Other What's your religion?

Is there any other Kemetics celebrating Anubis' (and Set's other children) birthday next week? 

xvpkj.gif

There are so many things wrong with this.

First of all, to say they had anything to do with ending slavery, creating women's rights, or democracy, is a blatant falsehood. There's no evidence to even support that, because it's just not true, in any capacity. There aren't even commandments that directly relate to any of those things. The western world would have been created with or without them, their baring on that entire history is practically non-existent. Without the Sumerian god Anu, the bible probably wouldn't exist. That statement actually holds more weight,

Hitler was a Catholic. Many soldiers who are devout believers commit murder, this video is absurd.

More people have been killed, whether by god's actions in the bible, in the name of god, or by believers of god, than as a result of the holocaust. So clearly, belief in god has no baring on distinguishing right from wrong.

Moses was a great man, and the world's first real philosopher. Whether you believe or not, we can all leave it at that.

Clearly you haven't watched the whole playlist. I'm an agnostic, but it's a relatively good series.

So what inspired all these cultures of differing regions and societies to develop and practice faith in a higher power? What inspired them all? Why does this phenomena even exist? Could so many people have really got the same general ideas, or have been contacted and influenced by real deities?

Logic says no, of course. There cannot be so many gods, each responsible for a universal power and creation myth. Any logical human being can see this and grapple with the gravity of it. Either they are all real, none of them are real, or the very first inspired the rest (but again, there was no known or feasible contact with North America or South America). Just one among hundreds can't be the only legitimate one, especially if others predate it. That's basic common sense.

Or the Six Blind Men story is true.

Also, you sound like a humanist.

Humanism: Any system or mode of thought or action in which human interests, values, and dignity predominate.

Note that Christianity is the ONLY religion in which God comes down to us in human form.  The other religions are about working hard, following certain rules so you may achieve a divine state.  Christianity is one of forgiveness, one in which tells us that humans will never reach a divine-like state without the help of God.

That's trivially true. The God of the Bible doesn't exist in any other religion, so they couldn't appear to anyone outside of Christianity or Judaism. 

Christians and logic are like day & night, incapable of finding each other.

That's true for Conservative Christianity. Liberal Christianity is more in line with modern science and culture.

I found this article that I haven't read yet, it may be helpful: http://www.crosswalk.com/blogs/john-shore/conservative-vs-liberal-christianity-which-is-better-11625478.html

Just gonna put my little tidbit into this.

The Trinity is a hard concept to grasp, and you can't really wrap your mind around it fully. I've gone around to accepting that there are some things that I, as a human and my limited mind, cannot understand completely even if I had the most exceptional teacher out there. But that's just me, and I understand that people really want to have logic and reason into things like these. It's frustrating. >.<

It helps a bit though if you put it this way (for me, anyways):

First, take a look at a triangle.

There are three sides that make it a triangle, but there's only one triangle.

It's kind of the same with God. There are three persons, yet one god. 

If you take away one side of the triangle, it doesn't make it a triangle anymore, yeah?

Aaaand that's all. 

*poofs off*

I made some edits to my post you should read.

Jesus was just a humble man, an honest man, but mortal. It wasn't until the Holy spirit entered him (but wait...... they are the same...) that he became the Jesus of Gospel.

The trinity isn't hard to understand, it's easy to misinterpret.

This is a watch. It has many working parts. Remove one, it no longer functions properly. They are 1 object collectively. But to suggest every part is actually one and the same, is wrong.

Panentheism can be used to understand the trinity. It's essentially what you guys are saying.

How does that work?

Are there any conflicting beliefs in Catholicism and Buddhism that you managed to reconcile?

I was wondering if I could be a Taoist and Christian at the same time...

Well in the case of conflict, I go with the Christian answer but really there's not much conflict with my practice. I was thinking of maybe "converting" to Taoism myself but I don't know enough about it to say whether it's a direct contradiction or not. My current research says it shouldn't be, but again I simply suggest reading the Tao Te Ching before adopting some of its precepts into your existing belief system.

@Riuma

You can use the bible to understand the trinity, and it's not what that video suggests.

Again, you're arguing with God, and the facts provided in the source material.

Also, I have no labels. I'm me, my beliefs are my own, and do not fit in any box.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm half thinking about unfollowing this thread.  

