• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Fourteen: Stoking the Fires of Preparation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luna was starting to look for the unknown artifact that the giant is missing when she hears that there may be a chance that Nivirea has already found it earlier and has it in her possession. She stops short with a startled gasp, and heads over to see what it is that the other woman has. Please let this be it. I don't want to risk a fight with this poor creature, and if we can restore any sense of peace to him, we should.
Cantrips - 4
Detect Magic
Light
Mage Hand
Read Magic

Level 1 - 6 +1 Evoker spell
Mage Armor x1
Burning Hands x2
Magic Missile x3
Unseen Servant x1

Level 2 - 6 +1 Evoker spell
Blur x2
Scorching Ray x2
Mirror Image x1
Protection From Arrows x1
Web x1

Level 3 - 4 +1 Evoker spell
Displacement x1
Fireball x2
Haste x1
Lightning Bolt x1

Level 4 - 4 +1 Evoker spell
Ball Lightning x1
Remove Curse x1
Scorching Ray, Empowered Metamagic Feat x2
Shout x1

Level 5 - 3 +1 Evoker spell
Cone of Cold x1
Fireball, Empowered Metamagic Feat x1
Hold Monster x1
Lightning Bolt, Empowered Metamagic Feat x1

Level 6 - 2 +1 Evoker spell
Chain Lightning x1
Disintegrate x2

Time/Date: Who can say? Last you knew it was mid-afternoon, Monday, 22nd September in the year 1118. Perhaps now it's... Wednesday?
Weather: Probably still snowy with that strange cursed-evil-Loviatar-brand-of-Pohjolan-snow. But who wants to go out and see =)

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus (Tag!)

.:|Nivirea Varelys - The Sorceress |:.

The young sorceress seemed to shrink in response to the Mad Giant's unfurling fury. The expression on her face was more grave than ever.

"Huh?" she looked at Oreleth quizzically "Ah, y-yes... I mean no, what I meant was that I found something in the tunnels that I suspected might belong to him," she explained, starting to slowly rummage through her packpack. "Ehh... is... Is this it?" she asked, taking the shiny object out into the light and displaying it on the palm of her hand for all to see.

Nivirea withdrew something stuffed at the bottom of her backpack, but when it was brought out, it came forth like a small star plucked out of a cloudless sky.

Imagine this headpiece but in a majestic platinum color, bright like a star and just as lovely to look upon. It is in splendid condition and it reflects all of the colors around it with breathtaking starlike illumination.
Starry Circlet .jpg
(Image credit: landrovalstyle from and for Lord of the Rings Online)

Now imagine that circlet surrounded by a powerful, soothing radiance that looks like this. This magical aura shines out in all directions out to a 30 foot radius (about triple that of a lit torch).
Starry Circlets radiance.jpg
(Image credit: Wallpapershome.com)

The Mad Giant was some 60 feet away and looking around the corner of the tunnel, still with his back turned toward you as his frantic search continued. He did not see the luminescence that was now in the palm of Nivirea's hand. Powerpaw and Bria's searching came to a stop when they beheld it the circlet, for it was like a little piece of the cosmos here before you - awesome, eternal, and wondrous.

Nivirea spoke and when she did, it became clear to everyone in the Wayward Wanderers, that she was lying. About what, specifically, was unknown. But that she had replied to Oreleth with a complete falsehood was obvious.

Nivirea attempted to roll Deception (Bluff in 1.0) to use the Lie Action on the party. My red d20 rolled a 1. In other words, a Failure. What's a Failure when the Lie Action fails? "The target doesn't believe your lie and gains a +4 circumstance bonus against your attempts to Lie for the duration of your conversation. The target is also more likely to be suspicious of you in the future."

In other words, Gang, Nivirea has been caught lying to the Wayward Wanderers. But about what specifically, you are not certain. Again, at this time, the searching Mad Giant is too busy losing what's left of his mind out to notice your conversation.

What do the Wayward Wanderers do?

