• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Seven: Melshaef's Tree and the Crown of Chains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bria puts her mouth to her hands and gasps. "Glider!" She whispers his name as if it were the holiest of prayers. When Bren looks to Bria for confirmation, she returns a look to Bren that seems to say, "Yes. If anyone can do it, he can."

Luna looks back and forth from her companions, trying to get a read on the man. In the meantime, she continues to hold onto Wolf, taking comfort from his strength.

Bren glances quickly around the group, then looks into the man's eyes and nods. "The activation word is 'Forboda,' the shadow dragon's name. Lady Saberfang, please give him the anchor. Bria, a heal before he leaves?" He sighs. "I hope the anchor will lead you home as well, but if not, we'll do what we can for you. Mielikki guide your path and St. Cuthbert lead you to victory."

This song helped make this scene. Inspiration for the win. =)

[media]
[/media]
Glider takes the Soul Anchor swiftly gratefully. "Oh, I know it, but thank you dearly."

"I... I just met your big cat-friend. He says I woke up right after you left? We had a quick chat. He told me you were here and why... so I ran on over." He steps over to Luna. "Is this your friend?" he asks hurriedly.

"Yes."
Bria nods and hustles up to stand beside Luna. "Luna Callen and Sparkle."

"Hi," he tries to smile but fails. "Would you quickly join us, Miss Callen?" He indicates a spot before Bria and himself.

Taking a deep breath, she nods. Gathering up her courage, she gives Wolf's arm one last squeeze before rising from her seat and moving over to the indicated spot. With her head held high, she faces the strange man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glider nods to Luna and regards Sparkle with but momentary curiosity. "This forest is full of strange creatures, don't you think?" He glances up and behind him, his eyes searching the tall parts of the forest. "Huh." With a jerk of his thumb, he turns back to Luna and speaking quickly he says, "Hey, do you see that in the trees? Up there?"

"What?"

Bria and Sparkle both turn and look up. This causes Luna to look up too, raising her chin up but an inch.

It is all the opening he needs...

"KAI!"

Without warning, there is a tremendous blast of force so great, Luna's robes ripple violently from the impact. All of the dozens of raindrops near and upon the fire mage are blown sideways. In that instant, Luna is struck with such power and energy that her body locks up in shock. Then her robe settles down and all becomes "normal" again.

There, under her chin, is Glider's clenched fist. He has thrown a full-power punch at Luna's throat and stopped it - a hair's breadth from contact. His target? The Soul Anchor. The black cube in the fire mage's throat visibly vibrates as if loosened.

Just as suddenly, he slaps Luna's upper back, dislodging the Soul Anchor into his waiting hand, and for the briefest of moments Luna's life is in mortal danger as she suddenly finds herself with not one but two holes to breathe through! The gaping hole in her throat is a gateway to sure death, yet in that same moment comes a startled shriek of powerful words.

"Aste'allo verris!!"

Before Bria is consciously aware of it, the Ko healer has reflexively cast a healing spell. Bria's arm is outstretched in somatic display, her voice has called her magic forth, and as quickly as it was threatened, Luna's life is saved. Luna is breathing out of only one hole again, the wound in her throat is gone. Bria stands wide-eyed, stunned, and shaking. She blinks rapidly as her mind tries to figure out what just happened.

On Luna's shoulder, Sparkle appears in a similar state of shock.

Glider's downcast expression is full of apology and shame as he gives each woman a squeeze on the shoulder. "Please forgive me. I need this to return here and there was no time to explain."

He steps away from the young women as if to distance himself. With one thrumming Soul Anchor in hand and the one he took from Luna in his pocket, his calmness fades and a look of great determination rises in those eyes.

"Forboda..." he speaks through gritted teeth. Suddenly, a murky pool of purple and black swirling light some five feet in radius appears before him. There is little doubt as to where the enchanted portal leads. A promise forms on his angry lips. "I am going to make you rue the hour you decided to join up with Wee Jas..."

With one purposeful step forward, both man and portal vanish completely, leaving only the rain upon the ground and grass as your company.

When Glider disappears, Bria comes out of her daze. She sighs and looks both helpless and relieved. "And just like that... he's off again."

