Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus holy christ, this thread has 155 pages 0.o

"Ok"

One liners I can tolerate. But this... this breaks me. This is what encouraged me to start putting up interest checks that require at least some kind of introduction first. I once spent about 2 days (TRYING) to RP with somebody who only responded in single words and one liners. I think it damaged my very soul...

Jesus holy christ, this thread has 155 pages 0.o

"Ok"

One liners I can tolerate. But this... this breaks me. This is what encouraged me to start putting up interest checks that require at least some kind of introduction first. I once spent about 2 days (TRYING) to RP with somebody who only responded in single words and one liners. I think it damaged my very soul...
Oh yes, I make it very clear in my interest checks that I'm looking for advanced/literate RPers so I can avoid that. I don't expect a novella every post, but I do ask for at least a few paragraphs so there can be actual character development and stuff for me to reply to. One liners back and forth are frankly boring. I know some might enjoy that sort of thing, but I do not.

Oh yes, I make it very clear in my interest checks that I'm looking for advanced/literate RPers so I can avoid that. I don't expect a novella every post, but I do ask for at least a few paragraphs so there can be actual character development and stuff for me to reply to. One liners back and forth are frankly boring. I know some might enjoy that sort of thing, but I do not.

I think they meant people who apply in the OOC with “okay, sure, that’s fine, etc.”

Basically people you have to drag by their teeth in order to contribute anything to the roleplay.

They might write perfectly long posts in the roleplay itself (ironically enough they usually do. At least enough a paragraph or two)

But they are so hard to talk to in the planning stage you might as well end up writing a fanfic by yourself.

I hate that.

I don’t mind taking the lead in planning but if you aren’t going to participate at all in making the story then I might as well write one on my own.

People who act like you're being a dictator by enforcing the rules of the RP...that they agreed to. Like seriously dude called me a Tyrant because I didn't want to RP with him anymore because being consistently kept giving me one-liners even though we had agreed to 3+ lines meaning 3 lines minimum this was way back before I even started asking for at least a paragraph. Understand that 3 lines don't mean 3 sentences, it's exactly what it sounds like just 3 lines. He went on a tirade about how not all people like making a long post (what long post it's 3 lines?) That just because he likes to make one-liners doesn't mean I have the right to look down on him and it doesn't make him a bad role player and I was being a tyrant.

Uh no, you literally agreed to this before we started. I asked you if you could do 3+ lines, you said yes, when you failed to do that in the beginning I didn't instantly jump down your throat. I was understanding, bent over backward to help you find simple ways to extend your post to reach the 3 line minimum you agreed to and it was clear you weren't going to try or honor the agreement and because I wasn't having fun I quit, by somehow I'm a tyrant for wanting to leave? If I was a tyrant I'd stay and refuse to let you leave.

I hate it when abilities go unexplained, or when people pull the "because MAGIC!" excuse. Sure, because magic, but abilities also have to be fair, or at the very least explained beforehand so it can be tweaked.

As someone who's always bending over backwards to make sure my characters are "fair and balanced," a lack of concern for that kind of thing bugs the hell out of me. Like sure, you can manipulate fire, but to what extent? What are the limits? What needs to happen in order for you to be able to use your ability? I don't need a whole user manual but fam you gotta give me SOMETHING to work with.

Not really a pet peeve per se, but just something I'm more so frustrated at myself for. I would love to have more RP's and go actively seeking them, but my own pickiness gets in the way. I'm lucky if I find anything that holds my interest at all. I'm even luckier if I find something that captures my interest and my partner doesn't just ghost or drop.

Not really a pet peeve per se, but just something I'm more so frustrated at myself for. I would love to have more RP's and go actively seeking them, but my own pickiness gets in the way. I'm lucky if I find anything that holds my interest at all. I'm even luckier if I find something that captures my interest and my partner doesn't just ghost or drop.
I find a good solution is to cultivate friendships. Take an interest in people and their welfare and even if one idea doesn’t work for whatever reason they will be happy to tackle a different one.

