• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here

Mitheral

"Growf!"
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
SIRYg2ZoIEOAD_ii1G0vDrd7mJIie-sas010HL9MQru1Vh9S3VB-ek2hnDXlBaeGRt42t78waO5J0wmpZ9qokN6djqJ1XqufVSWv-01hq56OG3VhKNpBV8yNmP7i8ATViYvcOr8_

Circled around a very long executive conference table nearly two dozen shadowy figures were arranged. In the air over the table was a large holographic display. The current display was a video of one of the cosmically powerful new superhumans named Lava Lord. The readout was overlaid with readings of temperatures, densities, energy emissions, masses.

Voice: “This, gentlemen, is one of the - what shall we call them - Inhumans? Powerful beyond belief, completely unforeseen. Beyond our current means to control. Do you all remember that movie, Man of Steel? This is our Superman. Except that there is no way to be certain he can be reasoned with. We have no way of knowing if he has some strong streak of good. He is a threat to global security. Toward this end we need to find a means of containment, neutralization, or elimination.”

There was a brief illumination of one of the other figures.

Voice: “Yes, Number 7?”

Number 7: “Do we know anything about him? Family? His real identity?”

Voice: “He calls himself Lava Lord. His origins were in Hawaii. His name is Caelan Chan. He is attending Columbia University in New York City where he is majoring in Geology. His address is being added to the display. However, none of you will oppose him directly - on the offhand chance that he could survive and learn of our existence.”

Number 7: We are certain of his identity?”

Voice: “He explained who he was on his college application.”

(dumbfounded silence)

Voice: “The danger lies in the existence of others who still maintain a secret identity. Take this one for instance. Vanguard. Identity unknown. Limitations unknown. Invulnerable, Superhuman strength, flies faster than any air superiority fighter on the planet. He possesses a technology beyond anything known to modern man. All we have is speculation. One thing we do suspect is that he is monitoring all metahumans on the planet.

“Then we have Sovereign. Little is known about him. Citizen of the Empire of Ardael (Transylvania). Possesses superscience on par with Vanguard, perhaps even superior. Ardael, as you all know, is metahuman friendly. It has opened its borders to metahumans to imigrate, with the provision that they observe local laws.

“Junkyard Jane. “Don’t let the name fool you. She may very well be the most powerful metahuman on the planet. We suspect a strong association with Vanguard. Like Vanguard she maintains a secret identity. Her powers have been described as being those of Mother Nature. Mess with her and we may very well endanger the whole planet. She must be approached with extreme caution.

“Read the remaining dossiers. Then place your bids for the contracts.”

(fade scene)

He came out of the sky like a bolt of lightning and hit the ground with a mild thud, landing on his feet in a crouch before standing up. Instantly there was a barrage of autofire from heavy machine guns and single shots from what could only by weapons in the 50 caliber range. On one side of him the spent ammunition began to form a neat pile. He looked down at the fallen law enforcement personnel.

“I’ll have you out of here in a moment.” He opened a blister pouch on his armor and pulled out a few mini O2 tanks with respirators. “Take these. I am going to cocoon you for safety? Anyone claustrophobic?” He got no responses. “Good. Friendly fire - but in a good way.” He dropped a black grenade that exploded into a blackish dust cloud that began to settle on the officers. Then he reached down and picked them up as if they were statues.

A minute later he had the officers safely at the ambulances and released from the cocoons, absorbing the black dust into his armor. Then he turned his attention to the cause of the destruction.

“Who is in charge here?” Vanguard asked.

“That would be me. Commander Tucker,” a man dressed in light tactical gear addressed Vanguard.

“Commander,” Vanguard nodded. “I don’t like stepping on your turf, but you had officers down. Couldn’t just leave them there. As to the rest, I’m not a vigilante. But if you want my help, it is offered. Looks like they have the hostages wired up with demo charges like that bank scene in Hancock. I can diffuse the situation fast.”