The peaceful Ko monk runs her finger down Luna's healed throat. "Um, something tells me you can speak and cast again..."

Grats. Both Luna's ability to speak and cast magical spells requiring a verbal component are finally restored. =)

Luna's hand instinctively goes up to her neck to feel for a injury, even when she knows that Bria has healed the damage.With a shuddering breath and tears forming in her eyes, she looks at each of the party. "Thank you all for being here for me when I needed you. I owe you a debt that I may never be able to repay. Bria, when you are feeling up to it, would you tell me more of the man that helped to restore me? I owe him, too." She gives Bria a hug before going to reach of the Wanderers and giving each a gentle embrace before returning to Wolf, whom she gives a passionate kiss. In a quiet voice ment for just him, she says, "I knew you would never let anything hurt me. I love you so much."

Oriorin instinctively reached for his sword hilt as the awakened mage/monk approached, but he said nothing. He watched wordlessly as events unfolded, almost lunging to the attack when the monk lashed out at Luna. Finally, as he opened the portal, Otiorin found himself moving to follow. It wasn't a desire to see the realm beyond the portal, nor was it a need to see what this stranger desired. Not even was it an urge to save the soul of the poor man left in the forest. Instead, it was a similar feeling to when he had confronted Koshianth. He wanted to fight and he wanted to fight the other dragon. Forboda. He felt his mouth and fingertips itch with the desire to grow fangs and claws, to rip and rend and claw dragon scales and dragon flesh. He felt the urge to taste dragon's blood and feel the departing beast's soul slip away. He took another step, then another, his eyes narrowed into slits as he judged the distance between himself and the man Bria had called 'Glider'. But, alas! the portal closed shut behind him almost the moment Glider had stepped through. He tutted in annoyance, then scowled at the darkness left by the closed portal.

Leonard Wolf - The Ranger

Shape: Human

Spell 1: Delay Poison

Spell 2: Entangle

Favored Terrain: No

Meat or Fish: Meat

Preferred Dice: Black or Red

True enough, Wolf would never let anything hurt Luna. That is why his reflexes were just about to loose him upon the ragged stranger, this so called Glider, when he struck out at her. It was impossible to look for reasons; the sudden heat of the moment blurred all need for explanations. If the stranger hadn't immediately elaborated, there would have been a fight - a short and pointless one. But it did not come to that. Instead, Luna was in better condition than before, and soon back where she belonged. In his arms. It was only then that the ranger's muscles found rest.

He put his arms around her as if afraid that otherwise she might go away, and kissed her back. "It's good to hear your voice again." He said, peering into her eyes, and then more quietly added: "And to hear you say that. I love you, too." His smile lasted until his eyes found a way over her shoulder and onto the spot where Glider's portal had been just a few moments ago. "That's that, then." he thoughtfully observed.

Bria returns Luna's hug as warmly as she is able, given the shock she just had. "Maybe inside, Luna? He... I think Glider set us up. Like most Ko, we know each other really well. He knew the moment I sensed your pain that I would heal it - it is what I do naturally. So he had me standing before you." She smiles in familiarity and admiration. "I can't think of a more efficient way to have done it and I've been thinking on it since you were bitten. And he goes and solves our problem in moments. That's Glider for you."

She looks to the spot where the portal to the Shadow World was. Then the astute young lady notices Otiorin's discomfort. Bria pauses in thought, but shakes her head. Then she steps up beside him and whispers, "What is it, Rin? What are you feeling?"

Sparkle shields herself from the rain with her wings and confesses. "By Charmsring's eyes, he scared the scales off of me! How did he know his little plan with us would work?"

Sparkle then turns her serpentine neck around and looks behind her. All of you hear the sounds of something big moving in the rain. When you look, there is Sabrefang, bent down on all fours, her strong forepaws rapidly ripping up great chunks of wet earth in an open patch of earth nearby the trail. Sparkle exclaims, "What are you doing, druidess?"

