• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Ash & Moonlight

Grey said:
It's a fine idea. Tell me more about it.
Well, let me see. She's based on a character I use(d) in a story with a friend. Whether we'll continue writing that or not, I don't know, but she's an interesting character.

For very silly reasons; wanting to learn the truth about her mother after she came back for her after 150 years (elves xD ), she got exiled from her clan. Translated to human years she was only about 12-13 years old. She traveled with her mother for a couple of years (only 1 in human years), but then her mom got killed. From that moment on, this little girl had to fend for herself in a quite dangerous world. With her little bit of bard-skills she got, she traveled around trying to make a living. Then, at some point later, she accidentally got herself caught up in a plot against some noblemen, and a group of spies trying to prevent the plot from succeeding. Since she knew too much, but had shown some skill (and she was still an innocent looking kid) the spies took her in and taught her what they knew. She worked her way up to become the Spymaster of the/a kingdom at the age of, again in human years, 16.

Pretty much nobody expects an innocent girl to be the Spymaster, and it really helps she keeps traveling around as a bard too. Over the course of years, she has basically lost every friend she had. Either because they got killed, or because they turned their backs on her when they learned more about her past.

She's really good at keeping up the innocent girl image, always pretending she doesn't get any sexual jokes (but in fact knowing EXACTLY what people mean). She always smiled and always seems optimistic. Truth about this is that her optimism is the only thing keeping her from depression, and she doesn't want others to see her pain. And she doesn't want others to suffer the same pain she did either, so she is willing to fight to make the world a better place and to keep everyone happy.

She has seen a whole lot of shit, suffering, pain, loss, and all the like. And she's a little afraid of the point where it will get all too much for her and she'll either snap or break down. Because she's well aware she can't keep her mask up forever. Also, she does get pissed off occasionally. And when she does, run like hell, 'cause she'll turn emotionless and possibly merciless.

In the spoiler is a little example of a scene from her past (warning: it's quite a long bit of text)

There was a soft knock on the door before it was carefully opened. Nanaya sat in the candlelit room, watching the man who was brought in. The man nervously looked around, clearly not sure what to think or expect. One of the guards in the corner or the room instinctively reached for his sword as he recognized Orrick Amaranth, one of the most infamous criminals of the Marshes. Nanaya quickly raised her hand in a sign for him to sheath his blade. Nanaya gave the man a half smile, though it was doubtful he could see it.

“Who are you?” Orrick asked. “Why am I here?”

“Oh, I think you know the answer to both these questions very well, Orrick,” Nanaya spoke calmly. “Although I must say I likely know more about you than you know about me.”

The man’s eyes widened and he made a small, quick step back, only to feel the two guards behind him, blocking the door leading back out of the room.

“Don’t be such a coward, Orrick. You know you can’t get out of here unless I let you,” she jumped off the desk she had been sitting on and stepped towards him to get a better look at him, and to give him the chance to take a somewhat closer look at her as well.

“You are…” Orrick started as he got a glance at her eyes.

“Yes? I am what?” Nanaya remained calm, but the tone of her voice was sharp as a knife. “You know it very well, don’t you? Tell me now, are you afraid? Does it frighten you to know I only need to lift my hand to end your life, right here on the spot?”

“I… I apologize, my lady. Had I known… If I had known it was you I wouldn’t…” Orrick started.

“You wouldn’t have tried?” Nanaya had to only slightly raise her voice to see the man try and back away even further. “Save me your excuses. That’s what they all say. You are not here for me to decide what’s to become of you. Had that been my intention I would have delivered you to lord and lady Ashwell. Or make sure you would have gone on a little trip into the Marshes. You’re here because I need information. Information that you have.”

“And what if I won’t cooperate?” Orrick said, though he very well realized he was in no position to negotiate.

“Well then you leave me no choice but to deal with you some other way. The guards here certainly wouldn’t mind dealing with you. And the bounty on your head certainly isn’t small either,” Nanaya said, still very calm. “The choice is entirely yours, Orrick.”

The silence that followed was deafening and seemed to last for hours, though it lasted for only a few moments. Orrick quickly considered his options and chances, and ended his thinking with a deep sigh.

“What information do you need, my lady?” he said.
And here's what happened to mr. Amaranth, muhahaha xD

“Useful information should be given a proper reward, shouldn’t it?” Nanaya said with a sweet voice as she walked back to the desk. Orrick’s face flushed bright red, and Nanaya could almost hear the sweat roll down his face.

“A… reward, my lady?” he asked carefully.

