• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Seven: Melshaef's Tree and the Crown of Chains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luna does her best to help the others in more need than she, taking time only to let her wounds get wrapped up better than the half assed way she did earlier. Her tears flow freely at the sight of mamapaw rushing to get to her son, and it makes Luna wonder where Wolf is. I do hope he is ok. And I wonder what happened to my brother?

Otiorin released Bria from his arms and gently moved around behind her. Once there, he wrapped his legs around her waist and carefully braced one of her shoulders with his left arm, while holding a broken arm up toward Bren with his right.

"You draw the broken bones apart, I'll manipulate them back into position.", he said nervously, before speaking into Bria's ear, "Sorry, this will probably hurt like a bastard."

Brendoran, human fighter/ranger

Standard AC: 23

Fort save: +11

Ref save: +7

Will save: +4

Current action points: 5

Current HP: 45/78

Status effects: none

broken shield

Bren smiles as the "reinforcements" arrive. "Do you hold Star - and how on earth you can, I'd like to hear, later - for the time being, while the wounded are seen to, Stewart." He calls reassuringly to Mamapaw, "He is but unconscious, Lady Saberfang, and will be well enough shortly!" He looks back at Stewart when he asks whether the big monk is a prisoner. "That depends on his state when he awakes. We ought to care for ourselves first, then see to him. And on that note..."

He settles beside Otiorin and nods. "Let's be quick about it then, to minimize her pain." And with that he begins.

• Wolf leaves behind the fleeing strangers and the barking laughter of the foul-hearted Dire Wolf of Dalsus. That laughter reverberates through the land in a way that once in the ear stays long in the mind.

Thick sheets of pummeling rain continue to soak Wolf while great gusts of chilling wind batter the trees and highway. All about Wolf there is only the gray of the storm, the deep green of the forest, and the all-encompassing sounds of the torrential downpour around him. While the cover of the woods seem to beckon Wolf to safety, it is the open road that provides the best way back to his friends. For long, long moments there is no sign of any kind of them.

Then a sound that hurts to hear reaches his ears; it is the sound of Bria crying out once in the most awful shriek of agony Wolf has ever heard a woman make.

The only comfort that sound brings is the surety that Wolf is indeed that much nearer to his friends.

I expect by my next in-game post, Wolf will have arrived with the Wanderers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Luna scrambles back from the disoriented cat at Mamapaw's insistence and is glad of the warning. When Bria reveals the crown of chains, Luna has Sparkle relay a message for her that she is willing to offer up any assistance that she can, even if she is unfamiliar with the dark object.

Otiorin's face went as pale as Bria's as he and Bren went about the gruesome task of resetting the broken bones in the Ko's arms manually. The young Half-elf could almost feel every modicum of agony, every moment of the intense pain she experienced. He felt nauseous, his stomach roiling, but he did not relent in his task of holding Bria still while guiding the broken ends back into place. With the agonising process of the bone-setting done and the nasty bruising resolved by Bren's salve, Otiorin found his cheeks flushing crimson at Bria's tender kiss.

This is new, I've never felt self-conscious about being kissed before

But the moment passed as Bria revealed the evil-looking crown.

"What a monstrous creation,", he said, involuntarily making an Elven hand gesture to ward off evil, "I'm not knowledgeable with such things, but I'll help in any way I can."

broken shield

At Bria's scream, Bren very nearly flinches himself. This sweet girl is one of the last people he'd ever choose to cause pain to, but in this case it's necessary. His face sets into a grim mask for the rest of the procedure, but his determination to finish remains constant, and thankfully she finds a way to control her own reaction, which makes it easier for him to continue (and no doubt that's partly why she did it!). He sighs in relief when the last bone is finally set and the salve is applied.

Bren smiles at Powerpaw's sudden and energetic awaking, but his attention is diverted by the discussion of the unconscious monk. He shudders at the sight of the evil headpiece and nods in agreement with Otiorin's statement. "I will help too, though I wonder if Luna or Lady Saberfang might not be better? Is it strength of arm that is needed here, or strength of will, Bria?"

• Lungs laboring, paws striding across the highway, Wolf eats up the distance with a terrific appetite. Then, through the blasting storm, he is rewarded with the sound of Bria's frantic voice through the rain as he approaches at top speed.

