• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern A Matter of Worth [In-Character]

Luke followed the group towards the training room. He set his board against a nearby bench outside of the ring, removing his shirt and placing it against the bench as well. His socks and shoes followed, leaving him solely in a pair of boxers and cargo shorts. Under this, his skin transformed a smooth and reflective silver color, his eyes transitioned from brown to a light gray as well. His hair retreated under the shell of the metal coating, as his entire body was now the shiny new color.

Grabbing the silver surf board in one hand, it swiftly turned into a malleable substance around his torso, floating around his body in multiple swaying balls of silver, giving of the illusion of a water-like substance. His eyes were set on the ring though, that Sasha and Carbon would soon be entering. The swishing of amorphous silver was solely for prepping, like warming up for using his powers. A lot of how he fought was adapting, and returning attacks.

"A'ight, I call third! And can we speed this up, I'm tryna' fight too."
Birdsie Birdsie _gallifrog_ _gallifrog_ Kana.M. Kana.M. Eldarkon Eldarkon Space_Kaiser Space_Kaiser Epiphany Epiphany Shinrinyuko Shinrinyuko Damafaud Damafaud June Verles June Verles

Chapter 3: Occupational Hazard
Damafaud Damafaud _gallifrog_ _gallifrog_ June Verles June Verles Epiphany Epiphany Inheritance Inheritance fin fin Space_Kaiser Space_Kaiser

AN: Because the player of Carbon Dragon is out for this week, we need to do some... alterations.

First of all, a second IC thread has been created. You may use it for sparring or other interactions outside of the main story - I expect the sparring you've all planned to have to continue there once Kaiser comes back.

Besides that, we will be starting Chapter 3 early.

By early, I mean now.

May 28th, 2019 (Friday)
15:55

Zachariah (but everyone calls him Zach, and so should you,) Weller, mayor of New York City was a pessimistic and cynical man. He'd put on the show of a cultured and passionate mayor for the citizens - to rouse their hearts, create the image of a crusader against the wrongs of the world - but behind that, he was a bitter man, who lived his entire life bitterly, mostly drinking bourbon and smoking cigars in a shadowy room of his villa.

In hindsight, it was strange people didn't read that just from his appearance. He was tall and brawny, intimidating when he wasn't smiling. He had short-cropped gray hair, with white streaks at the sides, and the cigar often seen in his mouth would be enough to assume he was a mob boss. Especially if he wore a suit and fedora, though he preferred an open suit without a tie as far as dressing arrangements went.

Ever since he was a boy, all the way to this day, he didn't allow himself to be anything but tough as nails.

He wasn't corrupt, never, no. That was both bad for business and for the people, and he cared for the people. Even if he didn't admit it to himself, he would almost gladly give his life for this city, even though its method of raising him up was dark, and the things he did were even darker.

Perhaps that was it. Redemption.

A bitter man, wanting a different end, and trying to absolve his mistakes by making life a little bit better for everyone. He didn't think about it, and no one knew him well enough to make such projections, but that was probable. Just a man, trying to atone for mistakes and crimes from his early years.

He even had a reminder from the days of his misspent youth on his left shoulder; a tattoo of a dagger, the hilt of which transitioned into a snake that coiled around the blade. A small gang that fell through almost as quickly as it appeared, courtesy of the original Liberty League.

These traits are perhaps the reason why, despite being so bitter, he could get along with heroes, including the number one on the planet.

Avatar descended to the backstage like a missile, stopping only a few feet above the ground, a coil of yellow brighter than his typical aura surrounding him. He floated down and once his feet hit the ground, the aura receded.

Zach pulled his cigar out of his mouth and shook the hero's hand. "Avatar," he grumbled in greeting.

"Mayor Weller," the hero greeted respectfully. He looked around tentatively. "Where's Mr. Vargas?"

"He's not arrived yet," Zach replied, putting the cigar back in. He frowned when he noticed it wasn't lit anymore, must have went out with the wind from Avatar's arrival.

The hero smiled and moved his thumb up to the mayor's face, his finger going aflame like a matchstick.

"Thanks," Zach muttered, lighting his cigar on Avatar's thumb. He took a large whiff, held it in his lungs for 2.6 seconds, then let the smoke out through his mouth and nose. His features relaxed as he took the cigar back out and said, "Vargas should be here any moment now. Go talk to your team; I've got the speech prepared."

Avatar nodded, then walked to a different room backstage and entered through the door.

"Hello, Brigadiers!" he called to the team. "Are you ready for the awards ceremony?"

The May 21st Awards Ceremony for the Nebula Brigade announced only a week ago. The team had barely existed for a month - less than that, even, a few weeks - and the city decided to greet it in thanks. The ceremony was funded by a philanthropist, one Geoff Vargas, the CEO of Blueanvil Industries, a prestigious corporation with its headquarters in New York.

