Other Write with a damn pen & paper.

Simon_Hawk

Ranger
Does anyone actually sit down with pen and paper to write these days? Have the almighty computer and wordprocessing programs completely crushed any need for the almighty pen? Would any of you even be brave enough to slow down and calm yourself enough to write a few paragraphs the old fashioned way? These things I must know so please help a guy out, thanks!

I haven't written much of anything lately but I have all sorts of journals of past written stuff and some, when I was writing actively, where I have world building concepts or short character stories. I remember before reliable internet access I would write my replies down then just type them up when I went to the library. The ole pen in paper is always a sure thing.

I haven't written much of anything lately but I have all sorts of journals of past written stuff and some, when I was writing actively, where I have world building concepts or short character stories. I remember before reliable internet access I would write my replies down then just type them up when I went to the library. The ole pen in paper is always a sure thing.
I love that story thanks for sharing! Even without reliable internet you managed to continue writing and creating stories. Now I feel like trying to do some outlines and brainstormimg in my notebook. It seems like you really connect with your mind differently when you use a pen and paper.

I hope so, otherwise these countless pages of a paper written on with colorful pens are a bit moot, aren't they... O_O
That makes me think of a role-play thread where the players write their replies by hand and take a picture of the writing to post in the thread. I think that could be a cool artistic way to do something different with roleplay, almost similar to using bbc code.

I love that story thanks for sharing! Even without reliable internet you managed to continue writing and creating stories. Now I feel like trying to do some outlines and brainstormimg in my notebook. It seems like you really connect with your mind differently when you use a pen and paper.
This topic is very nostalgic :) I might break out my journals to take a read.

This topic is very nostalgic :) I might break out my journals to take a read.
That's another awesome thing to be able to do (not that you couldn't with saved files) but there's definitely something cool about looking back on old sketchbooks or notepads like yours.

That's cool! Do you notice a difference in creating something that way versus going straight to a computer?

Yeah. My drafts help me solidify my ideas, and when I sit down to type it all up, descriptions come easily. Sometimes, I end up expanding the story or post with much more detail than I initially planned for.

I hate the way my writing looks so I don't do it often (and I tend to get horrendous hand cramps lol) but if I'm out and about I'll often write short snippets about various characters on whatever paper is lying around. A dedicated notebook to carry around might be a better idea. I do have a nice leather journal at home that would be fun to use! This is a great reminder to do that, so thank you <3

Simon_Hawk Simon_Hawk you are too kind but as I was reading it lol lol I almost gagged. That was from my earlier days of writing for guy characters lol it is nice to have something to look back on though.

I hate the way my writing looks so I don't do it often (and I tend to get horrendous hand cramps lol) but if I'm out and about I'll often write short snippets about various characters on whatever paper is lying around. A dedicated notebook to carry around might be a better idea. I do have a nice leather journal at home that would be fun to use! This is a great reminder to do that, so thank you <3
I hear you, I'm actually extremely heavy handed and it hurts my fingers after a page or two lolol. Good luck if you use that journal!

Simon_Hawk Simon_Hawk you are too kind but as I was reading it lol lol I almost gagged. That was from my earlier days of writing for guy characters lol it is nice to have something to look back on though.
If I was making a movie and needed a mystical document I would PAY you to write it on parchment! Cringe aside, it's good to go back and see how much we've improved I think.

ashwynne ashwynne reminded of journals in particular when she mentioned having a leather one. I love the journals they sell at Barnes and Noble, those vintage looking ones or something LOTR-ish. I need to get one.

If I was making a movie and needed a mystical document I would PAY you to write it on parchment! Cringe aside, it's good to go back and see how much we've improved I think.
tenor.gif

I actually love writing out drafts of scenes in my story through pen and paper when it is available, though I admit I find the computer helpful as it helps me look for the right words that I want since I think a specific word can make or break a scene, haha.

Occasionally, but I try to avoid it since my writing is messy.

I actually love writing out drafts of scenes in my story through pen and paper when it is available, though I admit I find the computer helpful as it helps me look for the right words that I want since I think a specific word can make or break a scene, haha.
I also find that I type way faster and can get ideas down quickly, but sometimes it's so distracting if you don't turn off grammar and spelling suggestions, sometime I lose ideas because of those features. Love the pc for editing tho that's for sure XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back