Nanaya suppressed a small chuckle. She knew very well what kind of reward he was hoping to receive, especially after what he had tried before. She picked up a stack of papers, bound in a leather map.

“A reward indeed,” Nanaya said as she sat down on the desk again and crossed her legs. “You see this here?” she said as she waved the papers. “These are the records of your criminal deeds.”

Orrick swallowed and simply stared at Nanaya and the papers she was holding. He gave a small nod, but said not a word.

“Let’s see…” Nanaya said as she flipped through the pages, occasionally making disapproving noises. “Several muggings, robbery, bribe…More than once case of rape,” she looked sharply at Orrick as she mentioned the last one. Then she casually tossed the stack of papers into the fire. “Oops. There went the evidence.”

Orrick stared at her, a puzzled look on his face. He had no idea what to think or how to respond to what he had just seen.

“So my reward…” he started.

“Is your freedom,” Nanaya filled in. “I could have just decided to hand you over to the lord and lady anyway, or have you killed, but I did not. You may leave, although I do want to make sure there are a few things you get very clearly.”

She signaled the guard in the corner of the room, who then walked over and drew his dagger. Orrick’s eyes grew big in fear as the two guards behind him grabbed his arms to prevent his escape.

“One: nobody gets away with trying to rape me. Besides that, I just want to make sure you do not try doing it to anyone else again,” Nanaya spoke calmly, the tone of her voice cold and harsh. She closed her eyes as Orrick’s terrified scream of pain filled the room and winched lightly at the sound.

“Two: if you tell anyone what you have seen here, or drop even the slightest hint as of who I am, you will not see the light of another day,” she said as the room had quieted down again. She then gave a nod to the two guards holding Orrick and they dragged him out of the room.

Mind you, @Grey, I do still have the original map file from the last game. I am perfectly willing to tweak it as needed. It would also give me great pleasure to add in the Eastern Swamps, courtesy of @TheMadIceCreamMan *rawrrr*

VnKjHXP.jpg

Bone2pick said:
I'm not sure if I should pitch a character for this or wait for something more traditional from you Grey. But I am intrigued by this, even if it is vague and confusing.
My more traditional stuff all uses dice. This is possibly the closest you'll get.

For a little more clarity - the characters are a rag-tag bunch of misfits, outcasts, and adventurous types who've been offered a job by a cartographer. In addition to be about the development of your characters and a slow-burn plot, it's also about discovering the blank spaces on the map.

And thanks for that, Wolf.

@marorda I'd prefer to avoid traditional fantasy races like elves, or anything that's too familiar, but it's conceptually reasonable.

Non-humans are fine. You're free to come up with whatever you like, I'd just prefer it be as original as possible. Assuming an infinite universe it can't be that original, but you know, at least an interesting twist on the old ways.

I'll have something up later. It'd be good to see people filling out their Tags already, though.

@marorda , why not try to make your own? I just took a picture and created an entire culture of people off of it. Give it a shot, find some sort of inspiration picture or description, and maybe it doesn't have to be an elf exactly, it's a human that's physical features have altered because of how and where they live. Pointy ears and big eyes from living in caves for centuries, or long fingers and limbs because they live in the swamps and adapted to the deep and slimy waters. I'm sure you can think of something :)

@marorda - off the top of my head; a race of forest-dwellers that evolved from wolves and worship the moon. Pointy ears, long lives, live in woods, sharp senses... sound familiar? Plus the odd bit of lycanthropy.

Alternatively, a people who live below the smoke and need what are effectively diving suits to leave it.

A ND with that I mean the wolf people

Named them and described them ^_^

Briefly.

Elunars

The Elunars are a quite tribal race of forest-dwellers. Stories say they have originally evolved from wolves, but Elunars themselves believe they are the descendants of Kaloran, Goddess of the Moon. Their lifespan is averagely twelve times longer than a human’s. They have keen senses, sharp facial features and long pointed ears.

When in serious danger, they transform to their feral forms in which they have sharp teeth and claws.

Their yellow to green eyes seem to glow faintly in the nighttime.

so this, with my backstory, would be an okay character?

Yeah, probably fine - what can you tell me about the reasons for the her exile and the kingdom for which she is spymaster?

Why would a spymaster be hired to accompany a cartographer into dangerous and unknown territory?

Hrm. A friend streamed Dark Souls andI'm imagining the likes of Kino no Tabi and Mushishi. Is that off-base?

Tentiatively putting forward a light-dowser or a messenger person who would travel enough for the cartographer to consider hiring.

