• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

sek_cloe.png

Lady Aria d'al Brakava of Lancaster
Cornet of His Tierran Majesty's Royal Dragoons

"Of course I will." Not an ounce of hesitation out of Aria; she answered so simply and quickly like as though her answer was obvious to the world. "My promises come first, even before the needs of my kingdom. I'd likely be arrested and executed for treason if I refuse to hand you over, not that the threat would dissuade me." She continued on. Her casually mentioning the possibility of her dying for disobeying her king was more than a little disconcerting (the notion that Aria would willingly die for Evelyn the least of her concerns), as if Aria didn't fear Death itself. She only continued to scrub and wash the blood off Evelyn's cotton gloves, like a maid idly gossiping with a friend.

Suddenly, Evelyn's mind came back to what Aria had said earlier when they were on horseback, right before they had argued...

It felt so frightening how serious that promise was with the power of hindsight. Aria was genuinely willing to die for Evelyn, a complete stranger, if it meant getting her home. Something was wrong with her...

Evelyn was left speechless after Aria's response. It didn't seem like she was lying, which was, in fact, the thing making her most uncomfortable. The farm girl would have been more comfortable had Aria just lied to her, or even told her that she would take "her country over a stranger". That wasn't the case here, for some odd reason.

Evelyn figured that questioning the dragoon further would only leave the conversation going around in circles, like had happened the previous time she had asked Aria about her reasoning for helping. Evelyn couldn't place her finger on it, but there had to be more to the situation than just "dragoon pride", as she doubted few, if any, of the other dragoons travelling with them would make the same decision in the same circumstances.

"Well, it seems like I don't have anything to worry over in that case." The monotone words came out sounding somewhat like a joke, but there was little humour to be found on the white-haired lady's face, or her tone of voice.

Evelyn reached down into the shallow stream, and cupped her hands together, trapping a bit of the flowing water there. She crouched down, and lightly splashed the water against her face, rubbing and cleaning the dirt and dried blood off as much as she could with just water. Thin, stray strands of white hair stuck against her cheeks from the water as Evelyn opened her eyes again.

Drying her face against her ragged sleeve, Evelyn could only come to one, single conclusion about her travel partner. "I have to admit, I don't understand you at all." Evelyn stated strongly, although her voice was anything but.

sek_cloe.png

Drying her face against her ragged sleeve, Evelyn could only come to one, single conclusion about her travel partner. "I have to admit, I don't understand you at all." Evelyn stated strongly, although her voice was anything but.

The peal of laughter from Aria was appropriately light and airy, a soothing and bubbly tone that suited the brighter side of her personality.

"You would be far from the first person to say that!" She took the sentence in stride as she wrung the cotton gloves as dry as she could, before laying them atop her drying greatcoat. "Sometimes I hardly understand myself too; it's just another quality that comes with being a Brakava lady." She let out an involuntary shiver when she waded across the shallow stream, feeling the texture of rocks and dirt under her bare feet as she strode over to Evelyn's side. "And Mama wonders why it's such a headache to find me a husband... Too bad I'm not the demure little lady they'd want me to be; I've spent too much time growing up in the saddle and the snow to be some quiet waif to a fat Earl. Maybe I'm not cut out for marriage."

sek_cloe.png

The peal of laughter from Aria was appropriately light and airy, a soothing and bubbly tone that suited the brighter side of her personality.

"You would be far from the first person to say that!" She took the sentence in stride as she wrung the cotton gloves as dry as she could, before laying them atop her drying greatcoat. "Sometimes I hardly understand myself too; it's just another quality that comes with being a Brakava lady." She let out an involuntary shiver when she waded across the shallow stream, feeling the texture of rocks and dirt under her bare feet as she strode over to Evelyn's side. "And Mama wonders why it's such a headache to find me a husband... Too bad I'm not the demure little lady they'd want me to be; I've spent too much time growing up in the saddle and the snow to be some quiet waif to a fat Earl. Maybe I'm not cut out for marriage."
Hearing Aria's nonchalant and light-hearted response to her rather serious comment, Evelyn couldn't but smile. It was a nice change of pace from the previous conversation topic, and a much welcomed one at that. That smile quickly developed into a brief giggle, as she imagined what it would look like to have normally armour-clad Aria as a common housewife. The Espean could only sympathize with Aria's mother and her worries.

"You don't seem too bothered about that." Evelyn chuckled as she made space on the large rock for Aria to sit on as well, if she liked. "Surely you'd still wish to get married someday, right? No matter how much snow and saddling." Evelyn asked, as if it was something obvious. To her, it was.

That's how she had been brought up. She'd work with her family on the farm, and eventually, when she was old enough, she would marry into another family in the village. She had never even questioned it. That's how things just were back at home.

sek_cloe.png

"You don't seem too bothered about that." Evelyn chuckled as she made space on the large rock for Aria to sit on as well, if she liked. "Surely you'd still wish to get married someday, right? No matter how much snow and saddling." Evelyn asked, as if it was something obvious. To her, it was.

"Maybe..." Aria sighed out of wistfulness and resignation. "Most suitors in Tierra are fat, old men who need steps to get on and off their fat arses; the few gentlemen who aren't are more interested in having wallflowers who will watch the house, manage finances, and rear sons." When Aria put it that way, the prospect of marrying in Tierra suddenly felt... boring? monotonous?

"I'm not cut out for that kind of life. I grew up dancing, riding, and playing with old wooden swords; being a pretty trophy wife is just impossible for me. That, and I refuse to get with some old relic thrice my age..." Were it to be any other lady, the resignation of potentially never marrying would've sounded depressing. This was Aria though, and her childhood sounding so free-spirited leant to a natural revulsion to a quiet life.

"Still, were it up to me; I'd probably marry a dame who wouldn't mind my antics. Mother would have my head if I tried to run off and marry some nobleman's daughter; I can almost hear her voice if I tried. "How are you supposed to have any children!?" She'd scream my ear out, and then maybe pull on it for good measure!"

Splashing water up onto her face was more than refreshing for the Tierran, and despite the fact that she clumsily got her tunic and skirt wet, she didn't seem to care all that much.

"Maybe..." Aria sighed out of wistfulness and resignation. "Most suitors in Tierra are fat, old men who need steps to get on and off their fat arses; the few gentlemen who aren't are more interested in having wallflowers who will watch the house, manage finances, and rear sons." When Aria put it that way, the prospect of marrying in Tierra suddenly felt... boring? monotonous?

"I'm not cut out for that kind of life. I grew up dancing, riding, and playing with old wooden swords; being a pretty trophy wife is just impossible for me. That, and I refuse to get with some old relic thrice my age..." Were it to be any other lady, the resignation of potentially never marrying would've sounded depressing. This was Aria though, and her childhood sounding so free-spirited leant to a natural revulsion to a quiet life.
Despite marriage being an aspect of life that Evelyn had fully been expecting for herself, she couldn't help but at least somewhat agree with Aria's sentiment. Based on the description the dragoon was giving her of the suitors, even Evelyn might have been a bit hesitant to plunge into holy matrimony without any hesitation. On the other hand, that made Evelyn wonder. Would being a trophy wife truly be such a horrible fate? Possibly for someone like Aria, it clearly was, as she seemed to place a lot of value on doing exactly what she wanted to do.

Evelyn, though? She had grown up relatively poor, doing nothing but turning soil, planting seeds, watering said seeds, collecting the harvest, and so forth. Could you blame her for seeing the life Aria thought as monotone and boring, as thrilling and stress-free?

"Still, were it up to me; I'd probably marry a dame who wouldn't mind my antics. Mother would have my head if I tried to run off and marry some nobleman's daughter; I can almost hear her voice if I tried. "How are you supposed to have any children!?" She'd scream my ear out, and then maybe pull on it for good measure!"

Splashing water up onto her face was more than refreshing for the Tierran, and despite the fact that she clumsily got her tunic and skirt wet, she didn't seem to care all that much.

Evelyn let out a brief chuckle, not having a hard time imagining that Aria would have been on the receiving end of such treatment more than a few times in her childhood. "Let's swap places then - I'll marry the rich noble, and you can marry into a family of farmers in the middle of nowhere." Evelyn offered jokingly as she stood up to stretch her arms a bit. The Espean strolled towards the rock that Aria had set her greatcoat on, and snatched her nearly fully dry gloves off from on top. "Although, you might have even less freedom that way..." Evelyn giggled slightly as she fit the mostly clean gloves back onto her hands, stretching her fingers to make sure they were on firmly. She didn't want to have another incident like the previous one.

sek_cloe.png

Evelyn let out a brief chuckle, not having a hard time imagining that Aria would have been on the receiving end of such treatment more than a few times in her childhood. "Let's swap places then - I'll marry the rich noble, and you can marry into a family of farmers in the middle of nowhere." Evelyn offered jokingly as she stood up to stretch her arms a bit. The Espean strolled towards the rock that Aria had set her greatcoat on, and snatched her nearly fully dry gloves off from on top.

"Considering the alternatives: that sounds like an extremely one-sided deal to me; you'd get lumped with either a pompous peacock or a fool old enough to be your father!" Aria said with a roll of her ruby eyes, shaking the water off her ankles as she waded back onto dry land. Her tights ought to have dried enough for her to wear now; the sooner she put them on, the sooner she'd be at peace with herself. "It doesn't really matter in the end though; like it or not, I'd have to find a spouse soon when I come back from this war... Mother prefers I marry into a richer or more influential family..."