Vargas was corrupt, and that much was clear to anyone who looked at his business and squinted a little bit. Nonetheless, Director Jepsen wasn't one to jump a gift-shark in the mouth, and the Global Champions' vote didn't prove conclusive enough to overrule her decision.

Besides, security was top-notch. The police department spared several police cruisers and an emergency riot team, there were ambulances nearby, a fire engine, and an MTR truck ready for response. That's not to mention the obvious fact that the recipients of the awards were super-heroes, and the Avatar offered to do a quick check of security before he had to go off into space for some mission the details of which were 'beyond classified,' according to Director Jepsen. Something related to intergalactic law-keeping, she said.

Either way, security was tight, in part because Graviton's gear was stolen while in transit. May have been Graviton not wanting to lose his equipment, or Graviton preparing for something. Either way, they didn't take chances.

Last edited:
Christopher Sanches-Martin

Chris was tired, extremely tired, the kind of tired where you at to do nothing more than crawl into a warm place, curl up into a ball and sleep for two weeks straight. He had to suppress the urge to collapse on the floor and give up on life. Chris was seated in one corner of the room where the rest of the Brigade had assembled. Every few minutes either his phone, his radio or his pager would crackle into life with some form of message. This was accompanied by Kit's extreme crankiness and grumbling.

"This is such a waste of time, and money and police hours. All the cops being paid overtime is expensive! If they can get this kind of money for a ceremony invented a few weeks ago, why can't they get this kind of money for general funding? The PD is badly in need of an everything upgrade, or maybe just entire New Facilities. This is such a farce! I wish I was outside, slumming it with Hawk and them lot. At least then we could fall asleep in peace! I swear if some idiot villain shows up and attacks this thing I am going to be PISSED! That villain will be bitch slapped into next year so fast he'll break the laws of physics"

Chris pulled his coffee mug closer to him, wrapping his hands around it, trying to eke the warmth out of it. The mug was emblazoned with the NYPD logo and said "just don't ask" on it.

Then Avatar arrived, glowing and not the slightest bit exhausted. He turned to the team and asked
"Hello, Brigadiers!" he called to the team. "Are you ready for the awards ceremony?"

Chris just had to respond to that. "as ready as I can be after 38 hours straight of work, most of which was planning for this thing. And planning this thing is a nightmare. Getting already overworked cops to work more hours at a fancy ceremony when they'd rather be on the street is freaking hard! And the meetings required to organise it, they are so mind-numbingly tedious. And you'd swear I was the chief of police by the amounts of meetings I had to attend and problems I have to solve. Just because I'm the only person with any contact with the Nebula Brigade doesn't mean I have to be consulted on absolutely every micro detail. And how they can get money for this and not find enough to pay for new squad cars is beyond me! To be honest, I'd rather be out there in the crowd with the squad, than on stage. My sister has been non-stop complaining about almost the same things in my ear for the past ages. I'm about 75% coffee at the moment, and I am very likely to just collapse due to overwork" he paused, took a sip ffromthe coffee mug. As he looked up, it seemed as if he was wearing a black domino mask, but on closer inspection it was actually the giant black shadows around his eyes. He grimaced at the taste and ignored the looks everyone was giving him, before continuing "and the coffee is awful. But apart from that, I wouldn't miss it for the world!" he finished

Birdsie Birdsie Thepotatogod Thepotatogod Kana.M. Kana.M. Eldarkon Eldarkon Space_Kaiser Space_Kaiser Epiphany Epiphany Shinrinyuko Shinrinyuko Damafaud Damafaud June Verles June Verles

Last edited:
Dr. Solstice
An award? This early? But they hadn't done anything...they had just kind of...formed. After watching his love spar-something that captivated him even more every time he saw her. The concentration in her eyes, and the fluidity of her movements; she was perfect, and he was a fortunate man to have her as his wife. Ever since they had been back together, he had tried to be with her as much as possible. It had been a long several months without her, and while he loved exploring the blue planet and the wonders of these earthlings, he still had a great void in his heart. Finding her was all he needed to fill it, and he never got tired of being with her.

"Riya, I have spent a good deal of time around these people, but I still don't understand their need to pointlessly give out awards! We haven't done anything worth giving out awards to." He chuckled and looked at her. "How is sparring going? Are these people a good challenge? I was never for swords but I know you are very talented."
Epiphany Epiphany

Commander Liberty
What's that now? An award? About damn time. These nut jobs have kept him bored and chained. He couldn't fly around the states like he wanted to when he was in the brigade, he was stuck screwing around with these other heroes while they all sat on their asses and watched grass grow. At least an award ceremony could draw out people that wanted to hurt them, and action could come. That also came with the fact that he could show off for a crowd-something that always entertained him.

He missed California. The beaches, the mountains, the forests. He loved New York, but he didn't like staying in one place for long-except California. He found set up his home in Mt. Rushmore, but could more often be found in California than anywhere else.