“How? One mistake …”

“Commander, the man has a dead man switch. My bet is that he watched the same movie. Tell him you are sending in a Negotiator. I will make certain the charges do not go off. But I am going to need your men to keep the hostages from fleeing the scene and getting out of range of the detonator. I can only stop the explosions temporarily. I’ll have to remove the charges and get them out of here to a safe distance. You might want to keep this area a no fly zone. Fastest direction to send the charges is … up. They’ll detonate before they even stop travelling upwards.”

“Shhhii–” one of the other officers uttered.

“It’s the simple things in life,” Vanguard agreed. “As soon as I am in, your men will be clear to follow me in. Breech any way you like. Their guns won’t work. Yours will if you hold back. They will still have their hands and knives. So, I will need the backup.”

Once he had clearance, Vanguard started with the theatrics. He took his lessons from pros like Mysterio. Smoke and mirrors. He entered the building with a fog rolling all around him.

“That’s far enough!” one of the thugs voices called out. “You know anything about deadman switches?”

“Yes.” Vanguard smiled to himself. Talk was good. Talk meant time. “Let me guess, you watched Hancock too. Detonator thingy. Hostage goo. I’m your Negotiator. What are your demands?”

“Don’t fuck with me - What do you call yourself?” the man demanded.

“Vanguard. You?”

“Not important! Here is what I want! I want you to get rid of all those police out there - including the choppers they have buzzing around! No wait! I want the choppers - minus the pigs!”

Duncan sighed. The man had just changed his mind. Not good. He was being unpredictable, making stuff up as he went. “Right. I can do that. I’ll just tell the Commander out there to pull back his men.”

(5 … 4 … 3 … 2 … 1)

In the distance radios crackled with the command ‘Breech’. SWAT troops started to pour into the hostage scene. The leader of the thugs suddenly found himself face to face with Vanguard up close. Vanguard’s hand had closed around his and the detonator. Black dust flowed from Vanguard’s suit over the man’s hand until it was encased. Then Vanguard just grabbed the man and handed him off to another officer with instruction to hang onto the guy until he had accounted for all the charges.

yutohase yutohase myrkwise myrkwise PlusUltra PlusUltra ithinkcat ithinkcat

Upon the only slightly elevated stage, Lumi stared at the modest crowd of people before her, many of them people she had never even seen before. She supposed this was a good sign - her name seemed to be spreading, after all. That said, she would have to admit that she missed the days when it was just her and her family, enjoying a respite from the world together. Things were far simpler back then, and she had far less people who looked up to her in hope... and disappointment.

But alas, all things must come to an end.

She took a heavy breath and closed her eyes in trepidation, imagining the empty parking lot they were all congregated in glowing in an ethereal blaze, as fantastical illusions resembling mystical creatures of old burst into the air.

Valhalla
(bar in Hell’s Kitchen)
Diane Matthew aka Junkyard Jane

4SHtVRD8i-mjlPcaXyDbe08w9Zlj65Pq29v4Gbh0jRc_lNWD_kJQxQ0Cz4XsSF5WCKV-uXrkFuQ1tig6f454ep3kUQbmVLZb12EOOfsxGR4mF3hg6LJY9RKQUz-1pAsgq9ev_Qbu

Jack Elias

Diane smiled as she sat down at the bar. The bartender, a mild man named Jack Elias, walked over to take her order. He already had a good idea what she was going to order. She never ordered anything alcoholic. And every now and then she would drag in a tall guy (Duncan Moran) who also never ordered anything alcoholic. Jack found Duncan a little annoying with how much he repeated himself about being non alcoholic. At least Diane never asked for a menu though. She had it memorized and knew what she wanted.

Today that was a fruit drink - as usual. Her friend, when he was there, always had a Virgin Mary. Two, in fact. One he would slurp down in seconds. The second he would slow down to try and enjoy. While a bartender shouldn’t play favorites, Diane was just that.

It was a little slow this afternoon so Jack decided to engage in a little conversation. “So, what have we been saving lately?”

“Plum Island, conservatory status is official. Still having trouble with the rest of the world. It isn’t exactly a one person job.” Diane took a sip of her drink.

Jack smiled. “Why do it then? It isn’t as though anyone is thanking you.”