The motherly Felane does not pause. She simply glances at the corpse of what was once a man. "Digging Jocarl's grave..." she explains sadly. "Jocarl of Sooyin, son of Jothane and Greta. He was the last of his family line. He gave his heart to Mielikki and all that live in her forest long before I arrived in this part of the world. He was the first to welcome me when I came here. He so loved working with the earth; it is only right that he be laid to rest in it now."

Then a thought strikes her and she does give pause. She stares at Bria. "Ko-daughter, I pray your friend's quest is successful. I know not what happens to those taken to the Shadow World by this Forboda..." she shivers, "but the thought of his failure frightens me."

Bria replies, "It is Forboda who should be frightened, good mother. What Glider cannot dissuade or defeat openly, he finds victory in his opponents' weaknesses. Even those of dragons."

Sabrefang and Sparkle both pause and look at Bria incredulously, but the Ko monk is steadfast. Then Bria looks to Sabrefang's partially-dug grave and back to Otiorin. Her duty tugs at her and as always, she does not resist its call. Again she whispers to him, "Would you tell me what you're feeling while I help with his grave? I really want to know what is in your heart."

Otiorin dipped his head as he felt Bria's presence and heard her words. He nodded and walked with her over to the grave, dropping to his knees and digging his fingers into the sopping sod to haul up armfuls of the rich dark soil of Shandra's Green. He devoted his physical urge to fight into a battle with the elements, earth and air and water as he dragged the muddy ground out of the increasingly large hole.

"What do I feel? What is in my heart, you ask? Inadequacy. That is what I feel. Despair, that is what lives within my heart.", he replied, wiping a sheen of water from his brow, a mix of rain and sweat, "Every time we have fought, every time I have fought, it's only been by chance and fortunate happenstance that I have emerged alive, if not unharmed. I am not a good fighter, my swordsmanship and tactical knowledge are lacking. I'm not an adept mage, my magic is feeble compared to anyone else's. My only advantages are those afforded by my thievery. And alas, stealing a giant's coin purse is not going to defeat him when he comes at me in a rage."

He overbalanced as he reached into the deepening grave, saving himself only by falling backwards to end up sat on his rump in the rain.

"I fear that I cannot protect you sufficiently, I cannot defend you adequately. Wolf can protect Luna with ease, his skills allow him to keep his foes at bay and, should it turn against them, he has the means to spirit her away swiftly while slowing his pursuers. I have no such talents. I'm a dabbler, a jack-of-all-trades. I do many things but I don't do any one thing well."

He turned to her and looked her in the eye, "That was why I pushed you away before. I'm not worthy of you. You, and indeed all the others, perform you role with the practised ease of an expert. I'm nothing but a child playing games in comparison. It was a foolishness, me leaving my mother's home and taking to the roads like this. I wasn't prepared for this, I doubt I ever will be. I'm a liability to the other Wanderers and I think I shall find a means to get back to Waterwind once we reach Highwind. I'd rather be seen as a backwards child there than be responsible for the injury or death of one or more of my friends here."

"I hope you don't mind if I challenge a few of these thoughts, dear Rin; it's just that we Ko do this sort of thing for each other all of the time. You might say it's part of who we are." With three waves of her hands, her Ko battle robes become foresting clothes with leather pants, gloves, and vest. A wide hooded cloak covers her; what it is made of, Otiorin cannot tell, but the rain slips right off of it while apparently keeping Bria comfortable. The hood covers her face in such a way that it makes her pretty brown eyes even more pretty to look upon.

Bria reaches down and offers Otiorin a hand up.

(I am putting the rest of Bria's part of this conversation in spoiler for those other players who may or may not be interested in it.) =)

She reaches her hands in and digs up small tufts of earth in the manner of someone who is quite used to working with earth. "Let me start with this - I think you're tough; tougher than most rogues ought to be. Swift too. That Lightning Bolt that got you? Lucky shot. Really."

She nods and pokes Otiorin in the shoulder. "You've got courage. Yes, you. Did you see anyone else volunteering to go to the Shadow World? You may not have understood what you were asking of yourself, but you were still willing to do it for the sake of poor Jocarl over there. That courage is a core value that counts for a lot. Plus, unlike most Outsiders, you appear to understand the real value of a living soul..." She takes a moment from digging to look at her hands. "Oh, and my arms work again. Why? Because you and Bren came when I called. If you lacked that important quality, would I even be alive now? Oh! And don't get me started on how I'd be in Gerran's not-too-gentle hands if you hadn't rescued me from his dastardly bard! Alone..."

