Other A RPN habbit/trend

ShadowHounder

Darkness (Favorite Food: Steak)
This is something I've noticed and have been rather confused about since I joined and even after I left for a few years to recollect myself: Why do so many RPs die due to inactivity? Why are so few RPs here in RPN able to reach the conclusion that their GM planed/found their players pulling them towards?

The people here have so many great ideas and worlds... Yet it seems like one or multiple people going afk (for various reasons, sometimes forced) or dropping a RP due to dwindling interest is enough for entire story to fall apart. My last two RPs ended because the GM themselves either had to be told to stop, while the other (that I got kicked from due to inappropriate behavior which I am working to improve) seems to have died because the GM just vanished.

I would like to find out why this is happening and how we can work to increase activity and allow more stories to be told to their fullest intent.

This is something I've noticed and have been rather confused about since I joined and even after I left for a few years to recollect myself: Why do so many RPs die due to inactivity? Why are so few RPs here in RPN able to reach the conclusion that their GM planed/found their players pulling them towards?

The people here have so many great ideas and worlds... Yet it seems like one or multiple people going afk (for various reasons, sometimes forced) or dropping a RP due to dwindling interest is enough for entire story to fall apart. My last two RPs ended because the GM themselves either had to be told to stop, while the other (that I got kicked from due to inappropriate behavior which I am working to improve) seems to have died because the GM just vanished.

I would like to find out why this is happening and how we can work to increase activity and allow more stories to be told to their fullest intent.

The reason RPs die is partly because of what you stated above, highlighted in red.

When multiple people drop an RP, it usually kills the story for the remaining participants. The reason why is because when RPers quit who have a major role in the RP's plot, its basically the equivalent of your favorite author killing off the most important characters in a book. Even though most of the time that's not "exactly" what happens in an RP, you still have to essentially "write off" other people's characters if you intend to progress the story any further.

Of course, good RPs typically tend to leave room for these characters to rejoin the RP at any time, should the people playing them ever return. Most of the time though, when people return to an RP after being gone for a while, they feel as if the RP has already progressed to the point that they've missed too much of the story. In the event of this happening, it can seem too late to "jump back in" and have fun.

Thats sometimes the case, but most of the time I feel people just lose the desire to participate in an RP that they haven't been a part of in a while.

At the end of the day, all you can do is try to keep your commitment to any RPs that you join. Patience from the other RPers around you is absolutely necessary for any RP to work, as well. If other people are waiting for you and you decide to drop out, you have to be prepared to have a bit of flexibility. Otherwise you're just going to be disappointed that the story continued without you. The most dedicated RPers tend to also have the versatility to write around any plot holes caused by other people's characters dropping out of the RP. The most important thing for any RPer to remember though, is that even if an RP dies completely you can always return to it at a later date and finish the story. An RP is essentially just a book written by multiple people.

Forming friendships with the people you RP with is also a great way to keep track of what other people are doing, and when they might be able to make a post. Some people hate this, but as long as no one is pressuring anybody else to meet a deadline, I don't see an issue with asking what someone else is doing. If you have friends and you're viewing the RP as a fun experience with those friends, the incentive to post goes up considerably. This doesn't mean that everyone's characters have to like each other, because that just makes the story boring. Communication between RPers is absolutely key, however.

I feel like you've just got to find the right people.. Sometimes the right group of people can RP with you for a long period of time.

Been RPing for forever, started on oldskool forums, moved on to Gaia, then came here. I've run many, many games as a GM, stopped for many years, and am starting up GMing again.

In my experience, they die because the group integrity dissolved. What truly breaks a game is the relationships, or ties that bind us. Say the crew was building hype, but the game took too long to start or the key 'hype drivers/writing leaders' are a no-show; the roleplaying game is dead now.

Say OOC drama exploded, and plenty of people are feeling wounded; the game is dead now.

IRL stuff happens; say people move on for various reasons; those characters that were integral are now gone. Game is dead now.

The best way to keep a roleplaying game going is to nurture your players' sense of curiosity, and give them the ability to shine in the ways they wish. Also opening up the door for new people, and making it easy to join the party.

