• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy cast my shadows on the fires of war | Dragon Riders

Interest Check

Drekasal

King of Dragons

• intro

fires of war

kelli schaefer

premise.

O
    n the day of Ragnarök, the sun and moon were swallowed whole, plunging the Nine Realms into darkness. The gates of Hel flooded open, drowning the earth in a sea of vengeful corpses. Gods and monsters met each other on the field of battle, both falling in the end. The world tree would finally splinter and break, and all would perish between fire and ice. And so, the world ended just as it had began, in chaos and destruction.

But the end is merely another beginning, a part of the grand cycle of birth, growth, death, and rebirth. As once was the world born from chaos, so too would the new one be, under the light of a new dawn, a new sun, a new promise of life. Things would never be as they were before, but the hope of what lay ahead was all that mattered, under the branches of the reborn Tree of Life.

In the absence of the gods, however, new defenders would be needed, and so arose the Vorðnir—the guardians of Yggdrasil, noble warriors to the last breath, the last bastion standing against the armies of chaos. Yet this battle they would not face wholly alone, for at their sides stood the mightiest of beasts: dragons. Powerful creatures of the old world, now poised to safeguard what remains.

Together, dragons and riders take to the skies, and for a millennium they have fought, until at last, it seems, order has finally returned to Yggdrasil. Yet peace is a fragile thing, and beyond the borders, the shadows creep, biding their time. A prophecy warns of an ancient foe, threatening to undo all they have worked to build, even as simmering tensions already tear the Realms apart.

For the Vorðnir to prevail, they must stand united, and stay fast to their purpose, lest they and all who live be overtaken by the darkness to come...

intro

roles

rules

cast my shadows

on the
fires of war

genre

mythology, fantasy

status

accepting

gms

drekasal

spots open

6/7

question

answer

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:
Some of the links don't work. How are riders chosen and what are the dragons like in this world?

Some of the links don't work. How are riders chosen and what are the dragons like in this world?

I hear you! I have yet to make the CS and OOC threads, which is why those links don't work, but I'll try and have them up as soon as possible!

As far as how dragons will be approached in this, they take their inspiration primarily from their Scandinavian and Icelandic interpretations, as well as some borrowing from other neighboring European mythos. The main dragons I envision seeing used within the Vorðnir are your traditional "true" dragons (four legs, two wings) alongside wyverns (two legs, two wings), but other dragon types—wyrms and knuckers (great serpents who live deep in the earth or under the waves) and drakes (feral, four legged beasts that prowl the wilderness)—exist out in the wilds.

The bond between dragon and rider takes many forms, but at the moment, how I see the standard practice within the Order is that that the older generation of dragons will time their layings, so that when the time comes the eggs will all be gathered for a mass Hatching. New prospects chosen beforehand by the Vorðnir are brought forward when this occurs, all of whom may potentially find a hatchling who will imprint on them, but it is not a guarantee.

I am also interested, and I want to ask;

Are dragons "playable characters" or are you regarding them more as npcs? Do we play our character's dragon, or do we have the opportunity to pair a dragon character with someone else's character?

I am also interested, and I want to ask;

Are dragons "playable characters" or are you regarding them more as npcs? Do we play our character's dragon, or do we have the opportunity to pair a dragon character with someone else's character?

An excellent question that I am glad you brought up!

Dragons in-universe are treated as characters as well, though for the sake of efficiency, they won't have a separate form in the CS thread, although they will have a mini-bio section you can fill in for them attached to the main form. During the roleplay, however, players can develop them further as individuals alongside their rider counterparts.

That said, having two players roleplay a rider and dragon separately as a team isn't completely off the table, but that would require coordination and communication between the two parties, and if one half is absent for any length of time, that could potentially be an issue for the other half as they'd have to wait before being able to progress further.

Getting some major Eragon vibes o3o.

You wouldn't be wrong on that front! I also drew some inspiration from the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffery!

Also, to everyone else, I'm currently working on the CS thread and should have it up fairly soon!

i'm just throwing some placeholders up for now until I have some free time today to work on sheets~

This looks very exciting! Will there be a lore page that explains the Vorðnir and world a bit more? Regions and whatnot?

This looks very exciting! Will there be a lore page that explains the Vorðnir and world a bit more? Regions and whatnot?
That is definitely the intent, although that may take a bit longer to put together. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to really flesh out the world as much as I wanted in the original version of this back on FeralFront, and given this is an adaptation I may have to do some work-shopping. I do hope to get that thread up as soon as possible, however!

When are SVENNIR chosen and at what age are they usually paired with a dragon for training? Also, how fast do dragons grow/mature?

When are SVENNIR chosen and at what age are they usually paired with a dragon for training? Also, how fast do dragons grow/mature?

So sorry for this late response, I was eating dinner!

In my head, Svennir are chosen from an age as early as ten to their early twenties, with the former being more common. Dragons, coincidentally, take about ten years to grow to maturity, so in the best case scenario where a dragon is hatched to a young Svenn, that means the mental age difference will not be as vast, and both will be considered full fledged members by the time those ten years have passed.

So sorry for this late response, I was eating dinner!

In my head, Svennir are chosen from an age as early as ten to their early twenties, with the former being more common. Dragons, coincidentally, take about ten years to grow to maturity, so in the best case scenario where a dragon is hatched to a young Svenn, that means the mental age difference will not be as vast, and both will be considered full fledged members by the time those ten years have passed.
Oh, I see. I will likely need to edit some things then. I had thought they matured much quicker like something out of Eragon or His Majesty's Dragon.

Oh, I see. I will likely need to edit some things then. I had thought they matured much quicker like something out of Eragon or His Majesty's Dragon.

I did consider that angle myself! In the end, I kinda felt that those examples felt a bit too rushed for me, but I also didn't want the early life cycle to be too long either, so I thought ten years would be a fair enough compromise.

That said, Hatchings are not the only way for bonds to occur! I do have a character of my own planned who was actually raised by a dragon themself before the two of them joined the Vorðnir, so maybe that might offer some musing ideas!

I did consider that angle myself! In the end, I kinda felt that those examples felt a bit too rushed for me, but I also didn't want the early life cycle to be too long either, so I thought ten years would be a fair enough compromise.

That said, Hatchings are not the only way for bonds to occur! I do have a character of my own planned who was actually raised by a dragon themself before the two of them joined the Vorðnir, so maybe that might offer some musing ideas!

Is there any magical aspect to the bond?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back