"Rin, I really think your weaknesses are... you suffer from some bad luck, lack of specialization, confidence, and overall adventuring experience. Hey! If you want to specialize in something, what's stopping you? The other half-elf I know, Kaerri (you know the one who helped rescue me from Forboda?), well she's specialized as a rogue and she's amazing! She helped teach me that rogues come in all kinds of flavors. What's stopping you from carving your own path to amazing, Mister Scoundrel? Don't pack it up and go home, Rin, not when you've already done so much good..."

"As for lack of confidence, well...
I believe in you. And I've been around lots of lots of adventurers that I just can't say that about."

"Adventuring experience? That only comes through
doing. You don't have to like it, but I think you're improving as a Wanderer with every situation. You have a lot to learn, that's all. Doing so will raise your confidence (and those neat ears of yours). Please remember - Bren and I are far more experienced in terms of adventuring life than our current skills show. We act like experts? That's only because we've been at this for so long. By comparison, you've just started. Believe me, people like us all have our share of goofs, failures, regrets, and wish-we-could-do-overs. We learn from every one of them and grow from the trying. That's just how it's done."

Bria muddies one finger. She dabs Otiorin on the nose with it with a grin. "If it helps you, dear Rin, believe in our opinion of you. If you were the liability you think you are, don't you think we'd be saying something? I know Bren would. Look at it this way - who has Powerpaw pulled aside to have his toothy one-on-one chats with? Luna. Then Wolf." She shakes her head. "I don't think our Fuzzy Goof has such doubts about you. Go ask him when you next see him? Have one of those guy-chats?"

"Oh, and as for protecting myself,
really now. Tactically speaking, keeping me up is everyone's responsibility (just ask Bren; he knows how this works). When we Wanderers start getting good as a team, you'll see. We were really good when we ambushed those Minotaurs."

"Finally... when it comes to being romantically worthy of me... If you aren't comfortable being aflame with me, O.K. I'll extinguish my fire for you. Just let it be for the right reasons. Furthermore..."
Bria pauses a moment as if trying to find the right words, then says, "No one decides who is worthy of me except me." She leans over and kisses Otiorin on the cheek. "I can have love for you as much as I want to. That's my choice. There is not a thing anyone can do about it. So, please just take my word for it when I say you're worth loving, Rin?"

Bria softly gasps and she takes on a look of concern. Her voice drops a little lower. "Uh oh... I suddenly have this strange feeling I'll be telling Glider something similar, next we meet. That's not good..."

As you digest this, you feel large eyes upon you. Looking over, you notice Sabrefang up to her elbows and whiskers in mud regarding the two of you. "Excuse me, but I have something to add if may? Otiorin, you are cunning like a cat. My boy tells me that he ruined a plan of yours when I first met you in the cage? My son tells me you hurriedly created some ruse on the fly to fool Gerran? That takes wits and bravery." The big, furry Felane smiles down on Otiorin. "Friend-of-my-son, I owe my very freedom to you. If nothing else, please accept this druidess's first-hand faith in you for that." With that, she continues digging.

Luna looks over at Otiorin. "My friend, I feel that you are short changing yourself. You possess a strength of will that most do not have, along with my respect, and that is not a thing that is easily earned. While I was mute and unable to defend myself with my powers, I knew that I could depend on all of my friends here for my safety. My life could have been in your hands, and I trusted each and everyone of you. I also see a love growing between you and Bria, and I pray that you do not carelessly throw it aside. One thing that I learned in my time after my crippling wound is that love is a thing that is too precious to squander, and I plan on letting my relationship with Wolf go where it may. Don't waste your chance at happiness."

