Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, fandom rps that insists on adapting every part of the source material, even the stuff that is objectively bad.
Trying to stay on source material is fine, in my book, if that's what they want to do. Bringing in lore or characters from when a show goes downhill or an adaptation that kind of sucks is their prerogative.
Adapting storylines note-for-note from something into RP form with minimal changes never really ends well, on the other hand, and kind of makes roleplaying in a setting redundant if you can't break from this preordained track that you're on.

So there's nothing wrong with liking to make fancy coded posts. I don't have a problem if someone likes that sort of stuff. The problem is when I am expected to make a pretty coded post too. If I wanted to learn how to code, I'd do it, but I don't come here for the visuals, but rather for the story. I get that some people like to have pretty visual posts, but besides a few honorable exceptions, I find coded posts a lot harder to read than regular basic text posts. I understand it's appealing for some, so I won't stop anyone from doing so, but I will not be forced into coding for my posts. I've had to quit more than one RP over this.

Furthermore, there's also the required faceclaim thing. Here's the thing: I don't like faceclaims. I've never liked them. I prefer to just offer a textual description of my character's appearance instead of going out of my way to go find an image that somewhat resembles what I have in mind. Searching for images can be a risky thing to do if you're like me and you don't like encountering inappropriate stuff along the way. Besides, I just don't like using images at all. I'm not fond of realistic nor drawn faceclaims, and would find my way a lot easier without either of them. I've probably had to quit RPs over this even more frequently than the previous reason. No, I don't want to go out of my way to find an image that'll only somewhat resemble what I have in mind even if I'm lucky. If you want to know what my character looks like, I'll provide a textual description, but don't force me into looking for faceclaims. This all ties into one thing: I don't like wasting my time in things that don't really add any substance to the actual RP. Sure, it'll look nicer, but that's just about it. I prefer to put my effort into the text. I came here to write, after all. And while I respect the people who like to put in extra time in effort to code and get images, and I don't criticize them for doing so, I don't like when they try to force me to do those things. For me it really doesn't add anything, and just makes the process a lot slower and more tedious.

Also, the age requirement thing. I mean, I understand the reasons behind it, but I think it mostly depends on what you're roleplaying, and to know how to set boundaries from the start. If you don't roleplay anything weird and you set the boundaries from the start, I don't see the problem. And if anything gets uncomfortable, you end the RP then and there. I've had great experiences Rping with people of all ages. And look, I understand you looking for 18+ in the event that you want to darker themes that you wouldn't want to play with someone not old enough for it, but then there's the requirements of 21+, and who knows how much more. Those I really don't understand. Usually for me age is one of the minor factors I don't really think much about when RPing, though that might just be me, after all I roleplay only PG and PG-13 rated stuff.

Finally, the overly dark stuff. Sigh... look, I really don't see the appeal. I just find it uncomfortable and depressing. And while I respect everyone's likes and preferences, I'd prefer to be warned from the get go that dark themes are obligatory before PMing anyone. See, sometimes I've had someone say they like dark themes, but also say they like fantasy, romance, slice-of-life and other stuff, and that they're open to any ideas. So I assume dark themes is only one of their several interests, and PM them with the hopes of having a nice light-hearted RP with them, only to suddenly run into a wall when they say they won't roleplay without dark themes. Excuse me, but couldn't you have said that from the start? That would've stopped both of us from wasting our time. In fact, this goes for just about anyone who isn't specific about what they require in their roleplays. So I assume they're open to doing different things they mentioned, only to suddenly find out they will only play dark grim stuff, or that they will only play homosexual characters, or that they will only play one specific thing, and will not go into an RP without that one specific element. It's not a problem to like those things, but it would be appreciated if that person explicitly said they will not roleplay without that one element in their interest check so I don't send them a PM only to find out that's the only thing they want to play.