I get a few tried and true people I always hit up if I see they’re available no matter how many times the ideas change or flop. Because they’re nice people and we get along really well.

I find a good solution is to cultivate friendships. Take an interest in people and their welfare and even if one idea doesn’t work for whatever reason they will be happy to tackle a different one.

I get a few tried and true people I always hit up if I see they’re available no matter how many times the ideas change or flop. Because they’re nice people and we get along really well.
I do have one partner I frequently go back to since our RP tastes are similar, but I just have so many more ideas I want to write, y'know? The struggle is real 😭

1. When you are the only one participating in creating the plot. You move the plot forward with your posts and all your partner does is go with it and will not reply in OOC to contribute ideas.

2. When you find someone looking for an rp and it all sounds like this rp is gonna be great but they post their intro and it’s super short and lackluster.

3. When your partner writes that your character is surprised or upset. It’s my character and I’ll decide how they feel in response to what your character does. 😫

Rpers adding their own history when in the canon’s plot point it won’t work or make sense.

Rpers messages you about rping but they havent checked out your threads so you dont know if your compatible

This is kind of a nitpick but I was once in a RP where there was one guy who basically spent the entire time RPing with his three characters... interacting with each other... rarely getting involved with the larger plot... and manufacturing a shitload of NPCs whenever his conversations got stale.

Dude... write a book.

I left an rp because really I was only rping with one person the same person who brought me to the rp. I got some rps going but partners post and never responded to mine or never got off the ground.

I tried getting interest on the rp’s discord but didn’t get any one though they responded to others had it hasn’t even been couple of hours for my posts. I just started losing interest and left. Is wrong to find that rude and bad form?

Being unsure if i should change or add something to help others take intrest in becoming partners with me
Like is it my pfp? Or my preferences that scare people off

Okay so this peeve of mine isn't just an issue I have with RP but in media in general, bu it's relevant to RP as well. I absolutely cannot stand when people make a character that does legit fucked up and evil shit and then reveal that they have a tragic backstory and then expect you to feel sorry for them now. I'm sorry but no, absolutely not, I cannot stand that, like this person can be a seriously screwed up individual but as soon as th backstory comes out we're all supposed to say poor baby and hug them onto the side of light, no I'm about to cast you down into the pits of hell where you belong.

Okay so this peeve of mine isn't just an issue I have with RP but in media in general, bu it's relevant to RP as well. I absolutely cannot stand when people make a character that does legit fucked up and evil shit and then reveal that they have a tragic backstory and then expect you to feel sorry for them now. I'm sorry but no, absolutely not, I cannot stand that, like this person can be a seriously screwed up individual but as soon as th backstory comes out we're all supposed to say poor baby and hug them onto the side of light, no I'm about to cast you down into the pits of hell where you belong.
This also is the reason why in my previous post in this thread that redemption plots don’t always work.

I agree with that Zuko is a good example.
I think it's hard to find a good example in RP simply because a lot of writers, amateur writers at least, just don't know how to write villains well. Sympathetic villains even less so since they tend to be fairly complex characters with many layers to be considered.

To add to this, I hate whenever people handwave their character's toxic behavior away with just saying "s/he had a hard life!"

Like... Ok? Someone having a hard life doesn't excuse them being shitty or toxic towards other people.

Truthfully if it was just supposed to be a character flaw that the character was supposed to overcome I would be alright with that. But it is the fact that several times my partner would get upset with me if I had my characters treat theirs as anything less than perfect and justified in all of their actions and beliefs. I am sorry but that girl is toxic no matter how much trauma she went through 😭 my fella has a right to not like that toxicity.

Two characters have just met and have never interacted elsewhere or at any point in time until now. Oh, woah? What's this? They're a couple now, even as it makes zero sense whatsoever or there was no build-up to it.