Image Credit: Wallpapershome.com
GAME DETAILS Location: Near Varelys Trading Post
Mode: Exploration
Click Blue Box for Ambiance =)
"D&D Ambiance - Dark, Dank Cave" by Sword Coast Soundscapes

Luna stops short, looking somewhat confused at Nivirea. Her expression then gets a bit colder when she realizes that the sorceress is lying to them about the circle-thing. In a firm voice, she says, "Whatever the reason you wish to tell us stories, we will have to address it at a later time. Right now, we need to get this back to the giant before it is too late."

Assuming that Nivirea doesn't try and stop her, she reaches out and takes the circlet and turns to the mad giant and says in a voice loud enough to be heard by him, "Giant! Is it what you are looking for?" Luna then uses her Cantirp of Mage Hand to lift it up to eye level with the giant and to try and keep him out of stomping range of her.
Cantrips - 4
Detect Magic
Light
Mage Hand
Read Magic

Mage Armor x1
Burning Hands x2
Magic Missile x3
Unseen Servant x1

Blur x2
Scorching Ray x2
Mirror Image x1
Web x1

Displacement x1
Fireball x2
Haste x1
Lightning Bolt x1

Ball Lightning x1
Remove Curse x1
Shout x1

Cone of Cold x1
Hold Monster x1

Chain Lightning x1
Disintegrate x2

Last edited:

Time/Date: Who can say? Last you knew it was mid-afternoon, Monday, 22nd September in the year 1118. Perhaps now it's... Wednesday?
Weather: Probably still snowy with that strange cursed-evil-Loviatar-brand-of-Pohjolan-snow. But who wants to go out and see =)

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus (Tag!)

In order for Luna to reach Nivirea, she had to leave her place beside Oreleth to join the group. This left Oreleth where she stood now alone. In order for Nivirea to fetch the enchanted circlet from her backpack, she had to disengage from Bren, rise, fish through to the bottom of her pack, and retrieve it. This left Luna, Nivirea, and Brendoran together. Otiorin, who had approached the Mad Giant earlier, was now with Bria who had followed him and Powerpaw who had followed the peaceful healer in her search for the circlet.

Luna cast her Mage Hand and manipulated the circlet. The glowing circlet rose and drifted through the air and down the hall until it reached the Mad Giant. Luna shouted her question, causing the Mad Giant to turn and behold the very thing he was desperately searching for!

The Mad Giant smiled horridly. "DREAMY-CIRCLE!! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!" He snatched it out of the air and cuddled it against his cheek, taking one long moment to bask in its radiance. In that glow, the Mad Giant somehow seemed less threatening and more sane. However, he still appeared very cranky. A thought struck him and he stomped back up to his club. He returned to the spot he had left when he had discovered his missing circlet and stopped precisely there. Then he scowled and looked beyond it to where Luna, Nivirea, and Brendoran stood together. His fist closed over his most-prized possession and the radiance from it quieted. The Mad Giant was curious and a touch suspicious.

He gazed at Brendoran and his mouth twitched in a momentary grin. He gazed at Nivirea and Luna something terrible. "WHERE? HOW?" He demanded of Luna angrily. "DREAMY-CIRCLE WAS NOT THERE! IT WAS HERE!" The Mad Giant indicated his anklet-pouch. "BEFORE IT WAS THERRRRE!" He aimed his lengthy club directly at Luna.

"WHERRRRE? HOOOOOW?"

Image Credit: Wallpapershome.com

Luna does her best to stand tall in the face of the angry giant, but it is far from easy. "To be completely honest, I don't know how my friend got the dreamy circle. You may have dropped it by accident, and she then came along and found it. The thing to try and focus on is that you have the dreamy circle back, safe and sound." And please don't kill Nivirea for taking it in the first place.

Without a word, the Mad Giant turned to Nivirea.

"WHERRRRE? HOOOOOW?"

Many eyes watched the Summerset Sorceress, the largest of all were the Mad Giant's and he watched her with those great cracked eyes without blinking.