"Bren, where is Wolf?! Wasn't he here all along?" Then a dark thought strikes her. "Oh, when the Wee Jas taunted me, they said that foul warg that bit Luna wants him! Please don't tell me the Wee Jas captured him! The things they'll do--" She calls out. "Wolf, where are you?!"

The endless wall of dripping gray droplets that Wolf has been running through finally molds into a mass of forms, most of whom the once-lone ranger readily recognizes. It takes but a moment to see the sorry state the wounded Wanderers are in... Never have they looked so close to defeat. The earth around them is torn and rent by recent activity and there in the middle of it all is a small curious pile of what looks like ash soaked in the rain.

Powerpaw is looking weary, leaning against his mother and slowly rubbing his jaw; he looks as if something beat the living hell out of him. Otiorin the half-elf has a black blast mark on his chest. His frazzled, beat-up appearance seems as if he, too, has been confronted by a giant magic stick and pummeled with it all over. Bria's face lights up as she sees Wolf appear from the rain but it is clear she, too, has been the victim of violence; her arms especially appear weak and somewhat discolored. Despite her smile, she seems ready to fall over. Bren stands tall, but like a man battered and bruised after hard conflict. Of all the Wanderers, he appears the most fit. His once-straight steel shield, however, is now bent almost in the shape of a crescent moon. Not far from him, Powerpaw's beloved maul like shattered and broken beyond repair.

But it is Luna who is different than the others. A black and red swath of blood covers her neck and moreso - something appears to be in her neck; a small black sigil of some kind.

Mamapaw appears fresh and healthy as if she, too, has just arrived to the scene. Star, Bren's war-horse is ever-near his human. He appears unharmed but all-too-ready to fight. Behind Star, eight larger horses neigh and tap the muddy earth with impatient hooves. They pull the Adventurers' Wagon which stands tall and inviting behind them. Of Stewart and the Meadowsweets, there is no sign.

The only true stranger to Wolf is what appears to be a powerfully-built (think Bren but leaner) human man lying stone-cold unconscious. He wears black easy-to-move-in robes and a smooth leather mask that covers his mouth and nose. His hood and cowl have been pulled back, revealing a mass of blood-caked hair. Luna and Bria kneel on either side of this man's prone form, near his head. Bria's hand is upon his brow as if in affection.

Not far from him, there is a cold-looking crown laying in the mud. It looks as if it were made of hundreds of small, ebony rings covered in foul sigils wrought in some deep, dark corner of hell. You could swear the sigils and ringlets are moving ever so slightly...

"Wolf!" Bria smiles in relief as she looks Wolf over for wounds. "What happened? Are you O.K.? Where were you?"

Wolf has now rejoined his fellow Wanderers. =)

Leonard Wolf - The Ranger

Shape: Human

Spell 1: Delay Poison

Spell 2: Entangle

Favored Terrain: No

Meat or Fish: Meat

Preferred Dice: Black or Red

Upon his arrival Wolf is shocked again and again the more he takes in the scene. But it is Luna's condition that causes him to panic, transforming swiftly back into his human form and rushing to her side, only remotely feeling glad to rid himself of his drenched fur. "What the hell happened here?" he shouts to the others as he walks towards the sorceress. "Luna?" His weary eyes already inspect her for clues.

HP:7

Initiative: 19

Spells per day/remaining:3/4

Spells available: all

Active affects: Ring of Mind Shielding, Ring of Force Shield

Otiorin's gaze moved from the scene unfolding around the fallen monk to the newly returned ranger. His body ached and he found it hard to keep his feet.

"Monks. Mage monks of Wee Jas. They ambushed Bria and Vardadraug while they were coming to us. Then, they tore Bren and I to shreds when we arrived while their pet wolf brutalised Luna. It was pure luck that Saberfang, Stewart and the hobbits came and disturbed them that we were not all killed.", he said through gritted teeth, "Where did you go?"