The hostility in this thread is real.

While the first 10 pages were actually a discussion, this snowballed into a thread in which people started shoving each other beliefs down each other throats.  

I said this before, and I will say it again: doing so only makes both parties heated.

Double checking my own posts, I've only tried to explain what the beliefs of Christianity stand for, not attack other people.  

I thank the people who have stayed respectful.  

This is the problem with sensitive threads.  I know I've posted a few controversial topics on this site, so I know how these threads end up:

Locked.

Sorry for the non-related post.

I've only tried to explain the source material to people who would claim the faith.

I stopped believing in god and the christian faith years ago, but it still it pains me to know people follow denominations, that as a historical fact going back to Constaintine (the Roman Emperor who had the first "bible" assembled), have modified the faith from the original text. Stuff like "you'll go to heaven if you're a good christian" or the concept of the trinity, among many other things including the very structure of the churches.

Right, but who are you to decide which parts are to be taken literally and which ones aren't? Are you saying we can actually understand God afterall? I thought God worked in mysterious ways? That's great news, actually, that we can indeed determine what we should take literally and what not. So then by that logic my approach is just as valid and correct as yours, at the very least. You can't possibly dispute my claims about the bible if it IS possible to understand God, since you can't know what is right and what's not any more than I do. But then if it isn't possible, the bible means nothing to us, since we couldn't ever possibly make out what is truth and what is not.

Though I am curious, if we are God's creation, and God is all-powerful as well as all good, it sure seems weird that we are not perfect, and that this represents our connection to God. Why would a distinct difference connect us to God?

Religion is a personal belief that doesn't have any evidence to back it up. She's not deciding, because it's her own personal belief.

If God gave me the opportunity to kill Adolf Hitler or Benito Mussolini, I'd take the job. Not only would I be doing humanity a favor, I'd also become a hero.

Top 10 Times We Could Have Easily Stopped Hitler (But Didn't) — TopTenzNet

Oh no. Not the 'if you don't believe in god you can't have morals' argument... I hope I'm wrong in assuming that's what you're suggesting. PS - Religion is cause of FAR, FAR more immorality, division, murder, cruelty and violence than ANY other set of ideologies or beliefs... so, no, sense would dictate that if you believe in a God (whether there is one or not) that you're more likely to be a real nasty bugger than if you don't believe.

Frans de Waal: Morality Without Religion

God created AIDS

No, the CIA created AIDS.

Catholic Christian with some incorporated elements of Buddhism.

That's interesting, care to elaborate?

I don't know what I am.

Agnostic?

Also, I have no labels. I'm me, my beliefs are my own, and do not fit in any box.

All of us have views and beliefs that may, to varying degrees, be classified and labeled. In and of itself, this is not a bad thing. Ideally, free-thinking intellectuals hold an eclectic mix of beliefs and ideas. However, in reference to a specific topic, these beliefs are often held by kindred spirits and these people will find ways to share and promote their views together. As such, we all resort to patterns of speech and expression. These patterns may often be identified and labeled. This is not a bad thing, per se. These labels may be used to criticize you and ridicule you but they may also be used to praise you and to help you find kindred spirits that may provide a nurturing environment for you to develop your unique perspectives on a particular topic. Such shared, topical themes help you hone your views and share them in a socially productive way. If you want these views that you value to be promulgated, you should embrace classifications and labels, at least to some degree; otherwise, you will live in a proverbial cave and few would benefit from your unique wisdom and unique expression.

For me personally, I embrace some labels even though they don't fully capture my views and beliefs. However, I want you to have some approximation of my views and beliefs so that we may have a more fruitful discussion. So here it is: I am ("approximately") a classical liberal. Some may label me as a "small-L" libertarian but there is baggage associated with that label that I would not defend or fully embrace.  Given my short engagement with your views and opinions, I would tentatively label your views as humanist.

Is there any other Kemetics celebrating Anubis' (and Set's other children) birthday next week? 

Ooh, I'm not a Kemetic, but I am interested to know more about this. What's the day it's happening and what do you do to celebrate, might I ask? ^^

There is no bubble to burst, only in his adulthood did he rennounce the faith.