"Not Brigaderes. Never Brigaders." He stood and shot an annoyed glare at Avatar. "Heroes, gentleman...but never Brigaders. This isn't an anime."

Birdsie Birdsie

5724e3c28ea1e2788477ebe4503621c4--silver-surfer-trading-cards.jpg

Silver
aka Lucas King Jr.

Lucas was in his iconic 'Silver' form, his skin a shiny, silver metal, and retained the same properties of course. His board leaned against a nearby wall, and he didn't plan on bringing it out with him for the ceremony. As for his attire, rather than the shirtless, silver hero with cargo pants over his lower body, Lucas had been gifted with a skin-tight suit that was firm against him, stopping just at his neck, at his forearms, and down to his ankles. His metallic head, arms, and feet were the only things that were revealed, his suit a weave of multiple fibers and properties that when dormant (currently it was dormant) was a deep black, the Nebula Brigade emblem against his right shoulder, and a silver belt around his waist. When he willed, the rest of the suit was also able to 'silver-fy' and bend the same as the rest of Lucas. A kind gift from Techno-Paladin before the ceremony.

Silver looked up from his phone as the Avatar returned backstage, his heart pounding a thousand times faster than it was supposed to. He couldn't sweat in his silver form, but it was obvious in his light gray eyes, he was very nervous for the occasion. Lucas was never one for awards throughout his childhood, and hadn't worked for anything like he had now to be a super hero. Hundreds of thousands of citizens now waited to see the 'Brigadiers' each receive their medals of- well, integration into the Nebula Brigade and ultimately recognized as super heroes in their own right.

Silver nodded slightly at Avatar. "Now, or never, coach." He grinned as he spoke, standing up as he shrugged lightly to relieve himself of the nerves. "Let's get a show on. No need to douse the moment. The star-sprangled banner can sit for a day." Lucas' eyes bounced against Commander Liberty's and back to Avatar and the door.

Birdsie Birdsie Inheritance Inheritance _gallifrog_ _gallifrog_

[NPCs]

Avatar lifted a confused eyebrow. "Anim-ey? Like those, um," - Avatar converted 50% of his secondary power pool into Remote Technopathy and searched for the definition of the word in under a second - "Japanese TV shows? I don't watch TV, except for news, but when I do, it's usually through technopathy while I'm busy with something else."

The golden hero turned to Chris with a touch of sympathy. A darker hue of silver washed over Chris' body, removing fatigue toxins, renovating exhausted cells and muscles, and performing general maintenance. It also purged caffeine from his system and replaced it with a safer, slightly more efficient form of modafinil; potentially improving his cognition, mood, and removing physical and mental stress for several hours. And - just to improve his spirits a little - Avatar had his brain excrete the slightest bit of dopamine - he deserved a break.

"There. That should at least help you get through the rest of the day, but don't forget to sleep. This is a temporary measure at best. You might feel fine, even newly born, but your body still needs the rest, okay?" Avatar reprimanded like a doting father.

Avatar looked at Silver, appraising his reaction and responding with a nod of approval.

He looked at the team in general and stated, "You're bound for entry in around fifteen minutes. The mayor will call you onto the stage. Just get ready, and try not to be bothered by all the cameras. I'll go have a word with the chief of security for the event - villains like to attack displays like these, so please be careful. Come find me if you need me, but I won't be staying for the entire ceremony. I'm off into space in a few minutes after the security check."

He scanned the room, to confirm if anyone had something to add or ask.

Damafaud Damafaud _gallifrog_ _gallifrog_ June Verles June Verles Epiphany Epiphany Inheritance Inheritance fin fin Space_Kaiser Space_Kaiser Noble Scion Noble Scion

Last edited:

Avatar came over to Chris hugged some kind of weirdo hero glowy thing, Chris was too tired to think of a good name for it. But whatever it was it worked, he definitely felt invigorated and more wake than he had the past few days. He could feel his tiredness dripping sway, his brain becoming more alert and his muscles less tired. His coffee craving had also vanished. And the effect seemed to have spread to Kit as well. "whatever that was, I feel brilliant! There needs to be a magic version of this. There just be one somewhere, considering we made a magical hangover cure, we should definitely be able to make some kind of magic pop-up thing." He wondered if Avatar had felt Kits presence while reviving Chris. Judging by his levels of power, it seemed very unlikely that he would remain oblivious to there being a second consciousness in his body

Avatar then proceded to tell him what he had already figured out- It was a temporary measure that would last just about the day and he needed to sleep properly afterwards. "thanks for that. And as for me, sleeping doesn't worry, I most definitely will. Once this is over I'm going to go home, collapse and sleep for a week".

Then his phone rang, for the millionth time. He picked it up " Parra here, what services can I, your friendly neighbourhood NYPD vigilante provide for you today?" he asked his tone a mix of frustration and amusement. He listened briefly opened a swirling portal, pulled on his masks and stepped through.

