• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Seven: Melshaef's Tree and the Crown of Chains

Status
Not open for further replies.
As has been the case in my past few in-game posts, this one is a mammoth of action! Might want to grab a snack and a drink while you read this post on the Ambush on the Road of Kings...

Oh. And let me know if your jaw drops like mine did...

Travel time to Highwind: On day 5 of 14.

Travel time to Melshaef's Tree: On day 3 of 3.

Saturday, September 20th, 1118. Time: 11:00 a.m.

Weather: Steadily raining, the sky is thick with gray clouds. Chilly air, especially for the morning.

• Cub's eyes flash with purpose as she half-speaks, half-snarls to Wolf. "Grrrrawrr! Listen up! The Wee Jas are monks an' arcanists both! They've got minds like devils an' skills to boot! They hate Ko monks viciously, but they really hate Saint Cuthbert's people." Cub holds out her finger. Tickleberry sails up and lands upon it. "Ren," she bares her teeth, "they've been usin' Soul Anchors on us Mielikkians so ya can't go wherever yer supposed ta go when ya die. In Silvanus's name, don't let them take ya prisoner..."

Then an even worse thought strikes the young ranger. "Damn... if that super-warg yer after finds an' gets inta cahoots with them, you, Melshaef, and yers are in for a bad ride..."

As the wolves and faeries move, Tickleberry whistles lightly. Several faeries fly out of Wolf's fur and join the pack. Cub reaches for a dagger in its sheath on her lower back. When she draws it, the small blade erupts forth into a fantastic two-handed double-edged sword of pure black steel. With well-practiced horizontal swings, she uses to cut another swath through the bushes large enough for the pack. Then she sheathes it and it becomes a dagger again. Cub opens the way, indicating with her eyes that you should go first.

"Tell Melshaef that if I don't catch her on the Road of Kings, then Chompy an' I'll deliver her tree ta Mother Leaf in Earthhome in Highwind! Got it, Ren?"

As you part ways with the red-clad ranger and her ever-cautious and huge wolf, Cub suddenly turns and examines Wolf from behind.

"Yep!" she claims. "You've gotta be a ranger. In all'a Sharseya, only us rangers have nice butts like that!" She slaps her own leather-covered backside with pride and rides off with Chomper as Tickleberry quietly guides the pack away and into the ever-falling rain.

• [/media]
    [media]

[/media]
    =)

The quiet warrior appears absolutely fearless of Powerpaw, but he does not speak or goad - he only acts... Back when Bren was of incredible experience (O.K. - during all three times Bren was a 14th level character!), he saw incredible adventurers fight like this, but not since.

"IIINN DAAAAA FA-UUHHH!!"

Powerpaw does his very best. It is not enough. In a destructive flurry of perfect form including three full-power sidekicks, two smashing uppercuts, and a rear-leg jumping front kick that would have smashed solid steel, the man with the crystal-blue eyes gets through Powerpaw's guard and knocks the big cat out in six seconds...

As Powerpaw's back strikes the earth with a crash, the Monk/Mages of Wee Jas raise their arms in victory. They cheer and taunt, cackle and cajole the Wanderers mercilessly, all save for the hooded man with the mask and crystal blue eyes. He relaxes and looks quietly at the smoking pile of ash that was the leader of the team.

Bria weakly turns her head. Seeing what has happened, she lets out a muffled shriek from her gag. She is shaking her head, "No, no, no!" Not that the Wee Jas have noticed. They are too busy shouting insults at you and the unconscious Powerpaw.

Then another of their smiling number (Monk/Mage Red) shouts out excitedly, "Your Highness!" He repeatedly stabs a finger at Bren.

"Kill Sarabina!"

"Kill!" responds the warrior in a strong tone. He strides purposefully at Bren with fists clenched, chin low, and eyes filled with horrible resolve.

It is Bren's turn.

