Other What's your religion?

Get enough people together and you'll eventually build a critical mass of assholes, regardless of their ages, sexes, sexual orientations, religions etc. I'm quite pleasantly surprised it hasn't happened here :)

Mmm, I don't think this is a good enough excuse. "Well, if there's enough people gathered together in a movement, it's eventually going to become toxic!" I don't think that's true and I think it's a bit enabling to the people who are toxic. It hasn't happened in this thread because people called out the bad behavior, including a moderator.

I'm quite pleasantly surprised it hasn't happened here :)

You are an idiot.

photo.jpg

Get enough people together and you'll eventually build a critical mass of assholes, regardless of their ages, sexes, sexual orientations, religions etc. I'm quite pleasantly surprised it hasn't happened here :)

I may have diffused a situation on this thread...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an agnostic. The true nature of all things is at present unknown. I won't say it is entirely unknowable. I believe in the science behind the universe and spot connections between things that shape my personal view of how everything works. Does this mean that we already know everything?  No, it doesn't. We cannot prove or disprove the existence of a 'soul', for example. Why?  Perhaps merely because we don't have a tool to register its presence.  Perhaps for a thousand other reasons.  

Returning to the topic of religions, they are no more than meaningless symbolism to me.  Moreover, the increasing hatefulness of multiple religons warrants scrutiny over the practices which are no longer deemed appropriate this day in age. Arranged marriage, not allowing modern medicine, viloence for religious reasons, quacks, etc.  In short, the law should always hold absolute power over religion and where the boundaries of socially acceptable behaviour lie. 

There is one religious leader, however, who has made a clear and respectable statement:  " If science proves some belief of Buddhism wrong, then Buddhism will have to change. In my view, science and Buddhism share a search for the truth and for understanding reality. By learning from science about aspects of reality where its understanding may be more advanced, I believe that Buddhism enriches its own worldview" ~ Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama

Sadly, other religious leaders dwell in the dark ages. 

If you asked me ten years ago I would have said Christian because I only knew about christianity and didn't recognize any other religions because I was a silly little boy. Asked me five years ago I would have said athiest and tried to contest everyones beliefs because I thought I knew everything there was to know by telling people what was and wasn't right. I guess you could say I've matures since then but that isn't the case. I've reached a point where I just could care less anymore, I only have about 76 more years on this planet and I don't really want to spend it wondering how the world came to be or how it will end, even more infuriating what comes after death. I've come to accept that whatever happens happens and that if you asked me I'd reply with "I actually don't give a shit either way.". Sure is blatent but it couldn't be any truer in my case.

Bit fuzzy for me. I was baptized, and tried living by Christian standards and under the roof of th church till' the age of ten. That was when I started questioning things, like the fact that the church gets stacks of money through donations, and while they're sitting on their asses praying for those in need, they could be using said stacks of money to help said people in need around the world - and a bunch of other stuff. In the current day, I believe in the philosophy of Nihilism. I believe there is a greater entity, but I don't believe that Good or Bad has anything to do with its being, and that said concepts are nothing more than that: concepts. So, I don't really know what I am. Is there a term for someone who believes in Nihilism and a greater entity?

I've reached a point where I just couldn't care less anymore, I only have about 76 more years on this planet and I don't really want to spend it wondering how the world came to be or how it will end, even more infuriating what comes after death. I've come to accept that whatever happens happens and that if you asked me I'd reply with "I actually don't give a shit either way.". Sure is blatant but it couldn't be any truer in my case.

You sound like an ignostic.

I'm an agnostic. The true nature of all things is at present unknown. I won't say it is entirely unknowable. I believe in the science behind the universe and spot connections between things that shape my personal view of how everything works. Does this mean that we already know everything?  No, it doesn't. We cannot prove or disprove the existence of a 'soul', for example. Why?  Perhaps merely because we don't have a tool to register its presence.  Perhaps for a thousand other reasons.  

Returning to the topic of religions, they are no more than meaningless symbolism to me.  Moreover, the increasing hatefulness of multiple religons warrants scrutiny over the practices which are no longer deemed appropriate this day in age. Arranged marriage, not allowing modern medicine, viloence for religious reasons, quacks, etc.  In short, the law should always hold absolute power over religion and where the boundaries of socially acceptable behaviour lie. 

There is one religious leader, however, who has made a clear and respectable statement:  " If science proves some belief of Buddhism wrong, then Buddhism will have to change. In my view, science and Buddhism share a search for the truth and for understanding reality. By learning from science about aspects of reality where its understanding may be more advanced, I believe that Buddhism enriches its own worldview" ~ Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama

Sadly, other religious leaders dwell in the dark ages. 

