• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Fourteen: Stoking the Fires of Preparation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Powerpaw and Bria took position. The Felane warrior followed Oreleth's indication. Then he grumbled and glared at the unnatural scene. "If we could only get whatever's under dere ta pop its head out, we could get a look-see! Once ya see da face, ya know what ta do, because Da Face Tellz All!"

"Bren?" Bria peeped over Nivirea's shoulder. "What about using your Paladin gifts from Mielikki?"

(Ack! Double post!)

The creaking pile of bones continued to rustle once every 30 heartbeats or so but equally-eerie were the metal coffins that drifted through the air with no evident means of suspension. Whatever was at work here was not in the business of following the laws of nature as you knew them.

"Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow" by Mannheim Steamroller for their 25th Anniversary Collection

The Wayward Wanderers stood their ground before the gloomy, bone-laden scene all of a sudden, there came a great gust of snow from high above where the coffins floated! As white snow blasted through the cavern, a spectacle sight unexpected and born of great magic! Bones rattled, coffins shook, and the cavern howled! A caravan of strange and otherworldly features came barrelling past the coffins and through the tunnel, tearing past you with terrific speed and the jingling of merry bells! For the briefest of moments, you saw a massive red sled being towed by what looked like reindeer, the lead reindeer shining as if his nose were a bright red star!

A great fellow with the big beard and bigger smile, reins in one hand, seemed to clutch a great, diamond-like sparkling light in his free hand. This, he opened and loosed as he passed you, bathing you all in gentle and beautiful starlight!

"Ho, ho, ho!" he greeted you with great mirth. "Merrrrrry Christmaaaaas!"

Bria hopped in happy surprise. "Oh, how wonderful! It's the Merry Old Guy and his Nine Magical Reindeer!"

Then he and his herd were gone, gone down the corridor and away from you to parts unknown. As he made his grand exit, you felt stronger somehow in a very positive way, as if a light of joy had been given to you... as a gift!

Each of you now has a special character ability I am calling the "Diamond of Fate"!

Here is how it works:
1. At any time when your character has to roll dice, you may declare you are instead rolling your "Diamond of Fate." This is a single d30 roll which replaces any die or dice you are rolling.
2. You may roll this die for any one roll, be it Saving Throw, Initiative, Strike, damage, Skill check, etc.
3. You must keep the results of this roll which are then added to whatever normal bonuses or penalties your character possesses. If striking, results of a Natural 20 still count as a Critical Hit while numbers above that are simply added to your Strike results. A roll of Natural 30 counts as an automatic success and if done as a Strike performs triple damage instead of double. A natural roll of 1 on the die does not count as a Fumble and instead counts only as a miss or failure.
4. Your character may only possess one Diamond of Fate at a time. Your character has one such diamond now!
5. A Diamond of Fate does not expire.
6. How are they regained? I'm not telling! 8D
7. Please add your Diamond of Fate to your Character Sheet below "Bonus Action Points" now.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Gang!

Last edited:
Fantasy coffin.jpg (Image credit: The spooky and talented Nick Egberts)
The loose bones in the piles glowed green and yellow in the easy light but that was where the easiness ceased. To your Felane-enhanced senses, the hundreds and hundreds of individual bones seemed to form one great, gently-sloping mound from where the metal coffins slowly orbited around the restless movements beneath the mound's tip.

The rattling echoed all around and down the cavern behind you filling your ears with sounds most unnatural for the living. There was the sensation of being very alone here - for you appeared to be the only things down here possessing heartbeats - and for how much longer?

A mere 40 feet ahead of you, the clearing of sickly-colored bones stood. The bones were broken, some smashed, skulls unrighted, spines split. This was no place for the living to be.

And yet the rattling continued. Something restless stirred as if sensing your presence. The rattling and movement ceased. An unhealthy silence dominated the cavern and the air around you. You heard only the breathing coming from your magically-greatened forms. Bria looked about uneasily and with more than a little fear. Powerpaw snarled, his sharp teeth showing, his blood-red eyes beginning to blaze. Sparkle simply hid. Oscar kept his eyes and ears open but otherwise, the little red panda moved very little.

Each of you came under the feeling that if you did not make some sort of move soon...

...perhaps the thing under the mound... would.

What do the Wayward Wanderers do?

.:|Nivirea - The (Felane) Sorceress |:.

Nivirea had no qualms about keeping the rear when Bren instructed her so. She took her place and remained sharp.