Brendoran, human fighter/ranger

Standard AC: 27

Fort save: +11

Ref save: +7

Will save: +4

Current action points: 5

Current HP: 78/78

Status effects: none

Powerpaw's tower shield +1

(-2 to attack rolls)

Glider's unconventional Soul Anchor-removal tactics send Bren automatically into a fighting stance, and very nearly in between Glider and Luna, but he sees at the last instant that she isn't truly hurt - until, of course, she is, and Bria instantly fixes it. He stares at Glider in half-offended astonishment, but the man's brief explanation, such as it is, is enough to stand him down from combat stance (at least until and unless there is some opportunity in the future for extensive discussion!).

Sherwood said:
I owe you a debt that I may never be able to repay.
Bren shakes his head wryly. "A wise man once said, 'There is no owing between friends.' We haven't known each other long, but we are fellows, at the very least, and I hope we are friends as well; certainly I would like to be." He returns Luna's hug sincerely. "Besides, adventuring is such an...interesting...career path; I'm sure there will be ample opportunity for you to help me sooner or later." He smiles and pats her shoulder.
Dannigan said:
The motherly Felane does not pause. She simply glances at the corpse of what was once a man. "Digging Jocarl's grave..." she explains sadly. "Jocarl of Sooyin, son of Jothane and Greta. He was the last of his family line. He gave his heart to Mielikki and all that live in her forest long before I arrived in this part of the world. He was the first to welcome me when I came here. He so loved working with the earth; it is only right that he be laid to rest in it now."
Bren shakes his head in regret for the loss of such a man and quietly joins Saberfang and the others in her digging. He listens intently to Bria and Otiorin's conversation, but as it deals with so personal an issue, he leaves it to the sweet healer-monk until others start speaking up. Then he adds his own two coppers, as it were. "They're quite right, Otiorin. Skill in battle is only one trait among all the many that a person have, and not the most important by far. You have something far more worthwhile - you are trustworthy. When it was you and me, alone against all the minions of Wee Jas, I knew we were in trouble, but I knew also that I could rely on you, and that made all the difference. Yours is a good heart, and true, and there is nothing I'd like better in those I fight beside."
He shakes his head ruefully. "We are none of us perfect. Bria and I have died through mistakes, either ours or those made by our fellows - I've actually died twice, and I'd really prefer not to do it again for a while. The worst was the second, because half my party was killed also (the rest survived only through sheer luck), and all through overconfidence and unpreparedness. That, too, I'd like to avoid, and that is why I may seem overcautious at times."

He grins. "As you see, my tactical knowledge has been quite painfully earned over my adventuring career! Most of it is simply knowing the strengths of my allies and the weaknesses of my enemies, and using the former as best I can to exploit the latter. That's one reason I'd like us all to engage in more combat training together, so that we can know each other's styles better and improve our teamwork."

As the digging progresses beyond the reach of human-size arms, he starts using Powerpaw's shield as a sort of shovel, mentally promising to clean it properly before returning it to its owner.

"As for leaving the group: I don't think that's at all necessary, or even advisable. As Bria says, you are still learning what you're capable of, and it's really too soon to just give up. I never marked you for a quitter. There are rogues enough in Highwind, if you want career advice - one in particular I can recommend as a sly, sneaky man who confounds even his fellow rogues quite regularly - but truly, it seems to me the hallmark of a rogue is to do things your way, and make it work. Mind, that's coming from a fighter-type, but there it is."

Leonard Wolf - The Ranger

Shape: Human

Spell 1: Delay Poison

Spell 2: Entangle

Favored Terrain: No

Meat or Fish: Meat

Preferred Dice: Black or Red

As soon as Luna lets him, Wolf approaches the spot where the Felane is digging up a cold grave. "Melshaef." he addresses her with purpose in his eyes. "I've been waiting for a chance to speak with you. Mother Leaf, Earthhome. In Highwind." Each word is edged with meaning. "That's where your tree will be, according to one Little Cub."

Having said that, he waits patiently for a reaction.

Otiorin listened quietly as each of his fellow adventurers spoke to him, nodding as they made their points.

"You've given me much to think about. I'll need to reflect on this and make my own decision. I am still young, prone to errors, but they are still errors and ones that may kill or severely injure us all. I cannot pass off that possibility. Today, I felt Death's hand but inches from my shoulder, her cold grasp all but ready to descend. You speak of dying and then being brought back, but if we are all slain there would be none left to seek out a means of resurrection. I cannot risk that."