"Although, you might have even less freedom that way..." Evelyn giggled slightly as she fit the mostly clean gloves back onto her hands, stretching her fingers to make sure they were on firmly. She didn't want to have another incident like the previous one.

"Do the gloves feel fine now?" Aria asked, drawing Evelyn's attention away from her gloves to see Aria sans skirt shimmying her legs into the dark tights she usually wore. The obvious heart attack/worry in seeing Aria half-naked was only made worse when her eyes were inevitably drawn to the... "bold" choice of underwear she was wearing. Both ladies were lucky that none of the men back at camp were watching...

"Hopefully they don't smell like rum or whiskey; I did my best to not use very much to clean off the blood!"

"Considering the alternatives: that sounds like an extremely one-sided deal to me; you'd get lumped with either a pompous peacock or a fool old enough to be your father!" Aria said with a roll of her ruby eyes, shaking the water off her ankles as she waded back onto dry land. Her tights ought to have dried enough for her to wear now; the sooner she put them on, the sooner she'd be at peace with herself. "It doesn't really matter in the end though; like it or not, I'd have to find a spouse soon when I come back from this war... Mother prefers I marry into a richer or more influential family..."

"Yah, I suppose I'd rather marry someone at least close to my own age as well... although, a rich and influential family doesn't sound all too bad." Evelyn nodded a few times. "...But, I'm sure you can find at least one suitable person in the whole country, right? They can't all be that bad!" Evelyn shot a brief smile towards Aria, in attempts to cheer her up slightly. Surely there was at least a handful of suitors that weren't as off-putting as the dragoon described them, right?

"Do the gloves feel fine now?" Aria asked, drawing Evelyn's attention away from her gloves to see Aria sans skirt shimmying her legs into the dark tights she usually wore. The obvious heart attack/worry in seeing Aria half-naked was only made worse when her eyes were inevitably drawn to the... "bold" choice of underwear she was wearing. Both ladies were lucky that none of the men back at camp were watching...

"Hopefully they don't smell like rum or whiskey; I did my best to not use very much to clean off the blood!"

"Yes, they do, thanks." Evelyn lauded, moving her gaze quickly back to the gloves, away from the dragoon squeezing into her dried up tights. Aria didn't seem to mind being in the lesser "state of dress", but Evelyn still felt it would be rude to stare at a lady, so she averted her eyes. Well, at least for the most part.

"I think we should start heading back to camp, no?" Evelyn suggested, as she couldn't help but feel a yawn creeping up on her again. "Even though I'm not sure whether I'll be able to sleep soundly, I'm dead-tired regardless..." She added partly in jest. With how things had turned out earlier in the day, a peaceful night's sleep was something that felt like a distant dream. There was only one to find out, and that was to lay her head down, and shut her eyes tightly.

sek_cloe.png

"Yes, they do, thanks." Evelyn lauded, moving her gaze quickly back to the gloves, away from the dragoon squeezing into her dried up tights. Aria didn't seem to mind being in the lesser "state of dress", but Evelyn still felt it would be rude to stare at a lady, so she averted her eyes. Well, at least for the most part.

"I think we should start heading back to camp, no?" Evelyn suggested, as she couldn't help but feel a yawn creeping up on her again. "Even though I'm not sure whether I'll be able to sleep soundly, I'm dead-tired regardless..." She added partly in jest. With how things had turned out earlier in the day, a peaceful night's sleep was something that felt like a distant dream. There was only one to find out, and that was to lay her head down, and shut her eyes tightly.

"Well at least make sure you eat beforehand!" Aria half-joked, half-scolded. Her modesty was thankfully reestablished as she shimmied her skirt back over her hips and waist. The process of putting on her armor and coat together was going to take a good deal longer, probably long enough for Evelyn to fall asleep on the spot. "Go on up back to the camp and get some food in your belly before you sleep; I'll be up right behind you once I put my armor back on!"

The individual armor pieces, leather belts, holsters, sabre, rifle, and shield altogether made it look like Aria would take a good deal longer than she meant, but hey: the Dragoon had already well-established that her short height meant absolutely nothing against her capabilities. The brunette had already begun putting on her heavy plated boots with a practiced ease, their weight and strength leaving hearty indents in the grass and dirt under her as she tied them snugly against her feet and shins.

"Well at least make sure you eat beforehand!" Aria half-joked, half-scolded. Her modesty was thankfully reestablished as she shimmied her skirt back over her hips and waist. The process of putting on her armor and coat together was going to take a good deal longer, probably long enough for Evelyn to fall asleep on the spot. "Go on up back to the camp and get some food in your belly before you sleep; I'll be up right behind you once I put my armor back on!"

The individual armor pieces, leather belts, holsters, sabre, rifle, and shield altogether made it look like Aria would take a good deal longer than she meant, but hey: the Dragoon had already well-established that her short height meant absolutely nothing against her capabilities. The brunette had already begun putting on her heavy plated boots with a practiced ease, their weight and strength leaving hearty indents in the grass and dirt under her as she tied them snugly against her feet and shins.
"I will, don't worry." Evelyn answered with a somewhat somber smile. Right now, food was the last thing on her mind, but she knew that she should at least make an attempt to eat. After all, she knew that she'd need all the nourishment she could get for the long journey.

"I'll be heading out now." With a small wave of her hand, Evelyn turned to head towards the camp. However, after only a few steps, she turned around back to Aria, backpedaling slowly. "And, err... thanks for, the uhh... well, the whole situation." She quickly thanked, unsure how to phrase what exactly had just taken place with the ice and her hand.

Once Evelyn got back to camp, she quickly moved towards the stew, or at least whatever was left of it in the pot. She did her best to limit any interaction with the other dragoons, even going as far as to almost sneak her meal out as soon as possible, retreating back towards her own camp roll with the bowl. The white-haired girl sat there, prodding at the stew with her crude spoon after a few mouthfuls.

The taste wasn't the problem; Evelyn had eaten her fair share of the "undesirable" sorts of meals. Her appetite was just completely gone after the events of today. While distracted or in heavy concentration, she could keep her mind clear, but if she were to let her thoughts wander even for a second, they always returned to those grim images of death that were forever burned into her brain.

There was no point trying to finish the stew at this rate. Evelyn placed the bowl aside, and laid down on the camp supplies that she was provided by Aria. Sure, it wasn't the comfortable thing around, but it was pleasant enough for a few nights, at least hopefully. With that, Evelyn closed her eyes shut, and desperately tried to get some peaceful sleep.

sek_cloe.png

Once Evelyn got back to camp, she quickly moved towards the stew, or at least whatever was left of it in the pot. She did her best to limit any interaction with the other dragoons, even going as far as to almost sneak her meal out as soon as possible, retreating back towards her own camp roll with the bowl. The white-haired girl sat there, prodding at the stew with her crude spoon after a few mouthfuls.

Considering the night's affair was crumbled pieces of hardtack softened and cooked with pig grease, Evelyn couldn't have possibly eaten something more tasteless and unfulfilling in her life. The mush was dry, crumbly, and stuck to her teeth like porridge; whatever hints of pork-like flavor from the grease she spooned up had almost certainly been absorbed and made null by the taste of nothingness that dried bread could provide. No envy could be felt for Aria or her Dragoons; the periods of fighting and marching on horseback were divided with periods in war camps or destitute repurposed barracks, chowing down on borderline inedible food that was only there to keep them alive long enough for the next battle and little more.

A super pacifist like Evelyn could understand why many common people would hesitate or outright refuse the call to duty if a life like what she was witnessing (and taking part in to some small extent) was par for the course...

The taste wasn't the problem; Evelyn had eaten her fair share of the "undesirable" sorts of meals. Her appetite was just completely gone after the events of today. While distracted or in heavy concentration, she could keep her mind clear, but if she were to let her thoughts wander even for a second, they always returned to those grim images of death that were forever burned into her brain.

There was no point trying to finish the stew at this rate. Evelyn placed the bowl aside, and laid down on the camp supplies that she was provided by Aria. Sure, it wasn't the comfortable thing around, but it was pleasant enough for a few nights, at least hopefully. With that, Evelyn closed her eyes shut, and desperately tried to get some peaceful sleep.

It was almost precisely as Evelyn closed her eyes for some sleep that Aria returned to the campfire, fully adorned with coat and armor clean as could be. Her normally noisy armor was thankfully lessened with her slower and more mindful steps when she drew closer to Evelyn, and seeing the Espean girl trying to sleep on the bedroll she had laid out earlier for her. Poor girl tried to make the best of things, bless her, but raw canvas was hardly the most comfortable material to sleep on when cushioning depended on how soft the ground underneath was.

Aria didn't need much thought to set her shield and rifle aside and pull her greatcoat from her shoulders (after having fiddled her massive pauldrons off first). Her coat had a soft and cozy inner lining meant to brave the worst Tierran blizzards, so folding it up and tucking it under Evelyn's head as a makeshift pillow was easy enough. Sure, Aria looked a tiny bit goofy without the coat as she sat down by the fire to take over Night Watch from her Sergeant, but that was nothing to her. She was a Brakava and a Steel Dragoon...

... She was already well acquainted with hardship.

sek_cloe.png

Considering the night's affair was crumbled pieces of hardtack softened and cooked with pig grease, Evelyn couldn't have possibly eaten something more tasteless and unfulfilling in her life. The mush was dry, crumbly, and stuck to her teeth like porridge; whatever hints of pork-like flavor from the grease she spooned up had almost certainly been absorbed and made null by the taste of nothingness that dried bread could provide. No envy could be felt for Aria or her Dragoons; the periods of fighting and marching on horseback were divided with periods in war camps or destitute repurposed barracks, chowing down on borderline inedible food that was only there to keep them alive long enough for the next battle and little more.