Leonard Wolf - The Ranger

Shape: Wolf

Wolf EXP: ~3 h

Spell 1: Delay Poison

Spell 2: Entangle

Favored Terrain: Yes

Meat or Fish: Meat

Preferred Dice: Black or Red

"Mother Leaf, Earthhome. Highwind." Wolf repeats with an understanding nod. "Good luck to all of us."

The shapeshifted ranger sprints as fast as possible for the Road of Kings, the edge of which he intends to follow south until he comes upon either the Wee Jas ambush or the wagons - whichever comes first. Hoping it's the monks, he will do his best to remain hidden behind the treeline as he travels alongside the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brendoran, human fighter/ranger

• Current AC: 26

Fort save: +11

Ref save: +7

Will save: +4

Current action points: 5

Current HP: 45/78

Status effects: Expertise

Some fights are easy; some are challenging. Some are predictable; some are anything but. Bren has seen his share of all of them in his time. However, if Bren has ever had a fight that presented him with this many surprises (both good and bad), he can't recall it. Admittedly, those surprises are taking up practically all of his attention just now...

The flash of movement from the warg, for example. He winces as the evil beast pounces on Luna with fiendish precision, and wishes there was something he could do to help. He even starts to plan something, but all plans are dashed like a gust of wind hitting a house of cards when Powerpaw is so unexpectedly and so very quickly brought to the ground. Sorry, Luna, I can't get to you just yet...try to hang on!

And then there's his own predicament, faced with not only the three remaining original Monk/Mages but with the newly-arrived, newly-focused-on-him mysterious monk. I hope I can hang on long enough to turn this around - longer than poor Powerpaw!

A slight smile flickers across his face when Monk/Mage Red casts his useless spell - thank you, Daughters of Summertime! - but his expression quickly turns somber once more as he tries to come up with some sort of plan, any sort of plan, that will help get things going in his party's favor once more. Damn, I wish Wolf hadn't just run off like that. We could really use him here.

With narrowing options, he shifts into a defensive stance, then darts between Monk/Mages Red and Orange, pausing to slam his axe into Orange with the intent of sending him into the mud just as he had the leader. With luck, all the other foes would follow him westward and leave Otiorin free to act as he chose; hopefully that choice will be a good one. And why he didn't step back before using the salve... By St. Cuthbert's Mace, if we survive this I'm going to insist on a group tactics session.

• Bren moves swiftly for a fellow with his size and gear, but it is his skill that causes the Wee Jas the most grief. One throws a devious roundhouse kick at Bren's groin while the other (in a different fighting stance) uses a palm strike to Bren's face. Neither reach their mark.

While Bren's powerful axe-stroke wounds his Wee Jas opponent even further, the Monk/Mage keeps his feet by taking the blow in a low stance.

When the Dire Wolf of Dalsus trips and leaps upon Luna, Sparkle gasps and flies down upon the dangerous canine. But it is not her tiny claws or teeny teeth that she brings to the fore; in an act of total desperation and with no other recourse coming to her mind, Sparkle the pseudo-dragon strikes with the weapon she is loathe to use most - her poison tail-stinger...

Pyri!!

Her tail strikes home... but the Dire Wolf's savage system fails to fall prey to Sparkle's poison.

It is now Luna's turn.

Luna lets out a startled yelp as the dire wolf grabs her. "Let me go you stupid-head!" Struggling to get free, the mage turns to her only weapon that she can use: Her spells. I pray to Boccob, let this work! "Magic Missile!"

0 - Detect Magic, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Message

1 - Enlarge Person, Shield x2, Mage Armor, Unseen Servant

2 - Mirror Image, Cat's Grace, Scorching Ray

3 - Displacement, Fireball, Lightning Bolt

4 - Extended Haste, Ball Lightning

Force Missile x8

Mage Armor in effect

AC 22

Hit Points: 39

Lets give this a try and hope I roll well to get the spell off.

EDIT: I rolled a natural 18, but are there any bonuses to my roll to see if the spell goes off? I am going to hope that the spell worked, and will add a damage roll to this post. Disregard if it doesn't work.

