• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Ash & Moonlight

Grey

Dialectical Hermeticist

ASH AND MOONLIGHT

Smoke drifts down, and wraps around my ankles,

As if calling me back to the streets I knew so well,

But no one at home would listen

To the music that rose from the shell.

So I said goodbye to home and hearth,

And the serpent that guarded the well.

Set out to find my fortune, or die

Or bring back a story to tell.

Because no one at home would listen

To the music that rose from the shell,

As it sang of ash and moonlight

And gods under ocean swell.

- Wanderer's Song, Traditional

Exploration and Discovery: The world is a strange place, even without leaving your home city. Night-time streets that twist on themselves and weeping wraiths are matter-of-fact, smoke that falls like water and voices on the wind. What greater oddities lie beyond the walls, to be found and perhaps harnessed?

Beauty and Horror: Inspired by works such as Dark Souls, Dishonored, Tim Lebbon's Fallen, Lovecraft's Dreamland Cycle, this game will involve a world of things terrible and wonderful

Loss and Melancholy: Taking tonal cues from things like Dear Esther, Ryu Murakami, and some of my own work, this game will never be anything more cheerful than bittersweet.

Willingness to work with me in filling out some setting details while making character backstories, and tolerance for never being absolutely sure where the end goal is or what must be done, and plenty of initiative are all vital.

Will use a limited, diceless system for violent encounters and attempts at magic.

Characters will be mostly average folks who, by ambition or inducement, are going on a voyage of discovery.

Ideally 4 to 5 players.

Your character, mechanically, uses 6 Tags for influencing a situation - one word or a short phrase to encapsulate what it is.

The Tag categories are:

Archetype - This is a combination of profession and demeanour, examples being things like Weird-worker, Rat-catcher, Stoic guardian, and so on.

Homeland - Local knowledge, customs, wildlife, and things one needs to know for living in a specific environment, with skills naturally transferable elsewhere, like swimming. Naming the homeland here is sufficient as a Tag.

Motivation - Why are they doing what they're doing? Profit, revenge, faith?

Gear - A specific item or set of items in your characters possession, such as grandfather's sword, assassin's tools, alchemist's satchel, witches scrimshaw

History - This one is a bit trickier. If you can think of a defining moment in their history, or common theme, such as betrayed, abandoned, orfeared.

Failing - A particular weakness of your character. Are they a coward? Wrathful? Tactless?

A Tag can influence a situation negatively or positively, and sometimes it'll do a little of both.

There is one final 'Tag', Integrity. Every character begins with an Integrity of 'Mostly Sane'

Over-exposure to the Dream can change this, as can using forbidden magics, or emotional/physical trama. This influences how you see the world and how people react to you. A character whose Integrity has perhaps slipped to Paranoid will get the impression NPCs are plotting against them, while the rest of the party relatively unbiased descriptions.

Example Locations:

• High Lontarn is the largest city of the north, a vast industrial hub built on high metal struts, lit by harsh bottled light from the mines below. It rises over the desolate plain of the northern heartland and bleeds smoke onto the ground.

The upper streets, raised high over the smoke, are still grimy and narrow. Buildings of red brick and cast iron, streets of sheet metal hammered to resemble cobblestones. Homes for the wealthy, workshops and libraries, and the factories which dump their smoke into The Murk.

The Murk is a slum; shanty houses squatting in the shadow of the upper town, the streets choked with smoke such that one needs a gasmask to go out at all. This is where the outcast and impoverished live, the most downtrodden miners and labourers.

High Lontarn is also home to the Cathedral of the Caged Heart, the seat of the north's dominant religion. The church itself houses the Heart, beating slowly and sensually within its reinforced cage at the apex of the vaulted ceiling.

When the sun falls below the horizon, the Dream rises, and really, the Dream had never left.

Wherever light does not shine, there is the Dream. It is best not to consider those places the light of the sun has never touched.

During the Dream, distances and edges blur. Sounds become muffled or too-loud, or echo strangely. Motions leave coloured contrails in the air. Sometimes Glassies even swim through the thick air of the Dream. Light and colours and sounds emanate out of the darkness. Motes of green fire dance gaily around people as they sleep.

On the downside, the Dream varies in intensity, and when the Dream is strong, terrible things can happen. Corpses rise and rampage, compelled by some unknown intelligence. Machines come to life, briefly, and often take revenge on their owners for an eternity of slavery. Worse things than these exist, but are poorly documented.

However, what little magic people can work is best worked during the Dream, the stronger the better, catching little shreds of Dreamstuff in the act of creation.

Smoke falls. This is the way of things. Like water it drifts down and flows in currents. Rivers of smoke from some distant land can be found sometimes, or perhaps from somewhere else? Whole ecosystems have sprung up within and around such things, mostly the graceful sootrats, diminutive winged rodents that can swim through smoke, and the gossamer-thin smokespiders that tread delicately on the surface of the smoke itself.

