• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy When the world changes...

Idea

The Pun Tyrant
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Setting:

2095. The entire Earth sees as a huge light fills the sky. For a moment, everyone feels like they turned blind. As the light begins to fade, world-wide cataclysmic events begin to follow. Entire cities are razed. Continents change shape. But that`s not all...

The world seems to have awakened. Forests spread in days like they would in a thousand years. Strange beings begin to appear here and there, and creatures known only from fables suddenly fill the world. Even the dead start to rise from their graves at night. Before they know it, all surviving cities have walled in, isolated. Humanity is on the brick of doom.

An unexpected hope arises when a man with pointy years, claiming to be what humans would call an "elven ambassador" arrives at one of the cities that survived. They claim they are unaware of what happened too, but are willing to teach humanity on how to survive these harsh times.

Though costly in time and human resources, society finally re-shapes. Humans live on a hierarchy. The government is on top, followed by the merchants, the ones that deal with the trading with the elves to get sustainance and the knights, humans trained to fight off the threats against the isolated cities.

The world seems to have fallen back it`s own diverse routine, but it has changed forever and in the brick of an eye.

Plot:

The world has not yet stopped changing. The pace has slowed, but some notice it. Food and meat changes color. Gravity is slightly weaker.

And even without this, most know the elve`s help will not suffice forever. Even in dire circumstances, humans keep on multiplying, which threatens the cities, now in ruins. Yet, no explorer has gone very far beyond the city and lived. Even elven territory is relatively close.

In the city now known as Cokeyard, plans are being arranged to gather people to leave on an expediction. The purpose? Go as far as they can, learn as much as possible, and share that with humanity.

Something must be done. Everyone needs it. Nobody wants to.

Races:

Human- While lacking in most physical atributes, when compared to other species, humans are surprisingly resilient and resourceful. Elves were also quick to pick up the reason why many monsters had human bases: Human are extremely easy to mix with other species. This allowed the conceiving of the "Third Arm". This is usually a weapon or piece of armor where a sphere containing the condensed power of a monster can be attached. This grants the users some of the monster`s magic. Seeing how humans can use up to two "third arm"s at once, humans have become very versatile in terms of combat. They are also the only race that ever needed to develop advanced technology, though most of it is useless in the changed world. Nevertheless, the functioning products help humanity have a good trade for the elve`s resources. Healing humans is limited to non-magical means.

Elf- Physically, elves surpass humans in every way. However, this difference, although significant is often overestimated. Elves also have a culture that makes them naturally more patient, yet less likely to take action. Technologically, they are stuck in the medieval ages, as the globalization of humanity cut them of most resources. Elves have a natural talent for conscious magic. They are nearly as flexible as humans, except their bodies reject the monster`s power in them, rendering "third arm"s useless to them. Nevetheless, an elf can learn a lot of spells. However, complex spells are no longer allowed since the world`s change. It`s attempted uses resulted in less than pleasant results, sometimes the destruction of entire settlements. Elves are sharing their resources with humans at the moment in order to estabilish an alliance with them, while striving to expand their territory to uncover the truth of the world`s change. Elven healing is very effective, although it can take time and if the target is any other than the caster, he musn`t be fully conscious. Elven healing cannot heal major wounds in the middle of a fight and can never replace body parts.

Half-elf- Innevitable as their existence was, half-elfs are still outcasted from elven society, in spite of such being forbidden by their law. Half-elfs tend to move into human cities, which only increases the load on them. Half-elves tend to either be slightly stronger than an average human or slightly more agile, never both. The combination of elven magic with human mixing allows half-elves to wield a single “third arm”, but enchance it`s properties. They also are most adept at knowing the unexplored wilds, due to their errands, which makes them additionally experienced in dealing with monsters. They can heal minor wounds, but nothing beyond that.

Karatani- A previously unknown species, the Karatani reside in the depths of the wilds, divided in tribes. Their shapes vary from individual to individual, but they all share some characteristics: Eight eyes, claws, wings, and tails. As one ages, the number of tails and wings increases. Their length, though, usually fixates early, although they can be huge. The size of the tails and wings is what divides the hierarchy within the tribes. The wing shape divides the subspecies of Katani and their tails divide the various tribes. However, the rest of the body is unique to each individual. This is because Karatani can naturally absorb magic during ingestion and digestion, which makes their body attain properties from what was consumed. Although they are an intelligent, sentient species, Karatani do not use technology . The shape of their hands, in fact, almost prevents them from holding things (usually). Karatani are capable of naturally healing minor wounds and can exert a form of tentacles that cover lost body parts or major wounds and can heal them by forming a cacoon around them and transferring what is necessary from the rest of the body. However, this method of regeneration has severe disadvantages since the Karatani will be inflicted minor wounds upon itself and the process can be exhausting. Also, although the tentacles are resistant, should anything manage to break into the cacoon, not only will it stop the regeneration, it will also cause severe injuries on the Karatani, often killing them.

