Experiences What's one RP trope/topic that makes you leave without discussion?

Yikes, live triangles. They *can* be done well but more often than not they're just ridiculous.
And I find the concert hard to apply to a rp setting.
The CAN be done well, but often are not. There are very few things that one can do in a love triangle to make it either believable, or something that hold interest. There was a YouTube video I watched forever ago from a channel called Overly Sarcastic Productions that went into it in depth. For me, they are a cliché that takes away from whatever romance could truly be happening.

I find a love triangle is most aptly utilized when it is not bound by common morality. Not that it is simple to accomplish.

I think with romance in general the problem is that we are taught to view them from a deeply misogynistic lens. As it basically reduces women to passive participants in any relationship their in.

To put it another way it’s pandering to teen girls insecurities. No someone will love you someday and you won’t have to do anything but exist.

And like sure as a child who is insecure that’s nice to hear, but it also sets up super unrealistic expectations about what a relationship actually is. Because it leaves out the actual work and compatibility parts (ie the interesting bits to write for anyone over the age of thirteen).

Because yeah real life isn’t just “oh a person I find attractive is just gonna fall from the sky and want to date me without me having to do anything at all but exist with the correct genitals -slash-physical appearance.”

And it’s also just boring to read about as a fantasy unless your deeply insecure. Because it’s like “things happen at character A and they just kind of passively accept them as their due.”

Which is why in romance it’s always best to have a reason for your characters to interact that isn’t just physical attraction. Cuz even if that might be the thing that initially gets someone’s attention unless there is an actual plot OR the other person does things it becomes very exploitative. Cuz it’s just “I like looking at this person.” But I mean you can like looking at a pretty painting, you can’t exactly write an entire story about just that.

Well I mean maybe you can but it would be an incredibly difficult feet and take talent that I’m sorry most roleplayers just don’t have.

If I see a romance where it very much is “people like this character because their pretty OR because the plot says so.” I tend to nope out.

The Chosen One

I don't mind it in other media, but I can't stand it in roleplays, particularly since I only do group roleplay. One chap is destined to save the world? What, the prophecy doesn't have the budget for a group of heroes? Why can't it be seven heroes and their papaya loving monkey? It just puts one character on a pedestal for no reason.

"Well this plot is centered around the not important Chosen One whos totally there as an NPC-" well good golly gee then more reason for me to bail out before I see role slots with "the mentor" and "the loyal knights" tagged on with a warning about dark topic and gore. Just say the Chosen One run away or something and not displayed prominently on the interest check like the MC of a YA novel. (I swear this isn't bashing any specific roleplay on RPN different site)

Nothing makes me dip faster than seeing that there's an argument or problematic player in the OOC thread, lmao.

The CAN be done well, but often are not. There are very few things that one can do in a love triangle to make it either believable, or something that hold interest. There was a YouTube video I watched forever ago from a channel called Overly Sarcastic Productions that went into it in depth. For me, they are a cliché that takes away from whatever romance could truly be happening.

I think in general romance would be improved if people could learn to write rejection well. Like you don’t have to always end up with someone just because your attracted to them. For that matter the rejection doesn’t have to be mean spirited or friendship ruining.

It’s one of the more toxic things we digest growing up, if the person you like doesn’t like you back then they are dead to you forever. Or at least until you prove your worth by finding someone else to date you.

It’s more of a thing for women (us getting to be real valid people because a guy wants to bang us) but it is a weird message throughout.

I would love to do a take on a love triangle where the take away is that the girl doesn’t need a man to validate her and the unrequited feelings are dealt with in a mature way.

Let’s see some more friendships that can weather awkward moments.

I had a couple of people approach me to do roleplays where my character would be a parent and theirs a child in a slice of life setting. No. Nope. Absolutely not. I don't even like children in my roleplays as anything other than maybe a side characters if even that. No thanks.

I had a couple of people approach me to do roleplays where my character would be a parent and theirs a child in a slice of life setting. No. Nope. Absolutely not. I don't even like children in my roleplays as anything other than maybe a side characters if even that. No thanks.

That’s interesting. I can’t pay people to do slice of life OR familial roleplays. So I wonder where the disconnect is?

Do you mention that you don’t do kids? Or slice of life? (Lol wondering if I need to start to do reverse psychology of something).

Like no I don’t want you to do a found family plot with me.

I don't like plot points being added for the sake of angst. Don't get me wrong, I love me some angst and would consider any roleplay a bit boring without it, but I'm talking about manufactured angst because the other player wants to and not because it makes sense within the plot. Like they get bored of anything that's not angsty. It gets extremely tiring. I'm hella into roleplay realism even in fantasy-ish settings. Life isn't always peaches and cream, but life isn't just one big tragedy after another either. You gotta have a balance to keep my interest.

That’s interesting. I can’t pay people to do slice of life OR familial roleplays. So I wonder where the disconnect is?

Do you mention that you don’t do kids? Or slice of life? (Lol wondering if I need to start to do reverse psychology of something).