Luna goes over to Wolf and pulls him into her arms and rests her head on his chest, quietly crying in both relief and fear of what might be done to her. She finally releases him and takes his hand as Otiorin begins his grilling. She motions towards the wagon and the rain, the non-spoken message her being, "lets get out of the weather and talk inside." Hopefully whatever was done to my voice can be safely healed so I can talk again.

broken shield

Patting Star's neck reassuringly, Bren nods to Stewart. "That will be fine, thank you." He smiles as the dreadful "crown" is safely removed. "Well done, both of you! Bria, what should be done with that ... thing, now? We can't just leave it for the next bunch of travelers to happen across, and I'd as soon the monk/mages didn't reclaim it either." He then nods in answer to the healer's question. "A natural awakening is probably best for him. How short a distance? We're fairly gathered up now; it shouldn't take much to keep your friend out of the effect if he's to the outside of the group. I'd like us all at full readiness, or as close as possible, when we start working on Luna's problem."

Upon Wolf's arrival, Bren starts to speak, then frowns as the other ranger completely ignores everyone but Luna. Love is all well and good, but does he care nothing for the rest of them? It is his behavior (or lack thereof) towards Bria that particularly irritates him, but he manages to set that aside for the moment. "An excellent summary, Otiorin. Though you left out your own skill and teamwork that helped us to remain in the fight as long as we did. And I, too, am interested in our ranger's whereabouts and what, particularly, he was thinking when he chose that particular moment to run off scouting."

Favored Terrain: Yes

Helpless to let go of Luna, the ranger lets her pull him away; all the while casting apologetic glances towards Bren and Otiorin. "I... I'm sorry." he says. "I was hunting the dire wolf and then... I ran into something unexpected. I rushed back as fast as I could. Talk more inside?" His voice is humble and thoughtful, as if his was still making sense of the whole situation, and there is a cloud of sadness fogging up his usually clear hazel eyes.

Initiative: 19

Active affects: Ring of Mind Shielding, Ring of Force Shield

Otiorin scowled at the retreating ranger, but swiftly wiped the expression from his face.

"There's merit in that, let's get us all safely withindoors and out of this downpour. It wouldn't do to survive that fight only to die of a cold.", he replied, "Here, let's get this fellow inside."

So saying, he reached down and pulled on the fallen monk's arm, straining to haul the dead weight into a position where he could be levered to his feet. Daggers of pain lanced through his body as he struggled to hoist the body upright.

broken shield

Bren frowns at what, to him, is an inadequate explanation, but he sees the sense in Wolf's suggestion. He shakes his head when Otiorin tries to lift the big monk on his own. "Here, you're in no shape for that. Lady Saberfang, could you help him get Bria's friend to one of the back bedrooms, while I get Star settled?" He glances around at the group. "We'll gather in the pool room, where Bria can heal our injured while we talk."

Luna head into the wagon, feeling relief at being out of the rain. When she passes a mirror, she makes the mistake of looking at her reflection. Great Boccob I look ghastly. I hope that the healing magic doesn't leave scars. Heading to a nearby cabinet, she pulls out a handful of towels and starts to pass them out to the others, keeping one for herself to start drying off.

"What?!" Bria hears Wolf's words and looks as if she has been punched in the gut. "The others came running when I cried out, but you... suddenly decided to go off hunting? Wolf, I was screaming for my life! I needed you and..." She does not finish the sentence. She simply stands there in the rain, stunned to her very soul.

"Tanks a lot, Wolf-face! Way ta be dere fer yer fellow Wanderer!" Holding his chest and chin, Powerpaw hisses. He half-staggers over to the Crown of Chains. He stares at it, growling and making great hate-filled sounds. As he thinks of the vast amounts of misery this thing has caused, his warrior's heart burns with thoughts of vengeance that are clear on his whiskered face. But then his gaze softens as he hears a familiar voice.

"Fuzzy Goof, no..." Bria just shakes her head sadly. "That's what the Wee Jas want - more hate."

He growls, his sharp fangs bared at the crown, "But... if I kin not haz hate fer da damned ting, den what?"

"The most powerful force in all the cosmos," says she. "Love. Love for us. Love for yourself. Think only of the crown as a very dangerous fire, never to be worn. Take it with us and give it no more thought than a dead viper. Focus instead on something loving."

Powerpaw looks back and forth from Bria to the crown with amazement. "Uhhh, how you tink like dat?" With some effort, he reaches over and pulls his shield from his back. Using it like a shovel, the Felane scoops up the crown. Then he joins Bria.

