Character Theory Who Inspired Your Character(s)?

ObliviousMelon

need me some gatorade weak (for poets)
Howdy! I worry this thread already exists, but I still thought I'd post it. So, to put it simply, it's a fact (at least in my experience) that it is impossible to come up with a total unique character. There's such a wide variety of already existing fiction and tropes and archetypes that everything has been done before. Mostly. Probably. And when we make a character, I find it hard to not to take elements of my own favorite characters, or at least the most interesting ones, and put it into them. Do you relate to this? Share the character(s) that inspired your own creations! What elements inspired you, and what parts did you intentionally keep out?

These days I tend to focus on the personality and mannerisms of my character first. What kind of person do I want to play? What kind of personalities would I find interesting to use in my writing? It usually just comes from things that I've seen in real life, whether it's from myself, or other people.

So, I'll do a bit of a split on this:

My Villains are usually inspired by: Tywin Lannister (Game of Thrones), O'Brien (1984), The Walkin' Dude/Randall Flagg (Stephen King Lore), Vayne Solidor (FFXII), Wilhuff Tarkin (Star Wars), Griffith (Berserk), Mark Antony (Roman History).

My Heroes are usually inspired by: Aang (AtLA), Ezran (Dragon Prince), Finn (Star Wars), Guts (Berserk), Julius Caesar (Roman History), Brutus (Roman History), Aerith Gainsborough (FFVII -- Original).

My Actual Protagonists (aka characters I intend to main): Azula (Ha -- I know -- Avatar the last Airbender), Wilhuff Tarkin (SW), Margaery Tyrell (Game of Thrones), Jaskier (Netflix Witcher), Serpico (Berserk), Octavius (Augustus/Roman History).

One character of late is in a Star Wars RP that's off-site, and before I ever watched AtLA, was already the sort of spoiled heir sort with some serious issues relating to her sanity due to her legacy and expectations put upon her. Most of the inspiration came from ideas of Gaius Octavius/Augustus, and it went from there. After watching AtLA, I was able to take some of that from Azula into her -- along with some droppings of political saavy from my GoT favorites, and some touches of savagery from others.

There's probably a LOT of others I draw inspiration from, but this is a quick list, lol.

I feel like, more often than not, the characters I write end up being influenced by whatever book/game/show I may be into at the time, even if it's not something I do consciously. For instance, if I get attached to a very sarcastic, gruff side character in a video game, I tend to find myself wanting to write a character who's sarcastic and gruff. Not a total carbon copy, of course, but a character with the same basic traits or vibe! Sometimes I'll directly pull a characteristic or two, but most of the time I don't realize who's influenced my character until after I'm done fleshing them out.

Also, I like to alternate between writing "thinkers" and "feelers," so to speak. After I've written a character who's more in touch with their emotional side, I always want to switch over to writing one who's more logically-motivated, and vice versa. In those cases, where I'm looking to fill a role vs. feeling inspired on the spot, I like looking back through old favorite characters and seeing if anyone gives me a spark.

In general my characters aren't usually inspired by "who" but by "what". If it's a fandom, sometimes it can be as simple as "they haven't explored x in canon, so I'll make a character based around x" or "How would a character who believes y fit into this society?" Sometimes it's historical events (like French Revolution), sometimes concepts (like creepy dolls), sometimes I just think of a cool name and want to make a character based on it. Sometimes a book will inspire a character, but based on the setting or atmosphere rather than a particular character in that book. Sometimes it's a situation (like political hostages).

Usually my characters take on influence from other people/characters after they have been conceptualised. An alchemist character had a big Niles Crane (Frasier) vibe, a samurai character took on aspects of Okita Soji from Kaze Hikaru. Often this happens subconsciously, or they just happen to fall into a trope.

Anastasia Maria Grace (Final Fantasy Tribute) is heavily inspired by Aerith Gainsborough from FF7 and Joan of Arc. She's a mere twenty-three-year-old student from a desert metropolis that plays host to a tyrannical empire that uses its vastly advanced technology and military might to expand its borders across the world. Ana becomes the symbol of a shared plight reaching across the planet. She ends up becoming the figurehead of the largest rebel movement in history and its fueled by the beliefs she spreads in her travels, running from the long arm of Zenobia.