The Whispering Marshes

swamp__mps_lands__by_adampaquette-d6i1lxu.jpg

The Whispering Marshes are located in the south of High Lontarn. It starts with relatively safe marshes where the people can live. But the deeper one goes into the Marshes, the swampier it gets. The Deep Marshes have several places the light has never touches, or at least not in several decades. The Deep Marshes are also full of dangerous wildlife, quicksand, fog, and poisonous gasses and plants. When you get lost in there, you’ll never get out again. The safest passage is with an experienced guide, and those are quite rare. The safest way to travel is by boat, as the chances of getting trapped in quicksand are no longer a matter to worry about.

Many criminals are sent on “trips” into the Marshes, where they are left to die.

Especially during nighttime the swamps are not safe for anyone. Besides many places the light hasn’t touched, there are many lost souls and rotting corpses in the swamps that get quite active when the Dream is active. Hence the name Whispering Marshes.
10463-bigthumbnail.jpg

The safest place by far is Maren Alran, an ancient city from a long forgotten society. This city is built within and around a huge tree. This is also where the family who rules the Marshes live: Lord and Lady Vaughan.

trees%20fantasy%20art%202560x1600%20wallpaper_www.wallpaperto.com_10.jpg

It is also home to an organization of guides, assassins, and spies.

A fine example of what dwells at night:

swamp_beast_by_thephoenixdark-d5ist9s.png

I hope you guys like it

\^_^/

@Grey , here's the very basest Tags for my character, I can expand on each when the time comes

Archetype
- Far-Wandering Guide

Homeland - The Seeping Desert

Motivation - Discovery

Gear - Caravan Guard

History - Outcast

Failing - Overeager

Oh! I'll post mine too ^_^

Archetype - Bard-Spymaster (latter unknown since she hides it)

Homeland -
The Whispering Marshes

Motivation -
Curiousity

Gear -
Elunar Lute, Bard Outfit, Spymaster Tools

History
- Exile, Abandoned, Lost Loved Ones

Failing -
Fragile, Mask, Unstable

Here is my entry info..

Archetype: Exotic-Collector

Homeland: Meadow of the March {Has Left}

Motivation:Exploration.

Gear: Ragged log book

History: Enraged

Failing: Curiosity

Integrity: Mostly Sane

Last edited by a moderator:
wolf people, w00t! *awooooo*

i luv it

Not that I was particularly skilled at choosing and using Tags - I am about to play this game for the third time and I am struggling with them as much as on the first one - but I do believe you are supposed to only pick a single tag for each field.

I see people are making this mistake mostly for Gear. This is not an inventory list people. You are supposed to pick one very specific, important thing in your possession that is key to who you are or what you represent. It can be a collection of items, sure, but not the entire contents of your backpack. On my last character I had the Gear: Sol Weapons & Armor, because he was a knight of the Order of Sol and the weapons and armor he used were very specific to it.

[QUOTE="Wolf Rawrrr]wolf people, w00t! *awooooo*
i luv it

Not that I was particularly skilled at choosing and using Tags - I am about to play this game for the third time and I am struggling with them as much as on the first one - but I do believe you are supposed to only pick a single tag for each field.

I see people are making this mistake mostly for Gear. This is not an inventory list people. You are supposed to pick one very specific, important thing in your possession that is key to who you are or what you represent. It can be a collection of items, sure, but not the entire contents of your backpack. On my last character I had the Gear: Sol Weapons & Armor, because he was a knight of the Order of Sol and the weapons and armor he used were very specific to it.

[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I messed this up the first time too, but for this one, picking a general proficiency sweep like "Caravan Guard", for example, covers a lot of facets and equipment usage. Like, it could imply use and care of pack-animals due to them making up the bulk of a caravan, and being a guard implies use of defensive weapons against surprise attacks and bandits/monsters.

So, I assume that's why Grey would want such broad strokes for a Gear tag, in fact, the broader you make the topic, the more possibilities you have of being able to use stuff well, rather than being highly skilled in just a handful of equipment.

Aye, keeping it broad or alternatively iconic is good.

For example, Caravan Guard might be 'Guard's Spear' or 'Guard's Shield' .

And while you can leave it as is, I'm gong to picture him as having a pocket with a tiny caravan guard in it.

Grey said:
Aye, keeping it broad or alternatively iconic is good.
For example, Caravan Guard might be 'Guard's Spear' or 'Guard's Shield' .

And while you can leave it as is, I'm gong to picture him as having a pocket with a tiny caravan guard in it.
Noted, I'll adjust it then. I mentally had him armed with a primitive rifle and bayonet as his weapon, so probably Rider's Rifle would be more accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back