The Half-elf rose from the sodden ground and stepped back from the edge of the grave which, he suddenly felt, was yawning open to receive him and not the poor soul resting against a ravaged tree nearby.

Luna sighs. "I nearly killed us all when we went to free the woodland fairies from the wizard from my haste and acting in a rash manner. We are human (or half elf), and therefore we are prone to make mistakes. How you learn and grow from your mistakes is the true measure of your character. Don't let this moment be the only thing to define who you are."

Travel time to Highwind: On day 5 of 14.

Travel time to Melshaef's Tree: On day 3 of 3.

Saturday, September 20th, 1118. Time: 12:15 p.m.

Weather: This.

[media]
[/media]

The grave complete, Sabrefang the druidess is reaching for Jocarl's empty shell when Wolf shares his information with her.
The news causes her to stop what she is doing. She stares at Wolf like a woman bewitched. Then with raised claws, Sabrefang looks up into the rainy heavens and proclaims, "They yet live! Mielikki's mercy is great!" She bounds over to Wolf and places her great paws upon his hand. "Wolf, You have just erased my largest worries; my tree could be in no better hands than Mother Leaf's, the highest of Mielikki's people in Highwind!"

She then presses her cheek against his in a feline show of affection. "Let me complete my duty here. After we are warm and inside the wagon, I want to know everything you and Pecker are willing to share with me!"

Sparkle hears this and Bria too. They share looks of piqued interest. Pyri, Sparkle sends to Luna alone, he speaks of a chapter in our story only he has experienced. What happened while he was away? Who is this Little Cub?

Then Sabrefang returns to Jocarl's corpse. "Oh, Jocarl! Were that you were alive to hear! Cubblebubbles is taking my tree to Highwind and evil will not touch it there!"

Sparkle and Bria both raise an eyebrow. Cubblebubbles? sends Sparkle to Luna.

Carefully, Sabrefang places the sorry corpse that was once a fine man into the grave. She folds his hands across his chest. Then she manipulates one of his hands into a special sign only Wolf and Bren have seen.

Among the followers of the Goddess of the Forest, there is a one-handed sign that, done properly, designates the signer as a true and loyal follower of Mielikki. Also, between Mielikkians, displaying this sign is a way of bolstering each other's spirits and the reminding of duty to all who call the forest home.

First, one forms one's right hand into a gently-closed fist. Raise the index finger (as if indicating the number one). Place that hand over one's heart so that the extended finger points at the left shoulder. Hold this sign firmly against one's chest.

This is the sacred symbol of the unicorn - the extended finger is her magical horn.

Sabrefang then fills his grave up with paw after paw of wet earth. She accepts any help provided by her fellow Wanderers. Bria assists. Once the grave is filled, she takes twigs and stones and decorates the grave as beautifully as she can given the rain. When she is finished, the grave is a celebration of twigs and tokens, symbols of sunshine and cheer, all dominated by one grand decoration - the face of the unicorn.

The motherly Felane delivers a eulogy both in Common and in the Sylvan tongue, making it known to all that Jocarl of Sooyin, son of Jothane and Greta, was a Forest Friend to all. "And into the forest he returns," prays she, "nurturing Shandra's Evergreen with his very flesh and bones. Remember him, Forest Mother. Do not let him suffer forever in the Shadow World, lost and lightless. Help him return to you..."

No sooner are the words out of her mouth when a brilliant burst of earth-shaking energy takes place. Suddenly, there in the pure evergreen of the forest upon the browns and grays of the muddy trail comes something magical. A shadowy circle of purple and ebony some five feet in radius shimmers and appears but twenty feet away from your position.

Violently, a figure appears to be spat out of the portal and onto the trail. He is hurled head-over-heels at a height three times that of his own. He lands, not in a mass of broken limbs as most people should, but smoothly into a roll which becomes a fighting stance as he grimly faces the dark gate to the beyond.

It is Glider and he looks furious. A great and terrible voice booms out from the portal. It is dark, inhuman, and filled with cruel notes. An argument is in progress...

"-Jas! I should have never taken in with you! And you, mortal! How dare you steal my rightfully-stolen light?!"

