Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hollywood combat can get you hurt when you are learning European styles. Trust me; I know from experience. First time I tried to fight with a two hand sword I tried to block Hollywood style. Got my finger mashed as a result.

My point was I think they were talking more about scene continuity then actual fight choreography.

So like I took a drama class where they taught us how to throw a punch on stage. Obviously you aren’t going to literally hit the other person nor does the punch have to look particularly realistic (depending on the skill of the actors involved).

What does need to happen is that both characters have to ACT as if the punch lands.

And that’s the problem. If your writing a story you have to at least pretend the hits land or it disrupts the flow of the narrative.

It’s like if you went to see a play and Character A is supposed to slap Character B for plot reasons. No one thinks the actors are literally hitting each other but you want them to pretend so the story can progress,

Lurk a lot on here, but i decided to post just to say:

when your mind creates and knows just how the best, most poignant scene will go - every scenic beat you can visualize to the most minute detail
BUT THEN your brain realizes THE WRITTEN WORD EXISTS AND YOU CAN'T COMPUTE

now im yeeting out of here to write posts so i dont suffer the wrath of my rp group ahhhHHH

People who can't separate fantasy from reality, I see this in a few forms but it always comes down to people not being able to separate people from their characters and somehow think it's a basis of how that person is irl. Just because my character is an asshole doesn't mean that I am, just because my character is in love with yours doesn't mean that I have feelings for you, just because my character believes a certain thing doesn't mean that I do, your inability to separate fact from fiction is not my problem.

Actually you can fight in a desert without issue:
-on firm ground
-so long as you keep your helm off until ready to fight (loosen the gorget too)
-don't try to fight for long unless you enjoy heat exhaustion

Okay ... those are issues. Incidentally the same applies to any hot climate.

On the other hand, blocking every blow IS possible ... but it depends on what you are using - and what you are defending against.

(Yes, I used to do European style combat in full armor.)

As to calling shots ... depends on your armor and the weapon striking it. Sword against well made plate? Pretty much ignore any lighter class sword.

Edit:
My bad .... this assumes CHIVALROUS combat. Dopey me.

FYI, in the SCA we called people who refused to call blows "Rhinos". You could literally break swords over them and they would call the blows "light."
That's cool and everything but I'm more so referring to writing combat in stories not real life combat. Calling hits or dodging everything without any explanation or detail is god modding. As for the desert thing I mentioned, this guy I wrote with was in a full blown desert with sand no solid footing in complete European style metal armor fighting a full scale assault. Nevermind that my characters were nowhere near the desert but he took it upon himself to move them there without my permission to engage in that.

That's cool and everything but I'm more so referring to writing combat in stories not real life combat. Calling hits or dodging everything without any explanation or detail is god modding. As for the desert thing I mentioned, this guy I wrote with was in a full blown desert with sand no solid footing in complete European style metal armor fighting a full scale assault. Nevermind that my characters were nowhere near the desert but he took it upon himself to move them there without my permission to engage in that.
I understood both. Was just explaining reality vs fiction. You left out the part about a lack of description. Yeah ... in order to avoid being hit, you really have three choices.

Block
Parry
Give ground / back off

If he isn't acknowledging at least one of those ... but is still hitting back unimpeded ... he hasn't a clue.

As to walking on sand in heavy armor ... in hot sun ... the heat will kill him faster than the combat. In fact, he and his men would be collapsing from heatstroke before you could get to them. Hehe.

People who can't separate fantasy from reality, I see this in a few forms but it always comes down to people not being able to separate people from their characters and somehow think it's a basis of how that person is irl. Just because my character is an asshole doesn't mean that I am, just because my character is in love with yours doesn't mean that I have feelings for you, just because my character believes a certain thing doesn't mean that I do, your inability to separate fact from fiction is not my problem.
All red flags. All reasons to drop quickly.

Me too I drop them so fast their heads will spin

Two things mainly:
1. Wanting to get more rps but unsure if others will ghost or become too busy
2. Then tryin to plan out a time to respond

Two things mainly:
1. Wanting to get more rps but unsure if others will ghost or become too busy
2. Then tryin to plan out a time to respond
Wait, I could be wrong but, you're peeved if people get busy?

Folks who can’t commit to an RP, shouldn’t join one. Imagine a table top rpg like AD&D when 1 or 2 players of what is supposed to be a balanced group never shows up. Can you imagine a dungeon crawl with no healer? One tank instead of two?

And trying to keep interest in an RP when posts are sporadic…. Better to just find a better writing partner.

