Other What's your religion?

I'm open-minded to everything, and always accept others views on their own religion. Unless they try to shove it down my throat, then they'll get the scolding of their life.

Personally, I believe in science, but also the supernatural. I believe we did evolve, and I do believe ghosts are real. But if you have a different opinion to mine, I will accept it and try my best to see it from your perspective. I don't mind what you believe in, as long as you don't try to force me into believing it or treat me negatively or ask me stupid questions because of what I believe in (we've all been there at some point, I'm sure).

I consider myself to be agnostic but I do believe there is some sort of like higher presence that kickstarted everything.

I'm Christian, not technically denominational-which I suppose makes me the Christian Ubermensch-but I got to a Christian and Missionary Alliance Church.

Holy mother of long words

P'shaw! That's nothing. I also know Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis (a lung disease caused by inhaling volcanic smoke).

Anyways, the word "ubermensch" was the ideal person according to Nietzche, which basically meant "a person who could rise above the values of society and impose their own values". Technically, an Ubermensch by definition is an atheist (and rather nihilistic at that) though I was making a tongue in cheek declaration that my rejection of denomination made me a Christian Ubermensch.

A more accurate term would probably be "free thinker" or something.

Some followers call us Asatru some Heathen, it varies really. Germanic pagan fits too I guess. Was raised pagan, and carry it forward with my kids. Somewhat irritated by the Marvel "Thor" movies, but will feel better when a studio makes a "Super-Jesus" movie.

Two years ago, I relinquished my faith in God and decided to be an atheist. I hated God at the time because of the unfortunate circumstances in my life. I recently got kicked out of Job Corps for some bullshit but I managed to find a job. I was a cart pusher at Wal-Mart.

My life-style at the time was basically: Work, Eat, Workout, and Get Laid.

I was living in a homeless shelter because I couldn't afford my own apartment yet. I was frustrated. I worked hard and did everything right, but I was still in a homeless shelter.

So one day, out of spite, I went to the bathroom of the YMCA that I go to and decided to sell my soul to the devil. I didn't take it seriously as I was atheist back then. I simply wanted to give God the middle finger in case he actually existed. So in that bathroom, I roleplayed. I used my imagination and spoke to an imaginary devil.

Basically, in my conversation with the devil, I told them he could have my soul if I can have lots and lots of money. And I signed an imaginary written contract.

That night, when I was about to sleep at the second floor of the homeless shelter (I earned the privilege to be at the more comfortable second floor), I felt a presence. I didn't know what it was at first, until I hallucinated.

In my room were a bunch of floating heads. All of them women with pale gray skin and black hair. They were all staring at me with the eyes of a shark. They looked like zombies.

I immediately assumed that I was hallucinating, but I wasn't sure what. I wasn't crazy or anything. So I ignored what I saw and slept.

I had a dream...

In this dream, I was staring at a mirror. Behind me was one of the women that I saw, with her full body. She touched my shoulder and all of a sudden a sky and a forest appeared. She was dragging me down to the forest while I was desperately trying to get to the top. Then I woke up in a sweat.

I rushed back down the shelter to talk to the people who ran the place. They were religious people and someone I could trust. I told them everything. And then one of them asked me a very compelling question...

"Do you pray," he asked.

"Yes, I do. I pray to God," I told him.

"What was the name of the God that you were praying to?"

At that moment I froze. I didn't know what to say. The hairs at the back of my neck stood up.

The next morning, I went to work, and I hallucinated again while at work. It was the woman that I saw in my dream. I asked her what her name was, and she said, Akarya.

I looked up Akarya on the internet and it turned out that it was a Sanskrit word, meaning Forbidden Activities.

I stuck to Christianity ever since...

Just to play the Devil's Advocate - why Christianity? If the word was Sanskrit, a language which has existed long before Christianity did, why not convert to Hinduism or Buddhism, the two religions actually rooted in Sanskrit? Who's to say your 'devil' wasn't Ravana or Banasura, or even the dark aspect of Shiva Shakti, pushing you to your destiny with a little tough love?