Like no I don’t want you to do a found family plot with me.
I definitely don't mind doing slice of life but I draw the line at family roleplays where it's basically my character parenting someone's child character in some everyday type of situation.

Yes. I'm always up front and honest with any potential partner. I do roleplay slice of life, I just don't roleplay things like what I mentioned. I mean I get other people do, awesome to them, I just don't want to. If I wanted that experience, I would have a baby of my own.

I definitely don't mind doing slice of life but I draw the line at family roleplays where it's basically my character parenting someone's child character in some everyday type of situation.

Yes. I'm always up front and honest with any potential partner. I do roleplay slice of life, I just don't roleplay things like what I mentioned. I mean I get other people do, awesome to them, I just don't want to. If I wanted that experience, I would have a baby of my own.

It's an odd request if you specifically say you don't do it. I think the closest I've ever come is when people want to weirdly infantilize their female characters. Like when they literally can't do anything for themselves and have to wait around for a love interest to do everything. Like it's worse then kids in a lot of ways cuz at least kids do things. These characters are just pretty lamps that sit around waiting for someone to pick them up.

I guess if there's anything it's when canon characters are part of a main pairing in a 1x1. No hate on those who do because I have no doubt for those who like it always have a lot of fun and that's great, but for me personally, when I want to write in a fandom setting, I prefer to have OCs as the main focus. Canons can exist in the background/as side characters but I just don't understand the appeal myself and it immediately turns me off, which is a shame because I wish I could get into that kind of thing because I feel like I'm missing out on something amazing but I just can't bring myself to do it. 😔

I guess if there's anything it's when canon characters are part of a main pairing in a 1x1. No hate on those who do because I have no doubt for those who like it always have a lot of fun and that's great, but for me personally, when I want to write in a fandom setting, I prefer to have OCs as the main focus. Canons can exist in the background/as side characters but I just don't understand the appeal myself and it immediately turns me off, which is a shame because I wish I could get into that kind of thing because I feel like I'm missing out on something amazing but I just can't bring myself to do it. 😔
Personally when I do fandom RP's I don't even like canons to appear as side characters unless it's a very minor character. When I do fandom RP's it's mostly because I want to explore the dynamics of the world.

specifically about marvel roleplays, i despise “this avenger basically adopts my character,” especially when they’re a grown ass adult. this girl was like “my character’s 27 😁 also can tony sort of adopt her in a way”? girl… what are you saying to me rn? literally pushing 30, wdym Adopted. (quick edit for clarification: she did not say that tony adopted her character before, like as a kid or something, which i don’t even think he would anyway. she said she wanted tony to take on a fatherly role in her 27 year old character’s life, and the context in which he did this made no sense to me. not even just like a mentor, she just said Adopt and Fatherly Role)
but the reason i really hate it is because it just doesn’t make sense most of the time. “oh but tony is a father figure to peter,” or “what about clint and whatever her name is,” blah blah blah, as if those particular instances weren’t after integral points in their character development, and also under unique circumstances. and anyway, the avengers are some busy ass people with pretty fucked up lives, are they really going to spend their time looking after your character, especially at their grown age. i don’t mind small moments of like, looking out for each other, because that’s just what friends and teammates do, but c’mon now.

also… i abhor ocs who are deliberately disobedient and hard to work with, yet are somehow apart of the avengers? as if personality and ability to work in a team aren’t Crucial in the scouting process, as if tony was not literally going to be disqualified because of his arrogant and self centered behaviour. even if it’s After the avengers become basically independent, do you actually think they’d force your edgy character to work with them if she didn’t want to? in certain cases, maybe that could work, but most of the time they don’t write it in a way that makes sense — even if it was something as simple as having a unique skillset that is irreplaceable, THAT could work! but when your oc is some regular ass formerly brainwashed assassin, what are they really keeping her around for? they got hella assassins. i could understand if it’s something that’s going to be developed within the roleplay, character development is always nice, but a lot of the time, admins fully intend to keep their character the same way 😐 maybe with some “mean to everyone but their love interest” trope sprinkled in, BOOOOO. i’m booing you, i’m throwing tomatoes & spoiled cabbage & bowling balls.

maybe this is a bit… passionate. roleplay isn’t that deep, i get it, whatever, but bad marvel ocs are my worst enemy. you know what really gets me? a lot of these lame, boring, TIRED tropes could actually be good if people would just like… be a little bit creative with it.