Monster- From goblins to fairies, to zombies to dragons. You name it (a list will be compiled upon given suggestions. [note: suggestions can and likely will be altered to better fit the thread]). Although most can hardly be called sentient, if at all, monsters can still be a though fight. Their natural magic makes them able to use magic without even realizing it. It also makes them excellent magic vessels, being the materials for both the “third arms” and the Karatani.

Magic:

Magic is a flowing thing in the changed world. It`s rules aren´t perfectly clear, but it seems to be transferable, through various means.

Conscious- This type of magic exists through a combination of speech, will and knowledge. Sometimes, more elaborate spells will require objects, shapes or actions to work, but those are rare. Conscious magic is characterized by the need of their caster to willingly cast the spell, usually taking a nice chunk of their focus. Their users, elves, half-elves with a “third arm” and humans with at least one “third arm”, will usually have to stop and will have their senses almost neutralized when they cast a spell. Fortunately, the simple spells that are now in use can take a few seconds to say at the most. Nevertheless, a user of conscious magic is limited by it`s reserves of magic and energy. Conscious magic is learned by studying it and practicing.

Semi-Conscious- This type of magic exists through sheer will and thought. Nothing needs to be said and the caster simply needs to think it and be capable of it to have it happen. Unlike conscious magic, which fails upon the breaking of the user`s focus, semi-conscious magic will often be used through emotion and instinct. Karati are adept at this kind of magic. This also means Semi-conscious magic is the one most likely to go wrong, since it has no regulation mechanism other than the caster`s magical reserves. Semi-conscious magic is learned through experience, training and feeding.

Natural- This type of magic exist through the properties of the body and is completely and utterly instinctive. Unlike other types of magic, natural magic works on it`s on, without it`s hosts even knowing. It`s what animates zombies and what allows elementals to hold their bodies. Even if it`s at any point something that can be turned on and off, it is entirely instinctive, completely aside from the user`s will and emotions.

What the rp will be like:

I am looking for a group of five roleplayers. The rp will be a fantasy/adventure with a mixed futuristic setting and (I`m hoping) lot`s of fight scenes. I will be the GM and will rp a character myself. If I see or hear about anything I don`t think it`s appropriate for the thread, I will discuss it with you. Still, remember my word is final, unless contested by one of RPN`s staff members. Should a player be kicked out of the thread, I will take control of that player`s character and find a way to put it out of the way, then search fr a new volunteer.Further details will be discussed later on.

Any questions?

Edit: I`m adding a character sheet so people can start thinking of their characters. I will be opening the thread too.

Name-

Age-

Race-

Gender-

Physical appearance- (the more detail the better)

Personality- (Please try to think of something smart. I don`t question anyone`s capability of doing so, but I see a ton of laziness here)

History-(Explain motivation, life-driving events, power creations, essentially, anything that affects the present or might)

Powers- (Yes, ALL of them. Well explained)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very interested and I am keen on playing as a Karatani. I have two questions. How old can Karatani's get? And do they lose a certain power after a set amount of time, or do they keep it and add it to a growing pile of powers?

CrimsonEclipse said:
I am very interested and I am keen on playing as a Karatani. I have two questions. How old can Karatani's get? And do they lose a certain power after a set amount of time, or do they keep it and add it to a growing pile of powers?
Welcome! I hope we can make this amazing together.

Now, for your questions. Karatani have an average life span of 700 years, the eldest Karatani having achieved 1500 years, although most don`t die of natural causes, living only until they are about 300/400.

Karatani absorb magic as we absorb nutrients. A major portion of it will simply be used to assure the Karatani can sustain their magic reserves. However, a small portion will be incorporated and will temporarily change the Karatani. Even this will be lost, however, a Karatani that hunts and feed frequently enough can accumulate a lot of power before reaching his own limits.

Did this clarify it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back