• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Fourteen: Stoking the Fires of Preparation

Status
Not open for further replies.
This, but with blue eyes
full

Credit: All by gugu-troll on DeviantArt

Bren listened with interest to the story of the two swords, but he seemed particularly intent when Oscar mentioned the elven paladin, Malakye -- and then confused when the red panda spoke of Malakye's fall. The confusion mostly lifted when Oscar stated that the elven paladin had been reborn, and Bren nodded as if in confirmation. "I met him once," he said quietly. "Very, very briefly, and I'm afraid I had other things on my mind." Like how Shalin and I were going to get back to Highwind from Waterwind, and how we were going to find and reunite with the rest of our party...

Oti’paw’rin Taletreader

Malakye! The name stirred memories from the Half-elf’s childhood. His mother seated comfortably by the hearthfire in their Waterwind home, recounting the great hero’s exploits as the child Otiorin ran around with a wooden sword, slashing and stabbing at the dancing shadows cast by the fire.
To hear that the Paladin was alive and reincarnated sent a shiver through the Half-elf’s Felane’s body.
“If Malakye is indeed of this world once more, then my duty is clear. The hero of legend and the blades he bore must be reunited.”, Otiorin responded, solemnly.
He understood now what that shudder was. It was partly the thrill of hearing that his hero was returned to true life, but it was also the dread of having to part with the blade he had come to treasure as well as its mate whom he had only recently liberated from the musty sack of a goblin warg-rider.
“And in the meantime, looks like I should call you two The Lovers.”, he said gently to the two enchanted weapons in his lap.

Last edited:
Bria clasped her paws and gazed at Otiorin with new fondness. "Oh, Oti! That is so noble of you! To return such things as you hold dear for the benefit of their original owner, why, in moments like this, it is hard to see you as anything but holy!" Unable to restrain herself, Bria leaned in and kissed him. Then she sat back and examined him with an expression full of wonder.

Powerpaw waved off Oscar's tale. "Aw, dat wuz a dumb story!"

Sparkle rumbled and stared at the uncouth gladiator, her slitted eyes filled with doubt. "And why would you think so? Do you detest the lack of felines in it?"

"Naw!"

"Perhaps you found it too steeped in elven feeling for your brutish nature?"

"Aw, heck no!"

"You dislike like the fact the author of the story is a gnome?"

He shook his furry head. "Naaah. Dat's not what makes da story dumb."

Sparkle sat up. Now the Fuzzy Goof had her attention. "Then... what?"

Powerpaw held out his paws. "Easy! Nobody got smacked in da face!! How iz I supposed to enjoy a story if nobody gets smacked in da face?!" He made grabbing and punching motions.

Bria groaned and smiled at him. She looked to Oti and Bren too. The men in her life were so very unusual, she thought. It was a thing she rather enjoyed about each of them.

Oscar offered. "Would you prefer a more-brutal tale filled with danger, violence, cunning, and justice?"

"Oh boy! Would I!"

So Oscar proceeded to tell Powerpaw the tale of a hero and a hydra. Powerpaw immediately found himself immersed. While Oscar spun his own kind of magic, Luna noticed Sparkle silently waving a wing toward her. She sent to her familiar.
"It is morning now. I would like to see if anything at the strange entrance has changed. What think you, Pyri?"

At this point, Luna is nose deep in her spellbook, studying for the day's trials and is only peripherally aware of Sparkle's request. "Um, yes, of course. That sounds nice."

Oreleth shakes her head, both at the antics of Powerpaw and the absent-mindedness of Luna. Truly a diverse bunch of people that I have found myself attached to these days.

Sparkle sulked as Pseudo-dragons are wont to do when they feel even the slightest bit ignored. She knew quite well that Luna was not in the habit of not listening to her; it was simply in a Pseudo-dragon's nature to act as if rebuked. "Fine. I shall seek the advice of our party's leader. I am sure he will make time for a draconic dame of my accomplishments."