"It's too quiet, no?" she mused out loud, growing visibly more concerned by the moment.

Luna looks at the group and says, "I can try to flush out whatever it is in there with a force missile. I'd just as soon not get attacked by surprise by something nasty if I can avoid it."

Otiorin Taletreader

It was all Otiorin could do to prevent his hackles from instinctively rising and his tail from fluffing out as he viewed the scene.
"Whatever dwells beneath the bones, I fear it already senses our presence. Can we not avoid it? I'd rather chance the poles than rouse something that can exist in a charnel pit like this."
He glanced up at the poles again, gauging the distance from the edge of the bones to the closest pole and wondering if he had rope enough to try to lasso it and climb over to it.

Bren shook his head at Luna and Otiorin. "Whatever it is will certainly read such a spell as an attack. It is possible, if only barely, that what lies beneath is not automatically an enemy. Give me a moment to see what I can sense from it first. Hopefully, we can discover something useful without interacting directly. But I do like the idea of passing over it if we can. Can you mages confer to see how you might assist Otiorin's throw, or any other means of crossing above this ... mess?"

He then turned to the bones, calling upon his Mielikki-granted power to sense evil, and directed it at all within his view across the clearing, studying each in turn.

Paladin Brendoran focused himself for long moments while the bones continued their clattering.

Time/Date: Unknown. Last you knew it was mid-afternoon, Monday, 22nd September in the year 1118.
Weather: Snowy in a Loviatar-wants-you-to-die-here kind of snowy. Really, just don't go out there. =)

"First Light" by Lindsey Stirling

With his faith of the Mistress of the Forest ablaze inside of him, Brendoran the Paladin reached out with the light inside of him, seeking out the evil and diabolical things in the world that most people flee from. Such was the way of the Paladin.

Snarling, Powerpaw looked on, itching to throw the stone in his paw at the pile of restless bones even if it meant picking a fight with whatever lay below, and he would have were it not for Bria's soft paw inside his elbow, silently asking him to stay his feline curiosity and reign in his youthful impatience for the sole chance at peace. Such were the ways of the warrior and the healer.

And perhaps it was the very power of Brendoran's spirit that reached across the distance between the Wayward Wanderers and the pile of bones that caused the rattling to shudder once, then cease. The floating steel coffins with their sides shackled paused too, slowly turning in unison toward the Wayward Wanderers (or perhaps just Lord Sarabina). There, the coffins seemed to stare at you if such a thing could be said about eyeless containers that should not hover in the air but instead stay deep in the earth protecting their precious contents. Such was the way of these unquiet things...

...or so it seemed!

For the bones rattled now in unison creating a loud cacophony of banging, cracking, and clattering. Not just the bones on the mound, but all of the bones everywhere! They seemed to dance with a strange life of their own! The coffins shook and added the sounds of their rattling chains to the noise. Dust and dust-like clouds rose from the mound, white and brown, rising up a few feet before settling down again. And yet, it all happened without the slightest feeling of threat toward you. As if it were a strange but natural occurrence of some kind. There was the sensation of something fantastic about it all. It was, for certain, another one of those sights that the non-adventuring never saw for they never dared. Yet here you were seeing it for yourselves.

The bones settled down. Quiet was restored once more. Even the coffins ceased their unnatural shaking though they continued to hover and face you. And now, emerging from the shaking, there was something new atop the mound of bones, something loosened perhaps and made to rise to the top. One look proved that it was not bony at all but metallic-looking, ancient, and altogether strange. Why it was here now and not before was anyone's guess but here it was, but 40 feet from you.

A strange set of scales sat upon the mound of bones. They appeared to be made out of some jeweled substance, but the caked dust masked it in great sheets of gray. Each of you understood that these things came before a time before any of you were born with the sole exception among you being Oreleth of the Forest Eternal. It stood a little crookedly atop the bones, but it stood.
IMG_20160524_210029_TtmGDjozr9.jpg
(Image: Tatoodo)

What this thing was here for was a new mystery. But it was here now for you to examine or ignore as you so chose.

What now do the Wayward Wanderers do?

Fantasy coffin.jpg
(Image credit: Nick Egberts)
GAME DETAILS Location: Near the Dungeons of Castle Anguish
Mode: Exploration
Click Blue Box for Ambiance =)
"D&D Ambiance - Dark, Dank Cave" by Sword Coast Soundscapes

Oreleth looks to Brendoran and says, "I am aware that paladins are able to sense the darker forces due to your connection with your god. Do you feel any such evil lurking about?" She eyes the scales, wondering what it might be, and if it would be safe to approach it.