[dice]17097[/dice]

[dice]17098[/dice]

Ambush at the Road of Kings

Only casters with incredible abilities to concentrate might get a spell off while under the thrashing of a 400-pound warg. Luna proves that she is among them. Her Force Missile spell-like ability flares to life and blasts the Dire Wolf of Dalsus unerringly in the chest! "Arrrgh, you little bitch! Good to see you have some fight in you! Now it is my turn to bite!"

As the warg reaches to do just that, a multitude of sounds ring through Shandra's Evergreen coming south from the Road of Kings! So great is the ruckus that it gets everyone's attention in the ambush (no Perception roll required)!

Over the din of battle and the calamity of pouring rain comes a massive thunderclap and with it, the oncoming and rising sound of hooves of many huge horses! The Road of Kings begins to tremble beneath your feet as you hear the clear blare of a single ringing trumpet sounding a Highwindian cavalry charge! There, racing up from the south, the mighty roaring of many voices can be heard, but only the Wanderers recognize them...

At the tops of their lungs, there is Sabrefang's wild and catty yowling and snarling, the crazed howling and barking of a trio of gnashing canine-like creatures, the heartfelt and hysterical battle cries of Bonny and Whittle Meadowsweet, the wild neighing of the charging horse, but topping them all, the magnificent roaring of Bronze the Blacksmith, the loudest and most fearsome of the bunch (yes, @killfire, this is me totally taking a rare moment to get your character in on this - post as you will)! Between them all, they are making such a grand and spirited uproar as to perhaps make the gods above smile (or at the very least, look down for a moment to ask, "Just who in the hell is making all that racket?" =) ).

[media]
[/media]
Brendoran = John Wayne!

Otiorin = Brave fellow firing at the bad guys with John Wayne!

Luna = Frustrated-looking lady in the wagon who probably isn't allowed a gun (Just Kidding!!)... Life ain't fair! =)

Cavalry = Everyone on the Adventurers' Wagon!

Mood music!! Ha ha!

[media]

[/media]
The entire team of the Adventurers' Wagon is on its way to save the day (or get massacred - we'll see - either way, their intentions have been made certain to me and they are nothing but the best)! It is clear to all that they will arrive in but a few short combat rounds (three at the most). Upon hearing this obvious charge of fresh and unknown enemy reinforcements, the remaining Monk/Mages of Wee Jas look at each other in surprise, all save the blue-eyed warrior who in no way acknowledges any of this as he stalks after Bren!

The Dire Wolf of Dalsus snarls, "What did I tell you? If you had ended this quickly instead of gloating..." but the Wee Jas ignore him and share looks that can only described as saying "Oh Shit!". They quickly nod once to each other and ready themselves to make for the cover of the forest. They know they cannot stand against yet another adventuring party upon them (if they only knew what was really coming, right?).

As they do, their new leader points again at Bren. "Your Highness! Kill Sarabina then rendezvous with us!"

The warrior replies, "Kill!" and continues his advance. Behind him, Bria's desperate struggle to move renews.

"What did you do that for?" says one of his fellows.

"Sarabina is too dangerous to live! This might be our best chance!"

"Oh!"

But before they get to take their action in Round 5, Otiorin gets to take his... =)

HP:7

Initiative: 19

Spells per day/remaining:3/4

Spells available: all

Active affects: Ring of Mind Shielding, Ring of Force Shield

Otiorin was ever a creature of habit. And when an opportunity to snatch a pretty bauble up presented, regardless of the circumstances, it was habit for Otiorin to grasp it. Even if said situation was in the direst circumstances, surrounded by blood-crazed monks of an evil god, a wolf that made the pyrohydra seem tame and the toppled body of perhaps the most intimidating of his companions felled in the blink of an eye. Any rational mind would have said 'Rebuke the pretty bauble', but Otiorin's mind, being that of a creature of habit, said 'Disregard hazard, acquire bauble".

His free hand snapped out, moving with the speed of an aquatic predator seizing upon a hapless fish. He felt the smooth object in his hand and a smile split his lips.