A super pacifist like Evelyn could understand why many common people would hesitate or outright refuse the call to duty if a life like what she was witnessing (and taking part in to some small extent) was par for the course...

It was almost precisely as Evelyn closed her eyes for some sleep that Aria returned to the campfire, fully adorned with coat and armor clean as could be. Her normally noisy armor was thankfully lessened with her slower and more mindful steps when she drew closer to Evelyn, and seeing the Espean girl trying to sleep on the bedroll she had laid out earlier for her. Poor girl tried to make the best of things, bless her, but raw canvas was hardly the most comfortable material to sleep on when cushioning depended on how soft the ground underneath was.

Aria didn't need much thought to set her shield and rifle aside and pull her greatcoat from her shoulders (after having fiddled her massive pauldrons off first). Her coat had a soft and cozy inner lining meant to brave the worst Tierran blizzards, so folding it up and tucking it under Evelyn's head as a makeshift pillow was easy enough. Sure, Aria looked a tiny bit goofy without the coat as she sat down by the fire to take over Night Watch from her Sergeant, but that was nothing to her. She was a Brakava and a Steel Dragoon...

... She was already well acquainted with hardship.

Despite her eyes closed and her body being still, Evelyn was still awake when Aria gently placed the folded coat underneath her head as a pillow. She'd thank her in the morning, as for now, she didn't want to really engage in conversation of any sort, even a short "thanks".

As time passed, the camp eventually quieted down, and the rest of the dragoons went to sleep aside from the one keeping watch. Well, and Evelyn. If she had been the one clad in metal armour, she would have woken everybody in the camp with the amount of rolling around and squirming she was doing on her small bedroll. Whenever she would even begin to fall asleep, she'd eventually twitch back awake from a nightmare preventing her rest.

The images she saw varied, but they all circled the same topic. The events of with the bandit ambush. Blood, guts, murder, shock and horror, all counted for. All through the night, she'd repeat the same routine of falling asleep, then being woken up after a maximum of half an hour. Every time she woke up, her eyes would shoot open with a twitch, fully expecting the knife of the bandit to plunge into her heart the following second, but it never did. Slowly, her breathing would steady again, and she'd fall back asleep, only to repeat the same a short while later.

After a night of fragmented sleep with little actual rest and recovery, the sun was beginning to peak over the horizon. As Evelyn propped herself up to sit, taking a look around the camp with squinted eyes, she could tell everyone was still asleep, apart from the night watch. And Aria...?

The farm girl grabbed Aria's bundled up coat, and quietly padded up towards the cornet, making sure her footsteps weren't too loud in the camp. "You're up already?" She asked softly, carrying the folded up coat over her arms, and offering it back to its owner. "Thanks for the pillow." It hadn't really helped much with her broken up sleep, but Evelyn still appreciated the thought quite a bit.

sek_cloe.png

After a night of fragmented sleep with little actual rest and recovery, the sun was beginning to peak over the horizon. As Evelyn propped herself up to sit, taking a look around the camp with squinted eyes, she could tell everyone was still asleep, apart from the night watch. And Aria...?

Indeed, the only other person besides Evelyn and the Dragoon serving the last Night Watch was Aria, who was snuffing out the last embers of the campfire with some kicked up dirt. The Tierran didn't seem to notice Evelyn wake up, occupied as she was with her back turned to the Espean, but it wasn't difficult to recognize Aria's wild mass of golden-brown hair swaying in imperceptible breezes. The lack of a coat did make for a peculiar sight though, if only because Aria seemed to fond of wearing it.

The farm girl grabbed Aria's bundled up coat, and quietly padded up towards the cornet, making sure her footsteps weren't too loud in the camp. "You're up already?" She asked softly...

"Huh!? Wha-!?" Despite Evelyn's best, she very nearly made Aria draw her sabre when she unintentionally spooked her. "Oh, it's only you Evelyn..." It was only her timely recognition of Evelyn's voice that got her to stop her sabre-draw partway and push it back down into its resting place on her hip with a *clack*. "Sorry about that! I forgot you were with us for a moment there..."

... carrying the folded up coat over her arms, and offering it back to its owner. "Thanks for the pillow." It hadn't really helped much with her broken up sleep, but Evelyn still appreciated the thought quite a bit.

"I couldn't have you sleeping on that bedroll with nothing else; it's 'bout the same comfort as sleeping on a tent rather than in one." Aria accepted her coat back with a smile, though it curled down into a tiny frown when she saw the look on Evelyn's face. The way her eyes looked slightly unfocused, and the slight tint of paleness in her cheeks... "... You didn't sleep well last night? You look like my little sister when she still believed a monster was under her bed."

Indeed, the only other person besides Evelyn and the Dragoon serving the last Night Watch was Aria, who was snuffing out the last embers of the campfire with some kicked up dirt. The Tierran didn't seem to notice Evelyn wake up, occupied as she was with her back turned to the Espean, but it wasn't difficult to recognize Aria's wild mass of golden-brown hair swaying in imperceptible breezes. The lack of a coat did make for a peculiar sight though, if only because Aria seemed to fond of wearing it.

"Huh!? Wha-!?" Despite Evelyn's best, she very nearly made Aria draw her sabre when she unintentionally spooked her. "Oh, it's only you Evelyn..." It was only her timely recognition of Evelyn's voice that got her to stop her sabre-draw partway and push it back down into its resting place on her hip with a *clack*. "Sorry about that! I forgot you were with us for a moment there..."

When Evelyn spotted Aria beginning to unsheathe her sabre in surprise, she froze in her spot, throwing her hands up defensively in front of her, as if to signal being a friendly. "Forgot about me already? That didn't take all that long..." Evelyn joked back with a faint smirk, as she lowered her arms and handed the coat back.

"I couldn't have you sleeping on that bedroll with nothing else; it's 'bout the same comfort as sleeping on a tent rather than in one." Aria accepted her coat back with a smile, though it curled down into a tiny frown when she saw the look on Evelyn's face. The way her eyes looked slightly unfocused, and the slight tint of paleness in her cheeks... "... You didn't sleep well last night? You look like my little sister when she still believed a monster was under her bed."

Evelyn was slightly caught off-guard at first by the cornet catching onto her lack of sleep. She didn't know what she looked like right now, but if it was as bad as she felt like, then it would surely be noticeable. "...Not the best sleep I've had, but good enough." She replied, downplaying her situation a bit more than intended.

"As for monsters... don't have a bed for them to hide under." Evelyn kept up her light-hearted and jokey tone, referring to the thin bedroll she spent the night on. In Evelyn's case, her own monsters were hiding inside her dreams, or rather, nightmares. "I suppose your little sister called upon you, the brave dragoon, to get rid of said monster?" Evelyn hazarded a guess. That's what she would have done, if she had been in Aria's sister's place.

sek_cloe.png

Evelyn was slightly caught off-guard at first by the cornet catching onto her lack of sleep. She didn't know what she looked like right now, but if it was as bad as she felt like, then it would surely be noticeable. "...Not the best sleep I've had, but good enough." She replied, downplaying her situation a bit more than intended.

"As for monsters... don't have a bed for them to hide under." Evelyn kept up her light-hearted and jokey tone, referring to the thin bedroll she spent the night on. In Evelyn's case, her own monsters were hiding inside her dreams, or rather, nightmares. "I suppose your little sister called upon you, the brave dragoon, to get rid of said monster?" Evelyn hazarded a guess. That's what she would have done, if she had been in Aria's sister's place.

"Only whenever Papa was too busy to answer her call; she only trusts me because I was small enough to crawl under the bed "to double check if they're gone"." The self-depreciatory jab at her own smallness was more than a little indicative of Aria's shortness being with her her entire life. "I never quite inspired the same air of confidence Papa did; he always knew the right things to say to us as children. He was a real Knight in shining armor, figuratively and literally."

The smile Aria had at the mention of her father was not hard to miss, though after a good second it began... muddying. Aria's smile paused and curled between a fond smile and a worried frown, muttering a quiet "Sorry, I should probably get everything packed away. We'll get back on the road soon."

and Evelyn might've had an inkling as to why...

The journal itself was an old piece, wrapped in rough cowhide that has clearly seen better days. The parchment pages themselves felt worn down when Evelyn's fingers glided over, every wrinkle and occasional rip telling a unique story on their own, and others adding to the entry Evelyn glossed over. Evelyn could safely guess that the journal had seen a lot of abuse, but there were clear signs of love and care put into it's continued existence. Aria's handwriting was as fanciful and beautiful as it was hard to read at times, but she wrote with an extreme amount of caution, if the thinness of her strokes was hint enough.

602 OIE, 24th Day of Taurus

Today has turned out to be a terrible one for me. Papa has fallen ill again, and I fear it to be far worse than last time. He coughs and hacks with worrying violence and frequency, and on several occasions he's nearly collapsed in the halls. I fear that the hearsay from the servants about him coughing blood when we are not looking might be true; he has been increasingly evasive whenever I question him about it. He has only let slip the details of our family's dire case...

I've always known that our family is an old and impoverished one, but the sheer enormity of our debt. It would take a miracle for us to see light at the end of this.

Mama is beside herself with worry and refuses to leave Papa's side. She has already begun shadowing him and taking over his more taxing duties to ease his burden. I myself have taken on some lesser duties that Papa would normally undertake; every little thing I am capable of doing I have taken on for Papa's sake... I can't bear to see the fear in Mama's eyes, lest I begin to share the same expression...