Magic is... uncertain. More rural communities remain convinced that magic is real, and will often have a village weird-worker who my or may not be able to make little spells and charms. Urban communities tend not to be so superstitious, for the most part, but there is always a customer to be found.

Magic is a matter of ritual and sacrifice; you don't get something for nothing. It's hard to do, slow, expensive, and sometimes you can't be sure it even worked. Most magic takes the form of physical objects - string-bone-and-wood charms, tightly wound scrolls, intricate tattoos on the skin of some dread monster sewn into the flesh.

Of course, there is another kind of magic. Drawing directly on the power of the dream to effect wondrous, sorcerous feats. But this is not safe, not easy, and certainly not without risk. Inviting the Dream into oneself will, ultimately, drive someone mad or hollow them out. Rare individuals of singular will can control the Dream with skill and safety... for a while. Naturally such people are rare, and according to stories they don't die, they simply... go away.

Drawing on the power of the Dream is not safe, not at all. Each time it is used, it applies a little mark to your Integrity - accrue enough marks, and your Integrity slips. Six, to be precise. But the unfortunate thing is that your powers become greater in the process, it becomes easier and more tempting to keep drawing on the Dream.

Dream Sorcery is less effective in the light and might not work at all, and only in small ways. During the Dream is can dangerous to everyone around and hard to control. Dream Sorcerors are rare as a result, individuals of considerable skill and willpower. Some of the best ways to maintain control over the Dream is though self-mutilation; a grounding in the physical and application of ensorcelled piercings, tattoos, or other things. The Wardens of the Ashen Wood, for example, ritually cut out an eye and replace it with a stone retrieved from deep within the Dream - this is less effective than it sounds, but the method is not without merit.

Most who work with the Dream are called Weirdsmiths, shaping the raw essence of the Dream into wondrous artifacts. Safer than Sorcery, but not by much.

Pretty sure I signed up for this the first time this came around, I'd like to see this one up and running again :) Gonna throw my name in the hat here.

Always admired your work, and I think this time, I'd like to ask if I may join.

Good, good. Let's see some character ideas, folks. Show me you're serious.

Quick question, Grey, what is the height of modern technology in this setting? I kind of pictured as having a Victorian-noir feel somehow, are inventions such as steam-power and gunpowder applicable or is this more primitive than that?

Steampower and gunpowder are a-ok, yep. Even some primitive electrical devices.

Feel free to take some liberties, though - this is very intentionally a shared setting you guys can add details to. The Glassy Coast was @Doctor Calgori 's work, and Eastvale is adapted from a location @Wolf Rawrrr donated. I may even go back and get some of the places from the more recent attempt to run it.

For some references; smoke behaves sort of like water in this setting, falling instead of rising, flowing in rivers. Light can be mined from deep underground - somehow. I'm leaving some stuff vague.

Works for me, I'll have a charrie sketch up shortly.

One more quick Q: how's the global bestiary? Are many/any creatures that we would consider "supernatural" in the here-now common in this world, is there any opening for weird-based eldritch creatures/pets, or are they shunned and abhorred by the human species?

Last edited by a moderator:
My idea is a spymaster bard with a history of being exiled, abandoned, betrayed and have lots of people close to her dying. She keeps an optimistic attitude, but it's mostly a mask to hide her pain and because she doesn't want other to suffer. O would love to say more, but I'm away for the weekend and currently waiting for my train. So I won't be back until Sunday evening

Stickdom said:
Works for me, I'll have a charrie sketch up shortly.

One more quick Q: how's the global bestiary? Are many/any creatures that we would consider "supernatural" in the here-now common in this world, is there any opening for weird-based eldritch creatures/pets, or are they shunned and abhorred by the human species?
Almost no animals in this world would be entirely familiar - close to real world ones, but distinctly weird. So a strange little pet is acceptable.

So, a creature of mount-size is possible as well? I wasn't going to make it too "overpowered", just found an interesting pic that gave me inspiration for a culture they would be used as pack animals in.

omg you know wolfe is in just hope it lasts this time like third times the charm right

u dont need to see my char trust me i have something good planned

will post him as soon as game is up woof woof

Grey said:
Pitch, and I'll help with refinement.
d695342341f2acc9619d78ffcf442edd.jpg
Nomadic desert culture, wandering merchants and traders. The terrain depicted is not snow (as the artist originally intended), but smoke-covered, like wading in a shallow pool. The sky almost always covered in thick dark clouds that choke out the light, killing most vegetation, but acting as an insulator, keeping the majority of the heat enclosed under the cloud-cover. The main reason of the tribe's survival is their adeptness in finding the "wraiths" (or whatever variety of Dream-haunt you would prefer to insert), via their mounts, a typically docile species known as Inths, whose are somnivores, devourers of the Dream, or at least the residue left by denizens thereof. The nomads utilize this in their trade by offering safe passage across the arid wastes of sand and smoke, as well as the creature's sturdiness as a pack animal to haul their portable shelters, equipment, and passengers.