Birdsie Birdsie Thepotatogod Thepotatogod Kana.M. Kana.M. Eldarkon Eldarkon Space_Kaiser Space_Kaiser Epiphany Epiphany Shinrinyuko Shinrinyuko Damafaud Damafaud June Verles June Verles

Last edited:
S5EJVyP.png
Mercy

Inheritance Inheritance
New York continues to be a thrilling place full of mystery and wonder. Especially now that she's been reunited with her husband. Settled backstage into a couch while waiting for the award ceremony to get underway, Mercy's content to rest her head on his shoulder while watching the rest of the Nebula Brigade mix and mingle. In the time they'd spent together, she'd come to see them fondly. They were strange men and women but they were mortals, so it was to be expected.

Smiling, Mercy looks up at Dr. Solstice and pats his cheek fondly. "They're mortals," she says, as if that explains everything. Shrugging, she adds "Although perhaps they aren't so different. Even on Mount Meru, our people love an excuse for a feast, a celebration, even a parade. Perhaps they need the pretense, to justify having one? I suppose we could ask them."

His latter question draws a pause from Riya, followed by a slow nod. "A good challenge, yes. They don't fight like anyone I'd ever fought before. Most of them don't use swords at all. It's a different world, this Earth, but I'm learning. Adapting, as they say here. I'll feel more comfortable with what I've been studying once I have a chance to test it against an actual adversary, outside of training."

"And how about you, my love? Have you found anything to divert you in this mundane land?"

Inheritance Inheritance
The arrival of Commander Liberty adds an amused twist to the smile on the Goddess' lips. He'd made a spectacular first impression originally. In the time she's known him, he more or less has lived up to that impression at every encounter. His dispute of the Mayor's title for the team seems inappropriate, though, and Mercy frowns while glancing between the men to see how the Mayor will react.

fin fin
Silver's wish to get on with the show is understandable, and she nods along to it.

Birdsie Birdsie
With the Avatar's presence, Mercy seems content to let the others throng him. Comfortably sat with her husband, the Goddess speaks from her position as the Avatar wraps up his conversation with the team. "Thank you, Avatar. As always, your presence here inspires us with what we might some day accomplish. Your time is valuable and that you spend it with us does us credit. May we do you credit as well today." Bowing her head in formal acknowledgement, Mercy's content to let the superhero carry on.

[NPCs] - Central Park

The mayor's speech was rich and salutory; happy in a manner that he wasn't used to. He hyped up the team of superheroes, who'd been stopping crime across the city for the last few weeks, managing to stop several robberies, muggings, and other crimes, and implying how going forward, their exemplary service to the city would only expand and rise as they developed and honed their skills and - hopefully - kick-started the process of moving on to a better future.

"With that, I welcome... the Nebula Brigade!"

Lights flared across the stage, and the team walked out from the left side of the backstage, people in the audience clapping and wooing. After the mayor had given everyone a handshake and allowed everyone a brief introduction with the audience, (this wasn't a press conference, but some PR presence had to be maintained,) the mayor took over again.

"And I'd also like to welcome, who is here with us today, Mr. Geoff Vargas, who funded today's ceremony!"

Another man, from the front row, separated by safety railings from the rest of the audience, made his way to the top of the stage and walked up to shake the mayor's hand.

Mayor Weller barely kept his face straight when their palms met, and although inaudible, as they were away from the microphone, the two had a brief exchange of words before the mayor picked up the microphone and handed it to Mercy - who stood the closest to him - offering the team the chance to say something.

Damafaud Damafaud _gallifrog_ _gallifrog_ June Verles June Verles Epiphany Epiphany Inheritance Inheritance fin fin Space_Kaiser Space_Kaiser Noble Scion Noble Scion

Last edited:
S5EJVyP.png
Mercy

Accepting the microphone, Mercy peers at it for a moment before remembering how the Mayor held it. She straightens, glad she's remained in her 'costume' of divinely spun crimson-and-gold cloth that passes for her daily wear back home. The ancient, enchanted blade sheathed at her side sways and her left hand braces the hilt to steady it while her right raises the microphone close to her mouth.

"People of New York, the Nebula Brigade is honored to serve the citizens of this fine city!" She allows a second for any cheering before continuing. "Much like all of you, our team comes from many places, many walks of life. Like you, we have different sets of skills and abilities. And like you, we're driven to use those skills and abilities on behalf of our fellow man when disaster strikes."

"New York City is no stranger to disaster, whether it's weather or supervillainry. In studying the recent history of this city, I'm humbled and proud of how you've rallied in the face of danger. All of us here in the Nebula Brigade will strive to use our gifts, powers and training to follow in your footsteps, serving this city and setting the example for public defense in partnership with the Global Champions. Thank you for your warm welcome and we'll see you on the streets!"