Luka and Isabella are also worried as well; but their youth makes them unable to do much outside of the estate. Isabella continues to search for a suitor that can take care of her, while little Luka has taken it upon himself to learn the nuances of running the Barony alongside me. I cannot be more proud of my little brother and sister; I'm sure Papa and Mama are proud too whenever they see us hard at work.

I already dislike this year... I wish I had the power to turn back time to when things were happier...

- Aria
602 OIE, 24th Day of Taurus

Today has turned out to be a terrible one for me. Papa has fallen ill again, and I fear it to be far worse than last time. He coughs and hacks with worrying violence and frequency, and on several occasions he's nearly collapsed in the halls. I fear that the hearsay from the servants about him coughing blood when we are not looking might be true; he has been increasingly evasive whenever I question him about it. He has only let slip the details of our family's dire case...

I've always known that our family is an old and impoverished one, but the sheer enormity of our debt. It would take a miracle for us to see light at the end of this.

Mama is beside herself with worry and refuses to leave Papa's side. She has already begun shadowing him and taking over his more taxing duties to ease his burden. I myself have taken on some lesser duties that Papa would normally undertake; every little thing I am capable of doing I have taken on for Papa's sake... I can't bear to see the fear in Mama's eyes, lest I begin to share the same expression...

Luka and Isabella are also worried as well; but their youth makes them unable to do much outside of the estate. Isabella continues to search for a suitor that can take care of her, while little Luka has taken it upon himself to learn the nuances of running the Barony alongside me. I cannot be more proud of my little brother and sister; I'm sure Papa and Mama are proud too whenever they see us hard at work.

I already dislike this year... I wish I had the power to turn back time to when things were happier...

- Aria

602 OIE, 4th Day of the Tiger

The Apothecary didn't give us any good news. He told us that Papa was in a grave state of being, his age and frailty have made it difficult for him to fend off illness and fatigue. If he does not rest from his patriarchal duties, he might live for another two year at best. Two years! Mama fainted when she heard the news, and poor Isabella bawled when she learned that Papa might not live to see her grow up.

I'm beside myself with grief and panic. Even now I am struggling to put my thoughts into coherent writing; my hand refuses to still its shaking with the feather. I have already begun taking on more duties from Papa; Mama has also accelerated her search for a suitable husband for me to wed should Papa pass on.

... I cannot fathom such a thought, being married and not having Papa witness my wedding.

- Aria
602 OIE, 4th Day of the Tiger

The Apothecary didn't give us any good news. He told us that Papa was in a grave state of being, his age and frailty have made it difficult for him to fend off illness and fatigue. If he does not rest from his patriarchal duties, he might live for another two year at best. Two years! Mama fainted when she heard the news, and poor Isabella bawled when she learned that Papa might not live to see her grow up.

I'm beside myself with grief and panic. Even now I am struggling to put my thoughts into coherent writing; my hand refuses to still its shaking with the feather. I have already begun taking on more duties from Papa; Mama has also accelerated her search for a suitable husband for me to wed should Papa pass on.

... I cannot fathom such a thought, being married and not having Papa witness my wedding.

- Aria

602 OIE, 16th Day of the Tiger

The commission had just arrived from Astraea; I am now a Cornet of His Majesty's Royal Dragoons. I leave tomorrow for Havenwell to begin my training as a Dragoon.

It is the only way I can think of that can pay off the family's debts. They say that an Officer can collect a handsome pay from ransoms alone, more if they are recognized and rewarded for bravery and valor in battle. It is my only option; Papa is too ill, and Mama is filled with grief to properly run the estate. Seeing my family well is all that matters, and if I must, I'll fight this bloody war by my lonesome if it means seeing Papa and Mama happy and healthy again.

Papa and Mama had heart attacks when I initially announced my intentions of joining the war last week. Mama nearly collapsed, shouting that she wouldn't let me go off to war if she could help it. Papa too was against my decision, but he couldn't rise from the bed or raise his voice without coughing. I tried to abate their worries as best as I could, but they were having none of it. They wanted me to stay home, inherit the estate, and find a good husband. I already know I make for a terrible bride and housewife, maybe I can better find my place in Calligia.

Luka, Isabella... Forgive your older sister for running away when you most need it. Neither of you are old enough or ready to run the Barony, but this is for the family.

Papa... I hope you can forgive your daughter for what she must do.

- Aria
602 OIE, 16th Day of the Tiger

The commission had just arrived from Astraea; I am now a Cornet of His Majesty's Royal Dragoons. I leave tomorrow for Havenwell to begin my training as a Dragoon.

It is the only way I can think of that can pay off the family's debts. They say that an Officer can collect a handsome pay from ransoms alone, more if they are recognized and rewarded for bravery and valor in battle. It is my only option; Papa is too ill, and Mama is filled with grief to properly run the estate. Seeing my family well is all that matters, and if I must, I'll fight this bloody war by my lonesome if it means seeing Papa and Mama happy and healthy again.

Papa and Mama had heart attacks when I initially announced my intentions of joining the war last week. Mama nearly collapsed, shouting that she wouldn't let me go off to war if she could help it. Papa too was against my decision, but he couldn't rise from the bed or raise his voice without coughing. I tried to abate their worries as best as I could, but they were having none of it. They wanted me to stay home, inherit the estate, and find a good husband. I already know I make for a terrible bride and housewife, maybe I can better find my place in Calligia.

Luka, Isabella... Forgive your older sister for running away when you most need it. Neither of you are old enough or ready to run the Barony, but this is for the family.

Papa... I hope you can forgive your daughter for what she must do.

- Aria

... Perhaps it was still a bad idea to reveal that she had peeked in Aria's journal, but she was trying to hide a lot of weight and pain from view...

Last edited:

"Only whenever Papa was too busy to answer her call; she only trusts me because I was small enough to crawl under the bed "to double check if they're gone"." The self-depreciatory jab at her own smallness was more than a little indicative of Aria's shortness being with her her entire life. "I never quite inspired the same air of confidence Papa did; he always knew the right things to say to us as children. He was a real Knight in shining armor, figuratively and literally."

Evelyn smirked faintly at the mental image of the armour-clad Aria crawling underneath a bed in a hunt for imaginary monsters. Those were the kinds of moments the farm girl wished that she wasn't an only child, as she had missed out on having a large family, and all the fun it must have come with. "Don't knock yourself down, your armour is quite shiny as well!" Evelyn quickly pointed to the clean equipment Aria was outfitted with.

The smile Aria had at the mention of her father was not hard to miss, though after a good second it began... muddying. Aria's smile paused and curled between a fond smile and a worried frown, muttering a quiet "Sorry, I should probably get everything packed away. We'll get back on the road soon."

and Evelyn might've had an inkling as to why...

Despite the light topic of conversation, the Espean didn't miss out on the slight facial cue from Aria, partly because she had shown a similar reaction quite a few times lately as well. A smile that you just couldn't keep up, despite trying so hard. She knew about Aria's family condition, and how much it seemed to place a weight on her shoulders, but Evelyn hesitated on saying anything about it.

"Oh, I secretly read your journal, by the way," wasn't exactly something that built comradery and trust between the two. Evelyn's expression somewhat matched Aria's, as she turned away from the cornet. "I'll leave you to it, just, uhh..." Evelyn's fingers played with the fabric on her cotton gloves. "You're raising confidence plenty enough by yourself, so don't worry about your siblings, okay?" With that, Evelyn disappeared towards her side of the camp, not wanting to elaborate the origins of her comments any further, as she knew that was a road to her getting caught for peeping on the diary.

sek_cloe.png

Evelyn's expression somewhat matched Aria's, as she turned away from the cornet. "I'll leave you to it, just, uhh..." Evelyn's fingers played with the fabric on her cotton gloves. "You're raising confidence plenty enough by yourself, so don't worry about your siblings, okay?" With that, Evelyn disappeared towards her side of the camp, not wanting to elaborate the origins of her comments any further, as she knew that was a road to her getting caught for peeping on the diary.

Something struck Aria odd as Evelyn excused herself: the fact that she mentioned siblings, even though Aria had only ever mentioned her little sister. She didn't recall ever talking about her little brother to anybody else, let alone Evelyn... maybe it was just a harmless slip of the tongue, and Aria didn't need to worry or look too deeply into her words. Serendipity seemed to agree with that assessment with the way he was incessantly prodding his rider's back with his nose.

"Alright Serry, alright! I'll get us packed before the sun fully rises!"

1694220182771.png

Kharan Countryside - Tierran Outpost Camp
602nd Year of the Old Imperial Era

The Kharan River Crossing outpost turned out to be a barely fortified and very rudimentary camp some ten kilometres from the actual bridge across the river itself. Hidden in the forests of northern Calligia, the outpost served to prevent the Imperials from moving troops or supplies down the Old Imperial Highway.

To that purpose, the King's Army had garrisoned the outpost with some of its best: a half company of the elite Grenadier Guards Regiment. Aria's small unit of Dragoons had been assigned to accompany them as messengers, scouts and if necessary, a cavalry reserve. For the young Cornet, she would not get a break when the rotten wood palisade came into view over the dreary horizon. The past few days of horseback had been exhausting for the six-strong patrol and Evelyn, but the sight of the entire outpost's Grenadier population gathered in neat formations abreast each other inspired no idea of a quick rest.

