Other What's your religion?

I apologize if it was offensive.

Not to me, but likely towards the Wiccan person. It's good you apologized though, just in case the Wiccan got offended.

7eb58c092c7a936f846bc4afcac4b5ef.jpg

I have no religion. Not because I don't believe in some form of higher power, or that I have no strict and structured moral code that I live by, I just can't get behind any of them. They are a human construct, factually speaking. I believe in something, and it has influenced many different cultures. That much I can say for sure as a man of history and science.

But as for the labels and classifications, I have none.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll give my reasoning for being agnostic, and purely nothing but that.

As nice as it is to believe that there is another force watching over us and guiding our lives, I'm afraid that there has been enough to make me believe otherwise, although I do believe in the possibility of there being some upper force out there. Until the day that I have CONCRETE evidence, however, I will not accept that such a thing exists. If there is solid proof hen fair enough.

For one, I don't like the argument of "God has intended for your life to be this way" - I don't like the idea that I don't have control of my life. I don't like the idea that there's the possibility of 'someone' lifting a finger, and suddenly that's my life over, or on its way to being over. If there is a God who loves and protects us all, then many of us would not have experienced the pain which we have, and lost the ones we loved so dearly.

That's my main problem. How can a God claim to be almighty when they allow such pain and suffering that is far beyond our control? Crippling diseases, bone cancer in children, plus the evil that has always, and still does, plague the world in the form of people. If God influences us and how we are created, then why do such people have to exist?

In addition to that, look at the universe and the amount of galaxies aside from our own. Our planet, our species - there could be so many more kinds of species out there, millions even, and as that is the case, what exactly makes us so special? Why has an apparent 'god' taken such an interest in our planet out of every other one in this universe?

I have nothing against people who are religious (not unless you believe that violence is a way of expressing it) and I don't want to sound that way, but after all of the pain, suffering, and trauma that I and other people around me have experienced, until I see evidence I will forever believe that we are alone in the world.

Why don't you just be a generic Christian? It's not that hard to live a Christian life. You can sin all you want and Jesus will forgive you as long as you truly are sorry. lol

Sure, He will, but it doesn't mean sinning doesn't hurt him. Why would you want to sin? Jesus died on the cross for all of us to open the gates of Heaven. Why would you sin more? Sinning is like nailing Him to the cross again and again. 

That's why confession exists. It takes him down from that cross when we tell our sins to a priest and promise to sin no more.

In fact, promising to sin no more is essential for God's forgiveness. Even though we are human and always end up breaking that promise, it is when we do out best that it makes God happy.

When we are sorry for out sins but make no effort to stop sinning, that's when you need to stop and think. It means you really aren't sorry for your sins, and that you have an imperfect contrition.

But I'm not an expert on the Catholic faith. Go ask someone better at it than I.

I have no religion. Not because I don't believe in some form of higher power, or that I have no strict and structured moral code that I live by, I just can't get behind any of them. They are a human construct, factually speaking. I believe in something, and it has influenced many different cultures. That much I can say for sure as a man of history and science.

But as for the labels and classifications, I have none.

I personally don't believe that moral codes are a human construct. God, as we know of Him today, was the one who established the Ten Commandments.

I personally don't believe that moral codes are a human construct. God, as we know of Him today, was the one who established the Ten Commandments.

Moses established the Ten Commandments, and my own personal morals stretch wel beyond those 10 basic laws of ethics.

For one, I don't like the argument of "God has intended for your life to be this way" - I don't like the idea that I don't have control of my life. I don't like the idea that there's the possibility of 'someone' lifting a finger, and suddenly that's my life over, or on its way to being over

If you're speaking about Christianity, that's a misconception. You have total control over your life, and total free will. That god form the bible did not intend for any of our lives to be this way, that's why in Revelations he has to cleanse humanity and rebuild the earth anew for everyone to live without death (a natural occurrence created by our sins, and the sins of our fathers, not god's hand, but our own). And yes, the concept of going to heaven is also a human assertion on Christianity. We are beings of earth, created on earth, to live on earth. NO portion of any book from the bible ever spoke of humans going to heaven until the Romans got involved.

I encourage everyone to read the bible at least once, and not one of the heavily modified versions, as close to original text as you can find. It's actually quite an epic journey comprised mostly of historical events and accounts. It's the angels and turning water into wine that's contested, and up for debate.

