• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom A Certain Magical Roleplay (Accepting) (No series knowledge needed)

Would you be interested in joining once this RP is up?

• I am familiar with either the anime or light novel and am interested.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am unfamiliar with the series and am interested.

• I am familiar with the series but am not completely convinced.

• I am unfamiliar with the series and am not convinced.

• I'm interested and would like to help with the process of making the RP.

• Total voters

cojemo

2000 IQ Killjoy Detective

Welcome! We are looking for more members! People unfamiliar with the series, don't be afraid!

This is based off of the To aru series of light novels, though it is most likely popular by the anime adaptation of the same name. None of the characters from the show or novels will be present, so I will create a completely original cast with the only things being re-used the setting and certain elements integrated into it. For those who are interested in this idea but aren't familiar with the franchise, don't fret! I have done a ton of information gathering and research regarding the universe in hopes of making things easy and accessible for new comers. Things are now ready to go, so if you're interested just click the link and get to joining!

https://www.rpnation.com/threads/a-certain-magical-roleplay-accepting.78406/

General World Overview

Academy City. Located west of Tokyo, this technologically advanced super city is known as being the most advanced place to live in the world, being 30 years ahead the rest of the world science wise. Machines and inventions once thought impossible are constantly created through sheer discovery and hard science. One of its greatest inventions, The Tree Diagram, is the most powerful super computer on the planet. It is located on a satellite orbiting space and contributes to the research and calculations done on the ground. It has such raw computation power that it can correctly predict the weather of the globe for one month by observing the movement of particles in the atmosphere. Such feats are what puts Academy city above every other country on the planet in terms of discovery and invention.

snapshot20100328202441.jpg

Such technology is only the tip of the iceberg for this city. Having a population estimated to be 2.3 million, as the name suggests, over 80% of this consists of students attending the many high end learning institutes scattered about. However, the thing that easily sets these schools apart from others is the presence of the power curriculum program. Through its immense research and studies, Academy city discovered the existence of AIM fields, thin fields of energy that emanate from select people and allow them to distort reality based on quantum physics, giving them supernatural abilities. Ability users are commonly referred to as espers, with the strength of the abilities being ranked on a scale, with 1 being barely able to control your power to 5 being able to fully master your own personal reality. The power curriculum program is designed to separate a student from reality and into their own personal reality where they can unlock the potential to use these abilities. These powers can range from pyrokinesis to teleportation with variations and strengths being vast. However, 60% of the population are classified as level 0's and thus unable to use any powers at all. Select schools offer programs to help train students gifted with these powers, and the higher ranked espers get special treatment and allowed into more prestigious academies.

Railgun-5.jpg

However, even with such discoveries and advancements there are still things that science cannot explain. Magic very much exists, most magicians stemming from some religious group. From holy artifacts, summoning, rituals, and saints, magic can distort the laws of reality in ways that science just cannot achieve. Many magicians hold a grudge against the advancements of science in Academy City, with plots to remove the city from existence constantly popping up. Unlike espers who gain their powers through their own personal reality and will, magicians follow what is called 'Idol Theory'. This states that magic must come from another source, such as religion, myth, fairy tales, or something else that already exists. Also unlike espers, however, is that magicians can use multiple forms of magic and not be limited to just one, though they have less freedom with the magic being used. Besides those who wield the power very few people know of the existence of magic, with a select dozen inside the city with this knowledge.

to-aru-majutsu-no-index-03-large-08.jpg

Many magicians have held a grudge against Academy city for numerous years. Both sides have been preparing for an inevitable war, with preparations within the city being made by those who know more than all of its inhabitants combined. Neither side has made their intentions known to the public, and each side has the firepower to create global chaos if provoked.

In Academy City, a festival is held with various competitions, concession stands, and activities available for it's inhabitants. The celebration is for the continual advancements in science the city has made since its creation. However, outside the city a murder has occurred in a newly formed and still unnamed church made for various forms of religion, integrating Christianity, Hinduism, and many more into its structure. Along with the murder, one of the churches members take off with one of its holy artifacts. His destination: Academy City. These events lead to a collision of both science and magic, forcing both sides to work together to prevent global annihilation, secrets being uncovered along the way that were better left buried...