Kaerri Kaerri Sparkle opened her wings and soared around Bren's head, circling lazily. "Do pardon me, Paladin Lord Sarabina, but I would like to scout again the dungeon entrance's premises. It has been many hours since friendly eyes have seen it. Since my dear Luna seems to have taken on a new familiar," she aimed her poisonous tail at the bookworm so naturally-invested between her beloved arcane pages,"in the form of her spellbook. Wizards!"

Bren and anyone listening could tell Sparkle was not truly offended by Luna's habits. In truth, if anyone had asked, Sparkle would have explained that her previous familiar, Luna's wizardly father, was born much of the same mold.

Not that Luna heard any of this. Oscar had taught her much and there was plenty of reviewing and understanding to do before the first spell was thrown inside the Dungeons of Castle Anguish.

Meanwhile, Powerpaw was getting into Oscar's tale so much, he was swinging his claws and fists at imaginary hydras. It was a spectacle both the sage and the child of Bast were enjoying thoroughly.

"And then," Oscar stated dramatically, "the hero smacked the hydra!"

"In da face?"

"In. Da. Face." Oscar nodded with all of his sagely integrity intact.

"OMIBAST! I WUV iT! I WUV iT! HAY GUYZ!" Powerpaw roared. "YER MISSIN' ONE'A DA BEST STORIES EVAAAAAAAR!"

Bren smiled, for like Oreleth and Bria he was amused at the group's diversity. "Yes, thank you, Sparkle. Perhaps your familiar will have returned to the physical world by the time you return to us."

Time/Date: Unknown. Last you knew it was mid-afternoon, Monday, 22nd September in the year 1118.
Weather: Snowy in a Loviatar-wants-you-to-die-here kind of snowy. Really, just don't go out there. =)

When Sparkle returned, none of you knew it. So soft were her wings in flight, so extraordinarily-camouflaged were her scales in every shadow, she could have never left at all and only Luna would be the wiser. However, the Sparkle that left was not the one that returned.

The old dragoness's scales were in a fright. Her eyes were wide with worry and she flew straight to Luna, perched on the wizard's shoulder, and with her frantic movements demanded immediate comfort. Luna had only seen the old dame in such states when something dangerous was abound. "Pyri! Everyone!" she didn't bother sending. "There are insects at the entrance to the dungeons! There is no way into the entrance except past them! New insects carrying tools and weapons! They have seen the sorry, blasted Ankheg corpses SkySting left behind and they look curious - if insects can perform such expressions at all!"

Hearing this, Bria looked to Bren, for among your entire team no two had adventured together longer or faced more dangers in each other's company than the now-Paladin of Mielikki and the Peaceful Healer. Her soft voice carried confidence with wonder. "Weapon-carrying insects? Are they friendly?"

"That is just it! I cannot tell! Those Ankhegs could have been allies or friends of these creatures and now they hunt for revenge!" replied Sparkle.

Powerpaw interjected. "Well, how many of dem are dere? What kinda weapons dey got?"

Sparkle's eyes looked into her recent past. "I saw... I saw... spears, bows, and steely daggers made to fit their appendages. All in fine condition. I saw about a dozen of the creatures, all silent and soft-treading, like hunters!"

Powerpaw pulled his bloodstained maul forth and rubbed his whiskers. "Steel. Dat means forged weapons, guyz."

Sparkle pointed at Oscar. "You there! You are a sage! What could they be?"

But Oscar had already begun studiously pondering the answer since Luna first reported in. The red panda sighed deeply and replied, "I can only be certain with more information. You are all Felane in form now. Might one of you sneak me within sight of these creatures or otherwise provide the necessary details?"

A Blast From the Past. =)
aoxxqhi.jpg
(Image credit: Wolf Rawrrr)
GAME DETAILS Location: Pohjola, on a cliff not far from Castle Anguish.
Mode: Exploration
Click Blue Box for Ambiance =)
"D&D Ambiance - Dark, Dank Cave" by Sword Coast Soundscapes

Oreleth nods. "I will be glad to try out the stealthy-ness of this new body and take you closer, wise Oscar. I would hope that if things to wrong that either my bow or my fleet feet will get me through some encounter. If you are ready, noble Sparkle, would you help by leading us towards these insects?"