Oreleth lets out a sigh. Things could be going so much better right now, and if Nivirea says the wrong thing, it will get real ugly. She casually walks over to stand near the two other ladies, keeping her bow slung over her shoulder in an attempt to keep the giant from thinking that they were all involved in a plan to take the 'dreamy circle' from him.

In a quiet voice, she says, "Nivirea, you did just find it on the ground, right? Its not like you went out and took it from the giant, did you?"
Cantrips
Light
Mage Hand
Mending
Level 1 / 5 spell slots
Burning Hands x1
Gravity Bow x2
Shield x2

Level 2 / 4 spell slots
Flaming Sphere x1
Glitterdust x2
Web

.:|Nivirea Varelys - The Sorceress |:.

"Of course not," Nivirea answered indignantly. "I found it back in the tunnel. I'm no thief," she clarified in a raised voice, making sure the giant would hear her. "I am glad to see it returned."

( Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Tag!)

The Mad Giant glared unblinking at Nivirea. Then he looked at each of the other Wayward Wanderers as if gauging them. He made no attempt to hide where his bulging eyes stared. Then, without warning, he swung with his terrible stone club. Full force. Two-handed. And with a swiftness and ease that seemed to defy logic.

One moment, Nivirea was standing at arm's length between Brendoran and Luna. The club whooshed past and Nivirea was no longer standing there.

The dice are fickle today! The Mad Giant rolled an 8 (more than enough to hit Nivirea, but I'm glad it wasn't a Critical Hit). This technique (think Feats) of his add up to a devastating 8d6+30 hit from the Mad Giant. The damage dice rolled 35 Hit Points + 30 = Nivirea takes 65 Hit Points of damage in this single blow.

This takes Nivirea from full Hit Points (since Bria healed her missing 6 hit points earlier) to... (looks it up) -8 hit points. O.K. So, if Bria had not healed Nivirea earlier, Nivirea would be at -14 hit points and Dead.

At the moment, Nivirea is prone, Unconscious, and Dying.

For one moment, it appeared as if Nivirea had disintegrated. There was no sign of her at all. But Oreleth saw which way her body had fallen and the eyes of all others followed hers. Nivirea lay in a crumpled, sad-looking heap of tangled limbs on top of some dim lichen about 20 feet away from where she had stood.

Then the Mad Giant began to shout at someone who could not possibly hear him. "THERE, LYING SCREAMY-THIEF! NO STEAL ANY MORE!" The Mad Giant glared at every one of you starting with Bria. "NO! DO NOT AID! OR I ATTACK... ALL OF YOU! BE GOOD KITTIES!"

He took an angry step toward Nivirea as if to finish what he had started. But then, he looked down at all of you. He saw your faces.

The Mad Giant ceased his stride and his features softened a touch. "SCREAMY-THIEF IS FRIEND OF GOOD KITTIES! FRIEND!" He pointed at Luna. "WIZARD KITTY RETURNS MY DREAMY-CIRCLE TO ME!" Then at Otiorin. "CRYING DRAGON KITTY SPEAKS OF CHILDRENS AND FORESTS AND WISHES ME GOOD SLEEPIES! YES!" Then to Bria. "HEALING KITTY TAKES AWAY MY OWWIES!" Then to Oreleth. "ELF CAT SAYS HOLY CAT SHOULD GIVE BEATINGS! THIS IS GOOD!" Then to Brendoran. "HOLY CAT WAS READY TO GIVE HOLY BEATINGS TO SCREAMY-THIEF!"

And finally, he pointed accusingly and maniacally to the very rear of the tunnel behind Oreleth. "AND BRAINLESS BARBARIAN WITH FRIEND WATCHES FROM BACK THERE! YOOOOOU! I SEEEEEES YOOOOOOOU! YES!"

"By Odin's Eye!" From a nook in the curve in the tunnel, one skulking Tarros and a soundless Count Barathus just about froze in shock. Count Barathus, his countenance greatly pained, seemed to weakly reach out to the still form of Nivirea right before Tarros frantically grabbed him up and got both out of sight.