Glider steps toward the portal aggressively. "These are people's souls you're stealing, damn you! You can't just use them for light!"

"What?! My need is greater than theirs! They are but dust in time - I am Forboda! I am more powerful! More deserving!"

"The hell you are!
These souls are going to where they belong! You want light? Go buy some damn candles like everybody else!"

"Candles?!"
Forboda's shriek is incredulous. "You steal my happiness! Then you fly to where I dare not chase! Oh, the terrors you have caused me!!"

Glider rolls his eyes in utter disbelief. He. Has had. Enough. He shouts with finality back down into the portal in a reply rich with sarcasm. "Oh, I hope I can find a way to live with the guilt!!"

With a heavy stomp upon the earth, a muttered word, and a clenching of one fist, the portal disappears and with it the raging, screaming tantrum of a dragon from another realm.

There in the rain, Glider storms about with the fury of a raging lion. He opens one hand and examines its contents. There upon his steady hand radiate nearly a dozen gem-like objects. Each of them shines like miniature suns. They slowly rise and float about, but the ragged, bearded monk carefully clasps his hand down again as if to keep them from drifting away.

He looks up, sees all of you, and he cannot contain himself. He waves a hand back toward where the portal was and addresses Bria. "Just who in the hell does he think he is?! These are people's very spirits, for Heaven's sake!"

Bria sees all this and all she can do is shake her pretty head and smile in relief and admiration. She appears to be experiencing some disbelief of her own, but it is of a familiar sort, and one that has long been to her liking.

Luna blinks a few times at the sight unfolding before her, wondering if they were about to have to face off against Forboda or run like hell. Relief foods over her when the portal closes, and she now looks over Glider. Stepping forward, age offers up a deep bow. "Good sir, you vanished before I had the chance to thank you for getting me free from the effects of that horrible thing in my throat. Please, come inside our wagon and let us offer you a place to dry off and a good warm meal." She smiles in genuine kindness and holds her open hand out to the newcomer.

Brendoran, human fighter/ranger

Standard AC: 27

Fort save: +11

Ref save: +7

Will save: +4

Current action points: 5

Current HP: 78/78

Status effects: none

Powerpaw's tower shield +1

(-2 to attack rolls)

Despite the unknown danger presented by the portal's opening, Bren cannot help a smile at the crack about candles. His smile widens when Luna beats him to it and offers dryness, warmth, and food. "Yes, please do join us. Our work here seems to be done, as yours is. And well done, friend!" He bows; even rain-soaked as he is, he does so with the grace of one trained in Summerset's noble houses, but his sincerity cannot be doubted. "Let us all return to the wagon. We seem to have several stories to share on our way north." He eyes Wolf meaningfully, then turns to gesture back towards the road where Stewart and the wagon are waiting.

As Luna shares her words, a change comes over Glider. His anger seems to fade. For a long moment, the shaggy, black-haired monk stares at Luna's outstretched hand and back at Luna's face. His mouth and beard droop. His blue eyes are filled with sadness. He looks as if he does not know what to say.

"Glider," Bria steps forward and touches his arm. "It's O.K."

"Bria-honey, I..." His voice becomes soft and sensitive, yet still quite manly. Glider takes a deep breath and tries again, this time from a different direction. "Luna Callen, isn't it? I'm sorry. They... shouldn't have done that to you. The nightly nightmares should stop. The visions of the warg's teeth around your neck should cease. If they don't, have a Dispel Magic preferably from a divine source cast upon you when you have no magic upon your person at all. That'll do it."

He sighs. "I..." Then his eyes fall away from Luna's and Bren's. "Forgive me. I am... not myself."

Bria looks to Glider with worry in her eyes. "It just happened less than an hour ago. Luna hasn't slept since."

"Oh, then she should be fine."

He steps away from Bria and strides over to Sabrefang. "You..." he looks up at her. "You're a druidess of Mielikki, aren't you?" Sabrefang quietly nods in anticipation. "I believe one word from you and these souls reside forever with Mielikki?" He carefully takes her paw, places the glowing orbs there, and protectively closes her fingers over them. "They're yours." Sabrefang begins to reply to thank him, but he turns and walks down the trail as if alone, leaving the motherly Felane utterly befuddled.

