Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to doubling I have a tough time doing both in the same post. The post just starts to get too long ... pages ...

My point is this is not a post length issue. You said it yourself the person is already writing multiple paragraphs.

The problem they are only doing that for one character. So that means they only want to play that one character.

Which is why I said always start off by asking “hey can I just play the love interest?”

If they say yes. Then you know they only really want to play one character.

If they say no or if they offer up two characters on their own then you know they will give equal attention to both characters.

As the core issue is with people offering to double when they only want to write one character. Not people not making a specific post length.
See this is what I mean by adding a post length as in for example 2 to 3 paragraph per character minimum. I believe this weeds out those kinds of people out because if they have no intention of actually doubling then they wouldn't put themselves through the post-length requirement for both characters if all they want to do is play the one.

See this is what I mean by adding a post length as in for example 2 to 3 paragraph per character minimum. I believe this weedthose kinds of people out because of they have no intention of actually doubling then they wouldn't put themselves through the post-length requirement for both characters if all they want to do is play the one.

But you don’t have to do a post length if you just ask them “yo do you want to play two characters?”

Like in this kinda of situation your best bet is to be direct rather then beat around the bush.

I have been just straight up asking people for years and not a one of them has been offended.

Meanwhile your way of doing things is gonna get you a lot of half assed padding as the person tries to hit a word limit with a character they don’t give a shit about.

Cuz again it isn’t addressing the issue directly. It’s just making people pad their posts more

But you don’t have to do a post length if you just ask them “yo do you want to play two characters?”

Like in this kinda of situation your best bet is to be direct rather then beat around the bush.

I have been just straight up asking people for years and not a one of them has been offended.

Meanwhile your way of doing things is gonna get you a lot of half assed padding as the person tries to hit a word limit with a character they don’t give a shit about.

Cuz again it isn’t addressing the issue directly. It’s just making people pad their posts more
Okay so let you ask you a question, how exactly is making an interest check that specifically calls for doubling beating around the bush? Is making an interest check where I am specifically asking for a partner that wants to double not within itself asking someone rather or not they want to play two characters? How is it not being direct?

Also as I said before this doesn't happen a lot so how would me adding a post length suddenly increase the amount of which this happens? Because I'm not really understanding what you mean?

People that half-ass it when doubling. So let me get this straight I can write about 2 to 3 paragraphs for each character, my character and the one you wanted me to play against yours, yet somehow some kind of way you consistently give me a sentence or two for the character you're supposed to be playing against mine. Do you know how disrespectful that is and how irritating to consistently watch you post multiple paragraphs for your end but I'm lucky if I can get 3 lines out of you for mine?

I'm not typically a person who puts a lot of stock in post length, because length doesn't always mean quality or substance, but I'm seriously thinking about putting post lengths back on my interest checks.
I would put in a disclaimer too. If there's going to be doubling there must be equal participation from all characters otherwise it's a no go. This is why I hate doubling. I hated it the few times I did it. This is the reason I don't do it anymore.

Okay so let you ask you a question, how exactly is making an interest check that specifically calls for doubling beating around the bush? Is making an interest check where I am specifically asking for a partner that wants to double not within itself asking someone rather or not they want to play two characters? How is it not being direct?

Also as I said before this doesn't happen a lot so how would me adding a post length suddenly increase the amount of which this happens? Because I'm not really understanding what you mean?

Okay I see where the misunderstanding came in. Just to make sure I got it correct ;;

You are talking about someone who answers your interest check to play two characters.

But they only focus on one character and ignore the other?

Ex.

You say something to the effect of “Hey I want to do two pairings. I want to play Character A and Character C. You can make Character B and Character D.”

But when you start writing instead of your partner writing for Character B and Character D they are only writing for Character B.

Okay, I see where the misunderstanding came in. Just to make sure I got it correct ;

You are talking about someone who answers your interest check to play two characters.

But they only focus on one character and ignore the other?

Ex.

You say something to the effect of “Hey I want to do two pairings. I want to play Character A and Character C. You can make Character B and Character D.”
Yes, that is what I meant, I am sorry if there was any confusion on that.

Yes, that is what I meant, I am sorry if there was any confusion on that.

No worries. I still think just focusing on the character issue over the post length is your best bet.

As people can write more words without actually saying anything of substance or being any more invested in the character.