"How worthless you pathetic creatures are. When you outnumbered us two to one, you could not best us. But now that the odds go against you, you show your craven natures and flee like chickens before the fox. Is this the best Wee Jas has to offer?"

He heard Luna's cry of shock and saw that the monstrous wolf had borne her down and was in the process of savaging her. A burst of magical energy lanced from her hand and the wolf took it full-on but was undeterred. The Half-elf swore under his breath, their reinforcements were getting picked off one by one and there was little he could do to stop it. He bared his fangs at the monk who had cast at him and his lips curled around an elven imprecation, even as he advanced on his foe he was about to cast his Daze spell, when he felt he heard a voice calling to him. It seemed like a familiar voice, although he could not imagine ever having heard or known the speaker. But, as he pondered it, he realised he was already casting a spell, one that he'd not cast before, taught to him by the strange Mage the Wanderers had met. The words wound out in ancient Elven, not a spell of death and destruction, but one of calling. As he moved toward the monk looming over Bria, he saw a shimmer of light appear behind the lightning-throwing monk.

Taking five-foot move towards MM Orange, casting Summon Monster I at the MM Orange

(This should be added to my above post - I forgot! Cap'n, feel free to alter your action if you decide to).

During the messy, crazy, rainy chaos of the battle, Bria manages to rise to her feet. Her arms hang uselessly by her sides, the gag over her mouth seems to hamper her breathing, but with titanic effort, she barely makes it into her fighting stance (sans guard). Her expression is full of great pain... but her eyes rest longest on the warrior that dropped Powerpaw. As he advances on Bren... Bria begins to stumble toward him with all of the speed she can muster (which ain't much!).

• Despite the fury of the booming thunderstorm that shows no sign of slowing as it drenches the forest all around, Wolf makes it without further encounter to the edge of the forest. The muddy Road of Kings lies before him, beckoning in its wide openness.

Behind and far out of sight, there comes a tremendous bellow of pain and surprise from something whose great size is only surpassed by his ugliness. Then follows a torrent of angry cursing and stomping sounds. These sounds are slowly swallowed by the storm as Wolf's wet paws make contact with the highway.

Then Wolf is running, a blur of soaked fur and swift legs as he races southward toward where he last saw the Wanderers.

Standard AC: 23

Status effects: broken shield

Bren grins mockingly when Monk/Mage Orange's little snake problem reveals itself. "Wimp." He then turns his full attention to the in-leaping Purple...

Like him, Bren freezes for just a moment when Bria suddenly, literally, throws herself into the fray, but at her words he looks into his foe's eyes intently. What - or who - is it that she sees there? His own blue-gray eyes widen in surprise when the other warrior asks, "Killane?" Bren's expression softens as he realizes this must be one of the true monks, one of the Ko like Bria, somehow turned by the evil magics of Wee Jas.

"No," he replies gently, "Killane's son." He holds the warrior's gaze through that moment of terrible internal struggle, and is almost unsurprised when he sees what the other is offering. He hardly needs Bria's encouragement, though he nods to her without looking away, swiftly switching his axe to his shield hand. Twisting his hips and pushing off with his rear leg to put all his weight behind the blow, he launches his right hand forward at the warrior's deliberately vulnerable chin, in a full-power palm strike. Just as his father had taught him.

Killane Sarabina, Bren's father, studied for some time with the Ko monks before being called back to Summerset to take his place as head of the Sarabina family. (He has made at least one trip to the Ko Monastery since, as well.) It is from him that Bren learned the Improved Unarmed Strike feat.

• The rain pours and the Road of Kings is a brown blur surrounded by forest green. The only sounds are the loud shower coming down on all things, the heavy breathing of Wolf's lungs, and the thrumming of his heartbeat in his ears as he flies on...

As the Dire Wolf bounds off, Luna lies down in the mud and sobs. The pain in her throat and in the slash across her face is blinding. After a few moments, the mage realizes that the Wolf is not about to continue to tear into her, and she struggles up onto her arm while her other hand goes to her throat and face to see just how bad the damage is. Blood. Lots of it. I need to stop the bleeding, and check out the rest of the party. Everyone seems to be hurt, I wonder how bad it all is?