Last edited:
specifically about marvel roleplays, i despise “this avenger basically adopts my character,” especially when they’re a grown ass adult. this girl was like “my character’s 27 😁 also can tony sort of adopt her in a way”? girl… what are you saying to me rn? literally pushing 30, wdym Adopted. (quick edit for clarification: she did not say that tony adopted her character before, like as a kid or something, which i don’t even think he would anyway. she said she wanted tony to take on a fatherly role in her 27 year old character’s life, and the context in which he did this made no sense to me. not even just like a mentor, she just said Adopt and Fatherly Role)
but the reason i really hate it is because it just doesn’t make sense most of the time. “oh but tony is a father figure to peter,” or “what about clint and whatever her name is,” blah blah blah, as if those particular instances weren’t after integral points in their character development, and also under unique circumstances. and anyway, the avengers are some busy ass people with pretty fucked up lives, are they really going to spend their time looking after your character, especially at their grown age. i don’t mind small moments of like, looking out for each other, because that’s just what friends and teammates do, but c’mon now.

also… i abhor ocs who are deliberately disobedient and hard to work with, yet are somehow apart of the avengers? as if personality and ability to work in a team aren’t Crucial in the scouting process, as if tony was not literally going to be disqualified because of his arrogant and self centered behaviour. even if it’s After the avengers become basically independent, do you actually think they’d force your edgy character to work with them if she didn’t want to? in certain cases, maybe that could work, but most of the time they don’t write it in a way that makes sense — even if it was something as simple as having a unique skillset that is irreplaceable, THAT could work! but when your oc is some regular ass formerly brainwashed assassin, what are they really keeping her around for? they got hella assassins. i could understand if it’s something that’s going to be developed within the roleplay, character development is always nice, but a lot of the time, admins fully intend to keep their character the same way 😐 maybe with some “mean to everyone but their love interest” trope sprinkled in, BOOOOO. i’m booing you, i’m throwing tomatoes & spoiled cabbage & bowling balls.

maybe this is a bit… passionate. roleplay isn’t that deep, i get it, whatever, but bad marvel ocs are my worst enemy. you know what really gets me? a lot of these lame, boring, TIRED tropes could actually be good if people would just like… be a little bit creative with it.
I feel you. Unfortunately, had that happen in a zombie apocalypse though not to me I just witnessed the fail and wondered how this character isn’t dead and it boggles the mind that no one called the player out. Literally the person would be their character in danger just for excuse to kiss her love interest

I mean I guess it can be a RP topic but I've had my fill of hearing about ghosting when I am in discussions about roleplays. Like before we even settle on a plot, I'm made to hear all about past partners ghosting this and ghosting that which has nothing to do with me. First impressions are everything so if right off the bat you have a three paragraph message about ghosting and two sentences of something even remotely related to roleplay, I'm out.

I mean I guess it can be a RP topic but I've had my fill of hearing about ghosting when I am in discussions about roleplays. Like before we even settle on a plot, I'm made to hear all about past partners ghosting this and ghosting that which has nothing to do with me. First impressions are everything so if right off the bat you have a three paragraph message about ghosting and two sentences of something even remotely related to roleplay, I'm out.
I dealt with someone like this on another website. I repeatedly asked him to not keep bringing it up, but every message he sent would involve the same "woe is me" about being unfairly blocked, ghosted, etc. I finally let him go when I sent him a character sheet and he asked me to remove my OC's ability so he could take it for himself. Like. . No? People are so weird.

Last edited:
I dealt with someone like this on another website. I repeatedly asked him to not keep bringing it up, but every message he sent would involve the same "woe is me" about being unfairly blocked, ghosted, etc. I finally let him go when I sent him a character sheet and he asked me to remove my OC's ability so he could take it for himself. Like. . No? People are so weird.
Sounds like a complete headache and I agree with you completely!

Angel x Demon. Really and honestly not my cup of tea.
I get the appeal for some, but yea, not really something I'm into either. Supernatural stuff, with the exception of superpowers or vampires, is kind of something I'm not really into in RP anyway, though.

I get the appeal for some, but yea, not really something I'm into either. Supernatural stuff, with the exception of superpowers or vampires, is kind of something I'm not really into in RP anyway, though.
I have this funny feeling of deja Vu lol. Right. I just can't even with it.

This is less of a roleplay topic, and more of a thing on rpn itself, but if your interest check/cs/post uses text small enough where it's difficult for me to read, or if you use coding that is hard to navigate, or impossible to navigate on my crappy phone (unless an uncoded version is included!), I lose interest. If I have to work to make your messages readable, it isn't worth it for me.
I understand this is partially just a personal problem, so please don't take offence if your posts fall under this!

I also cannot deal with real face claims. I can't immerse myself in a roleplay with photos of real people. That makes me leave faster than anything else.

This is less of a roleplay topic, and more of a thing on rpn itself, but if your interest check/cs/post uses text small enough where it's difficult for me to read, or if you use coding that is hard to navigate, or impossible to navigate on my crappy phone (unless an uncoded version is included!), I lose interest. If I have to work to make your messages readable, it isn't worth it for me.
I understand this is partially just a personal problem, so please don't take offence if your posts fall under this!

I also cannot deal with real face claims. I can't immerse myself in a roleplay with photos of real people. That makes me leave faster than anything else.
Yep, I'm the same way about the small text and codes. Give me plain text, please.

If your romance story starts with kidnapping and breaking your love interest then I'm out. If your love story starts with you disrespecting your love interest's preferences or bodily autonomy for selfish reasons then I'm out. If your interest check goes out of it's way to be rude to cishet men I'm out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back