Bren found the new movements of the bones and coffins disturbing. Had they sensed him reaching out? Or just decided they'd waited long enough for something to happen? He was distracted by Oreleth's question, and turned to face her as he replied, "We are, but I sense nothing evil here, odd as that sounds. That does not mean it will not be hostile, of course, there are plenty of neutral forces about, particularly if attacked first. It almost seems like it wants to communicate in some odd way, however. Anyone know what those scales might mean?" He gingerly came half the distance (20 feet) nearer to try to get a better look, wary of any kind of reaction from the macabre setting that was anything like an attack.

"It is good to know that whatever lies out there is not truly evil, my friend Bren. But I would still suggest caution on our part." Luna looks out across the sea of bones at the set of scales, trying to wrack her brain for any information that might be hidden inside her noggin about what that might be. Is it a magic device? If so, have I ever read any books about it? If so, what does it do?

Luna frowns. "I do not recall ever coming across such an item described in my books before. Let me at least see if there is magic in it, or hidden away in the bones." Calling upon her mystic training, the Pyromancer casts her Cantrip of Detect Magic.

Immediately, Luna perceived an aura of eldritch magic emanating from the small set. As the moments passed, Luna the Wizard (in name and no-longer-mage) studied the aura and was quite certain of the presence of divination and conjuration magic coming from the scales. However, in order to determine any more, she knew she must be able to thoroughly examine the object - and that meant getting within touching distance of it.

Feeling these sensations of curiosity from her familiar's mind, Sparkle stirred and peered at the scales too.

Luna pipes up with, "Its definitely magic, showing strongly of Diviniation and Conjuration magic. But to know more, I will have to be close enough to touch it."

Unexpectedly, The young sorceress padded up to Bren, joining him at the head of the group.

"I... I've seen that before..." she started, her eyes narrowed suspiciously. "It's... It's, well..." She stopped, hesitant for some reason. Then she took a deep breath. "Back in my parents' estate, there was a woodcarving that looked just like this. My father said it was a replica of something that belonged to my great-grandfather. Something that was lost when my great-grandfather disappeared himself, decades ago. The Fortune Teller, it was called. But what it would be doing here, of all places... I have no idea."

Oreleth narrows her eyes at the news from Nivirea, keeping her bow in hand. She shifts her position off to one side to make sure that she has a clear line of fire on the bones; no sense in letting some monster attack while she cannot defend her allies.

Location: Bren is about 20 feet nearer the Dungeons of Castle Anguish.
Time/Date: Unknown. Last you knew it was mid-afternoon, Monday, 22nd September in the year 1118. Maybe now it's Tuesday?
Weather: Still snowy with that strange cursed-evil-Loviatar-brand-of-Pohjolan-snow. Stay inside because it sure is not getting any better out there. =)

"First Light" by Lindsey Stirling

As Brendoran neared the scales, his armored feet reached the white pond of bones. Here, the human lord could easily tell that these bones were from a great myriad of creatures - humans, dwarves, goblins, and yes, horses too though how they had gotten down here was anyone's guess. There were more too, but Brendoran had been adventuring long enough to know certain types of bones on sight. They were pale, dry, and not at all dusty. The pool, now that he was at the foot of it, seemed like a strange museum of sorts. The unglorious steel coffins turned in mid-air as he approached, facing him at all times without so much as a clink from their thick chains.

Without warning, the mound burst! Bones flew all over the place including at and over Brendoran of Mielikki!

This creature in a pose much like this, but in medieval clothing consisting of long robes, once fine, now faded, just like him.
Quoti+can+pay+peasant+skeletons+to+fight+for+me+because+_402a1241afa132a733bd40cf358ed7d0.jpg
(Image credit: www.erikronnblom.com)

The figure stood tall and proud as the bones continued to rain down about him. Cane in one hand, his arms were outstretched, not dangerously, but in a sweeping display that said "Surprise!"

"Oh my!" Bria clasped her paws before her snout in a kind smile. "Whut Da FACE?!" Powerpaw snarled violently, putting himself before Bria and Otirin, his maul at the ready.