Powerpaw looked worriedly at Nivirea unmoving body and Bria looked much worse. They wanted to move but dared not, given the Mad Giant's threat. He addressed you all again. "IF LYING SCREAMY-THIEF IS NOT DEAD, GOOD KITTIES MAY RESTORE HER TO NOT-DEAD. BUT NO MORE! UNDERSTAND?!"

Any Wayward Wanderer with 1 Rank or more in Medicine or more understands the following.

In game terms, the Mad Giant is saying that he will allow the Wayward Wanderers to save Nivirea's life and bring her back from -8 to 0 Hit Points (Unconscious and not Dying). But no more than 0 hit points.

This will return Nivirea to the following state (per Pathfinder Corebook, page 460): "If you are unconscious at 0 Hit Points, but not dying, you naturally return to 1 Hit Point and awaken after sufficient time passes. The GM determines how long you remain unconscious, from a minimum of 10 minutes to several hours. If you receive healing during this time, you lose the unconscious condition and can act normally on your next turn."

Gang, there are, of course, a number of ways this can be accomplished. You decide. Of course, if this were an Evil party, you might not help her at all and just loot her dying body and leave her there. Glad this isn't that kind of game, right? =)

What do they Wayward Wanderers do?

Nivrea Varelys per Wolf.jpg
Sorceress Nivirea Varelys
Image Credit: Unknown! (Google can't find it. Let me know and I'll give credit!)

Otiorin Taletreader

In an unconscious motion, Otiorin’s paired swords leapt into his hands, even as his face hardened. He mentally and physically prepared himself to engage in battle with the gigantic creature the moment Bren ordered it. He spared a momentary glance in Nivirea’s direction, then looked away from the bloody, ragged body that lay in a pathetic heap nearby.
She may or may not have stolen the circlet, but either way, she didn’t deserve that level of violence.

Luna instinctively raced forward to the side of the fallen Nivirea, kneeling down next to her. But with all the knowledge that she possesses, the years of training and study, not once did she ever think to learn about medicine and the healing arts! Her hands want to cradle Nivirea, but she is afraid that anything she might do could cause even more harm to the other woman.

"Bria! I know nothing of healing! This is far beyond anything I have ever seen, and if I try to help her, I might end up killing her instead! Can you stabilize her and keep her from passing on? Please?"

Oreleth is shocked at the raw damage done to Nivirea. Then, she sees Otiorin getting ready to go to arms against the giant. She runs to put herself between the two of them, "No! This has to stop, or we are all done for! Let Bria or Brendoran use their skill to heal her, or else it is a brutal fight that I fear we cannot win. You have seen something of that giant that touched you deeply. He is probably just as much a prisoner here as the rest of us. He has his circlet back, and is willing to allow us to help her, but if we fight, only the gods can say what the result will be."

For a long moment, Bren can only stare in shock. A tiny, disengaged part of his brain wondered how he might feel about this turn of events had he instead chosen to worship St. Cuthbert, the deity of justice and retribution. That thought faded as he came back to himself and more natural thoughts filled his mind -- and mouth. "Bria! Do as he permits, but no more." He made sure to speak loudly enough for all in the cavern to hear, trying to keep his voice steady. Then he reached out his hand to lay it gently on Otiorin's shoulder. "Oreleth is right," he said softly, remembering what his goddess's messengers had said about the probable result of a fight with the Mad Giant. Returning to his earlier firm, carrying tone and looking up at the giant, he continued, "There has been enough violence between us. We shall leave you to your sleepies, and return to our own quest." He glanced at Nivirea's fallen form, then back up at the giant. "I will bear her away with us and ensure she does not trouble you again." Years of ingrained noble courtesy made him want to add if you please, but he didn't dare, lest the giant not please.

Otiorin Taletreader

The half-elf-turned-Felane twitched as Oreleth interceded herself between him and the humongous creature, and tensed as Bren spoke. Deep within him, the latter-day Otiorin also screamed at him, What the hells are you thinking? That beast will eat you whole as a snack! Stop listening to that dragon or you’ll kill us, I mean, me!