It’s why I don’t bother with post lengths in general. If someone isn’t feeling a character making them write more doesn’t make them more into the character. It just means you get stuck reading a whole lot of padding.

I would instead look at how they act in the planning stage. Do they talk more about one character then the other? Do they seem more excited about one pairing?

Cuz chances are they have been relying on you to do a lot of the heavy lifting for the pairing they don’t care about.

So just take a step back and let them tell you about their characters and the things their looking forward to in the roleplay.

No worries. I still think just focusing on the character issue over the post length is your best bet.

As people can write more words without actually saying anything of substance or being any more invested in the character.

It’s why I don’t bother with post lengths in general. If someone isn’t feeling a character making them write more doesn’t make them more into the character. It just means you get stuck reading a whole lot of padding.

I would instead look at how they act in the planning stage. Do they talk more about one character then the other? Do they seem more excited about one pairing?

Cuz chances are they have been relying on you to do a lot of the heavy lifting for the pairing they don’t care about.

So just take a step back and let them tell you about their characters and the things their looking forward to in the roleplay.
Well if I did do the post length it would probably just be asking for a paragraph which I really don't think is a lot to ask for and I'm not sure how much padding you can do for a paragraph. I just had a partner who would consistently a literal sentence each and every time no matter how much a wrote for them to respond to like if they did like 2 or more paragraphs for themselves and one for me that would be different to me personally, but a literal sentence, every single time, without fail? Then what really irritated me was when they messaged me because I forgot to respond to a joke they made in their last post when literally in that same post they completely ignored a whole segment of my character very openly messing with the other character's hands and gave me a literal sentence that didn't even answer all the questions my character had asked.

Truthfully for the most part I do not care about post length, I just care about effort and getting a proper response to what I have written, I care far more about quality, substance, and fun than I do about length, but sometimes I feel like people take advantage of that like because I said I don't care about post length they can get away with putting any amount into the post even though logically speaking anyone with common sense should know this is disrespectful as hell.

Well if I did do the post length it would probably just be asking for a paragraph which I really don't think is a lot to ask for and I'm not sure how much padding you can do for a paragraph. I just had a partner who would consistently a literal sentence each and every time no matter how much a wrote for them to respond to like if they did like 2 or more paragraphs for themselves and one for me that would be different to me personally, but a literal sentence, every single time, without fail? Then what really irritated me was when they messaged me because I forgot to respond to a joke they made in their last post when literally in that same post they completely ignored a whole segment of my character very openly messing with the other character's hands and gave me a literal sentence that didn't even answer all the questions my character had asked.

Truthfully for the most part I do not care about post length, I just care about effort and getting a proper response to what I have written, I care far more about quality, substance, and fun than I do about length, but sometimes I feel like people take advantage of that like because I said I don't care about post length they can get away with putting any amount into the post even though logically speaking anyone with common sense should know this is disrespectful as hell.
This better have ended with you dropping this person as a partner, I swear to God it better have. I'm not even a confrontational person like that, and this would be grounds for a good hard cursing, because essentially what they said was fuck you as far as I am concerned, this is the type of partner that clearly only cares about their own fun and essentially you are a slave solely meant to amuse them. I have had partners like this before where we agree on something, they don't follow through, and then when I say I want to leave because I am not having fun, they beg me to stay because they are having fun so essentially I should stay because you're having fun while I am miserable.

I never understood these kinds of people, a good way for an RP to tank and fast is mistreating your partner, when your partner is not having fun and just soldiering through its shows, pretty soon you're not about to be having fun either, either they're about to quit or the RP is about to be trash.

Maybe people can't do that. You can say that you will post on Thursdays or Fridays but God forbid if something happens that's out of your control. And that something keeps you away for weeks. Patience and understanding goes a long way.
I get it thats why i say im free most of the time unless working or morning to evenings

Okay let me try to put it like this ::

Let’s say you go ahead with the post length requirement.

Your partner writes four paragraphs for Character 1 and one paragraph for Character 2.

It’s still the same problem. They very clearly care more about playing Character 1 then Character 2.

And it’s not like they can’t literally just give a paragraph essentially going “Character 2 listened to what Character B was saying.”

Then you would be in the same position. They are technically giving you what you asked for but it’s still very much a case of them putting more effort into one pairing then the other.

Which is what they’re already doing without the post length. Because they aren’t taking advantage of your lack of post requirement they are taking advantage of the fact that you want two pairings.