My longest-running RP was 500 pages. It concluded, and the way we got there was giving players the whole-ass opportunity to orient the plot how they wanted. It doesn't work as well nowadays, and structure is important. But I'd say games dying is very much up to the GMs who run them, and barring that, loss of 'plot drivers/leader writers', who help push things along.

Been RPing for forever, started on oldskool forums, moved on to Gaia, then came here. I've run many, many games as a GM, stopped for many years, and am starting up GMing again.

In my experience, they die because the group integrity dissolved. What truly breaks a game is the relationships, or ties that bind us. Say the crew was building hype, but the game took too long to start or the key 'hype drivers/writing leaders' are a no-show; the roleplaying game is dead now.

Say OOC drama exploded, and plenty of people are feeling wounded; the game is dead now.

IRL stuff happens; say people move on for various reasons; those characters that were integral are now gone. Game is dead now.

The best way to keep a roleplaying game going is to nurture your players' sense of curiosity, and give them the ability to shine in the ways they wish. Also opening up the door for new people, and making it easy to join the party.

My longest-running RP was 500 pages. It concluded, and the way we got there was giving players the whole-ass opportunity to orient the plot how they wanted. It doesn't work as well nowadays, and structure is important. But I'd say games dying is very much up to the GMs who run them, and barring that, loss of 'plot drivers/leader writers', who help push things along.
I'd be interested to RP with you and see how it goes :3

I'd be interested to RP with you and see how it goes :3
Hah, I'd like that too! Right now I'm only running one game though (closed apps), and do not know if I have the bandwidth for much else :/

But to reaffirm your struggles; I think it boils down to leadership, and relationships, really. :/

Hah, I'd like that too! Right now I'm only running one game though (closed apps), and do not know if I have the bandwidth for much else :/

But to reaffirm your struggles; I think it boils down to leadership, and relationships, really. :/
Good to know, I'll be sure to keep that in mind moving forward

I launched a poll on why people RP. I feel the results illustrate a lot of the root issues here. Only a small number of people bothered to vote at all, but the data provided speaks volumes.

People largely treat this as a fun hobby where they can anonymously vent their spats of creative inspiration. It's a long, hard process to complete a good, coherent story, and not everyone who tries to do it is actually built to, or even wants to deep down.

The main issue is variety of players. There was a time when play-by-post was an obscure niche in the recesses of the internet. Mostly hardcore writers found their way to RP, and table top people were already pioneering RP so the bulk of them had table top experience.

Today? RP has made it. It's a household hobby now. You have so many different types of writers and players with so many different values, approaches and motives. Finding a group of 5 or more that line up enough creatively, professionally, and in terms of how they look at RP is next to impossible. You try to do some development for Peter, and Paul feels smothered. You try to give Dick some creative freedom, and Harry gets cringed out.

You cannot win.

I like to think of it like clans on mmo games. Most of you have probably played an mmo or two before. There are a few types of players in clans. Some join, get bored and leave. Or find out a friend is in another clan and leave. Others take their time, pick the right clan for the right reasons, and stay until everyone goes inactive. It comes down to real world character. Neither is right or wrong, but you want the player who makes sound decisions and is able to stand by them as a direct result. People who have some sense of loyalty and responsibility for your time.

In this hobbyist culture, I can only bid you good luck.

M.J.'s word of the day is NETWORKING.

Network, network, network.

Last edited:
I launched a poll on why people RP. I feel the results illustrate a lot of the root issues here. Only a small number of people bothered to vote at all, but the data provided speaks volumes.

People largely treat this as a fun hobby where they can anonymously vent their spats of creative inspiration. It's a long, hard process to complete a good, coherent story, and not everyone who tries to do is actually built to, or even wants to deep down.

The main issue is variety of players. There was a time when play-by-post was an obscure niche in the recesses of the internet. Mostly hardcore writers found their way to RP, and table top people were already pioneering RP so the bulk of them had table top experience.

Today? RP has made it. It's a household hobby now. You have so many different types of writers and players with so many different values, approaches and motives. Finding a group of 5 or more that line up enough creatively, professionally, and in terms of how they look at RP is next to impossible. You try to do some development for Peter, and Paul feels smothered. You try to give Dick some creative freedom, and Harry gets cringed out.