Regretfully, he resheathed his swords and turned away.
“Help her then.”, he said, sorrowfully.
“We would have moved mountains to help you find the peace you deserve”, he said over his shoulder, “but I see you don’t want our help.”

( Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Tag!)

In an unconscious motion, Otiorin’s paired swords leapt into his hands, even as his face hardened. He mentally and physically prepared himself to engage in battle with the gigantic creature the moment Bren ordered it. He spared a momentary glance in Nivirea’s direction, then looked away from the bloody, ragged body that lay in a pathetic heap nearby.
She may or may not have stolen the circlet, but either way, she didn’t deserve that level of violence.

"WHAT?!"

The Mad Giant saw Dragon Kitty draw forth elven blades, a matched set if he believed his eyes. Dragon Kitty saw a threat! A threat to the Kitties! In his insanity, the Mad Giant spun about and looked behind him to where he thought Otiorin was looking. The notion that he was the subject of Dragon Kitty's ire never entered his mind, for Dragon Kitty had been kind to him. The Mad Giant repeated his question several times to the empty air, his stone club at the ready. He stood protectively over the Wayward Wanderers, but all he saw was cavern, moss, lichen, and the empty white patches on the ground where he had made the Screamy-Thief visible.

His eyes bulged as he stared. His ears strained as he listened. There was no threat! Unless... of course! "GOOD DRAGON KITTY! DO NOT BE AFRAID!" The Mad Giant took a hamfinger and gently touched the glowing lichen where he thought Otiorin was looking "IS ONLY GLOWY-GREENS! WILL NOT HURT YOU! SEE?" He turned about to face Otiorin displaying the lichen to him. That is when he saw Oreleth placing herself between Otiorin and the Mad Giant.

Oreleth is shocked at the raw damage done to Nivirea. Then, she sees Otiorin getting ready to go to arms against the giant. She runs to put herself between the two of them, "No! This has to stop, or we are all done for! Let Bria or Brendoran use their skill to heal her, or else it is a brutal fight that I fear we cannot win. You have seen something of that giant that touched you deeply. He is probably just as much a prisoner here as the rest of us. He has his circlet back, and is willing to allow us to help her, but if we fight, only the gods can say what the result will be."

Now he was truly confused. Her words were too many and they were meant for the Dragon-Kitty. Thus, the Mad Giant only half-tried to follow them.

"GLOWY-GREENS!" Pleased, he displayed his fingertip to Oreleth.

It was then that he noticed Luna and Bren with the Screamy-Thief. Bria was running to join them and Powerpaw was doing his best to be near while still out of the way of their work. The Mad Giant saw they were all concerned with the Screamy-Thief. They cared for her even though she had led him straight to them. The Mad Giant understood that by doing so, they came very close to fighting. And when he fought, there had only been one conclusion that he could imagine and that involved him walking away with his beloved Starry Circlet. Then Holy Cat and Dragon Kitty spoke again.

Returning to his earlier firm, carrying tone and looking up at the giant, he continued, "There has been enough violence between us. We shall leave you to your sleepies, and return to our own quest." He glanced at Nivirea's fallen form, then back up at the giant. "I will bear her away with us and ensure she does not trouble you again." Years of ingrained noble courtesy made him want to add if you please, but he didn't dare, lest the giant not please.

Regretfully, he resheathed his swords and turned away.
“Help her then.”, he said, sorrowfully.
“We would have moved mountains to help you find the peace you deserve”, he said over his shoulder, “but I see you don’t want our help.”

"WHAT?" The Mad Giant did not understand all that was happening; their ideas were too complex; but what else was new? He had been this way for what felt like forever. Perhaps long ago, he could have followed their lines of thinking. But no longer. However, he did understand one thing clearly and that discovery was strong enough to spur him into further action. "NO! WAIT!" he shouted and stamped his foot so hard, the earth trembled under your feet, jostling all of you.