Cassidy Kane
aka Hazard
Today was a day unlike any other. The public introduction and celebration of the newest roster of Nebula Brigade super heroes. Civilians far and wide had gathered to watch the ceremony unfold. A celebration of the metahumans that risked their lives day in and day out, using their unique gifts to better the world rather than take advantage of it. Humble, Cassidy thought to himself sarcastically. Cassidy was seated among the crowd, though most had stood up, erupting in cheers and clapping as the mayor finished his first sentence, "... Brigade." Cassidy sat through the introductions, but was here for another purpose.

"Geoff Vargas..." The mayor spoke. Under his dark glasses, Cassidy squinted his red eyes with hatred, adjusting his baseball cap over his glasses as if nervous someone would notice the devil-eyed glare. His eyes were glued onto Vargas, then glanced down to his left arm. Beneath his beige trench coat, around his arm was a large bracelet of buttons and gadgets which were only the commencement of his plan. Geoff Vargas was a crooked businessman that used Bluenavil as a cover for his underground plans. It was Cassidy- or the latter, Hazard's, job to apprehend the sinner and put him to justice. Or a gruesome death. Whatever came first. But it all starts with the machinery bracelet he had on his left arm, one that controlled what used to be the villain Graviton's equipment. Since stolen, of course.

As the speech came to an end, Cassidy's plan was to start. Cassidy stood up from his seat, walking towards the aisle and forwards nonchalantly. Around the civilians' area, four gravity devices had been placed in each corner, forming a box around the citizens. He'd modified Graviton's technology enough to formulate these gadgets, and at the click of the button, the ground beneath the citizens glowed a bright blue hue. A sea of light as the machines lit up, and thin lasers of blue lights, darker than the blue light over the ground connected until the square was perfect. The citizens groaned as they realized they no longer had the ability to move any part of their body upwards, and were being pulled towards the Earth with the medium force of Graviton's equipment. Enough to keep regular humans captive.

Cassidy on the other-hand, had retreated from his seat earlier, his current whereabouts unknown.

Carbon Dragon_l.png

Carbon Dragon

When he and his fellow team members were told that there would be an award ceremony commemorating their deeds, he was not as ecstatic as his compatriots. After sparring with some of his teammates, he quickly had someone fashion a coat to cover most of his body save for his arms. This did hinder his ability in combat but, due to his situation, he mostly played a support/tank role. He would take up most of the damage against his teammates while they went in, occasionally attacking as well. Carbon was also a scout, relaying information to his teammates in advance before they approached the scene. While his 'costume' did perplex the rest fo Nebula Brigade, but he always assured them that it was beautiful and to trust him whenever they asked about it.

He stated to the others that he would not be on stage, and instead be on the lookout in the event of the case something happens. His reasoning, as he explained, was that events like these are always attacked no matter the security. He did leave his comms on, so if they needed to communicate then he would be readily available. As such, he found himself a perch up above that overlooked the stage as well as the crowd. As he witnessed the speeches, the applause, the praise he noticed someone get up from their seat and begin to move. This didn't alarm Carbon, the guy probably had to take a piss or something.

What did alert him, however, was the sudden appearance blue lights began to appear around the crowd. Seeing that they were unable to move, Carbon knew that this was some of the stolen Graviton tech. He knew that whoever left the crowd was the one who did this. Thankfully, as a precautionary measure, he had marked everyone in the crowd. Anyone that got up and left would have an extra layer of outlining around them, and if they came back then it would go away. Using this outline around this man, he left his perch and began to head towards the man.

"Carbon Dragon to Nebula Brigade, suspicious person spotted and heading to their position." He said into the comm channel as he traveled to the person marked. He approached stealthily, using his Silent Step to sneak towards the outline as he got close. Then he materialized his shield and sword, as he doesn't know the threat of the target, and approached them. "Hey pal, mind explaining what you just did?" He said getting in a readying stance. "Hand over the device you used to trap those civilians and we can talk this out." As much as Carbon wanted to shield bash this guy into the wall, he knew that it wasn't 'hero etiquette' so using he would diplomatic means first.

Interactions: Hazard ( fin fin )
Over the Comms: Sanches-Martin ( _gallifrog_ _gallifrog_ ), Dr. Solstice & Commander Liberty ( Inheritance Inheritance ), Mercy ( Epiphany Epiphany ), GM ( Birdsie Birdsie ) and everyone else I forgot to mention

Chris looked out over the crowd. It was hard to believe that all these people had come out purely to see the Brigade. He hadn't idea they would be this popular. From his vantage point, he could see all the various groups of policemen and women stationed throughout the crowd. In particular, he took note of the squad of four at the far right side of the crowd. Even though he like working with the rest of the brigade, it was nice to know his squad was there and had his back.

