Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once more, I reiterate
You all may quiver in fear of my completely extraterrestrial and demonic cast
Weirdly enough people get all up in arms about demons too. I think it’s cuz they assume demon = Abrhamic religions.

But demon is like cat. It’s a super general term that can mean a lot of different things depending on folklore and mythology.

Also they aren’t real so you can just make up whatever bullshit you want and call it a demon too.

That's why I don't do historical roleplays. People get upset about what kind of character you want to play. Granted it's historical so going for accuracy but I say to hell with that and anyone telling someone else what kind of characters they should play.

I like making my own history with any type and kind of character I want so no one can tell me what I can and cannot do.

That's why I don't do historical roleplays. People get upset about what kind of character you want to play. Granted it's historical so going for accuracy but I say to hell with that and anyone telling someone else what kind of characters they should play.

I like making my own history with any type and kind of character I want so no one can tell me what I can and cannot do.

Also history isn’t only full of straight white able-bodied people. There were people of different colors, different religions, different sexualities, etc.

For instance in the late 1800s there were several black millionaires in the United States. You never hear about them in history class but that doesn’t mean they didn’t exist.

So when it comes to history I like to take a look at the people whose stories aren’t told in history class. Because realistically it’s not like people starting being LGBTQ+, non white, or neurodivergent within the last thirty years.

As for historical accuracy I take the track that most of what we are told about history is nostalgic based anyway. We know what the idealized version of life was (usually the idealized version that centers straight white men) but reality would be a lot more messy then that.

So if you are going to be idealizing history anyway why not idealize life for people who aren’t straight, white, able-bodied men? If nothing else it makes the roleplay more fun because you aren’t rehashing the same boring old stories.

Once more, I reiterate
You all may quiver in fear of my completely extraterrestrial and demonic cast
All alien cast has my total interest. Demonic stuff, I tend to stay away from. Sci-fi at least pretends to limit its feasibility, while Demon/angel stuff gets OP almost immediately

All alien cast has my total interest. Demonic stuff, I tend to stay away from. Sci-fi at least pretends to limit its feasibility, while Demon/angel stuff gets OP almost immediately

Blame Hollywood. Aliens are made more fuckable and morality tales are given more shoot ‘em up bang bangs.

Cuz like angels and demons that you see in pop culture are no more tied to what’s in the Bible then I love Lucy was a realistic portrayal of the 1950s. There might be some inspiration taken from the Bible but pop culture dramatized the shit out of things to fit narrative convienence.

For that matter once again demons are not the opposite of angels. That is a pretty Christianity specific idea and I’m like 60% it’s not even from the Bible either. Like I am fairly sure that is purely a narrative for secular stuff that plays on literary tropes.

I mean if there are any theologians out there I would love to be proven wrong, but I don’t remember there being a lot of angel vs demon shoot ‘em up bang bangs in the Sunday sermons. (But I also didn’t pay super close attention so I could be wrong as shit).

So yeah Demons are no more inherently overpowered then aliens. They are both just narrative devices to talk about “the other”.

I mean sure people might make demons OP but tbh they make aliens OP as well. Cuz some people just want shoot ‘em up bang bang stories. Nothing wrong with that but it’s not the fault of the genre so much as people choosing to focus on certain aspects of the genre.

Too many RP ideas. Not enough time to run all of them. Why do the RP gods keep treating me this way? 🤣😭

okay, but seriously.... I'm getting real fucking sick and tired of doing all this leg work of setting up my characters for all kinds of RP ideas and then getting nowhere. Or just waiting around for someone to post something of interest and then it never happens. It's like from either side of the approach, I'm not getting anywhere. How long do I have to take away from the hobby for things to change to my favor? Another 5 months? A year? I'm not really finding other things for a relaxing outlet. I've tried playing video games but they are all boring trash. Movies suck, too. I've lready watched and re-watched sooooomany movies, I'm tired of it.

I wanna get some RP done.... but I can't even remember the last successful one Ive been in. I'm just always... waiting. Across multiple RP venues, I'm just stalled out. After a while, that's all I feel I'm going to do. Just perpetually wait.

okay, but seriously.... I'm getting real fucking sick and tired of doing all this leg work of setting up my characters for all kinds of RP ideas and then getting nowhere. Or just waiting around for someone to post something of interest and then it never happens. It's like from either side of the approach, I'm not getting anywhere. How long do I have to take away from the hobby for things to change to my favor? Another 5 months? A year? I'm not really finding other things for a relaxing outlet. I've tried playing video games but they are all boring trash. Movies suck, too. I've lready watched and re-watched sooooomany movies, I'm tired of it.

I wanna get some RP done.... but I can't even remember the last successful one Ive been in. I'm just always... waiting. Across multiple RP venues, I'm just stalled out. After a while, that's all I feel I'm going to do. Just perpetually wait.
If you feel nothing is getting you anywhere, you should probably step away from it. I have no idea how long but you don't seem happy with it or other avenues and no amount of someone giving you advice may change that. You have to find something that works for you whatever that is.

Murdergurl Murdergurl i agree with Inno it sounds like you need to talk to someone. Sometimes having someone else to listen and bounce ideas off of is enough to rekindle enjoyment of things.

So I would see about reconnecting with your IRL friends or family.