Read my entire post and you'll get the point. The most hated man in history, was once a Chatholic.

To suggest you cannot fully believe murder is wrong unless it's because god said it, is typical bias BS from the church.

Moses didn't invent the ideal that murder is wrong, god didn't enlighten us to it.

Thw point is, God, nor faith are absolute, especially in terms of morals and ethics.

Ooh, I'm not a Kemetic, but I am interested to know more about this. What's the day it's happening and what do you do to celebrate, might I ask? ^^

"Nov 18 is the feast of Hearing His Words--- and it's the mass birthday of Set's children. Three masts is the forecast, so it's a bad day but it's only for traveling on water this time, not roads. So don't get in a boat." 

So that day is actually my birthday, so I won't have a full evening to celebrate it, but later in the day I'll grab Anubis something he particularly likes (probably chocolate and wine) and play music he likes as well. 

"Nov 18 is the feast of Hearing His Words--- and it's the mass birthday of Set's children. Three masts is the forecast, so it's a bad day but it's only for traveling on water this time, not roads. So don't get in a boat." 

So that day is actually my birthday, so I won't have a full evening to celebrate it, but later in the day I'll grab Anubis something he particularly likes (probably chocolate and wine) and play music he likes as well. 

That's really cool. Has it always been known/taught that November 18th is this feast, or is there a specific reason for it? 

I'm a bit curious to know what you mean when you say that day is actually your birthday as well. Is the day that you were born different from the day that this feast is held? 

That's really cool. Has it always been known/taught that November 18th is this feast, or is there a specific reason for it? 

I'm a bit curious to know what you mean when you say that day is actually your birthday as well. Is the day that you were born different from the day that this feast is held? 

Not sure. I don't have last years calendar to compare. Some feasts are calculated dependent on star location or something of that nature. 

And by birthday....I mean my birthday is on the 18th. Same day. 

I was raised Roman Catholic, I still believe in the core belief, but as I've grown I have been looking at religion in a different light. 

I don't believe babies that aren't baptized go to hell.  Which when I heard it felt wrong. So a lot of what I heard has change and I guess,  I am loosely Catholic if that's possible?

I am the same Religion as my Heroes Through out History:

Gaius Julius Caesar 

Napoleon Boneparte

Karl Marx

I'm an Atheist and Proud Baby!!

I'm Agnostic, I suppose, but I usually say Atheist.

I don't believe in god because I think that if you want to create something (or say that it exists) you should provide a reason, and I see no reason for the god I was taught about in my schooling to exist (Christian god) . To give a pretty basic/obvious example, I believe the world exists because I can see it, touch it and I need a way to explain that, so I trust in the principles of light, matter, etc because they provide a good model to explain it if I were to test them.

So, something that is missing from this thread is the question of why other people believe at all? I don't think religion explains a lot. But I suspect that not going into individual experiences and personal opinions to too great an extent why this thread has remained so civil so I'm going to ask people, anyone who is interested in sharing an experience or a train of thought to PM me. For a lot of people, it will be that their family or teachers told them there is a god, or similar construct, when they were young and impressionable (although, I'm sure they have thought about it since, we all reassess our views and beliefs). I would love to hear from someone who has found religion later in their life, because to be honest, it baffles my mind.

Don't expect to convince me, but you would help me to understand people who have faith.

(We talk about a lot of evidence but I suspect that is more justifying and disproving than the actual experience that first set you on the path to religion)

haha i deleted my previous post quite a while ago because it contained a lot of oversharing, but in short, I'm interested in atheistic satanism and really enjoy satan as a personal symbol, but i haven't had (and probably won't have) a chance to order the Satanic Bible anytime soon because I live with Christians. 

if anyone else is interested in that kind of thing too, feel free to pm me to talk about anything ;0

Not too far off. I say agnostic because if god knocked on my door, turned my water into wine and spun up a new universe, I'd believe that he exists. That said, I hate that element of the definition that is 'cannot be known'. Maybe I'm misinterpreting it, but as far as I can see, if something cannot be known then there is no point to it. You can't use that knowledge, nor can you assume to know what the 'being' in question would want, so it might as well no exist.

I usually say atheist because I think the odds of god proving hsi existence to me is pretty slim, but I'd be open to it if he did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back