Diane smiled. “True. Actually it could be a self correcting problem.”

“How so?”

“Have you ever watched the movie, Day the Earth Stood Still?” she asked. The question was rhetorical as she explained. “This advanced race comes to save the Earth. At first humans are all afraid and ready to wage war. Then they find out the aliens’ purpose. Saving the Earth sounds good - until they realize that the aliens mean save it from Humans. Get rid of the Humans and the Earth would recover. We keep polluting and the Earth won’t support us any more. But the planet will endure as will some sort of life. It might take a billion years for it to evolve. Men go and come, but Earth abides.”

Jack nodded, “Then why put so much time into recycling?”

“I like the Earth health by current standards - and I like people. Talking to bacteria wouldn’t be anywhere near as stimulating a conversation.”

Jack looked thoughtful and serious. “What if God was one of us? How do you think he would feel?”

Diane gave Jack a long stare. Then she cracked up chuckling. “Thank you Jack! That was pretty good. I see your point.”

“I do my best,” Jack smiled.

Central Park, Forgotten Men's Gulch (Homeless Encampment)

'Yes ill Mar...Belonged to my grandm...bought them for our...wish I could aff...put your valuables in the ba'

Among the mass of mismatched tents, carts, and debris an unmoving girl could be seen sitting across from steadily burning fire, her eyes closed with an expressionless face set like stone illuminated by the flickering beneath her hood. The fire itself was not for her, the cold was unable to reach her since the transformation but for the others within the encampment, it was a needed relief from the bitter elements.

Precious was deep in thought as usual, her senses expanded across the area filling her head with the myriad of voices that were difficult to filter at times, attempting to distract her from the internal debate on her new life's direction. Slowly raising her hand to look at it, she once again wondered what she should do with the new freedom her powers had granted her, despite being free from her previous cage she found the options and possibilities overwhelming, combined with the moral dilemma of separating what she could do, from what she should, and calculating the ensuing potential consequences from each.

While others had gone about some grand show and great feats to become known, the thoughts of those consequences had kept her somewhat grounded, partially out of concern it would cause more trouble overall than it prevented but also partially out of worry that going to such a level might risk losing what grounded her.

She looked around at the various people around her, some coughing and sickly, some empty, others wearily looking at each gathering. The number of homeless seemed to only increase every day, and while she had attempted to aid them the best she could, she consciously kept her efforts somewhat reserved. While she could simply generate the wealth to help she was fully aware of the damage she could do purely on an economic level if she was not careful, but also that simply throwing money at the problem would do little in the long term. There were solutions here that could not be forced, but at the same time would not be accepted and so continuing the cycle.

So she had done small things, ensuring there was enough food, warm clothing, protecting those on the streets and camps from predators, but without some large effort, it was all just stopgaps. Still, for the moment it was the purpose she had found, to care for the forgotten and discarded, to try and offer some semblance of comfort and an ear to listen to their stories while she did her small work where she could.

However, that is not to say she was simply helping those within this encampment, at least one of the benefits of her ability and expanded senses had allowed her to exert her efforts than one place through shimmering dust carrying her will, in the other camps, other streets, keeping a watch and giving safety even if those protected did not know it themselves. This did also involve protecting that outside of the destitute of course, crimes they would commit would only worsen their state and draw ire to the rest, this had also involved removing elements of temptation. The seeking of various harmful substances was nothing new for the city, but she had thought if she could keep these people at least relatively clean internally it might help, though given it was early days it was just showing agitation, for now, being unable to buy, and being unable to steal to do so did make some....upset, but it was for there own good she justified. This was also quite an issue for those who would naturally sell those substances, though the lost profits of the various dealers who pretend on others and were the cause of many here were not something she would loose sleep over...if she even could sleep anymore.

AmeriBank

Downtown Los Angeles

Star Lord and Coldsnap

He came out of the sky like a bolt of lightning and hit the ground with a mild thud, landing on his feet in a crouch before standing up. Instantly there was a barrage of autofire from heavy machine guns and single shots from what could only by weapons in the 50 caliber range. He looked around nonchalantly as bullets simply bounced off his impenetrable skin. His costume wasn’t faring quite so well. Then he looked down at the fallen law enforcement personnel.