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering the amount of effort and planning you have poured into this exceeds the quantity of most of the front page of recruitment, I am highly interested for this game even if I only have an ounce or so of Toaru knowledge.

I'm interested but I've never heard of the anime is that ok?

I'm updated with the To Aru series (though not as much since I'm only at New Testament:5 in le Light Novels but will read again since Mental Out Arc is out!)

Regardless, without the need to say the above comment. I want to join!

@The Servant that's great to hear, the more support for the inevitable RP the better.

@Arrietta Good to hear you know a lot about the series, probably more than I do! I personally haven't read the light novels, but have done a lot of reading up on the events that take place on the wiki. I've been meaning to start with them but just haven't gotten around to it. If I ever post something that is incosistent with the world that I just haven't read about, feel free to correct me!

Also, for those who haven't seen the anime or read the light novels, since it may take a while for me to set this up you could always do so in the meantime. There is Railgun and Index on the anime front, and both of them have two seasons. I think they would do a good job explaining the world and setting if you have the time. Index does a good job exploring the magic side while Railgun explores the science side more.

Are you still looking for people to join? , if so id be interested in being a part of this.

@EclipseRising There is still a lot of time till I'm ready, so yeah I'm still looking.

Actually, this is a good time to mention that I'm not necessarily taking the first people to reserve a spot. I've been in a lot of roleplays that were great but went downhill because of a few people, so I will be taking the first few that I believe can post constant quality posts and no one liners when I'm ready. I'll still reserve until you post your character sheet, but if I believe it isn't up to par the spot is free game. For my idea so far I think I'll want four people for the magic side and four for the science side, though numbers could easily change due to more or less interest.

I'd totally be down with this. I've been meaning to check this series out anyway! So I'll try and get around to it and have most of it finished by the time you get this thing going.

hmm, while very interesting, it seems theres quite abit of people here... i'm up for it if a spots available.

@Orikanyo Though it's not open yet, there are still spots open. My selection of people is going to be based purely on if I think you can post at a certain standard, so even if you're late to apply when I set this up you could still be accepted over the first person to apply.

@cojemo Ah, clever, well in anycase I can meet any specifications your require, as long as they aren't obscene in stature. I'd like to think I've become good at rping over these last 7 or so years. Also, i applaud your choice of avatar.

An update for those who were or are interested:

I have a plot and direction generally planned out as well as characters created for the story. I've also done research for those who aren't familiar with the source material and have everything I think will be needed so no one is left confused. Also, I've updated the General Overview on the first page with some more details about magic and the general starting point of the RP. Things are going much faster than I expected, so If everything keeps going at this pace I should have it up and ready sometime this week, two weeks at the most. Again, I appreciate the amount of interest everyone has shown, and if you want any questions answered or want to join and haven't said so already, just ask right here. The RP thread is up, though all it has at the moment is on the first page. Here is a link just because.

https://www.rpnation.com/threads/a-certain-magical-roleplay-under-construction.78406/

Things are a go!

I have everything set up that I think I need and will be accepting character sheets! I admit that making a magic character will probably require more thought and effort, though I encourage variety and for you to try your best anyways! Make sure to read up on everything, and get to making your character! If you're unsure of how to make your character, just ask or wait till I have one of mine up. Remember, if you need clearing up on something in the overview or just in general, Pm me with your question.

@The Servant

@Arrietta

@Dreamlight

@SomeGuy

@Archer

@Silent Howling

Maybe we should make a new recruitment thread? This one is pretty buried right now and a brand, shiny new one could lure in all the wee lovelies nicely :P

Yeah, seems like a good idea, but I don't think that's exactly allowed since this one exists. It would be seen as unnecessary and spam. I could just update the front page with details from the Overview and clean things up a bit to attempt to draw more people in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back