Otiorin's burden is heavy indeed and in his injured, battle-torn state, his body protests every movement that does not involve resting or getting a stiff drink. Sabrefang sees this. She looks both worried and sad as she hurriedly pads over to Otiorin. "Hold, Otiorin! Your leader speaks with wisdom. May I?" If Otiorin allows it, Sabrefang uses her Felane size and strength to scoop up the unconscious warrior in one arm. She holds out her free paw to help the half-elf get into the wagon.

Powerpaw, Sabrefang, and Bria wait for Otiorin, Sabrefang, Bren, and one very miffed Star. Once together, the Wanderers make their way back inside the cozy warmth of the Adventurers' Wagon.

Once inside the main door you are all greeted with the vast beauty of the Grand Pool. Its water looks clean, comforting, and inviting. You are passed by Stewart who is donning his wide feathered hat and leather coat. "I will drive us away. May the Saint be with you all for what you have endured this day." With that, the older fellow steps through the portal and back into the raging thunderstorm outside.

"Tanks," Powerpaw replies.

In ones and twos, the Wanderers find themselves collected somewhat brokenly on the floor between the Grand Pool and the main door to the outside. Sabrefang carefully carries the unconscious warrior toward a spare bedroom.

Powerpaw groans as he carefully takes a seat on the beautiful wood floor. Already, the Meadowsweets have gathered large towels and blankets for you to dry and warm yourselves with.

Meanwhile, Bria appears lost. Her soft brown eyes look about the room, but her mind is not there. Slowly, the crestfallen monk makes her way over to the one person she has known the longest. Wounded, weary, and with a bludgeoned spirit, she steps over to Bren. Her head falls on his chest with a tiny thump. For all of the time she has known him, Bren has always been reliable, compassionate, Ko-like, and a true friend. "Bren... I've been nearly killed (again), my healing powers were almost forever robbed, Otiorin just told me he loved me again (and this time I think he means it), Luna has something awful in her throat (that has wounded her in more ways than one), Wolf decided not to be there when I needed him most, and... my work is far from over." She leans against him. "After I finish with the team tonight, I really need a break for a couple of days. It will take at least that long to restore him." She looks to Sabrefang and the man in her arms. "And... right now... I really need a hug..." She looks up into Bren's face with heavily-troubled eyes. "Is... Is that all right?"

"Guyz," Powerpaw rumbles with a growl, "I sez we sit right here an' figure out what da hell just happended! It's like dis! Bast az my witness, da first person ta up an' retreats to dere room wiffout us havin' dis chat gets a hammer in da back of da face! We gotta talk!" The grimacing Felane pulls one of his large-sized warhammers from his belt. He thumps this once upon the floor to make his point clear. Then he turns to Otiorin.

[QUOTE="Captain Hesperus]
"Monks. Mage monks of Wee Jas. They ambushed Bria and Vardadraug while they were coming to us. Then, they tore Bren and I to shreds when we arrived while their pet wolf brutalised Luna. It was pure luck that Saberfang, Stewart and the hobbits came and disturbed them that we were not all killed.", he said through gritted teeth, "Where did you go?"

[/QUOTE]
"Hey, Rin-face? It waz not lucks dat turned da tide... It waz all Bria's scream. If she hadn'ta screameded..." Powerpaw looks to Bria with downcast whiskers and a caring expression. "We heard it down da road an' when we dids, evewybody here freakded. 'Cept me. I super-freakeded..."

Whittle puts down a tray filled with cups of warm cider and hot cocoa and exclaims, "By the Green! I'll be telling you all what happened! We all heard Miss Bria cry out! We dropped everything, but among us only Powerpaw knew what he was doing, loves! 'What do we do?!' I says. But he says, 'I don't know what you are doin', but I know what I haz ta do!' And off he went, charging up the highway all alone!"

"We would have been there sooner," Bonny says meekly as he lights the fire to the wall fireplace, "except before all of that, this mad badger went and stole my muffins! My delicious blueberry muffins! The nerve, I say! Sabrefang, Mielikki bless her soul, went with me to get them back and chastise the little thief. Upon our return, Powerpaw was all up in arms saying that Pecker had just been there and that Bren had called for Bria and Sabrefang for some kind of magical trouble! And that's when we all heard Miss Bria scream!"