The Grenadier Guards of Tierra were some of the best foot soldiers the Kingdom could offer. Their proud tricorne hats matched the drab grey and bold navy-blue highlights of their tailcoats, and their long muskets looked vaguely like pikes with their elongated bayonets gleaming like spearheads in the cloudy light. The color struck a deep contrast to the blood red of Aria's Dragoons; the colors looked comparatively more distinct, yet there was something about the bold red of the Dragoons that inspired... more...

A Grenadier ensign, judging by the lack of decorative epaulettes on his shoulders, spotted the Dragoons as they rode their way past the wooden barricades into the camp proper. Aria looked tense as she scanned around for another officer. "What in the hells is going on here? The camp looks like it's getting ready to mobilize..."

Indeed, Aria wasn't fool enough to not recognize when a garrison was making formations to march... what the heck was going on?

Last edited:

Something struck Aria odd as Evelyn excused herself: the fact that she mentioned siblings, even though Aria had only ever mentioned her little sister. She didn't recall ever talking about her little brother to anybody else, let alone Evelyn... maybe it was just a harmless slip of the tongue, and Aria didn't need to worry or look too deeply into her words. Serendipity seemed to agree with that assessment with the way he was incessantly prodding his rider's back with his nose.

"Alright Serry, alright! I'll get us packed before the sun fully rises!"

View attachment 1113142

Kharan Countryside - Tierran Outpost Camp
602nd Year of the Old Imperial Era

The Kharan River Crossing outpost turned out to be a barely fortified and very rudimentary camp some ten kilometres from the actual bridge across the river itself. Hidden in the forests of northern Calligia, the outpost served to prevent the Imperials from moving troops or supplies down the Old Imperial Highway.

To that purpose, the King's Army had garrisoned the outpost with some of its best: a half company of the elite Grenadier Guards Regiment. Aria's small unit of Dragoons had been assigned to accompany them as messengers, scouts and if necessary, a cavalry reserve. For the young Cornet, she would not get a break when the rotten wood palisade came into view over the dreary horizon. The past few days of horseback had been exhausting for the six-strong patrol and Evelyn, but the sight of the entire outpost's Grenadier population gathered in neat formations abreast each other inspired no idea of a quick rest.

The Grenadier Guards of Tierra were some of the best foot soldiers the Kingdom could offer. Their proud tricorne hats matched the drab grey and bold navy-blue highlights of their tailcoats, and their long muskets looked vaguely like pikes with their elongated bayonets gleaming like spearheads in the cloudy light. The color struck a deep contrast to the blood red of Aria's Dragoons; the colors looked comparatively more distinct, yet there was something about the bold red of the Dragoons that inspired... more...

Exhausting wasn't strong enough of a word to describe the journey to the outpost for Evelyn. Sure, most of the actual travelling itself was done and horseback, where she could sit and let Aria guide them in the right direction. No, the Espean's source of exhaustion came primarily from her lack of sleep. Three days with a combined total of about six hours of sleep clearly wasn't enough. Evelyn wasn't even sure about the numbers themselves, as she didn't really have any way of telling the time in between the moments where she constantly flipped between sleep and full awareness.

Evelyn's unnaturally blue eyes were contrasted with dark circles around them, and her gaze itself lacked any proper focus, just blankly staring forward at the road. That was until outpost finally came into sight. The Espean cleared her head with a slight shake. Somehow, she had gotten the idea into her head that the outpost would be a real stronghold of safety and security, with thick walls surrounding it from threats from any direction, and more armoured guards than was necessary. That wasn't exactly the case.

The place was more like a large, disorganized camp. Sure, there were walls, but nothing in the vein of what Evelyn had imagined. If a real threat were to come across them, she didn't exactly count on hiding behind them. Approaching the outpost, Evelyn's attention was drawn to the soldiers inside. Their outfits partially resembled Aria's, but had slight differences in colour and design. She surmised that they weren't most likely dragoons, but something completely different.

A Grenadier ensign, judging by the lack of decorative epaulettes on his shoulders, spotted the Dragoons as they rode their way past the wooden barricades into the camp proper. Aria looked tense as she scanned around for another officer. "What in the hells is going on here? The camp looks like it's getting ready to mobilize..."

Indeed, Aria wasn't fool enough to not recognize when a garrison was making formations to march... what the heck was going on?

Evelyn took note of the formation the soldiers of the outpost were gathering in as well, although with more visible confusion written on her face. "...Are they leaving for somewhere already?" She turned to Aria with her simple question.

sek_cloe.png

Evelyn took note of the formation the soldiers of the outpost were gathering in as well, although with more visible confusion written on her face. "...Are they leaving for somewhere already?" She turned to Aria with her simple question.

"It certainly appears that way, Miss Celice. Must be a "last notice" affair if we've haven't heard anything about it." The hustle and bustle of Tierran soldiers getting ready to march was more than a little confusing for her and her gathered sextet of Dragoons, none of the cavalrymen knowing what to do when everyone looked busy.

"Ma'am?" One of the Grenadier Guard officers, likely no higher ranking than Aria herself if their comparative ages were anything to compare, had approached the group of six. "You're our assigned complement of Dragoons? It's a good thing you're here early; Lord Captain Hunter wants to see you right away."

"I see..." That got Aria more than a little curious, and a teeny bit thankful that she chose to take her Dragoons (plus Evelyn) and ride out early for the outpost. She still had plenty of questions about what on Earth was going on, but mayhaps she was going to get her answers soon with this "Captain Hunter."

Twisting herself around, the diminutive Tierran girl smoothly swung her leg around back and hopped off Serendipity with ease. A thousand times she had to jump onto and off her massive steed, and it showed when she landed in the mud without stumble or fall. "I'll be but a few moments, Miss Celice; Serry will take care of you in the meantime until I get back!" She then turned her focus to her Dragoons. "Stay on your horses and stay ready Dragoons! They might want us to march with them or ahead of them, so keep sharp!" She didn't need to hear the small chorus of "Yes, Ma'am!" or "Aye aye, Ma'am!" to know that her Dragoons would obediently follow her word, turning to the grey-coated Grenadier ensign who wordlessly led her away.

And thus, Evelyn found herself alone once again... well, not completely alone; she had Aria's faithful stallion Serendipity to keep her company. The midnight stallion was as steady and calm as a warhorse could be among the bustle of an imminent military action; the rhythmic sound of drums and shouts to maintain order was a cacophonous mess to her ears, only outdone by the dizzying amount of Tierran soldiers marching, jogging, or otherwise scurrying about like rats. Hopefully Aria would return quickly; Evelyn was rapidly becoming the focus of more than a few curious stares...

"It certainly appears that way, Miss Celice. Must be a "last notice" affair if we've haven't heard anything about it." The hustle and bustle of Tierran soldiers getting ready to march was more than a little confusing for her and her gathered sextet of Dragoons, none of the cavalrymen knowing what to do when everyone looked busy.

"Ma'am?" One of the Grenadier Guard officers, likely no higher ranking than Aria herself if their comparative ages were anything to compare, had approached the group of six. "You're our assigned complement of Dragoons? It's a good thing you're here early; Lord Captain Hunter wants to see you right away."

"I see..." That got Aria more than a little curious, and a teeny bit thankful that she chose to take her Dragoons (plus Evelyn) and ride out early for the outpost. She still had plenty of questions about what on Earth was going on, but mayhaps she was going to get her answers soon with this "Captain Hunter."
Evelyn's eyes followed Aria as she tried to make some kind of sense of the current situation in the outpost, with soldiers whizzing by the two ladies on horseback at a constant rate. Lord Captain Hunter? The title sounded quite grand to Evelyn's ears, so expectations were set high.

Evelyn began dusting off her clothing right away, and straightening the wrinkled fabric of her collar right away, in attempts to make herself presentable to this Hunter Captain (or whatever it was...)

Twisting herself around, the diminutive Tierran girl smoothly swung her leg around back and hopped off Serendipity with ease. A thousand times she had to jump onto and off her massive steed, and it showed when she landed in the mud without stumble or fall. "I'll be but a few moments, Miss Celice; Serry will take care of you in the meantime until I get back!" She then turned her focus to her Dragoons. "Stay on your horses and stay ready Dragoons! They might want us to march with them or ahead of them, so keep sharp!" She didn't need to hear the small chorus of "Yes, Ma'am!" or "Aye aye, Ma'am!" to know that her Dragoons would obediently follow her word, turning to the grey-coated Grenadier ensign who wordlessly led her away.

And thus, Evelyn found herself alone once again... well, not completely alone; she had Aria's faithful stallion Serendipity to keep her company. The midnight stallion was as steady and calm as a warhorse could be among the bustle of an imminent military action; the rhythmic sound of drums and shouts to maintain order was a cacophonous mess to her ears, only outdone by the dizzying amount of Tierran soldiers marching, jogging, or otherwise scurrying about like rats. Hopefully Aria would return quickly; Evelyn was rapidly becoming the focus of more than a few curious stares...

"Wha- you're just leaving me here? He'll take care of me...?" Evelyn was a bit flustered, as her attempts to clean herself up were put on halt by the news that she wouldn't be meeting this captain. Evelyn's question spoken out with a slightly stunned look was barely even noticed by Aria, as the dragoon turned to her troops right away, their voices drowning out whatever Evelyn had to say.

Just like that, in a flurry of rushed footsteps, Evelyn was left there with Serry. The unlikely duo stood there in the middle of the camp, the warhorse looking calm as ever, with a... less calm white-haired farmgirl on the saddle. With every moment of loud shouting, metal clashing, all tied to the rhythm of the war drums in the distance, Evelyn grew more tense. She glanced downward at the dark horse, bewildered at its ability to stay calm. Was he deaf or something?