Wow, that got long. I just hope I didn't come off as rude or anything like that. I respect everyone's likes and preferences, I really do. It just bugs me when it seems like the other person doesn't show that same respect, and wants to either force others to do things their way, or they don't explain their requirements clearly in the interest check. I love to roleplay and have fun with other users making interesting roleplays with unique and dynamic characters. It's for the reasons mentioned here that I try to be open and flexible when I host group roleplays. In a recent group roleplay I provided a basic character sheet template, and told everyone that as long as they provided the info required, they could experiment and get creative with their character sheets. I don't like faceclaims, so I didn't require any, but I gave them the freedom to use faceclaims if they want to. I don't code, so I didn't require any coding, but I gave them the freedom to add code to their posts if they want to. I understand many people like those things, so I do my best to be flexible and not turn into the opposite extreme of what I don't like (forbidding faceclaims or coding).

Overall I have to say most of my experiences on this site are very positive. These points I mentioned are just due to a few moments where I had trouble. But I consider myself fortunate that most of my roleplaying experiences have been rather positive.

I'm brand new here, but have been doing roleplay for about 10 years now. So forgive me if I do anything wrong.

But my pet peeve I believe is when someone wants to roleplay, and I love writing starters. I do, so I don't mind doing that. But when I'm trying to plan plot and get their opinions and ideas and they basically give me nothing, and I'm left having to figure everything out myself and get a yes or no from them. Then I write the starter. Then they don't respond. Just help me, tell me what ideas you like, what kind of roleplays you're into. What you want to do plot wise. Don't leave it completely up to me then ghost when you don't like what I've come up with.

When it hasn't been that long since you posted, and it took you longer to post than you are currently waiting, but you are still all mentally WHERES MAH POOOOST when your partner hasn't responded yet, and you can't force yourself to be chill because it doesn't work like that.

but then there's the requirements of 21+, and who knows how much more.
I have the 21+ preference. It's not because of roleplay themes, but the older a person is, the more chances their schedule would be close to mine and it would be easier to arrange things, and also easier to relate (for me) with someone who is older. It's not a guarantee, of course, so it's not a hard requirement, just a preference.

Quarantine won't last forever. And my schedule didn't change at all as we were moved to remote work. If anything, it became worse because now work time and personal time are blurred and work is trying to devour all personal time as I literally work in my bedroom. And I can't be the only one lol
So Quarantine is definitely not an excuse.

Quarantine won't last forever. And my schedule didn't change at all as we were moved to remote work. If anything, it became worse because now work time and personal time are blurred and work is trying to devour all personal time as I literally work in my bedroom. And I can't be the only one lol
So Quarantine is definitely not an excuse.
Is for me. I've got more free time then I know what to do with.

Trying to stay on source material is fine, in my book, if that's what they want to do.
Sorry, I might have worded that part fairly badly.

I wasn't referring to lore and that kind of things but more to things like, say, the tendency to completely change how stuff works on the fly in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Eh...I actually don't mind the mask wearing and social distancing. It finally gives me a socially acceptable excuse to avoid people.
Is "I'm not fond of people." not a socially acceptable excuse when you're an adult?

Because damn being an adult must suck then if you can't use the same excuse you used as a kid.

Is "I'm not fond of people." not a socially acceptable excuse when you're an adult?

Because damn being an adult must suck then if you can't use the same excuse you used as a kid.
Nah. If you don't like people as an adult you're assumed to be rude.

This is kind of a venting thread. I know, we have a few but I just thought of this one. What are some things you've felt like saying in the past or even recently, but you never said it because you didn't want to feel like you were being a jerk?

Inner thoughts:
"Your character is shit, literal garbage, utterly useless, worth less than the energy needed to write this abomination, my six year old nephew could come up with a more believable backstory, your character has the emotional range of a rusty spoon during a rainstorm and makes me want to delete system 32."

Actually me:
"I do like your character but here's a couple a things that we could perhaps modify as to keep them in line with the lore."
ami.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back