Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crayons Crayons

I think the first role is the one that they'd like to play as, which can change depending on the RP.

I use them interchangeably since I usually don't have a gender preference. I'll write pretty much any kind of character. Whatever is needed for the RP really.

Without a doubt, number one, people that do not read everyone's posts (correctly) and end up writing counteractive replies.

Been there. It kind of kills the fun of the RP pretty quick when every few posts you have to point out inconsistency. Even faster when the person tries to pretend it wasn't a mistake instead of fixing it.

"Um, yeah, he's not in the room. He's still asleep. As the doctor said he'll be out a long time. And in his condition asking him to help makes no sense."
"I figured this is the next day now."
"This particular section of the conversation literally drug into several hours? Even though they are in a hurry to figure the problem out?"

Got two pet peeves I now have.

1- Finding out someone is whining I'm ghosting them when quite frankly I don't think ignoring them since last year AFTER a altercation that made me unfriend them on shared platforms is ghosting. It's called ending the friendship. Seriously. No one owes someone running around chasing them. (I'm apparently not the only one 'ghosting' them for months)

2- People who like to stalk other people's ex internet friends and keep you updated. :xFrolleyes: Seriously dude. Unless they do something that winds up in the news and makes a TV special who cares if they are whining. It's bad enough I still have to work in the same building as 2 IRL toxic ex-friends.

Enough bookisms! Using said is fine! I don't care what your english teacher said!
This.
People don’t ALWAYS talk in a murmur or purr their sentences or even growl them 😂 ‘Said’ infers that they are talking as they always do which is going to be true 90% of the time. Freaking high school English teachers and their weird hang ups.

Fun fact: Your English teacher was wrong about a lot of things. Did you know that you actually can use "I" in an essay if it's appropriate ("we" also works. A lot of articles are technically essays and they use the editorial we).

This.
People don’t ALWAYS talk in a murmur or purr their sentences or even growl them 😂 ‘Said’ infers that they are talking as they always do which is going to be true 90% of the time. Freaking high school English teachers and their weird hang ups.

It's weird because if you read any kind of book on writing or style guide post-middle school age, they will tell you that you should use "said" pretty much all the time.

I think the issue is is that your teacher is trying to get you to step outside the box and improve your vocabulary, and as a general rule this is a really good thing to do especially if you are school-age. However, I problem I find with a lot of teaching in subjective subjects is that they will tell you to do or not to do something without explaining why - what is the purpose of the exercise (and that's just it, it's an exercise) - and instead framing it as though it's a golden rule for life.

Art teachers do this too: "Don't draw in cartoon/manga style" "Don't put black lines around your drawings" etc. The trick is to try to figure out why they are asking you to do these things. More often than not it's to teach you something else: perhaps they want you to learn how to observe from life properly, or to focus on tone rather than line, but if they don't say that explicitly it's up to you to read between the lines.

If someone is telling you not to use "said" or to excise all adverbs from your work, chances are they are trying to help you to improve the way you observe how dialogue is spoken and/or get a few more words into your vocabulary.

IMO in any subject that is primarily based around creativity, learn the rules, understand why they exist, and then break them like a badass.

So not actually teaching you anything then? XD
He mostly teaches us about various artists and art eras and says "okay the project is emulate this thing" and then lets us figure it out ourselves and when we're done with that and there's nothing else to do we can just mess around with paper and colored pencils or crayons or whatever.

He mostly teaches us about various artists and art eras and says "okay the project is emulate this thing" and then lets us figure it out ourselves and when we're done with that and there's nothing else to do we can just mess around with paper and colored pencils or crayons or whatever.

Omg.

It's weird because if you read any kind of book on writing or style guide post-middle school age, they will tell you that you should use "said" pretty much all the time.

I think the issue is is that your teacher is trying to get you to step outside the box and improve your vocabulary, and as a general rule this is a really good thing to do especially if you are school-age. However, I problem I find with a lot of teaching in subjective subjects is that they will tell you to do or not to do something without explaining why - what is the purpose of the exercise (and that's just it, it's an exercise) - and instead framing it as though it's a golden rule for life.