Behind him, the quartet of steel coffins shook and rattled most unnaturally. With a single snap of his bony fingers, the chains slipped away inside the coffins. The coffins too burst open and therein came four more of the undead dressed in the attire of servants. These bowed deeply and in unison to Brendoran. Behind them, the coffins worked their magic and came to life as four wide tables sprang forth and plopped down in front of the paladin with all manner of clean, shining wares spread out before him. Shelves lining the coffins collapsed outward creating a series of walls behind the tables. The servants manned the magically-candle-lit tables, each with ghastly grins and welcoming gestures, none of which seemed the least hostile.

The wares were adventuring equipments of all kinds. None of them appeared magical at first glance, but many of them were of masterwork quality. Everything from climbing pitons to silken cords to hardy backpacks and packs of tindertwigs lined the tables and shelves. Weapons, too, adorned the shop. Sharp-looking daggers, clean Summerset-forged longswords, dwarven-made hammers, and the occasional elven blade stood out of reach upon the coffins' shelves, every one of them seemed to be in pristine condition. There were also strange odds and ends here - old-style bottles with fresh-looking liquids, pieces of vellum tied nicely into scroll-like bits very likely too small to be magical, small pieces of metal - that neither belonged or did not belong as it was.

The four tables were dubbed, "Hardy Armor," "Reliable Weapons," "Fine Gear," and "Odds & Ends" by way of small beautifully-written signs on their fronts. Each of the items possessed a price tag upon it placed plainly for any viewer to see.

The leader proudly stepped forward before Brendoran and tapped his cane in finality and upon that command, a shower of red and white glittering magical light flooded the air above them all spelling out grand letters that glowed with magnificence!

WELCOME TO THE VARELYS TRADING STATION! WINTER SALES ARE GOING ON NOW!

With a wiggle of his skeletal hand, the Fortune Teller scales drifted up and out of the bones and to his waiting hand where it sit upon his palm in a regal fashion. The wielder the Fortune Teller bowed to Brendoran and his servants bowed again in unison with him. For a moment, perhaps Lord Brendoran and Ladies Luna and Nivirea were reminded of a taste of life they had all left behind. Whomever this being was, he was clearly no stranger to class, regal fashion, and proper etiquette, whatever his unnatural state. It seemed to make no difference to him that you were all ogre-sized, cat-people with fur, muscles, and senses to match. You... were customers!

The lord then took another view of your size and feline statures. With another click of his bony fingers, a flash of cloudy white magic enshrouded all and all of his wares became large-sized to fit creatures like you. Then the lord nodded to Brendoran and with his cane, he beckoned Lord Brendoran to whichever of his tables pleased him. All of this took place without a word.

What does Brendoran do? (The rest of the party may act as they will, but Brendoran being where he is, automatically receives "Initiative" as it were.)

Fantasy coffin.jpg
(Image credit: Nick Egberts)

Luna nearly jumps out of her skin when the skeleton bursts forth from the bones, and a variety of spells cross her mind that are almost cast until she can sense that the undead figure does not mean any hostility towards them. She looks on in open curiosity as the tables are set up and the wares are set up. "Well, it would seem that we have a chance to spend some coin on the items before us, assuming that our bony friend takes our money as currency. It is a good thing that we didn't attack earlier."

Nivirea stood in open bewilderment. Shocked. For a good while she just seemed to be trying to process what she was seeing, her mind clearly working overtime. Being already closer to Bren than the others, she quickly followed him closer with little hesitation. She looked left and right, her eyes drawn across the display of items presented before her, but mostly her focus had been on the prominent skeletal figure, the supposed proprietor of this ghastly store they seemed to have come across.

She opened her mouth as if to say something, then paused. Then again, and this time she spoke, addressing the well-dressed figure before them.

"Varelys? As in... Barathus Eliminus Varelys?"

Character sheet
Felane appearance: this, but with blue eyes
full

Credit: gugu-troll - Professional, Digital Artist | DeviantArt

Bren's jaw dropped as bones flew, coffins opened, tables unfolded and stocked themselves, and above all, the proprietor of this most unusual "establishment" and his staff bowed and gestured. "Good gods," he whispered. Then he began to laugh. All their caution and, yes, he'd admit it to himself at least, fear, and now it seemed there was little to fear at all! With the grace of one born to nobility, he returned the proprietor's bow and stepped forward to speak to him, rather than to one of the tables. "Your pardon, sir, but my companions and I are, er, not always the size we are now. Will your wares change themselves to fit once we are elsewhere?" He noticed Nivirea coming up with him, and glanced at her, then looked up at the sign with recognition. He wondered if this "Barathus Eliminus Varelys" was the great-grandfather she'd said disappeared -- and then wondered if the berobed skeleton before them was Barathus himself, not exactly in the flesh, but in person.