As Evelyn continued to sit atop the massive horse, essentially in the middle of the camp, she grew more conscious of the stares directed her way. Soldiers of different uniforms, staring at her as if she was a statue. At least she was basically as still as one.

Fearing that the stares might lead to a confrontation that she couldn't speak her way out of, Evelyn slowly grabbed Serendipity's reins, and leaned down towards the horse's head. "Come on, Serry, I think we should move somewhere less conspicuous..." She whispered to the horse with a pained chuckle as they started to slowly trod through the outpost. It was easier said than done, though. Not only was the massive horse eye-catching as in of itself, but Evelyn was such as well. Even with her hood on, her white hair was long enough to flow outside, and gather stares at her way just for the unusual colour for a woman her age.

Last edited:
sek_cloe.png

Just like that, in a flurry of rushed footsteps, Evelyn was left there with Serry. The unlikely duo stood there in the middle of the camp, the warhorse looking calm as ever, with a... less calm white-haired farmgirl on the saddle. With every moment of loud shouting, metal clashing, all tied to the rhythm of the war drums in the distance, Evelyn grew more tense. She glanced downward at the dark horse, bewildered at its ability to stay calm. Was he deaf or something?

As Evelyn continued to sit atop the massive horse, essentially in the middle of the camp, she grew more conscious of the stares directed her way. Soldiers of different uniforms, staring at her as if she was a statue. At least she was basically as still as one.

Fearing that the stares might lead to a confrontation that she couldn't speak her way out of, Evelyn slowly grabbed Serendipity's reins, and leaned down towards the horse's head. "Come on, Serry, I think we should move somewhere less conspicuous..." She whispered to the horse with a pained chuckle as they started to slowly trod through the outpost. It was easier said than done, though. Not only was the massive horse eye-catching as in of itself, but Evelyn was such as well. Even with her hood on, her white hair was long enough to flow outside, and gather stares at her way just for the unusual colour for a woman her age.

For several minutes, Evelyn tried and largely failed to keep wayward attention away from herself. The combination of a distinctly civilian girl riding atop a magnificent charger like Serendipity was enough to ward any gaze to lay firmly on the Espean girl; thankfully the gawping was largely kept to a minimum as most soldiers in the warcamp had better things to do. They were about to march, after all...

After the longest few minutes of Evelyn's life, the distinct blood-red of Aria's Dragoon coat was a merciful sight among the dull grey and blues of the Tierran Grenadier Guards. The only Tierran Evelyn could claim any level of familiarity was... running towards her with a disturbing sense of urgency. Cradled in her arms was a bulky canvas satchel as big as her torso, and when Aria let out a sharp whistle with her lips, Serendipity whinnied and galloped towards her rider with Evelyn still atop the saddle.

The amount of trust Aria and Serry had between each other was something only that could only be envied by a horse and rider duo who trained together their entire lives. Years of familiarity were on full-display for Evelyn to witness first-hand; Serendipity showed no fear in accidentally trampling his rider, and Aria proved herself a commendable rider for not flinching when she leapt up and swung herself into the saddle with one smooth grab of the saddle. The only hiccup that happened was because Evelyn happened to be occupying the very spot Aria would've normally swung herself into, but a little adjustment mid-swing saw the Dragoon sidle herself right into her improvised spot behind Evelyn instead.

"Sorry I took so long!" She panted, her hair mussed and wind-battered from her sprint as she quickly took ahold of Serry's reins in one hand. "I'd drop you off in this camp where it's safer, but nobody here has the luxury of time!" One sharp tug on the reins and Aria's midnight stallion reared up on his hind legs, turning around and landing back on all-fours with a heavy *thump* that could be felt by nearby soldiers. "Come on, Serry!"

Once more, Evelyn was subjected to the terrifying sensations of Serendipity at a near-full gallop. Her leading the horse away to a quieter part of the camp had become a minor mistake of her doing, as a warhorse churning dirt with each sharp turn around tents and gathering formations nearly threw the Espean off the saddle several times, but thankfully the violent tossing and turning was over quickly when Serry came to a skidding halt at the sight of more Dragoons.

"Ma'am?!" The other Dragoons, unlike Evelyn, had opted to stay where Aria had left them with their horses. The sight of the massive warhorse coming to a sliding halt was enough to spook even the hardiest soul, but Aria was quick to re-establish order and discipline with her small unit.

"I don't have much time to explain; form up single-file behind me and keep up! Giddyup, Serry! HYAH!"

To their credit: the Dragoons under Aria's command were quick on the draw and even quicker to follow their Officer's lead. Within seconds, all six Dragoons and their horses were racing through the Calligian countryside again with Aria and Evelyn in the lead. Serendipity aptly tore the earth under his hooves with a great vigor unmatched by the stallions behind him, and the way he heaved and thundered with every harsh gallop made Evelyn uncomfortably bounce in the saddle. Only Aria's steady presence ensured she wasn't prematurely tossed from the saddle, the little Tierran mercifully acting as an anchor that she could lean on (even if it meant a less-than-comfortable ride for Aria).

Speaking of... Aria still hadn't explained to her or the Dragoons behind them as to why they were galloping through the countryside like their lives depended on it. The only hint was the burgeoning satchel the Dragoon was tightly clutching to her chest, but whatever was inside was anybody's guess...

For several minutes, Evelyn tried and largely failed to keep wayward attention away from herself. The combination of a distinctly civilian girl riding atop a magnificent charger like Serendipity was enough to ward any gaze to lay firmly on the Espean girl; thankfully the gawping was largely kept to a minimum as most soldiers in the warcamp had better things to do. They were about to march, after all...

After the longest few minutes of Evelyn's life, the distinct blood-red of Aria's Dragoon coat was a merciful sight among the dull grey and blues of the Tierran Grenadier Guards. The only Tierran Evelyn could claim any level of familiarity was... running towards her with a disturbing sense of urgency. Cradled in her arms was a bulky canvas satchel as big as her torso, and when Aria let out a sharp whistle with her lips, Serendipity whinnied and galloped towards her rider with Evelyn still atop the saddle.

The amount of trust Aria and Serry had between each other was something only that could only be envied by a horse and rider duo who trained together their entire lives. Years of familiarity were on full-display for Evelyn to witness first-hand; Serendipity showed no fear in accidentally trampling his rider, and Aria proved herself a commendable rider for not flinching when she leapt up and swung herself into the saddle with one smooth grab of the saddle. The only hiccup that happened was because Evelyn happened to be occupying the very spot Aria would've normally swung herself into, but a little adjustment mid-swing saw the Dragoon sidle herself right into her improvised spot behind Evelyn instead.

Before Evelyn could even react to the sharp whistle, the horse underneath her already jumped into a speedy gallop, with the unprepared girl just barely hanging on. "H-Hey, what are you doing?!" She exclaimed to the horse, as she managed to hold on tight enough to not fall off. Once recovered, she spotted the source of the whistle, Aria, running towards the two in an equally rushed manner, carrying some sort of... sack?

"Whoa, whoa! Watch out!" Evelyn tried to steer the horse to no avail. In response, she shut her eyes tight as Aria's figure came dangerously close to getting stomped on by the massive horse. Only a single misstep, and the small cornet would have been out for the count in less than a second. A bump against her back got the farm girl to open her eyes once again, as she realized that Aria was more than safe and sound, and back on the saddle.

"Sorry I took so long!" She panted, her hair mussed and wind-battered from her sprint as she quickly took ahold of Serry's reins in one hand. "I'd drop you off in this camp where it's safer, but nobody here has the luxury of time!" One sharp tug on the reins and Aria's midnight stallion reared up on his hind legs, turning around and landing back on all-fours with a heavy *thump* that could be felt by nearby soldiers. "Come on, Serry!"

Once more, Evelyn was subjected to the terrifying sensations of Serendipity at a near-full gallop. Her leading the horse away to a quieter part of the camp had become a minor mistake of her doing, as a warhorse churning dirt with each sharp turn around tents and gathering formations nearly threw the Espean off the saddle several times, but thankfully the violent tossing and turning was over quickly when Serry came to a skidding halt at the sight of more Dragoons.

"Ma'am?!" The other Dragoons, unlike Evelyn, had opted to stay where Aria had left them with their horses. The sight of the massive warhorse coming to a sliding halt was enough to spook even the hardiest soul, but Aria was quick to re-establish order and discipline with her small unit.

"What? What do you--!?" Evelyn's retort was cut off by her words turning into a panicked shout, nearly a squeal, when Serendipity took the sharp turn and leapt through the air into a breakneck-speed gallop. Once the charger got to full speed, Evelyn was struggling to hold on. Her hood could no longer stay on her head, and her long hair refused to stay off of her face, making the already limited line of sight even more minimal.

Once the horse began to slow down to a full stop, Evelyn was glad that she didn't fall over the head of the horse onto her back from the sudden shift of momentum. At this point, it felt like she was the one had been doing all the running.

"I don't have much time to explain; form up single-file behind me and keep up! Giddyup, Serry! HYAH!"

To their credit: the Dragoons under Aria's command were quick on the draw and even quicker to follow their Officer's lead. Within seconds, all six Dragoons and their horses were racing through the Calligian countryside again with Aria and Evelyn in the lead. Serendipity aptly tore the earth under his hooves with a great vigor unmatched by the stallions behind him, and the way he heaved and thundered with every harsh gallop made Evelyn uncomfortably bounce in the saddle. Only Aria's steady presence ensured she wasn't prematurely tossed from the saddle, the little Tierran mercifully acting as an anchor that she could lean on (even if it meant a less-than-comfortable ride for Aria).