Whittle continues. "We would 'ave been there a mite bit sooner, but it takes a moment or three to get a wagon this size moving, don't ya know! Once we were on the go, we heard Powerpaw roar out something fierce, and then Mister Stewart, he must be wet as a frog right now, went and said, 'Come, everyone! They need us! Let us all pretend we are an army! A BIG army! The more'a shouting we do, the more'a people the enemy will think there is! Quite brilliant, I say. I would have never thought of it."

"Dats sums up what happeneded on our end of tings." Powerpaw nods though his eyes hardly ever leave Bria. "So, Wolf-face..." There comes the sound of a snarl in the Felane's voice. "Did'ya catch whatever you went huntin' for? Waz it worth it?"

"Powerpaw," Bria frowns. "He apologized to Bren and Rin."

"Yah, he said sorries
ta dem! I get dat! I just need ta know if he's gonna do dis on us again!" He stares at Wolf. "I ain't tryin' ta sniff in yer personal buisnezz, Face; I just tink us fellow Wandererz deservez ta know what we kin expects from you in da future!"

With Sparkle curled up in her arms, she looks down to the Pseudodragon. Please relay a message for me? There is more going on than this, and I don't know how it may affect us. The shade of my brother, Alec, appeared to me when I was looking over the body of the dead man in the road that was marked with a similar sigil on his throat. Before we had much of a chance to catch up and see what brings him here, Sparkle heard the battle and I came running as fast as I could, for what good I did when I got here. He did say that the other man was under the influence of a Soul Anchor, and Alec did say he knew how to remove it. I don't know if that knowledge will help treatment of my own wounds or not.

I will relay this word-for-word to everyone present, Pyri. Sparkle does just that. =)

broken shield

Dannigan said:
You are passed by Stewart who is donning his wide feathered hat and leather coat. "I will drive us away. May the Saint be with you all for what you have endured this day." With that, the older fellow steps through the portal and back into the raging thunderstorm outside.
"Hold, Stewart." If Bren doesn't catch Stewart before he's through the portal, Bren will follow him outside. "Don't leave, but do keep watch, as best you can in all this. We've unfinished business in this area, which I'll try to get to as soon as we can." He then rejoins the party.
Dannigan said:
Meanwhile, Bria appears lost. Her soft brown eyes look about the room, but her mind is not there. Slowly, the crestfallen monk makes her way over to the one person she has known the longest. Wounded, weary, and with a bludgeoned spirit, she steps over to Bren. Her head falls on his chest with a tiny thump. For all of the time she has known him, Bren has always been reliable, compassionate, Ko-like, and a true friend. "Bren... I've been nearly killed (again), my healing powers were almost forever robbed, Otiorin just told me he loved me again (and this time I think he means it), Luna has something awful in her throat (that has wounded her in more ways than one), Wolf decided not to be there when I needed him most, and... my work is far from over." She leans against him. "After I finish with the team tonight, I really need a break for a couple of days. It will take at least that long to restore him." She looks to Sabrefang and the man in her arms. "And... right now... I really need a hug..." She looks up into Bren's face with heavily-troubled eyes. "Is... Is that all right?"
A sympathetic expression clear on his face, Bren holds the poor healer close, just as he did his little sister as they were growing up. "Any time you need, my friend. Just you see to the healing, all right? We'll take care of the rest while you take care of yourself." With a pat on the shoulder or head from time to time, as she seems to need it, Bren maintains the hug until Bria is ready to stand on her own again. (It's clearly fraternal, of course, if anyone is wondering.)
Dannigan said:
"Guyz," Powerpaw rumbles with a growl, "I sez we sit right here an' figure out what da hell just happended! It's like dis! Bast az my witness, da first person ta up an' retreats to dere room wiffout us havin' dis chat gets a hammer in da back of da face! We gotta talk!" The grimacing Felane pulls one of his large-sized warhammers from his belt. He thumps this once upon the floor to make his point clear.
Bren sighs and shakes his head. "I don't think there's any need to resort to violence amongst ourselves. You don't want to make Bria's job harder, do you? Besides, I'm sure everyone recognizes the need for discussion." He looks around the room, his face now clearly expressing that no one ought to be wanting to hide in their room until everything that needs to be said, has been.
Dannigan said:
Whittle continues. "And then Mister Stewart, he must be wet as a frog right now, went and said, 'Come, everyone! They need us! Let us all pretend we are an army! A BIG army! The more'a shouting we do, the more'a people the enemy will think there is! Quite brilliant, I say. I would have never thought of it."
Bren smiles. "It certainly worked very well, and I thank you all."
Sherwood said:
With Sparkle curled up in her arms, she looks down to the Pseudodragon. Please relay a message for me? There is more going on than this, and I don't know how it may affect us. The shade of my brother, Alec, appeared to me when I was looking over the body of the dead man in the road that was marked with a similar sigil on his throat. Before we had much of a chance to catch up and see what brings him here, Sparkle heard the battle and I came running as fast as I could, for what good I did when I got here. He did say that the other man was under the influence of a Soul Anchor, and Alec did say he knew how to remove it. I don't know if that knowledge will help treatment of my own wounds or not.
Bren nods in response to the Sparkle-relayed message. "Indeed, and as much else as we have to discuss right now, I think that Soul Anchor takes priority. Once we've freed that poor dead man, we can resume our journey while we use what we've learned to help you. They do seem related; the only apparent difference (to this non-caster) is that your mark is on the outside, while the dead man's mark was within his wound. Bria, Lady Saberfang, I had sent for you to see what knowledge you might have regarding this. Is there anything you can get from studying Luna's injury before we prepare to face the elements once more and see to the other?"