I'm fine with the "quick and fast" if it's been played for comedic value and recognizes just how absurd it is, but when two characters suddenly start acting as if they've known each other for forever, it drives me nuts. Something like how The Case File of Vanitas treats their main couple in that neither party truly feels for the other at first is perfectly fine, because the writers do acknowledge that the couple is initially a lot less "romantic" or caring of the other.
In the case of The Case File of Vanitas, they do build up the main couple from initially disliking each other to genuinely caring about each other, but this development doesn't come out of nowhere. The development does genuinely come out of the two of them helping each other and helping each other grow as people and coming to respect one another--both parties acknowledging that neither party initially caring for the other in the first place.
But in most of the cases I've seen, people just rush into relationships for the sake of rushing into them.

I am very fond of seeing character relationships grow over time, and I love seeing how character relationship networks end up growing over time alongside seeing how characters begin to grow closer or farther apart. When people impatiently skip all of that build-up, it feels incredibly shallow and artificial. What gets more frustrating, at least, for me, is when these same people make it a huge deal when other people express this same opinion that I express. I know that achieving the romance and build-up that I seek out can be difficult, and I understand the impatience of wanting to "get to the good parts quickly," but for me, that build-up is what makes the romance something that is worth seeing come into fruition.

I agree with that Zuko is a good example.
No Zuko is fine I mean like Miranjo levels of fucked up and then I express how much I dislike this character people come up to me and say "Just wait until you see her backstory" as if seeing her tragic past is supposed to somehow sway me, no, not it did not. Yes it was messed up and nothing justifies what happened to her but am I supposed to now feel bad for her? No, no I do not, she gets not one drop of sympathy from me.

I see this all the time, like 002 now unlike Miranjo I did grow to like 002 even though they completely robbed her of any personality once she turned over a new lead but at least 002 tried to be better but before then I'm not going to lie all the Ichigo hate irritated me so much and not one person could give me legimite answer for it that didn't revolve around 002's backstory that Ichigo had no knowledge of. Like they cried and complained "Ichigo wouldn't let 002 see Hiro, that's all she wanted," Uh yeah and? Are we going to forget that 002 also just got done almost killing Hiro? We gonna forget that 002 almost strangled that boy to death? If my friends let someone who almost strangled me to death near me I'd be looking for new friends "But Hiro wanted to see her too" So? If your friend was being abused would you let them see their abuser just because they wanted to? "Ichigo forced a kiss onto Hiro without his consent to try and keep him from 002" but it was all good when 002 kissed him without his consent multiple times though? Keep that same energy please.

No Zuko is fine I mean like Miranjo levels of fucked up and then I express how much I dislike this character people come up to me and say "Just wait until you see her backstory" as if seeing her tragic past is supposed to somehow sway me, no, not it did not. Yes it was messed up and nothing justifies what happened to her but am I supposed to now feel bad for her? No, no I do not, she gets not one drop of sympathy from me.

I see this all the time, like 002 now unlike Miranjo I did grow to like 002 even though they completely robbed her of any personality once she turned over a new lead but at least 002 tried to be better but before then I'm not going to lie all the Ichigo hate irritated me so much and not one person could give me legimite answer for it that didn't revolve around 002's backstory that Ichigo had no knowledge of. Like they cried and complained "Ichigo wouldn't let 002 see Hiro, that's all she wanted," Uh yeah and? Are we going to forget that 002 also just got done almost killing Hiro? We gonna forget that 002 almost strangled that boy to death? If my friends let someone who almost strangled me to death near me I'd be looking for new friends "But Hiro wanted to see her too" So? If your friend was being abused would you let them see their abuser just because they wanted to? "Ichigo forced a kiss onto Hiro without his consent to try and keep him from 002" but it was all good when 002 kissed him without his consent multiple times though? Keep that same energy please.
Dear god I agree. I noticed Sephiroth in two rps where he’s part of a ridiculous redemption plot. As if forgetting he burned down Nibelheim killing innocent villagers or he murdered president Shinra.

There’s no chance of him being redeemed for the murders including Aerith. Not to mention nearly destroying the planet by the meteor. These kinds of characters can’t be redeemed. I think in Sephiroth’s case he’s too insane and far gone.

Though forcing themselves in part of your mind post makes me angry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back