• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Aether: The Age of Light OOC [being rebooted]

So what's the political landscape in the human empire right now?

So. I need to actually write this out and hear out ideas and stuff but -

A Royal wedding is imminent between the newly crowned King (No name yet) and his Betrothed - A Lady of the Silverwards, the most powerful human family in Aether - Under the Royal family at least. This wedding will actually mark the end of the prologue when the RP begins. The Royal Family officially has complete control of the Kingdom, but the Church of Light is so intertwined with it they most as well be one and the same. It's not too bad honestly - bit of political back stabbing here and there. Orcs in the East are always a concern, no one is quite sure what the Lumen are up to. Lots of worry the Dwarves are gonna do something stupid. Lots of land still remains unexplored and unsecured, even after all this time. New King is also very young, bit obsessed with ancient legends and such. Wants to be a hero.

So. I need to actually write this out and hear out ideas and stuff but -

A Royal wedding is imminent between the newly crowned King (No name yet) and his Betrothed - A Lady of the Silverwards, the most powerful human family in Aether - Under the Royal family at least. This wedding will actually mark the end of the prologue when the RP begins. The Royal Family officially has complete control of the Kingdom, but the Church of Light is so intertwined with it they most as well be one and the same. It's not too bad honestly - bit of political back stabbing here and there. Orcs in the East are always a concern, no one is quite sure what the Lumen are up to. Lots of worry the Dwarves are gonna do something stupid. Lots of land still remains unexplored and unsecured, even after all this time. New King is also very young, bit obsessed with ancient legends and such. Wants to be a hero.
Got it, thanks, just wanted to get an idea of the climate to see if I wanted my charrie to focus more on politics or exploration.

When I'm not busy I have a couple ideas for Dawrven culture to run by you if that's cool.

Silverwards are the ones who hang out at Westcliffe.
Got it, thanks, just wanted to get an idea of the climate to see if I wanted my charrie to focus more on politics or exploration.

When I'm not busy I have a couple ideas for Dawrven culture to run by you if that's cool.

anytime.

Well I was thinking that the nobles believed if the Dragoons grew to strong they would rise up an army and begin attacking them in hopes to take their land and power, like a warlord or something in that nature. I've always pictured nobility being greedy or paranoid so this sort of just fit for me.

Avari Avari

Well I was thinking that the nobles believed if the Dragoons grew to strong they would rise up an army and begin attacking them in hopes to take their land and power, like a warlord of something in that nature. I've always pictured nobility being greedy or paranoid so this sort of just fit for me.

Avari Avari

HmMMMMMMmMmmMmmmm. Honestly, that seems a big of a big step.

BUTT Keeping with the potential crappy noble storyline - Perhaps the Dragoons were sent on a mission to retrieve an odd item, and were wiped out by the Noble's forces when they returned? Perhaps to avoid paying them, or because the Item was a bit of a "no witness" situation
Then you've got a Noble antagonist we could work on, and the question as to what the item was.

Ooh mystery.

HmMMMMMMmMmmMmmmm. Honestly, that seems a big of a big step.

BUTT Keeping with the potential crappy noble storyline - Perhaps the Dragoons were sent on a mission to retrieve an odd item, and were wiped out by the Noble's forces when they returned? Perhaps to avoid paying them, or because the Item was a bit of a "no witness" situation
Then you've got a Noble antagonist we could work on, and the question as to what the item was.

Ooh mystery.
Ooo, I like it. I'll make a few changes now.

Avari Avari

So first off I just gotta say I love the universes you've drawn from and how you put it together. They are a few of my favorites!

Now, on to my idea for the Dwarves, which will be drawing from one of my other favorite universes, Warhammer Fantasy. They still worship their ancestors, but put particular belief in the Ancestor Gods. Basically a few ancestors who were so remarkable they were considered deities of a sort (similar to the Paragons of DA). I figured this would work since gods seem to be closely related to magic, and some Dwarves probably wouldn't want to use human gods. A couple examples of them could be.

1) Ancient of smiting and masonry

2) Ancient of war

3) Ancient of Healing and Clan

Another way Dwarves could do magic is how DA and Warhammer Fantasy do it, Runes. It can be a very rare, almost lost art, but instead of having magi they have Rune Smiths who inlay magic into runes.
Edit: Just to clarify most runes would be adding effects to the users armor and weaponry, such as coating it in flames, providing unnatural strength or durability. Just examples

Also I was wondering if Dwarves in this universe would have any edge of technology, or would Dwarf Fire be the limit on that at this time? Perhaps the Dwarves have started focusing on technology to make up for their lack of numbers? Such as prototype bulderbuss' or even a flintlock pistol?

All just ideas for the race, so let me know if any seem feasible or don't fit. :)

Avari Avari

So first off I just gotta say I love the universes you've drawn from and how you put it together. They are a few of my favorites!

Now, on to my idea for the Dwarves, which will be drawing from one of my other favorite universes, Warhammer Fantasy. They still worship their ancestors, but put particular belief in the Ancestor Gods. Basically a few ancestors who were so remarkable they were considered deities of a sort (similar to the Paragons of DA). I figured this would work since gods seem to be closely related to magic, and some Dwarves probably wouldn't want to use human gods. A couple examples of them could be.

1) Ancient of smiting and masonry

2) Ancient of war

3) Ancient of Healing and Clan

Another way Dwarves could do magic is how DA and Warhammer Fantasy do it, Runes. It can be a very rare, almost lost art, but instead of having magi they have Rune Smiths who inlay magic into runes.

