• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Young Justice: Legacy OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
I fucking LOVE Arne Arne as the straight shooting Emerald Warden being forced to put up with these miscreants. Like. 100% the person who should be in charge of the team. 100% something Trip will not acknowledge as true.

Ashton’s definitely not perfect but still, probably, better than the rest of the gang if you compare him to Trip and Rip. What a lovely, sassy pair.

Rip really isn't that bad. Look at the sequence of events and virtually all he did was use a cheesy pick-up line. Follow that and you have Trip coming in like a dick, Ada threatening to shock everyone, Rip basically fuck off, and then Trip and Josh go at it. Rip didn't even get any form of like... aggressive until this last post.

Like, at the rate they're going, neither Emerald Warden or Trip aren't gonna be in charge of a damn thing.

Way too much testosterone between them.

That's one interpretation of the series of events, sure. Not 100% I'm on board with it. Riptide strikes me as a fairly insecure guy who is obsessed with the idea of alphas and betas. Whereas most people aren't even really considering what is "alpha."

I like our "team" so far because just about everyone has some sort of major social issue and we've managed to unearth them fairly quickly.

I can see where the alpha/beta thing comes into play, but that's not directly what irritates Rip. If you look at the series of events, it's been two things:

-- A display or boast of their abilities
-- The back and forth bravado

Rip isn't insecure as much as he has this distaste for the misuse of abilities. For instance (and this is in the IC), he didn't care that Ashton 'sped' over there, but Ada needlessly flaunting her shocking capabilities and Trip basically bragging about the view from space from the inside of a bubble are what initially pissed him off. The reason is that attitude reminds him considerably of the Atlantean Guards whom he has a great distaste for. It's basically association.

The back and forth bravado is one of those things where he only really dislikes it because he already disliked them. You know, some people will hate you for breathing, and that's about where Rip is at, primarily with Trip.

Oh interesting. Well that's good to know, once Trip figures that out he'll be a real shithead with it.

Trip has a real issue with creepy dudes, based a lot on shit that he and people he was close to dealt with living outside on the streets, so seeing someone meet a new female superhero with a joke about potentially having sex without actually talking to her or finding out anything about her puts Riptide in a very specific category for Trip.

...that was a pick-up line. They're kind'a a social convention and their effectiveness/creepiness is entirely dependent on delivery and acceptance.

Like, I could see your point if Karma reacted incredibly poorly to it or if Rip pursued it, but we don't even know her response. What if like, she was into it?

Like, not speaking for anyone, but theoretically, what if she was totally into it and didn't find it creepy at all? That means Trip just legit went full dickhead on Rip for nothing.

Nah, that's an old-timey way of looking at pick-up lines. The basic assumption that you can just make jokes about having sex with people, especially with general male to female power dynamics, is out-dated, and the idea that you need someone to react poorly assumes that people don't get uncomfortable and still stay silent about it.

Basically any guy who just goes straight into a "Lets bang" joke is gonna rub Trip the wrong way.

It's also funny that you're saying Trip went "Full dickhead" when ultimately all he did was parrot the pickup line that Rip had used. For all Rip knows, Trip meant it in earnest and was actually flirting.

Nah, that's an old-timey way of looking at pick-up lines. The basic assumption that you can just make jokes about having sex with people, especially with general male to female power dynamics, is out-dated, and the idea that you need someone to react poorly assumes that people don't get uncomfortable and still stay silent about it.

Real talk, this is completely subjective. I know factually that it can still work. But aside from anecdotal evidence, two factors I would definitely keep in mind is that traditionalists do exist and that some people are really against the power dynamic as it stands. So... I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that isn't universally true. As for the discomfort, again, subjective. I'll stay away from anecdotes, but this entirely depends on the environment and individual. I know factually right now that across the United States, Human Resources departments are looking at new models of system abuse because the long-believed sentiment that a victim wouldn't want to speak out is, by percent, untrue, but there also exists a far larger percent of false claims and merited support resulting in a lot of law suits, especially with states moving to the Right to Work model.

Anyway, back to the main point, Trip can perceive it however he wants, but assuming Rip doesn't want to brutally murder him later, I'm pretty sure Rip is just gonna call him a Star Sapphire SJW for the remainder of the RP.

Oh sure, pickup lines definitely still "work," but what are we defining as "working," you know? Sure traditionalists still exist, but if they're going to forward behavior that seems toxic or disrespectful or generally shitty, they're gonna catch shit for it.

The entire subsection of "false claims" is a non-issue.

If Riptide thinks "SJW" is an insult, or that coming after Trip's masculinity by associating him with a traditionally female lantern corps, he's A: exactly the person Trip read him as, and B: Very incorrect as to the fragility of Trip's masculinity.

but if they're going to forward behavior that seems toxic or disrespectful or generally shitty, they're gonna catch shit for it.

This is where you actually have to consider what that means. A pick-up line serves only two fuctions--three if you count them being a joke. The first is as an icebreaker, the second is as an indicator of romantic or other intent. A pick-up line by function does not have to be toxic or disrespectful. For it to constitute toxic behavior, it would have to cause some type of harm. What if the person, regardless of gender, is totally in for it? No harm comes, it's completely consensual. As for respect, this again is an individual thing, and not all pick-up lines are inherently disrespectful. Even the one Rip used wasn't obscene. Lastly, as for them being shitty, the entire pretense of a pick-up line is it to be really good or really bad. The only "bad" pick up line is a mediocre one.

They're a social convention that have lasted this long and still into this day... for a reason. As with anything, they can be misused.

I mean, that last part is also fine, too. You have two opposing sides of the fence there. But, it'll come down to this a) doesn't care b) didn't assume the fragility. As of now, Rip just finds every single microfiber of Trip's identity to be purely annoying, and he's probably going to question why he would even be allowed to be a Green Lantern.

I'd agree that they don't have to be, but making it explicitly the sort of non-clever "we could go have sex" tends to fall on the toxic end of the spectrum.

Regardless, I think our characters are gonna hate each other real good and I'm pretty excited to see where it goes.

OK OK, getting a little heated here- Rip's pickup line was pretty innocent, and Karma didn't quite respond (WORKING ON IT NOW). From there, characters were responding as they would. I do like the sort of conflict that characters have going, but I'd prefer for it not to end up OOC.

I'm all for great conversations on Social Justice and what constitutes Toxic Masculinity, but here's not really the place.

I realize my earlier comment might have been unclear- I am really interested to see conflict amongst our characters, however it arises- it'll be really interesting to see how we make them slowly grow into a team from there. I didn't mean to directly label any character as good or bad, and I realize it's a personal quirk of mine to resort to extreme hyperbole. I'm excited to see how things develop from here, but I do think every character is personally justified in their actions.

Oh I didn't think we were getting heated either. It seems like we baseline disagree on a couple of things, but I think we were just sorta discussing them. If i came across as heated then I apologize!

Also I sorta assume all of our characters will bright spots along with their various toxic behaviors

I leave for a day and come back to this? I don’t get paid enough.

I don’t get paid at all. I’m also not extremely in charge.

I do this on my own free will.

I also need to work on my own post considering I’ve posted once and Trip and Rip have posted quite a few times.

Oh Trip is gonna respond to kindness with kindness. He's super reactive when he thinks someone is being offensive or inappropriate, but his baseline wants to be friendly with people, even if that's terrifying for him.

Nah, not so much Hisoka. He's got his personality based in a couple of characters though. I'll let y'all figure them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back