Initiative: N/A

Active affects: None

Otiorin, divested of his burdens, slouched along behind the rest of the Wanderers. Once within the comfort of the Wagon, he carefully divested himself of his sodden armor, setting it across the back of an ornate carver chair. Relieved of his armor, he stripped off his soaked shirt and left it in a far less orderly pile on the ground alongside his mud-caked boots, which he carelessly kicked off. He started to wander toward the sanctity of his quarters and the dry towels within, when Powerpaw made his dire warning against such an action. As if he were a marionette on the strings of a puppet-master, he heel-turned and slouched over to the nest of cushions he'd claimed as his own. Thus stripped, his chest bore the horrid red and puckered scars indicative of direct electrical burns and his arms were blotched with dark purple bruises. With exceptional care, he lowered himself into his cushions, wincing both in pain and at the contact of chilled britches on the flesh on his thighs.

He watched Bria and Bren hug and sighed.

I was this close to losing her. One way or the other. His mind retraced and reviewed his actions. Was there more I could have done? Was there something I could have done different? He scowled inwardly as he realised he could not deduce anything of value for the future. Instead, he sank into his cushions, shivering and wet and sore and miserable.

Wolf took the accusations head on and without a word. He had already said how sorry he was. There was nothing else to say.

Once inside he listened as the others spoke their peace; first Bria and Powerpaw, then Luna and Bren. He looked at their faces while they spoke, but his eyes would sink back down sooner or later, as if to keep looking up required more effort than he could muster. It was with long sighs that he accompanied his blank stares. "Do what?" he regarded Powerpaw with a contrasted expression. "Find myself in the wrong place at the wrong time? Sooner or later, probably." The ranger's voice sounded as dull and tired as he looked. "And as for your other question... That answered itself already, hasn't it? If I had caught my prey then Luna wouldn't... That wouldn't have happened to her. It is the dire wolf's mark, isn't it? Like the one on the dead man. This... soul anchor thing."

He reached out to Luna but his hand hovered hesitantly in the air and it wasn't clear what he was aiming to touch. Before long, he withdrew it. "I'm glad you're alive." he said, adding as he glanced around: "All of you. You seem to be on top of... whatever happened. That's good." His voice didn't sound good though. In fact, he sounded even more tired all of a sudden. To the point of defeated. His eyes skimmed the faces of his companions, not lingering anywhere for too long. "As for me, well, I don't know what you kin expects. Probably best not to expect too much, evidently." He eyed Powerpaw with a measure of caution, as if expecting the Felane to jump at him. "I'm sorry."

Stewart pauses in mid-stride, his ear ever-alert to news and knowledge. "Oh! Most certainly, Lord Sarabina. May the Saint watch over you all lest there be more dangers lurking in the cloak of this Highwindian thunderstorm." With that, he makes his way to the wind and the rain outside, his large eyes vigilant.