Also I was wondering if Dwarves in this universe would have any edge of technology, or would Dwarf Fire be the limit on that at this time? Perhaps the Dwarves have started focusing on technology to make up for their lack of numbers? Such as prototype bulderbuss' or even a flintlock pistol?

All just ideas for the race, so let me know if any seem feasible or don't fit. :)

So to be clear, the Gods of the Church are not Human gods. They are undeniably real, and have a relationship with all the races in one way or another. Whether they're truly omniscient or simply incredibly powerful and influential spirits is not completely settled. They're not the only ones either. The Goddess of the Earth is unique to the Elves, and of course Mykul is a entity of great power as well.

I don't see why the Dwarves can't have their own paragons as well, but there's likely little evidence they can influence the world. Unlike the God-Spirits who are literally in their back yard.

Technology idea is good. I dig it.

So to be clear, the Gods of the Church are not Human gods. They are undeniably real, and have a relationship with all the races in one way or another. Whether they're truly omniscient or simply incredibly powerful and influential spirits is not completely settled. They're not the only ones either. The Goddess of the Earth is unique to the Elves, and of course Mykul is a entity of great power as well.

I don't see why the Dwarves can't have their own paragons as well, but there's likely little evidence they can influence the world. Unlike the God-Spirits who are literally in their back yard.

Technology idea is good. I dig it.
Got ya, I suppose the Church just seems quite human dominant/run (which makes sense considering population). I just wanted to see if like the Elves, the Dwarves could have something to draw magic from besides the Church. Would that be possible or nah?

And how do you feel about runes for Dwarves? I know it's fairly different so I understand if that should stay out, just figured I'd throw it out there.

Awesome, glad you like the tech idea! =) So would a Dwarf charrie with say a rifle and few gadgets be feasible?

Gonna throw out some ideas for (one of) my character(s) real quick:

So my currently unnamed char is a nobleman who was born into an impoverished family (at least by noble standards). They used to be quite powerful, wielding enough money and influence to rival the Silverwards, but after a combination of poor leadership, economic troubles, and a failed rebellion, they have since fallen out of favor with the Crown and are on the brink of losing their last title. Hence the reason why my character is attending the wedding. He needs to find some way to improve his family's social standing so they can keep their lands for at least another generation.

I was thinking of putting their seat of power at Fort Virtue or maybe Vinistead, if that flies with you.

Gonna throw out some ideas for (one of) my character(s) real quick:

So my currently unnamed char is a nobleman who was born into an impoverished family (at least by noble standards). They used to be quite powerful, wielding enough money and influence to rival the Silverwards, but after a combination of poor leadership, economic troubles, and a failed rebellion, they have since fallen out of favor with the Crown and are on the brink of losing their last title. Hence the reason why my character is attending the wedding. He needs to find some way to improve his family's social standing so they can keep their lands for at least another generation.

I was thinking of putting their seat of power at Fort Virtue or maybe Vinistead, if that flies with you.

Have this failed rebellion happen like, a hundred years ago and the family still feeling the sting of it and I'm game. I can always add new locations, and actually wanted to add a new city and Fortress somewhere. Also tell me why they wanted to rebel in the first place.

Got ya, I suppose the Church just seems quite human dominant/run (which makes sense considering population). I just wanted to see if like the Elves, the Dwarves could have something to draw magic from besides the Church. Would that be possible or nah?

And how do you feel about runes for Dwarves? I know it's fairly different so I understand if that should stay out, just figured I'd throw it out there.

Awesome, glad you like the tech idea! =) So would a Dwarf charrie with say a rifle and few gadgets be feasible?

The issue with magic is that the fuel - mana - just isn't around anymore. The Lumen can use the earth itself, like their ancient ancestors but they're seriously weakened outside of their forest. Dwarves can become Mages yknow. Perhaps rune crafting is a Dwarven art.

Have this failed rebellion happen like, a hundred years ago and the family still feeling the sting of it and I'm game. I can always add new locations, and actually wanted to add a new city and Fortress somewhere. Also tell me why they wanted to rebel in the first place.
I'm still working out some of the details, but in my head, it was a succession crisis.

Basically, a hundred-fifty-something years ago, a lady from my char's family, the House of Varnelle, married into the Royal family and produced a son (no name yet so we'll call him Billy for now). The lady dies some years later of tuberculosis and so the King remarries and bears another son(Timmy).

Twenty years later, the King decides to disinherit Billy in favor of Timmy for reasons I haven't decided on yet. Billy and his maternal family do not take this well, and eventually he and the Varnelles decide to raise their armies and march off to war. They fail. Horribly. About 90% of the Varnelles are dead by year's end, Billy included. As punishment, most of their lands and titles are stripped away, and the family is forced to pay exorbitant reparations for the war that hadn't been repaid in full until ten years ago.

That was basically what spelled their downfall.

I'm still working out some of the details, but in my head, it was a succession crisis.

Basically, a hundred-fifty-something years ago, a lady from my char's family, the House of Varnelle, married into the Royal family and produced a son (no name yet so we'll call him Billy for now). The lady dies some years later of tuberculosis and so the King remarries and bears another son(Timmy).

Twenty years later, the King decides to disinherit Billy in favor of Timmy for reasons I haven't decided on yet. Billy and his maternal family do not take this well, and eventually he and the Varnelles decide to raise their armies and march off to war. They fail. Horribly. About 90% of the Varnelles are dead by year's end, Billy included. As punishment, most of their lands and titles are stripped away, and the family is forced to pay exorbitant reparations for the war that hadn't been repaid in full until ten years ago.

That was basically what spelled their downfall.

I dig it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back