Other What's your religion?

@Riuma @Zombocalypse

Hey guys, I know you two are trying to be helpful by suggesting what religions people 'fit in to' by their descriptions, but sometimes people prefer not to be labelled and it is disrespectful to say something like 'How about agnosticism?' or 'I think you are a Christian' as religion is a very sensitive subject and choosing a religion to some people requires a lot of thought and even family or relationship troubles if someone were to convert. So please, do not do it anymore. Thanks :)  

As a kid I had bouts of Christianity, mainly to cope. I was serious about wanting to go to church but somehow I just never did (probably mainly because I'd have to go alone since my mom isn't religious)

Then I got really interested in Wicca and Paganism, but I was too scared to do anything with it because of (again) my family. Whatever is different from normal has to be wrong, according to their (non-religious) beliefs.

So I spend a loooong time being agnostic. But recently, after some experiences I've had and a good conversation with a friend of mine, I've come back to the Wicca/Paganism thing. Only very recently, so I'm still trying to find the path that suits me, but I know this path is right for me. I've felt something I can't put into words a while back, a very spiritual experience, and it was during a Pagan event.

Said thing was during a ritual known as the Wickerman. I was going to some general shit and feeling very terrible and unlucky. So I made an offering to the Wickerman and asked for some positive changes in my life, to leave the negativity behind me. When the Wickerman was lit, I just started crying. No explanation. I just felt something in my chest (lots of people could feel it). It was strangely beautiful. Fun thing is: not too long after that ritual, I DID go through some (sudden) positive changes. Some family issue has been partially restored, school's going well for the first time in years, I've re-established contact with my father's side of the family whom I haven't spoken to in years, financially thing got better, I got a job (after being rejected many times)...

It's odd how much changed, but I didn't pay it a lot of mind until the conversation with my friend, where once again I experienced some interesting things. She's helping me finding my path now.

So... to simply answer the question of this topic: I'd say my religion is either Paganism or Wicca, still figuring things out.

I'm an Agnostic-Theist. I choose to believe in God, capital "G", but I don't think there is enough evidence to prove or disprove his existence. Therefore, I choose to place my faith in the unknown and acknowledge no one can ever know. It is my decision, one based on hope and not any notions that it can be absolutely proven he is real or not. On another note, I do not believe in the Bible. I feel that since man wrote it, it can be false. How do I know some guy didn't just put his own beliefs in it, and try to pass it off as holy? I want to believe that there is something more after life and in death, because at the end of the day, it's absolutely depressing to think in the end nothing matters. No matter what your religious beliefs. I also like the thought that everything that exists wasn't just an accident, but it was all created with purpose. Call me an optimist, but I like to think we all have a purpose and an importance in this universe.

@Riuma @Zombocalypse

Hey guys, I know you two are trying to be helpful by suggesting what religions people 'fit in to' by their descriptions, but sometimes people prefer not to be labelled and it is disrespectful to say something like 'How about agnosticism?' or 'I think you are a Christian' as religion is a very sensitive subject and choosing a religion to some people requires a lot of thought and even family or relationship troubles if someone were to convert. So please, do not do it anymore. Thanks :)  

I'm fine with stopping, but I want to say a few things.

When I suggest agnosticism, it has nothing to do with me trying to get more agnostics. I'm just basing it off what the person has said and am aware that the less information I get, the more likely I am wrong. Also, no one seemed to be upset by it, which is why I kept doing it.

I can understand that some people might not want to be labelled, but realistically people have labels. I addressed it in the quote below.

Again, I'm fine with stopping, I just wanted to drop a few more cents on the matter.

