination to his dark and dangerous realm - illumination in the form of lively souls.

Luna is just the type of creature Forboda would do much to have (being both lively-spirited and a wizard of fire). What Forboda does with his victims is not known to you; you simply know that once taken, they never return unless rescued by some outside powerful force.

Upon the rear of the Soul Anchor, there is a sigil, but Luna has learned that it is actually two sigils, carefully intermingled.

The first sigil is a skull lit from behind by a fireball - the unmistakable symbol of the Lady of Book and Bone, Wee Jas.

The second, upside-down sigil is a full moon overshadowing a new moon, both partially hid behind a sea of clouds - one of many symbols used to describe the Elemental Plane of Shadow (often known on Sharseya as The Shadow World).

Luna reasons the following: the unrestful Mielikkian commoner's spirit is not present because it no longer resides on Sharseya. True followers of Mielikki, once dead, soar through the cosmos until they reach Mielikki's home plane (The Happy Hunting Grounds). Knowing this, only one conclusion only seems possible to Luna - the Soul Anchor must double as a means to the Shadow World and that black realm is where the innocent man's soul has been taken.

Speaking Forboda's name aloud is the key to activating the Soul Anchor (Luna was trying instead activate it by focusing very hard on the name in her mind). The bigger mystery is what connection Wee Jas has with Forboda; this is the very first time any of you have ever seen those names connected...

Luna also knows that usually such interplanar items either stay open for a time (creating an immobile road of sorts) or they go with the traveler who might activate it again to return from whence he or she came when they please.

Pyri, Sparkle gulps, we are no match for Forboda, but what if the man's soul has not yet reached him? Might there be a chance to save him and perhaps learn more about how to stop you from sharing a similar fate?

All this is relayed in but 6 seconds time. You have a little over 40 seconds left. Knowing this, Sparkle beams with pride.

"Forboda!" Bria gasps and shakes her head. "Bren, when I died, that's the very dragon that kidnapped me on my soul's route to Heaven! If it weren't for Kaerri and the rest of the Wandering Monsters, I'd still be there!"

Sabrefang wrings her paws in worry. "If it is indeed an item that provides transport, is it for one? For all? Merciful Mielikki, what do we do?"

"In the interests of fairness, did Bria just activate it just now?"

Dungeon Master: "No. She is not touching it." (And no, I don't mind you guys knowing that. =) )

(-2 to attack rolls)

Bren's grip on Luna's wrists is almost too tight for comfort, but the wizardess can sense something else through that point of contact - the big human's hands, though holding strongly, are shaking ever so slightly. This close, she can see that it is not anger he is feeling, but fear. He closes his eyes momentarily when she steps back, relief spreading over his face. The sending from Sparkle causes his eyes to snap back open again, and he releases his grip as he "listens," then turns towards Bria. The healer has forestalled him, however, or at least the first part of what he had planned to say.

"I knew of that, though not the name." He gazes around the group as he speaks, meeting each person's eyes steadily. "At that time, Bria's group and I had twice the skill* I have presently, and even then it would have been a difficult task - and that was with a temple of clerics standing by, had we lost our way. We have none here, no way of returning if these--" he nods towards the anchors "--fail us, as well they might, and none to know where we went or how to reach us." He shakes his head sadly. "I am sorry, but I cannot agree to an activation now, in this place. I know of one who can assist, but is in Highwind..." He looks at Bria. "Can we not preserve his corpse on our trip? Surely Bishop will be able to find a rescue party, for him and the others Lady Saberfang mentioned. In the meantime I think we should focus on Luna and on reaching Highwind as soon as may be."

*By which he means he was then twice the level he is now.

At the end of Sparkle's relay the shadows of worry and disturbance on Wolf's face begin to mingle with astonishment and childlike interest. His eyes dart around randomly, keeping track of his invisible thoughts. "Interesting." he says, in his usual fascinated tone. This is the Wolf best known to the party; the one who readily absorbs new tales and legends, eager to hunt them down and experience them himself. "This is... more than I knew before. Of course," he clears his throat, "It is still inadvisable. At this moment, that is. But after we've prepared..."

Bria replies to Bren. "Do you mean raising him from the dead, Bren? I can preserve his corpse for that purpose, but unless I can speak to his spirit, I won't know if he wants to return."

The vast majority of my NPCs in Sharseya, if slain, do not choose resurrection (seeing their end as way it was meant to be, you might say). Even Bria held this opinion when she died all those years ago. Only those rarest of NPCs with tremendous resolve or incredible purpose usually seek to return to life. The rest pass on.

After Sparkle telepathically explains, Leonard says, "This is... more than I knew before. Of course," he clears his throat, "It is still inadvisable. At this moment, that is. But after we've prepared..."

And someone not of the Wanderers answers. "All of their souls will be forfeit by tonight."

It comes from nearby, its source cloaked by the rainstorm and booming thunder that has soaked each of you to the skin. Your ears tell you the vaguely familiar voice (to all save Leonard) is male, soft-spoken, and is holding in a great deal of terrible emotion

"Ah... Please forgive me, eavesdropping on all of you like this, but... if you aren't going to go now to the Shadow World to rescue those people..."

"...may I?"

Out of the loud gray gloom, in the direction of the Adventurers' Wagon comes a man wearing a scowl more fit for a demon than a human being. He is both tall like Bren and incredibly fit. No shoes adorn his silent, muddy feet. His broad chest and muscular arms are covered only in rain.

You see no belongings upon him at all save for the white cotton pants he wears. His black ragged hair and beard are a disastrous wet mess, unkempt and clinging to his skin. There is a purple bruise on his chin and a large yellow abrasion on his left cheek. With gorgeous blue eyes, he seems to measure each of you with a stare that holds in great pain like a dam holding back a river during a flood.

Those pained eyes rest long on Luna, but longest on Bria. Then with fists clenched, he quickly looks to Bren.

"You'd be doing me one hell of a favor if you say 'yes.'"

(-2 to attack rolls)

Bren shakes his head in response to Bria's question. "Not to raise, unless he chooses; but as a focus to find his soul, if that is possible..." He breaks off to hear what Wolf says, and a new voice enters the conversation.

Dannigan said:
"You'd be doing me one hell of a favor if you say 'yes.'"
Bren's eyes, which for most of the previous conversation had been darkened by the hard decision before them, have now a gleam of hope. He still doesn't think the Wanderers are up to a trip to the Shadow Plane, much less facing its draconic sovereign. However, here is someone he knows is more powerful than any Wanderer singly, and probably more powerful than all of them together. Certainly the Wee Jas monk/mages had thought so, and were nearly proven right before this man broke free (if only for an instant) from the chains they'd put on him. And how strong must he be to have done that? Moreover, he clearly knows at least as much of the situation as any of the Wanderers do, and likely more - and is still volunteering.
Bren looks at Bria for any clue to her thoughts, since she seems to know this man already. He expects to see the kind of concern she would have for any friend entering such a dangerous mission, of course; but he's looking for something beyond that - something to say whether she thinks the man is capable enough. Bren himself is nearly ready to accept the offer, and waits only for that confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back