He accepted the microphone when Mercy passed it to him. He stepped forward and spoke, already knowing what he was going to say. "Hey, New York, and all those who made the journey to be here today. Thank you for coming out today and showing us what and who we are fighting for"

"I'd also like to extend my thanks to all those people who made it possible to be here- The NYPD, the fire department, the bomb squad, the meta response team, anyone who had to beg their employees to work extra overtime hours today." loud cheering emerged from all the assembled police and volunteers.

"A few special mentions. The detectives Sanches and Sanches for those countless hours of meetings you attended to ensure that this thing ran smoothly. The members of precinct 17, for being amazing people and doing their job, even though as any cop can tell you it ain't easy- keep it up, we need more like you out protecting this city. The Hawk Squad- you know why!" All the relevant cops were grinning at this, knowing exactly why they were being called out.

"and of course Connor the coffee machine!" this got the biggest laugh of all from the cops. "always there when we need you. Thanks again for coming out today, and remember don't commit crimes, people! Cos if the PD doesn't catch you the brigade will"

He stepped back passing the microphone on to the person next to him. It had only been less than thirty seconds before Carbon Dragon came on the comms about suspicious activity. He might to himself and put in his second comm unit. "heads up guys, suspicious activity"

Birdsie Birdsie Thepotatogod Thepotatogod Kana.M. Kana.M. Eldarkon Eldarkon Space_Kaiser Space_Kaiser Epiphany Epiphany Shinrinyuko Shinrinyuko Damafaud Damafaud June Verles June Verles fin fin

5724e3c28ea1e2788477ebe4503621c4--silver-surfer-trading-cards.jpg
Silver
aka Lucas King Jr.

Silver smirked subtly at his place on the stage, eyes scanning the crowd with restrained glee. He was making a conscious effort to hold back his joy at the current events. The celebration was for him and his comrades, and though he was only relatively new to the job, this would only add more to his determination. The ability to give the city a feeling of safety, safe enough to set aside and entire day for the heroes. He'd have to uphold it.

Lucas' shiny hands clasped tightly around the microphone as his turn came around to speak. His heart beat accelerated tenfold, but he played it off cool as he spoke. "Can't believe we've come this far, New York." The crowd cheered at even just the first sentence, among cardboard cut outs of the other heroes, fans waved large smiling posters of Silver, and various "i luv you" comments on them. A majority of his fanbase were teen girls, coincidentally. "Like everyone's doin', I'd just like to thank my friends and family back home. The whole organization," he glanced to his side at Avatar, "and my teammates of course. Without the trust you guys let me feel comfortable with, I wouldn't be able to risk my life the way I do. I dunno, I'm not too good with speeches, so thanks New York. Expect more from the Nebula-"

His sentence was cut off as bright blue lights stretched across the grass beneath the civilians, a sort of box around them. He could see the struggling the people endured, even before Carbon mentioned it on the comms. Silver tapped his right ear, enabling the mic of his comm, and was still audible to the heroes around him, "Yeah, it's an ambush. Thought security was tight?" He released his pressure on the comms, turning to his present teammates. "We should keep eyes on Vargas and the mayor. Could be an attempt to kidnap either, or both of them."

Cassidy Kane
aka Hazard
Cassidy's hands dug deep into his trench coat, head down as he'd walked out of the aisle, and was now headed towards the entrance of the backstage. Of course Carbon Dragon had to have been on patrol duty, and at the modulated voice of his suit of armor caused. Cassidy rose his head, allowing his glasses to drop off of his face. For a split second, Carbon could make out his blood-red eyes before his Hazard suit materialized itself over his neck and face, like lego pieces clicking together in unison. His trench coat tore at the wrists as large red claws protruded from them, and impatient, Cassidy ripped off the remaining clothes on his person, now standing with his armor fully retracted. He bent his neck side to side, loud pops of air cracking from them before he turned calmly into a fighting stance.

"Carbon Dragon. Friend, or foe. I haven't decided. But I'd like to let you know you're blocking off the path to what I've come a long way to acquire." Cassidy's voice was deep, and echoed unnaturally through his suit. "I'd like you to know that I've remotely began reducing the gravity in a number of civilian vehicles in the area. They'll float upwards in their cars as long as it takes my machinery to wear off in t minus 6 minutes. After which, they'll descend to their deaths." Not only would they die, but the multiple explosions from the vehicles ranging from sedan to trucks could have more effects too. His eyes stayed glued on Carbon Dragon, but behind the two in Carbon's range of vision, seven cars levitated with speed off of the ground, gaining altitude of almost 60 feet now. "As a former ally, I'll let you know there are thirteen more vehicles like that in this area. So choose now. Fight me, or save the people."

_gallifrog_ _gallifrog_ Birdsie Birdsie Thepotatogod Thepotatogod Kana.M. Kana.M. Eldarkon Eldarkon Space_Kaiser Space_Kaiser Epiphany Epiphany Shinrinyuko Shinrinyuko Damafaud Damafaud June Verles June Verles

S5EJVyP.png
Mercy

Silver's suggestion is a good one. Mercy reaches up to activate the earring that passes for a team comm. "I'm still on stage. I believe my husband and I can see to the Mayor and Mr. Vargas' protection. The rest of you, apprehend the man responsible."

