Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
"i know you said you Only double when it comes to fandoms, but can you just play my love interest for me? i don't have time for doubling šŸ¤Ŗ
Why even respond to an interest check that specifically asks for doubling if you don't want to double? In that case, make your own interest check where you don't have to double, don't bother me who specifically said they are looking to double.

Why even respond to an interest check that specifically asks for doubling if you don't want to double? In that case, make your own interest check where you don't have to double, don't bother me who specifically said they are looking to double.
If they have no time for doubling, they have no time for making interest checks šŸ˜…

Rathian Diablos Rathian Diablos in fairness I think itā€™s less about doubling and more about being willing to share the spotlight.

A lot of what I personally find frustrating about doubling is it assumes your writing with yourself.

So say you really like to play OCs against Canons. Your assuming that your partner must also be someone who wants to play OCs against Canons. Rather then accepting that there are people who like to play Canons against OCs.

I donā€™t know it always makes me feel like Iā€™m being asked to play the less desirable character in the posters mind. When Iā€™m like ā€œnah Iā€™m totally chill playing Canon to OC (or ya know whatever the division actually is).ā€

I will say that contacting someone asking to play their role in a RP is a little weird. I say all the time ā€œthis is the plot and this is the character I want to play.ā€ And I would be mad as hell if someone was like ā€œlove the plot but can I play the character you want to play?ā€

No. No you canā€™t. I called dibs and itā€™s my idea so bye.

Rathian Diablos Rathian Diablos in fairness I think itā€™s less about doubling and more about being willing to share the spotlight.

A lot of what I personally find frustrating about doubling is it assumes your writing with yourself.

So say you really like to play OCs against Canons. Your assuming that your partner must also be someone who wants to play OCs against Canons. Rather then accepting that there are people who like to play Canons against OCs.

I donā€™t know it always makes me feel like Iā€™m being asked to play the less desirable character in the posters mind. When Iā€™m like ā€œnah Iā€™m totally chill playing Canon to OC (or ya know whatever the division actually is).ā€

I will say that contacting someone asking to play their role in a RP is a little weird. I say all the time ā€œthis is the plot and this is the character I want to play.ā€ And I would be mad as hell if someone was like ā€œlove the plot but can I play the character you want to play?ā€

No. No you canā€™t. I called dibs and itā€™s my idea so bye.
Are we still talking about what we were talking about before or what I just said, I'm kinda confused? I mean yes doubling is apart of it but I was speaking more to people that ask you for something they aren't willing to provide or can't do themselves like asking you to take an interest inn their OC but then tell you, they don't have the capacity to learn about someone else's OC, asking you to play a canon character but then telling you that they will not do the same because they don't feel that they can do them justice, asking you for a post length but they can't write that much themselves, asking for perfect grammar when they don't even have perfect grammar, telling you that they get busy for long periods but then tell you that if you don't reply in like a week that they'll consider the RP dropped, telling you not just to leave but that they have the right to leave at anytime for any reason.

Rathian Diablos Rathian Diablos I think what I was trying to say is that you donā€™t have to mirror your partner as long as both people are making an effort to get along OOC.

So like demanding your partner spend all their time complementing you and catering to your schedule is spoiled brat behavior.

But saying something like ā€œHey I like Oc x Canon but I canā€™t write canons.ā€ Thatā€™s not being a spoiled brat thatā€™s just acknowledging your weakness as a writer. It can be hard to write canons cuz everyone had their own unique process. So I would rather someone be honest about it then try to half ass something cuz they donā€™t want to appear demanding.

That said the schedule thing is bullshit. If I have to check in on a schedule like itā€™s a job then your ass better do the same.

Rathian Diablos Rathian Diablos I think what I was trying to say is that you donā€™t have to mirror your partner as long as both people are making an effort to get along OOC.

So like demanding your partner spend all their time complementing you and catering to your schedule is spoiled brat behavior.

But saying something like ā€œHey I like Oc x Canon but I canā€™t write canons.ā€ Thatā€™s not being a spoiled brat thatā€™s just acknowledging your weakness as a writer. It can be hard to write canons cuz everyone had their own unique process. So I would rather someone be honest about it then try to half ass something cuz they donā€™t want to appear demanding.

That said the schedule thing is bullshit. If I have to check in on a schedule like itā€™s a job then your ass better do the same.
Okay so I'm not sure I explained the canons thing well I used the wrong words for that one what I mean is someone who can, but just won't, like you can tell by the tone of the thread who it is. Now everyone may not feel the same as me, but I would never ask my partner for anything that I am not willing to do myself, now I may offer to do some things for you that you don't have to do for me, but I am not about to ask you for anything that I am not willing to do for you which means I am not going to ask you to play anything for me that I will would not be willing to play for you, I may offer to play something for you that you either can't or won't as in if we are playing a fandom RP and there is a character you don't like and don't want to play I will play that character so you don't have to, that is fine if I offer, but personally now this is just me now, other people may feel differently but don't ask me for something you aren't willing to do as well, if I offer to do something extra and you want to accept it then cool but don't hold me fo standards you aren't willing to uphold yourself. Don't message me about my interest check and tell me you can't or won't do something on it because if it was optional I would have said so.

When rpers use random Japanese words in their posts when itā€™s all written in English.

When rpers use random Japanese words in their posts when itā€™s all written in English.
i mean, if their character is speaking japanese in an otherwise english speaking settingā€¦ duh šŸ˜­ also using words in normal japanese and providing romaji + english translations is pretty sensible, but idk, thatā€™s just my thoughts.