“I’ll have you out of here in a moment.” He began snatching heavier caliber bullets out of the air rather than letting them fly past him. Then he smiled. “My turn.” He began flinging spent rounds back through the building at the heads of the robbers. Then he sighed. He spotted the Tac Commander starting to try to talk him out of interfering. The next instant he was in the room with the robbers and hostages.

“That’s far enough!” one of the thugs voices called out. “You know anything about deadman switches?”

“Let me guess. Detonator thingy?. Hostage goo? Go right ahead. But if you ask me, that sounds counterproductive. Dead men don’t spend money.”

“Don’t fuck with me Star Lord! You are my bi–” the man demanded.

One instant Star Lord was across the room. The next he had closed his hand around the hand with the deadman switch. His eyes began to glow and the arm was suddenly burned off at the wrist. The thug screamed.

So did some of the hostages, of course. But their screams were suddenly drowned out by the sounds of a fire alarm going off as the sprinkler system was set off. The other thugs began to use some of the hostages as shields.

Star Lord didn’t do a thing. He just smiled. “Boys, I would suggest you release those hostages - or you are all going to experience a Coldsnap.”

Coldsnap was a superpowered vigilante with the ability to assume the form of ice or water. She was positively lethal, every bit as much so as Star Lord. On cue, water flowed over one of the men and froze him solid.

“She doesn’t have my patience.” Star Lord’s eyes began to glow.

London, Britain

Sandman

~ ~ ~​

Grym whistled, looking around. Gasps came from everywhere in the room, "Damn.. This is one hell of a scene to cause.. And for what?" He said, a cold smile etching it's way into his lips. The one with the gun immediately pointed it at Grym, "Hold it! Who the fuck do you think you are?! Do you know who I am?!" He shouted. Grym locked eyes with the man, slowly removing his sunglasses to reveal his icy eyes. The criminal took a sharp intake, "Well?" The thug barked. Several other thugs surrounded the room, with a mass amount of hostages. "Mark Lee Watson. Age 28, Caucasian Male. You lived with your parents until you were 21, and have a girlfriend named Polly. You live near Bromley. Yes, I know you. And you'll know me once we're done here!" Grym stated, chuckling as 'Mark' gasped, and grabbed a hostage desperately. Grym's facial expression got a little more serious, but the smile stuck. "D-don't get closer! Who are you?!" He demanded. Grym shook his head, "I.. Am Sandman." They said. The room went quiet.

Grym laughed to themselves, as a swarm of unknown powders swarmed the room, causing confusion. Mark about pulled the trigger, but not before Grym snatched the gun, and punched him straight in the nose. "Oooh.. That's gotta hurt" They sneered, as the room cleared. Every thug was on the ground, and running could be heard. "Well! That's my que!" Grym muttered, quietly escaping through a window. The night was crisp and cold. He dangled his legs while watching the police do their jobs, "Idiots.." He muttered, just before hopping down and landing on a landline wire. They walked across it, humming as they hopped into a window back to their apartment. Simon wasn't home. "Well, I didn't think that the world would have this much crime.. Two muggings, one hostage situation, and a stabbing. God damn" He said to himself.

"Yeah, crazy right? It's almost like the police WANT you to help them out" A sarcastic voice replied. Turns out Simon was home. Grym jumped, almost dropped the bowl they had grabbed, "Jesus! For a blind man you sure know how to be quiet" He muttered, and Simon sighed. "How was it?" Simon asked, sitting down. Grym shrugged, "Eh.. Nothing unusual. They always think they have the upper hand, and can get away with it all" He responded, putting an instant noodle cup in the microwave. He slid the bowl to Simon, who got up to make a salad.

Just as Grym went for a bite, his phone buzzed. He groaned, silently cursing. "Well, looks like someone's tryna rob me of my time off" He muttered, standing. Simon snorted, "Have fun!" He shouted, as Grym snatched their mask and jumped out the window, "I always do!" They replied, just before disappearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back