Looking up at the worried face of Sparkle as she lands in front of her, Luna tries to reassure her friend, but nothing but a rough croak comes out. Startled, she tries again, and once more, all that comes out is a gurgle. Oh, Gods! My voice! What did that filthy thing do to me? A moment of panic starts to hit. What if it is . . . permanent? What will I do then? Luna sends her thoughts to Sparkle. Dear one, I'm hurt, but I'll live. I'm just unable to speak; hopefully its just temporary. What about the others?

Luna pulls a cloth from her bag of holding and presses it against the cuts on her face to stop the blood flow, and she slowly gets to her feet to look around. Powerpaw is down, Bria is badly hurt, Otiorin is hurt, Bren is hurt, where is Wolf? What happened here?

As Luna rises to her feet, she sees the fear on Sparkle's face as the old dragoness hides none of her worries from her familiar. In fact, she shares what she knows all too willingly...

Luna... there is... something on your throat. A... sigil of some kind? There is too much blood on it; I cannot get a good look at it...

Luna pulls a small mirror out of her bag, and after wiping away as much of the blood as she can, tries to get a look a the mark on her throat.

[dice]17339[/dice]

[dice]17340[/dice]

Wiping away the blood ruins the cloth Luna took from her pack, but it serves its purpose - there in Luna's neck is a familiar black sigil bearing the mark of a pentagram as if it had been drawn by something that used claws instead of fingers... A deathly chill accompanies this discovery but from what source neither wizardess nor dragon can say...

Great Boccob! What has that thing done to me?! Tears begin to well up in her eyes as she stares in horror at the mark on her neck. No! What am I going to do if this is meant to keep me from speaking? How can I still work my magic? The thought of being anything besides a mage has never crossed her mind, but now there is the very real chance that her career choice will be changed against her will. Pyri, let us see to the others. They are all hurt; perhaps I can help them even in my condition.

Doing her best to bind her still bleeding face while still being able to see, Luna makes her way over to the other Wanderers.

Otiorin's body felt heavy. His pain, momentarily reduced by Bren's balm, had returned in full force. Everything hurt, including several places he'd not even realised he could feel pain from. He really wanted to drop the heavy blade that dangled from his right hand, but some vestige of martial Elven pride stayed his hand and forced his screaming muscles to lever the weapon back into the scabbard. He trudged across the muddy road, slick with near-liquid mud and spilt blood. He stumbled a couple of times, but never enough to overbalance or fall. Only once he'd reached Bria and the man whom she had distracted long enough for Bren to put down, did he allow himself to slump to the ground. Before him, carved through the fabric of her robes he could see her knife wound, marring the pristine white skin beneath. His pain diminished before the tide of anguish that overcame him and he fought to keep back the tears that sprang to his eyes.

I nearly lost her. It was only by good fate that she survived.

He scooped out more of the balm from the pot in his hand and lathered it across her back, heedless of the amount of the ointment he used, or whoever else might have benefited from it.

Perhaps it is the sound of the Moonlit Edge returning home to its sheath, perhaps it is just something in the peaceful Ko monk sensing his approach, but Bria slowly turns her head to Otiorin, sees what is in his hand, and after but a moment of recognition - she recoils from the healing salve as sure as if it were an angry scorpion!

She shakes her head several times tossing her wet hair to and fro, but mostly she tries to speak under the gag. She looks up again and she seems to recognize Otiorin. She breathes a deep sigh of relief. Still, she looks at the salve as if it were venom of the deadliest kind...

With fingers that move like an old woman's, she bends forward and tries to remove her gag, but the pain is just too great, her hands are too weak, and the leather gag is on too well. Breathing heavily, Bria sinks back down. She sighs wearily and points to her gag. Her eyes seem to say, "Would you please remove this thing? I really must tell you something..."

Meanwhile, the sounds of trumpeting, shouting, and galloping of horses' hooves from the south become greater by the moment.