[SIZE= inherit]All of us have views and beliefs that may, to varying degrees, be classified and labeled. In and of itself, this is not a bad thing. Ideally, free-thinking intellectuals hold an eclectic mix of beliefs and ideas. However, in reference to a specific topic, these beliefs are often held by kindred spirits and these people will find ways to share and promote their views together. As such, we all resort to patterns of speech and expression. These patterns may often be identified and labeled. This is not a bad thing, per se. These labels may be used to criticize you and ridicule you but they may also be used to praise you and to help you find kindred spirits that may provide a nurturing environment for you to develop your unique perspectives on a particular topic. Such shared, topical themes help you hone your views and share them in a socially productive way. If you want these views that you value to be promulgated, you should embrace classifications and labels, at least to some degree; otherwise, you will live in a proverbial cave and few would benefit from your unique wisdom and unique expression.[/SIZE]

For me personally, I embrace some labels even though they don't fully capture my views and beliefs. However, I want you to have some approximation of my views and beliefs so that we may have a more fruitful discussion. So here it is: I am ("approximately") a classical liberal. Some may label me as a "small-L" libertarian but there is baggage associated with that label that I would not defend or fully embrace.  Given my short engagement with your views and opinions, I would tentatively label your views as humanist.

nah, it's just that i believe in many gods and goddesses and believes that every religion is connected in a sense of way. idk.

Have you heard of the Six Blind Men story? I posted a video about it recently in this thread.

I'm an Agnostic-Theist. I choose to believe in God, capital "G", but I don't think there is enough evidence to prove or disprove his existence. Therefore, I choose to place my faith in the unknown and acknowledge no one can ever know. It is my decision, one based on hope and not any notions that it can be absolutely proven he is real or not. On another note, I do not believe in the Bible. I feel that since man wrote it, it can be false. How do I know some guy didn't just put his own beliefs in it, and try to pass it off as holy? I want to believe that there is something more after life and in death, because at the end of the day, it's absolutely depressing to think in the end nothing matters. No matter what your religious beliefs. I also like the thought that everything that exists wasn't just an accident, but it was all created with purpose. Call me an optimist, but I like to think we all have a purpose and an importance in this universe.

I just wanted to say, even if there is no God, this doesn't mean our existence is meaningless. I would elaborate, but I am on a phone, so instead I will refer you to another thread. 

https://www.rpnation.com/topic/271459-what-is-the-meaning-of-life-serious-answers-only/#comment-7019190

Yay! More Wiccans/Pagans, either aspiring or more experienced :3

Now I feel less lonely in this topic

PRAISE SATAN.

SACRIFICE YOUR FIRST BORN VIRGIN GIRLS IN THE NAME OF THE LORD OF HELL

I joke.

Uh, I'm not particularly sure what I am, truth be told.

Mainly because my parents are of two differing religions but were always very laid back about it, so we don't really discuss it or mention religion at all in my household.

My father is a catholic and my mother is a Muslim. So whilst they've both never tried making me into either one respectfully, they both have made subtle mentions of their religion's that can be considered influencing in a way. When my grandmother died for example, my father said to me that she'd be up in heaven and she'd always be watching over me. Meanwhile, my Mother has influenced me by often disapproving of or showing some concern whenever I eat Pork or meats that aren't halal. 

I, however, have always been quite indecisive and unsure on what I believe despite their influence in both my past and current life.

If it counts for anything, however, I've always had a deep fascination with Satanism, Buddhism, and Paganism. All of which are wildly different to both their belief's. 

Weird trio to have an interest of at one time, I know. 

Overall, I do think, however, I would ultimately describe myself as something of an Apatheist. Whilst I've always been interested in a variety of religions and how the universe was ultimately created, I don't think It's something that's all that pivotal in my life or been anywhere close to my deepest concerns now or ever. I believe that even if, somehow, the existence of God(s) was proven true or proven false, I generally wouldn't show much care and ultimately wouldn't change who I am at all.

I too, am an Atheist. Im also glad how this place is safer to state Religion, I play a Roblox game called "Black Magic" and some random Feminist meme equivalent of a christian (aka a really obnoxious one) downvoted the game because "Its related to satan in every way"

When theres nothing satanic related in the game and THERES A PURITY FACTION FOCUSED ON LIGHT BASED CLASSES FFS.

It gets better when they started to curse me off for proving them wrong and for stating that i have no beliefs. If anybody is about to join Roblox, save them by showing them this. #savepeoplefromrobloxcommunities2016

Users who are viewing this thread

Back