Last edited:

Location: Bren is about 20 feet nearer the Dungeons of Castle Anguish.
Time/Date: Unknown. Last you knew it was mid-afternoon, Monday, 22nd September in the year 1118. Maybe now it's Tuesday?
Weather: Still snowy with that strange cursed-evil-Loviatar-brand-of-Pohjolan-snow. Stay inside because it sure is not getting any better out there. =)

With the grace of one born to nobility, he returned the proprietor's bow and stepped forward to speak to him, rather than to one of the tables. "Your pardon, sir, but my companions and I are, er, not always the size we are now. Will your wares change themselves to fit once we are elsewhere?"

The proprietor put one hand to his chin while the other cradled his elbow. This left his cane to stand without any assistance whatsoever with the Fortune Teller sitting upon the cane - a physical impossibility were it not for sorcery.

A moment passed, then he nodded briefly and enthusiastically. He indicated the "Odds & Ends" table where one of the four servants, a short and portly fellow even in undeath, happily raised a small silvery chime with a price tag attached to it. This, he held near a large-sized leather belt. At the proprietor's direction, the servant rung the chime. As the cheery tone lifted through the air, the large-sized belt winked out of sight in the time it took one to blink, and returned to its proper medium size there upon the table.

The proprietor quickly and quietly turned back to Brendoran, eager to see his reaction.

* * *​

She looked left and right, her eyes drawn across the display of items presented before her, but mostly her focus had been on the prominent skeletal figure, the supposed proprietor of this ghastly store they seemed to have come across.

She opened her mouth as if to say something, then paused. Then again, and this time she spoke, addressing the well-dressed figure before them.

"Varelys? As in... Barathus Eliminus Varelys?"

For one very long moment , the propreitor stood still in silent astonishment, evidently struck paralyzed by what he had just heard. Joy quickly followed. With his hands crossed upon his chest, the proprietor wheeled in esctacy while he feet performed a little shuffling dance upon the bones. His expresssion turned heavenward as he seemed to savor this moment.

As the proprietor basked, you heard voices. HIs servants were caught up in a hurried conversation.

"Incredible! They recognize Master! How can it be?"

"They probably used magic or something. Go now and perform your duty!"

"But... they are Felane! Holy children of Bountiful Bastet and protectors of The Golden Land! How can I approach them? I am unworthy to approach them especially in my condition."

"You had better approach them! It's your turn this time and this is not your Golden Land! Now go up there and be the Master's voice!"

"As you say, Ricci."

The tallest of the four servants approached. He did not bother walking around the table to approach Brendoran and Nivirea; he simply floated through it. As he passed his celebrating master, he knelt at your feet, prostrating himself like one used to such things.

"I am Obba, presently the voice of Master Varelys," he explained as his rich, ghostly voice carried through the cavern. He sounded young and strong and indeed, his ghost was tall, well-framed, and clothed in raiment not often found in the green, verdant lands of Averlund. He spoke in clear intonations, his every move was polite.

"You are Felane, the mighty children of Bountiful Bastet and the born slayers of Set's wretched Yuan-Ti who ravage the land and rivers. May the Light of Ra radiate upon you always. Please allow me to kiss your sabatons."

As Powerpaw and Bria approached, Obba reached toward Bren's feet to do just that.

Quoti+can+pay+peasant+skeletons+to+fight+for+me+because+_402a1241afa132a733bd40cf358ed7d0.jpg
(Image credit: www.erikronnblom.com)

Oreleth is not quite comfortable with the level of fawning that the spirit is performing, having lived a rather simple life and not one accustomed to servants and such. Even so, she has enough good sense to refrain from making any kind of objection to it. No need in offending this shopkeeper, is there?

Lowering her bow, she quietly drifts forward to better check out the wares and to be a part of what is going on.

Unlike Oreleth, Nivirea had no issue with the current level of fawning, though she was too distracted to react to it in any way. She observed the jolly dancing of the skeleton that once was Barathus Eliminus Varelys, now certain of his identity.

"I'll take that as a yes," she said, helpless to smile a little at his sudden and genuine reaction, but she still seemed more puzzled than anything else. Briefly turning to Bren, she paid him a worried look, as if wondering if he was wondering the same things as her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back