You cannot win.

I like to think of it like clans on mmo games. Most of you have probably played an mmo or two before. There are a few types of players in clans. Some join, get bored and leave. Or find out a friend is in another clan and leave. Others take their time, pick the right clan for the right reasons, and stay until everyone goes inactive. It comes down to real world character. Neither is right or wrong, but you want the player who makes sound decisions and is able to stand by them as a direct result. People who have some sense of loyalty and responsibility for your time.

In this hobbyist culture, I can only bid you good luck.

M.J.'s word of the day is NETWORKING.

Network, network, network.
Ya know... I've always been told to network and branch out to find other like minded individuals online to complete a vision... But I have never been told how to network or when one should look to network.

Every time you RP. I might have had an advantage mostly GMing, but you can still pay attention to the players. Who stays committed and invested to the project? Who contributes to the OOC development? Who writes well and does good plot work? Who communicated well with you, if you did communicate?

Things like this will tell you who will be a valuable co-writer on a serious vision project.

In order to network, make friends. Communicate with people throughout the RP. Always gauge them directly on whether or not they like to talk about IC stuff just prior to posting together. This is the best way to make a life-long friend who will want to work with you again. Follow people, add them, like their best IC posts. Things like this will subconsciously build a relationship as decivey as the last few sound.

Every time you RP. I might have had an advantage mostly GMing, but you can still pay attention to the players. Who stays committed and invested to the project? Who contributes to the OOC development? Who writes well and does good plot work? Who communicated well with you, if you did communicate?

Things like this will tell you who will be a valuable co-writer on a serious vision project.

In order to network, make friends. Communicate with people throughout the RP. Always gauge them directly on whether or not they like to talk about IC stuff just prior to posting together. This is the best way to make a life-long friend who will want to work with you again. Follow people, add them, like their best IC posts. Things like this will subconsciously build a relationship as decivey as the last few sound.
Are there ways to translate this concept into other mediums and/or careers?

Couldn't have said it better!

Imo it's hard work for people to write a long time with the same characters in the same plot, but easy fun to create characters in a new project. It's fun for everyone when things boot up because there's curiosity, characters are new and exciting, people rapid post because it's the new toy to play with and everyone is great friends OOC. Amazing!

Then the hard work kicks in, it's not as fun on post #20 as #1. Characters aren't new exciting toys but old, sometimes poorly made and not fun to write after initial gimmicks tire. Then there's OOC honeymoons fading out, people aren't always the friends you'd expect. Beyond that, maybe drama surfaces between members? Even if it's only a couple people, others pick sides building schisms. I've seen that a few times and it murders atmosphere, killing the RP.

Back to the core though, writing characters for long periods is rewarding because of payoffs, but you need work to build payoffs. They don't spawn random, building through effort instead. That effort is the grind of writing over and over as initial hype falls. At the same time fun-factor thins with luster fading and what you see is effort rising as reward drops; when the two lines cross in the middle people drop. Others stay bearing the challenge, but when the character section is a graveyard only a few mad-dog players continue.

Last edited:
Imo it's hard work to write a long time with the same characters in the same plot, but easy fun to create characters in a new project. It's fun for everyone when things boot up because there's curiosity, characters are new and exciting, people rapid post because it's the new toy to play with and everyone is great friends OOC. Amazing!

Then the hard work kicks in, it's not as fun on post #20 as #1. Characters aren't new exciting toys but old, sometimes poorly made and not fun to write after initial gimmicks tire. Then there's OOC honeymoons fading out, people aren't always the friends you'd expect. Beyond that, maybe drama surfaces between members? Even if it's only a couple people, others pick sides building schisms. I've seen that a few times and it murders atmosphere, killing the RP.

Back to the core though, writing characters for long periods is rewarding because of payoffs, but you need work to build payoffs. They don't spawn random, building through effort instead. That effort is the grind of writing over and over as motivation falls, it's not easy. At the same time fun-factor wears thin and what you see is effort rising while reward drops; when the two lines cross in the middle people drop. Others stay bearing the challenge, but when the character section is a graveyard only a few mad-dog players continue.