His head hangs low. "Send them home..."

Bria runs up beside him. "Glider, where are you going?"

"I don't deserve to be among you."

"What are you talking about? Of course, you do!"

His teeth and fists clench. "Bria-honey, you don't know what I've done! I'm a... I'm a murderer! I've killed... innocent people! You can't forgive me! I'm not worthy of you. Any of you."

Bria looks at him incredulously. "You're the second guy in my life who thinks he knows who's worthy of me or not! Come now... You haven't killed anyone innocent, Glider! I know you!"

"Not anymore, Bria-honey. I just can't take this anymore... Just let me fall..."

"Never!"

"I'm no good anymore."

"But you don't know the whole story--"

His voice rises as he stops there in the trail. He turns to her, his muscled chest heaving with deep emotion. "There's nothing to know! Don't you understand? I'm not good anymore! I'm beyond redemption! Dammit! I'm..."

"No, Glider!"

"I am no longer Ko!!"

Glider's shout echoes through the woods like the final boom of a thundercloud. He turns and walks on. Bria pauses, her hands across her heart. She looks to each of you, her expression lost and scared and thinking hurriedly. Her face seems to shout to you, "HELP! We have got to do something!"

Once again, the Wanderers get the strong feeling that time is not on your side. With each step that Glider takes away, he appears to be walking away from something so dear, so good, so very necessary...

You see a man slowly walking away from hope.

Luna's expression turns from a open and friendly smile to confusion and then to despair as Glider and Bria argue. Something has to be done. But what? Her face hardens as Glider starts to walk off. Stomping her foot, the tiny fire mage does something she rarely does; she curses. "By Boccobs giant, bright red harry ass! Get over here RIGHT NOW!" Luna takes a deep breath as everyone stares over at her. "We are going to talk with you like a bunch of civilized people, or I will get very cross with you, sir!"

Glider does not even pause nor turn about. Luna hears him reply, "Best if you forget about me..."

Otiorin felt the approach of Forboda before the beast spoke like a drumbeat against his skin. A shudder passed through his body and his muscles tensed. As the man, Glider, returned through the portal, again the Half-elf's hand went to his sword belt while he stood between the portal and Bria. He remained there until the portal closed, closely listening to the dragon's words. So needy, so pathetic. Banished beyond the mortal plane, this terrific beast was relegated to that dark and shadowy realm. Forever envious of the light of life and forever denied it. He watched as the portal closed and relaxed, but he continued to watch as the man known as Glider cast himself away from Bren and Bria. Otiorin's jaw clenched as he declared himself no longer of the Ko and his eyes hardened as he watched the man stalk away from Luna's impassioned cry.

"Let him go, Luna.", Otiorin responded, his voice low but powerful, "He's right. He's not deserving to carry the name Ko. A Ko would accept that they had done wrong, borne the shame as a lodestone about their necks, but they would not willfully and petulantly cast themselves away from their brethren. A true Ko would atone for his sins by extolling the greatest of Ko virtues, working off the debt of their crimes with their own sweat, blood and tears. A true Ko would do that while still bearing the name Ko, because true Ko do not give up. Bria is true Ko. Even with her arms horribly broken, her voice ruthlessly stifled and her body viciously abused, she still bore her virtues nobly, she still fought as only the Ko do. This man is right, he isn't Ko. He probably never was."

At Otiorin's words do Glider's naked feet pause. His brow furrows in concentration, but despite Otiorin's choice of words, there is no anger or feeling of retort in Glider's own.

"No... you're wrong there. I was Ko once. I was born Ko. I have trained Ko. Even Bria whom I am so proud of." There is a hint of a handsome smile. "But... after I woke up, I murdered innocent people. I... helped the very warg who hurt your Miss Callen. I joined the Wee Jas. And worst of all, I have no idea why."

He turns to Otiorin with a great cloud of doubt about him. "Regardless of the good that I have done all my life, I am evil now. Atonement isn't possible." He turns back toward the trail. "Best you forget me before I hurt you too. I... don't want that."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back