The government regulating religion, at least in the US, is unconstitutional.  It also would break the whole thing of government and church being seperate.  We have the 1st Amendment for a reason - so people can practice religion freely, despite how messed up it might be.  Government regulation over churches/religion would be a complete disaster.

The government regulating religion, at least in the US, is unconstitutional.  It also would break the whole thing of government and church being seperate.  We have the 1st Amendment for a reason - so people can practice religion freely, despite how messed up it might be. Government regulation over churches/religion would be a complete disaster.

Not necessarily.  Separation of religion and state is aimed directly at protecting the civil rights of citizens.  Religion can, thus, never be a grounds to circumvent the law.  Your first amendment should be understood as: The state cannot punish you for being part of a religious group.  It does not mean that your religious group can disregard laws because they are against your religion. 

If you asked me ten years ago I would have said Christian because I only knew about christianity and didn't recognize any other religions because I was a silly little boy. Asked me five years ago I would have said athiest and tried to contest everyones beliefs because I thought I knew everything there was to know by telling people what was and wasn't right. I guess you could say I've matures since then but that isn't the case. I've reached a point where I just could care less anymore, I only have about 76 more years on this planet and I don't really want to spend it wondering how the world came to be or how it will end, even more infuriating what comes after death. I've come to accept that whatever happens happens and that if you asked me I'd reply with "I actually don't give a shit either way.". Sure is blatent but it couldn't be any truer in my case.

You sound like an ignostic.

And apatheist too.

It does not mean that your religious group can disregard laws because they are against your religion. 

This is a topic that has caused much controversy in the UK. There have been reports of Muslims setting up courts and making rulings by sharia law rather than those of the UK.

Although I'm sure it's been blown out of all sense of proportion by the media and certain groups with vested interests in vilifying these groups, its still troubling that there are people who seem so determined to be separate from the rest of the country they have chosen to live in. If people can disregard laws because they don't agree with their personal faith we're all on a slippery slope.

This is a topic that has caused much controversy in the UK. There have been reports of Muslims setting up courts and making rulings by sharia law rather than those of the UK.

Although I'm sure it's been blown out of all sense of proportion by the media and certain groups with vested interests in vilifying these groups, its still troubling that there are people who seem so determined to be separate from the rest of the country they have chosen to live in. If people can disregard laws because they don't agree with their personal faith we're all on a slippery slope.

I'm quite sure this is somewhat blown out of proportion, at the very least.  Such a tribunal would be highly illegal and deemed a criminal activity.  Acting as a judge or court outside of those sanctioned by the government, is always a severe offense. Those involved would risk heavy penalties. 

and yet it happens. I googled it earlier to make sure I was spelling it correctly and there was a news article. Apparently they've identified as many as 85 of these "courts". A tiny proportion of the population, but worrisome implications.

The best way I can answer this is that I'm  ' undecided'  It's not something I figured out with in my life yet...

92% of teenagers have turned to Hip Hop and Pop. If you are part of the 8% that still WISH TO DIE FIGHTING ON DISTANT LANDS FOR THE ETERNAL GLORY OF THE ✝CROSS✝ THE FIREY JUSTICE OF THE ONE TRUE GOD AND THE GOOD WORD OF JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD AND SAVIOR, copy and paste this message to another 5✝ profiles. DON'T LET THE SPIRIT OF THE ☩CRUSADES☩ DIE

92% of teenagers have turned to Hip Hop and Pop. If you are part of the 8% that still WISH TO DIE FIGHTING ON DISTANT LANDS FOR THE ETERNAL GLORY OF THE ✝CROSS✝ THE FIREY JUSTICE OF THE ONE TRUE GOD AND THE GOOD WORD OF JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD AND SAVIOR, copy and paste this message to another 5✝ profiles. DON'T LET THE SPIRIT OF THE ☩CRUSADES☩ DIE

Eh? I'm a bit confused there.

So are you implying that a person can't enjoy listening to certain kinds of music genre and still wish to give up their life defending God? That's a bit confusing, don'tchya think?

Eh? I'm a bit confused there.

So are you implying that a person can't enjoy listening to certain kinds of music genre and still wish to give up their life defending God? That's a bit confusing, don'tchya think?

Silas was dropping what I believe The Youth call a 'damp maymay.'  This is nonsensical gibberish intended to mock old folks and people who are not 'four chins,' and is intentionally confusing and meaningless. 

Crusade memes aside, I suppose I'm just an atheist. I think I'm well over the whole "haha im fuckin edgy and smarter than everyone" phase I initially had awhile ago, though.

When it comes religion-related stuff, I usually don't get involved with anything that has to do with "proving" or "disproving God." It's pointless.

It's better to debate religion-related things that affect people in the real world. Not silly stuff like banning Christmas or "In God We Trust", but actual problems. Even if they're not problems in our cozy part of the world. Separation of church and state, for example. Not all countries have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back