Just now, Loco Mofo said:

Moses established the Ten Commandments, and my own personal morals stretch wel beyond those 10 basic laws of ethics.

If you're speaking about Christianity, that's a misconception. You have total control over your life, and total free will. That god form the bible did not intend for any of our lives to be this way, that's why in Revelations he has to cleanse humanity and rebuild the earth anew for everyone to live without death (a natural occurrence created by our sins, and the sins of our fathers, not god's hand, but our own). And yes, the concept of going to heaven is also a human assertion on Christianity. We are beings of earth, created on earth, to live on earth. NO portion of any book from the bible ever spoke of humans going to heaven until the Romans got involved.

I encourage everyone to read the bible at least once, and not one of the heavily modified versions, as close to original text as you can find. It's actually quite an epic journey comprised mostly of historical events and accounts. It's the angels and turning water into wine that's contested, and up for debate.

Sadly it contains a lot of things that people don't want to believe was once part of the religion, too.

I'll give my reasoning for being agnostic, and purely nothing but that.

As nice as it is to believe that there is another force watching over us and guiding our lives, I'm afraid that there has been enough to make me believe otherwise, although I do believe in the possibility of there being some upper force out there. Until the day that I have CONCRETE evidence, however, I will not accept that such a thing exists. If there is solid proof hen fair enough.

For one, I don't like the argument of "God has intended for your life to be this way" - I don't like the idea that I don't have control of my life. I don't like the idea that there's the possibility of 'someone' lifting a finger, and suddenly that's my life over, or on its way to being over. If there is a God who loves and protects us all, then many of us would not have experienced the pain which we have, and lost the ones we loved so dearly.

That's my main problem. How can a God claim to be almighty when they allow such pain and suffering that is far beyond our control? Crippling diseases, bone cancer in children, plus the evil that has always, and still does, plague the world in the form of people. If God influences us and how we are created, then why do such people have to exist?

In addition to that, look at the universe and the amount of galaxies aside from our own. Our planet, our species - there could be so many more kinds of species out there, millions even, and as that is the case, what exactly makes us so special? Why has an apparent 'god' taken such an interest in our planet out of every other one in this universe?

I have nothing against people who are religious (not unless you believe that violence is a way of expressing it) and I don't want to sound that way, but after all of the pain, suffering, and trauma that I and other people around me have experienced, until I see evidence I will forever believe that we are alone in the world.

I wanna thank you for showing me your point of you. I really appreciate it, as this is my thread.

As far as evidence for God's existence, I recommend two things... The Cosmological Argument and the Teleological Argument. Those are the best evidence for His existence.

I also would like to remind you that God gave us free-will. It is both a luxury and a curse. It's a luxury because we're not mindless puppets, it's a curse because it gives us the option of doing evil.

I believe that the reason for so much evil and suffering is because we are, even today of all days, being punished for what is known as "The Original Sin". Adam and Eve, and all of their children and grandchildren, including you and me, are suffering for their lack of obedience. Because of them, we are forced to have to work in order to eat, and for women to have painful childbirth.

Evil came from us, not God. And God has no desire of eliminating the evil in our world because it serves a purpose for him. It punishes yet strengthens people's resolve. It weeds out the strong and righteous to the weak and evil of the world. Our faith is constantly being tested, over and over and over again. And to quote the Bible in regards to this, here's a favorite of mine...

The life of man upon earth is a warfare. - Job 7:1

The Ten Commandments are listed twice in the Hebrew Bible, first at Exodus 20:1–17, and then at Deuteronomy 5:6–21. Both versions state that God inscribed them on two stone tablets, which he gave to Moses on Mount Sinai.

From google.

Both books were written by Moses.

Evil came from us, not God. And God has no desire of eliminating the evil in our world because it serves a purpose for him. It punishes yet strengthens people's resolve. It weeds out the strong and righteous to the weak and evil of the world. Our faith is constantly being tested, over and over and over again. And to quote the Bible in regards to this, here's a favorite of mine...

The life of man upon earth is a warfare. - Job 7:1

The biblical god loathes evil and sin (floods, fire, lol). It's an anomaly that has corrupted and destroyed his children. The entire purpose of the bible illustrates the conflict between god and our sins. The purpose of Jesus was to give his life, so that our sins could be forgiven through him.