When Bria releases Bren from the hug, she appears healed a little somehow. It is as if the stress of the situation and the world at large are pushed farther back from the young monk's sensitive heart; it is a distance most-needed and appreciated. "Yes, Bren," she replies in her soft voice. "I just wanted to check Luna's wound prior to healing everyone. I was thinking, you know, if the Dire Wolf of Dalsus hurt her in a manner similar to how the Wee Jas injured me, then I'd better check her throat wound. Lest... well... you know."

Bria winces as she moves to Luna, but move she does. "Let me get a better look?" Once again, the peaceful Ko monk puts her own pain aside as she examines Luna's wound as best as she is able. "It's..." she faces Luna and looks the fire mage in the eyes with a tired expression. "It's not a curse and it's not a spell per-se; the warg put a physical item in your neck, Luna. It's about the size of a thunderstone. I don't know what will happen if we cut it out of you. And... it's dangerous because it looks like the sigil is active." Bria sighs. "The good news is I'm certain I can heal your physical wounds without permanently destroying your ability to cast spells. Can you tell me exactly what happened? Did he say anything?" She looks to her teammates. "You said there's another sigil? I need to see it."

Then she notices Otiorin and his state. He looks just how she feels. "Oh Rin. I'm so sorry. The Wee Jas did more than wound me; through me, they doubly wounded you. And Big Bren too, I bet." She hobbles over to Otiorin and kneels beside him. With three strokes of her newly-healed hands, her brown and white battle robes shimmer into an oversized comfy parka of red and pink, big enough to warm herself and Otiorin. Without hesitation, she wraps them both inside of it and soon warmth becomes more than a reality and shivering cold becomes more of a memory instead of the other way around. If he allows, Bria gives Otiorin a very big hug.

Once this is done, Bria sits up. She closes her eyes in concentration. Her lips move as she raises one hand into the air. Slowly, carefully she calls upon the awesome and cosmic power mortals call magic. With a firm voice that echoes off of the brown wooden walls of the Grand Pool, she channels her energy and chants...

"Auri'elu alai ris!"

"Auri'elu alai ris!"

As she chants, a great gold and light blue glow of terrific beauty rises there in the wagon in a thirty-foot radius centered on Bria. It is heavenly. This enchanted radiance reflects off of the water in the Grand Pool and in doing so, it illuminates the Grand Pool like never before. It is like a new dawn has risen. The healing force is like a soft waterfall upon burns, cooling and soothing, restoring and invigorating. While it does not dispel the emotional and physical fatigue that only time and sleep can return, it does bring an instant healing of wounds, restoring of youthful health, and a rush of vigor that just plains feels good! Also, as is the case with all healing magic that is performed by seriously-skilled practitioners, there is absolutely no scarring whatsoever (while the unholy item remains inside Luna's throat, she is physically unmarred otherwise and restored to perfect health).

The healing abilities of clerics and druids are known to the Wanderers, but Bria's brand of healing might be the envy of both in overall healing done and in casting efficiency. As for Bria, she calls upon the power as if it were an an old friend - and it answers in kind just as reliably.

Once her channeling is finished, she smiles brightly towards Powerpaw. Powerpaw's injuries require yet an additional channeling due to the wounds he received at the hands of the masked warrior. This, Bria provides. As the beautiful radiance of her magic fades, so too retreats the burden of your wounds.

Channel Energy #1

[dice]17924[/dice]

Channel Energy #2

[dice]17925[/dice]

Channel Energy #3

[dice]17926[/dice]

Every Wanderer is restored to full hit points; all wounds removed (save for Luna's). Please adjust your character sheets/in-game posts.

"Bren," Bria smiles beautifully, "I can channel three more times today." Then she proceeds to give Otiorin a shoulder rub with hands that are just as gifted and potent as her magic. "This is for restoring my healing magic, you wonderful scoundrel."

Powerpaw reaches up into the air with both paws and flexes. "Awww! Tanks Bria! I iz all readies ta kill agains! MOOOOOAR!" The room is soon filled with the sounds of heavy purring (the sound of which is both stress-relieving and attention-getting all at once - a feline his size purring must sound like the engine of a '57 Chevy idling. =) ).