Because they feel like that gives them the chance to write the pairing they really want without having to bother with the other pairing. It’s a problem of them only wanting to focus on their own character and not yours.

Which is something that you can solve by making them focus on two characters or just dropping them if they only focus on one.

Okay let me try to put it like this ::

Let’s say you go ahead with the post length requirement.

Your partner writes four paragraphs for Character 1 and one paragraph for Character 2.

It’s still the same problem. They very clearly care more about playing Character 1 then Character 2.

And it’s not like they can’t literally just give a paragraph essentially going “Character 2 listened to what Character B was saying.”

Then you would be in the same position. They are technically giving you what you asked for but it’s still very much a case of them putting more effort into one pairing then the other.

Which is what they’re already doing without the post length. Because they aren’t taking advantage of your lack of post requirement they are taking advantage of the fact that you want two pairings.

Because they feel like that gives them the chance to write the pairing they really want without having to bother with the other pairing. It’s a problem of them only wanting to focus on their own character and not yours.

Which is something that you can solve by making them focus on two characters or just dropping them if they only focus on one.
Personally, I'm just upfront my post length depends on what I am given to work with and my inspiration if I don't have much to work with, I won't have much to say and if I'm not having fun, I won't have any inspiration, so if you're about to play games with me, you're only going to play yourself in the end.

I mean I don't know who thinks doing this is smart on any level, I mean are they under the impression that once you start doing, they have you trapped or something, like to can't drop them for not showing through on the agreement? This reminds me of those Reddit stories where someone will be about to get married and they'll start showing their whole ass like the wedding can't be called off.

I don't have the snappy title for this but someone who plays a canon character but doesn't act like the character.

i'm not saying you have to copy everything they said on the tv (that would be pointless and boring as you might as well just read the script!) but if you're playing a canon character, make it realistic! try and act and speak in the way they would otherwise you might as well make an OC character!

It's why the only fandom I will play is criminal minds because I know the show well so I am confident that I can portray them accurately. I can't for other fandoms!

Last edited:
idk if i've said this before, but when people expect me to do everything on my own. like, for example, if i'm doubling up with someone and i'm talking about ideas for my side, and then all of the sudden they're saying i'm being self centered or whatever, when they weren't even presenting ideas to begin with. am i hogging attention or do you just not have any ideas? i feel like it's more often the latter, cause it's always people who didn't even have any suggestions to begin with, and are evidently expecting me to plot their story for them.

idk if i've said this before, but when people expect me to do everything on my own. like, for example, if i'm doubling up with someone and i'm talking about ideas for my side, and then all of the sudden they're saying i'm being self centered or whatever, when they weren't even presenting ideas to begin with. am i hogging attention or do you just not have any ideas? i feel like it's more often the latter, cause it's always people who didn't even have any suggestions to begin with, and are evidently expecting me to plot their story for them.
Yeah, I think in that case they just need to learn how to speak up instead of expecting you to come up with ideas for their side on their behalf. I don't think having ideas for your side is attention hogging.

I have dealt with people who, whenever I presented an idea for my side, would immediately try to twist it to make it all about their character. Like, literally, I have had several partners that if I planned anything for one of my OCs, they immediately would somehow try to shoehorn their character into the spotlight and make them center stage. Now that is being an attention hog. Being unable to have plot points without your character being the main character is attention hog. And, quite frankly, just bad for roleplay.

Otherwise, it is a collaboration so the other person should be willing to speak up about their own ideas and what they want to do.

Funnily enough, I think almost every partner I have had that attempted to make every plot point I planned for my OC about their own accused me of being an attention hog for telling them to let my OC have their moment lol. Go figure.

Yeah, I think in that case they just need to learn how to speak up instead of expecting you to come up with ideas for their side on their behalf. I don't think having ideas for your side is attention hogging.
agreed. and even if they just asked, i could make an effort to give some concepts for them to build off of, but i'm not just going to assume that you have nothing from the get go. often times, i do try to introduce settings where their characters could have interaction as well, such as a party or something, but that's not always gonna happen.
I have dealt with people who, whenever I presented an idea for my side, would immediately try to twist it to make it all about their character. Like, literally, I have had several partners that if I planned anything for one of my OCs, they immediately would somehow try to shoehorn their character into the spotlight and make them center stage. Now that is being an attention hog. Being unable to have plot points without your character being the main character is attention hog. And, quite frankly, just bad for roleplay.
dude, same. it's especially annoying when you're trying to explain a pivotal plot point and they just come in way off beat. a while ago i was writing with this girl, and i was explaining like... some important lore behind my character - keep in mind that we'd largely focused on her character and her love interest up until then - but after i posted like... several paragraphs worth of information, she did not say a single word in acknowledgement of that. instead, she said "i can't wait for bruce to see [her character's] night shirt 🤪" ??? literally so fucking random, it completely demotivated me to ever interact with her again.