The Goddess draws her sword but doesn't brandish it. Instead, she sweeps across the stage, checking each corner for more of those boxes that could glow blue and imobilize the people on stage. Assuming she doesn't find any, Mercy exchanges a look with Dr. Solstice, nods in the direction of their two charges and leaps off the stage, trusting he'll keep them safe. It's tempting to remain to guarantee their defense. But she's faced with ignoring actual citizens in danger in case of a hypothetical threat, and that's no choice at all.

Once more moving with inhuman speed, Mercy laps the gravity-affected area. And as she passes each box, her enchanted sword flicks out like a serpent's tongue, slashing through each device with inhuman strength.

Carbon Dragon_l.png

Carbon Dragon

Carbon was somewhat stunned to see that the person in question was Hazard. Ever since his arrival in New York, both he and Hazard were always feared in the NYC underworld. Both did the same thing but did different methods as Hazard preferred killing those he encountered whereas Carbon preferred to apprehend them. They had met previously before, during an incursion into an Acceturro held building. They tentatively worked together during that time until they were able to accomplish their goal. After that, he had never seen him again, asides from his symbol and occasional news reports on Hazard. Carbon had no time to think about the past; he had to act.

"There are multiple vehicles in the air; everyone who isn't on the device takes care of them." He said quickly, hoping his allies would make it fast enough. He then looked at Hazard and spoke towards him directly. "Then as a former ally, I'll let you know that whatever you're planning won't come to fruition." Carbon said, still in a readying stance. He was able to glean on what Hazard was like in battle. Unpredictable and ruthless. He would be a difficult opponent but remained confident.

Suddenly, Carbon closed the gap and shield bashed him right away. He then laid a strong jab into in abdomen of Hazard with his shield before readying himself for a potential counter-attack.

Interactions: Hazard ( fin fin )
On Comms: Everyone else

[NPCs]

Hundreds of civilians began to scream, dropping to the ground like flies and unable to get up. Some people - less lucky due to weight distribution - were stuck in place, the weight of their bodies pressing on their legs and slowly fracturing bone.

The buzzing voice of police lieutenant, Gregory Irvin, spoke over the radio, "I'll scramble my boys to find those cars he was talking about. We're leaving the heroing to you, over."

By the time his message was delivered, the sounds of police sirens had already blared everywhere in the area.

Meanwhile, the MRT truck's back doors opened up, as a team of six men in polished, black full-body armor stepped out, wearing tinted-black faceplates attached to their helmets and holding rifles. At their chests, there were badges of a shield topped with a wall's battlements and surrounded by a pair of wings, and they had armbands that read 'MRT.'

Rather than using a rifle, one of the six held an apparatus similar in appearance to a flamethrower but connected instead to a white tank on his back with small letters that read 'CONTAINMENT FOAM.'

They crossed the distance from the place they were parked - somewhat far from the stage or general public - and began to take aim in Hazard's direction.

Director Jepsen spoke over the comms, "I want the mayor and Vargas out of there; someone escort them out! The rest of you, I want that man alive and in cuffs in the detainment block. He probably won't hurt the civilians, but find a way to free them if reasonably feasible."

At her orders, the MRT squaddies replied in a chorus of agreements. They made a small formation and the man with the tank of containment foam knelt and fired a stream of white, gluey substance at Hazard - at an angle that avoided hitting Carbon Dragon.

Meanwhile, Mayor Weller and Mr. Vargas stepped back behind Dr. Solstice in response to Mercy's previous advisement. Vargas took out his phone and called someone in a panic, while Weller pressed two fingers to his ear - an earpiece? - and said something. He then lowered his hand and stared at the situation with an impatient scowl.

Chris Sanches-Martin

The effect of the sirens and Gregory's announcement on Chris was instantaneous. He responded to his superior with "gotcha boss, we'll do our heroing, incoming citizens down plaza"

What the Brigade saw next was him open a portal, bringing through four people in one slick movement. But these weren't normal people, the badges on their belt said that they were clearly cops, but the domino masks and weapons suggested that they were vigilantes. They paid the Brigade no attention, Parrabellum was their main focus.

A very brief discussion, what appeared to be a game of rock, paper, scissors and then Chris fell to the ground unconscious.

As he did so two figures rose out of his body- two Parabellums, identically dressed one slightly shorter than the other. They appeared to shimmer slightly, and had an almost see through quality.

With practiced ease the two Sanches siblings portalled away the body to somewhere safe. (also known as the apartment a few miles from the ceremony).

The vigilante-cops didn't blink at this, instead they started targeting the devices and herding the people out.

"Dibs cops!" Kit yelled before her brother could open his mouth. "you stay with the capes and tights." Chris groaned as his sister ran off towards the cop crowd.