Art teachers do this too: "Don't draw in cartoon/manga style" "Don't put black lines around your drawings" etc. The trick is to try to figure out why they are asking you to do these things. More often than not it's to teach you something else: perhaps they want you to learn how to observe from life properly, or to focus on tone rather than line, but if they don't say that explicitly it's up to you to read between the lines.

If someone is telling you not to use "said" or to excise all adverbs from your work, chances are they are trying to help you to improve the way you observe how dialogue is spoken and/or get a few more words into your vocabulary.

IMO in any subject that is primarily based around creativity, learn the rules, understand why they exist, and then break them like a badass.
Right???

Alas, this particular HS creative writing teacher was less about expanding vocab and more about believing the 'ideal' for writing was a specific style. Case in point, she would dock marks if you tried to start a story without having the first line be dialogue. "Always start with dialogue" was her mantra.

Imagine my hysterical delight, then, when my university level prof recommended against starting with dialogue and introduced an entirely different methodology. xD

Right???

Alas, this particular HS creative writing teacher was less about expanding vocab and more about believing the 'ideal' for writing was a specific style. Case in point, she would dock marks if you tried to start a story without having the first line be dialogue. "Always start with dialogue" was her mantra.

Imagine my hysterical delight, then, when my university level prof recommended against starting with dialogue and introduced an entirely different methodology. xD

Ha ha, yeah! There's always a chance that the teacher has some bizarre agenda or is just plain wrong. XD I had a teacher at secondary school who was obsessed with the idea that you had to write from your own experience ALL THE TIME. Like, we were fourteen, what kind of experience did we have? Also he obviously didn't know the difference between fiction and non-fiction.... XD There was also one who told us that all stories have the exact same plot, and no it wasn't the Hero's Journey or something vaguely adaptable, it was some bizarre idea of his own that made no sense.

Also pisses me off when people come to me saying their teacher has banned them from drawing manga, and the reason isn't so they can learn art principles or whatever, but that because manga "isn't art" and that is messed up. It kills children's love of drawing and self-confidence.

I'm not saying people shouldn't respect their teachers, of course they should, but it's important to note that your teacher is a fallible human being as well.

Right???

I write in whichever style works for what I'm trying to convey. Critics be damned xD

Putting in a detailed character sheet only to have the RP die either right before starting, or before the first round of posts even ends.
Honestly I quite enjoy writing character sheets (even though I put it off all the time) since then I can reuse the characters elsewhere if the rp doesn't work out.

When we're in a world building rp, I'd really really prefer if we discussed where we wants things to go, or at the very least have the basics down and add on as we go, so we're all on the same page. I had one roleplay where we added onto the world as we went along and it was quite enjoyable

BUT, if the roleplay is based off an already existing world, or something I spent YEARS to build, I personally believe you have no right to change that as you please unless we have discussed otherwise. ESPECIALLY if it's something I have spent hours of my time on to perfect and am willing to share with you. I am always open to ideas, yes, but if you change all of that in the blink of an eye without saying anything beforehand, my interest will tank tremendously.
Another example is if the roleplay is based off an already existing world and rules. I put that in my search, so I assume that you replying to it means that you understand the basis of this idea if you do not say otherwise. I understand hiccups, and I am all for helping you out and giving you a chance to fix it, but arguing with the rules and being stubborn won't give you any good boy points in my book.

On that note, suddenly throwing major things into the plot without talking it through first really gets under my skin for so many reasons. I cannot take in so much information at once, and if you're someone I cannot console with, then I'm sorry, but this probably won't go on much longer. You're the one who replied to MY search thread, we BOTH have a say in what will happen. I understand roleplays taking different directions than planned, and I do enjoy that, but when there's suddenly a person who seemingly knows our characters with a gun pointed at them and there was no mention of this at all in our brainstorming, I'm going to be a little miffed.

Sorry, I just really needed to get this all off my chest for a moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back