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe in God and Christianity. There have been a few defining moments in my life that have led me to believe in God. One of the worse was seeing an exorcism being performed on my step mother....I freaked out so bad I put crosses and bibles all over my room. And I wouldn't talk to her for weeks because she freaked me out. I was like 15 watching my dad's wife speak in tongues and telling our youth pastor that her name was "Legion, for I am many" and her voice didn't change like the movies it just sounded evil and sinister. She also said to the youth pastor, "I had you once, Joe." The door to the congregation room we were in also slammed so hard by itself and I was so scared to even move. If my bladder would have been full, I would have pissed my pants. 

26 years old and I still won't spend the night at her and my dad's house. She seems normal now but it was traumatizing. I cant even watch a commercial on scary movies about demons.

Some followers call us Asatru some Heathen, it varies really. Germanic pagan fits too I guess. Was raised pagan, and carry it forward with my kids. Somewhat irritated by the Marvel "Thor" movies, but will feel better when a studio makes a "Super-Jesus" movie.

i remember back in 2011 (?) when the first thor movie came out.

girls started coming to school wearing wooden mjolnir necklaces.

it's so weird, man. it'd be like if everyone began wearing turbans and hijabs because they saw it in a movie and thought it looked cool.

I believe in God and Christianity. There have been a few defining moments in my life that have led me to believe in God. One of the worse was seeing an exorcism being performed on my step mother....I freaked out so bad I put crosses and bibles all over my room. And I wouldn't talk to her for weeks because she freaked me out. I was like 15 watching my dad's wife speak in tongues and telling our youth pastor that her name was "Legion, for I am many" and her voice didn't change like the movies it just sounded evil and sinister. She also said to the youth pastor, "I had you once, Joe." The door to the congregation room we were in also slammed so hard by itself and I was so scared to even move. If my bladder would have been full, I would have pissed my pants. 

26 years old and I still won't spend the night at her and my dad's house. She seems normal now but it was traumatizing. I cant even watch a commercial on scary movies about demons.

That's a cool story. Thanks for sharing.

P'shaw! That's nothing. I also know Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis (a lung disease caused by inhaling volcanic smoke).

Anyways, the word "ubermensch" was the ideal person according to Nietzche, which basically meant "a person who could rise above the values of society and impose their own values". Technically, an Ubermensch by definition is an atheist (and rather nihilistic at that) though I was making a tongue in cheek declaration that my rejection of denomination made me a Christian Ubermensch.

A more accurate term would probably be "free thinker" or something.

Or, as Jews say, a mensch is a good man.

I am atheist, hate people who think religion applies to laws, and I was raised Jewish

I am a spiritual athiest. I grew up Lutheran and I grew up very religious until I had a epiphany. Do I follow because I believe. Or because I was told. I was 8. Now I think differently. I do not like religion, nore do I like overly religious people but I am spiratul. Like for example, Buddhism. But I think the concept of a god is just a excuse. And Satan is a throw away villian. There are so many loopholes that, it would take me hours to go through it all. But besides that I can't help but say that no matter your experience I can't believe you. Especially one's with hollucinations/dreams . Your brain is a powerful deciever and to say a god is existant because you dreamed about one is so stupid that im not even mad. Please if you believe in that because of a dream get help. Study the brain, be skeptical.

That's a cool story. Thanks for sharing.

I wouldn't say cool because it has effected my relationship with her and my sanity. And it's one of those things that is burned into your mind even though you won't to forget it. I wish I never saw it and wish I was ignorant. I would just never describe it as cool because the way it impacted my life was not cool.

I wouldn't say cool because it has effected my relationship with her and my sanity. And it's one of those things that is burned into your mind even though you won't to forget it. I wish I never saw it and wish I was ignorant. I would just never describe it as cool because the way it impacted my life was not cool.

I think it's a cool story if only for the fact that it made you fear the supernatural.

Fear of God is the beginning of knowledge, said the Bible.

Another atheist here.  Usually I avoid these types of threads because there is always the intent of conversion, but seems this thread isn't doing that thankfully.

3 hours ago, Fyuri said:

Another atheist here.  Usually I avoid these types of threads because there is always the intent of conversion, but seems this thread isn't doing that thankfully.

Agreed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back