also one time this girl i was interacting with got mad at me for not offering any ideas for her side, then tried to claim the ideas that i'd presented for mine, just because she helped me choose between them. the fuck? literally all she did was help me choose between two already existing ideas of mine, she did not add shit to it.

Omg I had this happen in the shittiest way. So it was several years ago and it was very much a situation where I’m doing a lot of the groundwork and set up. I think they offer maybe one idea but it didn’t really fit exactly the plot. (It’s been so long I can’t be more specific).

Anyway my mom goes to have a surgery and I’m like “hey can you start us off I’m gonna be super busy helping mom.”

And they just go off. Like I am being so selfish and railroading them and I haven’t taken any of their ideas.

And again they gave one idea early in the roleplay. So like if they really wanted to do that one idea they could have just left weeks ago. Instead I’m some how holding them hostage and then being unreasonable for asking them to start when my mom is in the hospital and I’m busy.

Ooh blocked them immediately and then told all my friends “avoid this person like the plague because Christ that is some Olympic level gymnastics.”

Probably said or read this somewhere. Still bears repeating considering it happens too often. The 'I read your request thread. What are you looking to roleplay?' only even though I have plenty of plots and pairings to build from. Sure, it's okay to ask that BUT have something to go with it. Pick out some plots you find interesting or if not pairings and have ideas to go with said pairings. I'm great to roleplay anything on my request thread otherwise it wouldn't be on it in the first place. Every time I get messages like that, I ask the person what they want to do as well they have nothing really to say or by chance we do get to plotting, it's like pulling teeth to get them to give me an idea which really isn't one. Just stuff I have already said.

Willfully ignorant people and people that like to play dumb, people who purposefully choose to misunderstand someone even though they know full well what they meant but what to be technical so they can argue with people.

So I'll be upfront I get irritated seeing interest checks where the poster is looking for someone to do something for them that they aren't willing to do in return. I'll be honest in saying that I feel it's selfish to want a partner to do x, y and zed for you but you aren't willing to do the same for them. You want them to play a characterr or love interest for you but you aren't willing to do so for them, you want them to take an interest in your character but can't be bothered to take an interest in theirs, you say sometimes you'll get busy for long periods of time but tell them if they don't respond to you in two weeks you'll consider the rp dropped, you tell people not to just leave but then tell them that you reserve the right to leave for any reason. I mean everyone is entitled to want their type of RP but at the same time I can't help but feel like it's selfish, that being said if you find someone who is willing to put up with that, someone who is good with that then cool I guess, I just can't imagine wanting to do an RP and asking my partner for something I am not also willing to do.

Last edited:
So I'll be upfront I get irritated seeing interest checks where the poster is looking for someone to do something for them that they aren't willing to do in return. I'll be honest in saying that I feel it's selfish to want a partner to do x, y and zed for you but you aren't willing to do the same for them. You want them to play a characterr or love interest for you but you aren't willing to do so for them, you want them to take an interest in your character but can't be bothered to take an interest in theirs, you say sometimes you'll get busy for long periods of time but tell them if they don't respond to you in two weeks you'll consider the rp dropped, you tell people not to just leave but then tell them that you reserve the right to leave for any reason. I mean everyone is entitled to want their type of RP but at the same time I can't help but feel like it's selfish, that being said if you find someone who is willing to put up with that, someone who is good with that then cool I guess, I just can't imagine wanting to do an RP and asking my partner for something I am not also willing to do.
The love interest thing sounds like the one-side doubling. Everything is just plain selfish. Sounds like a complete and total headache to avoid.

TALK TO EM!!! i am literally so tired of hypocritical writers, and it's especially annoying when people message me like "i know you said you Only double when it comes to fandoms, but can you just play my love interest for me? i don't have time for doubling 🤪" smh... someone said that to me just a few days ago. if you don't have time for doubling, don't message someone who specifically does doubles... it's asshole behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back