If you feel nothing is getting you anywhere, you should probably step away from it. I have no idea how long but you don't seem happy with it or other avenues and no amount of someone giving you advice may change that. You have to find something that works for you whatever that is.
Thats the thing though, I DID step away from it for a good long while. I had actually contemplated leaving the hobby for good. But I really do enjoy writing in groups with other people. It's just... well, it hasn't really happened for me in a good long while. And I don't know what else to do about it, because I just can't seem to level with the majority of the community. I just can't get where I want to with roleplay anymore. Like, the community has just really changed over the years, and I feel like I just can't relate to people in common interests anymore.

I have other hobbies, but they aren't really doing it for me anymore, or I just don't have the time for them. While I've been trying to get myself in an RP group, I've also been scouring Steam for a good game to play. And I'm not finding what I want. I've bought a few books, but I can't get myself through the first couple of chapters of any of them before I get bored or frustrated with trying to edge in time. And ever since I've become a mom, I stopped going out and partying with friends (cause I gotta be responsible now), so I just would really like my roleplay hobby to work out.

Last edited:
Purple prose.

I confess that I've been accused of getting too ornate with my descriptors.
The intricacy of my own phrasing can oftentimes become wholly cumbersome to the ear - or rather, the eye - and this is a fact I must inevitably plead guilty towards.

When people use first person to talk about their characters.

My crush instead of Characters crush
I go to magic school instead of my character goes to magic school.

It’s closer to a pet peeve then a deal breaker but it makes my teeth grind.

Now if they start to call my character “you” I walk away. If you want to self insert that’s fine, if you think my character is me then I’m out.

Random messages from people wanting to roleplay their ideas, their interests without ever asking "Hey, do you have ideas or plots? Or maybe we have common interests?" Or "I think we might be good partners, can we maybe talk further?" Then leave the conversation permanently when they don't get what they want.

A recent acquaintance of mine had me do all the work for our roleplay, this includes writing the starter, only to leave the conversation without a word. Dude, if you're going to waste people's time, don't even bother contacting them.

Every time I see rp search for something I had a lot of interest in the past but right now busy with other things.. I can only think, where were you X years ago?!

When people word things in their search, like

- I WILL be playing my OC to [canon characters]
- [canon character] WILL be my love interest
- You will have to convince me for [fandom]

It's fine to have preferences and to express what you want, but it just gives off the impression that you won't compromise or negotiate at all, on anything.

Also, the wording "my love interest" is kind of icky. I've had bad experiences in past years, where people wanted me to play versions of characters/faceclaims they were personally attracted to over my preference (ex. Andrew Garfield Spider-Man instead of Tom Holland). That's an instant no from me.

When people word things in their search, like

- I WILL be playing my OC to [canon characters]
- [canon character] WILL be my love interest
- You will have to convince me for [fandom]

It's fine to have preferences and to express what you want, but it just gives off the impression that you won't compromise or negotiate at all, on anything.

Also, the wording "my love interest" is kind of icky. I've had bad experiences in past years, where people wanted me to play versions of characters/faceclaims they were personally attracted to over my preference (ex. Andrew Garfield Spider-Man instead of Tom Holland). That's an instant no from me.
Yup. The I WILL is no compromise at all. Basically they're looking for someone to fill a spot so they can get everything they want and the partner will just be miserable. As soon as I see searches like that I skip them quickly.

When you start a roleplay you work out everything with your partner, you're excited, they're excited and then you get sick right at the beginning of it and by the time you feel better you've lost the grove and you're trying to get back into it.

Last edited:
When you start a roleplay you work out everything with your partner, you're excited, their excited and then you get sick right at the beginning of it and by the time you feel better you've lost the grove and you're trying to get back into it.
I'll see that, and add:
When you find a group PR idea that you think you could get into, and make a CS right away... then wait days (maybe even a whole week) with no one else getting anything done, so your enthusiasm for the RP just dies.

not to be a passive aggressive little bitch, but i just saw this girl who ghosted me talking about “please don’t ghost me, it hurts my feelings and it’s not hard to just say you’re no longer interested” in her rules 🤨🤨 be fr!

it’s not even that i’m mad that i got ghosted, it happens sometimes, whatevs. don’t be a hypocrite though, that’s lame

not to be a passive aggressive little bitch, but i just saw this girl who ghosted me talking about “please don’t ghost me, it hurts my feelings and it’s not hard to just say you’re no longer interested” in her rules 🤨🤨 be fr!

it’s not even that i’m mad that i got ghosted, it happens sometimes, whatevs. don’t be a hypocrite though, that’s lame
Over the years, I've come to accept that everyone ghosts someone. Unless you're brand spanking new to the hobby, we've all done it. I know I have, and I expect it to hapen to me in the course of my searches. I've learned to just move on and continue with whatever it is that I'm doing.

The thing that frustrates me more than ghosting, is when you finally match up with someone, and they give you like 5 sentences to your 800+ word post. It's like, I understand you can't mirror me.... but this is ridiculous. And when you ask if they can write a little more, and to take their time and not rush. They add literally TWO sentences within the next five minutes.

At that point I kinda wish they had ghosted me, instead. And then ppl wonder why THEY get ghosted, amiright?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back