Both siblings began opening portals, Chris transporting the people from inside the gravity ring to outside of it. He simply formed the portal and dropped it on the citizen, who would promptly reappear by one of the many ambulances. Kit began to portal out the citizens who were screaming like headless chickens. The citizens would find themselves almost a mile downtown. She was also moving around the police officers.

Their portal skills had improved immensely during their time with the Brigade, now both were able to portal up to four people at once, repeatedly, but still they had limits. Each portal was slowly draining their reserves of energy. Their astral forms were already showing signs of stress, thin hairline cracks permeating their bodies.

Eventually the siblings would give, but right now their priority was the citizens they had sworn to protect.

Birdsie Birdsie Thepotatogod Thepotatogod Kana.M. Kana.M. Eldarkon Eldarkon Space_Kaiser Space_Kaiser Epiphany Epiphany Shinrinyuko Shinrinyuko Damafaud Damafaud June Verles June Verles fin fin

1.jpg

Hazard
aka Cassidy Kane

interactions/mentions: Space_Kaiser Space_Kaiser Birdsie Birdsie _gallifrog_ _gallifrog_ Epiphany Epiphany
The eye sockets of Hazard's suit re-calibrated as he squinted his eyes, studying Carbon slowly. Hazard didn't have time to fight Carbon Dragon, and for once, was not looking forward to this fight. Carbon was someone he'd fought side by side in the past, and although the two had different morals and beliefs, Carbon was someone even Cassidy knew not to get on his bad side. All said, Hazard descended into his ready position, the blades on his arms gleaming in the sunlight. His focus was solely on Carbon, filtering the screaming and chaos from around him.

Carbon struck first, closing the space between the two with his shield stretched forwards. In instinct, Cassidy whipped his first foot forwards, making contact with the shield before pushing up the rest of his body in a back flip off of Carbon Dragon's shield. He landed on two feet behind Carbon, and it was then he caught sight of the MRT officers, containment foam, and the chaos around him. "Carbon, forgive me but I've other things to handle. If all goes smoothly, meet me at the top of the Empire State building. 12 AM." With that statement, Hazard leaped forward at Carbon, one hand on the shoulder of his ICS suit, the other grasping something from his own utility belt. A final gravity grenade, set on positive. With the momentum of rushing towards Carbon Dragon, Cassidy forced his feet into Carbon's back after placing the grenade on his back, pushing him into the MRT squaddies before releasing another smoke grenade of his own, and once again, disappearing through adept stealth. The Graviton grenade on Carbon's back would explode shortly after.

As for the gravity boxes, Mercy had the advantage of a magic-empowered sword, and sliced swiftly through the metal, releasing sparks and jolts of electricity. Unfortunately, the sudden burst of Graviton's equipment would only expel positive and negative gravitons around the area of the crowd, and stage. Some civilians floated by themselves, others pulled forcefully to the ground. Equipment and debris also followed this same rule around the compound, creating almost more of a frenzy as prior.

Chris was opening portals left, right and centre, trying to ignore the ever-increasing headache the exertion was bringing on. He was working as fast as he could, forming the portals around the screaming citizens and dropping them to the safe zone a mile away. His teeth were firmly gritted, small beads of sweat rolling down the body of his astral form. Even in this form, he could still feel twinges of the effect this would be having on the unconscious shell back at his apartment.

That was one of the disadvantages of his astral form, overexertion affected the physical body. He had access to more magic in the astral form, but like with everything in life, there was a cost. Judging by the drum like pounding in his head, he had maybe five minutes before he passed the critical point. He yelled at the rest of the Brigade over the comms.

"I can't keep this up much longer! Somebody help disable those boxes!" The cracks in his body were slowly spreading, the sheer power he was using was breaking his form apart.

Kit Sanches-Martin

After dispatching her brother to help with the so-called "cape and tights" groups Kit ran over towards the cops. Kit formed a shield wall around the area affected by the gravity devices. The last thing she needed was civilians accidentally entering the area and getting injured. The shield wall shimmered with a purplish haze.

All around her cops were channelling all the panicking civilians out. So far it appeared to be working, the chaos was slowly being subdued. She could see and feel the strain of effort in both her and her brother. Chris was faring the worst. She could see the cracks in his form and if the dull ache at the back of her head was anything to go by they were reaching a tipping point. Something had to be done. With her free hand created a ball of charged plasma."here goes nothing" She thought as threw the glowing ball at the gravity box nearest to her. The plasma adhered to it and began melting through whatever it could. Kit had no idea if it would work.

fin fin Birdsie Birdsie Thepotatogod Thepotatogod Kana.M. Kana.M. Eldarkon Eldarkon Space_Kaiser Space_Kaiser Epiphany Epiphany Shinrinyuko Shinrinyuko Damafaud Damafaud June Verles June Verles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back