Speaking of... Aria still hadn't explained to her or the Dragoons behind them as to why they were galloping through the countryside like their lives depended on it. The only hint was the burgeoning satchel the Dragoon was tightly clutching to her chest, but whatever was inside was anybody's guess...

With not enough time to even catch her breath, the horse was off to gallop once again, this time followed by the rest of the dragoons, all before Evelyn could get a single word in. Despite the incredible speed, the effort the farm girl needed to stay mounted was lessened as their pace and terrain steadied.

"What's happening! And what's with that thing you're holding? It's digging into my back!"
Evelyn shouted over the loud, rhythmic sounds of hooves digging into the ground.

sek_cloe.png

With not enough time to even catch her breath, the horse was off to gallop once again, this time followed by the rest of the dragoons, all before Evelyn could get a single word in. Despite the incredible speed, the effort the farm girl needed to stay mounted was lessened as their pace and terrain steadied.

"What's happening! And what's with that thing you're holding? It's digging into my back!" Evelyn shouted over the loud, rhythmic sounds of hooves digging into the ground.

"Not right now!" Aria's voice was hard to hear over the sound of wind whipping past Evelyn's ears, drowned out further by Serendipity's chuffing and the churning of dirt under six sets of hooves. Whatever was going on, it didn't afford any luxury of time for Aria to be rushing as she was.

"Ma'am!" The shout of Dragoon Sergeant Lanzrel behind Aria was damn-near impossible to hear over the racket of wind and horses in a dead sprint. Evelyn herself could be easily forgiven for not even hearing anyone beyond Aria; their position at the head of the formation made it impossible for Evelyn to really focus on anything. "Where in the hells are we going!?"

"Just follow my damn lead Sergeant!"

It was only after the sounds of rushing water became clear in Evelyn's ears that Aria's destination became obvious.

The Kharan River bridge was built in the days of the Old Empire, spanning the wide, sluggish river at its narrowest point. A series of granite arches carried the roadway from one low bank of the Kharan to the other; the road itself was covered with logs, split and laid flat-side-up, to maintain a manageable surface during the rainy season. On their side of the river, at the very edge of the river bank and not far from the road, an old toll house of fieldstone and wood stood in a dilapidated state of repair.

It had been only ten kilometres from the outpost to the bridge, but the winding path down through the woods made the actual travelling distance feel more like twenty. Normally, it would've been an easy ride of three hours or so, but Aria had been pushing her Dragoons and their horses to the absolute limit of their endurance in an attempt to get to the bridge as quickly as possible. Serendipity and the other five horses arrived tired, but not entirely exhausted, after a gruelling hour of non-stop galloping.

Aria herself looked relieved when she looked around to see no other soul save her and her Dragoons (plus Evelyn). Her normally serene waves of brown hair had become a frazzled disaster from being battered by the hour-long ride, but she besides that didn't seem worse for wear. "Good... Looks like the Imperials haven't beaten us to the bridge."

"Ma'am!" Sergeant Lanzrel with all his glorious sideburns looked terrible as he pulled his exhausted horse up next to Serendipity. "Now that we're not moving like as though we're possessed, mind politely telling us what the heck we're doin' out here?"

Aria only pointed a gloved finger across the river and over the hills to the South... "Take a look behind the hills Sergeant." ... pointing to a smoke trail rising from the woods on the other side of the river. It wasn't the kind of smoke that came from a wildfire or a small band; the concentrated plumes was indicative of a large group on the move.

And as Aria began to explain the purpose of their being there; the daunting task faced by the Dragoons became imminent... and the danger Evelyn had been thrown into became near insurmountable...

Captain Hunter explained the situation: The night before, one of the advanced listening posts had spotted a large group of Antari, heading south along the road towards the bridge, perhaps two hundred or so in all. With them were apparently a series of large carts loaded with crates.

"As you well know gentlemen, the harvest season will be upon us in a month's time. It is likely that some Lord of the Imperial Court is attempting a final push against our forces further to the east. I would think it very likely that this force is a supply caravan, loaded down with food or winter supplies for what ever army might be gathering out there. Thus, it is imperative that we stop this force."

It was clear that the Captain was set on battle. A few worried murmurs rattled about in the crowded room. To stop such a force would require immediate action without adequate preparation or reinforcement from the other outposts under the Captain's command, against a force that outnumbered the entire Tierran garrison four-to-one.

"Captain Hunter intends to ambush them as they cross the bridge. He's sending the cavalry element of the garrison (that's to say, us) ahead to scout the area and prepare the ground first, the Captain himself is leading most of the rest of the garrison behind us, and will set up an ambush on the far side of the river." Suddenly it became a lot clearer why Aria was so intent on rushing the entire six-strong force of Dragoons: they were essentially being called in to prepare an ambush happening the same day. It had to have been a last-minute change of plans since Aria was more than a week early in arrival; the whole plan reeked of improvisation and recklessness that could get everyone involved killed.

"When the Calligian column arrives and begins its way across the narrow wooden bridge, Hunter's Grenadiers will attack the flanks and rear of the column. At the same time, we're to occupy the fortified tollhouse on this side of the river, acting as a blocking force to prevent the Calligians from escaping the ambush and continuing down the Imperial Highway."

Last edited:

"Not right now!" Aria's voice was hard to hear over the sound of wind whipping past Evelyn's ears, drowned out further by Serendipity's chuffing and the churning of dirt under six sets of hooves. Whatever was going on, it didn't afford any luxury of time for Aria to be rushing as she was.

"Ma'am!" The shout of Dragoon Sergeant Lanzrel behind Aria was damn-near impossible to hear over the racket of wind and horses in a dead sprint. Evelyn herself could be easily forgiven for not even hearing anyone beyond Aria; their position at the head of the formation made it impossible for Evelyn to really focus on anything. "Where in the hells are we going!?"

"Just follow my damn lead Sergeant!"
The wind whizzing past Evelyn's ears made it hard for her to even hear what short sentences of words were shouted loudly between Aria and the rest of the troop of dragoons. This was most definitely not the welcome she had been hoping for when she had imagined arriving at the outpost earlier the same week. Sure, she hadn't been expecting a warm bath to be readied for her, with servants feeding her grapes, but the Espean hadn't been expecting chaos like this!

It was only after the sounds of rushing water became clear in Evelyn's ears that Aria's destination became obvious.

The Kharan River bridge was built in the days of the Old Empire, spanning the wide, sluggish river at its narrowest point. A series of granite arches carried the roadway from one low bank of the Kharan to the other; the road itself was covered with logs, split and laid flat-side-up, to maintain a manageable surface during the rainy season. On their side of the river, at the very edge of the river bank and not far from the road, an old toll house of fieldstone and wood stood in a dilapidated state of repair.

It had been only ten kilometres from the outpost to the bridge, but the winding path down through the woods made the actual travelling distance feel more like twenty. Normally, it would've been an easy ride of three hours or so, but Aria had been pushing her Dragoons and their horses to the absolute limit of their endurance in an attempt to get to the bridge as quickly as possible. Serendipity and the other five horses arrived tired, but not entirely exhausted, after a gruelling hour of non-stop galloping.

Aria herself looked relieved when she looked around to see no other soul save her and her Dragoons (plus Evelyn). Her normally serene waves of brown hair had become a frazzled disaster from being battered by the hour-long ride, but she besides that didn't seem worse for wear. "Good... Looks like the Imperials haven't beaten us to the bridge."
As the arduous galloping kept on continuing without any seeming end to it, Evelyn merely shut her eyes tight, and held on, as the wind made her eyes sting at the high speed they were going at. Plus, it made her a little less nervous, not seeing what was up ahead.

The sound of water? Evelyn opened her previously squinted shut eyes as she heard the familiar sound. Not just a small stream, but a river.

This was the Kharan River?

She didn't know it personally, only through the brief anecdotes she had gathered from Aria on the way to the outpost. It didn't look all that remarkable, even for a simple farmgirl. "Err... Seems so...?" Evelyn muttered back, still completely lost in terms of what was going on. Turning her eyes away from the toll-house, she ran her fingers through her white head of hair multiple times, using them as a makeshift comb to soothe the mess that was her hair right now, much like Aria's was as well. There were even small bits of dirt in her hair that Serendipity had managed to kick up into the air, sticking out like a sore thumb against the otherwise white head.

"Ma'am!" Sergeant Lanzrel with all his glorious sideburns looked terrible as he pulled his exhausted horse up next to Serendipity. "Now that we're not moving like as though we're possessed, mind politely telling us what the heck we're doin' out here?"

Aria only pointed a gloved finger across the river and over the hills to the South... "Take a look behind the hills Sergeant." ... pointing to a smoke trail rising from the woods on the other side of the river. It wasn't the kind of smoke that came from a wildfire or a small band; the concentrated plumes was indicative of a large group on the move.

And as Aria began to explain the purpose of their being there; the daunting task faced by the Dragoons became imminent... and the danger Evelyn had been thrown into became near insurmountable...

Captain Hunter explained the situation: The night before, one of the advanced listening posts had spotted a large group of Antari, heading south along the road towards the bridge, perhaps two hundred or so in all. With them were apparently a series of large carts loaded with crates.

"As you well know gentlemen, the harvest season will be upon us in a month's time. It is likely that some Lord of the Imperial Court is attempting a final push against our forces further to the east. I would think it very likely that this force is a supply caravan, loaded down with food or winter supplies for what ever army might be gathering out there. Thus, it is imperative that we stop this force."