If real life comes first, why do I feel like a failure for taking so much time to try to get the energy to RP?

If real life comes first, why do I feel like a failure for taking so much time to try to get the energy to RP?
You're not a failure. You just got stuff going which is understandable. By the time you do settle down, you probably still feel drained.

Unless you pick a day of the week to rp on and stick with it
Maybe people can't do that. You can say that you will post on Thursdays or Fridays but God forbid if something happens that's out of your control. And that something keeps you away for weeks. Patience and understanding goes a long way.

People who steal characters, like I'm flattered that you like my character so much but don't steal from me please. Like I've been in situations where I will plan out an RP with someone, then we get to talking about our characters and they ghost me, only to find out that they really didn't want to RP with me just wanted to see if I had a character they'd like to yoink.

Ugh 😫
We just had this conversation a few posts ago but it really grinds my gears. My request thread has everything up anyone needs to know about me. How much I write. Samples to see how much I write. Plots and all of that good stuff. When I am contacted I am assuming the contactee is down for that otherwise why contact me in the first place eh? I warn them about my starters being long before I get to typing them up. They're okay with it. Present them with the starter only for them to try to make me feel guilty for how I write.

"Oh, you write a lot. You're so advanced with your words. I can't compete with you. I don't think I can keep up. I'm not literate enough."

First of all who ever said roleplay is a damn competition? Certainly not me. I'm not going to apologize for how I write, how much I write, or how much description I use. Don't write with me if you have a problem with it. If you want to get better stop moaning and whining about it and do it! No one should have to adjust how they write just to accommodate someone's issues with their own writing.

People that half-ass it when doubling. So let me get this straight I can write about 2 to 3 paragraphs for each character, my character and the one you wanted me to play against yours, yet somehow some kind of way you consistently give me a sentence or two for the character you're supposed to be playing against mine. Do you know how disrespectful that is and how irritating to consistently watch you post multiple paragraphs for your end but I'm lucky if I can get 3 lines out of you for mine?

I'm not typically a person who puts a lot of stock in post length, because length doesn't always mean quality or substance, but I'm seriously thinking about putting post lengths back on my interest checks.

Rathian Diablos Rathian Diablos rookie mistake, never do transactional roleplays.

All you gotta do is tell the person “Hey it’s cool I don’t mind playing (Character) for you. You don’t have to play anyone for me.”

9/10 that’s all the person really wants. They just want a straight forward “You play X for Y.”

If the person takes the initiative and starts out mentioning the two characters they want to play then you can make two characters as well.

But if it’s just “oh if you Play A for me I will play C for you.” Tell them no.

Cuz it’s always a lie. They don’t give a shit about playing anyone for you.

Rathian Diablos Rathian Diablos rookie mistake, never do transactional roleplays.

All you gotta do is tell the person “Hey it’s cool I don’t mind playing (Character) for you. You don’t have to play anyone for me.”

9/10 that’s all the person really wants. They just want a straight forward “You play X for Y.”

If the person takes the initiative and starts out mentioning the two characters they want to play then you can make two characters as well.

But if it’s just “oh if you Play A for me I will play C for you.” Tell them no.

Cuz it’s always a lie. They don’t give a shit about playing anyone for you.
I will say this is not exactly true because it's not like every person I double with does this actually if I am, to be honest, it's only like a 1-10 and most people fandom or original RP don't do this but I am thinking about putting, post lengths back on my interest checks to weed these kinds of people out, it's just very annoying when it comes up. So I wouldn't say this is always a lie.

And every now and then I have a pet peeve that is with myself.

Have an idea for an RP, based a little on a very, very old TV show. But having trouble deciding whether to make it:

Historical / Mythological
Modern / Realistic
Future Sci fi / sci fantasy

I will say this is not exactly true because it's not like every person I double with does this actually if I am, to be honest, it's only like a 1-10 and most people fandom or original RP don't do this but I am thinking about putting, post lengths back on my interest checks to weed these kinds of people out, it's just very annoying when it comes up. So I wouldn't say this is always a lie.

My point is this is not a post length issue. You said it yourself the person is already writing multiple paragraphs.

The problem they are only doing that for one character. So that means they only want to play that one character.

Which is why I said always start off by asking “hey can I just play the love interest?”

If they say yes. Then you know they only really want to play one character.

If they say no or if they offer up two characters on their own then you know they will give equal attention to both characters.

As the core issue is with people offering to double when they only want to write one character. Not people not making a specific post length.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back