"Me?" Sparkle shivered and thought about it. Something about those insects really rubbed her the wrong way and she could not lay her claw as to the why. In addition, her draconic emotions were still riled up from being the presence of SkySting - The SkySting! Finally, the old dame nodded to Oreleth. "I will show you where I last saw them."

Oscar reached out to Oreleth as if beckoning for her to pick him up off of his column-perch. "If we are to be a true fellowship," Oscar declared, "then we must act like one. Ultimately, the decision lies not in us as individuals, but as members of a greater whole. Brendoran? What would you have us do?"

Kaerri Kaerri =)

Bren looked the trio over. "I think you have a good plan there, but Oreleth, given that there are only three of you, please your feet first, if there is any trouble! We'll be listening here so as to be ready if you need to run back to us for help." He smiled at them. "May Mielikki watch over you, and do try to be as stealthy as you can, all three of you."

Sparkle nodded, gulped once, looked to Luna, and then resolved herself. Sparkle's body virtually vanished as she curled herself into Oreleth's fur while Oscar did his best to stay on Oreleth's backpack and out of her way. He found it considerably-easier now that she was not the size of an elf but closer to that of a minotaur.

"They are..." Sparkle said from concealment, "thataway..." Her poisonous stinger-tail became visible just long enough for Oreleth to see it. Of course, there was only one passage down toward the entrance, but things were as they were.

Oscar peeked from around Oreleth's furry neck. "Lead onward, daughter of the Forest Eternal."

"Be careful and good luck!" Bria eagerly waved as Powerpaw nodded, his fangs showing.

Oreleth gives a toothy grin to the others. "Trust me, if things go badly, I will be on my way back here very quickly. I have no desire to be a martyr to the cause of stopping Loviatar. Let us be on our way, my friends." With her bow in hand, she moves out in the most stealthy manner possible but with some speed, using her new felaine body to its best use as she goes along.

With a quiet whisper, Oreleth speaks to Sparkle. "As I grow close, give me a tap with a claw to signal it, and I will slow down to be even quieter. No sense in giving away our advantage of surprise if these insects prove to be hostile."

Before they can go, Luna gives her beloved Sparke a quick hug. "I can see you are afraid, and I am so proud of you for being so brave to go out there once more. I will make sure that nothing happens to you, waiting here with my spells prepared for battle in case things go wrong." Looking to Oreleth, she says, "Be careful out there. If you have to, give a shout and we'll come running."

"Thank you, Mage Luna. I fully plan on coming back to everyone with my fur and tail intact!" Oreleth gives a thumbs-up to her, then pads off into the dark tunnel.

.:|Nivirea - The (Felane) Sorceress |:.

"Wait! I'll go with you!" the human-turned-Felane girl suddenly called out, mere moments before Oreleth could disappear into the darkness of the tunnel ahead. "I do not wish to just sit idly by any longer. I hope that's alright?" She looked to Bren as if seeking approval, but she was already on her feet.

Nivirea had spent most of the previous day isolated from the others, in spirit if not physically. Perhaps understandably so, prior to her curse being broken, but also afterwards to a lesser extent. Whenever she wasn't being directly interacted with, she'd be sitting up against some rock at the edge of the group, or huddling close to the fire by herself, lost in thought. Her Felane transformation did not seem to have much effect on her mood - she looked neither happy nor sad - though it did make her possibly even more thoughtful. And when Bria informed them that their new forms were not only temporary but also likely easily dispelled at will, despite her obvious relief she did not jump on the chance to revert back to her old self just yet, either.

So it might have been surprising (and a welcome surprise at that) to see her taking initiative now.

Glancing over at Brendoran, Oreleth says nothing at first, giving a slight shrug as if to say, 'I'm fine with it if you are.'

Bren smiled at Nivirea, pleased to see her volunteering to help.. "Certainly, but do be as quiet as you can. Take all the advantage this new form provides."