He stepped forward and loomed over Nivirea. He squatted down. His gaze drank in her fallen, twisted form when just a moment before she had been animated with life. He recalled the visions of children and forests. The books. Their games. Their reading together. Their coming to him in time of need. His wisdom and understanding helping them. The goodness he felt for all of it. He was no longer the creature he once was but that did not stop the memories from coming back to him - memories returned to him thanks to the paranoid Dragon Kitty who appeared ready to attack the very lichen on the walls. Perhaps these caverns of Loviatar's drove everyone insane? It would explain the goblins.

In the glow of the Starry Circlet, he closed his eyes and winced. "NO. HARKEN! SHE STEALED MY ONLY HOPE. ME DREAMY-CIRCLE. SHE LIE TO ME WHEN SHE SHOULD HAVE SAY SORRIES! I HAVE BEEN DRIVEN... INSANE! BUT... I AM CRAZY, NOT STUPID!"

He frowned deeply at Nivirea, but not in anger. "IN ME ANGRIES, I HIT HER... TOO HARD. I AM BAD GIANT. SHOULD HAVE USED ONE HAND. I FORGET NOT ALL CREATURES ARE LIKE ME. GOOD KITTIES ARE RIGHT TO BE ANGRIES WITH ME." he nodded to Otiorin in this and added, "BUT... I CAN RETURN LIFE TOO! WATCH!"

The Mad Giant then opened his misshapen maw and bit down, hard, into his left forearm. When the stony, hardened skin there would not break, he tore deeper into it, violently shaking his jaws back and forth until it bled. Then, with his blood on his teeth, he held the arm over Nivirea's torso. "MUST BE QUICK." He watched very carefully until a single drop of his blood fell from his wound. The droplet struck Nivirea on her face and bosom like a pail of red. A few moments passed and then Nivirea's mouth fell open. Her breathing eased and her appearance became far less dire.

Nivirea is now Unconscious and not Dying. She has 0 hit points.

"SHE WILL LIVE. CLEAN HER?" The Mad Giant gave a crooked smile and rose to his feet. Bria, instantly wanting to heal his injuries as quickly as she wanted to heal Nivirea's, looked up. What she saw made her gasp. The Mad Giant's arm no longer bled. By this time, there was no laceration and the teeth-marks he had so brutally given himself were fading quickly. Even the blood on him sunk back into his skin as if wanting to return to the very vessels they flowed in.

Bria set about to washing the blood from Nivirea. His very blood could heal! Bria looked up in awe and asked in something akin to a shout. "What... are you, sir?"

The Mad Giant beheld the Starry Circlet. "I NO LONGER KNOW, GOOD KITTY. THIS PLACE... IT HAS STOLEN EVERYTHING FROM ME. BUT COME!" Grinning, he beckoned to the cavern whence he came. "AND BRING BRAINLESS BARBARIAN AND BONY SHOPKEEPER TOO!" He swiftly pointed to two little heads peeking out from behind the rocks again. Tarros had his great axe in hand while Count Barathus crouched with potions in each hand with his eyes on Nivirea. He, like Bria, was astonished. This time, they did not run but looked to you for guidance.

"FOLLOW, GOOD KITTIES, AND RECEIVE." He turned to go.

What do the Wayward Wanderers do?

The Mad Giant 20200425_142632.jpg
The Mad Giant
Image Credit: Erol Otus! =)

Last edited:
Luna feels a level of tension she has rarely felt before as she worries over the safety of Nivirea to the point of barely being aware of the scene going on behind her with Oreleth, Otiorin and Bren. Tears flowing from her eyes blurred her vision until she became aware that the giant was saying something about hitting her too hard. Luna looks up at the giant as he dollops a drop of his blood onto her, and she finally manages to call out to him. "Thank you. I was so afraid that we were going to lose her in this cold wasteland. Master giant? In all our talking, I do not ever remember asking for your name. What should we call you?"