The restored Felane shouts to Bren in reply. "C'mon, Bren-face! I wazn't gonna smack anybody lethallies! Just, ya know, bop 'em a real good one! We gotta talks! Why? 'Cause we should be deads!" He rises up towering over all of you; a mass of huge muscles covered by a mess of wet black and white fur. "Somebuddy wanna tell da Kitty-face how we won? Last ting I remembers was dat guy," he points at Mamapaw who is slowly walking along with her deadly burden, "givin' me da worst butt-kickin' of my life! I ain't kidding! I haz fought lots an' NOBODY ever took me out dat fast! One minnit, I was in a rage wif my best weapon 'cause I saw dat monkey-mage standin' over Bria an' I lost it. Next ting I know, my maul is destroyeded an' my world went blacks! Wha hoppen?"

Whatever the reply, Powerpaw listens to Wolf as he makes his statements and his heartfelt apology. As he listens, Powerpaw's expression is not the least bit dangerous (well, no more dangerous than it typically looks when he is at ease - anyone with that many sharp teeth...).

"Hey Wolf-face," he whispers. "I accepts! Face it, Face. Ya screwed up. So listens. Take da hit an' learn from its. I screwed up Rin-face's plan when da prisoner in da cage turned out ta be my mom, didn't I? An' Luna sure caught some hissin' when she goofed, but she grew from it, didn't shes? From da sound of tings, you took off away from Bria instead of to her when she needed ya most. If dats true, I just got two tings I want ya ta understands, wild guy."

"First, evwiebodies sees dat yer sorries an' regretfuls. Dat iz good 'cause it shows you cares. You haz always been honestses wif us (dats why we iz surprised really), but Bria iz da most sensitives of us, an' derefore da most hurted. I ain't askin' ya ta say sorries again (it hurts ta sez it even once), but don'tcha tink she's da one dat most needs it? Bria trusted youse. She cares about you lots! I bet she was really worried about youse! So... I sez, just let her knows somehow dat you iz sorries. Give her a look or sumthin'. Mebbe a flower. Dats all. Put yerselfs in her positions. Den just let her know ya still tink of her as a buddy."

"Da udder ting I wanna say iz dis: If you iz gonna run off evwie time you catch wind of dis warg, well... dat's O.K.! I get its! Iz all about da vengeances! Remember Dubble Trubble an' dat whole fiasco? I iz tinkin' dat dis damn warg dat scarred Luna-face is Dubble Trubble in yer life. So... take it from a Kitty-face," he points a claw at himself, "if you needs ta tear off after hims whenever ya sees him, well, do it! Just tellz us! 'Hay guyz! If I see da warg-face, I gotta kill hims, so forgives me if I bail suddenlies, O.K.?' Sumtin' like dat. Just tellz us now so we knows ta expects it!" He nods. "You unnerstands?" He licks his fangs and raises one powerful paw near Wolf in a friendly fashion. If Wolf allows, Powerpaw pats the young ranger on the shoulder like a buddy.

"An..." he chuckles mischievously and adds, "if ya want a Kitty-face ta help ya smash him flat-deads, well, say soes! We'll make a rug outta dat sonuva snake! I owes him a hammer-smack fer whatever dey dids ta Vardadraugs an' fer chewin' on Luna. KnowwhatImean, Face?"

With the healing spell from Bria comes the sweet relief of no pain. She tries to speak, but whatever that thing in her throat is, it is keeping her from talking still. Once again relaying her message through Sparkle, she says, Thank you, Bria. I am feeling much better, even if my voice is not yet back. I will have to rely upon my friends for protection for the foreseeable future. With any luck, my cursed condition will not last too much longer.

Her gaze keeps going back to Wolf as she sits there, feeling very vulnerable. She smiles at him, trying to keep her own spirits up and reassure her love that all will work out fine in the end. Luna cuddles up next to the ranger, feeling his strength as she pulls him close.

0 - Detect Magic, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Message

1 - Enlarge Person, Shield x2, Gravity Bow, Mage Armor, Unseen Servant

2 - Mirror Image, Cat's Grace, Scorching Ray

3 - Displacement, Fireball, Lightning Bolt

4 - Extended Haste, Ball Lightning

Force Missile x8

Mage Armor in effect

Wolf somewhat relaxes as Powerpaw takes the issue apart for study. At the end of it all, though, he hasn't much to say.

"Fine."

He looks around as if looking for something but doesn't make a step in any direction. He just stands there looking tired and sad. And a bit awkward. The last person his eyes set on is Luna. On her they linger for quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back