So, that's the basics, have at it and lemme know what you think :)

Any news on this, Grey? Wasn't sure if I had missed the posting of the threads or if it was still a WIP :)

Waiting on acceptable displays of sincerity. You and Wolf are in.

Others must prove themselves.

Grey said:
Waiting on acceptable displays of sincerity. You and Wolf are in.
Others must prove themselves.
It is my pleasure to present material that is acceptable to your RPs, O Grey //lololol//

@Grey what about me? I posted my character idea, but as I mentioned I was away and I only returned today (to find the site not working for me)

marorda said:
@Grey what about me? I posted my character idea, but as I mentioned I was away and I only returned today (to find the site not working for me)
It's a fine idea. Tell me more about it.

I'm not sure if I should pitch a character for this or wait for something more traditional from you Grey. But I am intrigued by this, even if it is vague and confusing.

I shall create something to prove my worth.

• Whispers of the Swamp

The man sat in the dark corner of the tavern. He pulled out his cigar and blew out a puff of smoke. His drink had yet to be touched. He was looking forward not at the the tavern owner or women. His view was placed somewhere far away. Three would be youthful adventures sat in the bar counter uttering word of false valor and pride. Their words would be of no interest usually to the man. Then from their lips slip out words that secure the man's fear.

"You stupid fools have never been the Eastern Swamps! No soul ever leaves from there! I blame the Gacetor. Beasts hunt in packs." uttered one of the youths as he sloshed his drink left to right making a mess.

"No I tell you it be wild tribes. Good strong men have went and I bet my coin that a pack of Gacetor couldn't stop them." back talked another of the youth who attempted to drink out is mug that was long empty. The third of the bunch stood up, "You all are wrong. It is simple a death trap that you get lost in until rot away." he spoke as if he knew the swamps well.

The man looked the group of fools as they were charged with the highest crime. He pulled out his cigar and blew out one last puff, "You all are fools! You speak like you have stepped foot in the demon's domain!" he screamed. He couldn't allow for such false knowledge to float around.

The three looked over to the man in his corner in shock. His face was hidden in darkness and the cloud of smoke he created with his eyes seeming to beam through at the three of them. The drunkest of the bunch stood up as if insulted, "Who are you to call me a fool?" he belched

The man didn't stir from his position. "I'm the man who has exited those very swamps and knows of their true horror." he spoke calmly as he picked up his cigar and gave it another puff. "The meadow is the grave of most of those men."

The three chuckled in response like they heard pure comedy exit the man's lips. "We speak of a fierce swamp not a meadow. What man, no what fool would die in such a place." said one with a cocky grin as he questioned the man.

The man slammed his fists on the table. "Shut your jaws you fools and maybe my words will find their way to your ears. I will tell you of the souls that rot. Understood?" he said in a disgruntled fashion as he sucked on his cigar again.

The drunkard sat down and another spoke up. "Fine then go ahead and speak of your tale." he said as he sipped on his drink.

The man blew out a large puff of smoke.

"The will to live and prosper. Those are the grandest traits that the Dream does indeed embrace in man. Trek through the muck and pools of poison for many days. The environment is not one that supports the life of man as we know. If the swamp fails to drive you to insanity or to claim your very soul then you must have a strong will to live and prosper. The place you are headed to is certainly for you. As you get deeper in the swamp won't let up in its pursuit as it eats away at you and your mind. Once you hit the brink and can only trug along the mist shall peel away to reveal the heart of the swamp lands. In front of you shall be the lush fields of gracious green and sky of brilliant blue. The meadow. You think the swamp as claimed you and heaven as claimed. You think you see but an illusion of want you. You would be best lest you step into the illusion. Turn back to the swamp's embrace. Still your mind and body are weak. Ahead you see the pure flowing waters in the meadow. It is only natural that you would wish to revive your self in its waters. Drink from the stream you shall but note it is as good as snake's blood. You walk deeper into the meadow's embrace and find at the heart of it a simple village. Turn back you should as the swamp is better. As you approach the humble village its residents clamber towards you in high spirits. They praise and glorify you as if royalty has stepped on their soils. Accordingly you are treated as such when they treat you to a feast. You dine on grape wine and devour delectable roasted four toothed boar. It is all so grand and warm, the opposite of the swamp that borders the meadow. Any man of simple logic would think to question this heaven in hell but your mind is stuck in the illusion. The town's folk ask you to meet their blessed one. It to wishes to treat you with praise and joy for your trek through the swamp. They bring you to their tallest building in the fine shape of a church. The only building of stone in the village and the only lacking windows. The put a blindfold over your eyes saying it is a town ritual. Who are you to think the people of the town wish you ill when they fattened you with hospitality. You enter the structure in full hope of more praise. You remove the blindfold and see their blessed one. You finally understand but the doors are locked behind you. That day red water runs and the sound of crunching fills their humble village in their humble meadow in its humble swamp. Darkness is your new embrace forever more."

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back