Whatever his response, she turns to Bren. "I feel as if we dodged an arrow here, and despite the tensions of the moment, I feel that the giant has no ill intent for us. We should go with him to see what he wants us to 'receive'."
Cantrips - 4
Detect Magic
Light
Mage Hand
Read Magic

Mage Armor x1
Burning Hands x2
Magic Missile x3
Unseen Servant x1

Blur x2
Scorching Ray x2
Mirror Image x1
Web x1

Displacement x1
Fireball x2
Haste x1
Lightning Bolt x1

Ball Lightning x1
Remove Curse x1
Shout x1

Cone of Cold x1
Hold Monster x1

Chain Lightning x1
Disintegrate x2

The Mad Giant paused at Luna's question. He thought for long moment then shook his head (causing his eyes to wobble in a most unnatural fashion). He closed his fist around the Starry Circle and his massive fingers swallowed the radiance it gave as if it were under a ton of rock. "DON'T KNOW, WIZARD KITTY. SO MANY YEARS HAVE PASSED, NO ONE HAVE USED IT. ONCE, BEFORE CRAZY, I WROTE IT ALL. BUT SO MANY YEARS INSANE, RARELY SLEEPIES, RARELY DREAMY-LAND, ALWAYS ALONE, I NO REMEMBER HOW TO READ ANYMORE."

He shrugged as if to make light of it all. "NAMES. PAST. BAH! NOT IMPORTANT. ONLY IMPORTANT IS LIVING NOW." He closed his eyes a moment and beamed a grotesque and seemingly genuine grin to Luna. He felt it was so very heartwarming to talk to kind people again.

Last edited:

( Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Tag and Wolf Rawrrr Wolf Rawrrr too! Kaerri Kaerri Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie )

(A fond farewell!)

"Wayward Wanderers? If you please?"

His aged hands clasped, Count Barathus Varelys cautiously emerged from his place of hiding, his yellow robes glowing softly.

Powerpaw's tail flashed this way and that. "Uhh, whaz up, County-face?"

There was a great relief in the bearded fellow's eyes as he addressed the Wayward Wanderers. "Nivirea is family and I must return and restore her." He gulped as he neared you now that he was in full view of the Mad Giant. His resolve did not waver. Much.

He bowed with the deepest humility. "I beseech you to leave Nivirea's wellbeing and future to me. I have items, restoratives, and other means that will see her to fullest health and prosperity. Since you have broken Loviatar's curses on my pupils and I, we will make for the Crown of the Valley, Summerset! For I have been gone overly long and time has waylaid me into a new life. I will return to our estate and prove to Marcus," he paused and his eyes drifted, "er, that is Nivirea's father. You know... The little cute one with the green eyes who likes his lollipops made freshly and never gets tired of pulling on girls' hair, and oh, but wait - that was when he was but a babe! I-- I am certain he has changed since then!" He coughed with touch of embarrassment and continued.

"I will return to Summerset with my dear Nivirea in my care and Tarros at my side!"

Tarros grunted in affirmation and grunted. "Aye! By Tyr's lone fist, anywhere is better than this thrice-cursed place!"

"Let me show you what an old merchant-become-adventurer can do."

Count Barathus knelt over Nivirea's still form. Even in the grip of unconsciousness, her will seemed to strain, eager to be free again. To Bren and Bria, who had both died and returned to tell about it, this was the face of someone who wanted to live. Count Barathus popped a cork on a twisting green glass and poured its contents all about Nivirea's beautiful features. No liquid spilled forth, but a strange mist instead. Your feline senses took in the scents of herbal ingredients and odd, but pleasant smells. The mist drifted lightly upon Nivirea's features and a change seemed to fall over the sorceress.

Though she had been healed, in her unconscious state, it seemed now that she dreamt and dreamt peacefully. Her features smoothed and relaxed and the faint hint of a smile appeared on her lips. She was in no pain. She was instead somewhere very safe and very far away.

"Mad Giant?" Barathus called out as loudly as his lungs would allow.

The Mad Giant turned, his face became cracked and distorted in confusion. He shrieked and groaned as if you were all half-deaf. "WHAT?! WHAT DOES OLD HUMAN WANT? WHO IS HE?"