Is it just me who prefers rp once you've been playing a long while and the characters and their relationships are richer? When you've got a bunch of story behind you that influences what you do next? When characters change as people do and their not the same person they were to start with? When villains are halfway down the path of redemption and heroes are questioning themselves?

It's really hard for me to think of this part of an rp as grinding or the reward dropping or becoming less fun.

Much as I love the start of RPs, I love them because of the potential of getting into the middle of them. For my characters' flaws to trip them up, for them to start seeing things differently, and also by writing for them, to learn things about myself.

Imo it's hard work to write a long time with the same characters in the same plot, but easy fun to create characters in a new project. It's fun for everyone when things boot up because there's curiosity, characters are new and exciting, people rapid post because it's the new toy to play with and everyone is great friends OOC. Amazing!

Back to the core though, writing characters for long periods is rewarding because of payoffs, but you need work to build payoffs. They don't spawn random, building through effort instead. That effort is the grind of writing over and over as motivation falls, it's not easy. At the same time fun-factor wears thin and what you see is effort rising while reward drops; when the two lines cross in the middle people drop. Others stay bearing the challenge, but when the character section is a graveyard only a few mad-dog players continue.

Sounds like actually telling a story isn't for you. Chat-based is a form that by definition is something you would live to die for. In chat-based RP continuing the story, setting, or characters you had the last time, or 30 minutes ago, is entirely optional. It provides quick, spontaneous bursts of RP. A lot of people say they use it to stay sharp under pressure/rando shit, as well as dry run/fine tune characters for play-by-post.

It's not for me but it sounds like it's exactly your cup of tea vs forum-based. The point of forums is to finish. Whether it's a 20 page short, or 20k page odyssey; getting there is sort of supposed to be a foregone conclusion. The drop-out behavior prevents those who want to finish from doing so.

Sounds like actually telling a story isn't for you. Chat-based is a form that by definition is something you would live to die for. In chat-based RP continuing the story, setting, or characters you had the last time, or 30 minutes ago, is entirely optional. It provides quick, spontaneous bursts of RP. A lot of people say they use it to stay sharp under pressure/rando shit, as well as dry run/fine tune characters for play-by-post.

It's not for me but it sounds like it's exactly your cup of tea vs forum-based. The point of forums is to finish. Whether it's a 20 page short, or 20k page odyssey; getting there is sort of supposed to be a foregone conclusion. The drop-out behavior prevents those who want to finish from doing so.

What I wrote is an observation of RPN users, not a self centered explanation. Nice try my dude.

Edit

Crayons Crayons seconded. Characters in the beginning aren't even defined yet, all the fun is in discovery. It requires work but it's the best part of the hobby. Having depth to relationships and rivalries, knowing your character fully - All that > run of the mill character creation + RP introduction that everyone's done a thousand times.

Last edited:

But a story is meaningless without unique, relatable characters... Especially ones that develop and change over time...

Is it just me who prefers rp once you've been playing a long while and the characters and their relationships are richer? When you've got a bunch of story behind you that influences what you do next? When characters change as people do and their not the same person they were to start with? When villains are halfway down the path of redemption and heroes are questioning themselves?

It's really hard for me to think of this part of an rp as grinding or the reward dropping or becoming less fun.

Much as I love the start of RPs, I love them because of the potential of getting into the middle of them. For my characters' flaws to trip them up, for them to start seeing things differently, and also by writing for them, to learn things about myself.
I definitely agree here. A good story can be made all the more better with fun, creative and relatable character who grow and change (and sometimes end up far worse then how they started). It's that idea of learning what drives them to do what they do, seeing how they approach challenge or stress, watching them overcome obstacles both physical and mental. If a gimmick is what defines a character, then it's a poorly written one who needs to be taken by to drafting.

I would actually recommend you watch a youtuber called Totally Not Mark. He has a video series where he breaks down characters from Dragon Ball Z (and other series) to explain the archetype, why the character works and in what cases did a certain character falter. I've learned a lot about writing from his series :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back