Samuel Blithe (A Legacy Written In Blood) is based on both Jack Shephard and John Locke from Lost. Sam is a sweet man with a heart of gold who is corrupted by his circumstance. He makes a lot of mistakes either by being manipulated or just trying to do what he thinks is right. He's a man haunted by war, heart break and the curse of immortality. He embraces vampirism with a warm smile as it makes his stomach sick and cold. In the end he sacrifices himself to atone for the sins he committed, and to ensure the safety of those he considers family, despite their hatred of him. Sam is my personal favorite by far.

I could go on but the hour draws late and I'm tired of typing.

Last edited:
Tin-Tin, my Carmina, was based off of a multitude of other machine races as well as studies on real bio-mechanical parts. Yall ever seen brain cells grown on a conduit to be plugged into a computer? Its on its way! Some races like the Vex(destiny 2), Geth(Mass Effect), and Vader-Sans Synths. The design was kinda just me futzing around and drew diamonds over three circles. First iterations were also random doodles, big hands and weird legs. However, they all had a circular face with three eyes.

They are kinda the "logical but compassionate" type, not jumping to conclusions unless all data and perspective are processed. They kinda gossip as a form of intimacy on life they study.

Tin-Tin is the eclectic type who values all life equally. Not known to anger but is rather shy.

My Altra are kinda like the liquid terminator, except more spiritual and doesn't conceive the hatred of physical appearance. This reflects my belief that we are all made of meat and bone. What we look like should not account for judgement. Nana is sorta the kind hearted rebel. She can be harsh but means well.
My characters often reflect some part of me. Its relatable, and i quite like how my brain imagined them.

Black Tempest.jpg
Black Tempest (Mythic Universe) is heavily inspired by Slade Wilson, otherwise known as Deathstroke. The perfect killing machine. The physical embodiment of willpower and conviction. A modern day spartan warrior. Not much in the personality department present day, but when you need a good chaotic neutral villain to shake - or blow - things up, Black Tempest is ready for the job.

Alison Watson (A Legacy Written In Blood) is loosely based on Alice from Alice In Wonderland. The actual main protagonist of the stories, Alison's journey takes her from being a lead male's girlfriend, to literal heights of ascension. She begins the story as a hungry journalist and the girlfriend of Deputy Sheriff Owen Reznik. When Samuel Blithe is forced to turn Owen in order to spare him from the wrath of the Fletcher Covenant, Alison stops at nothing to find him. She finds Sam instead and Sam turns her too. As her journey into the rabbit hole progresses, we leave Owen behind, and by the time the stories are finished (hers, at least) she holds all the keys, and all the power.

A few of my characters are directly inspired by real people.

Vlad Dracul (A Legacy Written In Blood) is based on Vlad III Dracul. This is my own fictionalized version of him but I have tried to keep as much of his history and influences intact. It might surprise or disappoint you to learn that my Vlad isn't seen much in the stories themselves. There is an arch where his purpose in the story is fulfilled, but I've structured it to not only make his existence/appearances extremely epic, but make his character interesting. It's supposed to be a big deal, not a character you see, hear, and interact with constantly. My Vlad is a broken man. Reclusive, morbid, senile. He is burdened by a mixed bag of trauma and drama from his past, both historical and fictional. I wanted to make him interesting and tragic; to give people something they wouldn't expect and still have his contribution to the stories the best it can be.

Lucavi - Terry O'Quinn.jpg
Lucavi Blackheart (A Legacy Written In Blood) is inspired by Terry O'Quinn's portrayal of The Man in Black from Lost. A master of words and manipulation, Lucavi is a man who can convey the wrath the devil with just one glance, or command the authority of god with just one word. He is the Order's Covenant liaison and a veritable boogeyman of vampires the world over.

Last edited:
I like old genre media, so that impacts a lot of my character choices. I'd like to think it sets them apart from the hyper-modern focus, though your mileage may vary. It probably stems from this need to parrot what the writers I look up to do, especially when they use stand-ins for other peoples' characters. I'm not nearly as clever.
I admit I probably don't put as much depth into OCs on the site as I do characters that I want to get published somewhere, and I've been out of the game for a bit in terms of actually making notable ones. I've been spinning my wheels and doing the 'tribute act' thing.

I've stumbled into doing this 'Errol Flynn-as-Polish-Nobleman-as-Marco-Polo-as-fantasy-character' thing for an upcoming campaign, so I hope that works out.
I might do the list thing after I get some more solid OCs under my belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back