Otiorin's pain-addled mind tried hard to fathom what Bria was intending but, as he saw her clawing at the gag, bricks in his mind fell into place and he applied his silver claws to the tough leather binding her mouth.

"Wh-what are you saying?", he murmured through gritted teeth.

This Woman's Work by Kate Bush. An incredible and touching piece.

[media]
[/media]
The moment Otiorin's sharp claws slice through the gag, Bria goes limp and smiles gratefully. She speaks like a person whose mind is swimming through a sea of delirium. She appears to be trying hard to keep conscious. Still, as the rain patters down, she brings forth her sunshine smile when she hears his voice and sees his face.

"H... Hi, Rin! You look terrible..." She beams at him while lying as motionless as possible. "The Wee Jas... broke my arms." She winces again and again. "The Art of Pain... Wee Jas break bones with a technique that fools healing magic... so that the bones and nerves heal wrong." Bria gasps. "If I'm given magic to restore me now, I... they won't work... My magic... I won't cast ever again."

"So... I need you..." She gulps at her arms in their long sleeves. "I need you to... put my bones back right. Straighten them. Then apply..." she looks to the healing salve. "It would be nice if... both arms could be... done simul-- Sim-- At the same time?" Her eyes dart around momentarily for another Wanderer.

"Oh! One more thing... I might fall..." Her pretty brown eyes look into the gray sky as if recalling some bright memory. "Remember our chat on the wagon? Well... I've made a decision. Regardless... ow... of what you think you are... I have chosen to... have love for you... so no matter how dark your life gets... no matter how you feel... know that there is always someone in your corner... ever cheering for you, Rin!" Yet another jolt of pain suddenly rides up her body and she bites her lower lip and does not cry out. She manages to look up to Rin in the warmest way.

"You're terrific, Rin!"

Breathing heavily, Bria simply looks up at him. Smiling in the rain.

Otiorin's pain washed away with the torrential rain sluicing out of the sky. The fast-approaching sound of horses, wagons, horns and battlecries faded into the background as if Bria and he were the only people in the world, in the universe, heavens and all. The icy-cold rain that pounded on his scalp and worked it's way through his clothes to soak his skin was little more than a light summer drizzle. Her smile consumed his every thought, the darkness that dwelled in the back of his mind over the mediocrity of his most recent performance in combat seared into nothingness by the brilliant light she seemed to give off in his altered eyes.

His skin shifted, pale pink replacing the blue-white tinge, even as his eyes, teeth and nails altered back to their native forms.

"But... but your people, the Ko... don't they have rules? Taboos about associating, getting deeply emotionally involved with non-Ko? I... I don't want you to be cast out from your people, your family, not for me. I love you too much to let you do that.", he said, before darting forward like a snake.

His hands closed around her cheeks, gently caressing the chilled skin, his face inches from hers.

"I love you, you hear me? But I love you so much, I don't want to see you cast out and fallen from grace. I would flee to the darkest depths of the earth, never to be seen again, rather than see you alienated from your own people. I know how that feels and I would wish it on no one else. I only want you happy."

And then he kissed her.

Luna and Sparkle make their way back to the other Wanderers. Sparkle is trying to be calm as she sends to Bren, but the old girl cannot keep the worry out of her tone. Bren, that warg did something to Luna, but we do not know what! She appears to be in no immediate danger... but... that abominable creature appears to have stolen Luna's voice! I... I am at a loss!

As Luna silently rejoins the team, she and Sparkle point out a strange sigil on the top of Luna's throat - Bren has seen this vile mark before... on the noisy corpse of the Mielikkian he helped study not ten minutes ago. That hate-scrawled pentagram seems to stare back at Bren.

Meanwhile, Bren's closeness to Bria allows him to hear every spoken word (he is but 10 feet away).