"It is I, Mad One! Count Varelys! The skeletal merchant! Remember? Thanks to the Wayward Wanderers, I am now as I should be!"

"GOOD!! YES!" the giant replied. "THAT MAKES ONE OF US!"

"Great one, I must know before I follow to wherever you take us... do you hate my Nivirea?"

"WHAT?" the Mad Giant paused and glared, his thoughts unknowable for one long, dangerous moment. Then he spoke, waving his hands about in an attempt to help describe what his lips were saying. "NO! LISTEN! SHE... IS SCREAMY-THIEF NO MORE! MAYBE WHEN SHE WAKES, SHE WILL REMEMBER... AND BE GOOD... AND NOT STEALIES, ANYMORE! SHE IS..." The Mad Giant touched his chin in thought as his oversized eyeballs looked up and around as if seeing things no one else could see (and how this was perhaps a good thing). "...SHE IS... DREAMY-FEY! YES! THAT IS WHO SHE IS! LOOK AT HER!" Nivirea was so far away, it was as if she would not grace these lands again. "I ENVY DREAMY-FEY! SHE IS IN... DREAMYLAND! SHE WILL NOT GO CRAZY FROM NO SLEEP - AS I HAVE! NO BEATINGS! NO MORE SMACKIES! INSTEAD SHE... WILL HAVE PEACE! YES! PEACE FOR DREAMY-FEY!"

Count Barathus's face slowly lit into a great, wide smile. He seemed warm and comforted now. He turned to his haversack and produced four peculiar golden items. They were straight. Two were of equal length and two were of another equal length. He held them over Nivirea and said a fervent prayer to Boccob the Uncaring, the Neutral God of Magic.

"Oh, Boccob whose knowledge and wisdom are as vast and plentiful as the stars, I praise you and the magic you bring to the world! In your name, I keep Nivirea Varelys in this, my crafted vessel which I have made in your honor!" Count Barathus looked heavenward. "You who know all that is worth knowing and yet seek more, I swear on my new life, upon finally returning to Summerset, to give to your holy church a tenth of my earnings and more! I ask for nothing in return, for you have given me the spark of curiosity and that spark has ever-ignited a flame within my mind for the unknown. Praise be to Boccob! Greatest of all gods!"

Count Barathus formed the four pieces into a rectangle and as the last pieces snapped together, Nivirea's body both rose and shrank. She entered the rectangle and vanished inside of it for her body on the floor was gone! Barathus held something up for all to see.

"Behold! The majesty of Boccob!"

It was a picture of Nivirea , except her beautiful eyes were wide open and filled with life.
(Image credit: Unknown! (Google can't find it. Let me know and I'll give credit!)

Count Barathus grasped the picture with both hands and gently deposited it into his pack as if it were the most precious thing he owned. Then he retook his place in the rear beside Tarros. "I am ready now! Let us depart this wicked place for better things!"

"YES!" the Mad Giant agreed. "FOLLOW! AND DO NOT LAG BEHIND! THERE IS MORE AHEAD! MUCH MORE!"

Powerpaw turned to his fellow Wayward Wanderers. "Uhh, guyz? Did he just say, 'Moar?'"

"C'mon, Fuzzy Goof." Bria grinned and hooked her arm around Otiorin's (once his blades were safely sheathed) and smiled up at him.

"Uhh," Powerpaw plodded along. "So... does anybuddy know wheres we iz goin'? I mean, where is we headed here? Da giant could be leadin' us anywhere! Ain't anybuddy concernededs?"

(Dungeon Master note: Heya Gang! This concludes Chapter Fourteen: Stoking the Fires of Preparation! See you shortly with Chapter Fifteen: The Wayward Wanderers Return to Highwind! There. That answers Powerpaw's question quite nicely, don't you think? =) )

Sorceress Nivirea Varelys
Image Credit: Unknown! (Google can't find it. Let me know and I'll give credit!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back