It's interesting you quoted the book of Job. That's the tale of the conflict between god and satan, and one of the few times he is depicted at length. God summons him before all the angels and creatures of heaven. It's the story of a man named Job who was a loyal servant of god. Satan and god had been at odds. Satan was defying him, trying to prove that his beloved children could be seduced against him. God used Job as a pawn in this little game of theirs.

"The Lord said to Satan, 'From where do you come?' Then Satan answered the Lord and said, 'From roaming about on the earth and walking around on it.'"

–Job 1:7

“And the Lord said to Satan, ‘Behold, all that he has is in your hand.  Only against him do not stretch out your hand.’  So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord.” –Job 1:12

Perfect example of the conflict between God, and sin, or evil.

The whole point of Revelations, or "Judgment Day" is to cleanse evil from earth. Satan, and all his followers, all the sinners and evil doers will be locked away in the abyss as punishment for their defiance and uncleanness. After a set period of time, they will be released back into the newly rebuilt earth for one last chance to repent. Satan will also be to tempt and seduce once more as a test for all those who had chosen life over death, and to see if the sinners from the abyss have really had a change of heart.

Your god wants nothing more than to vanquish evil. This is the source material, not my opinion.

Also the reason he doesn't just do it, is illustrated through the book of Job. He could just wipe it all clean, but he has hundreds of angels who may doubt it, doubt him as Satan and his followers did. THis "trial" is to prove beyond the shadow of a doubt, that god's way is best, and Satan's way is destructive. God is fair, God is just.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both books were written by Moses.

The biblical god loathes evil and sin (floods, fire, lol). It's an anomaly tha has corrupted and destroyed his children. The entire purpose of the bible illustrates the conflict between god and our sins. The purpose of Jesus was to give his life, so that our sins could be forgiven through him.

It's interesting you quoted the book of Job. That's the tale of the conflict between god and satan, and one of the few times he is depicted at length. God summons him before all the angels and creatures of heaven. It's the story of a man named Job who was a loyal servant of god. Satan and god had been at odds. Satan was defying him, trying to prove that his beloved children could be seduced against him. God used Job as a pawn in this little game of thiers.

"The Lord said to Satan, 'From where do you come?' Then Satan answered the Lord and said, 'From roaming about on the earth and walking around on it.'"

–Job 1:87

“And the Lord said to Satan, ‘Behold, all that he has is in your hand.  Only against him do not stretch out your hand.’  So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord.” –Job 1:12

Perfect example of the conflict between God, and sin, or evil.

The whole point of Revelations, or "Judgment Day" is to cleanse evil from earth. Satan, and all his followers, all the sinners and evil doers will be locked away in the abyss as punishment for their defiance and uncleanness. After a set period of time, they will be released back into the newly rebuilt earth for one last chance to repent. Satan will also be to tempt and seduce once more as a test for all those who had chosen life over death, and to see if the sinners from the abyss have really had a change of heart.

Your god wants nothing more than to vanquish evil. This is the source material, not my opinion.

He wants to vanquish evil eventually, but not now. It's not the time yet.

As of right now, evil is here, alive and well. If so, what explains the existence of terrorists, criminals, and rapists? God could eliminate that if he wanted to, but he is biding his time.

And I love the fact that evil exists. I love struggle. It makes me feel alive. Strong people need something to push against.

I edited this in my last post:

Also the reason he doesn't just do it, is illustrated through the book of Job. He could just wipe it all clean, but he has hundreds of angels who may doubt it, doubt him as Satan and his followers did. This "trial" is to prove beyond the shadow of a doubt, that god's way is best, and Satan's way is destructive. God is fair, God is just.

every religion*

they are all parallel and in no way contradicting.

When it says you can only be a part of this religion and no other. It does not specify that the "others" we reference are in fact Other religions: they are not.

monotheist are they all (henotheism is monotheism.)

I'll be honest; there was a lot less burning at the stake than I expected from this thread, so I don't see why not. Besides, it might be interesting to share for the first time in a while.

Much like two or three others who have already posted here, I don't really have a set religion, or a fully-encompassing term for what I am. If you want to put it simply without examining the details; I'm polytheistic, but the gods I believe in are less gods and more spirits, representing aspects and items within this realm. They influence what we see and think, but their influence isn't absolute, and they are actually mortal, their life connected to what they represent. So, it actually started turning into this controversial thing in my friend group that that gives all of us 'pocket' gods because we exist too, and I stopped putting my beliefs into words about then because I wanted to avoid conflict between everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back