Time/Date: Unknown. Last you knew it was mid-afternoon, Monday, 22nd September in the year 1118.
Weather: Snowy in a Loviatar-wants-you-to-die-here kind of snowy. Really, just don't go out there. =)

Oscar smiled at Nivirea's offer to join himself, Oreleth, and Sparkle, and again at Brendoran's approval. It was good to see the Fey-blooded Sorceress's will coming out of the dark morass that Loviatar's curse had so cruelly stepped it in. "Good of you to join us, daughter of magic. Every step you take in effort to assist is another step toward breaking Loviatar's hold on you all."

Oreleth and Nivirea crept onward leaving their fellow Wayward Wanderers far behind. They traveled away from the cliff and columns where they had rested safely under SkySting's protection, down the long slope through tunnels vast that curled and curved often. They were about some 400 feet away from whence they started, their Felane forms large but naturally stealthy as long as they took care. Oreleth and Nivirea noticed the damage to the rock where SkySting had loosed her deadly breath and spell upon the Ankhegs, much to their sorrow.

There, around a slight curve, not 50 feet away from the two shadow-hugging adventurers and their tiny friends, stood perhaps the strangest creatures yet here in Pohjola. Not goblins, not young wargs, but insects that stood upright! Tall and sure like the men and women of Summerset on their golden steppes, blades and bows in strange three-digited hands. A dozen of them, searching in threes. They were studying the blasted bodies of the Ankhegs without a word spoken. Their antennae twitched and their large eyes peered about. One wrong move or sound would betray the Wayward Wanderers, this they knew.

Oscar gulped when he saw them, but stayed quiet as a mouse except for a single whispered word caught by your feline ears. For who could not stare in fascination at what he dubbed, "Thri-kreen!"

Thri-Kreen with Bow at Funnyjunk-dot-com.jpg
(Image credit: Funnyjunk.com )

Thri-Kreen with Spear.jpg
(Image credit: Traditional Games)
GAME DETAILS Location: Pohjola, on a cliff not far from Castle Anguish.
Mode: Exploration
Click Blue Box for Ambiance =)
"D&D Ambiance - Dark, Dank Cave" by Sword Coast Soundscapes

Oreleth says nothing, and even raises up a clawed finger to her lips to indicate to Nivirea and Oscar to not say a word. She then points back the way that they came and slowly nods, trying to indicate that they should make their way back to the others.

Using her Lore: Monsters skill, Oreleth reached back into her mind and remembered this about the enigmatic and dangerous "Mantis Warriors."

The thri-kreen are a race of carnivorous insectmen who inhabit deserts and dry grasslands. They live in small, lightless burrows and are not social creatures. Thri-kreen warriors hunt many creatures, especially elves. These mantis warriors are strong and agile, able to leap 20 feet upward and 50 feet forward. The thri-kreen often use 2 specialized weapons of their own design. One is a polearm with a blade on each end which can be used to slash like a glaive or be thrown as a spear. The other weapon is a small triangular "throwing wedge" carved from a hard crystalline substance. These wedges will return to the thrower and may be caught to be thrown again if they miss their target.

Thri-kreen are highly adept at dodging missiles. Even unarmed, the insect warriors strike with 4 claw, arm-like appendages and bite with their mandibles. Anyone bitten may become paralyzed for a number of rounds.

.:|Nivirea - The (Felane) Sorceress |:.

Nivirea stopped short at spotting the Thri-kreen, her eyes wide open but her body as quiet as possible. She did not move; not even after Oreleth signaled that they should go back.

"You go," she whispered, slowly and carefully pronouncing each syllable so that even someone as close to her as Oreleth would find it difficult to understand her without watching her lips move in addition. "I will watch."

She resolved to stay and keep an eye on the Thri-kreen, confident in her ability to remain undetected.

Oscar and Sparkle slowly turned to Oreleth (though the Arcane Archer could not see the camouflaged Sparkle hiding under the fur on her shoulder).

What does Oreleth do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back