Someone did this once. I think they were going for trying to have a whole conversation in Japanese but got everything mixed up or used Google translate.

This but with any language. I don't mean people speaking entire sentences in that language because their character that speaks that language, but people mixing 2+ languages together in a single sentence where it's completely unwarranted. For example, replacing pronouns in one language with another. I can get someone maybe using a word from their native language instead of the language they're trying to speak because they don't have an equivalent for it or don't know the word, but when it's something like, "Ich have a dog," I inwardly die inside. Who does that? There's no way you're speaking a language if you don't AT LEAST know the pronouns in it. It also feels like ridiculing/mocking non-English speakers or those who aren't fluent in English.

This but with any language. I don't mean people speaking entire sentences in that language because their character that speaks that language, but people mixing 2+ languages together in a single sentence where it's completely unwarranted. For example, replacing pronouns in one language with another. I can get someone maybe using a word from their native language instead of the language they're trying to speak because they don't have an equivalent for it or don't know the word, but when it's something like, "Ich have a dog," I inwardly die inside. Who does that? There's no way you're speaking a language if you don't AT LEAST know the pronouns in it. It also feels like ridiculing/mocking non-English speakers or those who aren't fluent in English.
LOL ... I do this. Not the pronoun thing. I mix in an occasional word. But in my case I am a real linguist - former linguist. I have a few languages under my belt. And if the meaning of the word(s) matter(s) I add that meaning in parenthesis.

I once had a character start out a conversation in a dozen languages, using test phrases. But he was trying to see if he was understood. Then I have the occasional expletives and curses in foreign languages.

Mitheral Mitheral I think they were talking more about people using Google translate. Half my family is non-native English speakers. And yeah they fade in and out (usually when asking a more fluent family member for a word in English).

But itā€™s usually pretty clear from context what theyā€™re trying to say. If only because they will literally say ā€œwhatā€™s the wordā€ or ā€œhow do you say?ā€

So even if you donā€™t know the language you can typically finish the sentence anyway.

Like ā€œoh you mean chick. Thatā€™s what you call a baby chicken.ā€

*lol a literal conversation I had with my stepmom cuz neither her or my dad knew the word for a baby chicken. But little seven year old Nerdy was a massive animal geek. So I got to feel real smart by teaching them a new word.*

Mitheral Mitheral I think they were talking more about people using Google translate. Half my family is non-native English speakers. And yeah they fade in and out (usually when asking a more fluent family member for a word in English).

But itā€™s usually pretty clear from context what theyā€™re trying to say. If only because they will literally say ā€œwhatā€™s the wordā€ or ā€œhow do you say?ā€

So even if you donā€™t know the language you can typically finish the sentence anyway.

Like ā€œoh you mean chick. Thatā€™s what you call a baby chicken.ā€

*lol a literal conversation I had with my stepmom cuz neither her or my dad knew the word for a baby chicken. But little seven year old Nerdy was a massive animal geek. So I got to feel real smart by teaching them a new word.*
Yeah. I don't mean people replacing words for logical reasons. My mom wasn't a native English speaker either and she sometimes substituted words from her own language if she didn't know the word.

But it makes no sense if a character knows some fairly advanced vocabulary, yet continues to make mistakes like still not knowing the pronouns for the language. I guess what I mean is that the character is inconsistent in their ability to speak a language because their writer wants to make a big deal of the character speaking other languages. Are they fluent or are they not?? They can be in the middle, but you can't have both.

In general, I think this is just one of those cases where sometimes people are very bad at portraying things they have never experienced.

Yeah. I don't mean people replacing words for logical reasons. My mom wasn't a native English speaker either and she sometimes substituted words from her own language if she didn't know the word.

But it makes no sense if a character knows some fairly advanced vocabulary, yet continues to make mistakes like still not knowing the pronouns for the language. I guess what I mean is that the character is inconsistent in their ability to speak a language because their writer wants to make a big deal of the character speaking other languages. Are they fluent or are they not?? They can be in the middle, but you can't have both.

In general, I think this is just one of those cases where sometimes people are very bad at portraying things they have never experienced.
My bad, I was referring Insp GG's post. His was pretty vague.

You I understood. If you read my post, you'll see that I was talking about doing something very different.

My bad, I was referring Insp GG's post. His was pretty vague.

You I understood. If you read my post, you'll see that I was talking about doing something very different.
Oh I see. Sorry! I saw the quote of my post so I was confused.

When people get mad, throw a tantrum, can't take no for answer because they didn't read my request thread and wanted to do stuff I don't have listed. Not my fault you didn't read it thoroughly. Sounds like a personal problem to me.

Burnout. I hate burnout. Especially when I have a lot of scenarios in my mind but can't spit it out for whatever reasons.

To RPNationlover1 RPNationlover1 , this is why I haven't posted in our RP for a good while. It's not even your fault to begin with. Apologies. šŸ˜”

Last edited:
Burnout is real. I feel like lately my rp replies are one word per day because I have no energy to write any more.

Thinking about a roleplayer who was complaining about how they get ghosted frequently. They had a plot I was super invested in. Reached out on their thread and sent them a DM. That was a week ago. And here I am with no response. Just made me go hmm šŸ¤”

This week flew by so fast I didn't even have the time to think to write. And I know I won't be doing any writing over the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back