It was clear that the Captain was set on battle. A few worried murmurs rattled about in the crowded room. To stop such a force would require immediate action without adequate preparation or reinforcement from the other outposts under the Captain's command, against a force that outnumbered the entire Tierran garrison four-to-one.
Evelyn's eyes bounced between Aria, the sergeant, and the enclosing trail of smoke in the distance, across the river. Although she was obviously a few steps behind in figuring what was actually going on, it eventually struck Evelyn as well. "W-Wait, that smoke is...?" She pointed nervously ahead, not even finishing her sentence.

"Captain Hunter intends to ambush them as they cross the bridge. He's sending the cavalry element of the garrison (that's to say, us) ahead to scout the area and prepare the ground first, the Captain himself is leading most of the rest of the garrison behind us, and will set up an ambush on the far side of the river." Suddenly it became a lot clearer why Aria was so intent on rushing the entire six-strong force of Dragoons: they were essentially being called in to prepare an ambush happening the same day. It had to have been a last-minute change of plans since Aria was more than a week early in arrival; the whole plan reeked of improvisation and recklessness that could get everyone involved killed.

"When the Calligian column arrives and begins its way across the narrow wooden bridge, Hunter's Grenadiers will attack the flanks and rear of the column. At the same time, we're to occupy the fortified tollhouse on this side of the river, acting as a blocking force to prevent the Calligians from escaping the ambush and continuing down the Imperial Highway."
And just like that, Evelyn's first question was answered. Her second one, was a bit more urgent though. "H-Hey!" Evelyn turned around to face Aria, still mounted atop the same horse as she interrupted the cornet's briefing. "What am I doing here? You can't possibly expect me to take part in something like that!" Evelyn raised her voice in disbelief, as she wouldn't nor couldn't participate in an ambush against enemy forces. Even if she was able to utilize her powers to somehow help, that would only lead to her being exposed, and then taken advantage of by the winning side of the conflict, whoever it would be.

sek_cloe.png

And just like that, Evelyn's first question was answered. Her second one, was a bit more urgent though. "H-Hey!" Evelyn turned around to face Aria, still mounted atop the same horse as she interrupted the cornet's briefing. "What am I doing here? You can't possibly expect me to take part in something like that!" Evelyn raised her voice in disbelief, as she wouldn't nor couldn't participate in an ambush against enemy forces. Even if she was able to utilize her powers to somehow help, that would only lead to her being exposed, and then taken advantage of by the winning side of the conflict, whoever it would be.

"You're not; you're staying out of this skirmish if I have anything to say." Aria said with certainty, the same confidence that brokered no argument in full-force before she turned her head to her tall Sergeant. "Lanzrel, take the other Dragoons and search the other side of the river; make sure there aren't any Imperials crawling around near the river." She nodded her face towards the direction of the bridge as she spoke. "I'll personally look inside the tollhouse; we'll likely have to fortify it and cut some firing loops if we're going to be spending the battle inside."

"Are you sure that's a good idea Ma'am, going somewhere by yourself? And what are we to do if we do encounter Calligians?" The Sergeant raised a point when he concernedly looked to the decrepit stone-and-wood structure, but the Cornet wouldn't have any of it.

"I'm more than capable of taking care of myself Sergeant; I'm sure I've already proven that to you lot. As for your second question: engage if it's only a few stragglers or scouts. If it's a complement of footmen, pull back across the bridge. It's better I have all of you alive and on the right side of the river when the skirmish begins in earnest." Aria turned her head around to look at each and every one of her Dragoons. "If that's everything, let's get a move on; we only have so much time before the Imperials over yonder start their march again!"

A quick and snappy salute later, and Aria and Evelyn were left alone once more as the Dragoon Sergeant corralled the rest of the patrol into a steady canter over the rickety bridge. The constant sounds of the Kharan River's rapids made for a soothing white noise to accompany the heavy tension in the air; Aria's grim expression as she steered Serendipity towards the tollhouse only further added to the atmosphere of looming dread.

The toll house was empty, but in good shape (the thing was abandoned when the King's Army took control of the bridge) and Aria quickly understood why Captain Hunter would choose for her to take position there with her Dragoons. The walls were thick and solid, better to keep out both the harsh winter and Imperial arrows, and the house itself possessed windows on the second floor facing the bridge: excellent firing ports for archers (or in Aria's case: her Dragoons). In addition, a low wall surrounded the main building and the ramshackle stables hidden on the tollhouse's face opposite of the road, allowing further protection for any sheltering horses.

Still, Aria had to make sure her initial observations were correct, and that meant going inside the tollhouse itself. As she steered Serendipity back to the barely-functional stables, she spoke up to Evelyn.

"Listen, if we had the luxury of time, I would've stopped to drop you off in the camp properly. We didn't though, and since just dumping you in camp with a skeleton crew of Grenadier Guards would be inviting nothing but trouble of the worst kind, bringing you with me was the only option I really had." The way Aria explained her reasoning didn't soothe the fact that she had essentially broken her earlier promise already, putting Evelyn in near-imminent danger by being so close to the scene of a future battle. "I'm not going to drag you into this battle though, not if I can help it. If this tollhouse is sturdy enough, I might have you hide here, away from the worst of the upcoming battle."

"You're not; you're staying out of this skirmish if I have anything to say." Aria said with certainty, the same confidence that brokered no argument in full-force before she turned her head to her tall Sergeant. "Lanzrel, take the other Dragoons and search the other side of the river; make sure there aren't any Imperials crawling around near the river." She nodded her face towards the direction of the bridge as she spoke. "I'll personally look inside the tollhouse; we'll likely have to fortify it and cut some firing loops if we're going to be spending the battle inside."

"Are you sure that's a good idea Ma'am, going somewhere by yourself? And what are we to do if we do encounter Calligians?" The Sergeant raised a point when he concernedly looked to the decrepit stone-and-wood structure, but the Cornet wouldn't have any of it.

"I'm more than capable of taking care of myself Sergeant; I'm sure I've already proven that to you lot. As for your second question: engage if it's only a few stragglers or scouts. If it's a complement of footmen, pull back across the bridge. It's better I have all of you alive and on the right side of the river when the skirmish begins in earnest." Aria turned her head around to look at each and every one of her Dragoons. "If that's everything, let's get a move on; we only have so much time before the Imperials over yonder start their march again!"
Evelyn let out a brief sigh of relief in response, although she knew she was not out of the woods yet. Far from it, actually. Even if Aria had given her word to keep her out of the skirmish, the Espean feared that decision would eventually not be in the hands of the Cornet, if the battle were to get heated enough. Evelyn was not looking forward to the impromptu ambush at all, especially with her even more impromptu involvement in it.

A quick and snappy salute later, and Aria and Evelyn were left alone once more as the Dragoon Sergeant corralled the rest of the patrol into a steady canter over the rickety bridge. The constant sounds of the Kharan River's rapids made for a soothing white noise to accompany the heavy tension in the air; Aria's grim expression as she steered Serendipity towards the tollhouse only further added to the atmosphere of looming dread.

The toll house was empty, but in good shape (the thing was abandoned when the King's Army took control of the bridge) and Aria quickly understood why Captain Hunter would choose for her to take position there with her Dragoons. The walls were thick and solid, better to keep out both the harsh winter and Imperial arrows, and the house itself possessed windows on the second floor facing the bridge: excellent firing ports for archers (or in Aria's case: her Dragoons). In addition, a low wall surrounded the main building and the ramshackle stables hidden on the tollhouse's face opposite of the road, allowing further protection for any sheltering horses.

Still, Aria had to make sure her initial observations were correct, and that meant going inside the tollhouse itself. As she steered Serendipity back to the barely-functional stables, she spoke up to Evelyn.
After the departure of the Dragoons, the two ladies headed for the abandoned toll-house, not far off in the distance. As the two trodded towards the stables, tensions were high. Evelyn could pick up on the tense edge that lingered on the usually calm and collected Aria, although she managed to maintain her usual professional visage.

Once at the stables, Evelyn dismounted the stallion, her feet landing on the hay-covered ground below with a slight grunt. An hour of riding at breakneck speed on top of the horse had made her body sore without even having done anything herself yet.

"Listen, if we had the luxury of time, I would've stopped to drop you off in the camp properly. We didn't though, and since just dumping you in camp with a skeleton crew of Grenadier Guards would be inviting nothing but trouble of the worst kind, bringing you with me was the only option I really had." The way Aria explained her reasoning didn't soothe the fact that she had essentially broken her earlier promise already, putting Evelyn in near-imminent danger by being so close to the scene of a future battle. "I'm not going to drag you into this battle though, not if I can help it. If this tollhouse is sturdy enough, I might have you hide here, away from the worst of the upcoming battle."

"...And bringing me directly to the scene of the battle doesn't invite any trouble at all..." Evelyn muttered back, sarcastically emphasizing her words as she lightly stretched her back in attempts to not make it feel so stiff. She was not pleased at all with having been dragged out onto the site of the battle, almost to the point of anger. However, this was not the time to be angry and argue, she knew that much at least. Whether Evelyn could actually stick to that thought was a completely different question altogether.

"What if it isn't sturdy enough? What if they get inside? What if they start shooting at me? What then?" Evelyn questioned as she placed a hand against the outside wall of the toll-house, as if that would somehow reveal to her how sturdy the building was in an instant. It seemed like her questions were more motivated by trying to poke holes through Aria's ideas, rather than trying to work out solutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back