(I will post as Bria later today.) =)

Standard AC: 23

Status effects: none

broken shield

The combat over, Bren simply stands for a moment in the mud-spattered aftermath. He closes his eyes briefly. Several of us down, but none dead. Thank you, St. Cuthbert and Mielikki! Then, of course, with the adrenaline dropping from his system, the pain from his own injuries hits and his eyes fly open once more. He turns to Sparkle and Luna and calls out through the rain, "Get you both here, you're too far from us if they return - or something new appear." He listens to Bria and Otiorin's conversation, and is about to reply to Bria's request that they set her broken arms when that conversation abruptly changes to something more personal. Hiding a smile, he turns to see Luna and her small familiar arrive. He winces and shakes his head at the sight of what was done to her. "I'm sorry, Luna. I wish I could have gotten to you and driven him off before that. We'll see what can be done as soon as Bria's more herself."

He takes a few steps over to Bria's side and kneels down next to her, on the side opposite Otiorin. "I hate to interrupt, but we ought to get her arms set first, don't you think? Then you two can continue this conversation later in more comfort, inside the wagon, say." He nods to the shouting, trumpeting, galloping reinforcements quickly approaching down the road.

• "Hellraiser - In the thunder and heat

Hellraiser - Rock you back in your seat

Hellraiser - And I'll make it come true

Hellraiser - I'll put a spell on you."

[media]

[/media]
    The booming thunderstorm rocks the forest as Wolf charges down the Road of Kings toward his fellow Wanderers. Then come sounds that no thunderstorm makes - a lone trumpet blasting a charge followed by distant yelling and carrying on. All of this is south of Wolf where he is speeding to.

The Adventurers' Wagon and the Wanderers must be near but before he returns to them, his ears suddenly tell him that strange and horrible company is momentarily near.

Wolf's canine ears hear the sounds of rapid, careless movement through the thick emerald beauty of Shandra's Evergreen. Its source is hidden from his eyes, but his ears hear the angry shouting of what sounds like male human beings fleeing into the deep of the wood. They flee in a northerly direction, coming from where Wolf last saw the Adventurers' Wagon. With the voices come much hate.

"These fucking Ko and their friends! His Highness!"

"Felled! With a single blow! Just impossible!"

"That cursed Sarabina must die!"

Then a new voice just ahead of the others makes itself heard. A diabolical wolf-like laugh is heard across the forest sounding like a burning devil from the bowels of the nether Hells. When that laugh finds Leonard's ears, it is the young Leonard from Dalsus all those years ago that hears it. The discovery of half-chewed limbs, bloody trails, fear-faced corpses and dreadful misery followed that laugh every time Leonard heard it in Dalsus - and now, all these years later, Wolf hears it once again.

"AaaaaHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!"

"And what do you find so damned funny?!"

"That little girl I nailed is as good as dead! Hell YES, I find that funny!"

"So glad you are having a good day! Get us out of here!"

The Dire Wolf of Dalsus continues to laugh over the thunderstorm and on into the forest as the group begins to move farther into the forest at terrific (perhaps inhuman) speed. While Wolf is welcome to follow, he thinks he is outnumbered about 4 to 1.

What does Wolf do?

Leonard Wolf - The Ranger

Shape: Wolf

Spell 1: Delay Poison

Spell 2: Entangle

Favored Terrain: Yes

Meat or Fish: Meat

Preferred Dice: Black or Red

Wolf stops frozen at what he hears.

The ambush... No! I'm too late! His first thoughts are of the worst, but then he gathers the facts and rethinks the situation. These must be the vile monks Little Cub mentioned. So the ambush took place, but they don't sound satisfied. In fact they sound angry, and like they lost someone... Someone important. So it can't have gone all that great. So they're retreating... The others must be alright, then. But what harm did take place, exactly? I have to find out. Wolf is just about to call it a day when he hears the maniacal laughter belonging to his quarry.

The direwolf! Wolf's body tenses and he's about to give chase on instinct, but hasn't made up his mind yet. Oh no... he can't mean anyone but Bria or Luna. One of them got seriously hurt. That thought is probably the only thing that eventually keeps Wolf from giving chase. He knows without a doubt that the others need him now. That Luna might need him.

With a heavy heart, Wolf continues with haste to reunite with his fellow Wanderers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back